Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: There's No Crying in Yachting

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

The sudden departure of one of his teammates leaves Shane struggling to adapt to the unforeseen responsibilities on deck. Coming off her clash with Francesca, Izzy begins to question if the interior satisfies her dream of being at sea. While dealing with demanding guests, Rachel lets her emotions get the best of her, and Francesca loses her composure in front of Captain Lee. Meanwhile, James gets caught in the middle of an explosive guest argument.

Airdate 11.09.2020

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

Izzy phrased her request wrong. She should have said, "Captain, if it's easier for you to find a stew rather than a deckhand, I'd be happy to move to the exterior." That way she'd look like a team player rather than a complainer.

Seriously!   How to get your way through the power of suggestion is a lost art form. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Would it kill Bravo to film this primary being fed to the sharks? 🦈

Or loose him at sea. Perhaps hold his head under the water until you can’t see the bubbles? Nah, he’s not worth doing time for.

I don’t care if he’s paying a million dollars for this charter, I think some things, such as breakfast, should have limits.  Make up a menu of four or five eggs  dishescooked the way you want the  or egg dishes, Omlets with a limit of ingredients, etc. 

I can’t believe I just went on a rant about breakfast on a boat that I have 99.9% of ever being on. I think the last week has fried what brain cells I have left.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

No amount of money could make me work or a yacht with guests like these. I think I would have quit on the first day

Seriously.  At least none of them would want to see me in a speedo 🙂 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Unless I missed it, Rachel set herself up for being a short order cook by not having options options options already set up for breakfast.  Fruit plate, bacon, pastries etc.  I mean, they would have still probably been a pain in the butt but they would have had something to eat on to take some of the pressure off. 

Agreed, why didn’t she send out some breakfast food and then do only eggs made to order? If you don’t limit people, they are going to ask for everything under the sun, as witnessed by this bunch of yahoos.

• Love 21

Why was that big oaf of a primary allowed to run about the yacht harassing the stews?
I don’t mind the chef but she needs to get her workspace in order. Too many special requests.

The two guests fighting over a deckhand. If that were two men fighting over a stew, I would think people would be outraged. Plus the guy is good looking but seems like a tool. 

• Love 17

Well, this season is a dud so far. I do not like not-Kate. Something about Rachel irks me. The deck crew (sans Eddie) and the stews all suck. The primary is unwatchable and gives gay men a bad name. I did not understand the fight at all. Oh well. 

• Love 11

The chef looks so familiar to me. I wondered if she'd ever appeared (briefly) on Top Chef or Chopped, etc. Turns out I may have possibly seen her on America's Top Model, LOL.

Below Deck is not Hargrove’s first brush with reality TV. The chef briefly appeared on Cycle 4, Episode 1 of America’s Next Top Model, auditioning for Tyra Banks in “The Girl Who Is A Lady Kat.”

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I mean, I dislike bell peppers, but in that situation I would just pull them out and mention it quietly to the stew. No way I'd ask it to be redone when everyone is requesting a hundred different things. They are ordering like it's a diner with 8 fry cooks back there!

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I mean, I dislike bell peppers, but in that situation I would just pull them out and mention it quietly to the stew. No way I'd ask it to be redone when everyone is requesting a hundred different things. They are ordering like it's a diner with 8 fry cooks back there!

Hubby likes peppers.  I don’t. I just pull them out.  Agree she should have a planned breakfast menu.  These guests would have asked for something different, though. 

• Love 5

With these multicourse dinners, it seems like a lot is passing the vegan by. Eggplant PARMIGIANA? Crab Legs? CARNE with chimichurri? I keep wondering what the vegan is eating when these platters come out. I mean, I'm an omnivore and the food looks nice, but I can't helping noticing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I did not understand the fight at all.

Me neither. It seemed like one of those things when over-imbibed people get in a tizzy about being "disrespected" and can't let it go.

• Love 13

A couple of things I didn't understand.  During service why was the 2nd stew only serving drinks, why didn't she help with the food too?  It seemed like they kept waiting for Rachel (?) to serve every course. 

If Izzy hates the interior so much why did she even apply for the position? 

That kid Shane bugs the crap out of me.  He acts like he's on his own personal vacation. 

The chef seems really good but she's only one person, those obnoxious guests don't seem to understand that.  I wonder if they were told to act extra entitled by production.  I can't believe that woman freaking out over the deckhand because she liked him first.  Grow the fuck up.

• Love 21

I think more and more the guests are told by production to come on board and act crazy and demanding to amp up the drama. Get the chief stew and the chef crying on the first charter. The 2 women fighting over James and who liked him first reminds me of a few seasons ago when a couple of drunk middle aged women were fighting over Captain Lee. I so wish that somone would look these women in the face and say these people are here to earn good tips and they have no interest in you at all. Get a little self respect. 

• Love 19

I probably missed something out of irritation, but were those women really fighting over James?  I know that's assumed but it just seemed to me like they were fighting (if they even were) over whatever, not James.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, 65mickey said:

So what did these women think that James was going to have a fling with them? Where do they find these guests? They are disgusting assholes. No amount of money could make me work or a yacht with guests like these. I think I would have quit on the first day. 

It just reminded me of being a teeny-bopper and fighting with my friends over who was going to marry Joey McIntyre from New Kids on the Block.    As Laura from S6 said, they need to check themselves.  SMH.

I hope someone pulls Shane aside and gives him a clear description of what he is supposed to be doing.  He obviously doesn't understand his role. 

I understand Francesca's breakdown...I think she feels the need to do everything herself because she doesn't trust the other stews at this point.  However, it's making her crazy.  I hope she is a better manager as the season goes on.

Charley, the primary is an ass.  I didn't like him the other times he was on the show either.  And his charter is going to be on a third episode?!?!?!  Enough already! 

The whole team seems very disorganized.  I hope Lee sees this and straightens them out. 

Edited by Snickerdoodle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

The sexism has just got to stop!!!  James, I guess, is a team player, and didn't mind doing what was requested (also, knowing that if he didn't do it, that would reflect in their tip). 

Yeah, so the primary says "only if he wants to." And while I appreciate Eddie saying "you have an absolute right to say no," once James agrees, he gets a cheer and a "way to be a team player!" So all of us, including James, knows how he's supposed to answer. It didn't seem like he hated it, but I bet he also felt pretty uncomfortable standing there with his dangly bits on display in sparkling lycra. It was JUST PLAIN WRONG to put James in this position to begin with.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I mean, I dislike bell peppers, but in that situation I would just pull them out and mention it quietly to the stew.

It's not hard.  I pick out small things I don't like all the time.  It's not like it was the center of the dish.

eta:  "sunshine" Shane really seemed to get it on WWHL and admitted how wrong he was.  Very unusual.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

The whole team seems very disorganized. 

I think they will be fine (the interior) they just need to get in to their rhythm, the chef seems like she can wow the guests but service and timing or lack of can make her food go down a notch or two.  It seems like they did not get very much prep time before the first charter, is that a normal amount of time between charters or seasons?

Production knew what they were doing when they brought Charley and guests on for the first charter.  I can see the primary asking the stews to unpack for them but the guests too?  That just seemed so extra.

As far as the constant need for espresso martinis would make an experienced stew make a batch of espresso, enough for at least 6 because you know they will want back to back drinks.

I could go a whole season without seeing a crew member in a sparkly Speedo but here we are, first episode in. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I can see the primary asking the stews to unpack for them but the guests too?  That just seemed so extra.

totally. Why anyone would want someone else handling their underwear is beyond me to begin with. They only have three stews! To ask one of them to spend that much time unpacking so many clothes is WHY a lot of other stuff was getting dropped through the cracks.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Snickerdoodle said:

It just reminded me of being a teeny-bopper and fighting with my friends over who was going to marry Joey McIntyre from New Kids on the Block.    As Laura from S6 said, they need to check themselves.  SMH.

I hope someone pulls Shane aside and gives him a clear description of what he is supposed to be doing.  He obviously doesn't understand his role. 

I understand Francesca's breakdown...I think she feels the need to do everything herself because she doesn't trust the other stews at this point.  However, it's making her crazy.  I hope she is a better manager as the season goes on.

Charley, the primary is an ass.  I didn't like him the other times he was on the show either.  And his charter is going to be on a third episode?!?!?!  Enough already! 

The whole team seems very disorganized.  I hope Lee sees this and straightens them out. 

I started getting some serious Danny (from BDM, Season 1) vibes from Shane with the whole assisting with cocktail service.

And, how ridiculous that these guests insisted on having a matching international cocktail for each course.  Again, just soooo freakin' extra!  

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, dleighg said:

totally. Why anyone would want someone else handling their underwear is beyond me to begin with. They only have three stews! To ask one of them to spend that much time unpacking so many clothes is WHY a lot of other stuff was getting dropped through the cracks.

I didn't understand the whole unpacking for all the guests, either, and it did lead to delays and more important things being left to the wayside.

But, Charley and his boyfriend looked like complete slobs - their stateroom was a mess!  (Again, if this is producer driven, you are just making yourselves look sooo stupid and inconsiderate on national TV!)

If these people actually had maids and butlers to do this for them at home, it would be understandable and expected, but I don't think that's the case. 

We've been to a few resorts that included butler service, and although asked, we never took them up on the offer of unpacking.  Maybe ironing and steaming some garments, but not unpacking.  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

And, how ridiculous that these guests insisted on having a matching international cocktail for each course.  Again, just soooo freakin' extra!  

and somehow I doubt that the cocktail was crafted to actually pair with the dish-- showing that they are just low brow posers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Can we talk about the MASSIVE bin full of giant cucumbers they keep showing in the Galley?  I mean, what exactly are all those cucumbers for?  There has to be at least 50 of them and I have yet to see one being used for anything.  Since they get new provisions for each Charter, why in the world would you need a bin full of 50 extra large cucumbers?

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, 65mickey said:

think more and more the guests are told by production to come on board and act crazy and demanding to amp up the drama.

The main charter guest is all over several Facebook groups saying they weren’t told to do anything by production and they were lovely and not high maintenance just expecting first class service and it’s just all editing! Though he is clearly a liar so who knows. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 11

I also have a big problem with the harassment of employees - men or women.   I've had many service jobs before (retail, restaurant, office) and luckily I've had bosses that stood up for me and didn't allow customers to talk to me in an unprofessional way, much less touch me inappropriately, etc.

If i were the stew, I would have cried, too, just from being overwhelmed.  That was a lot of guests, and they were all high maintenance.  And her two stews were shown to be rather incompetent.    I don't remember hearing her complain about them to Capt. Lee ... just said she needed more people.  And he said there were no more beds. 

I don't understand why the yacht staff are brought on board at the absolute last minute and everything is so hurried; it seems like they should bring them in a day or two earlier to make sure everything is up to snuff, provisions are stored the way the staff want them, etc.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The main charter guest is all over several Facebook groups saying they weren’t told to do anything by production and they were lovely and not high maintenance just expecting first class service and it’s just all editing! Though he is clearly a liar so who knows. 

I know - I've seen him in a couple of FB groups, as well.  And, I agree about him being a liar about being high-maintenance.  Unless, of course, he actually doesn't think they were - if that's the case, then he's just delusional.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

The chef looks so familiar to me. I wondered if she'd ever appeared (briefly) on Top Chef or Chopped, etc. Turns out I may have possibly seen her on America's Top Model, LOL.

She looks really familiar to me too.  I don't think I remember her from ANTM. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

Also, will they be asking the stews to repack them? It is only a three day cruise, that stew would never leave the cabins!

The stews unpacking my dainties...that is a no.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

They probably wouldn't know what wine went with what food, they seem more like the type that as long as whatever drink is served with each course is mostly made up of booze.  The mixed a lot of different types of booze, I don't think I could drink the booze blend and be upright very long.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Curious to see who the new stew or deck crew member will be.  I would imagine it will be a previous cast member.

I really hope it's someone we know. It's so good to have Eddie back, but without Kate, we really need another familiar face. It's hard to invest in this new crew, especially Shane and Izzy!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Jsage said:

I really hope it's someone we know. It's so good to have Eddie back, but without Kate, we really need another familiar face. It's hard to invest in this new crew, especially Shane and Izzy!

Usually if it’s someone we know they tease that in the preview by showing part of them and some reaction from the crew.

• Useful 1

Agreeing that I don’t find high maintenance people entertaining to watch & it’s particularly distressing to watch the way they are so dismissive of everything being done for them.  Am I just angry at the 1% or do I just not want to spend MY downtime watching this?

• Love 10