Type keyword(s) to search

Dune (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

I'd be interested in hearing what fans of the book think? I remember as a kid the mini series on TV coming out...I never saw the movie from I think the 80's or 90's but i hear it is horrid....

maybe if they push this movie back i can read it before it comes out LOL

I do think books like this are meant to be adapted today, with the advancement in special effects/CGI

I think it looks good too...but trailers can be deceiving....and i heard Blade Runner 2049 was a bust (i guess?)

But I will go see it....i miss blockbusters and I don't want to pay PVOD prices!

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, snickers said:

I'd be interested in hearing what fans of the book think? I remember as a kid the mini series on TV coming out...I never saw the movie from I think the 80's or 90's but i hear it is horrid....

maybe if they push this movie back i can read it before it comes out LOL

I do think books like this are meant to be adapted today, with the advancement in special effects/CGI

I think it looks good too...but trailers can be deceiving....and i heard Blade Runner 2049 was a bust (i guess?)

But I will go see it....i miss blockbusters and I don't want to pay PVOD prices!

It isn't a huge book. Wordcount is about 181.5 thousand words, a little over Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and less than even the smallest Ice & Fire book. There's also an audiobook on YT. Plenty of time between now and December if you get cracking!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, snickers said:

Blade Runner 2049 was well received by critics and earned about 250 million worldwide at the box office but it was expensive to make.  In other words, it sounds like a good movie was made that people were interested in seeing but not interested enough to justify what was spent in making it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, snickers said:

I never saw the movie from I think the 80's or 90's but i hear it is horrid....

I don’t think many people (director David Lynch included) would contend that Dune ‘84 is a “good” film, but it is interesting to watch in its own way.  It definitely is a product of its time- from the synth-rock soundtrack to the visual style, it very much feels like 80’s cinema.  The overall story suffers from the studio’s efforts to cram the whole book into a matinee runtime- but there are plenty of memorable moments, and from reading the IMDb page it seems like Frank Herbert was kind of okay with it.  It’s also fun to see a bunch of 80’s era actors in arguably their weirdest roles.  If you have seen and enjoy other 80’s sci-fi (Flash Gordon, for example) it’s at least worth a viewing.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Blade Runner 2049 was well received by critics and earned about 250 million worldwide at the box office but it was expensive to make.  In other words, it sounds like a good movie was made that people were interested in seeing but not interested enough to justify what was spent in making it.

Yep. Blade Runner 1 was a commercial failure, but it turned into a cult favourite. Same thing with 2049. It's a very good movie outside the ending, IMO. Arrival is very good too. Villeneuve is a good SF director. Hated Sicario, though.

• Love 1

I liked the trailer, seems close enough to the book. I'm still concerned about Aquabro Idaho but, he might surprise me.

Lynch's Dune was my introduction to Dune so it will always hold a special place in my heart. The Syfy miniseries was actually really good. I wasn't as thrilled with the sequel miniseries but, I think combining the 2 books hurt it.

I'm excited for it, I wish it wasn't coming out in December because I don't I can go with COVID and I really want to see this one the big screen.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I liked the trailer, seems close enough to the book. I'm still concerned about Aquabro Idaho but, he might surprise me.

Lynch's Dune was my introduction to Dune so it will always hold a special place in my heart. The Syfy miniseries was actually really good. I wasn't as thrilled with the sequel miniseries but, I think combining the 2 books hurt it.

I'm excited for it, I wish it wasn't coming out in December because I don't I can go with COVID and I really want to see this one the big screen.

I will love the second miniseries for introducing to me to James McAvoy and I absolutely adore the soundtrack to the miniseries. As good as this looks, I have a feeling that the music won't sound as good to me. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I will love the second miniseries for introducing to me to James McAvoy and I absolutely adore the soundtrack to the miniseries. As good as this looks, I have a feeling that the music won't sound as good to me. 

Yeah, that was my introduction to McAvoy as well and, I have a heard time seeing anyone else as Leto II. I would have liked to see God Emperor of Dune (never read the book) but, I understand it's hard to film.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
On 9/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, Anduin said:

It isn't a huge book. Wordcount is about 181.5 thousand words, a little over Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and less than even the smallest Ice & Fire book. There's also an audiobook on YT. Plenty of time between now and December if you get cracking!

Ok you have convinced me to purchase and download it as my next book! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Dune delayed until October 1, 2021.

You can expect an announcement on WW84 as well. The 2020 movie season is officially cancelled. Don't expect any event movies until a vaccine is widely available.

Damn. The one movie I was looking forward to this year. Oz is doing pretty well, but I can see that the studio wouldn't want us to have an exclusive.

Wow oct 2021! Why even release the trailer...no wonder regal decided to shudder their doors 😐 

looks like I got time to read this book now 😂

Edited by snickers
  • Love 2

My introduction to Dune was actually Dune 2, the RTS computer game that was the precursor to Command &  Conquer (and to all RTS games, I suppose). It was a great game, but hardly an in-depth exploration of the world and characters.

I've seen the 1984 movie and  I've read some of the books, but wasn't ever blown away. Probably a case of the writing not ageing well when compared to more modern fantasy and science fiction. But I am really interested in this movie. Villeneuve is a great director, and the cast looks excellent.

I'm fine with it being delayed though, because I want to see this on the big screen. Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best looking movies I've seen in a long time, and I expect Dune to be the same.

• Love 1

I've never read the Dune books but I remember the miniseries on TV and I liked the actor who played Paul in that one.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I find Timothee Chalamet very overrated.  I know people rave about him, but I just don't get it.  Some critics and fans act like he's the second coming, and I don't see anything particularly great about him.  He's serviceable, for sure, but nothing special.  Shallow and stupid reasons I know, but I think I'm put off by the hair and the kreativ spelling of his name with the double E's.

• Love 4

Yeah, after seeing the trailer I'm so happy that they didn't shove this out as an HBO/Amazon/whatever release. Denis Villeneuve movies simply have to be watched on the big screen, they're so beautifully shot, with such grand scale and ambition.

From what I remember from the first book, it seems like they're beefing up the role that Zendaya is playing, which makes sense - if you have Zendaya in your movie, you're really wise to use her as much as you can. There are a lot of big names in there, but I'm not hugely familiar with Chalamet, and he seems very flat in the snippets we've seen. I hope he has the presence to hold this thing together.

• Love 3
On 7/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Danny Franks said:

From what I remember from the first book, it seems like they're beefing up the role that Zendaya is playing, which makes sense - if you have Zendaya in your movie, you're really wise to use her as much as you can. There are a lot of big names in there, but I'm not hugely familiar with Chalamet, and he seems very flat in the snippets we've seen. I hope he has the presence to hold this thing together.

It seems like Chani, not Irulan, will be the narrator which I makes more sense both from a thematic perspective (the indigenous people get to tell their own story, not one of the colonialists) and from a characterization perspective - Irulan doesn't become significant until the next book. 

• Love 5
On 9/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, snickers said:

I never saw the movie from I think the 80's or 90's but i hear it is horrid....

I loved it. You should watch it. The movie is something else. I don't think you can beat the Navigators. 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:00 AM, Chyromaniac said:

It’s also fun to see a bunch of 80’s era actors in arguably their weirdest roles.

Also Sting. 

I did like the SciFi miniseries in part because it aired every night so it was kind of a throwback to 'event tv' like when Shogun was on in the 80s. The miniseries nailed the 'handtalking', and I hope we see some of that in the movie. 

I'm not really a purist from the book who is going to complain about the adaptations. There's plenty of takes you can pull out of the book for a movie. I do think it's really just too dense for a single movie, simply due to the world building, so I don't mind this was split up. You have all the prequels, which are considered canon, that weren't around for the miniseries to draw on for that. 

I am interested where they will end the first part. 

The only thing is I heard they aren't filming 1 and 2 at the same time and that 2 isn't even green lit yet. 

• Love 6

Current Release Date: October 22, 2021

From Fandango's 2021 Fall Movie Preview...

DUNE (OCT 22)
Sure to look spectacular on the big screen, Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Javier Bardem and Oscar Isaac star in a new adaptation by director Denis Villeneuve ('Arrival,' 'Blade Runner 2049') revolving around a noble family's efforts to protect the most valuable asset in the galaxy.

15_Dune_Gallery.jpg

'Dune': Release Date, Cast, Sequel Details & Everything We Know About Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Epic So Far
BY KACIE COOPER STOTLER    UPDATED 4 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/dune-2021-release-date-trailer-cast-plot-sequel/ 

After many changed dates, the release for Dune has again been pushed back — now, to October 22, 2021. In a controversial move, Warner Brothers agreed to release Dune on their streaming service HBO Max on the same day the film will hit theaters. As of right now (and despite reports to the contrary), that plan still stands. Dune will be released in theaters and on HBO Max on October 22nd.

Shortly after the HBO Max release was announced, Villeneuve came out critically against the decision. He was quoted as saying:

“There is absolutely no love for cinema, nor for the audience here. It is all about the survival of a telecom mammoth…Streaming can produce great content, but not movies of Dune’s scope and scale.”

Villeneuve was not alone in this sentiment, with actors, creatives, and other directors also critical of the company’s decision.

But while Dune will be released to the public in October, it will screen for critics before then. The film will have its world premiere on September 3rd at the Venice Film Festival, and will also screen at the Toronto International Film Festival the following week.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Well, I respectfully disagree, and I'll be watching on HBO Max. If they want me to go to the movies, don't price a ticket for a single movie exceeding two of my streaming subscriptions. 

That ticket price is what's necessary to finance movies made at this scale.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Do they? Tickets for T2 weren't this much. Or is it that you have to clear $100 on opening weekend or it's a failure? 

How do Netflix and Hulu produce movies without ticket sales? 

Average movie ticket price in 1991 was $4.21 USD, which inflation-adjusted is $8.44 USD today.  Average ticket price in 2021 is $9.16, so ticket price has risen very slightly ahead of the rate of inflation, but we're talking less than a dollar.

Streaming services operate on a subscription model which makes mega-budget projects generally uneconomical, or affordable only in very small numbers, unless you're just blowing money on prestige (both Netflix and Apple, for instance, have given ludicrous sums of money to Martin Scorsese for recent films because they want to burnish their reputations/place in the cultural conversation).

Warner Brothers' HBO Max strategy is basically using the films as loss-leaders for the streaming service in the midst of the pandemic, to (thus far) very mixed effect on subscribers.

• Love 2

As someone who has enjoyed watching the MCU movies, this petty comment by Dune director Denis Vileneuve makes me less inclined to see his new movie...

Denis Villeneuve Criticizes Marvel Movies: 'Turned Us Into Zombies'
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   September 16, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-denis-villeneuve-movies-zombies 

Dune director Denis Villeneuve sat down with El Mundo to give his honest take on Marvel movies.
When the interviewer cited Martin Scorsese's comments about the idea that superhero films are not cinema, Villeneuve agreed to the former's sentiment, saying that "these types of movies have turned [the audience] into zombies a bit" due to its "cut and paste" formula:

"Perhaps the problem is that we are in front of too many Marvel movies that are nothing more than a "cut and paste" of others. Perhaps these types of movies have turned us into zombies a bit ... But big and expensive movies of great value there are many today. I don't feel capable of being pessimistic at all."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, tv echo said:

As someone who has enjoyed watching the MCU movies, this petty comment by Dune director Denis Vileneuve makes me less inclined to see his new movie...

Denis Villeneuve Criticizes Marvel Movies: 'Turned Us Into Zombies'
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   September 16, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-denis-villeneuve-movies-zombies 

I hate that attitude. You don't have to tear down someone else to promote your own work. I'm looking forward both to Dune and to Eternals. If there had been another Villeneuve movie out the same time as Shang-Chi, I'd have gone to see that too.

At the same time, it's called a formula. Do people ever get stuck into James Bond for feeling too formulaic? How about Fast & Furious? They both feature too many car chases and gunfights.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

While I don't really think that Vileneuve is incorrect in what he said, he needs people to come out and see Dune. And there is a lot of overlap in the geek community of people who watch Marvel movies and are fans of Herbert's books and are very interested in this Dune movie.

So...if you want to make the sequels, Denis, how about you don't piss those people off.

• Love 3

It's out in the cinema in my country and I loved it. Visually it's breathtaking and the actors do a great job. It reminds me a bit of LOTR in the sense of it being a product made with love and devotion. I can't wait for the second part.

• Love 12

I've read the books and seen all versions. I was able to see this one, albeit with weird subtitles, so I didn't catch everything.

I had been unsure of Momoa. Sure he's hot and dripping with charm, but I wasn't sure if he could pull it off. I think he did. Josh Brolin was fantastic as Gurney and I adore Oscar Isaac. He brought his A game. But I was really impressed with Rebecca Ferguson. I don't think I'd seen her in anything but Wallander  before this. Jessica is a complicated role, and she handles it very, very well. Stellan is great. Bautista was made for the role of the Beast Rabban.

For those who want to know where it breaks...

Spoiler

The big "ending" scene comes pretty much after Paul kills Jamis. There is no Alia, Feyd Rautha, none of that. 

Which is absolutely why the sequel needs to start filming today.

Changing Liet Keynes into a Black female really worked for me. Sharon Duncan-Brewster brought a real presence to the role. The Lynch version has a serious weird level, but I loved Linda Hunt as Shadout Mapes. I wish there had been a way to bring her back for the role.

It was visually breathtaking. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
Capitalization.
  • Love 9

God created Arrakis to train the faithful.

So it has an 89 percent score (fresh rating) on Rotten Tomatoes as of today and reports from ordinary people who have seen it are positive.

Should be opening here in the US in the coming week.  They have done a good job building hype and expectations, more than any film since COVID started, I think.  Even more than the Bond movie.

I usually do not go to IMAX screenings, but I may make an exception for Dune.

• Love 4

Glad to see this getting good reviews.  I'll probably wait for the sequel to come out but I hope it does well so we can eventually get to the adventure of Duncan Idaho.  

Slightly off topic but I like to imagine that Herbert got the idea of walking without rhythm from trying to leave his son's room after he fell asleep.  I know a lot of times the only way I can get out is by doing something similar.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'll probably be in the minority here. I've never read the books, and I think you need to, to appreciate this movie perhaps? I don't know. I thought it was overlong, anticlimactic and often dull. I watched it on HBOMax and the worst part for me was that everyone spoke so very softly. So much so that I had to crank my receiver to the max to hear the dialogue, and then turn it down when the dramatic music would kick in.  I don't think it's because I streamed it either. I have a good surround sound system and don't have to crank it to the max for other things. I think I would have had the same issue had I seen it in a theater, which I wouldn't have, because my interest was only mildly peeked by the trailer and all the big names in the movie.

The boy messiah story line who can speak "the word" to save the desert people isn't very interesting. The constant cuts to him having visions was distracting.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll probably be in the minority here. I've never read the books, and I think you need to, to appreciate this movie perhaps?

I never read the books and I liked the movie quite a bit.  I probably am more aware of the overall arc of the Dune universe (Dune and Dune: Messiah which apparently are the two books for Paul's story) than many non-book readers but, as I read reviews elsewhere, it's clear that there's so much I didn't know.  So I don't know that the books would have made you appreciate it more. I do think seeing it in a theater might have.  I suspect this is an amazing immersive experience on a big screen or IMAX.  (I watched on HBO Max as well and that's the feeling I was left with.  I liked it on HBO Max but part of me now wants to see it in a theater.)

That said, I felt like the movie did a good job of introducing the different factions under the empire without going overboard in exposition.  I liked the characters even if the only relationship that truly had depth was Paul and his mother but, based on the ending, I imagine that's the relationship that will important in the next movie as well.  

The movie made me go from uninterested in the proposed Dune: Sisterhood series about the Bene Gesserit on HBO Max to quite intrigued by it. 

I did get a little bored at the end during "the action" which makes me a bit of a weird, I think.  I was glad I watched it at home on HBO Max because 2 and a half hours is a long run time for this bladder.  But, like I said, I also have a feeling it would feel more epic in a theater and I get why Villeneuve really wants people to see it there. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll probably be in the minority here. I've never read the books, and I think you need to, to appreciate this movie perhaps? I don't know. I thought it was overlong, anticlimactic and often dull. I watched it on HBOMax and the worst part for me was that everyone spoke so very softly. So much so that I had to crank my receiver to the max to hear the dialogue, and then turn it down when the dramatic music would kick in.  I don't think it's because I streamed it either. I have a good surround sound system and don't have to crank it to the max for other things. I think I would have had the same issue had I seen it in a theater, which I wouldn't have, because my interest was only mildly peeked by the trailer and all the big names in the movie.

The boy messiah story line who can speak "the word" to save the desert people isn't very interesting. The constant cuts to him having visions was distracting.

Interesting. I know my hearing is going, but we had to really crank up the volume and eventually put the subtitles on to watch this on HBO, too.

I think one of the issues with the messiah storyline is that while it was innovative at the time the book came out, it’s been done multiple times since then.

I read the first two books many many years ago and only remember bits and pieces. Still, we really enjoyed this (absent the sound problems). I would definitely recommend seeing this in a theater.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Dune left me with the impression of a snow sand globe: 
  It was mesmerizing, dreamlike, beautiful
But also: somewhat isolated, slightly artificial, out of touch.

We also saw it on HBOMax - - wanted to see it at the theater, but there was a scheduling issue.
Maybe that was why it wasn't as immersive and awe inspiring as it could have been on a big screen.
We also had to crank up the volume to make out all the whispered dialogue.

Vileneuve does fantastic visuals.  His films look like works of art.. Also, Rebecca Ferguson, Batista, and Timothee stood out by having very expressive facial acting ability. 
But the pacing and action sequences don't seem to be a strong suit for the director. 
And the sense of timing - - it felt as if  House Atreides had been on Arrakis for only a couple of days before be siege. 

But that abrupt, anti-climactic ending .. it's difficult to fathom that a group of professionals agreed that was the best idea. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The boy messiah story line who can speak "the word" to save the desert people isn't very interesting.

To be fair, when the book came out, it was kind of the first take on the trope. I'm not surprised with Dune that having to read the book would help with the movie though. 

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I think one of the issues with the messiah storyline is that while it was innovative at the time the book came out, it’s been done multiple times since then.

Ah, beat me to it. 

15 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

And the sense of timing - - it felt as if  House Atreides had been on Arrakis for only a couple of days before be siege. 

I haven't watched yet, but knowing the books that seems about right. Once the Atreides land on Dune, they're not even really unpacked what you know what happens to the Duke and all hell breaks loose. 

• Love 2

We saw it in the theater first. I made my husband wait to watch it on HBOMAX until after the theater. I am so glad we saw it on the big screen first. I loved it and am so glad they stayed so true to the book. There is easily enough material for two more movies. 

Timothee Chalamet is perfect. I really cannot complain about any of the casting.

I really hope Denis Villeneuve gets the chance to finish the story.

• Love 8

So glad to find that this Dune movie stayed so true to the book.  I never read the book ,but did see the Dune (1984)  movie  a couple of times and felt it was quite entertaining and well done for it's time.  This is one of those movies that excels  in IMAX  along with the high resolution audio.  Watching it streamed would be a let down.  Should be a huge seller in the 4K blu ray  market. 

Edited by One4Sorrow2TooBad
  • Love 2

I do have to add thank god he did justice to Duncan Idaho! His character was woefully underserved in the last Dune movie. Jason Momoa really captured the character. I greatly appreciated the way the story was cut. I feel like the characters are being fully fleshed out. Its a bold strategy and very impressive that he took the risk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I just watched this on HBO Max and didn't read the books (or see the 80's? movie). I thought it was pretty good but was lacking character or "heart" moments. Seriously, why was everything so depressing. A good story has those moments where the characters are hangout which is what makes you care about them. Also leads to back stories being told in a natural way.

Also I was surprised how many characters they killed off. Like what was with Jason Memoa's character basically committing suicide. He should have waited to decide their options and pick the best one. If fighting the best one then pick that. Seriously, Ronan would have not made that mistake ;). 

I wasn't really a fan of the flash forwards as they were distracting from the present. But I guess it's part of the story. 

Overall, it was a beatiful film and I'm sure will win awards for that, as was the score. I do hope it gets a sequel as this movie doesn't hold up without one. And hopefully the second one has more character moments. But I suppose if that wasn't in the book then they can't add it...

• Love 4

I really liked this version. I loved the book, saw the original in the theater and enjoyed it. I’ve not hated any of the versions. I thought Timothy Chalamet made a particularly good Paul. He nails that boy-man thing and the not ready for command restlessness. It’s just part 1 so will need to see how they wrap it up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7