Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Boot Camp (2)

• Start Topic

So the bootleg Von Trapp Family and the tight-pant wearing, roller skating nitwit made it through -- how can they claim this is the best season with that bunch?

At least the little boy singer from last night made it through.

• Love 3

"Greatest season ever?"   Hardly.  Nobody is a standout or even worth remembering.  I am tired of broken people and their boring backstories.  I am REALLY tired of little kids who sob, "This is my dream; I wanted to do this my WHOLE LIFE."  Yeah?  Finish school and survive puberty before you shoot for stardom, you little brat.  If you have talent, you won't need this show to bring it out.  Apparently none of the contestants ever thinks to ask what has become of past winners.

• Love 8

Wow so many singers choked last night.  And why did the judges all have their stern bitch faces on when the acts were done?  Drama?

The comic who's routine was making fun of his kids did not make through.  In his TH he said he had to go home and tell his kids it was NO once again.  Try changing your material.

I am glad the two male singers went through. The wool cap wearing guy and the foster kid.  I have to admit the foster kid's story got to me a little bit. 

Thank goodness we are finally at the live shows next week.  This season feels as though it has been going on forever!

• Love 1

I know this singer girl is on the brink of suicide, was she good enough or they just felt sorry and didn't want her to hurt herself?  they should send her to get some serious help first, then she can sing later..

Juan Carlos (sp) made it through? what is wrong with these people? I think Howie is in love with him.

I agree instead of the fakeout put through visit from the judges they should have had a quick montage with the original audition and a Nick voice over saying these were the acts that automatically made it through.

• Love 2

On NBC's 

According to a list I just saw Smoothini is in the top 48. There must have been a few people that didn't get shown who automatically made it through.

For some reason it's the top 47 this year...anyone know WTF is up with that?  I would think that if they had a drop-out for some reason, they would have called up a substitute act and since this is all taped ahead of time there would be time to do this before making things official.  Unless of course it was a last-second thing and they're going to bring in a 48th as soon as they figure one out.  

Isn't the 48th act the one that the "Today" show audiences were choosing? I think I saw the three they were choosing from: three teens who do complex domino set-ups, a Bollywood dance-style acrobatics group, and a second, more sports-oriented acrobatics group.

Wendy Liebman? Seriously? Let's see. She's had her own specials on HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, plus appearances on Letterman, et al going back to the 90's. I thought this show was to give amateurs a shot at stardom or success, not a comeback vehicle for someone who's had numerous opportunities. This show never ceases to amaze me. Maybe Rita Rudner or Carol Leifer should audition next year.

• Love 3

Isn't the 48th act the one that the "Today" show audiences were choosing? I think I saw the three they were choosing from: three teens who do complex domino set-ups, a Bollywood dance-style acrobatics group, and a second, more sports-oriented acrobatics group.

Oh, that makes sense.  For some reason I thought it was going to be like the YouTube contestants of yore where there was a whole week of acts selected that got voted on for a certain number of Finale spots, not just one act.  

I was reading Christian Stoinev that made it to Vegas in Season 2 performing with his adorable little Scooby dog.  But then Scooby got bit by another dog and was unable to go to Vegas with Christian so he had to perform alone and didn't make it through.  Interesting that they mentioned the woman singer being a part of the show before but not Christian.  

Wendy Liebman? Seriously? Let's see. She's had her own specials on HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, plus appearances on Letterman, et al going back to the 90's. I thought this show was to give amateurs a shot at stardom or success, not a comeback vehicle for someone who's had numerous opportunities.

No kidding, that's what I was grubbing about the other night. And it's hardly a comeback, since she didn't go away. I mean, why not have Beyonce audition, or Bruno Mars, or the Rolling Stones, or David Copperfield, or the Blue Man Group, or... ?

There should be some sort of "amateur status" codicil involved, where the auditioner cannot have made X amount of money from their talent.

• Love 1

When, where, and how did that awful children's choir get through?  I don't remember seeing anything about them on Tuesday or last night.  What an inexcusable mess this selection process has been.

Isn't it strange that there weren't any of those light-show type acts this year where they have lights all over their costumes, and have the studio lights off when they perform?  We've seen umpty variations of those acts these last few years, and this year zip.  It's a bit odd.

So glad to see the two best kid singers go through in the final selection.  I was worried that after putting that undeserving girl straight through, they might only select one more kid to go.  Don't know why I got so involved with this particular drama, since, as I overstated before, I don't even like kid singers.

Was surprised they put the roller-blader through.  What happened to grilling performers about what else they can bring to their act if they get another shot?.  Maybe for his next appearance he'll carry a pinwheel as he skates.  Three cheers for the selective amnesia of Howard, Howie, Mel B, and Heidi.  Hey, Howard, don't ever forget you're looking for a million-dollar act here.

• Love 2

Yawn and snore. I guess this is where I exit the show because, with the possible exception of one or two performers, none of the finalists interest me enough to tune in again. Well, it was fun while the auditions lasted.

I thought this show was to give amateurs a shot at stardom or success,

Not at all.  Where did you hear that?  The producers actually mine YouTube and other sources for professionals.  The fabulous Japanese guy who won last year (whose name I can never remember) was no amateur --  this guy has performed all over the world and is a star in other countries.  I suppose many people think it's their chance at stardom.  Others are invited and get put right through. 

But they're all boring this year except for Smoothini, so I can go back to Big Brother for the first hour.

(edited)

What a craptacular season. The judges keep trying to convince us that this is the best season yet and how hard it is to make decisions but I think this is one of the least talented groups that I've seen on this show.

I can't believe that Baila Conmigo went through and I really wish they would put the younger girls into age appropriate costumes. The neckline down the belly button and the completely open sides are way too much. I know they have nude colored fabric in the gap but it's still not something they should be wearing at that age. I also find their dancing to look way too chaotic without very many identifiable dance steps and with so many of them on the stage it just kind of looks like a mess. Jasmine Flowers is significantly better than they are and they manage to have appropriate costumes. Glad they went through - I was a little worried when they called Baila Conmigo out and put them through right away.

The piano playing precocious brat is just not very good. I've heard better piano playing in Nordstrom's or at an elementary school talent show. He has to keep telling the judges and us how smart he is and that's probably the only reason he went through. Unfortunately he's one of those acts that I think America is going to eat up so he may stay around a while.

I'm kind of irritated that the young opera singer didn't go through. She's not extraordinarily  good yet, but she is considerably better than Mara Justine. To send her home in favor of a girl who can't do anything other than shout into a  mic is ridiculous. The opera singer has a lot more control and a much better range than Mara Justine does and she actually sings instead of shouting.

The Willis Family will probably go far, unfortunately. They are not that strong vocally and they use the little kids to pander to the judges and try to get those "cuteness factor" points to put them through.

I just hope America gets it more right than wrong when the voting starts, but at best I think the voters are typically only half right.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2
What a craptacular season.

That pretty much sums it up for me.  I haven't even paid nearly as much attention this season as I have in the past.  It seems the only thing that stands out for me this season is the acts I don't like.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I was really enjoying the auditions, and then they went and messed with the schedule to the point where the show went off the boil, and now this. Juan Carlos goes through? Are you kidding me? The Willis Family? The children's choir? Seriously? These are million dollar acts? Look, you can only get by with the so-called cuteness factor so far. I am really, really, really over any act that tries to use that as their hook. And Juan Carlos was a joke performer to begin with.

I'm not completely cold-hearted though. The foster kid's story gets to me every single time. Even though it has a happy ending, that just hurts to think about. I doubt he will get much farther, but I'm happy for him.

Last night made me wonder if there are any acts I actually am pulling for. I can't, off the top of my head, think of anyone who stands out the way Kenichi stood out last season. Of course, we didn't really see all the acts that got put straight through, and since it's been seemingly months since the auditions, I may have forgotten a few. Sure hope so, because I don't want to end up hate-watching a competition show.

Not to jinx them, but I'm rooting for the magicians and comedians.

Edited by peggy06
(edited)

The Willis Family performance provided more proof to my theory that the real Howard Stern has been kidnapped and they're trying to pass off an imposter. The Real Howard would never gush that The Willis Family is "the cutest act ever" because of those little kids. He'd blast the blatant manipulation and call anyone who fell for it an idiot.

Between The Willis Family, the Children's Choirs, the little kids in Baila Conmigo, the child pianist, and Mara Justine this season is drowning in cuteness. And I can't recall any act that's smart and sophisticated like Kenichi to offset some of the goo.

Like others, I'm in disbelief at some of the acts they put through. Obviously Juan Carlos, but also that strongman who ran into a block of ice. I don't think that inflicting injury on yourself is a talent. Mara Justine gives me the creeps, and if you've ever heard a true child piano prodigy you know that their little genius isn't one. The tap dancing teenage boys are also nothing special. They're frequently out of step with each other and the music.

Another annoying thing about this season is that in the auditions the judges put though all these acts who so obviously just had one joke or one shtick, and then they complained about that exact thing during the boot camps shows. Did they really think that the pig had some brilliant trick up his snout?

Of all the singers the only two who interest me are Emily West and Jonah Smith, both seasoned performers with the ability to actually arrange and interpret songs instead of doing karaoke. On You Tube there are several videos of Emily West from her Nashville country days, complete with country singer hair and cowboy boots. In the videos she sounds like every other country singer, but I think the material she's doing now shows a lot of personality. So it seems that she reinvented her appearance to go along with a reinvention of herself as a singer.

The sadist in me enjoyed hearing Joe Matarese whine about having to go home and tell his wife and kids he didn't make it. His sense of entitlement was really annoying, like every other reality show contestant who thinks they're special because they're trying to "win it for my kids." (Or father, grandmother etc). Next time try to be funny.  He should consider himself lucky that he has a wife who apparently earns a good living so that at 47 he can continue to be a stay-at-home dad and failed comedian.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Was surprised they put the roller-blader through.  What happened to grilling performers about what else they can bring to their act if they get another shot?.  Maybe for his next appearance he'll carry a pinwheel as he skates.  Three cheers for the selective amnesia of Howard, Howie, Mel B, and Heidi.  Hey, Howard, don't ever forget you're looking for a million-dollar act here.

Actually Howard hated Juan Carlos. He hit the buzzer on him the first time through, and he berated the other judges about liking him the second time through. With supposedly so many good acts I would think they would need all four judges to like an act in order for them to advance, but apparently that is not the case. 

Here's how I see it: Juan Carlos is a character, and a mildy amusing one at that. If his skating was great, I could see the argument for putting him through, at least as fodder for the more talented acts. But his skating isn't good, it's just average...not even bad enough to be a "so bad it's good" act.

• Love 1

This show may not be for newbies or amateurs, but it should focus on acts who, while they may have been around for a while, have never got the recognition they deserve. Wendy Liebman has had many, many comedy specials on premium cable over the years. She's been recognized. (I also think her comedy epitomizes hacky, shticky "Men...you can't live with them, you can't kill them" crap that I have no patience for or interest in.

• Love 4

Rambler:  Just to clarify, I know that Howard didn't want the skater, but he got outvoted the first time.  What surprised me was that Howard didn't prevail when it came to actually putting the guy through to the finals.  We've seen him bully the other three into submission before.  I can't imagine they would have fought that hard to save that guy.  For me, the skater going through just puts the lie to all the rhetoric the judges constantly spout.

I can't believe that Baila Conmigo went through and I really wish they would put the younger girls into age appropriate costumes. The neckline down the belly button and the completely open sides are way too much. I

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by those costumes.  from the side shots, it looked like some of the girls were wearing the equivalent of a clear plastic thong under the white costumes.  Bad enough on adults, but the skimpy/sexy costumes on little girls  are just wrong.

I am underwhelmed by the show this season.  It seems like any act with kids is being put through just because "awwww, cute kids." I think this show would be wise to skip the solo singers.   There are other shows for singers.

I hear that Christian and his dog Scooby have been a fixture on Il State U campus, performing outside all the time.  It's an OK act, but not all that spectacular.  That's my take on a lot of these acts, though - cute, but not great.   

• Love 1

Well, a lot of the acts I liked made it through: Jasmine Flowers, Mat Franco, Julia Goodwin, Emily West (Look at me, enjoying singers). But I think every year is probably a little bit of a give and take. Cuz we also got Mara Justine, Juan Carlos (Why? Just...why? Explain it to me like I'm five, please), Kelli Glover...and whoooo snuck the One Voice Children's Choir in there? Can I be pissed on behalf of Mel B?

I see they gave Miguel Dakota a sob story he did not have during his first audition. In the words of the great Kate McKinnon: "Your parents' divorce no longer counts as a tragedy. It is ubiquitous."

It was bothering me so much where I'd seen that little girl from the hip hop duo before, but I figured it out (A lot of people are going to think that dance/costume is inappropriate for her age, but she's really talented. As she gets older and learns more control and discipline she'll be fantastic.)

Next week looks like it's going to be a lot of good acts. As everyone's been saying, no one is a total standout, but it should still be a pretty good show.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention how much those two tap-dancing doofuses making it to the live rounds pissed me off. I personally know at least ten people who could out-tap them without breaking a sweat. And I've got 14 years worth of dance recital video footage to prove it.

After looking at those pictures I now think Anna looks like Casey Anthony and I can't unsee it. I'll show myself out.

(edited)

Farce that gay roller skater got through.  

I am not happy that Frank (old Sinatra guy) didn't get through.  To me, all the males are cookie-cutter.  If Landau can win the whole thing doing a similar act, they didn't have room among 47 for Frank?  

The did a good job on the comedians, and I think, the magicians (not sure).

If they had cut Jasmine Flowers after giving the latin group a pass, I would have lost it.  As it is, the latin troupe did the equivalent of a juggler dropping an object.  Ridiculous they went through.

They never did use the footage from the disaster at the Knicks game where Nick tried to get the crowd to respond.  I am pleased.  Then again, it would have been super entertaining to me watching them cobble together something usable, knowing how horrific the whole thing was.

The first live show looks incredibly blah to me.  It's infested with cardboard singers.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
(edited)

We had to tape both parts of AGT this week and finally got to watch over the weekend.  Let me join the chorus of "Juan Carlos got through?"  Seriously?  Good grief, he is horrible.  He's not funny, he's not cute, he can barely skate, he's a big ole bunch of nothing but annoyance.  Cannot believe they wasted a spot on him.  I was also surprised they put through Baila Conmigo.  As someone else mentioned, their dancing seems very "frantic" without a whole lot of recognizable steps.  I was also surprised they put through the two male salsa dancers.  One of the judges asked if they were a male/female couple, would they be good enough to go though.  Clearly the judges thought so, but I didn't.  They were good but not great, and I thought their second dance looked very much like the first.  Another wasted spot.  And the "I pick things up and put them down" guy?  Good grief.  I didn't think awkward comic guy was that good the second time around either.  And the kid who threw cards was so good they put him straight through?  Ugh.  And kind of on and on.

Does anyone know if the guy with Desmond made it through?  I'll have to go look on-line to see who made it, but I think the judges blew it big time this year.

Edited by LadyMustang65
  • Love 1

Farce that gay roller skater got through.  

I am not happy that Frank (old Sinatra guy) didn't get through.  To me, all the males are cookie-cutter.  If Landau can win the whole thing doing a similar act, they didn't have room among 47 for Frank?  

The did a good job on the comedians, and I think, the magicians (not sure).

If they had cut Jasmine Flowers after giving the latin group a pass, I would have lost it.  As it is, the latin troupe did the equivalent of a juggler dropping an object.  Ridiculous they went through.

They never did use the footage from the disaster at the Knicks game where Nick tried to get the crowd to respond.  I am pleased.  Then again, it would have been super entertaining to me watching them cobble together something usable, knowing how horrific the whole thing was.

The first live show looks incredibly blah to me.  It's infested with cardboard singers.  

Lonesome Rhodes, I guess I didn't hear about the Knicks game. What happened?

• Love 1

There are several I can and will root for.  I love both of the guys who do the card tricks, and Smoothini was pretty amazing.  And the guy with his "imaginary friend" is really interesting.  Basically all the magicians, I guess, and I'm not usually a big fan of those things, but the guys all seem likeable and have good stage presence.  A couple of the dance/acrobatic groups and a couple of the singers seem pretty good.  But overall I don't think it's a very strong group, and about the best thing I can say is that at least they didn't put that idiotic dojo group through.  They were just as bad as Juan Carlos. 

The two close-up card trick guys and imaginary friend guy are great acts because they all rely on true showmanship plus actual trickery. There are no fancy lights or costumes, no flourishy moves or music, no scantily-clad assistants or blingy props - just the magic. It succeeds as it is or not. So far, so good.

• Love 4

The two close-up card trick guys and imaginary friend guy are great acts because they all rely on true showmanship plus actual trickery. There are no fancy lights or costumes, no flourishy moves or music, no scantily-clad assistants or blingy props - just the magic. It succeeds as it is or not. So far, so good.

Exactly, that's why I like their acts so much.  They're very slick without all the smoke and mirrors that some of the big bang boom magicians have.  You know that of course it's a trick somehow but it's done well enough to make this Muggle believe in magic.  

• Love 4
(edited)

A Boston Gal -  At a Knicks game around the time auditions were being held, Nick went to MSG and tried to get the crowd to rally and cheer on behalf of AGT (My guess is they were going to use the footage for a show's open) during a break in the game.  The crowd went nuts all right - they booed him mercilessly.  It was LOUD and vicious.  Howard and Howie were there, but did not address the crowd.

It was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwasDzgqGM

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2