Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:
5 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

In the first daily double today, shouldn’t the contestant have been able to bet $1000.  She had $400 at the time and bet it all, but Maiym never said she could bet $1000.

While contestants SHOULD know they can bet 1000 in the J round, in the excitement and pressure of the game, it can easily be forgotten. IMO Mayim made a serious error by not saying she could bet up to 1000. Players should always be reminded of that rule, and that's the job of the host.

I’ve noticed other guest hosts making the mistake of not telling the player who lands on first-round DD with less than $1K that they can bet up to that much.
Not sure which of these: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7028   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7002   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6967   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6934    j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6927   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6915   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6903   
 —or if they chose instead of wagering $1K to “make it a true Daily Double.”

This may have also happened in DJ when the contestant landed on a DD with less than $2K and wasn’t offered aloud at the moment the option to bet that much. Not sure if this was the case: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7021 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7025 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7009 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6981 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6960  or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6942   or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6931   or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6916   
—or if they just chose to bet conservatively because of it being later in the game and/or because of the category.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought it was great that Jennifer Love Hewitt won tonight. She doesn’t have a series on (that I’m aware of) so the money will come in very handy. That said, I wish Jennifer would stop hamming it up. This is Jeopardy. It isn’t The Price is Right. Calm the F down. 

I know you're joking, but just FYI, Jennifer Love Hewitt is currently a regular on the Fox drama 9-1-1.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

My friend was over to play cards and we took an enjoyable break to play Jeopardy together. I got cauldron, hovercraft, Earl, the DD of Ghandi, Room with a View, and Zinc. Neither of us came up with FJ, but we had fun. 

• Love 8

I am not even going to make a comment about Julia.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of elephant, Hadassah, A Room With a View, and Gibraltar.

FJ was nearly an instaget.  Luckily my knowledge of French ministers is very limited so I zoomed in pretty quickly.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't suppose "Who was the bad guy in the movie 'The Three Musketeers'" would have counted for FJ today, right?  I just could not come up with his name.

The first thing I said after the answer was revealed was "Man, I've got to brush up on The Three Musketeers" - so we're in sync - though I didn't even come near it.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sometimes I'm like Julia, and being on Jeopardy might have been one of those situations.
Pretty amazing that she's an attorney and managed to get on Jeopardy and managed to win at least one game. 

Julia clearly processes out loud, and while it is very different from the norm, I rather liked her enthusiasm and surprise when she got some things right (just like I do). I like less buttoned down people now and again. (liked Buzzy and Austin).

I got Hadassah, elephant and Gilbraltar (been there as a kid, have a funny/gross story about it - which I wouldn't tell on Jeopardy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sometimes I'm like Julia, 

Julia clearly processes out loud,

Often talking helps me mentally process and compute information. 
But for Julia it seems like more of a reset mechanism to get her onto the next factoid.
Regardless, having had to write hundreds and hundreds of times "I will not talk in class," I hereby take on the virtual role of cheerleader for Julia.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Often talking helps me mentally process and compute information. 
But for Julia it seems like more of a reset mechanism to get her onto the next factoid.
Regardless, having had to write hundreds and hundreds of times "I will not talk in class," I hereby take on the virtual role of cheerleader for Julia.

Yep, that was the only thing I got reprimanded for in school. Though thankfully, I didn't have to write any sentences. 😄

• Love 4
On 6/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, proserpina65 said:

Is it better or worse that I tried to make him a member of the Montreal Canadiens?

Worse.  I can appreciate the greatness of Gordie Howe, but we Habs fans have plenty of our own heroes, thank you very much! 🏒 😉

• Love 7
(edited)

I find it fascinating how certain contestants can be charming to some people and annoying as hell to others.  

I got FJ, although the misspellings of Richelieu grated.  I grew up in in a town that bordered the Richelieu River and saw it on road signs every day.

I got earl, elephant, A Room with a View, zinc, and Ghandi.

Add me to the list of those who felt that Mayim should have told the contestant she was allowed to bet up to 1000 for the Daily Double.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Add me to the list of those who felt that Mayim should have told the contestant she was allowed to bet up to 1000 for the Daily Double.

Yes, it has bugged me every time I've heard a guest host fail to remind the contestant. 
But I don't think the small difference has had any real impact.
I haven't been watching regularly enough for a long enough time to know if Alex ever missed saying it.

FWIW, when I was going through the guest-hosted shows to try to find the other instances of failures to offer the $1000K for the DD, I think Aaron Rodgers was the only one who definitely didn't flub it at least once, which fits with what I heard about him taking the preparation for hosting as seriously as a Super Bowl.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Between the Fox 45 coverage of the tornado warning and intermittent severe downpours which interfered with my satellite reception, I missed a good bit of last night's Jeopardy.  Upon checking the archive, I see there were a lot of TS clues, and I got pretty much all of them in the first round, including the (presumably eel-less) hovercrafts, except for elephants, which I did not think about being in Nepal for some reason.  Not so much in DJ, though, where I got A Room with a View, Gibraltar and Being There, but not the others.

I had to think about FJ for a moment, but came up with Cardinal Richelieu in, I believe, sufficient time to have written it down.  All in all, not a bad game for me but not a good game for the contestants.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

True. However, I'm familiar with tobacco and how it's grown, harvested and dried, and I have to say I've never seen a tee-pee-shaped "hut" barn for drying tobacco.

Me neither.  The ones I've seen here in Maryland and in Virginia look like the photo you posted.

• Love 2

J!: Wow, only two TS in the first round... I got Washington DC. Ran Death Of A Literary Character, Failed Constitutional Amendments, and Behind The Song and only missed one each in Pieces Of Games and All The Small "Ling"s. 83%!! Best round in, well, maybe ever...(when I've kept score, at least).

DJ: Ran nothing! Missed one each in Ears (I better get those…I have tinnitis, and I've had labyrinthitis, which is super-not-fun) and Cinematic Cities. Missed two each in Clay and Quick Study, and got only one each in the other two categories. There were five TS and I didn't get a single one. I got both DDs, at least. 55% bleh. (But not my worst round ever...)

FJ: Got it; luckily they didn't want the author because I couldn't think of who wrote it. 70% overall; best game of the week.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

luckily they didn't want the author because I couldn't think of who wrote it.

Couldn't remember if it was Hobbes or John Locke, but I got the work and an asterisk!!!

• Love 4

I said The Tempest, but at the last second changed my answer to Leviathan.  Whoo-hoo.

I got the missed clues of equilibrium and thunder.

I got the entire categories of lings, literary character deaths, magna cartography and ears right.

It probably didn't make a difference, but if you ring in and don't know the answer, don't help the other contestants by giving the book title.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Got the FJ answer but not a clue about the author so it’s good they didn’t ask.

I enjoyed watching Julia win tonight, while still being very expressive and appearing to enjoy herself she was a bit calmer in her second game.  I hope she holds on.

Mayim is impressing me as host, but I’ve always liked her so I’m not surprised at that.

• Love 5

I had no idea for FJ tonight.  But I did get Washington DC, backgammon, and Cloud City.

Did Julia dot the "i" in her name with a heart last night?  I noticed it tonight.  Is she actually an eight-year-old?  I don't know any grown people who do that.

Also, I take exception to Whitney's answer for the countries on the island of Great Britain.  I heard her say, "Wales, Scotland, and Island."  J-archive says she said England, but I didn't hear it.  At best I heard "Ireland", which is wrong.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did Julia dot the "i" in her name with a heart last night?  I noticed it tonight.  Is she actually an eight-year-old?  I don't know any grown people who do that.

Also, I take exception to Whitney's answer for the countries on the island of Great Britain.  I heard her say, "Wales, Scotland, and Island."  J-archive says she said England, but I didn't hear it.  At best I heard "Ireland", which is wrong.

Someone in my state (in her 50s) was throwing fits because the DMV said she couldn’t put her “smiley face” at the end of her name and she insist it is “part of her signature”.  I’ve seen worse than a heart over the “i” in Julia on this game.

Whitneys answer sounded like “IrEngland” to me which is definitely wrong, they must have given her credit for correcting herself.

• Love 5

Okay, tonight confirmed for me that I do not care for Mayim as host.  I know the hosts make little comments throughout the show, but when Mayim shockingly told the one contestant that 'by looking at her she wouldn't guess that she would know the answer' to the question about an Aerosmith song.  Why?  Because she looks like an average person?  Would Mayim have said that to someone based on ethnicity/race or did she only feel free to make that comment because the woman was a middle-aged European American?  I felt it was a demeaning comment based solely on one's appearance.  Maybe Mayim is a bit too comfortable?  

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

only missed one each in Pieces Of Games and All The Small "Ling"s.

I’m the opposite. Those were the only two that I did run. I got Backgammon, and the missed DD of equilibrium. I was stumped at FJ. I was very surprised that they had 2 FJ clues in one week that stated the 17th century. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

but when Mayim shockingly told the one contestant that 'by looking at her she wouldn't guess that she would know the answer' to the question about an Aerosmith song.

Yeah, I thought that was weird and wondered if I'd missed something.  If she'd been a long-time contestant and she didn't normally do well in pop culture or music categories, that would be one thing.  But, it just seemed like "what"?  I'm really bad at guessing ages, but I'd guess that contestant was in her 20s (30s tops) when that song came out, so not weird for her to know it at all, IMO.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Two straight Final questions about the 17th century.

Yes, that occurred to me immediately when I saw the category.  Do the writers have that century on their minds?

45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought she said Ireland, too.  Certainly not England.  Mayim ruled her correct, but I was sure they would issue a judge's ruling at the next break and deduct points.  

• Love 5

I’m 64 and like Aerosmith.  And GNR.  And Humble Pie.  I tuned in for FJ! and had no clue.  The only time I’ve heard leviathan is on  J!  and had no clue what it is or that it was the title of a book.

• Love 8
(edited)

Dude Looks Like a Lady came out in fall 1987. I was 12. I'm also bad at ages but the contestant is certainly older than me, but most likely younger than my parents, who would have been in their 40s at the time.

44 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Mayim has been kind of snarky at times.  If she has let her hair down and that is truly how she acts, yikes, that isn't a good look in a professional environment.  I wasn't surprised that the lady in the middle gave the correct answer.

I've been listening to her podcast that she started a few months ago. I mentioned that I was primed to be annoyed the other day because I had listened to an episode earlier; she has a tendency to interrupt her guests, and there's a lot of laughing that gets a little obnoxious sometimes. (Also they do a lot of those "hey, we're totally having an actual conversation and not reading a script" kinds of ads, and they go on forever. One of them is for bottled water which repeats the "you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day" myth and I feel like she should know better.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

Yep, Mayim lost me for good tonight with her insulting comment to the contestant about the Aerosmith song. I'm frankly surprised the editors and producer let that one stay.

I'm also ready for our poker-faced champ to go away.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

but when Mayim shockingly told the one contestant that 'by looking at her she wouldn't guess that she would know the answer' to the question about an Aerosmith song.  Why?

Yeah, what the hell was that - because she's an older southern housewife, she's not going to know that song?  That was about 60 seconds into Susie's first game, so it's not like it was based on any actual evidence of what is and is not in her wheelhouse.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

She started to (presumably) say Ireland, but all she said was the I before correcting herself and saying England.

The D.C. TS surprised me a bit.  Julia's xylophones answer for what xylology is the study of cracked me up - she was dead serious.

I almost ran the first round, but I missed two games (Risk and backgammon).  In DJ, though, I only ran African Americans and ears, and I was terrible in studies - I only knew gerontology!  I missed two each in the rest.  I finished it off by having no idea for FJ.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Josiemae said:

Yep, Mayim lost me for good tonight with her insulting comment to the contestant about the Aerosmith song. I'm frankly surprised the editors and producer let that one stay.

I'm also ready for our poker-faced champ to go away.

How is her comment different from the many times Alex said that contestants were too young to know certain information? Julia seemed much calmer today than in her first game.

• Love 7

Mayim has been doing a great job. I think they’ll go with a guy in the end though. So, who follows Mayim? I know Savannah Guthrie is one. Her voice annoys me. It always sounds like she has a cold and a scratchy throat. LOL!!! I think LevVar Burton is doing a week and, I think…….George Stephanopoulos is also getting a shot. It’s gonna be a tough decision in the end. I actually like Mike Richards who is the executive producer the most. He seems like a throwback to the days of game show host before they started hiring comedians.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

So, who follows Mayim?

According to this list, the upcoming guest hosts are:

Savannah Guthrie, June 14 - June 25

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, June 28 - July 9

George Stephanopoulos, July 12 - July 16

Robin Roberts, July 19 - July 23

LeVar Burton, July 26 - July 30

David Faber, August 2 - August 6

Joe Buck, August 9 - August 13

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

How is her comment different from the many times Alex said that contestants were too young to know certain information?

I’m not 100% sure, but didn’t Alex use his “you’re too young to know” line if it was a TS? In contrast, Mayim made a backhanded compliment to someone for getting something right, which is always insulting.

Dear Mayim, I’m sorry your gaffe was not edited out, but do keep in mind that you are not part of an acting ensemble on a situation comedy show. 

I was yelling “equilibrium” at the TV.

• Love 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Thanks.

I had to look up David Faber. And, after seeing his picture I still don’t know who he is. LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think Robin Roberts could be really good, I’m looking forward to seeing her and LeVar Burton.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, I guess I'm a terrible person, too, since I didn't think middle woman looked like a typical Aerosmith fan either.  And it has nothing to do with age.

Yes, but there's a difference between thinking this (based on race? region?) and making a statement reflecting this on an acclaimed national program (IMO).

I wondered how I would have reacted if I had been that contestant-she did have a slight visible reaction, but I would have so wanted to ask Mayim why she would have thought that...

• Love 5
(edited)

I have forgotten just exactly what Mayim said to Susie about Aerosmith but I was annoyed about it too.  She looked just the right age to be familiar with Aerosmith.

I was really rooting for her and shouted Equilibrium as loud as I could but, of course, she didn't hear me.

I had no idea for FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I did really well in the first round.  I fell off the turnip truck after that.🚚

I did too - ran the song category, and just missed running one more. Unusually good board for me. But then I tanked in DJ.

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I’m 64 and like Aerosmith.  And GNR.  And Humble Pie.  I tuned in for FJ! and had no clue.  The only time I’ve heard leviathan is on  J!  and had no clue what it is or that it was the title of a book.

I'm 65 and they were artists who were current when we were younger. Part of the soundtrack of our lives.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm only looking forward to LeVar Burton, because I don't really know most of the others or can't imagine them as hosts. But hey, I've been wrong before.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Plus I would like to see Neil Patrick Harris give it a shot

Oh, that would have been great!

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I will watch LeVar and Joe, none of the rest.  I won't watch media members host.  The only reason I will watch Joe is because I only know him as a sports announcer.  Yes, technically he is in the media, but not in the same way as the others.  Also, most of the comments that I have read about him, are from people who don't like him.

I watch Jeopardy to see if I can get the answers myself - I don't much care who the host is, though certainly some or more enjoyable that others. I was surprised by some of the earlier broadcasters - both pleasantly and not so pleasantly. But it's all about the answers for me.  Let's me stretch my brain on weeknights and compete with my husband. Doesn't mean I don't have favorites of the bunch we've seen. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did anyone else tear up a little at the Charlotte web question?  

Yes! And then I tried to figure out what kind of person I was that I got teary over the death of a spider in literature and not over the death of the four people in literature that were in the other clues.

I was caught off guard by Mayim's comment about the Aerosmith clue, but not offended. I didn't take it so much as an ageist comment as it was that Aerosmith is a hard rock band and the contestant looked like a sweet, prim, Mom type. (And I know that today's sweet, prim, Mom types are the ones who grew up listening to Aerosmith, but it's easy to forget that!)

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Well, I guess I'm a terrible person, too, since I didn't think middle woman looked like a typical Aerosmith fan either.  And it has nothing to do with age.

Back when that song was released I'd have laughed to hear someone tell me (in my mid 20s) they were surprised I was an Aerosmith fan.  I didn't look the part then and I don't now, but it isn't something I personally would consider insulting.  I guess that's why it didn't bother me at all.

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

Back when that song was released I'd have laughed to hear someone tell me (in my mid 20s) they were surprised I was an Aerosmith fan.  I didn't look the part then and I don't now, but it isn't something I personally would consider insulting.  I guess that's why it didn't bother me at all.

I didn't look the part either - and I was a fan of musicians as different as Aerosmith and Jimmy Buffet. I didn't wear clothes typically worn from fans of any of them. I seemed typical and buttoned down to most. I didn't mind if people thought me "square" - but I can see that someone else without my background and attitude might be offended. That being said, when Mayim said what she said, all I thought of was "so what does an Aerosmith fan look like all these years later?"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I will watch LeVar and Joe, none of the rest.  I won't watch media members host.  The only reason I will watch Joe is because I only know him as a sports announcer.  Yes, technically he is in the media, but not in the same way as the others.  Also, most of the comments that I have read about him, are from people who don't like him. 

I watch for the game, not the host, so they will really have to annoy me to make me stop watching the rest of their run. Not familiar with Faber and Buck, other than what I've read on articles discussing Jeopardy (which isn't much) and Buck was on some podcast I listen to a while back. Most of the rest I know just because they are in media; I don't watch their shows. I do listen to Sanjay Gupta's podcast (which started last year as a short daily show about the coronavirus, and has now shifted to a weekly show about getting back to some semblance of normal life), so I'm looking forward to him and LeVar Burton, mostly. The others I neither like nor dislike, and will reserve judgment until I see how they do.

Neil Patrick Harris would have been fun.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That being said, when Mayim said what she said, all I thought of was "so what does an Aerosmith fan look like all these years later?"

And you don't need to be a fan to be familiar with the song, either. I know (and may or may not like) plenty of songs from bands that I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of. They were all over the radio in their heyday and back then we didn't have all these carefully curated streaming channels...we just listened to whatever station played the kind of music we liked. I heard lots of Aerosmith as a teenager but I would probably never have bought an album or gone to a concert.

• Love 11