Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Chapter Nine - The Marshal

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, bethy said:

I really enjoyed getting to see more of the Sand People culture. As the tribe approached the town, I felt like I could hear Ben Kenobi in my head, "Sand people always ride single file to hide their numbers." And they did. I loved that.

I thought the same thing re: single file banthas. And I also loved the treatment of the Sand People as... people (even if it was a bit too on the nose with the Native American parallels). They have always been treated pretty one-dimensionally in prior movies and shows, at least as far as I've seen.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I wondered if that was turning into another 'egg-orgy' like in season one but it's apparently a krayt dragon pearl - i.e. another deep dive into SW geekdom by Favreau and Filoni.-

I expect it is something like a gallstone, then?

38 minutes ago, paigow said:

These Dragons are apex predators...How many are there? Why is anything else still alive?

Good question. Do we have any idea how long their hibernation periods are, when they aren't being disturbed by Tusken Raiders emulating their call?

• Love 3
On 10/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, merylinkid said:

Awwww Baby Yoda.   So excited on the speeder -- go faster daddy.    Then in the cantina when the aforementioned rocking and reeling started, he hides behind then IN the pot. 

There were a lot of gross-out elements to this episode (dragon puke, exploding dragon guts) but the one that got to me was the Baby hiding in that pot.  Because this episode was clearly a western.  Which makes that pot a spittoon.  Ew.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Baby is back! 😍I loved all his adorable expressions. Timothy Olyphant! The instant I heard his voice and saw his walk, I knew it was him. Who better to play a marshal in a galaxy far, far away? I loved seeing Amy Sedaris again.

This was a straight up Western movie episode: the beleaguered townsfolk, the native people, the mysterious gunman, and the marshal joining forces to defeat the enemy. BTW, I loved the Tusken “dog” wagging it’s stub of a tail when Mando petted him! Cute! 
And the Baby! 😁

On 10/30/2020 at 5:53 PM, paigow said:

If Favreau was going to reboot Tremors, he should have invited Kevin Bacon...

I shouted “Tremors” when the dragon was rumbling toward the town. 😆
Nobody has mentioned it, so I will: John Leguizamo was Gor Karesh, that creep at the prize fights.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

So was it The Marshal who was at the end of that episode last season? We just saw his boot and I think he was standing over Ming-Na Wen's character (iirc).

Or maybe it was Boba Fett 🤔 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

So was it The Marshal who was at the end of that episode last season? We just saw his boot and I think he was standing over Ming-Na Wen's character (iirc).

Not likely...He would have no reason to be that far away from town. Also, he is not a Sith Lord with the power of resurrection...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

Or maybe it was Boba Fett 🤔 

Not likely...Why would he be roaming that far? Even if it was him, so what? He might find some credits and weapons but then he would leave the body.  

Edited by paigow
On 10/30/2020 at 5:22 AM, Wickedeve said:

Awesome!!

How many of you recognized that vintage Raylan Givens/Seth Bullock stance the minute The Marshal appeared in the doorway? I might've WHOOPED and then melted into a puddle of fangirl delight.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:59 PM, Msample said:

I didn’t even need to see him take off the helmet; Olyphant’s gait and posture were the giveaway. I do hope he turns up again.

As soon as I saw him standing in the doorway, I knew it was Tim Olyphant (and I had no idea he would be appearing this season). Apparently even in space, he still gets typecast! It's been great to see him on so many shows this year. After Santa Clarita Diet got cancelled, I wasn't sure how long it would be before he popped up again.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:48 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

was anyone else yelling at Mando to stop leaving the Child alone in the fighting gym, or outside on the speeder bike, or alone in the bar when the whole town is shaking, or quite frankly - anywhere?  He's not a great protector so far...  

Not just leaving him alone but having him out in plain sight in front of all kinds of scoundrels! I kept waiting for someone to try to run off with him.

• Love 3

I liked how they showed the Bantha's highly developed survival instincts. The sandworm comes charging out of the cave mouth and the Bantha is like "Yep that dude can run away and make all the noise, meanwhile I'll just stand here all quiet-like while he's being swallowed whole and the sandworm won't even notice me."

Of course that didn't work so well in the final fight. Bantha is like "Ho-hum I'll just stand here while this guy right next to me starts running away… Uhhh any time now… Hey dude!!! That thing is charging right at us, why aren't you moving your ass away from me!!! Oh shi…""

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

If this were purely an episodic series, I would have expected Din to deem the Marshall worthy of the armor, and allow him to keep it as an honorary Mandalorian.  Instead, that may be more of a finale episode kind of move- especially if we’re going to be dealing with Boba at some point this season.

Either way, I thought this was a really enjoyable premiere.  I did notice that it was longer than most of last season’s episodes- but in a “well hey, this is still going” way, and not because it was dragging.  Pretty much everything felt necessary, and it didn’t waste much actual show time with exposition.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, MissLucas said:

I understand Mando not letting the kid out of his sight. And the kid is adapting to Mando's -ahem- lifestyle, the moment he noticed the whistling birds activating, he knew what to do, he! (And of course having the kid around in all those dangerous scenes keeps the audience on edge because we all wait for him 'to do the hand thing'.)

I think we saw last season that the kid is pretty good at protecting himself. He stopped fire and force choked Cara when her and Mando were arm wrestling.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:03 PM, AnimeMania said:

Land Shark.

Why does a bar need a Spitoon. I think Lil' Oda just wanted his own set of Buskar Armor.

It is a world covered entirely in sand with regular sand storms. People would always have sand in their mouths.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I like how they kept making a big deal about Mandalorians being such amazing killers and how the village had no hope of getting rid of the dragon until Mando came along and struck a deal to get rid of it for them...and then when the big battle rolled around, he just stood back and let the village people do all the fighting and only stepped in when it became clear they were losing! 😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:
On 10/30/2020 at 11:03 PM, AnimeMania said:

Land Shark.

Why does a bar need a Spitoon. I think Lil' Oda just wanted his own set of Buskar Armor.

It is a world covered entirely in sand with regular sand storms. People would always have sand in their mouths.

Oh! so every residence has a spitoon!

"This on belonged to my Great Grandmammy!"

8 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I like how they kept making a big deal about Mandalorians being such amazing killers and how the village had no hope of getting rid of the dragon until Mando came along and struck a deal to get rid of it for them...and then when the big battle rolled around, he just stood back and let the village people do all the fighting and only stepped in when it became clear they were losing! 😄

They said they could have used a spaceship and blasted it. Mando could have got his and parked it on a rock near by and when the creature forgot it was there, shot it with a torpedo to back up the Village People.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

They said they could have used a spaceship and blasted it. Mando could have got his and parked it on a rock near by and when the creature forgot it was there, shot it with a torpedo to back up the Village People.

Unless they can shoot without the engines running it wouldn’t work. Also shooting at that close a range probably wouldn’t work. 

Fam - we're back!

It was good to be immersed in this world again. 

Absolutely over the opening sequence with Mando and the Baby wandering through the seedy streets on that planet (name escapes me)

The Marshal/Mando team-up was fun. Liked seeing the Tusken Raiders again. Kudos to the VFX team on their rendering of the krayt dragon. Off to watch this again! 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Dani said:
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Unless they can shoot without the engines running it wouldn’t work. Also shooting at that close a range probably wouldn’t work. 

You can take a few torpedoes off of the ship and detonate them with the mining explosives.

36 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

You can take a few torpedoes off of the ship and detonate them with the mining explosives.

Considering how close they had to be to lure the dragon out wouldn’t they have blown themselves up in the process? 

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

There are no physical torpedoes on the Razor Crest. Only laser cannons. 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

All speculation that I've read is that it was 

Spoiler

Boba Fett.

I put that in spoilers just in case, but I don't think it's really a spoiler.  I agree with it.

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Not just leaving him alone but having him out in plain sight in front of all kinds of scoundrels! I kept waiting for someone to try to run off with him.

Yes, exactly!  That was my thought too.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2020 at 8:33 PM, Penman61 said:

Thanks. I'm no Star Wars expert but I thought I remembered eleventy-billion Fetts as clones in one of the prequels, so...thanks for clarifying that at this point in the story we're flying on just one Jett. 🙂

I don't think it's a Fett. My best guess is it's an old clone (one of the 501st who has survived). Making it Boba Fett seems like it'd be too cute by half. 

1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I don't think it's a Fett. My best guess is it's an old clone (one of the 501st who has survived). Making it Boba Fett seems like it'd be too cute by half. 

Wasn't Boba Fett last seen falling into a sarlacc pit on Tatooine? We saw in this episode that Mandalorian armour can protect its wearer when swallowed by such creatures, and that the weaponry in the armour can be used to escape even from the belly of the beast. The jawas got that armour from someone. It would almost be too coincidental for it to be anyone else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Wasn't Boba Fett last seen falling into a sarlacc pit on Tatooine? We saw in this episode that Mandalorian armour can protect its wearer when swallowed by such creatures, and that the weaponry in the armour can be used to escape even from the belly of the beast. The jawas got that armour from someone. It would almost be too coincidental for it to be anyone else.

Probably going to end up being right. I think my desire to not have it be Boba Fett is akin to me NOT wanting the child in any way related to Yoda. I think this series will benefit from separation from the original trilogy entirely, there's no reason to make the galaxy such a small neighborhood. I kinda wished they'd avoided Tatooine entirely, to be honest. At least the second time. It feels too much like they're afraid to compromise familiarity for narrative purposes, when the best episodes of Clone Wars (until the last four) had no connection to any of the original trilogy characters. I want Mando to exist on its own, I think it's more interesting that way. 

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Probably going to end up being right. I think my desire to not have it be Boba Fett is akin to me NOT wanting the child in any way related to Yoda. I think this series will benefit from separation from the original trilogy entirely, there's no reason to make the galaxy such a small neighborhood. I kinda wished they'd avoided Tatooine entirely, to be honest. At least the second time. It feels too much like they're afraid to compromise familiarity for narrative purposes, when the best episodes of Clone Wars (until the last four) had no connection to any of the original trilogy characters. I want Mando to exist on its own, I think it's more interesting that way. 

You make some good points, but I think I've read interviews and articles that hint to the exact opposite.  Jon Favreau created this show, and was given the go ahead to make it, to bring some connections and continuity back to the Star Wars universe.  And also because of all of the complaints surrounding the prequel and sequel trilogies.  To die hard Star Wars fans, aren't all 6 of those movies basically awful?  I don't know, I'm not a die hard fan, but that seems to be what I read.  (I've seen them all, and some were ok and some were horrible; I can't say that I loved any of them.)

But I think Favreau is completing his mission - unite Star Wars worlds, and make people love Star Wars again.  One green space baby at a time. 🙂 

• Love 8
On 10/31/2020 at 9:20 PM, WatchrTina said:

There were a lot of gross-out elements to this episode (dragon puke, exploding dragon guts) but the one that got to me was the Baby hiding in that pot.  Because this episode was clearly a western.  Which makes that pot a spittoon.  Ew.

I thought that was a vase or some sort of water vessel.  I wasn't familiar with the word "spittoon" before reading your post so I looked it up.

Ew indeed.  The poor baby needed to be hosed down.

34 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I think I agree with this. I mean it is a big galaxy so there should be lots of other interesting stories to tell. I don't think I need Mando's story to be connected to a character I think is kind of lame or a cartoon I will never watch. If they do it too much you will find out by season 4 that Mando is Han Solo's second cousin or something.

• Love 3

Heh, Mando looking at that marshall in the bootlegged armor like "Is this m.f.-er for real?" From a distance, at first I thought it was Pierce Brosnan minus a decade or two via CGI. Timothy Olyphant was good casting. (And I'm now wondering if he was a competitor for the lead role but lost out Pedro Pascal. He has a similar swagger, IMO.)

So can anyone just put on a Mandalorian armor and make it work or is it mostly an attitude thing? Maybe if you've got the stones to pull it off, and a real Mandalorian doesn't catch you...

Aw, even gigantic space doggies love head scritches.

That krayt dragon was awfully agile to be so big.

Sorry Mando, cool move killing the monster from the inside but I already saw that in Sharknado #371. 🙄

If Favreau was going to reboot Tremors, he should have invited Kevin Bacon...

My immediate thought was Dune and started wondering if Sting could still fit in that leather speedo. 😉

• Love 5

I spent the whole episode wondering whether they were talking about the "Great" or "Crepe" dragon.  Enunciation is important!

I have seen the 9 movies, but I don't play video games or watch cartoons.  Clearly this is going to bring me lots of interesting new creatures.  Is the Krayt dragon related to the creature that Han flies the Millenium Falcon into in the Empire Strikes Back?

Every time Mando just leaves the Child someplace I engage in a little mental tsk tsking.  He clearly never practiced with a flour baby.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Every time Mando just leaves the Child someplace I engage in a little mental tsk tsking.  He clearly never practiced with a flour baby.

A flour baby doesn't have the ability to kill you with the magic hand thing.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

Filoni created a whole crew of unknowns in Rebels. Less successful than adding a few new characters directly linked to icons like Anakin, Kenobi & Yoda. Without the extensive Clone Wars story arcs about Mandalorians, this show likely would not even be streaming...

I don't think I need Mando's story to be connected to a character I think is kind of lame or a cartoon I will never watch.

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

15 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

A flour baby doesn't have the ability to kill you with the magic hand thing.

Two questions/comments related to this topic...

1. Has the Child proven to Mando that he can defend himself, and that's why Mando is giving him a little bit of freedom?  Or...

2. Does Mando not remember anything of his own early childhood and is just raising the Child in the Mando way, meaning that he isn't really a father figure but just his training coach?  It's obvious that he cares about him, but doesn't really love him in that parental way?

I think these are kind of rhetorical questions that no one can really answer, and maybe we'll see as the season goes on.

• Love 1
Just now, FnkyChkn34 said:

Has the Child proven to Mando that he can defend himself, and that's why Mando is giving him a little bit of freedom?  Or...

In season 1 he saved them all from the Storm Trooper's flame thrower, saved Mando from the space rhino, almost killed Cara with a force choke during some arm wrestling and was about to use the force on a bad guy at the end of that prison break episode. I would say he has shown he can defend himself.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, magdalene said:

I thought that was a vase or some sort of water vessel.  I wasn't familiar with the word "spittoon" before reading your post so I looked it up.

Ew indeed.  The poor baby needed to be hosed down.

I'm not completely convinced that it was a spittoon.  It looked like one, but they also live in the desert and have to source their water from somewhere - and therefore presumably carry it long distances.  In my mind, to help with the ick factor, I'm going to convince myself that it was just an empty water jug. 😉 

50 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

In season 1 he saved them all from the Storm Trooper's flame thrower, saved Mando from the space rhino, almost killed Cara with a force choke during some arm wrestling and was about to use the force on a bad guy at the end of that prison break episode. I would say he has shown he can defend himself.

Right.  But, he did all of those things to save Mando - not himself.  (The fire saved them all, but the other two were him protecting Mando.) 

So, does he know how to protect himself?  Or does he need to follow Mando's lead? 

(Again, rhetorical, I wasn't really looking for anyone to answer me, but I love discussing with people! 🙂 )

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

In my mind, to help with the ick factor😉 

[Interior: Weequay Cantina]

Cobb Vanth: Weequay, the town is running out of water...this here jug is your new toilet facility...

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Right.  But, he did all of those things to save Mando - not himself.  (The fire saved them all, but the other two were him protecting Mando.) 

So, does he know how to protect himself?  Or does he need to follow Mando's lead? 

(Again, rhetorical, I wasn't really looking for anyone to answer me, but I love discussing with people! 🙂 )

It's more that they haven't yet had the discussion about people in cars offering candy or puppies.  Or whatever the space equivalent of that is.  The Child could just playfully wander off with the wrong person and Mando would never see him again.  Hence my tsk tsking.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

You make some good points, but I think I've read interviews and articles that hint to the exact opposite.  Jon Favreau created this show, and was given the go ahead to make it, to bring some connections and continuity back to the Star Wars universe.  And also because of all of the complaints surrounding the prequel and sequel trilogies.  To die hard Star Wars fans, aren't all 6 of those movies basically awful?  I don't know, I'm not a die hard fan, but that seems to be what I read.  (I've seen them all, and some were ok and some were horrible; I can't say that I loved any of them.)

But I think Favreau is completing his mission - unite Star Wars worlds, and make people love Star Wars again.  One green space baby at a time. 🙂 

No, they weren't awful. I will never love the prequels, but there were some good ideas in there. Other big fans do love the prequels. And same with the sequels. They have their problems, but they're pretty good. However, there are some loudmouth idiots out there. "This isn't what I dreamed about all these years, therefore it sucks!"

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I spent the whole episode wondering whether they were talking about the "Great" or "Crepe" dragon.  Enunciation is important!

I have seen the 9 movies, but I don't play video games or watch cartoons.  Clearly this is going to bring me lots of interesting new creatures.  Is the Krayt dragon related to the creature that Han flies the Millenium Falcon into in the Empire Strikes Back?

Nope, different creature. The dragon is pretty large for a land-going creature, but not half the size of the exogorth.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I would not discount cartoons these days. Rebels is not bad.  I haven't watched Clone Wars, though it's on my list for eventually. As for non-SW, DuckTales is one of the funniest and most engaging shows on tv.  And ST: Lower Decks does some decent Star Trek in animated form.  (Whatever its issues, it's not because of the animation factor.) 

I see Mando's parenting style as very masculine.  Raising our kids, my husband was good at benign neglect, which probably balanced out my hovering. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I see Mando's parenting style as very masculine.

Logical. After his bio-parents disintegrated, who were his role models? A bunch of angry soldiers that never took off their helmets unless they were alone...

Edited by paigow

I forgot to add a few other thoughts.

This episode was such a Western.  The soundtrack and visuals were spectacular.  And the Marshall and Mando on the speeders made me laugh.  I've read too many academic papers on popular culture. 😉 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 11/1/2020 at 12:14 AM, Samwise979 said:

It looked like the Marshal only had the upper portions of Boba Fett's armor (helmet, jetpack, breastplate, gauntlets, pauldrons). Otherwise, it looked like he was just wearing jeans and cowboy boots (correct me if I'm wrong?)

Which might suggest that someone else has Boba Fett's boots. And, personally, if I'd- I don't know- just crawled out of a Sarlaac Pit and was stuck in the hot desert with no air conditioning and decided to toss away some of my hot armor, I might want to keep my boots so that I didn't step on any cactuses or womp rats. ☀️🏜️🥵🥾🐀💩

5 hours ago, paigow said:

[Interior: Weequay Cantina]

Cobb Vanth: Weequay, the town is running out of water...this here jug is your new toilet facility...

Speaking of which... did anyone else find it weird that the Marshal called the bartender- who he'd clearly known for a while- "Weequay"?

Unless I'm mistaken, Weequay is the name of the race, not an individual. Calling him by his race seems odd, to say the least. "Human, fetch me a drink!" "Wookiee, break that guy's arm!"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Weequay is the name of the race, not an individual. Calling him by his race seems odd, to say the least

Skipping class in high school would be easy..."Weequay?"...."Weequay?"

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Weequay is the name of the race, not an individual. Calling him by his race seems odd, to say the least. "Human, fetch me a drink!" "Wookiee, break that guy's arm!"

He did the same thing in S1 with Kuiil - he called him "Ugnaught" until Kuiil says "I have a name.  It is Kuiil".   It's kinda rude and also probably a way to distance himself from potential bounties.

Liked seeing more of the Tusken Raiders and their pets.  I imagine Din may have enlisted their help in a job or two, which is why he's fluent in their language. 

10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I mean it is a big galaxy so there should be lots of other interesting stories to tell. I don't think I need Mando's story to be connected to a character I think is kind of lame or a cartoon I will never watch. If they do it too much you will find out by season 4 that Mando is Han Solo's second cousin or something.

Heh, I feel the same.  The show has built up lots and lots of goodwill with me though so I'm willing to be patient.

I would have liked more Din/Baby interaction but other than that, a fun start to S2.  I doubt that the one-eyed gangster from the opening actually got eaten though.   "You won't die by my hand".  I do enjoy reminders that as much as Din wants to do right by the Child and is pretty good at making alliances, well, if you attempt to cross or double cross him, he's ruthless.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, raven said:

I do enjoy reminders that as much as Din wants to do right by the Child and is pretty good at making alliances, well, if you attempt to cross or double cross him, he's ruthless.

Mandalorian Killing School Guidelines:

• Kill only when necessary - people that owe you their lives can be useful in the future
  • Offer enemies a chance to surrender when circumstances permit - interrogation might be beneficial
  • Solo combat survival probabilities decrease quickly when facing more than 4 enemies concurrently - or one giant animal. Call a friend or two
  • Love 7