Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E02: First Elimination

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

As far as Johnny is concerned, I also feel like the judges are being a little overcritical, and I can't help wondering if Britt's level of experience with ballroom is entering into things. Watching her so far I'm getting the same vibes I did with Allison -- there's just something different in terms of technique and ease about those who learn as adults after years in other disciplines versus those who start as kids/teens, even with cross-training (a la the Utah dancers), and who are then tasked with teaching and choreographing for novices.

Maybe they don't like him because he's gay. They've never been very LGBT friendly. Britt's choreography isn't great, but she's new, so I'll give her a pass for a couple of weeks. He is still way better than the people they gave 7s. 

I still don't get the 5s for Skai. She did miss her lift, but she wasn't as bad as a couple of the others.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LBS said:

I thought that Kaitlyn’s injury was much ado about nothing and cynically thought it was fake  to add drama.  

Yep, it was fake!  Seems they are starting early this season with "injuries". 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Yep, it was fake!  Seems they are starting early this season with "injuries". 

It certainly wasn't fake, her Instagram stories will tell you that. The only reason she could dance is because they shot her up with cortisone and let her perform without wearing heels. She's getting an MRI today and will have to withdraw if its bad news. Sounds to me like another Ray Lewis situation last season, just with the ankle rather than the toe.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

It certainly wasn't fake, her Instagram stories will tell you that. The only reason she could dance is because they shot her up with cortisone and let her perform without wearing heels. She's getting an MRI today and will have to withdraw if its bad news. Sounds to me like another Ray Lewis situation last season, just with the ankle rather than the toe.

That's too bad. She's one of the best dancers.

I don't care about Tyra one way or the other, but I like that most of the dancers are good and they are doing ballroom. I'm liking the lack of filler and contemporary/jazz. I've wanted that for a long time so I'm good.

• Love 4

Johnny is dancing like he's wearing ice skates.  Much like his skating, he is all about his "look."  Have you noticed how detailed and tailored his costumes are compared to the rest of the men?  I get the impression he's having a blast designing his costumes but perhaps not putting in the dancing work.  Several of their moves tonight were moves that he does in skating but don't translate to the ballroom.  Brit was literally spinning him around on the floor which doesn't quite work.  I don't know if it's Britt's coaching or Johnny wanting to bring his skating to the floor.  Carrie Ann was right when she said it looks like he hasn't found the floor yet and it's because he's still on the ice.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So much damn Tyra-talk and had to cut the 3rd judge short every time.

I had to laugh this morning - an office I was in had a radio playing and these two DJs were bitching about Tyra and how she kept cutting off judges because she said they were running out of time, but then she miraculously had all sorts of time to talk about whatever she wanted to talk about. They were really mad! They wanted to hear from the judges. They did not like her as a host at all.

I can't say I'm surprised, though. I expected her to make the show focus more on her and her opinions, and just hearing they were going to focus on her annoying smize stuff solidified that for me. I don't think I'll be able to keep watching. I really do miss Tom. He had such a quick wit and was able to keep low profile and let the dancing (and the judges' antics) be the focus. (And make marvelously snarky comments when warranted, LOL.)

• Love 9
5 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Maybe they don't like him because he's gay. They've never been very LGBT friendly. Britt's choreography isn't great, but she's new, so I'll give her a pass for a couple of weeks. He is still way better than the people they gave 7s. 

I still don't get the 5s for Skai. She did miss her lift, but she wasn't as bad as a couple of the others.

Bruno is openly gay and the dance world is filled with gay men. I think they are hard on him because they are used to skaters doing well and he is not nailing it yet. He also has a “persona” that makes him hard to relate to for some people. 

My biggest complaint is that I can’t hear Tyra speaking because of the piped in fake applause. 

• Love 6

Thank goodness for dvr's and the fast forward button. I barely hear what Tyra says and that makes the show tolerable. Bruno continues to be way over the top, ff through him a lot too. Enjoying Derek. How can CAI see the dancers through her forest of bangs? I miss Tom, he was the heart of this show.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Arkay said:

I have never cared for Tyra, she's always had the tendency to make the focus about herself, but at least on her model show she had some credentials. THIS show is not about modeling nor about YOU, Tyra. She instantly tilted the conversation with Nev away from dancing and to the inclusion of "catfish" in the dictionary, just so she could whine about her ridiculous "smize." 

Also, it's a dance floor, not a catwalk. Stop with the attention-getting gowns and leave some room for the judging. Charles Oakley is a dignified athlete who deserved his moment at the end. He would have had it if Tyra hadn't blathered on so much about things that mattered to her and not the contestants. Even her speech about "haters" sounded like she was propping herself up and not whomever she was talking to, was it Chriselle?

I love Derek but am not pleased that he kept Carol. I've never seen Tiger King but I've heard enough to be judgmental about her. 

I believe that all of these problems are due to production decisions. Do you really think that Taylor sewed those outfits?  The questions which were often so confusing for the performers were not just pulled out of Tyra mind.  The questions aren't spontaneous and they're poorly planned. I'm sure all the judges knew if Carol was at the bottom she was to be saved for controversy which could lead to higher ratings.One of the problems of rushing the judges was the number of contestants. I am imagine the director in Tyra's ear.  

• Love 3

I thought that I would give the show another try as last week was not as bad as I expected.  But, what was the first segment I saw?  Tyra and her "smizing."  With, of course, her critiques for the celebrities about their smizing.  So, I just changed the channel.  I can't take this if it's all about Tyra all the time.  I watched most of the seasons of America's Next Top Model and think that Tyra is beautiful and talented in many ways.  BUT, when I watch this show I want it to be about dancing, NOT smizing...

• Love 5
4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Johnny is dancing like he's wearing ice skates.  Much like his skating, he is all about his "look."  Have you noticed how detailed and tailored his costumes are compared to the rest of the men?  I get the impression he's having a blast designing his costumes but perhaps not putting in the dancing work.  Several of their moves tonight were moves that he does in skating but don't translate to the ballroom.  Brit was literally spinning him around on the floor which doesn't quite work.  I don't know if it's Britt's coaching or Johnny wanting to bring his skating to the floor.  Carrie Ann was right when she said it looks like he hasn't found the floor yet and it's because he's still on the ice.

I'm confused about Johnny this season. I thought he'd be a big draw - yet they buried him in what? 3rd or 4th position in the dance roster. That's usually a bad sign (the best go last or close to it). Best DRAW, I mean, not best dancer.

Also, I was watching Britt's Instagram stories, and in one, she was sitting in the dance studio saying, "Where are you Johnny?" Maybe it was a one off but not such a good look to be advertizing that he's late for rehearsal. And why did they give him an untested newbie who apparently wasn't brought up in ballroom dancing? If they expected a lot from him, I'd think they'd put him with Cheryl or even Jenna (she did win with another figure skater)... It's all so confusing.

Maybe they think he's just too "out there" for their audience demographic - but that's hard to believe with Bruno and the success Carson Kressley had on the show etc.

• Love 4

Oh, Nev... the most embarrassing thing to happen to you was not your being catfished -- it was getting on camera in that sleeveless t-shirt with your chest hair poking out on all sides.

Do we think that Nev will get a waxing?

Edited by Just Carol
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I gave in to curiosity and gave the second show a try.  Never ever again.  Besides my dislike of Tyra whoever came up with her dialog needs to go.  I hated it when the judges went on and on but these shortened feedbacks give the contests no real feedback.  Despite all that the worst was that I was BORED!

• Love 3

Opening number:

Nev's cha cha:

Skai's samba:

Johnny's tango:

Justina's foxtrot:

Monica's jive:

AJ's foxtrot:

Anne's foxtrot:

Nelly's cha cha:

Chrishell's rumba:

Charles' cha cha:

Jesse's foxtrot:

Jeannie's cha cha:

Carole's Viennese waltz:

Vernon's paso doble:

Kaitlyn's foxtrot:

Elimination:

• Love 4
On 9/22/2020 at 10:28 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

I kinda love the judges deciding between the bottom 2. Too bad they didn’t come up with that when Sean Spicer or Bobby Bones were there! 

Except for when they eliminated a superior Dancer to give the Production choice an easier path to a win

• Love 5

I'm guessing that Carol Baskins was going to be eliminated since they conveniently had a judge's save on week one. Even with all their shameless pimping, she still ended up on the bottom two. It's not that Charles was great, but he had no chance against her mega free publicity machine.

Once she's out, it should start getting good. I thought the first half of the show was a lot more interesting. Is it just me or are they putting all the not very interesting people in the second half?

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2

The smize segment didn't bug me as much as I thought it would.  I think because it wasn't supposed to be taken as serious advice from Tyra.  It was supposed to be funny instead.  There are lots of times over the years where DWTS does dumb/funny segments that I didn't care for so this was the same.

I do agree with others that Tyra's questions created awkward moments.  I didn't need to hear why AJ loved his wife especially if it means that Derek was left to just say "Good job" as one of the critiques for a dancer.  That's not very helpful advice.

My favorite so far is Justina.  She's a decent dancer and I think she will get better.  I also love her personality and it would be nice for Sasha to win.  Kaitlyn is a good dancer and I'll always root for Artem but her personality is not as appealing as Justina.  Nev is the best dancer from the guys but he's partnered with Jenna and his personality is eh.

I thought Johnny would be better.  His frame is nice but I'm not sure how much Britt is teaching him.  She learned ballroom late and I'm not sure she has any teaching experience.  Derek had to tell him that his arm was too low because it was practically down to her waist.  It did look like he was trying to skate.  I also don't thin that Britt and Johnny work well as a team.  They don't flow well together and I saw a lot of tugging in different directions.

Instead of a lift, Val could have put more kicks and flicks in Monica's dance.  Jeannie and Brandon have a nice partnership.  Anne is a good actress so she plays characters well like last week.  This week, I thought she looked a little too stiff.  Chrishell has horrible feet.  I don't think she's the one that Derek said is pigeon toed.  But she is even when just standing.  When she dances, she doesn't point her feet at all and they just look awkward even when she's on the floor.

The show had the right bottom two.  Next week, Carole should be the one going home next but who knows if the show will do that.  At least, this time the audience is voting correctly.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I'm guessing that Carol Baskins was going to be eliminated since they conveniently had a judge's save on week one.

They have a judges' save every week now. They started doing it last year after Bobby Bones won the year before. It's supposed to make it so that they can eliminate people who have a lot of voters but aren't good dancers. The thing is, that person has to be in the bottom two for them to be able to do that. I'm not really sure how well it works.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2020 at 12:00 PM, boyznkatz said:

I think you’re confusing this show with So You Think You Can Dance.  For years Nigel Lythgoe could barely disguise his disdain for gay contestants but he improved his attitude in more recent years. 

On 9/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, iMonrey said:

Also, I am firmly of the opinion that only Shih Tzus should wear topknots.

This is my favorite comment of the thread so far... Dog Show GIF by Westminster Kennel Club

The judges can barely say three words but we have time to hear about why AJ loves his wife?

Shiny-satiny dark suits are not a good look. They emphasize every fold and wrinkle in the fabric and it's very distracting as they move. (Terry Crews was wearing a shiny dark blue suit on AGT last night and it was not at all flattering.) AJ would have looked much better without the shiny fabric.

So we can have the lift police on week one but tonight we don't care? Okay, Carrie Ann.

I love Pasha. He has the best smile. I wish he had gotten a better partner. (I thought Skai should have been with Pasha or Sasha since they're both on the shorter side.)

The cat thing is getting old already. Why do I want to "get to know" Carole Baskin? "What did it feel like watching yourself cry"? What the hell kind of question is that?

Tyra's second dress looks like it's cutting her boobs in half. Who dresses her and what did she do to piss them off so?

Is it just me or was there a lot of pink happening tonight?

• Love 3

I expected a lot more from Nev's cha cha based on last week's performance. His footwork was a bit sloppy.

Skai's samba was okay. She obviously had the choreography memorized so there's no problem with that, but her execution isn't great. Her movement quality is very immature. She needs to make her movements stronger and more deliberate, and she needs to make sure that she finished her moves.

Part of me is secretly glad that Johnny isn't killing it and causing the usual "IT'S NOT FAIR BECAUSE HE'S A RINGER!" complaints. He had a few moments where he really hit a great pose or line, but overall he needs to tighten up and refine his movements. He is a great example as to why I have no issue with athletes or other coordinated people competing on the show. Just because you're coordinated at one thing doesn't mean you're going to be a great ballroom dancer. I hope he's able to relax and enjoy himself more in future performances because we know he's capable of being dramatic and selling a routine.

Justina's foxtrot was lovely if a little clunky at moments. She is the kind of celebrity I love to see on this show: coordinated enough not to be a lost cause, teachable/open to corrections, and clearly loving every second of the experience.

Monica's jive was way too much sitting, posing, walking around, and generally wasting time for the first 20 seconds. Get to the dancing, Val. Monica is in the middle of the pack for me - she's able to learn the choreography competently but her performance lacks polish. She looks like she's thinking too hard.

AJ's foxtrot had way too much non-foxtrot content. Obviously that's not on him, but it must be noted. I also hated his head to toe shiny suit. His dancing was the same as last week - fine but not outstanding.

Anne's foxtrot was pretty decent. Her footwork seemed very confident (often we see hesitant or stuttering footwork in the early weeks so this was nice to see).

Nelly's cha cha was more of the same from last week. He's a great performer from the shoulder up but his shuffling footwork is abysmal.

Chrishell's rumba seemed to be lacking in content. I know you can do a lot of poses and slow moves, but it seemed like a deliberate effort to keep her from having to dance too much. She has really lazy feet. Gleb needs to tell her to make a deliberate choice with her feet at all time so that they aren't just hanging there like dead weight.

Charles' cha cha was terrible. He got the stereotypical DWTS "grandpa can't dance so we're just going to have him stand here while the pro dances around him" choreography. There was a full 15 seconds near the end where his feet were planted on the floor and didn't move an inch because Emma was just dancing around him the entire time. And hey, get out of the shot, cameraman!

Jesse's foxtrot wasn't bad. He definitely has potential but he really needs to work on his arm placement and his posture. I can't tell if he needs to tuck his hips under or if he just has a lot of junk in the trunk. On a shallow note, no one could look good in that awful costume. Blech.

Jeannie's cha cha was okay but I was expecting more. Her footwork was a little messy and stompy at times. There was too much non-cha cha choreography too. She looked like she was having fun though.

Carole's Viennese waltz was better than I thought it would be. Pasha gave her choreography that she was capable of doing and there was definitely waltz content instead of a ton of filler. If she lasts past next week, he needs to give her very specific choreography for her arms because when she is given a pose, her arms look fine but in the moments when she doesn't have anything to do with her arms, they just kind of hang there. She and Charles were definitely the worst last week, but I thought her waltz was miles better than his cha cha this week.

Kaitlyn's foxtrot was pretty good. She looked smooth and elegant for the most part. I'm happy that Artem has a partner who isn't in the obvious bottom too. I still have a soft spot for him from S1 of SYTYCD.

ETA: someone mentioned that Kaitlyn admitted to her previous dance experience but I totally missed that. What did she say her dance experience was?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Derek is so much better than his shrill phony sister. I really enjoy him in this role. 

Tyra is being Tyra. Erin was awesome but nervous on Day 1 and I recall people were still hating her. Tyra will get better but this is still going to be tough for her because she is so used to shows being all about her and being the boss.

Oh I like Jenna now that she has job security. She used to reek of desperation but now is more herself and is enjoyable. 

Jeannie Mai acts like she spends 95 percent of her day practicing her facial expression poses for the camera. She has admitted as much in the past for rehearsals for The Real. It's a bit exhausting. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ETA: someone mentioned that Kaitlyn admitted to her previous dance experience but I totally missed that. What did she say her dance experience was?

I wasn't totally paying attention but she talked about always being told "no" when she was dancing, and that it's been 11 years since danced seriously. I didn't catch what kind of dance she did.

• Love 2

ElectricBoogaloo, Kaitlyn is a trained ballet dancer.  I think she said she began dancing ballet as a young child, and stopped in her early 20's after being rejected for parts she continually auditioned for.   Her mother was a professional ballet dancer.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't totally paying attention but she talked about always being told "no" when she was dancing, and that it's been 11 years since danced seriously. I didn't catch what kind of dance she did.

18 minutes ago, laredhead said:

ElectricBoogaloo, Kaitlyn is a trained ballet dancer.  I think she said she began dancing ballet as a young child, and stopped in her early 20's after being rejected for parts she continually auditioned for.   Her mother was a professional ballet dancer.  

Thanks! I definitely missed that!

• Love 2

I'm really trying this season, but man, they're making it difficult.  Tyra is just not good, and WTH was she wearing?!

I have liked the addition of Derek-when he was given time to speak, he actually gave good constructive criticism/advice. 

Already tired of the cat theme for Carole. 

Don't really care too much about any of the contestants this year, so don't have anyone I'm particularly rooting for <shrug>

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The judges can barely say three words but we have time to hear about why AJ loves his wife?

I'm so glad he does, since he was engaged two if not three times before her.  So, lets skip that Tyra. (I get very uncomfortable when she asks questions)

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Tyra's second dress looks like it's cutting her boobs in half. Who dresses her and what did she do to piss them off so?

The costumes designers this year are horrible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2020 at 7:28 AM, kitcloudkicker said:

It’s a good thing Alan wears so much hair gel

Thank for that, I had to rewind 3 times to laugh at that hair grab. Hilarious. Good for him for not even flinching, I think I would've thrown someone to the floor if they pulled my hair that way! 

I'm still adjusting to the Covid version of DWTS, it's a little depressing. I find little ways to amuse myself, like watching the judges catch themselves using a descriptor that doesn't fit anymore, like "you really had the crowd...um, I mean us, going"

Seems like a lot of people, but I guess this is the usual amount for the beginning of the show? Lots of dead wood to cut, but I hope it comes down to Nev (surprising to me that he's so good) and Johnny and Jordana (is that her name?) and maybe Kaitlyn?

I felt terrible for the NBA player, why do they continue to cast men that are so tall that they can't properly connect to a partner (hard to connect to someone when you're staring at their belly button)? and the height just makes the dancing itself awkward. He seemed like he really wanted to do well, but the deck was stacked against him.

• Love 1

Kitcloudkicker, thanks for posting that little video. 😄 I had to rewind it several times when it happened live and was wondering what it felt like to have somebody hanging onto your hair so they don't fall on a dance maneuver. 

Please, AJ, stop jumping and landing on your knees.  He's had a couple of surgeries and so far has had not-great consequences over the past two episodes. Also, I don't understand the shaved head. I swore he had hair for a while and even during the earlier package. 

I really like Justina. I've watched her on One Day at a Time Redux and really liked her character on the show. Her enthusiasm is contagious. 

I was just thinking how ugly Nelly's shoes were while I was watching, and then I found out they were specially made ugly shoes. Hope he kept the receipt. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I felt terrible for the NBA player, why do they continue to cast men that are so tall that they can't properly connect to a partner (hard to connect to someone when you're staring at their belly button)? and the height just makes the dancing itself awkward. He seemed like he really wanted to do well, but the deck was stacked against him.

If the show wants to get NBA players, they would be better off asking guards who are more in the 6'1 - 6'3" range (e.g. Derek Fisher who danced with Sharna) and would be easier for the female pros to partner. The only really tall NBA player to do well on DWTS is Rick Fox, who danced with Cheryl in Season 11.

• Love 6

I am just really happy that they managed to have DWTS back! I also love that they are forced to cut down on a lot of "extras" this season.

I still don't understand why Tom had to go, but Tyra doesn't bother me that much, especially since I don't pay much attention to what goes on in the intro and before the dancing starts. 

At first, I was annoyed that the judges were being rushed just to have Tyra spend time asking the couples questions. However, if you think about it, it's not much different than when Tom used to hurry the couples along to go to the skybox to get their scores and talk to Erin, and Tyra is basically doing both roles now. Plus, since DWTS is admittedly more a popularity contest than a dancing competition, by talking to the couples more, they could be just giving the couples more opportunity to have the audience connect with them. While I still would rather have slightly longer dances and hear more dancing feedback, I get what they are trying to do.

Overall, I am liking the female celebrities more than the males, with Kaitlyn and Justina at the top for me. I also have a soft spot for Anne Heche...she is one of only three celebrities that I was familiar with coming into the season...I like her attitude towards learning the dances and her respect for Keo. I feel like Jeannie's dancing is a little wild right now, but she could also be really good.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

They had a pro once, I think her name was Anna Demidova, and she was about 5 ft 11. Wish they'd kept her for the basketball players - they have a lot of them on the show.

Well I don't really watch DWTS, but I do follow skating, so I watched Weir's routines, and I'm not really shocked. The guy tended to have a flair for expression, and his choreographers gave him a few good skating programs, but he never showed good musicality or dance-ability.

I must say that Jenna Johnson is a fantastic ballroom dancer.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, Morrigan said:

I feel like I'm not on the same page with others here with the Metcalfe guy (what does he do again?) and also Nelly. Their dancing is horrible, to my eyes. Clunky, nerdy, hunchy, dorky, I could go on....

I also don't think Johnny is very good, and I really thought he would be. I'm watching this season because I was a big fan of his skating. OH, and his butt looks so big. (ditto Tyra ditto

metcalf  was on the prime time show desparate housewives....lately he is  in the new mystry movie series on the hallmark mysteries channel  the marthas vineyard ones..It is good and He is good in it  

Cheryl....)

Whose idea was it for Tyra to ask follow up questions to the celebs? And half the time, they don't understand her or are taken aback. It's so stupid when the judges are shooshed and rushed so bad. Tyra contributes to the fakeness of the show whereas Tom made it seem more natural and honest.

My faves of the men - Nev and AJ. Of the women, Justina, Chrishell, and the one who was a professional dancer (the injured one with Artem) - but duh... would be pretty sad if all that dance career prep was for nothing. At least she fessed up for people who didn't already know, and I didn't.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, ams1001 said:

after being turned down 111 times  because she was not good enough she gave up her dancing dream....I think she did a lot of ballet

• Love 1
On 9/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, calipiano81 said:

I am just really happy that they managed to have DWTS back! I also love that they are forced to cut down on a lot of "extras" this season.

At first, I was annoyed that the judges were being rushed just to have Tyra spend time asking the couples questions. However, if you think about it, it's not much different than when Tom used to hurry the couples along to go to the skybox to get their scores and talk to Erin, and Tyra is basically doing both roles now. Plus, since DWTS is admittedly more a popularity contest than a dancing competition, by talking to the couples more, they could be just giving the couples more opportunity to have the audience connect with them.

I agree it gives the audience a chance to know them. I really don’t care about the judges. I’m not a dancer so their feedback doesn’t really mean much to me. Some contestants are more or less annoying the more you know them. But I am glad they are showing less fluff and more dancing.