Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Chapter Nine - The Marshal

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, raven said:

He did the same thing in S1 with Kuiil - he called him "Ugnaught" until Kuiil says "I have a name.  It is Kuiil".   It's kinda rude and also probably a way to distance himself from potential bounties.

Well, everyone does it to him, so why wouldn't he do it to everyone else?  "Hey, Mando!"  That's not his name.  He doesn't want anyone to know his real name and prefers to be called Mando though, so maybe to him it isn't rude?  Maybe he thinks everyone wants that anonymity unless they say otherwise?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, raven said:

He did the same thing in S1 with Kuiil - he called him "Ugnaught" until Kuiil says "I have a name.  It is Kuiil".   It's kinda rude and also probably a way to distance himself from potential bounties.

I can buy the Mandalorian doing that, but what struck me is that it was the Marshall (Vanth) that called the bartender "Weequay." I guess it could just be what the bartender goes by in town as a nickname (he looked like the only non-human living there), but given that Cobb and the bartender seemed to have a kind of camaraderie going back a ways, it seemed odd and maybe a little bit racist. Like calling the Native American bartender in an Old West town "Injun" or "Tonto" or something. Something I could see the average jerk/racist townsfolk doing, but not someone who seemed familiar like Cobb.

This may just be my modern day cultural sensitivity speaking and not align with the "real world" of deep space territorial living. 😀

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I can buy the Mandalorian doing that, but what struck me is that it was the Marshall (Vanth) that called the bartender "Weequay." I guess it could just be what the bartender goes by in town as a nickname (he looked like the only non-human living there), but given that Cobb and the bartender seemed to have a kind of camaraderie going back a ways, it seemed odd and maybe a little bit racist. Like calling the Native American bartender in an Old West town "Injun" or "Tonto" or something. Something I could see the average jerk/racist townsfolk doing, but not someone who seemed familiar like Cobb.

This may just be my modern day cultural sensitivity speaking and not align with the "real world" of deep space territorial living. 😀

Could it be that he doesn't have a name?  I don't know, just a thought.  I don't know much about Star Wars, so to tell you the truth, I didn't even catch that.  I think I thought that was his name. 😉  I'll have to watch again.  (Oh no, a reason to watch again??  How awful... 😄 )

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think it was established that Cobb and the bartender were buddies, so maybe 'Weequay' was just a bit of jerky teasing? I was more confused by the bartender's ignorance of Mandalorians. But if he was good friends with Cobb he must have known that his buddy's armor could get him into trouble should a real Mandalorian show up one day. So maybe it was him trying to cover for Cobb.

• Love 2

I just checked out the Wookieepedia entry on Weequays.

Weequays had the ability to communicate with members of their own clan through smell by exuding complex pheromones. This pheromonal language could not be understood by any other species, or even by Weequays of another clan. Only Jedi senses could even tell that two Weequay were communicating. Gotal were also able to sense their communications. Since each Weequay's pheromones were unique, Weequay had no need for a name within their clan. As a result, speech was only a secondary form of communication for Weequay, and they seldom spoke a whole sentence, resulting in Humans mistakenly believing the species to be unintelligent.

Only Weequay who had to live among other clans, or among non-Weequay, took a personal name. Even then, some were simply referred to as "Weequay". In Weequay culture, individual identity was much less important than the clan.

There isn't much information in canon yet, so my guess is Favreau either liked the idea of the nameless Weequay, or didn't want to rock the boat. Let's be honest, there's something going on with names and identities in the show. It might mean something, it might not. But it's in keeping.

• Useful 9
  • Love 3

I finally watched -- I saved it until yesterday for a nice distraction, and it was indeed a nice distraction!

I loved the deeper exploration of the Tusken Raiders -- and the callbacks to their always travelling single file.  Nice that Mando is fluent in their language.  I hope that treaty holds.

Like most of you, I was always concerned when Mando left The Child randomly in the pannier on the bike!  Also, flying through the desert like that, the kid really at least needed goggles to keep sand and dust and whatnot out of those giant eyes. 

And also like most of you, my first thought was Tremors, followed by Dune.  And then when the vomiting started, Mr. Creosote from Monty Python's Meaning of Life.  But I suppose instead of a wafer-thin mint, we had a not-quite-so-thin Bantha.  I am not a fan of vomit jokes, though, so I could have done without the Krayt dragon vomit.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

I just checked out the Wookieepedia entry on Weequays.

There isn't much information in canon yet, so my guess is Favreau either liked the idea of the nameless Weequay, or didn't want to rock the boat. Let's be honest, there's something going on with names and identities in the show. It might mean something, it might not. But it's in keeping.

Anduin-

Thanks for the info. I confess that I haven't kept up with much Star Wars canon since the first Thrawn novels and a couple of the others after that. This makes sense, if they communicate through a non-verbal language.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Anduin-

Thanks for the info. I confess that I haven't kept up with much Star Wars canon since the first Thrawn novels and a couple of the others after that. This makes sense, if they communicate through a non-verbal language.

I'm just happy that some trivia floating around my brain is actually useful now and then. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Loved this episode.

I just kept thinking of Knights of the Old Republic, my absolute favorite Star Wars game.

Between negotiating/working with the Tusken Raiders, and how to defeat the Krayt Dragon, while unlikely I felt like I was watching Knights of the Old Republic moments on come to life. 

• Love 3

I'm re-watching this episode today and I spotted something that warmed my little SciFi/Fantasy-loving heart.  When Mando comes out of the mouth of the dragon, the scene is shot just like the last moments of Legolas' single-handed take-down of a Mumakil in Lord of the Rings.  Check out how he looks just past the camera (in heroic close-up) and then looks over his shoulder to see the beast's final moment.  I'm hugging myself with geek glee.

That hug allows me to look past some plot holes in this episode such as where did the Marshall obtain a new missile for his back-pack missile launcher after he used the original missile to take out the fleeing pack of mining guild extortionists?  I suppose you can fan-wank that he never actually DID blow up that group of bad guys -- he just said that to Mando to make himself look heroic -- but still.  It makes me go "hmmmmm."

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I decided to watch this series when I saw Timothy Olyphant was going to be on.  I am so happy that this series turned out to be  really, really good.  

And I really loved this episode.  Mando driving his landspeeder into town and seeing the wary town folk look at him with suspicion.  I knew TO immediately by his stance.  And I was pleased to know that W. Earl Brown was the barkeep.  That the story included  a plan with both the Tusken Raiders and Town folk working together that included there will be peace between the 2 groups in the future was very well done. 

And the special effects are top notch.

• Love 4
On 10/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, paigow said:

These Dragons are apex predators...How many are there? Why is anything else still alive?

I also wonder that about Skull Island in King Kong--it supports a giant ape, a T-Rex plus a bunch of other predatory dinosaurs, a giant crocodile, a giant bear--where the hell do they find that much food? Is there a special Skull-Island-only oxygen-rich atmosphere? It makes no sense.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

To die hard Star Wars fans, aren't all 6 of those movies basically awful?  I don't know, I'm not a die hard fan, but that seems to be what I read.  (I've seen them all, and some were ok and some were horrible; I can't say that I loved any of them.)

God, no! I love The Last Jedi and quite liked The Force Awakens. I haven't re-watched TROS but I enjoyed it (and if I glumly admit it's not great). And when the prequels are playing on cable, I usually turn to them. It's just nice being back in that universe.

I do however dislike all the connections--Anakin built C-3PO, Yoda knows Chewbacca. That's just cheesy.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, meep.meep said:

I have seen the 9 movies, but I don't play video games or watch cartoons.  Clearly this is going to bring me lots of interesting new creatures.  Is the Krayt dragon related to the creature that Han flies the Millenium Falcon into in the Empire Strikes Back?

No, the creature on the asteroid is called a space slug.

• Love 3

This is such a cool western!

in the bar there was even a standoff where we saw the Marshall hand hover near his gun (then the dragon came by).

love LOVED the doggy thing loping over to have its sides patted and neck scratched.

poor baby Yoda looked nervous a lot this episode but I too bowled when he thought up Birdie thing closing my pram  now (could get messy).

love aunt Pelli wanting one for herself. Mechanic droids were cute. 

I'm of course way behind, but feel like commenting anyway. I have the broad strokes of the show, so I know what's coming up. 

I don't know if anyone played the Knights of the Old Republic game (A+ btw), but you have to kill a krayt dragon to get the eggs in one of the quests, and it *was not* easy even with the Force. So I was like, 'good luck' when they were talking about killing it here. 

I've seen some discussion about The Clone Wars and Rebels. I have to highly highly recommend both. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

What kind of an idiot punches a guy in armour? It can stop blaster fire, what is a fist going to do?

Tatooine (apparently it's also Arrakis)? It really is a small Galaxy! Though I did love Baby Yoda’s little ears flapping in the breeze.

I guess we’re meant to assume the armour used to be Boba Fett’s (though how it got out of the Saarlacc is another mystery). And if he did escape (the old SWEU said he had, too, so fine), why give up the armour? Does he no longer "deserve" it per the Code?

On 10/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, Jediknight said:

some random dude showed up at the end.  Pretty sure he's not important,

Yeah. They probably just had some unused footage and didn’t want it to go to waste.

Good Sand People? It’s almost like a Galaxy where everyone from one race doesn’t have only one character trait. What next – female Jedi? Black Stormtroopers?

On 10/30/2020 at 11:20 AM, Anduin said:

Furthermore, the dragon pearl.

Is that what it was? I thought they were happy they just got their football (soccer ball, for you left ponders) back!

On 11/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm not completely convinced that it was a spittoon.

I'm not either. Tatooine is a desert world and they shouldn’t go just wasting water like that. (In Dune, Fremen spitting on your floor is a sign of respect – it shows you’re willingly to  sacrifice your water to your host)

• Love 1

I was going to give myself an artificial hiatus before starting Season 2 but I couldn't resist and gave in to the dark side.

This episode was a little slow and long, but it was still relatively interesting to watch the conflict and cooperation between the townspeople and the Sand people.  The Marshall was likeable.  That Mando equipment he had was ultra useful so I hope he will be able to protect the town without it.

Mando walked with the baby into the fight stadium in front of all the shady people there, so it shouldn't take long for that villain from last season to track where the Mando with the green baby has been sighted.