Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men

Bort
  • Start Topic

Attention: If you or a loved one were exposed to Compound V, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Vought has given the drug to multiple victims, without their knowledge or consent. If you believe that you or a loved one were administered Compound V, call the law firm of Bremmer & Bremmer at 1-888-177-2774 for a free legal consultation. Know your rights!

Airdate: 4 September 2020

Finally an episode with action, adventure and comedy in the right proportions. Entertainment should be entertaining. This is a very pivotal episode, you can really see the cracks starting to form and a few characters could change their allegiances.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mac123x said:

Shocked, shocked am I, that someone named Stormfront turned out to be a bigot!

And I for one love this twist because the character has annoyed me since the previews, and now I can just hate her instead of trying to stomach another perky tough girl trope. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, mac123x said:

Shocked, shocked am I, that someone named Stormfront turned out to be a bigot!

I don't grasp the connection you made to her 'hero' name but she was a hideous racist asshole for sure. Maybe she and Homelander will take one another out. #wecandream

I knew 'dad' would end up pushing Ryan off the roof and I called he would manifest his powers when his mum was threatened.

I enjoy all the characters in Hughie's gang but Butcher makes it so much more fun.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I enjoy all the characters in Hughie's gang but Butcher makes it so much more fun

Right now I'm kind of disliking Butcher a LOT.  He keeps holding back vital information until it bites them in the ass.  He didn't tell the others about his deal with Mallory, so when he took a shot at Kamiko's brother it looked like an asshole move.  Later he didn't tell them that he'd stolen the boat until after the cops arrived.

Maybe his diversion that kept Homelander from killing Hughie is the start of him being less of an asshole, but I doubt it.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, mac123x said:

Right now I'm kind of disliking Butcher a LOT.  He keeps holding back vital information until it bites them in the ass.  He didn't tell the others about his deal with Mallory, so when he took a shot at Kamiko's brother it looked like an asshole move.  Later he didn't tell them that he'd stolen the boat until after the cops arrived.

Maybe his diversion that kept Homelander from killing Hughie is the start of him being less of an asshole, but I doubt it.

Oh he's deffo an asshole but he's an entertaining asshole, lol. 

I don't understand why Kamiko's brother didn't just telekinesis her from the roof to the roof he'd jumped over to before Stormfront caught up with them? Seems like a plot hole.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

When I read about Stormfront's comic character being a former Nazi I hoped that they wouldn't bring the racist traits to the show but would instead focus on how the character was a rival for Homelander. After her comment while killing Kimiko's brother it made me wonder if she killed all of those people in the building because they were black just because she could and it makes me lowkey dread the rest of the season. I'm sure that they could have added any number of characters that were in the comic to the show and I'm wondering why Stormfront was the one that they chose. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'll guess: the next rap group's t-shirt Mother's Milk will wear is "Run DMC". 

Ooops! I made a big mistake looking up "Stormfront". Wanted to burn my laptop,

Curious how Hughey feels about his "second wind" Starlite now.

I have a feeling it will not go well for Maeve's ex once Homelander finds out. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

When I read about Stormfront's comic character being a former Nazi I hoped that they wouldn't bring the racist traits to the show but would instead focus on how the character was a rival for Homelander. After her comment while killing Kimiko's brother it made me wonder if she killed all of those people in the building because they were black just because she could and it makes me lowkey dread the rest of the season. I'm sure that they could have added any number of characters that were in the comic to the show and I'm wondering why Stormfront was the one that they chose. 

Several of the people on The Boys are horrible people. Racists are mostly horrible people. It fits. I don't see the problem.

I'm sure the argument will be about the current climate about racial issues but that will always be a problem and they started filming this before the multiple tragic events this year. 

For me, if she is that terrible and not just making one off the cuff racial remark, it will just be all the more reason I will want to see her taken down.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Several of the people on The Boys are horrible people. Racists are mostly horrible people. It fits. I don't see the problem.

That's great that you think that it fits. You don't have to agree or see it as a problem. I was stating why I have a problem with it. 

Edited by DeeDee79
9 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

That's great that you think that it fits. You don't have to agree or see it as a problem. I was stating why I have a problem with it. 

As I was giving my thoughts. 

12 minutes ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

Ugh.  Only 3 episodes released? Way to kill the whole point of streaming Amazon.  Guess I'll check back the weekend of 10/9 & just pretend that was the release date all along.

Yeah, I suspect we will see more and more of this as time goes on. Spreading out viewing engagement. 

I don't mind it though. All the binging these days are killing the long term discussions a lot of used to have because people binge and dispose so quickly or not quick enough.

• Love 14

As soon as I saw that the new character was named "Stormfront" in the trailer  I knew that she was specifically brought on the show to a) go toe to toe with Homelander, and b) be a vile Nazi bitch more hateful than Homelander.   "Stormfront" has been not so subtle code for Nazi for a very long time.

So I am not at all surprised that I am hating her and am hoping she won't live to see the third season.

Homelander of course is a nasty piece of shit but the actor makes him such fun to watch.   Unless it's a musical called "The Producers" or maybe a movie by Taika Waititi there is nothing "fun"  about Nazis.

• Love 9

Ugh.  Only 3 episodes released? Way to kill the whole point of streaming Amazon.  Guess I'll check back the weekend of 10/9 & just pretend that was the release date all along.

I kind of like the one episode per week release formula. It gives us all a chance to digest and discuss each episode rather than the season as a whole. Also, binging does not lend itself to retention. By the time a new season rolls around I've completely forgotten the previous one and have to do a rewatch. 

I was actually shocked by the ending of this one, I was not aware of the "Stormfront" connotation." So, jaw dropped, good job show.

Loved the whole ocean chase scene with the sharks and the whale. The visuals on that were impressive, and it really gave The Deep a moment to shine. He can actually be pretty valuable when you need a superhero on the water.

They are trying really hard to redeem him but I'm not sure where they're going. They're still down one superhero in "The Seven." They've either got to get another new one or let The Deep back in.

• Love 4

I was wondering if they were going to bring in Stormfront's comic personality. We never saw her interact with A-Train. I'm hoping she doesn't make it past this season. I know everyone is an asshole on this show, but we don't need a racist one. 

Homelander doesn't care about anyone. Although he almost looked like he was going to cry in front of Mauve. Now that he knows Elena's name she's probably toast. I do feel bad for Mauve, Homelander seems to think she belongs to him, so she's kind of stuck. 

• Love 2

Holy crap, I thought Stormfront would end up being an ally of Annie.  I thought she was just a psycho killing the civilians, but now that someone brought up the fact that they were all black, it really makes my stomach turn.

I want to know more about Black Noir.  He was crying when the news about Compound V came out, and he made a farewell gesture to the dead whale. 

It's really disgusting that all of those parents made money off of experimenting on their kids and even more money exploiting them when they got older.  I really hope that Annie doesn't try to make amends with her mom.

• Love 3

I know it's not real, but I felt awful for Lucy, the awesome whale.  I know the DEEP is a major creep (although I guess he is becoming a bit more aware), but I liked how he really grieved for her. 

I didn't read the comics, and wasn't aware of the Stormfront Nazi connotations, so I was taken aback by her.  I thought she would ally with Starlight, but instead she is a rival to Homelander, and not in a positive way.

• Love 2

I do feel bad for Mauve, Homelander seems to think she belongs to him

This sums up Homelander in a sentence, really well.  He thinks everyone should worship him--I think he even thinks of himself as a Christian, because he wants (and feels like he deserves) that kind of devotion.

I'd missed the connection about Storm Front.  It's an interesting subversion of the trope of good vs. evil, because this is a show about people who are evil, but on different sides (and good but occasionally flawed people.)

Is it a coincidence that Homelander, Starlighter, and Homelander's kid all have heat vision?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

This sums up Homelander in a sentence, really well.  He thinks everyone should worship him--I think he even thinks of himself as a Christian, because he wants (and feels like he deserves) that kind of devotion.

I'd missed the connection about Storm Front.  It's an interesting subversion of the trope of good vs. evil, because this is a show about people who are evil, but on different sides (and good but occasionally flawed people.)

Is it a coincidence that Homelander, Starlighter, and Homelander's kid all have heat vision?

Huh? I doubt Homelander thinks of himself as a Christian. He considers himself a god. Not sure how you reconcile that.

Starlight doesn't have heat vision. Her eyes glow, but her energy blasts come from her hands.

Screenshot_2020-09-06-20-32-34_kindlephoto-159447376.png

• Love 2
On 9/5/2020 at 6:15 PM, DeeDee79 said:

Not sure why a villain being a racist Nazi would bother you. They used this character because Stormfront played a large role in the comics and was the closest to matching Homelander in power. And before people start to chime in, the character was created 12 years ago by Garth Ennis, who is anything but politically correct or anyone's idea of a "social justice warrior".

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, moonshine71 said:

Not sure why a villain being a racist Nazi would bother you. They used this character because Stormfront played a large role in the comics and was the closest to matching Homelander in power. And before people start to chime in, the character was created 12 years ago by Garth Ennis, who is anything but politically correct or anyone's idea of a "social justice warrior".

*sigh* I don't see why I have to defend why it bothers me (again ). I'm also not the only one on this board who has said that they didn't like it so it's not like I'm the only one that feels this way. I see enough bigotry and have had my fair share of racism thrown at me and I don't look forward to seeing similar situations play out on the show. Again, that is my opinion and I'm not the only one that shares it.

• Love 7

How exactly was being in front of a speeding boat with automatic weapons in it not supposed to result in the whale being at least seriously injured? The Deep may whine about how sensitive and unloved he is, but at the end of the day he will manipulate and sacrifice his "friends" any time he feels like it. The empathy he felt afterward was caused by him experiencing Lucy's agony via a psychic link, but as soon as it wears off he'll be just fine doing the same thing again.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

How exactly was being in front of a speeding boat with automatic weapons in it not supposed to result in the whale being at least seriously injured? The Deep may whine about how sensitive and unloved he is, but at the end of the day he will manipulate and sacrifice his "friends" any time he feels like it. The empathy he felt afterward was caused by him experiencing Lucy's agony via a psychic link, but as soon as it wears off he'll be just fine doing the same thing again.

True! Deep's presence just seems to equal another gory sea creatures death at this point ☹️

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

The Deep may whine about how sensitive and unloved he is, but at the end of the day he will manipulate and sacrifice his "friends" any time he feels like it

That was pretty much my take on it. 

I like where this is going. On the one hand, the scandal about Compound V should have been the biggest thing but it's overshadowed by the terrorist story. It's all so depressingly familiar.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Yes. Cry me a river, The Deep.  He is the one who's getting his friends from the sea killed, one after the other.  And while I am at this subject, I may  laughingly cringe at all the violence and extreme gore in the show because it's all satire and black humor but I was upset about the dolphin and the whale.  Knowing full well that no actual dolphin and whale were killed making the show.   I don't know what that says about me, but there it is.  FBI lady's head explodes - no emotional reaction other than shock at the unexpectedness of it.  Fictional dolphin and whale brutally killed - I felt sad.

I guess it all comes from the same place where I get upset when a dog is killed in a movie but I won't bat an eye lash when 20 human characters get killed off.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Broderbits said:

If Stormfront and Homelander had a fight to the death, I wouldn't complain. Especially if neither survived.....

And wouldn't it be a shame if A-Train happened to get between them?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, magdalene said:

Yes. Cry me a river, The Deep.  He is the one who's getting his friends from the sea killed, one after the other.  And while I am at this subject, I may  laughingly cringe at all the violence and extreme gore in the show because it's all satire and black humor but I was upset about the dolphin and the whale.  Knowing full well that no actual dolphin and whale were killed making the show.   I don't know what that says about me, but there it is.  FBI lady's head explodes - no emotional reaction other than shock at the unexpectedness of it.  Fictional dolphin and whale brutally killed - I felt sad.

I guess it all comes from the same place where I get upset when a dog is killed in a movie but I won't bat an eye lash when 20 human characters get killed off.

I never got it but millions of people do what you do. People and animals! I can't relate. 

• Love 1

How exactly was being in front of a speeding boat with automatic weapons in it not supposed to result in the whale being at least seriously injured? The Deep may whine about how sensitive and unloved he is, but at the end of the day he will manipulate and sacrifice his "friends" any time he feels like it. The empathy he felt afterward was caused by him experiencing Lucy's agony via a psychic link, but as soon as it wears off he'll be just fine doing the same thing again.

To be fair I don't think The Deep anticipated Butcher's kamikaze nature. Logic would dictate that a speedboat would not want to race headlong into a several ton sized whale. It's really kind of a joke that everyone in the boat managed to walk away alive, let alone unharmed. That kind of impact should have killed them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oh yeah. I'm skeptical that a speedboat could actually penetrate all the way through a sperm whale even going at 100+ mph; more likely it would have folded up like an accordion on impact and crushed everyone inside, killing them all except Kimiko. Though the collision probably still would have proved fatal to poor Lucy, if less gorily so.

Also, if that speedboat was going full throttle there's no way a whale (or anything natural that swims, for that matter) could have overtaken it, though the Deep himself may be able to swim faster than physics allow. Would have been more realistic if he and Lucy had popped out of the water well ahead of the Boys to cut them off. And they might as well have used "Yakety Sax" to score the chase scene with the speeded-up sharks.

• Love 2
On 9/6/2020 at 9:38 PM, AnimeMania said:

That sounds like Stormfront's power wouldn't hurt Starlight, just make her stronger.

That'd be an interesting fight.  Maybe Stormfront would be able to eventually overload Starlight like an overcharged battery.  Then we could see another character's head asplode!  [/retch]

Starlight doesn't have heat vision. Her eyes glow, but her energy blasts come from her hands.

In the first episode this season, she blows up a TV in the cab with her eyes.  Last season, she almost blew up Hughie with her eyes when she lost control.  It might not be "heat vision", but it's close.

That said, there is already the Compound V connection, so it could go either way.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

I agree.  I like Streaming because I can binge watch and not wait every week for a new episode.  So if they are going with the weekly episode I will wait until season is done and watch it then.  Why exactly are they doing it this way?  Is this a blockbuster series?  Even Umbrella Academy, which is a big hit, puts out the full season to stream.  That show could get away with doing it weekly.  The Boys not so much.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I agree.  I like Streaming because I can binge watch and not wait every week for a new episode.  So if they are going with the weekly episode I will wait until season is done and watch it then.  Why exactly are they doing it this way?  Is this a blockbuster series?  Even Umbrella Academy, which is a big hit, puts out the full season to stream.  That show could get away with doing it weekly.  The Boys not so much.

The boys isn't on Netflix which always puts out a whole season at once. I prefer one episode a week because it gives me time to digest it and read people opinions about it if needed. During the summer there isn't that much on anyway so you like to stretch things out a little.

When you binge multiple episodes a night things get fuzzy. I am currently on season 11 of Supernatural and if asked I would probably not remember what the theme for each season is without looking it up.

• Love 4
On 9/8/2020 at 5:48 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Oh yeah. I'm skeptical that a speedboat could actually penetrate all the way through a sperm whale even going at 100+ mph; more likely it would have folded up like an accordion on impact and crushed everyone inside, killing them all except Kimiko. Though the collision probably still would have proved fatal to poor Lucy, if less gorily so.

Also, if that speedboat was going full throttle there's no way a whale (or anything natural that swims, for that matter) could have overtaken it, though the Deep himself may be able to swim faster than physics allow. Would have been more realistic if he and Lucy had popped out of the water well ahead of the Boys to cut them off. And they might as well have used "Yakety Sax" to score the chase scene with the speeded-up sharks.

Speedboats have a pointy nose so if it hit the whale and embedded it would have just got stuck in the fat and stopped at the bones while launching the boats passengers. Otherwise the boat would just have gone over the whale like a ramp.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, UnknownK said:

The boys isn't on Netflix which always puts out a whole season at once. I prefer one episode a week because it gives me time to digest it and read people opinions about it if needed. During the summer there isn't that much on anyway so you like to stretch things out a little.

When you binge multiple episodes a night things get fuzzy. I am currently on season 11 of Supernatural and if asked I would probably not remember what the theme for each season is without looking it up.

The binge watching thing started when Netflix mostly streamed a limited number of reruns and people could catch up or have something to do on a lazy weekend. It's kind of a poor model to spend a lot of money producing a show and have people watch a whole season in two days and complain for another 51 weeks about when the next one starts. Netflix still does the full series release most of the time because it's their brand and they have more content overall.

What sucks for me is that I signed up for a free month of Amazon Prime and I'll only be able to make it to episode 5 before it runs out.

Poor Lucy, I knew it was coming, saw it in the trailer but, I was not prepared for the full scene.

Well, knew Stormfront was going to be evil, like all/most of them. Maeve and Annie seem to be the exceptions but, even Maeve allows stuff to happen simply to survive.

Kripke must really love Billy Joel (not that I'm complaining, I love him too). Unless the Billy Joel stuff is from the comics?

When they were in the center I was like yeah Stormfront and Homelander could just fight to the death, I'd be cool with them killing each other.  Then we got the scene of The Boys and Kimiko staring at the screen. Yeah, I think she deserves that kill.

I hope The Boys get some weapons or something to equal the playing field. It's getting to be very defeating since they can't really do anything to The Seven.

Butcher is and will probably always remain an asshole but, he's very entertaining. It helps that his entire team thinks he's an asshole. 

Ryan is powerful and definitely protective of his mom. This now makes me wonder what about other Supes who has kids (like Sixth Sense last year)? Did Vaught plan for that or is it unlikely to pass on to children?

Edited by Morrigan2575
Really hate autocorrect
  • Love 1

I think the name Stormfront was kind of clever, since she's basically X-Men's Storm in terms of powers, and a storm front is a real weather condition. But then, it also fits for obvious reasons. The dumbest supe name for me is a tie between The Deep and Homelander, but I wouldn't tell Homelander that.

Billy Joel's "You're Only Human" would have been one of those heavy rotation videos back in the days of MTV. I can see why Hughie would have been drawn to it. Fun fact: Mythbusters' Adam Savage is the nerdy friend drowning at the beach in the video.

• Useful 2
On 9/5/2020 at 2:54 PM, mac123x said:

On 9/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, SilverStormm said:

Oh he's deffo an asshole but he's an entertaining asshole, lol. 

I don't understand why Kamiko's brother didn't just telekinesis her from the roof to the roof he'd jumped over to before Stormfront caught up with them? Seems like a plot hole.

This show is replete with hateful people.  I hate the way Butcher treats Hughie and I get that his wife is being held captive/whatever by Vought but I don't think that's any excuse for the way he treats Hughie.  Homelander is just an all-around douchenozzle.  His view of the world is that he (and his son) are the most powerful people on the planet, and they can do whatever they want because nobody can stop them.

I can't tell if we are supposed to like either of these two, but right now, I am very much disliking both.

I also don't understand why Kimiko's brother didn't use his powers.  When Stormfront confronted them on the street, why didn't he lash out at once?  Then was he stunned by getting blasted through the wall?  I don't think so, because he was able to get himself back from that other rooftop to where Kimiko was battling Stormfront.  He was shown to be pretty powerful so I don't buy that he was so easily killed.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:44 PM, Racj82 said:

Yeah, I suspect we will see more and more of this as time goes on. Spreading out viewing engagement. 

I don't mind it though. All the binging these days are killing the long term discussions a lot of used to have because people binge and dispose so quickly or not quick enough.

I like spreading the shows out as well.  Makes it feel more like a TV season.  Otherwise what tends to happen is that some people race through all the episodes in a day or two.  Those that are late to the party will add thoughts later but there's not as much discussion because the fast viewers have already moved on to the next show they are watching.

Don't know what to make of The Deep's arc.  I know he's an ass, but I kind of feel sorry for him.  It was explained that part of the reason why he does what he does is because of shame and embarrassment from his gills.  He tries to be a hero and capture the so-called terrorist and his efforts aren't even appreciated or wanted.  To top it off, we have Homelander telling him that his gills are disgusting and that he needs to cover them up.  This from the guy with such an awful platinum blonde dye job on his own head.

I think The Deep has been shown to be an awful person but at least he's trying to be better.  When we have assholes like Homelander, Stormfront, Butcher, and A Train around, The Deep is far down the list for me of people to dislike.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Homelander is blonde, Antony Starr is brunette. That's not a character thing that's a production/actor's stylist thing.

I know the character is blonde in the comics, but I don't understand why he had to be blonde here.  Is blonde supposed to connote "All-American" and the show insisted on him literally looking like a Golden Boy?  Antony Starr's eyebrows are dark and his stubble is dark.  It just looks awful to me.  They should have either 1) found a blonde actor or blondish actor whose hair could be dyed even blonder without looking out of place, 2) dyed his eyebrows and CGI'd his stubble, or 3) just let him be a brunette.

In the comics, Wee Hughie looks like a complete dweeb.  Stormfront is a huge German man.  The Deep wears a diving helmet and his suit isn't so tight.  So they weren't necessarily opposed to making changes for the show.

7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Is blonde supposed to connote "All-American" and the show insisted on him literally looking like a Golden Boy? 

My guess is it's partially a mirror/bizarro world for Superman/Homelander, partially because of the whole Blonde Hair/Blue Eyed Aryan Master Race thing from Nazi Germany and partially (as you said) the whole All-American, Boy Next Door thing.

Having just seen pictures of Antony Star (never saw him before The Boys) I would prefer the darker hair, it's a good look for him 😁

• Love 1