Type keyword(s) to search

Tyra Banks: Smizin on the Dance Floor

• Start Topic

I saw like 30 seconds of the 80’s show when Tyra posed and then pranced on the stage. I was at my mom’s last week. Mom and her good friend were loyal viewers. They watched even when they didn’t know the majority of the “stars”. They watched maybe 1 to 2 episodes this year; neither cared for Tyra one bit, said the show was ruined for them. They had no idea who Tyra was, no advance ideas or preconceived likes or dislikes of her. Both thought she made it too much about herself instead of the dancing. I couldn’t even callMom in prior years when the show was on air. She turned the channel, so that’s why I saw only maybe 30 seconds. If this is any indication, they have turned off loyal viewers. I think the show has jumped the shark.

• Love 3

Gaaaahhhh!!!  So, I was sad Erin and, especially Tom, got the axe.  They were the best part of the show.  I at least had some hope for Tyra.  I found her a bit self-absorbed on ANTM, but I actually liked her on AGT.  This past summer, my guilty pleasure was Celebrity Watch Party and Tyra and her mom were a lot of fun in their bits, in my opinon.  Then, the DWTS episodes started.  The first one was a disaster.  I thought she was stiff and her banter was just weird and recycled.  I had hopes she'd come into her own on subsequent episodes.  NOPE!  I absolutely HATE how they will cut the judges' commentary off so she can inanely try to make the contestants talk about their feelings.  It is SO bad!!

I have decided to turn this into a drinking game -- and I don't really drink!  Take a shot every time:

• Tyra asked how something or someone felt
  • Tyra tells people they can go relax
  • Tyra tries to get a breathless celebrity to give a soliliquy
  • Derek Hough says, "I see you!" (Though someone must've alerted him to his overuse of that phrase, because I don't think he used it at all last night.)
  • Carrie Ann gets emotional over a contemporary dance
  • Bruno gets out of his chair

We will all be schnockered by the end of hour 1!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/20/2020 at 3:25 PM, Cowgirl said:

I at least had some hope for Tyra. 

I don't know if mine is the minority opinion...but here it is.    I've NEVER had hope for Tyra.  

I found her a bit self-absorbed on ANTM, but I actually liked her on AGT.

Saw very few of ANTM, but I was proud that Tyra created that show (I hope the publicity is correct).  Apparently that success allows her to meet with TV execs of all sorts...and she gets job after job.   She was the same ME-ME-ME on America's Got Talent, but unless she owned a piece of that show (too), one must blame the producers for all the unnecessary camera time they gave her.

Celebrity Watch Party and Tyra and her mom were a lot of fun in their bits,

Maybe the mom was...

Then, the DWTS episodes started.  The first one was a disaster.  I thought she was stiff and her banter was just weird and recycled.  I had hopes she'd come into her own on subsequent episodes.  NOPE!  I absolutely HATE how they will cut the judges' commentary off so she can inanely try to make the contestants talk about their feelings.  It is SO bad!!

HOORAY!  Vindication.   It was (and still is) heartbreaking to lose Tom...and then he's replaced with THIS???

If this show recovers, will it be "Tyra Banks Presents Dancing with her Favorite Stars" next season??  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Because nobody asked for it.... nobody... 'DWTS' Host Tyra Banks Reveals Her Ballroom Fashion Rules.

Have a nice laugh at her expense...  I will give her a lot of credit for talking honestly about her body.  That's a huge plus.  It's just the inane focus on these many clothing changes, and her stupid posing, and the implication they bring so much value to the show that's laughable.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Ugh, I remember Tyra's teaser ads promised BIG changes. Big!  So the changes are, no audience, no Tom or Erin, cutting the judges' commentary off for inane questions, like "How do you feel?" and having Len talk a bit about each dance (The last one I appreciate. I missed the first few seasons and would like to know more rules about how each dance should be done.), and...?  These are not changes for the better.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Ugh, I remember Tyra's teaser ads promised BIG changes. Big!  So the changes are, no audience, no Tom or Erin, cutting the judges' commentary off for inane questions, like "How do you feel?" and having Len talk a bit about each dance (The last one I appreciate. I missed the first few seasons and would like to know more rules about how each dance should be done.), and...?  These are not changes for the better.  

You forgot costume changes.  She thinks we want to see two or three costume changes.  Not!!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Let's not forget that she insists that she get introduced and then pretends she is still a model and struts on stage and down the stars.  ugh

1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

You forgot costume changes.  She thinks we want to see two or three costume changes.  Not!!

You're both right -- how could I forget those?!   For the record, I'm also sick to death of her attempt to make her voice dramatic.  Yeah, don't be lifeless, but it's getting to be too much.  Just be happy and fun. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

You're both right -- how could I forget those?!   For the record, I'm also sick to death of her attempt to make her voice dramatic.  Yeah, don't be lifeless, but it's getting to be too much.  Just be happy and fun. 

Yes, I hate that dramatic voice.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

and her valley girl voice and her ghetto voice and her childish voice and so on and so on...

It's still a mystery how Tyra could walk into a meeting with network execs and make a compelling case that she'd bring something fresh to the franchise. It only fits if "fresh" actually means "stupid sht she's been doing elsewhere for decades". 

• Love 10

Ok, I’ve given it all season and I loathe Tyra as host just as much if not more than the first show.  She is the worst fit for this show and her manner of speaking, attention-getting, poor use of time, overly dramatic, look-at-me-fashions, malaprops — I could go on and on — make her a terrible host.  With her as an Exec Producer, is there any HOPE she would be fired after one season?  Please make that happen.  I have enjoyed the dancers and judges this season very much, despite Tyra.  

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Ok, I’ve given it all season and I loathe Tyra as host just as much if not more than the first show.  She is the worst fit for this show and her manner of speaking, attention-getting, poor use of time, overly dramatic, look-at-me-fashions, malaprops — I could go on and on — make her a terrible host.  With her as an Exec Producer, is there any HOPE she would be fired after one season?  Please make that happen.  I have enjoyed the dancers and judges this season very much, despite Tyra.  

Tonight's outfits were just crazy & over-the-top!  But, I guess thats the point.  

• Love 3
On 11/1/2021 at 9:12 PM, Pinksand said:

Why is Tyra Banks wearing idiotic clothes?  Her clothes on the show does not compliment her. It’s very gaudy and childish.  Who is her designer?

Obviously, SHE is!  She seems to be in charge of everything/everyone on this pathetic show.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, Pinksand said:

Why is Tyra Banks wearing idiotic clothes?  Her clothes on the show does not compliment her. It’s very gaudy and childish.  Who is her designer?  Poor clothes choices!

She's violating one of fashion's basic rules:  Those clothes are wearing her, not the other way around.

• Love 3

My first foray into reality TV Was watching American’s Next Top Model when I was working on my doctoral dissertation and needed to shut my brain off at night. (Sadly, this turning my brain off lead to my addiction to the real housewives franchise - but I digress).

The first few seasons of ANTM were great, because it was about the contestants and their dreams. Also, it was kind of a forerunner into this genre of TV.

On a rewatch of the series (well more of a listen as it was on in the background) it was about cycle 4-5 when Tyra make it all about herself or when she interjected herself into every story line.

I really like the “original” Tyra in those first seasons, but she has made everything since then about herself and her ego - yikes, that’s been going on for 12-15 years when everything has been about herself.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

My first foray into reality TV Was watching American’s Next Top Model when I was working on my doctoral dissertation and needed to shut my brain off at night. (Sadly, this turning my brain off lead to my addiction to the real housewives franchise - but I digress).

The first few seasons of ANTM were great, because it was about the contestants and their dreams. Also, it was kind of a forerunner into this genre of TV.

On a rewatch of the series (well more of a listen as it was on in the background) it was about cycle 4-5 when Tyra make it all about herself or when she interjected herself into every story line.

I really like the “original” Tyra in those first seasons, but she has made everything since then about herself and her ego - yikes, that’s been going on for 12-15 years when everything has been about herself.

I confess to having watched that show as well.  At the beginning it seemed like a sincere attempt to find potential star models and to mentor them; it also seemed like Tyra really cared about those girls.

By the later episodes it turned into the worst kind of reality show, where the judges were cruel and laughed at the girls, and the modeling assignments were designed to show the models at their worst and to humiliate them.  It was just sickening what the show turned into.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2021 at 5:03 PM, Stats Queen said:

Sadly, this turning my brain off lead to my addiction to the real housewives franchise - but I digress)

It must have been Eva. Beautiful girl...and that picture with the spider on her face still gets shown.

Granted we don’t want a PBS style dance show, but there should be an elegance on DWTS. Think “Ballroom”. That’s just not the place for outrageous shenanigans. Tyra is loud, brash, foolishly dressed, inarticulate and humorless. Did I forget anything??? 

Tom brought a soothing style and casual elegance. His low key humor was perfect. He handled missteps with ease and care. He was grounded in his role and had a suave sophistication that elevated the popularity contest more toward ballroom competition. He had the perfect combination. 

ME! ME! ME! Tyra is just a lot of annoying stimulation this show doesn’t need. I’ve never watched her on any other show so I’m not biased. She’s just jarring. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, MissPriss said:

Tyra is loud, brash, foolishly dressed, inarticulate and humorless. Did I forget anything??? 

• Self-absorbed
  • Overrated (and WHO is doing these ratings?)
  • Entitled/Self-Entitled
  • Irritating MOST of us
  • A MEAN GIRL in disguise

Did I forget anything?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:
  • Self-absorbed
  • Overrated (and WHO is doing these ratings?)
  • Entitled/Self-Entitled
  • Irritating MOST of us
  • A MEAN GIRL in disguise

Did I forget anything?

Can’t read the room?

Maybe can’t read or totally ignores a teleprompter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 11/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, MissPriss said:

Granted we don’t want a PBS style dance show, but there should be an elegance on DWTS. Think “Ballroom”. That’s just not the place for outrageous shenanigans. Tyra is loud, brash, foolishly dressed, inarticulate and humorless. Did I forget anything??? 

Tom brought a soothing style and casual elegance. His low key humor was perfect. He handled missteps with ease and care. He was grounded in his role and had a suave sophistication that elevated the popularity contest more toward ballroom competition. He had the perfect combination. 

ME! ME! ME! Tyra is just a lot of annoying stimulation this show doesn’t need. I’ve never watched her on any other show so I’m not biased. She’s just jarring. 

I watched Tyra on the first few seasons of America's Top Model since my daughters watched that show.  I thought she was fine there and seemed to want to help the potential models.  Reading previous comments on this forum, I guessed the show changed later on which is sad.

My favorite part about Tom was that he was so witty.  He really did handle missteps well.  I think he also really cared about the other pros, judges, etc.  They were like family.

I watch Masked Singer even though the show is tacky, silly, loud, etc.  With Tyra in the helm, I hope DWTS doesn't go further down that route.  It seems like it's already heading there.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, treeofdreams said:

"DWTS’ Tyra Banks may NOT return as host next season as execs hunt A-List celebrity to replace her amid ratings plummet"

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/4187531/dwts-tyra-banks-may-not-return-host-next-season/

That story is very confusingly written. I read it to mean they are looking for one or more A-List celebrity contestants. Separately, some insiders think Banks might not return.

A little off-topic, but may I suggest the Pod Ledom podcast? It’s an episode-by-episode recap of America’s Next Top Model, and it covers Tyra’s self-absorption in hilarious detail. 

• Useful 2
On 11/26/2021 at 7:34 PM, legaleagle53 said:
On 11/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, MissPriss said:

Granted we don’t want a PBS style dance show

Says who? I, for one, would welcome it!

• Professional instructors/leaders
  • Professional costumes
  • Professional judging
  • Professional host who doesn't require 24/7 adulation and 13 costume changes
  • Professional BEHAVIOR

Put me on the Welcome Committee too!

• Love 8

From THE SUN article posted above:    The source claimed senior executives within the BBC Studios LA have been tasked with finding "at least one or ideally two major household names that fascinate fans.”  Their brief is to "think big" and lure "an Oscar, Emmy or Grammy winning star, who will make headlines on and off screen."

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I suggest The Stars of the Hour (well...last week's stars),  Mr. and Mrs. Jada Pinkett Smith.

• LOL 8

WHY can't those dweebs who rise to the positions of Executive Producer* realize that WE POSTERS and MOST VIEWERS tell them what we like and DISLIKE about the television shows they bring us?  From the moment Tyra SMIZED-STRODE on the DWTS dancefloor, there were cries and outcries from the public.  No one liked her...but her fellow executive producers.  We know what we like.  We also know YOU DON'T CARE what we like!

*Of which Tyra WAS one.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:
On 4/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, Back Atcha said:

There is NO WAY it would be worse.  NO!  WAY!

As alumni, Bobby Bones or Sean Spicer?  I should probably not put these out in the Universe.

OMG...I had completely forgotten.   And wasn't there some fakery and BBones won?  THEN he was some "mentor" on American Idol.  I just mentioned him to one of my kids ... HAHA...my "kids" are in their 50s.   I still wonder just WHO he is and who he blew...knew to get all this attention.  What were his credentials again?