Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: There's No Crying in Yachting

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

I just don’t enjoy this show anymore. Between the sexual harassment and complete ineptitude and disgusting guests, it’s just not fun. I was looking forward to captain Lee coming back but I’m even finding him annoying and ineffectual. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Usually if it’s someone we know they tease that in the preview by showing part of them and some reaction from the crew.

I remember them doing this,too.  But this time with the familiar way the captain called this person on the phone and didn't go through a service made me think it's going to be someone we've seen before.  We'll see!

• Useful 3
22 hours ago, 65mickey said:

So what did these women think that James was going to have a fling with them? Where do they find these guests? They are disgusting assholes. No amount of money could make me work or a yacht with guests like these. I think I would have quit on the first day. 

I did want someone to nicely remind them that James is a deckhand, not a gigolo.  After all the sexism of last season, I hate that we are right back to the idea of the crew being turned into sexual playthings for the guests.  How quickly did Eddie go from telling James he could say "no" to the request to telling him how great it was he was taking one for the team and how it would improve their tip money?  What a terrible message to send.

And seriously, you don't get to complain about service when you make the chief stew send one of her stews downstairs to unpack for all of your guests.  Even if the stew is super fast and efficient, that is going to be a very time consuming chore. 

Also, Eddie if you are going to mock Shane's attitude, just know it is called "Southern California," not "South California." 

But this time with the familiar way the captain called this person on the phone and didn't go through a service made me think it's going to be someone we've seen before.  We'll see!

I could be wrong, but I would presume production has alternate crew members ready to go in case a person is fired or needs to leave. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
20 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, Eddie if you are going to mock Shane's attitude, just know it is called "Southern California," not "South California." 

I am just glad his attitude is being attributed to his being raised in San Diego and not his Berkeley education.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 7

First, I can’t stand what’s his name on WWHL. Andy Cohen?  Ugh. 
Also, on a preview, Izzy is shown in a blue rash guard top.  Hopefully she gets to be deck crew.  
The guests were awful.  That breakfast made me cringe. I get that the crew can’t say no.   But if there was ever a time for a breakfast buffet, that was it.  
And....did they not show the exit and tip?

Edited by Meowwww
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

OMG yes, thank you, I guffawed the instant he said that.

And this is a good opportunity to wonder aloud why everyone is go gung-ho on Eddie.  He was a shitshow - acknowledged by Captain Lee and admitted by himself - last time, and he seems like of every bosun we've ever seen, he's the least able to handle any adversity.  (I will also admit, in his defense, that I'd be furious at Bravo or whomever decided to hire these morons to make my life miserable. )

• Love 7

She looks really familiar to me too.  I don't think I remember her from ANTM. 

To me she just reminds me of Missi Pyle. 

It's super gross to sexually harass the crew, having said that  I don't think the fight was actually about the idea anything real would happen with James it was about general girl/friend code and the fact that friend A was, I thought, fairly open about digging James and asshole primary decided to inflame that by asking James to lavish attention on friend B who was having a birthday on board, then pretend like he had NO idea why friend A was fucking pissed off and embarrassed, then blond guest and boyfriend of primary threw oil on the match. I thought it was pretty hilarious tempest in a teapot honestly, but also when the guests drama llamas are more entertaining than the crew cast than you've got problems Bravo.

I love Rachel so far, I believe the reason she didn't get the galley in order was, she explained, because she showed up for Charter the same day it left, because she got robbed, while every one else had gotten there the day before, so she lost her prep day to travel drama. Hopefully the next charter turn around she can get it marginally more organized. I do think it was a huge mistake to ask for "orders" with these guests and an interior crew she knew was wobbly out the gate. 

• Love 13
On 11/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, 65mickey said:

So what did these women think that James was going to have a fling with them? Where do they find these guests? They are disgusting assholes. No amount of money could make me work or a yacht with guests like these. I think I would have quit on the first day. 

The yacht booking people should’ve made sure the guests were aware that employees aren’t also sex workers. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
On 11/10/2020 at 7:56 AM, Lassus said:

I really don't watch this show to endure people being incompetent and miserable and stressed ALL THE TIME.  I get enough of that in my own life.  And this is BEFORE the COVID has hit. 

I mean, seriously, Bravo,  I get life isn't all rainbows and lollypops but I also don't need it to be Civil War journals reconstructed by Jean-Paul Sartre and read by Leonard Cohen either.

Same for other Bravo shows lately. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Agreeing that I don’t find high maintenance people entertaining to watch & it’s particularly distressing to watch the way they are so dismissive of everything being done for them.  Am I just angry at the 1% or do I just not want to spend MY downtime watching this?

I’m the 1% and I’d chew my arm off before I acted like that. Same for all MY 1% friends. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

All these BD seasons I am still amazed that guests still insist on a costume party, it seems silly to pack a costume that you will only wear once, wear it to a dinner where it is only the people you are traveling with, the energy level would be lacking if there were not a lot of other people costumes as well.  Just sitting a dinner table in a costume seems more bothersome than fun. 

If I were on a private yacht for a few days I would be in a bathing suit or lounging pajamas 24/7, why dress up if you don't have to, (that is the stage of life I am in currently).

I read somewhere (a Facebook group, I think), Charley, the primary guest, said that the cruise was this group's first stop on a three week vacation, ending in Rio de Janeiro for Carnival.  So, they may have had the costume get-ups packed for Carnival.  Either way, I agree with you - it's stupid on a upscale yacht sailing.  On a cheap Carnival cruise - yes, but a high-end private charter yacht - nope, never!

IMO, the closest thing to costumes these guests should do would be a formal or semi-formal night, or possibly a "white night", as that seems to be vey popular in many places, and guests probably have already packed white clothes to travel to warmer climates.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 5
On 11/10/2020 at 4:45 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Agreeing that I don’t find high maintenance people entertaining to watch & it’s particularly distressing to watch the way they are so dismissive of everything being done for them.  Am I just angry at the 1% or do I just not want to spend MY downtime watching this?

I would be very surprised if any of those guests are anywhere near the 1%, or have had any interactions with truly wealthy people.  They're trying way too hard to mimic fussy rich folks they've seen on television.  Their role models are Mr. and Mrs. Howell on Gilligan's Island.

• Love 13

The guests are just trash--they read like some people who struck it big on a scratch-off lottery ticket in the belly of south Florida, but not anywhere cool.  

That being said, I am having serious doubts that Rachel has been a *successful* yacht chef for 14 years if she can't do what a thousand Waffle House/Denny's/Shoney's/etc line cooks do daily.  So what if the pans were bigger.  It's easy to "make" them smaller with barriers.  I can't flip eggs in the air, but in calm seas, I could make those eggs ins Sonja Morgan's non-existent toaster oven.  I think she could too, but is just being dramatic for the show.  At least I hope so.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Lizzing said:

The guests are just trash--they read like some people who struck it big on a scratch-off lottery ticket in the belly of south Florida, but not anywhere cool.  

That being said, I am having serious doubts that Rachel has been a *successful* yacht chef for 14 years if she can't do what a thousand Waffle House/Denny's/Shoney's/etc line cooks do daily.  So what if the pans were bigger.  It's easy to "make" them smaller with barriers.  I can't flip eggs in the air, but in calm seas, I could make those eggs ins Sonja Morgan's non-existent toaster oven.  I think she could too, but is just being dramatic for the show.  At least I hope so.

The main problem was that the pans were trash, sticky, etc... So when you don't have the right material, it's hard to do it. It's as simple as that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 11/11/2020 at 7:55 AM, Lassus said:

And this is a good opportunity to wonder aloud why everyone is go gung-ho on Eddie.  He was a shitshow - acknowledged by Captain Lee and admitted by himself - last time, and he seems like of every bosun we've ever seen, he's the least able to handle any adversity.  (I will also admit, in his defense, that I'd be furious at Bravo or whomever decided to hire these morons to make my life miserable. )

I disagree. Aside from his bone headed dalliance with Rocky, Eddie's always been a top-notch Bosun. The worst thing he did was lie about thei hookup to both save face & his relationship (update: it did not work).  Captain Lee loves him and I enjoy his attitude about work & take on the crew.

• Love 9
On 11/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, snarts said:

I disagree. Aside from his bone headed dalliance with Rocky, Eddie's always been a top-notch Bosun.

This is fair.  The PREVIOUSLY recaps from that season had focused primarily on his Rocky thing, and not his actual, you know, JOB, the performance of which I had forgotten or possibly never paid attention to. 

He simply seems really scattered when dealing with things this season, but maybe that's just a personality thing.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, Lizzing said:

Were these the guests that she made a "gluten free chocolate cake" for?  When she announced that I totally laughed as that was your plain old flourless cake.  It takes good and she made it look fancy but I think if anything she was relieved to be able to make such an easy cake and they seemed to be unaware that it existed.  If they were really strict gluten free they would have come across this dessert already, right?  Instead  of being gluten free to fuck with the crew?

Edited by Eater of Worlds
  • Love 2

I didn't understand the whole unpacking for all the guests, either

Yeah, when I was a kid I visited some people outside of Washington, D.C. who had a summer place near ours to attend (as a spectator) the Washington International Horse Show. The first night required formal dress. I was about 16 years old. I returned to my room to learn that their live-in maid had unpacked and pressed my clothes in preparation for the evening's festivities.

As an adult I have been on ships in accommodations where a butler is assigned to my suite and although an unpacking service has been offered, I have never availed myself of it. Now, pre-dinner hors d'oevres is a whole different matter although the butlers tend to knock briefly and just walk in regardless of my state of undress. They have seen it all.

• LOL 1