Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I said Howard the Duck as a joke answer, only knowing that awful Lea Thompson movie, not that there actually is a Marvel character by that name (I know almost nothing about comic books).

I just got it from the "Howard" category and the word "fowl" in the clue. 

• Love 1

I always feel sorry for the contestants who end up in the hole and can't participate in FJ.  Pat(?) never seemed to gain his footing with the buzzer, and then gave wrong answers on most of the ones he answered. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I always feel sorry for the contestants who end up in the hole and can't participate in FJ.  Pat(?) never seemed to gain his footing with the buzzer, and then gave wrong answers on most of the ones he answered. 

It was Pete. I felt especially sorry because he seemed like a nice guy in his interview, and he and his wife have a pub trivia group, so I bet they were all watching. 😥
But likely it was the buzzer issue that he hadn't prepared for. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

yeah, I have always wished they would let that player stay and answer the question just to see if he/she knew it

• Love 2

Matt is not the most annoying player I've seen on Jeopardy! but he is on the list.  His use of 'what is' for everything is annoying and last night I noticed that he was very slow, as though his thoughts were disorganized.

I didn't get any ts's.

Instaget FJ.  Like so many of you posted, I haven't seen the movie but I know the scene. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Where do we watch the game while the Olympics are held? 

To try to watch Jeopardy episodes pre-empted by the Olympics, weather alerts, etc. :

1. Got to youtube.com
  2. At the top of the page, enter into the search box the terms #jeopardy and a last name of a contestant
  3. In the search results, look for one that is 20 minutes plus some number of seconds in length

For example:

image.thumb.png.1283337c4282278514fe661d0fe6853d.png

• Useful 2
On 7/21/2021 at 6:34 AM, illdoc said:

I got the TS of Shelley, "Death Be Not Proud" (seriously, I can't say anything other than that when I hear "John Donne"), auger, and Brad Parrot. 

I got Shelley - but that's because I always say Shelley, and this time, for once, I was right. (I hated my Poetry class - mostly because of the a***ole who taught it.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:08 PM, Roaster said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category was African Monarchs, I said "Haile Selassie".

Me too. Then again, he's the only African Monarch who came to mind (though Idi Amin and Shaka Zulu might have with a different clue). So again, thanks to basic limited knowledge/ignorance, I got something right! :)

On 7/21/2021 at 8:40 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

So far this week my responses to FJ were Hawaii and some island in Alaska and the place where Roosevelt, Stalin and Churchill met. I guess to get credit I would have to meet the technicality of actually knowing the names of the places.

I only focused on "historic meeting" and 20th Century. I came up with Yalta fairly easily, but then I've read so much about WWII because my Mom lived through it and was bombed out a few times. So it was a topic of personal interest.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:05 PM, Katy M said:

I had brain problems tonight.  I could NOT think of anything. 

I've had a number of nights like that. I feel your pain.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:24 PM, HissyFit said:

I agree. When Robin was growing up here in coastal Mississippi, we could get home delivery of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. It was our region's morning daily. She also played high school basketball against a small town about 40 miles up the road named, yep, Picayune. I was surprised (and nearly grown) when I learned that the origin of the word was not southern, but French.

We got the Times-Picayune delivered to our APO (military address), because Dad was from Mississippi. I always knew what the word meant, but for once, the definition and the title of the newspaper connected and made me laugh.

• Love 4
On 7/21/2021 at 8:05 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't mind the new champ except for his penchant to use "What" for all his responses, even for people, i.e., "What is Bryan?"

Ugh driving me crazy, and he says "What's" instead of "What is"

• Love 4
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was Pete. I felt especially sorry because he seemed like a nice guy in his interview, and he and his wife have a pub trivia group, so I bet they were all watching. 😥
But likely it was the buzzer issue that he hadn't prepared for. 

A friend of mine was on and didn't make it to FJ (it was terrible reading the comments here), and she said that it was probably because of buzzer timing.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Where do we watch the game while the Olympics are held? 

You might also try googling your network and alternate channel. ABC out of NYC shows Jeopardy on some high-number channel (110 or something like that) sometimes. Seems to be only when it's a pre-planned preemption (I think it was during the debates last fall that I found it), not for weather or other breaking news. But it's on ABC here so it's not getting preempted, anyway (and the nighttime Olympic coverage seems to start at 8, next week, at least).

8 hours ago, Trey said:

Matt is not the most annoying player I've seen on Jeopardy! but he is on the list.  His use of 'what is' for everything is annoying 

Worse, it's what's, not even both words.

6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I haven't watched Thursday's game, but there is no way Matt is more annoying than Arthur Chu.  Matt JACKSON was really effing annoying too.

I'm one of the few who actually liked Arthur Chu, I think.

• Love 5

Gah, my only TS was Zoroastrianism (and there were a bunch in the first round, too). 

FJ was an insta-instaget...and they all got it wrong?! At least Rachel had the right book, I guess.

Robin's excitement over the amount they donated (164K!) to her charity made me smile.

8 hours ago, Trey said:

last night I noticed that he was very slow, as though his thoughts were disorganized.

I hadn't notice it too much before but after I read your comment I really noticed it tonight. The other guy was pretty slow, too.

• Love 3

Two thoughts after tonight's Jeopardy:

Could FJ have BEEN any easier? (Said in Chandler Bing' voice.)  Well, apparently it could've been since all 3 contestants got it wrong, which I am absolutely gobsmacked by.

&

If someone doesn't beat Matt soon, I may end up killing myself.  He's not the most annoying contestant ever, but he's so damned depressing to watch.  And by that I mean he comes across as clinically depressed.  He's clearly very smart, fast on the buzzer and willing to bet big but he looks and sounds bored.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Gah, my only TS was Zoroastrianism

I got that one because of Freddie Mercury.  Thank you, Freddie.  Not just for that.

13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Robin's excitement over the amount they donated (164K!) to her charity made me smile.

That was pretty endearing.

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget.  I can't believe all 3 of them missed it.

I got the missed clues of Department of Education, El Salvador (total guess), hogwash and zoroastrianism.

I got the entire cagegory f cop shows right and the partical categories of military and voices.

1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

I am taking it as a personal affront that all 3 missed FJ. 

Of course you do.  You have your pride.

• LOL 12
58 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Worse, it's what's, not even both words.

27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Two thoughts after tonight's Jeopardy:

&

If someone doesn't beat Matt soon, I may end up killing myself.  He's not the most annoying contestant ever, but he's so damned depressing to watch.  And by that I mean he comes across as clinically depressed.  He's clearly very smart, fast on the buzzer and willing to bet big but he looks and sounds bored.

Hey, tonight we got a “who” for FJ!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ErinV said:

That would be a good thing if it lead to clearing the board.  4 out of 5 days this week there were categories left on the board.  Aargh.

• Love 7
(edited)

Best FJ! week ever for me - 4/5, husband was 4/5, and between us 5/5. I missed Monday (could only come up with Hawai'i) and husband missed Tuesday.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Aww, but we all got FJ, @M. Darcy!

I also got the TS of braking, and actually ran both DOING THE SAFETY DANCE and (more or less) COP SHOWS BY CHARACTERS (I was a bit slow on this one).

24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hey, tonight we got a “who” for FJ!

--which supports my theory that he only uses "What's" for all of the responses as a strategy to win, which I can appreciate even if his grammar makes me twitch. 

23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That would be a good thing if it lead to clearing the board.  4 out of 5 days this week there were categories left on the board.  Aargh.

Matt pausing to check his answers may slow it down a bit, but that too is a valid winning strategy. 

I also think if Robin had been doing the show for a few months, she would pace her responses to make up for Matt's method.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I've come to the conclusion Robin's excitement over a contestant giving the correct response is in inverse proportion to her actually knowing it, i.e., Fe = iron. I bet she didn't know that.

Nevertheless, she was a decent host. I liked her better than Aaron Rodgers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

LeVar Burton is up next... he better live up to all the hype!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Matt pausing to check his answers may slow it down a bit, but that too is a valid winning strategy. 

To me, anything that results in clues left on the board is not valid.  Because I want to see all the clues, damn it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've come to the conclusion Robin's excitement over a contestant giving the correct response is in inverse proportion to her actually knowing it, i.e., Fe = iron. I bet she didn't know that.

I thought she sounded extra excited when someone other than Matt gave the correct answer.

I was surprised FJ was a TS, and I'm not even a Jane Austen buff. Rachel had the correct book, at least. No idea who "Prudence" was supposed to be.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was surprised FJ was a TS, and I'm not even a Jane Austen buff. Rachel had the correct book, at least. No idea who "Prudence" was supposed to be.

I often can only recall part of the word that is the answer —starting with the first letter— even though I can recall the person’s face or the item’s function or the place on a map in my mind’s eye.  
So this may be just me projecting, but I thought Rachel John was thinking of Austen and could only come up with [Pride and] Prejudice and Prudence was a name that resembled that word.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

All the first round TS surprised me to some degree.  Especially braking.  The Education/Energy Dept. one surprised me since Matt guessing wrong gave the other two extra time to think, and they only had to pick one (and there aren't a ton to choose from).  With the El Salvador TS, for some reason I just knew someone was going to guess Nicaragua. 

And FJ being a TS really surprised me.

I missed one in literary geography (I'm hit and miss with Shakespeare, and this was a miss), but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I managed to only miss one in Military Emblems of Belief, which should be a horrible category for me given me lack of interest in both religion and the military.  Of course, they didn't get to the $2000 clue and odds are I'd have missed it, but since they didn't - I got all but one.

It was part of a trend - I also missed one each in Animals in Art, Lost Voices, and Historical Non-fiction.  I ran the other two, and FJ was almost an instaget (the novel I knew immediately, but I had to think for several seconds to remember which character goes with it), so I had a great game.

Robin's excitement over the total charity donation was lovely.  Her excitement always entertains me; she did an interview with Dolly Parton where you could just tell she was thrilled to be in the presence of one of our nation's greatest treasures.

• Love 7
(edited)

Anybody else expect "John Munch" to show up as a character on ALL the cop shows?  I was kind of disappointed they didn't go there.

Could have done SVU, Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Law & Order (the Mothership), and even The X-Files (does that count?)

And FJ was pretty much an instaget, and I've never actually read Pride & Prejudice.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

And FJ was pretty much an instaget, and I've never actually read Pride & Prejudice.

I've watched Colin Firth a few too many times as Mr. Darcy. Fans self.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Anybody else expect "John Munch" to show up as a character on ALL the cop shows?  I was kind of disappointed they didn't go there.

Could have done SVU, Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Law & Order (the Mothership), and even The X-Files (does that count?)

Hell, yeah, the X-Files counts. I loved that episode with Mulder's giant cell phone. LOL

• Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I often can only recall part of the word that is the answer —starting with the first letter— even though I can recall the person’s face or the item’s function or the place on a map in my mind’s eye.  
So this may be just me projecting, but I thought Rachel was thinking of Austen and could only come up with [Pride and] Prejudice and Prudence was a name that resembled that word.

Good theory, but it was John who said Prudence. Rachel said Mr. Bennet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

😉

19 hours ago, ErinV said:

In our house, we're enjoying it. It's a perfectly good contraction (or should I say it is) and fits the rules.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If I'd thought of you, I might have answered correctly. But I (sorry everyone) positively loathe Jane Austin, so I have a real mental block when it comes to her books. Don't even watch anything based on her work.  I know I'm an exception, and my reasons are personal. And they certainly don't carry over to you, M. Darcy.😉

Ignore the stray emoji at the beginning of this post. I can't get rid of it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
(edited)

I watch Jeopardy on my NBC station, which means it won't be available for two weeks during the Olympics.  Is there some other channel where I can watch it?  I'm in Northern California.

Oops!  I just found yesterday's episode on YouTube, so I guess I'll be watching there the day after each episode.

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I watch Jeopardy on my NBC station, which means it won't be available for two weeks during the Olympics.  Is there some other channel where I can watch it?  I'm in Northern California.

Oops!  I just found yesterday's episode on YouTube, so I guess I'll be watching there the day after each episode.

I'm in Southern California. Sometimes the episode will be on at 11 p.m. after sports. It's why I'm always behind with comments. 

• Love 3

Robin really seemed to want the contestants to say "true daily double."  If anyone went all-in but didn't utter the magic words, she made sure to do it for them.  She certainly seemed like a genuine fan of the show to me.

I will tell on myself.  I didn't have a clue for FJ.  With so many things to read and learn, that genre of literature just has never appealed to me.  I'm sure I will one day get to these novels, but until then, I'm afraid I'm clueless.

I'm looking forward to LeVar with some trepidation.  I like him and wish him well but I think he's put himself in an impossible position with all the self-ballyhoo.  Even if he does pretty well, I'm sure we'll hear from everyone he didn't please even more vociferously than usual (not in this pleasant corner of the Internet, of course).

• Love 8
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I will tell on myself.  I didn't have a clue for FJ.  With so many things to read and learn, that genre of literature just has never appealed to me.  I'm sure I will one day get to these novels, but until then, I'm afraid I'm clueless.

I'm amused by this because the movie Clueless is based on Austen's Emma.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Robin really seemed to want the contestants to say "true daily double."  If anyone went all-in but didn't utter the magic words, she made sure to do it for them.  She certainly seemed like a genuine fan of the show to me.

I'm looking forward to LeVar with some trepidation.  I like him and wish him well but I think he's put himself in an impossible position with all the self-ballyhoo.  Even if he does pretty well, I'm sure we'll hear from everyone he didn't please even more vociferously than usual (not in this pleasant corner of the Internet, of course).

I'll admit I had no clue about the African emperor FJ earlier in the week.  Never heard of him even after I heard the answer. 

I did know this one.  Read pride and prejudice about 5 years ago.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dcalley said:

I wish I could say it was on purpose. But I’m sure Cher would know the truth.

image.thumb.jpeg.da54319afa762d3579b8c74d36442139.jpeg

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, nokat said:

I'm in Southern California. Sometimes the episode will be on at 11 p.m. after sports. It's why I'm always behind with comments. 

I'm on the west coast too, and it runs at 7:00 here on ABC. Thank goodness for our old Tivo.

13 hours ago, dcalley said:

I thought it was - but as an avowed despiser of Austin's work, I wasn't sure. I smiled anyway.

(edited)
21 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

Austen.  (Yes, I am a pedant, not proud of it.)

Ah, go ahead and be proud of it. :) Thanks for tipping me to my error.

I'll leave it as is, so folks will know what you're pendanting about. 🤣 (no need to correct this one, it's a willful error.)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
17 hours ago, dcalley said:

I thought it was - but as an avowed despiser of Austin's work, I wasn't sure. I smiled anyway.

Aww. I'm sorry someone ruined Austen for you -- mostly because I imagine you being so much like me.

I'm assuming Jeopardy will be on here in Rochester NY as usual at 7:30 p.m. because it's on CBS instead of NBC and because OnTVtonight says it is. But usually whenever I assume anything, it jinxes it, so I'm prepared for alternate viewing methods, which probably jinxes the jinx, which is a good thing.🙃

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Aww. I'm sorry someone ruined Austen for you -- mostly because I imagine you being so much like me.

That's so very sweet of you, and I think (other than that) we are very similar. No one but Austen ruined Austen for me, though. To be fair, I feel similarly about Wuthering Heights. I have a cold dead heart. 🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

My sister and I have created 2 rules that we think Jeopardy! should embrace.  1.  If you don't get FJ! correct, you cannot win the game, no matter how much money you have.  2.   You have to bet at least the amount of the clue if you hit a Daily Double.  None of this "I'll wager $100."  Don't pick a clue in that category if you don't know the category. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

My sister and I have created 2 rules that we think Jeopardy! should embrace.  1.  If you don't get FJ! correct, you cannot win the game, no matter how much money you have.  2.   You have to bet at least the amount of the clue if you hit a Daily Double.  None of this "I'll wager $100."  Don't pick a clue in that category if you don't know the category. 

Nah do not like it. 

All the categories eventually get picked so at some point you have to choose something you don't know.  

If all three miss FJ no winner?   Not really fair either if it's a runaway game you miss on clue and then lose.  

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I disagree.  If a player has gets 3/4 of the clues right on the FJ and DJ board and then misses FL, does he really deserve to lose to someone who did so much worse in the original two rounds. And as @DrSpaceman points out, there are times when nobody gets the FJ answer.

And, no on 2 also.  A contestant should always have the option of making sure they stay out of the hole.  What if the DD is the last clue on the board. How are you going to avoid picking it.  Smart wagering is part of the game and you seem to be trying to remove that element.

• Love 3