Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men

Bort
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Having just seen pictures of Antony Star (never saw him before The Boys) I would prefer the darker hair, it's a good look for him 😁

You should check out Banshee with Anthony Starr. His character was basically super human on there. It also managed to be much more violent than this show. Although for some reason I thought he was short on Banshee but Homelander looks tall and imposing. I guess everyone else was really tall. 

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Having just seen pictures of Antony Star (never saw him before The Boys) I would prefer the darker hair, it's a good look for him 😁

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

You should check out Banshee with Anthony Starr. His character was basically super human on there. It also managed to be much more violent than this show. Although for some reason I thought he was short on Banshee but Homelander looks tall and imposing. I guess everyone else was really tall. 

If you can find a way to see it, the 2005-2010 New Zealand series Outrageous Fortune is well worth a watch/binge. Starr really shines in his opportunities to play scenes with himself as disparate twins Jethro and Van West. He's also terrific in both the comedic and the dramatic storylines each separate twin is given with other members of the cast. The show itself is a very fun ride!

Antony Starr - Jethro Van Outrageous Fortune 1.jpg

Edited by giovannif7
  • Useful 1

It bugs that the Boys are wanted terrorists who have their faces shown all over the news and yet Frenchie and Kimiko can run around Stormfront's news conference and nobody recognizes them. MM and Hughie can have dinner in a restaurant with Annie and nobody gives them a second glance. Starlight is even more famous and has her face plastered on posters, appears in commercials etc. and yet she can walk with Hughie down a crowded New York street and nobody knows who she is? At least make it more realistic and have her put on a pair of glasses, that way the audience could be sure no one would be able to recognize her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Rambler said:

It bugs that the Boys are wanted terrorists who have their faces shown all over the news and yet Frenchie and Kimiko can run around Stormfront's news conference and nobody recognizes them. MM and Hughie can have dinner in a restaurant with Annie and nobody gives them a second glance. Starlight is even more famous and has her face plastered on posters, appears in commercials etc. and yet she can walk with Hughie down a crowded New York street and nobody knows who she is? At least make it more realistic and have her put on a pair of glasses, that way the audience could be sure no one would be able to recognize her.

I am sure that everyone they meet is staring at their cellphones.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2020 at 9:41 PM, mac123x said:

Shocked, shocked am I, that someone named Stormfront turned out to be a bigot!

On 9/5/2020 at 7:55 AM, SilverStormm said:

she was a hideous racist asshole for sure.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, peridot said:

I thought she was just a psycho killing the civilians, but now that someone brought up the fact that they were all black, it really makes my stomach turn.

Wow. People are more concerned that she's a racist (based on one word of dialogue, at that) than that she's a psychotic mass murderer.  Cuz it would be so much better if she were a psycho killer of innocent families but not a racist.

The word of dialogue that turned my stomach most was not "yellow".  It was "Dad!" followed by a horrible and bloody splat.

7 hours ago, wrlord said:

Wow. People are more concerned that she's a racist (based on one word of dialogue, at that) than that she's a psychotic mass murderer.  Cuz it would be so much better if she were a psycho killer of innocent families but not a racist.

The word of dialogue that turned my stomach most was not "yellow".  It was "Dad!" followed by a horrible and bloody splat.

Tbf, for me it was because in this case her racism caused her to enjoy murdering people, she relished it. All murder is heinous but the enjoyment (based on race) she derived from it, took it up an extra hideous notch. Ick.

I love to loathe Homelander equally, perhaps more. My loathing of murdering psychopaths is not mutually exclusive, heh.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, wrlord said:

Wow. People are more concerned that she's a racist (based on one word of dialogue, at that) than that she's a psychotic mass murderer.

Those weren't white people she was killing, she didn't even attempt to keep the body count low. She just attributed the high body count and massive destruction to the Super Terrorist.

• Love 1

It's the fact that she's a murdering psycho and a racist. She had no regard for the people in that building because of the color of their skin. The dad and his kids were not in her way, they did nothing to her. She killed them because they were Black. Then having her call Kimiko's brother "yellow" they were driving home that fact. 

• Love 2
On 9/10/2020 at 3:51 PM, UnknownK said:

The boys isn't on Netflix which always puts out a whole season at once.

Seems to me that Amazon Prime usually drops the entire season of its originals at once. Just binged Utopia, and from my recollection, that's how it's done Man in the High Castle, the Expanse and Upload. 

The Boys S1 I think dropped all at once. They decided to release three episodes of S2 and then dribble them out on a weekly basis.. I think I agree that the upside is that it lets you digest things and talk about things in more detail. I probably have glossed over things in Utopia, even though I just wached it.

5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think I agree that the upside is that it lets you digest things and talk about things in more detail. I probably have glossed over things in Utopia, even though I just wached it.

It also motivates you to go back and look at something someone points out in an episode that you might have missed.

• Love 1

Well...I guess I did ask for a more villainous female superhero. In retrospect, the Stormfront name should probably have been a clue.

I know that this shows understanding of physics are usually highly dubious at best and more concerned about jokes or looking cool than being real, and I am normally cool with that (suspension of disbelief and all that) but there is no way that they would all have been totally fine after driving a speedboat into a whole ass whale. They would probably all have been torn to pieces, or thrown off the boat and killed on impact. Yeah obviously that wouldn't happen because they arent going to off half their cast, but that really took me out of the episode. 

I knew that as soon as they showed Homelander on the roof with his kid where this was going, I was just relieved the kid didn't crack on the ground like an egg. So the kid does actually have powers, and is understandably not thrilled with Homelander, so this could certainly be interesting.  

On 9/26/2020 at 1:03 AM, wrlord said:

It was more than one line of dialogue.

Calling her Stormfront is a pretty big clue. For people familiar with the notion of the white supremacist website, they might as well have called her Swastika Sister.

As others have said, it is her racism that informs her being a psychotic mass murderer. It allows her to casually kill innocent people by the dozens, something that we have not yet seen others Supes do. The implication has been that Supes act like gods and are cruel and unreliable. But I can't remember an on-scene incident where any of the Seven deliberately killed innocent civilians until now. 

And yes, the implications of Stormfront being a racist psychotic mass murderer are more terrifying than a garden-variety psychotic mass murderer. Because her racism will allow or even drive her to do acts of mass murder that  a garden-variety psychotic mass murderer like Homelander would not attempt.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 5
On 9/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, magdalene said:

I guess it all comes from the same place where I get upset when a dog is killed in a movie but I won't bat an eye lash when 20 human characters get killed off.

Because a dog is considered an innocent sonofabitch, but those 20 humans were probably evil sons of bitches!

On 9/26/2020 at 7:58 AM, AnimeMania said:

Those weren't white people she was killing, she didn't even attempt to keep the body count low. She just attributed the high body count and massive destruction to the Super Terrorist.

There was nothing during the scene to suggest she would have kept the bodycount lower if they were white. Certainly none of the other "heroes" do.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2020 at 11:24 PM, wrlord said:

There was nothing during the scene to suggest she would have kept the bodycount lower if they were white. Certainly none of the other "heroes" do.

Nothing except the viewers prior knowledge of her Supe name. Which was then backed up by the Yellow reference on the next kill. I guess the neoNazi thing does not exist in The Boys universe or the corporate types never would have used the name for their product but used the name to brand a Super Terrorist.

While I remember collateral damage deaths and Homelander's vendetta kills, just killing for the sake of killing before moving on to her target was new.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2020 at 6:06 AM, Raja said:

Nothing except the viewers prior knowledge of her Supe name. Which was then backed up by the Yellow reference on the next kill.

See, the yellow thing was the only indication I had - I was not familiar with the name before this show.

I like that after Madelyn Stillwell is gone, the lines between heroes and villains are starting to blur. Even though there are some clearer villains than others, they don't really fit the traditional archetypes of "hero vs. villain" like some MCU movie. Homelander is Stormfront's enemy now for example, even though they're both psychopathic villains. If season 1 was about exposing The Seven's hypocrisy, then season 2 feels more like blurring the lines of what a Supe is. From the season 2 trailer, it seems like other terrorists (or what seem to be mentally ill patients) will get a little of that Compound Steroids, so now everyone is gonna turn into a Supe now, so the difference between Superhero and Super-terrorist just isn't that simple anymore.

Hughie's subplot is f-ing depressing, man (and I mean that in a good way, since I love depressing shows). I sympathize with him a lot. I know more than one person who would find him to be annoying now because people just can't stand that kind of emotional weakness and whininess. They're more like Billy Butcher than they're like Hughie or even Mother's Milk. Hughie's in a bad place now, lost on what his purpose is, and I've been in that kind of existential crisis myself (maybe with a little less blood and murder on my hands). But the good news is, the next episode is probably gonna be a more cheerful one

Spoiler

(accidentally saw a clip on YouTube with Hughie and Annie singing to Billy Joel on a roadtrip),

so it's not all rock bottom with Petite Hughie.

I love how Ryan just lashes out at Homelander. He's finally found his kryptonite. Reminds me of myself and my father. Heh. "I f-ing hate you!" You got that right, son. Let your rage out. Don't take any crap from your abusive father.

I don't really care much about Stormfront's racial slur, even though I'm a Chinese. I've been called all kinds of slurs on the Internet (even by other Chinese of different nationalities, like China), so I'm pretty numb to it. Besides, it's the Americans that are portrayed as a-holes here, not the Asians, so we're not the one being stereotyped: you are.

• Love 2