Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Wildcat

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

THE FIRST RECRUIT — After realizing that she needs the extra help, Courtney sets out to recruit new members to the Justice Society of America -- starting with Yolanda. Elsewhere, Pat’s suspicion is piqued after a bizarre conversation with one of the town’s residents.

Not sure where the magic suit came from (if the sparkles had been pink I would have thought the Thunderbolt), but it was great seeing Yolanda allow herself to come alive again. And she prays! I don't remember seeing many human regulars being seen to have a spiritual life on the CW shows.

• Love 3

Oh man.  Poor Yolanda.  😢  And I actually almost feel a little sorry for Henry Jr, except wasn’t he the guy harassing her in the premiere?  And if he hadn’t been showing his buddies the pics, Cindy wouldn’t have gotten them.  

It was a good episode for backstory on Yolanda, and I felt so bad for her watching her face fall as she realized her parents weren’t going to forgive her.  But on the other hand, it felt like it was missing something without the Courtney/Pat teamup from the last few episodes.  These kids badly need a trainer.  All their flailing around is only going to get them so far.  How long before Pat finds out about Courtney’s recruitment drive?  I’m assuming Beth is next since she saw them outside the hospital.

That ending though.  I’m guessing Denise is dead then? Take her kitty home, Pat! (It looks like one of mine.) 

• Love 5

As usual....decent episode lol. I wish they'd use these type of episodes to do flashbacks to the JSAers that are being replaced. I rather learn about Wildcat through flashbacks than a wikipedia page.

I like that Wildcat basically had a supersuit that granted him extra abilities to build upon his fighting skills. Yolanda also being a boxer was a bit contrived...they probably could've made her a his niece or something and had them bond over that to make it flow more naturally but whatever.

I enjoyed the hospital scene with Stargirl being so naive and not thinking things through to the point that she didnt think about the consequences of turning off the power to a hospital. It felt like such a dumb teenager thing to do if they were in that situation that it felt very real.

The actress who plays Yolanda is apparently 27 which is weird since everyone else is so much younger but I like the actress.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I enjoyed the hospital scene with Stargirl being so naive and not thinking things through to the point that she didnt think about the consequences of turning off the power to a hospital. It felt like such a dumb teenager thing to do if they were in that situation that it felt very real.

Yeah that was good.  “How long have you been doing this?” “Oh about a week.” “Why am I listening to you?!?”

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

This was a lot more fun than I expected. I actually loved the deep dive into Wikipedia because that's what teenagers would do. And I notice that the somewhat 'time-less' world-building is slowly shifting to a more present day setting. The pilot episodes needed only tiny tweaks to work in the 70's or 80s. I think it was clever to ease into the present like that.

And although both Wildcat and Cosmic  Saff were right to call Courtney out on her dumbass idea - hospitals do have emergency generators. But the whole 'let's figure this out as we go along' approach was hilarious and fun. Less hilarious and sadly relevant was Yolanda's backstory.

Can't wait to see what will happen to Beth (rats, had to google her name and got spoiled). Don't want to happen the same with the pink giggling pen so I'll just call it pink giggling pen and wait!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

This was a lot more fun than I expected. I actually loved the deep dive into Wikipedia because that's what teenagers would do. And I notice that the somewhat that the world-building is slowly shifting to a more present day setting. The pilot episodes needed only tiny tweaks to work in the 70's or 80s. I think it was clever to ease into the present like that.

And although both Wildcat and Cosmic  Saff were right to call Courtney out on her dumbass idea - hospitals do have emergency generators. But the whole 'let's figure this out as we go along' approach was hilarious and fun. Less hilarious and sadly relevant was Yolanda's backstory.

Can't wait to see what will happen to Beth (rats, had to google her name and got spoiled). Don't want to happen the same with the pink giggling pen so I'll just call it pink giggling pen and wait!

Mike's friend Jakeem is related to Jenny who is Cindy's sidekick ( they are both in the books) . Cindy's big drop is also coming seeing as who her dad is

23 minutes ago, Humbugged said:

Mike's friend Jakeem is related to Jenny who is Cindy's sidekick ( they are both in the books) . Cindy's big drop is also coming seeing as who her dad is

No kidding and we are seeing more of who Cindy is as a person, which really builds her up more. 

Once again, the casting in this show is just perfect.

At least Yolanda's got a good brother.  Her parents may be assholes, but her brother defends her.  How can you not feel bad for her?

Henry looked not thrilled at was happening to Yolanda.  Everybody else was laughing, but he didn't look happy.  So, he's got some depths.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Her parents may be assholes

I'm willing to cut the parents a little slack. (Just a little). First(maybe second) generation immigrants in small-town Nebraska? Respectability politics is bound to rear its ugly head.

I too enjoyed Courtney's floundering. She's fifteen and has been at this a week. ("Why am I listening to you?")

• Love 1
(edited)

Damn, that opening act was brutal to watch, because it was obvious which direction it was heading in, and it was just not going to end well.  Poor Yolanda.  Not only does she have her heart broken by a guy she thought she could trust, but she is not only slut-shamed by the school for it, even her own parents (and grandmother, I think) turn on her.  At least her younger brother seemed to be supportive, but she really did have everyone against her until Courtney arrived.  Obviously, like most shows that address topical social issues, it was on the nose, but I thought it mainly worked.

I was confused over Henry Jr.'s reaction to everything.  It seemed clear that he was showing her nude photo to his friends and stuff, but he seemed legitimately shocked and upset over the leak.  So, did he never attend for it to happen and this Cindy character somehow got ahold of it herself?  And he's now apparently dating Cindy, right?  Speaking of which, Cindy is so going to be a problem, right?

The "Stargirl/Wildcat" team-up was fun, and I'm glad Courtney and Yolanda are becoming friends now.  Brec Bassinger and Yvette Monreal worked well together.  Also liked that the Cosmic Staff was more involved this time.  But, yeah, Courtney really is going to have to learn to plan things out better.  Good thing both the Staff and Yolanda were around to stop her from shutting off the power.  In a freaking hospital.  And if you want to have your new partner test off her skills, maybe find something that isn't a toaster that your Pop-tart loving stepbrother uses frequently.  And you just know that leaving the magical pink pen out in the opening is going to come into play!

I guess the car in the junkyard means that The Wizard's wife got taken out too?  That sucks.  At least they apparently spared the cat, so the Injustice League isn't that evil!

Speaking of which, we now are introduced to this Dr. Ito character, whose biggest takeaway is that even Jordan/Icicle seemed hesitant and nervous around him, so that is certainly comforting!

Poor Pat: no one appreciates his cooking skills!  I would love to have someone make me eggs in the morning.  Luke Wilson is still killing it.

Can't wait for a) Courtney to recruit more members (especially Beth, who really does need to learn to extend her social life out of her parents) and b) Pat to eventually find out all about it and realize that he's gone from his stepdaughter superheroing in her spare time, to a whole gang of teenagers getting their superheroing on!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7
(edited)

"Why am I listening to you?" was the best question tonight from Yolanda!

Wasn't clear how the mean girl got the picture. It would have been better to see a scene of Henry passing the picture to her and understand his motivation. Henry gave the impression he was pissed at mean girl for grabbing his phone. Did the mean girl have scandalous pics of him and threaten him?  

It's a shame there are a bunch of "Vote for Yolanda" t-shirts and buttons just wasting away in the attic. Surprised Yolanda still has a room and is not living in the basement. Parents turned on her quick!

Courtney is way too trusting/naïve to just pick Yolanda from a yearbook, then reveal her identity and JSA history. For all she know, Yolanda could have taken the suit and started a life of crime or still hold anger and try to murder a kid in the hospital.

Ceiling tile was strong enough to hold Yolanda's weight.

Where was the nurse to tell the principal to stop the violin noise and ask her to leave?

Good job Stargirl for breaking one of the top rules by saying "Yolanda" instead of Wildcat in public for Beth and maybe other patients to hear.

Seem like the mother should have had that conversation with Beth a long time ago.

So far, every time we see Pat makes breakfast.. no one eats.

How many Pop Tarts can Mike eat in one day?

It's night time and Stargirl is trying to hide with a glowing staff.

Last week, Icicle was a menace/aggressor killing the Wizard and his son. This week, we are introduced to Doctor Ito and he has Icicle shivering a little. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

Yolanda: Hello. I am Yolanda . . . a bright girl that made one mistake. Today, I am slut-shamed on a daily basis, looked down upon by the beret-wearing extras from Mean Girls, and I am grounded until the Pope converts to another religion. Two weeks after that, I get to go out. Maybe

Courtney: Hi, I-

Yolanda: I don't like you.

Courtney: But I have this-

Yolanda: The hell is wrong with you? I want to be alon-

Courtney: I blew up Henry's car! Sorta. By accident.

Yolanda: You have my skeptical attention.

(later, in Courtney's bedroom)

Yolanda: Holy-! This Wildcat suit shrunk to fit my female body!

Courtney: Dammit!

Yolanda: What's wrong?

Courtney: You hear about how the sewing machines in Home Ec got wrecked?

Yolanda: That was you?

Courtney: Apparently, the suit that my dad used-

Pat: (feeling the need to facepalm even though he's nowhere near his stepdaughter)

Courtney: -didn't have whatever magic that costume did!

Yolanda: Awesome. I am ready to take a lot of risks now!

(one break-in and near murder of an ex later)

Yolanda: I made a mistake. I trusted the wrong person, and I take responsibility for that. Can we please go back to the way things were?

(awkward silence)

Mother: You disgraced our family.

Father: If nunneries were still a thing . . .

Yolanda: Right, right. Season finale. I'll just go to my room, pout, then find the magic suit my new blonde bestie gave me.

Painful episode, and it's from James Robinson, who wrote Starman for DC Comics and co-created the Cosmic Staff that Courtney uses . . . but it's a good episode. Of course, Courtney still has a shitload of dangerous items stuffed in a duffel bag, and that's nine kinds of wrong . . . but if we're going to lean into that trope, why not go full-on?

Everything else felt like background noise. I guess Mrs. Wizard got killed? Also: is there a shot of the Injustice Society available? I think I might have seen one of Robinson's most-used characters in there.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I was confused over Henry Jr.'s reaction to everything.  It seemed clear that he was showing her nude photo to his friends and stuff, but he seemed legitimately shocked and upset over the leak.  So, did he never attend for it to happen and this Cindy character somehow got ahold of it herself?  And he's now apparently dating Cindy, right?  Speaking of which, Cindy is so going to be a problem, right?

29 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Wasn't clear how the mean girl got the picture. It would have been better to see a scene of Henry passing the picture to her and understand his motivation.

Is the mean girl a super villain? 

34 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of which, we now are introduced to this Dr. Ito character, whose biggest takeaway is that even Jordan/Icicle seemed hesitant and nervous around him, so that is certainly comforting!

Dr. Ito had cat-eyes. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

The "Stargirl/Wildcat" team-up was fun, and I'm glad Courtney and Yolanda are becoming friends now.  Brec Bassinger and Yvette Monreal worked well together.  Also liked that the Cosmic Staff was more involved this time.  But, yeah, Courtney really is going to have to learn to plan things out better.  Good thing both the Staff and Yolanda were around to stop her from shutting off the power.  In a freaking hospital.  And if you want to have your new partner test off her skills, maybe find something that isn't a toaster that your Pop-tart loving stepbrothers uses frequently.  And you just know that leaving the magical pink pen out in the opening is going to come into play!

It seemed to me that he was showing the pic to his friends and Cindy texted it to herself when she grabbed the phone.

Can't wait for a) Courtney to recruit more members (especially Beth, who really does need to learn to extend her social life out of her parents) and b) Pat to eventually find out all about it and realize that he's gone from his stepdaughter superheroing in her spare time, to a whole gang of teenagers getting their superheroing on!

Yeah, I caught secondhand embarrassment when she called her parents her best friends and her mom had to shut that down.

There'll be plenty of time for that when you turn 40, Beth!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

It seemed to me that he was showing the pic to his friends and Cindy texted it to herself when she grabbed the phone.

I am not tech savvy. Can a person send a picture that fast? Seems mean girl had the phone in her hand for 3 seconds.

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is the mean girl a super villain? 

Official title:  Super Villain in Training. 

• LOL 1
35 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Yes, this was what I thought happened.  He shouldn’t have been showing the pic to his friends anyway so I am not inclined to give him a great deal of credit (especially with how he was harassing Yolanda in the premiere), but I really don’t think he gave it to Cindy intentionally. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I guess the car in the junkyard means that The Wizard's wife got taken out too?  That sucks.  At least they apparently spared the cat, so the Injustice League isn't that evil!

Or it means the cat is evil, killed the Wizard's wife, and will take the Wizard's place as a member of the Injustice Society.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Dr. Ito had cat-eyes. 

Or... dragon eyes...

I enjoyed this episode. I think they could do a better job with Wildcat's costume (even after the magical makeover, it looked a little awkward), but I liked the relationship that developed here.

I am having a little bit of trouble reconciling the tone of the show. On the one hand, we have some of this wide-eyed, relatively light-hearted coming of age story that is fun to watch.

On the other hand, we have this increasingly dark tale of mayhem, murder, and possible genocide that is our super-villainy realm and the two just seem like too much of a contrast for a comfortable fit.

I'm also unclear on what the status of the JSA and ISA is in this world. Courtney knew who Starman was in the pilot, and there is a Wikipedia entry on Wildcat. Yet Yolanda- who appears to have grown up in Blue Valley- has no idea who any of these people are, and even Courtney was unfamiliar with the ISA and its members until Pat filled her in.

• Love 2

The show seemed to already be on for about a minute before my DVR started to record, I wonder how that happened and hope it doesn't happen again.

The boyfriend was showing his friends the picture in the morning and by the time of the assembly, Evil Girl had it. I was really expecting the picture to show up on the big screen TV behind her. Who has the phone numbers of every single student in school? Why wasn't the Evil Girl up on stage, wasn't she also running for the same school position? I am surprised that everybody in school would turn against Yolanda, especially the boys and the girls that don't like the Evil Girl.

• Love 1

I liked this one enough to rewatch the CW version. Yes, I definitely think Henry feels bad about what happened, and I'm glad Yolanda held back instead of using her new superhero powers for murder. I'm wondering if he's going to turn on the IS at the end of the season.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Dr. Ito had cat-eyes. 

Or... dragon eyes...

Possibly, but maybe the black cat let itself out of the cage in the Wizard's wife's crashed car and is really Dr. Ito?

I am having a little bit of trouble reconciling the tone of the show. On the one hand, we have some of this wide-eyed, relatively light-hearted coming of age story that is fun to watch.

On the other hand, we have this increasingly dark tale of mayhem, murder, and possible genocide that is our super-villainy realm and the two just seem like too much of a contrast for a comfortable fit.

Yes. Exactly. When they killed off the sweet young wannabe magician, I was really taken aback. But with this episode continuing in the same vein, I guess that mix of fun and mayhem is the tone of the show. Much like life, right?

I'm also unclear on what the status of the JSA and ISA is in this world. Courtney knew who Starman was in the pilot, and there is a Wikipedia entry on Wildcat. Yet Yolanda- who appears to have grown up in Blue Valley- has no idea who any of these people are, and even Courtney was unfamiliar with the ISA and its members until Pat filled her in.

Maybe they were trying to walk back the idea that "everyone" knows about the superheroes and villains? It would not surprise me that a first-generation family would not be familiar with parts of U.S. culture and history that are not currently relevant. Maybe they will walk it back further and have it be only something that a subset of nerds are familiar with?

• Love 1

I have to day that was well done. As a high school teacher, I have seen first hand girls and yes guys do something like Yolanda and then go from the talk of the school to completely shamed to nothing. A few years ago, had a guy who decided to take a picture for his girlfriend and the younger sister who was jealous took her phone and then shared it through Snap Chat to her friends and everything just went to hell for both of them. They broke up, girls were hitting on him because of the picture and the girlfriend was was the butt of jokes about putting out until she graduated. Of course with Yolanda's family, outside of the brother who lives in this type of world is going to shame her. A little too much, especially the grandmother who be: "In my day, we didn't do that crap, or at least no where people would see you in any shape or form." 

Great use of Dragon King and even that Icicle is creeped out by him a lot, but man talk about completely throwing out The Wizard's family. Though I am happy that Pat knows something is going on with the higher ups in town. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Its fun seeing Courtney kind of flailing about trying to be a superhero, when she is clearly just making things up as she goes. I mean, turning off the power at a hospital?! Thank God the staff and Yolanda were there to point out the tiny flaw in that plan. She and Yolanda ARE just teenagers after all, and with Pat trying to discourage her superheroing, they are kind of on their own, until Pat realizes that Courtney has been recruiting and that he has to help out. 

In the future Courtney should probably be more careful about who she tells her secrets to, but I liked the backstory for Yolanda and the growing friendship between her and Courtney. The opening was really sad knowing that all of this was going to come crumbling down. Screw Yolanda's family except for her brother, who still seems to be standing up for her, who turned on her and froze her out when she needs their support the most. Interesting that Henry Jr didn't actually spread the picture, and didn't look happy that mean girl Cindy did, but he has apparently never told Yolanda that he didn't spread the picture. He showed some buddies, which isn't great, but he never actually spread it around to the whole school, and he looked upset when everyone was laughing at her, but also apparently dumped her to date the girl who started all of this. 

The Fiddler arrives to...fiddle! 

Yolanda and Courtney figuring out Yolanda's powers visa vi Wikipedia was hilarious, it really seems like something that someone, especially a teenager, would use to figure out powers they dont understand yet. I continue to be curious about how common superheroes are on this Earth, and how much people know about them. The world as been JSAless for years and Yolanda didn't know who Starman was, but they arent a secret, considering they have a massive hall of justice and a details Wiki page.

The more Courtney gushes about how her dad was Starman, the more she is going to be hurt when she inevitably finds out thats not the case. 

Ouch, so they took out the Wizards poor wife now?! I am still hoping that she escaped somehow and will come back near the end, ready to melt Icicle for killing her family. At least they didn't kill the cat, now take the kitty home Pat!

Beth really needs to get out more, its never a good sign when your parents are your best friends, especially as a teenager, but you arent theres, so much that they tell you to back off. 

The new bad guy is so creepy, he even creeps out Icicle, which is next level creepy! I cant wait to see the whole surviving Injustice League together again.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Beth really needs to get out more, its never a good sign when your parents are your best friends, especially as a teenager, but you arent theres, so much that they tell you to back off. 

It's funny, that in the original comic, Beth's mother was EXTREMELY close and her father was pretty good too. I am looking forward to getting more of why Beth is SO FOR HER parents instead of other kids at school. I mean at that point in your life, you think she have more of a circle of friends. She is more of an outcast BECAUSE she is so buddy/buddy with her parents, which they are getting tired of too.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Or... dragon eyes...I

Yes, when they did the closeup on the eyes, they had a little flicky thing in the corners that made them look more reptilian than feline.  

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm glad Yolanda held back instead of using her new superhero powers for murder.

Yeah, I was a little taken aback by how quickly she jumped straight to killing him (though she didn’t go through with it).  I suppose you could say all the pent-up rage of the last four months combined with the power of the suit flipped a switch in her head, but she didn’t strike me as the kind of girl who would jump straight to killing someone, even someone she hates as much as him.

7 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah, I was a little taken aback by how quickly she jumped straight to killing him (though she didn’t go through with it).  I suppose you could say all the pent-up rage of the last four months combined with the power of the suit flipped a switch in her head, but she didn’t strike me as the kind of girl who would jump straight to killing someone, even someone she hates as much as him.

I'm honestly not sure she was thinking of killing him (although given the power that the suit apparently has, we definitely were). I think she just wanted to hurt him back.

Another thing I noticed is that once she becomes Wildcat, her hair reverts to a far more-relaxed style instead of being those super-tight braids. They may have even changed the color grading on her scenes to make the later ones more colorful as a representation of her coming back.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I'm honestly not sure she was thinking of killing him (although given the power that the suit apparently has, we definitely were). I think she just wanted to hurt him back.

That makes more sense, actually.  I can see that.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Diapason Untuned said:

That must have been what happened, but wow she is fast.  Maybe she has super speed when it comes to cellphones.

I love that this show is so lighthearted.  Helps set it apart from the other Berlanti shows.    There's a dark, sinister underground to it, but the topping is all goofy, bubbly fluff.

Wow, Yolanda's parents are jerks.  Let this be a lesson to the young ladies out there though.  If you don't want everyone to see your jumblies, don't take or send pictures of them on your cellphone.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

So, Buffy, basically...

27 minutes ago, mrspidey said:

So, Buffy, basically...

I think that's the idea, but to me the characters on Buffy had a much less naive innocence to them than the characters on Stargirl do, and that's the disconnect I'm having. Buffy and the Scoobies had a much more worldly, sarcastic demeanor that made it a bit more palatable that they were also dealing with these evil menaces. Plus, even the darkness in Buffy- for the most part- was tinged with humor. The baddies in Stargirl are deadly serious.

I wasn't sure about this show when I first started watching. I couldn't swallow all the cheese I was being fed and it felt like a weird cross between the more mainstream DC superhero shows and a Disney XD teen show.

I still wince every now and then, but I think what finally sold me was the note Courtney left Yolanda that was signed with a Star and Kitty face. Such a teen girl thing to do.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

it felt like a weird cross between the more mainstream DC superhero shows and a Disney XD teen show.

That's a pretty accurate description.  But at least it's something different, we haven't seen this sort of setup very often.  Plus with all the ancient JSA stuff, it appeals to old fogey comic fans like myself, in addition to the younger crowd.

I also liked the star and kitty faces.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Plus, even the darkness in Buffy- for the most part- was tinged with humor. The baddies in Stargirl are deadly serious.

The villains here also have a richer background come across as people who went routes with the hands that were dealt them. The motivations are making more sense and with some of the villains, they don't like what they did, while others still use the excuse: "I did this to make "our lives" better. With Buffy almost all the villains wanted to bring down the end of the world and I remember once reference in season 6 where they asked the villain why they want to do that all the time and then what happens. Some of the villains on Buffy were: "Well, that's the plot for my character, why should I have a reason?" 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, readster said:

The villains here also have a richer background come across as people who went routes with the hands that were dealt them.

Yes. I read some articles lately from the EPs that said, "this is a show about family, and that goes for the villains as well."

• Love 2

I wondered what, if anything, is going to happen with Chekov's Pen.  I want to see Supergirl show up to save the day and then wonder who everyone is.

I thought the actress who played Yolanda/Wildcat did a great job.  The music cues helped. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

it felt like a weird cross between the more mainstream DC superhero shows and a Disney XD teen show.

This, and the comparisons to Buffy, are spot on.  That said, I like it--in part because of the casting, and in part because the show pays attention to details (like the toaster and the station wagon, and even how the skeevy boyfriend didn't set up Yolanda; he just wanted a sexy picture.  Evil Girl could have sent the photo to herself quickly if she was already in his contacts--but that would have been slightly funnier if she'd had to scroll through a lot of other numbers, and slightly more redeeming if the guy had been more upset.)

I suspect the time is "whatever time it needs to be; it's another Earth."  So it's partly the Silver Age of comics, partly today, and partly in between.  Also, I like how Courtney is still making mistakes (yeah, de-powering a hospital, even for a minute, would be very bad; calling someone in costume by their birth name is...why you have code names, etc.)

• Love 5

I admit, I do not follow the source materials for Stargirl / JSA so I do not know any better. However, I am a bit disappointed with the origin story. So they just get magical gadgets and those make them super heroes? That is... too easy. They do not come from another planet or from an ancient warrior race, or get exposed by chemicals / exotic matters / radiation? Or at least regular people who train above and beyond what normal people do to be extra proficient in martial arts?

I will admit that I have no idea what happened there with Wildcat's suit other than the producers not wanting to do another sewing montage, or it giving her the fancy powers. But in the original JSA in the 40's, not counting Superman and Batman, Wildcat may have been the only one with special training, as he was a heavyweight boxing champion. The rest included two metahumans, Flash and Diana, a few with magic or fancy gadgets (and in one case a guy who took a pill to give him powers), and a few who just put on costumes and started punching people.

• Useful 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

and even how the skeevy boyfriend didn't set up Yolanda; he just wanted a sexy picture.  Evil Girl could have sent the photo to herself quickly if she was already in his contacts

What I thought happened was Cindy sent the text to Yolanda pretending to be Henry requesting the nude pictures.  She then sent the pictures to everyone to undermine Yolanda's popularity and win the class election.  Henry dropped Yolanda due to the scandal/embarrassment and Cindy was swooping in on Henry to make him her boyfriend and maybe was giving him her number to call her.  Henry seems to feel bad about Yolanda though I think Yolanda thinks Henry was the culprit and hates him.

Makes more sense that "evil girl" actively ("you'll never see me coming" to Courtney) brought Yolanda down and wasn't just the recipient of a fortunate way (nude pictures of Yolanda happen to be on Henry's phone) to get what she wanted in bringing down Yolanda, winning the election, getting Henry.  Just my thought.

Edited by Bazinga
11 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

What I thought happened was Cindy sent the text to Yolanda pretending to be Henry requesting the nude pictures....

Yes, now that you mention it, @Bazinga, I recall thinking that the insistent, relentless texts from the boyfriend were red flags, and that maybe they were not from her boyfriend. But then later she told Courtney that he had been mean to her sometimes, so I guess we're not supposed to yet know for sure that the texts were from the Mean Girl? (although I think you are correct)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bazinga said:

What I thought happened was Cindy sent the text to Yolanda pretending to be Henry requesting the nude pictures. 

That's possible, but it didn't appear to be what happened.  The next morning Henry was looking at the pictures, and he and Yolanda shared a smile.  Cindy walks up like she's wondering what he's looking at and grabs the phone.  If she was the one who sent the texts (and presumably shared the pics with Henry), why would she want to know what he was looking at?  

And if she was the one who wrote the texts, she either had taken Henry's phone or has some good hacking abilities to make Yolando's phone identify her as Henry.  Which is possible, but either way you look at it, this story doesn't quite wash.  I almost wonder if there is a missing scene somewhere that got edited out.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I admit, I do not follow the source materials for Stargirl / JSA so I do not know any better. However, I am a bit disappointed with the origin story. So they just get magical gadgets and those make them super heroes? That is... too easy. They do not come from another planet or from an ancient warrior race, or get exposed by chemicals / exotic matters / radiation? Or at least regular people who train above and beyond what normal people do to be extra proficient in martial arts?

Some of them are normal joe schmos who have training, some are magical, some are aliens. 

11 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I am loving how Stargirl/Courtney interacts with the staff. And the way the staff appears to be “talking” to Stargirl.

And when you realize that Brec is the one who needs to make it look like it's pulling her, she's doing an excellent job!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MarkHB said:
13 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I am loving how Stargirl/Courtney interacts with the staff. And the way the staff appears to be “talking” to Stargirl.

And when you realize that Brec is the one who needs to make it look like it's pulling her, she's doing an excellent job!

Maybe they sent her to Mime School.

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

It's one of the goofier aspects of this show, but it's kind of charming.  Pat said the staff was invented by Sylvester Pemberton.  He apparently has imbued it with some kind of artificial intelligence.  The staff origin matches the comics, but it might be more convincing as some sort of mysterious alien device.

One thing that seems a little off is that you have this Injustice Society, that was able to kill the original Justice Society, who were made up of experienced superheroes.  But now it looks like they're going to be challenged by a bunch of superhero retread high school students.  I guess there's something to be said for youthful energy.