Type keyword(s) to search

Tyra Banks: Smizin on the Dance Floor

• Start Topic

(edited)

What a joke. And no I'm not just bitter about Tom. Well, yeah I am but I watched Tyra on Americas Top Model and Americas Got Talent, she stinks. And did you see will be executive producer, too? So crappy.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 8

I could not be less interested.  Tyra makes things all about her.  That works for some shows, but not this one.  I don't know what they were thinking.  Tom (and Erin) were about the only part of the show I thought didn't need fixing.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

What a joke. And no I'm not just bitter about Tom. Well, yeah I am but I watched Tyra on Americas Top Model and Americas Got Talent, she stinks. And did you see will be executive producer, too? So crappy.

Who is the executive producer?

• LOL 1

There is a reboot of Punked in the works.   This HAS to be fake!    She was terrible on AGT.   And with her being an executive producer, there is no one to reign her in.   

• Love 3

This is going to do the direct opposite of what they are trying to do. They are trying to be more diverse but what they have done is create possibly another racial division. Dwts really sucks in trying to be diverse in the right way. They always pull stuff out of their ass and call it woke. Noone was complaining about the hosts nor asking for the hosts to be more diverse. It was always about bringing on more diversity on the pro side esp. the females since they basically have zero. Of course fans of the show complained about a switchup at the judges table and I couldnt agree more with that but it was never about changing hosts. Like some have said, im sure Tom being very vocal about Sean last season didnt set well with the producers of the show alone with them wanting be more diverse was the some of the main reasons both Tom and Erin got booted.

• Love 7

Well, I guess Tom and Erin are just too white. After being a loyal viewer since season one and never missed an episode, I'm done with this show. Tom was the best part of Dancing With the Stars. They have officially sucked the rest of the life out of this show.

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Well, I guess Tom and Erin are just too white. After being a loyal viewer since season one and never missed an episode, I'm done with this show. Tom was the best part of Dancing With the Stars. They have officially sucked the rest of the life out of this show.

Tom was universally loved by everyone, it was no need for them to fire him for diversity. Im woc and im hurt about this, it was no need for any of that. As I have talked to other poc and we all agree this wasnt the diversity we were asking for but once again dwts lets things go in one ear and out the other.

• Love 16

I've never been a loyal viewer of the show, I've only watched seasons that had celebrities I wanted to watch dance. But in my opinion the voting has been so out of whack for years with people voting for who they like instead of the best dancer, and they started having celebrities that had a dance background of some kind just seemed unfair.  But Tom made the show, I could care less about the judges but Tom is witty and Tyra does not have the sense of humor Tom does so without him this show is going to suffer.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

GMA a bit embarrassing that you can't check your facts before you report on it She is NOT the first African-American host LISA CANNING SEASON 1!!

Sure was the first. They are such idiots.

• Love 2

Yeah Tom and Erin were the only ones that didn't need changing. With this and the way they insured annoying I need attention Hannah won last season along with Having ANOTHER Bachelorette alum ok who's reporteldy on pat or even better than Hannah at dancing im not tuning to see Another Alum from the Bachelor/ette franchise win again 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

As harrible as Piers Morgan was on AGT, Tyra took the cake in her wooden and witless presentation.  I feel sorry for the costumers who will now have to work themselves to a frazzle trying to please HRH Banks.

I agree about Tyra....she was a terrible Host on AGT.....she never seemed empathetic with the contestants & was more interested in coming out on stage like it was a modeling runway.  I just say "Ugh".  

• Love 3

I have nothing against Tyra.  I watched ANTM and she was fine.  I don’t watch AGT so I didn’t see her there. But I’m probably out.

Tom and Erin weren’t the problem, the lessening star power of the celebrity dancers is.  They are going to have to come up with something like an All Oscar Winners season to tempt me to watch again.  Clooney! Bullock! Streep! Affleck!

i have no interest in seeing the random assortment of reality stars we’ve been getting. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Another suggestion: Aisha Tyler, who's not only an Emmy-winning talk-show host, unlike Tyra, she's actually funny.

Yes! She would have been great. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Instead of letting Tyra completely ruin what's left of the show, if TPTB had to pick a person oy color to host, they could've chosen Alfonso Ribiero, Jordan Fisher, Rashad Jennings, Emmett Smith, Hines Ward, Amber Riley, JR Martinez or Jerry Rice, aka people who've actually won-or, in Rice's case, at least came close. Another suggestion: Aisha Tyler, who's not only an Emmy-winning talk-show host, unlike Tyra, she's actually funny.

I love all of these options, but especially love Amber Riley or Aisha Taylor. There's also Laila Ali, Corbin Bleu, Kyle Massey, Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Kristi Yamaguchi, or Zendaya. I also think Kel Mitchell would be fantastic as host, especially after seeing how much he grew as a dancer last season, and how much absolute joy he took in being on the show. They just have SO MANY people they could have picked from in their roster of former contestants, and so many who actually have some kind of hosting experience.

I just cannot believe they picked Tyra Banks to host, after seeing how much she stunk on AGT. With live programs like DWTS and AGT, the host needs to be able to think on their feet, reacting in real time to whatever just happened on stage. Tyra is just not capable of doing that, and I think she'll actually be worse than Brooke Burke-Charvet. 

Tyra wasn't terrible in ANTM's earlier seasons (umm save for that whole ridiculous "We were all rooting for you!" scripted moment) because it's a taped show, so they can do multiple takes until they get it perfect. With her as host and EP, I don't see the show making it to season 30, which is a shame.

2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

While TBH I could take or leave Erin, Tom is irreplaceable

100% agree. And if they needed more diversity, they could have kept Tom and just replaced Erin with a WOC, even if that was Tyra. I honestly don't see how the show will work with only one host. But Queen Tyra surely would not deign to share the stage with someone else. It has to always be about her.

A lot of people are saying Tom is partly out because of how vocal he was about Sean Spicer last season. If that is true, at least he went out for not compromising his morals. I have nothing but respect for that.

I stopped watching DWTS a few years ago, and only came back last season because of The Dawson Factor--only to end up incredibly pissed that the show basically sacrificed him for a lesser dancer. With Tom out and Tyra in, that's it for me and DWTS. I'll just pretend the show ended at season 28.

• Love 9

I dont like them using a black woman for their own twisted way of showing diversity. We can all agree that she should not have replaced Tom and for that very reason she is going to be attacked and brutalized for it, she already is. Black women in general have it the most hard than anyone in this society, were just treated differently and dwts is one show that has showed how badly we can be treated and I for one wish Tyra turned this down or just accepted a cohost position because its just not going to end well.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I also think Kel Mitchell would be fantastic as host, especially after seeing how much he grew as a dancer last season, and how much absolute joy he took in being on the show. 

Awwww, yeah, I would've been good with him :)!

A lot of people are saying Tom is partly out because of how vocal he was about Sean Spicer last season. If that is true, at least he went out for not compromising his morals. I have nothing but respect for that.

Agreed on this, too. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I dont like them using a black woman for their own twisted way of showing diversity. We can all agree that she should not have replaced Tom and for that very reason she is going to be attacked and brutalized for it, she already is. Black women in general have it the most hard than anyone in this society, were just treated differently and dwts is one show that has showed how badly we can be treated and I for one wish Tyra turned this down or just accepted a cohost position because its just not going to end well.

Like most "woke" people, their attention to diversity was a day late and insincere. They should have gotten some people of color for dancers long ago. And they could have treated the POC who were contestants better, particularly the black women. 

You are right, Tyra Banks is going to be blamed for killing the show, no matter how good or bad she is. I already feel sorry for her.

• Love 9
(edited)
20 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Instead of letting Tyra completely ruin what's left of the show, if TPTB had to pick a person of color to host, they could've chosen Alfonso Ribiero, Jordan Fisher, Rashad Jennings, Emmett Smith, Hines Ward, Amber Riley, JR Martinez or Jerry Rice, aka people who've actually won-or, in Rice's case, at least came close. Another suggestion: Aisha Tyler, who's not only an Emmy-winning talk-show host, unlike Tyra, she's actually funny.

I could have gotten behind any of those suggestions, especially because -- as DollEyes pointed out -- they've been on the show and know what it's like, and they're engaging, fun, and/or funny. (I especially love the Aisha Tyler idea. She's fantastic, and so quick-witted.)

Tyra, though? Sadly, not for me. I'm not interested.

Can't believe they got rid of Tom. What a fool move, no matter what costs they needed to cut.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 7/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, LizDC said:

I have nothing against Tyra.  I watched ANTM and she was fine.  I don’t watch AGT so I didn’t see her there. But I’m probably out.

Tom and Erin weren’t the problem, the lessening star power of the celebrity dancers is.  They are going to have to come up with something like an All Oscar Winners season to tempt me to watch again.  Clooney! Bullock! Streep! Affleck!

i have no interest in seeing the random assortment of reality stars we’ve been getting. 

Ditto on Tyra. I think she's fun and feel bad that she has to fill in Tom's shoes, which is impossible. Still feel like I shouldn't watch the show out of loyalty to Tom.

As for the celeb dancers, much as it would be an awesome show with them, DWTS simply doesn't have the budget for the actors you mentioned. DWTS has always been more for folks who have some fame but are trying to get back into the spotlight, trying to further their careers, have been out of work and need a good paying gig, ect. Huge A List movie stars don't get anything out of appearing on DWTS. They don't the money, don't need to promote themselves, and most of them probably wouldn't enjoy the competitive grueling dancing. 

I think there are plenty of celebs who aren't A list stars who would still be fun to watch for me personally. If I had my way, there would be more stars from shows I grew up watching/still watch or older music artists. I'm not into sports, don't listen to country music much, but I know they cast the stars in a way to attract a diverse audience. So overall I don't have too much of a problem with the stars as long as there are a couple I find interesting each season. 

I was a big DWTS fan as someone who enjoys ballroom dance. It was actually my hobby and took up much of my time prior to the pandemic. I'm not sure when it will be safe to dance again, and I yearn for my dance fix more than ever and would have been all over a new season of DWTS. The feel good factor of this show and that it was a program the whole family could watch, and Tom's familiar face along with his warmth and wit made the show that much more special. I never needed a Leonardo DiCaprio or Julia Roberts to appear on DWTS for me to enjoy it. To each his own though. :)

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8

The single worst possible choice they could have made.  Insincere.  Unlikeable.  She CAN be funny in certain circumstances, but only some.

I wrote a big post elsewhere justifying my theory that Niecy Nash should have been asked to host I won't repeat it all here.

• Love 5
On 7/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, boyznkatz said:

I dont like them using a black woman for their own twisted way of showing diversity.

I don't mind the idea that IF Tom was already going (but we all know he was not) that a diverse host choice wasn't a bad idea.  But Tyra isn't the right choice. Witness her AGT season.  She didn't have a tenth of the likeability or effectiveness that Terry Crews managed right after her tenure.  

Tyra worked as Top Model host because the franchise played to her strengths and her image.  But she's a horrible host for any show involving identifying with America's overall tastes, preferences, moods, etc.  Despite the overall racism and sexism of our society there are a number of women of color who do this kind of hosting who'd have stood a chance of being good at it. 

I already mentioned Niecy Nash above, who is not only a show alumnus, but very witty, quick on her feet, and easy to vibe with. 

Now I'm not as big a fan of her, but Tracee Ellis Ross, if they could work out if her sitcom is actually going to be filming or not, has a huge built in ABC audience. 

Raven-Symoné also probably could have done this, and again is already linked into the whole ABC/Disney family. 

Yvette Nicole Brown, who's ALSO currently a Disney employee elsewhere (on a Disney+ show called The Big Fib), is another great choice, with really well proven hosting skills.

These are just off the top of my head and many more surely existed, who are far less abrasive and more grounded choices than Tyra.

Edited by Kromm
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Yvette Nicole Brown, who's ALSO currently a Disney employee elsewhere (on a Disney+ show called The Big Fib), is another great choice, with really well proven hosting skills.

Oooh. Yeah. She would've been a blast :D. 

• Love 10

There are plenty of men they could have chosen as well. I would have really liked JR Martinez.

They really keep making the same mistakes over and over. Instead of getting rid of Tom, they could kick out contemporary and jazz from their lineup. Oh, and they could stop their obsession with criminals.

While I will miss Tom, Tyra doesn't bother me one way or another. They have far bigger problems than her.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

There are plenty of men they could have chosen as well. I would have really liked JR Martinez.

Sure. My point was simply that going with a black woman didn't have to be a barrier to a great hire. Literally off the top of my head I came up with four black women who could have killed it, in my opinion.  

The pure mechanics of hosting, Tyra knows, although I don't for a second think she's good enough LIVE to really be a good host, even if I didn't also find her extremely unlikeable.  That's why a comedian (Niecy) was my top choice above the others.  Tom B. wasn't a comedian but had just as quick a wit live.  The show needs that.  Tyra CAN be funny, but it's typically scripted.  I saw her TRY to do live on AGT, and it certainly didn't show any evidence of her being that way live.

And yes, they do have much bigger problems. Criminals indeed. As I've said elsewhere, it's not even the criminal status of someone like Baskin who hasn't even been charged.  It's the statement by hiring her that it's okay to leverage someone being a suspected murderer just to draw in viewers.  Heck, if that's your sick priority, go ahead and hire not-convicted of murder OJ Simpson. Geez.  If they need names that draw people in, work harder and don't just rely on notoriety.  

Heck, if they wanted to leverage Tiger King, while Baskin is indeed the biggest name not currently IN prison, go a little smaller with someone less scummy and ask John Reinke.  Reinke is the one with artificial legs.  It's a least possible he did stuff behind the scenes like help Joe dispose of Tiger bodies, but there isn't that much bad about him out there.  

YES, I know handicapped casting is another questionable stunt this show pulls, but at least they would have gotten the bang of two for one (Tiger King specific bump plus handicapped dancer bump).

• Love 6

ABC is doing the same thing with DWTS as they did with The Bachelor/Bachelorette.  Drive the franchise in their preferred direction, pretending to be inclusive, but never getting anywhere close until they're forced into it.  Case in point, the first black Bachelor, Matt whoever has been appointed.  Not a previous contestant or anybody we've seen before, though he was on the list for the current season of The Bachelorette.  But he's not competing for Clare, has never competed for anybody, he just has a decent social media following, he's young and some women find him attractive.  Oh, and he's black. 

And sadly, just like with the Bachelor franchise, ABC & Disney don't care if you watch, they don't care if you like Tyra and they don't care that we all hate Tom not being there.  Their cash cow will pump for them regardless.  The sponsors will pay up, the ads will be as annoying as ever and people will still watch.  Maybe hate-watch, maybe just out of curiosity, but enough will still watch.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

I kept waiting to see Tyra step out of a giant fashion doll box, on the edge of the stage.  Anybody that watched ANTM remembers the challenge when the contestants were basically made up into giant Barbie dolls and kept in boxes until called.  That's how Tyra looked and sounded to me through the entire show.  

That huge Ru-Paul wannabe dress, overdone hair extensions and stomp-the-runway entrance are hopefully over.  This is not "POSE", Tyra!  

She can do this and not make us hate her if she just dials back all the fake and OTT schtick. 

We're actually rooting for you, so don't make us regret it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m not actually rooting for her...they should never have fired Tom.  She didn’t have any witty comments and her delivery of her scripted lines (you could practically see her reading off the teleprompter) was awful.

• Love 8

I am watching the episode on Hulu now and I hate Tyra. Talking over the judges, acting like she's another judge and giving her opinion--NOBODY CARES, TYRA.

The only nice thing I can say is that she's vastly improved her live TV hosting skills since AGT.

God I miss Tom so much.

Edit: OMG right around the show's  54 minute mark they come back from commercial and she says "Hey, you" all seductively, the way I'd say it to a guy I'm flirting with. You have got to be effing kidding me.

Edited by dvr devotee
because it only got worse from there
  • Love 4

I just wish she be herself. Its like she has no personality of her own and that is weird to me. Everything felt scripted last night with her and I get she may be nervous and preferred this method but I do feel she became more comfortable in second hour of the show but yeah she just needs to warm up more.

• Love 1

Tyra was very stiff and uncomfortable her first couple of Top Model cycles, but became more natural over time.  Probably as her familiarity with the people and the dance terminology grows, she'll get better. 

I still hate she's there, but that's inconsequential.  She'll be there as long as ABC wants her, so I just tune her out for now. 

No biggie, it's about the dancing.  Tom was just a delightful addition that we were lucky to have for as long as we did.  

• Love 1
On 7/15/2020 at 12:10 PM, nickp1991 said:

GMA a bit embarrassing that you can't check your facts before you report on it She is NOT the first African-American host LISA CANNING SEASON 1!!

Hey 1991 called they want their thunder cats undies back!

On 9/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, leighdear said:

Tyra was very stiff and uncomfortable her first couple of Top Model cycles, but became more natural over time. 

"Tyra" and "natural."    Hmmmm....

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, leighdear said:

We're actually rooting for you, so don't make us regret it!

Not all of us...please, goddesses, NOT ALL OF US !!!

Since Tyra is now the Executive Producer, she's not likely to fire the worst cast member on the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, LizDC said:

As the show is on a downhill trend, so are the "stars" they're able to attract.

So far, Tyra is worse than any of these "D" list competitors.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I've never been a loyal viewer of the show, I've only watched seasons that had celebrities I wanted to watch dance. But in my opinion the voting has been so out of whack for years with people voting for who they like instead of the best dancer, and they started having celebrities that had a dance background of some kind just seemed unfair.  But Tom made the show, I could care less about the judges but Tom is witty and Tyra does not have the sense of humor Tom does so without him this show is going to suffer.  

And not even always "who they like," but some Bozo who has an incredible social-media presence.  I'm talkin' about Billy Bones who won and STILL cannot dance.  That was another producer-driven-insider fiasco.

Tyra also has 50% of Tom's IQ and NO showbiz-cultural-sports references Tom has on the tip of his tongue.  HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?  Are old White men making decisions they think will encourage Black viewers?  Wrong...so wrong.

Yep...this show SUFFERED the moment "a model" pranced out on the dance floor.  I think this is DWTS last season.  They'll blame COVID; but WE will blame TYRA!!!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3
On 7/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, sue450 said:

Tom is 65 so I think ageism also played into this  as well...really going to miss him

• Bruno is 65 ... Beware, Bruno!
  • Len is 76, so I guess that was the reason for the buh-bye.