Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Chapter Nine - The Marshal

• Start Topic

The Mandalorian and the Child continue their journey, facing enemies and rallying allies as they make their way through a dangerous galaxy in the tumultuous era after the collapse of the Galactic Empire.

Dropping on Disney+ on Friday, October 30, 2020.

• Love 1

Whoa.  That was huge, who would have thought that the Sand People would work with the other inhabitants of Tatooine?  And that we'd get a Krayt Dragon?

Also, some random dude showed up at the end.  Pretty sure he's not important, we've never met him, and he probably doesn't have any connection to any character we know, like say Han Solo.

Edited by Jediknight
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Beskar is also acid resistant! Is there anything that beats it??? OK, lightsaber....

Mos Pelego will be just like Deadwood in a few years...cantina will be renamed as The Gem

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I do love a good ballista. And the visual of the Tuskens arriving on banthas was my favourite.

Hey, R5-D4. Looks like he got some work done in the last few years.

Favreau has clearly played KOTOR. That was the strategy for taking down the krayt dragon. Mine the entrance. Furthermore, the dragon pearl. Though there it was small enough to fit in a lightsabre hilt. When the mines didn't do the job, my first thought was a poisoned or explosive bantha. Down the throat is always a fun trope.

Finally, the Tusken rifles reminded me of the Afghan jezail. Not identical, but reminded me of. Given that they were used for similar purpose, to fire down from cliffs, I suspect that's deliberate.

• Love 5

Awesome!!

How many of you recognized that vintage Raylan Givens/Seth Bullock stance the minute The Marshal appeared in the doorway? I might've WHOOPED and then melted into a puddle of fangirl delight.

Also, I won't lie — the dragon 🤮  made me giggle.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Wickedeve said:

Awesome!!

How many of you recognized that vintage Raylan Givens/Seth Bullock stance the minute The Marshal appeared in the doorway? I might've WHOOPED and then melted into a puddle of fangirl delight.

Also, I won't lie — the dragon 🤮  made me giggle.

I know him best from Die Hard 4.0. Been a long time since I saw that, and he didn't have silver hair or a beard back then. So while I thought he looked familiar, my best shot was a bit Will Riker.

Hmm... that Marshal is a silver fox!  Very glad he took his helmet off, if you know what I mean... 😉 

No, but seriously, that episode was so good.  I have to watch it again because I know I probably missed half of it.

Also, was anyone else yelling at Mando to stop leaving the Child alone in the fighting gym, or outside on the speeder bike, or alone in the bar when the whole town is shaking, or quite frankly - anywhere?  He's not a great protector so far...  

• Like 1
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Hmm... that Marshal is a silver fox!  Very glad he took his helmet off, if you know what I mean... 😉 

No, but seriously, that episode was so good.  I have to watch it again because I know I probably missed half of it.

Also, was anyone else yelling at Mando to stop leaving the Child alone in the fighting gym, or outside on the speeder bike, or alone in the bar when the whole town is shaking, or quite frankly - anywhere?  He's not a great protector so far...  

I know. Why couldn't he leave Baby with Peli Motto and her droids? 

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I know. Why couldn't he leave Baby with Peli Motto and her droids? 

Wherever Mando goes, he goes.  

I thought about that too, but I guess he has a new rule this season?  If he'd left him with her only about 3 minutes after saying that line, we'd probably be complaining about that too! 🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

So if that was Temuera Morrison in the final shot...which Fett is he playing? 

Spoiler

ETA: Wikipedia says it's Boba Fett.

(Spoiler tagged in case this is a...spoiler.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

So if that was Temuera Morrison in the final shot...which Fett is he playing? 

Reveal spoiler

ETA: Wikipedia says it's Boba Fett.

(Spoiler tagged in case this is a...spoiler.)

I'm not sure that's a spoiler.  I think it's obvious given where The Mandalorian fits in the Star Wars timeline, which is well known and not a spoiler.  Jango would be... dead.  

• Love 2

The Mandalorian is back and continuing to show that apparently mixing the western genre with Star Wars is a recipe for success!

Knowing that Timothy Olyphant was going to be showing up this season, as soon as I saw that this episode was titled The Marshal, I figured it was going to be him, because, really, who other than Olyphant could pull off a marshal in a small, dangerous town, in the outer rim of Tatooine?  Complete with him unknowingly cosplaying as Boba Fett?!  Great appearance, and I hope we see him again.  Apparently he wasn't the only former Deadwood alumni here, because according to IMDB, W. Earl Brown was playing the alien bartender.  Thought his voice sounded familiar!

Liked how they worked in the Tusken Raiders here and seeing more of their culture and way of life.  One of the many things I've been enjoying about this series is seeing some of the smaller aspects and alien species get bigger roles heres.

While I understand Mando not wanting Baby Yoda out of his sight anymore, that poor kid is certainly learning quickly about the dark side of life!

I figured there was going to be a final surprise at the end, but the reveal of Temuera Morrison's character was still cool.  Since he notably played Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones, the safe bet is that he is going to end up being a still alive Boba, unless he's playing one of the former clones for some reason.

Glad that the show is back and can't wait to see more wacky adventure of the bounty hunter dad and his alien child!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So is this Olyphant's fate now, wander from show to show playing Marshals?

Instead of the Flying Dutchman, he is the Wandering Marshal. 

I forgot hearing that Timothy Olyphant would be here, so I straight up cheered and laughed when he pulled his helmet off. I never knew I needed a crossover between Star Wars and Deadwood, but it turns out I did. Great start to the new season, very happy to have this show back. More exciting adventures of our favorite armored space bounty hunter and his super adorable alien baby! 

Like I said, it was great seeing Timothy Olyphant, he of course fits right into a space western, and I do love how this show takes many of the stock western plots and adds new science fiction elements to them, this was a ton of fun. It was really cool learning more about the Tusken Raiders, and the Raiders and everyone else who lives on Tatooine making peace is a pretty big deal. And all it took was a super cool looking carnivorous sand dragon...

Nice seeing Peli again, and that Mando is still moving past his hatred of droids after IG-11 sacrificed himself to save everyone. Who could hate those cute little metal goobers? 

I can understand that Mando never wants to let the baby out of his sight, but maybe he should start looking up babysitting services when he is going to super sketchy places to meet with sketchy people where violence is inevitably going to break out. 

Did a wild Boba Fett just appear? 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, paigow said:

If Favreau was going to reboot Tremors, he should have invited Kevin Bacon...

Burt Gummer

Spoiler

except he's dead

That was my first thought what the town started rocking and reeling -- Mos P has graboids.   

Awwww Baby Yoda.   So excited on the speeder -- go faster daddy.    Then in the cantina when the aforementioned rocking and reeling started, he hides behind then IN the pot.   The poor thing when he saw that Raider eaten instead of the Bantha.   Then when daddy got et.   Oh he was heart broken.   Daddy should have thought about that.   But yep, spits the Mandalorian back out.

Aaaaaaah.   So worth the wait.   

• Love 9

Note to Mining Collective: Aim for the exposed fleshy parts when confronted by a guy with armour that is under-sized...

Note to Mando: Galactic Health Regulations dictate that raw meat must be transported in an airtight container within a temperature range of 1 - 5 degrees Celsius. Violations are punishable by fines of up to 300 Imperial Credits

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm not sure that's a spoiler.  I think it's obvious given where The Mandalorian fits in the Star Wars timeline, which is well known and not a spoiler.  Jango would be... dead.  

Thanks. I'm no Star Wars expert but I thought I remembered eleventy-billion Fetts as clones in one of the prequels, so...thanks for clarifying that at this point in the story we're flying on just one Jett. :)

• LOL 1

They're leaning completely into the Space-Western theme this episode: powwow by campfire with the natives all under the shadow of Ennio Morricone-like score.

And add Timothy Olyphant in a ghost town for good measure.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 5

Welcome back show! I should have recognized Olyphant when he was in the doorway. I knew the stance looked familiar but, couldn't place it. Good casting for The Marshall. 

As much as I enjoyed the opening fight sceen, I liked the way it was in the trailer,  Baby Yoda closes the dome darkness with shooting sounds and then opens/lights up to Mando surrounded by dead bad guys.

The Krate Dragon brought back memories of KOTOR. Still waiting for HK-47 to show up in something.

• Love 1

I had totally blanked that Timothy Olyphant was on this season, so when the Marshal was standing in the doorway, I thought, hmm, they should have gotten Timothy Olyphant, I'm really getting that vibe from this guy....

As far as taking the Child with him - well, that's a big part of the reason that so many people watch, so if he just left him behind, we wouldn't have the cute little moments where he's all big eyed at someone getting eaten by a krayt dragon...

• Love 8

Happy Mandoween! What a great episode. I am so happy episodes are only dropping once a week. 
Loved Timothy Olyphant. Like, PLEASE bring him back. Holy silver fox Batman. Loved him going “one moment” when the dragon rolled into town. 

I wonder how many times Din worked with the Tusken Raiders previous to the things we’ve seen before with them and Din. He’s not using real ASL sign language right as the Tusken language? This is just made up hand signals right?

I also loved the opener. I was wondering if they showed so much of that fight in the trailers because it was in the first episode. I kinda wish they would drop the planet or moon name of this place. Loved the graffiti, the fight house and the wild weird animals at the end. I have been WAITING for a punch to the helmet so I was laughing with joy throughout the fight. 

Sooooo, how far into Star Wars can we speculate with that ending? Can we refer to other shows like Rebels or Clone Wars too or do we have to spoil/hide it? Because Temuera Morrison could be Fett. Or he could be 

Spoiler

Any of the surviving clones right? I mean Fett seems like the super obvious answer. But what if he’s Cody?! I mean Kanan talked about in Rebels how the Clones “claimed” they had the chips and they were turned on which means at some point the story got out about Order 66 and possibly the Clones were able to escape their Clone life post Order 66. The way Kanan stated it really seemed that way. Or was Temuera looking too young? Rex, Wolffe, and Gregor looked pretty old in Rebels. And we know Rex fought at Endor.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Thanks. I'm no Star Wars expert but I thought I remembered eleventy-billion Fetts as clones in one of the prequels, so...thanks for clarifying that at this point in the story we're flying on just one Jett. :)

I think he’s too young to be a clone. The clones age faster than normal. That combined with the location and armor seemingly leaves only Boba. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think he’s too young to be a clone. The clones age faster than normal. That combined with the location and armor seemingly leaves only Boba. 

Unless they found a way to slow or reverse their aging process. The Kalaminos figured out how to make them age fast, they could have macguffened a way to slow it down or reverse the aging process. I mean honestly, it would be more fun to guess which Clone/Fett we’re seeing then it just being Fett.

Great episode, the epicness and sense of scale wS very impressive.  It's great having The Mandalorian back.

Timothy Olyphant is a great addition to the show, which I expected.  Greatly enjoyed getting a look at Tattooine immediately following ROTJ.  Having read some of the old EU, I enjoy getting more stories involving the Sand People.  Not enough of Baby Yoda in this one but still great fun.

Awesome seeing Teumeria Morrison again, who I think is safe to say is playing Boba Fett.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Sooooo, how far into Star Wars can we speculate with that ending? Can we refer to other shows like Rebels or Clone Wars too or do we have to spoil/hide it? Because Temuera Morrison could be Fett. Or he could be 

Reveal spoiler

Any of the surviving clones right? I mean Fett seems like the super obvious answer. But what if he’s Cody?! I mean Kanan talked about in Rebels how the Clones “claimed” they had the chips and they were turned on which means at some point the story got out about Order 66 and possibly the Clones were able to escape their Clone life post Order 66. The way Kanan stated it really seemed that way. Or was Temuera looking too young? Rex, Wolffe, and Gregor looked pretty old in Rebels. And we know Rex fought at Endor.

There a spoiler thread for everything Star Wars that is probably the safest place for that conversation. 

Edited by Guest

The moment Olyphant walked into the screen, helmet on and all, I knew it was him. I would know that walk/pose anywhere. He has mastered it. Dude is aging wonderfully. He's clearly getting typecast a bit but he plays these kind of character types so well, and still makes it feel fairly fresh, that I certainly don't mind. Maybe give him a spinoff and cast Walton Goggins in it, basically what I'm saying is just give me Space Justified lol (and I'm only slightly joking about this). 

Edited by haje
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can understand that Mando never wants to let the baby out of his sight, but maybe he should start looking up babysitting services when he is going to super sketchy places to meet with sketchy people where violence is inevitably going to break out. 

Much like care.com here on Earth, maybe spacecare.com is available in the Outer Rim ?  :)

• LOL 4

That was fun - loved the shout outs to Dune and Jaws.

Well, I'm glad I avoided spoilers! I must admit that for a brief moment when Mando told the Marshal to take care of the kid should he not return, the thought crossed my mind that this would be a great show too. Sorry Mando.

I understand Mando not letting the kid out of his sight. And the kid is adapting to Mando's -ahem- lifestyle, the moment he noticed the whistling birds activating, he knew what to do, he! (And of course having the kid around in all those dangerous scenes keeps the audience on edge because we all wait for him 'to do the hand thing'.)

• Love 9
On 10/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, merylinkid said:

Awwww Baby Yoda.   So excited on the speeder -- go faster daddy.

Bluurg bad, Blurrg slow, Old man die.

20 hours ago, benteen said:

Awesome seeing Teumeria Morrison again, who I think is safe to say is playing Boba Fett.

Hah! All of you are wrong... He is Thomas Curry, father of Aquaman

• Love 2

What Should Have Happened

{Exterior: Mos Eisley Hangar]

Peli Motto: Thank The Force!

Mando: Have you ever seen another Mandalorian here?

Peli: No. But there is a creepy guy living in the desert spying on some kid.

Every time you ask him a question, he interrupts, then you forget what you were going to say.

Mando: Can he move objects with his mind????

ETA:

I know Kenobi is dead, but that name and Skywalker will get him more leads than beat up armour and a busted jet pack

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 2:53 PM, paigow said:

If Favreau was going to reboot Tremors, he should have invited Kevin Bacon...

They missed an opportunity to tell the krayt dragon that it picked the wrong goddamn sarlacc pit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

On the spitoon: maybe Tatooine had its own version of spitting tobacco. Though now the thought of the baby in that spitoon. Yuck. 

I really enjoyed getting to see more of the Sand People culture. As the tribe approached the town, I felt like I could hear Ben Kenobi in my head, "Sand people always ride single file to hide their numbers." And they did. I loved that. I also enjoyed their celebratory cheering with both arms and their guns over their heads. More serious of echos of what we saw in the original movie. 

Do we know what the sphere was that they found in the krayt dragon at the end? 

Edited by bethy
  • Love 7
On 10/30/2020 at 3:34 PM, AimingforYoko said:

It's not hard to put the pieces together

... so to speak.

Great to have The Show back, love the return to Tattooine, love them fleshing out the Tusken Raiders as more than one-dimensional scary-joke bad guys (much like Star Trek: Deep Space 9 did for the Ferengi). But sand worms! Does every desert planet in every universe have sand worms!? Frank Herbert has much to answer for.

Liked seeing Mando softening on droids. Just before we watched the new episode, we watched the last 3 eppys of season 1, so the sacrifice of IG-11 was fresh in our minds. I'm glad that affected Mando as much as it did us! 

I almost thought Mando was going to break his code at the end and let the Marshal keep the armor. But no, some things are sacrosanct, apparently.

The production values on this show are truly wonderful. The visuals are consistently spectacular. Disney is sparing no expense and it shows.

• Love 9