Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Beautiful Monster

• Start Topic

(edited)

Carolyn is frustrated with the lack of progress in the investigation and is taking it out on those around her. Meanwhile, Eve is focused on Villanelle and finds a clue to her whereabouts in the most unlikely of places. Villanelle and Dasha work together on a kill, and the pressure is getting to Konstantin.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 5/24/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Really good episode, but poor Mo. I hope V takes out The Twelve lady’s pet killer next episode in return.

Eve totally would have killed Dasha if not for the sirens. Dark Eve is a-coming.

Konstantin finally had his heart attack...I’m surprised he survived, I thought for sure that would be what did him in. He and V’s bickering never gets old. It was wildly implausible, but I also totally laughed when he realized Dasha was “next door” and laid back in the bed like “what is my life???” I still bet he doesn’t make it back to Irina in two days, though, and am still not confident he makes it out of this season alive. His confrontation with Geraldine was emblematic of how his reckonings are coming.

Death anvils have started to fall around Carolyn, no? I thought her line tonight was anvilicious in its own right. I hope the show doesn’t kill her off—it would lose an incredible amount if it did. Her “personal” line is totally pointing to Geraldine I swear! 

The Bitter Pill guys still seem kinda pointless but I enjoyed Bear with Eve tonight, so progress.

cant believe there’s only one episode left! They are so clearly setting up V and Eve to really partner up next season. Oh, and three cheers for continuity—it’s two seasons late but I like that Eve finally asked Carolyn what she and Villanelle talked about in that jail cell all the way back in S1.

• Love 6
(edited)

Damn, I thought Dasha was dead. I am not a fan.  Plus she has stinky breathy per Villanelle.

Thought K was a goner too but him I'm glad he's still around. They were telegraphing that heart attack for a while now. 

l cracked up when Eve gets info from the golfer then kicks him out of the car!  🙂

Sorry but they have put Jodie in some fugly outfits this season. That green thing she was wearing tonight was...yikes!

I laughed at Eve's little half hearted return wave at V as the train was pulling away. Remind me, now how did she know V would be at the station?

I was right there with K whenhe was getting so angry at his daughter for not giving a damn about killing her mom's boyfriend and ruining their plans.

I still enjoy the show but this season is just not as good as the last two seasons, like why were V and Dasha going to kill some rando guy playing golf? For fun?  Don't like that... or did I miss something?

Anyway, hopefully the writer(s) have something good in store for the finale. I don't know if it will being as good as the previous two finales but let's hope for something unexpected as they were.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Valny said:

I still enjoy the show but this season is just not as good as the last two seasons, like why were V and Dasha going to kill some rando guy playing golf? For fun?  Don't like that... or did I miss something?

I gathered that he was the target assigned to them but there was no reason given as to why (to the viewer, at least).

• Love 9

I forgot this was on then watched it on DVR and promptly fast forwarded through most of it, the telegraphed heart attack the pointless daughter, well two daughters, the temper tantrum as a release of grief etc.   It is doubtful that the ending will redeem the entire season. 

• Love 4

I had to laugh when Villanelle just stepped over Konstantin as he was turning ashy. He left his daughter in an asylum/jail, Villanelle left him on the train platform, both promising to come back. What a hilariously twisted little family.

Honestly, Dasha had it coming. She just kept pressing on Villanelle, almost right from the beginning. What did she expect? She should have known Villanelle might try to kill her, especially after Villanelle admitted she wanted out.

Reality has been catching up to everyone this season, they're paying the price of the lives they lead. I wonder what that will mean for Eve in the finale.

• Love 11
(edited)

Cool Taylor Swift cover over the opening credits:

47 minutes ago, Valny said:

l cracked up when Eve gets info from the golfer then kicks him out of the car!  🙂

LOL.  What did he say?  "What is this country????"

I'm so sad that this is over next week.  With that, I'll only have 2 shows with new content left!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Valny said:

Oh, I thought that was just a misdirect for Dasha (a story to get her someplace secluded) and the plan all along WAS to kill her.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Laura Neal wrote this episode and also the third episode of this season. She's next season's showrunner, which is pretty exciting to me as I feel she has the best grasp on the characters out of all the current writers. Villanelle especially really felt like herself tonight, and Eve seemed like less of a sad sack, like she'd gotten that manic spark back. 

I can't believe next week is the finale. These seasons are too short!

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

The scene with the man bumping into Konstantin on the train platform felt very like Chekhov's Gun. It was so fleeting, yet Konstantin commented on this random person "wanting to kill him" like everyone else in his life. Could the man have brushed by him intentionally in one of those Russian poison injection scenarios?  Especially since it was moments after that when the heart attack occurred? 

@Ms Blue Jay I think the American golfer said "what is this vile country?" Made me laugh as well. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I was thinking about how Konstantin's heart attack must have looked to the other people in the station -- the guy collapses, then two different women bend down next to him, have a brief conversation, and go their merry way. In the world of this show, that kinda cracked me up (IRL, probably not so much) 😄 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Fans believe Killing Eve cover is revenge on Scooter Braun

In what now appears to be a way of getting back at her rival Scooter Braun, Taylor Swift praised a mysterious cover of her hit song “Look What You Made Me Do” which played over the opening titles of the latest episode of Killing Eve.

The pop star said she was “very stoked” about the cover, which she attributed to a band called Jack Leopards and The Dolphin Club.

Though the song is credited to them on streaming services, Jack Leopards and The Dolphin Club have no other records credited to them, so they appear to be a fake band.

Nils Sjoberg – Swift’s songwriting pseudonym – is credited as a producer on the song. She used the alias back in 2016 when she appeared on Calvin Harris’ track featuring Rihanna, “This Is What You Came For”.

It seems the vocals on the track might belong to Swift’s brother Austin. Earlier this year, it was reported that Swift had “begged” Phoebe Waller-Bridge to let her little brother be a part of the Killing Eve soundtrack.

Austin Swift’s Twitter name used to be The Dolphin Club and back in December 2019, he was spotted in the studio with his sister and the producer Jack Antonoff, leading fans to theorize the cover was recorded back then.

It seems Swift released her song under a fake band name with her brother on it so that Scott and Scooter Braun – who recently acquired her back catalogue from Big Machine Records – wouldn’t receive any money from it.

• Useful 4
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Cool Taylor Swift cover over the opening credits:

I didn't even recognize the song. I had never heard it until Chris Mann did a parody of it (I Call My Friends on Zoom, which is hilarious. And TS is in the video.) So I went and watched the video for the original song very recently.

One episode left and I feel like not much has really "happened"; I mean, sure, stuff happened but there's been no resolution to anything. Are we just going to have a bunch of cliffhangers?

• Love 2

I'm also confused as to how Eve knew she could find V and K at the train station.

So Irina got arrested and thrown in some kind of juvenille lockup that quickly, how is that? Why didn't K just whisk her away to Cuba?

I hope Carolyn gets her groove back ASAP, cuz I'm kind of over brooding Carolyn.

• Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I also totally laughed when he realized Dasha was “next door” and laid back in the bed like “what is my life???”

That might have been my favorite scene, along with him screaming about people waiting for him in the dark when he discovered Geraldine in his London flat.

Speaking of Geraldine, last night was the first time I noticed how excellent the physical casting of Gemma Whelan was to play Fiona Shaw's daughter.

16 hours ago, Valny said:

That green thing she was wearing tonight was...yikes!

The coat was bonkers, but I loved it.

13 hours ago, Cranberry said:

These seasons are too short!

I disagree. I think at least half of this season's episodes were treading water plot-wise, and I wouldn't want more of those. I felt like this episode finally gave us some forward movement, but even then, the deaths (except for poor Mo) weren't real.

I do think Laura Neal seems to get the show. This episode as a whole hung together better than most of the season.

I now kind of hate Irina. Ooh, look, she's a psychopath/sociopath. Well, on a show chock full of them, that's nothing special, even one as young as she is.

Edited by dubbel zout
belated spelling
  • Love 4

I really hope they don't kill off any of the older characters, I love all of them! (I'm old, so...)

8 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Laura Neal wrote this episode and also the third episode of this season. She's next season's showrunner, which is pretty exciting to me as I feel she has the best grasp on the characters out of all the current writers. Villanelle especially really felt like herself tonight, and Eve seemed like less of a sad sack, like she'd gotten that manic spark back. 

I can't believe next week is the finale. These seasons are too short!

This is good to know. I really feel they got back to themselves again, along with the dark humor that has been lacking for much of the season. Original flavor and only one ep left. Well, if Neal is next year's showrunner, I'm optimistic about season 4.

• Love 2
(edited)

Konstantin can't take Irina until she gets out of the juvenile facility.  Since the shrink said she's a dangerous psycho, and feels nothing about killing her mother's boyfriend, then she's not getting out soon.   However, Irina told the shrink that she regrets not reversing the car, and running over her mother's boyfriend again.    

I think they traced V. to the railway station with the credit card, the same way Eve ended up at the golf course. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Laura Neal wrote this episode and also the third episode of this season. She's next season's showrunner, which is pretty exciting to me as I feel she has the best grasp on the characters out of all the current writers.

THIS. This was probably my favorite episode of the season. It had the same wit and spark that made me fall in love with it in the first place. 

I found it incredibly interesting to watch Villanelle sort of fall apart and lose what made her such a brilliant asset in the first place while simultaneously seeing Irina (and in a way, Eve) sort of harden into what Villanelle used to be. 

I literally cheered when Villanelle clubbed Dasha and was grinning wildly when Eve was stepping on her because I just think she is a vile human being. At least when V was paired with Konstantin you saw some real affinity and affection between them. I so wish Eve had been able to finish the job. 

I had absolutely assumed that Konstantin was a goner. I had seen photos of the Liverpool Street station scene months ago (damn nosy Instagrammers) and have been dreading it all season but am glad that at least for now, he appears to be okay. Kim Bodnia's laugh alone is like a big, warm comfort blanket. 

Still completely over Geraldine and don't care if I ever see her again. What a waste of a character. Yes, I think she has played an important role in fleshing out Carolyn's character but she continues to suck up too much screen time. 

I am genuinely excited for the finale but know that I will be bereft that we will likely have to wait until 2022 to see how this is all going to shake out. 

• Love 9

In some ways this episode was almost a comedy.  Can't tell you how often I laughed - the dry humor with the Bitter Pill guys, so many of Konstantin's lines (that actor is a treasure), the cheap laugh of the golfer's "plumber's crack" - this was a great episode (except for poor Mo - I figured it was about time he donned the red shirt).  

Did anybody understand what V said to the 12 woman when she was revealing a secret (like V is stupid or something)?  It sounded like something about shitting in a shoe when she was three but even after multiple listenings, I wasnt sure exactly what she said.

• Love 1

I will never understand why K even let Irina go into custody. Your daughter killing someone with no witnesses (or even with them) is even more reason to take her and flee to Cuba! If he cared about her rehabilitation he wouldn't have tried to bribe the doctor to let her walk. So why involve the authorities in the first place? 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Did anybody understand what V said to the 12 woman when she was revealing a secret (like V is stupid or something)?  It sounded like something about shitting in a shoe when she was three but even after multiple listenings, I wasnt sure exactly what she said.

She 'confessed' that she did something terrible to her mother. The Twelve woman asked her what she did, and she said she took a shit in her shoe when she was three. So yes, you heard right.

• Love 5
(edited)

I have found that Closed Captioning is my friend for this show.    In fact I learned how to turn CC on my TV for this show. 

They don't really explain why V. kills specific people.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have found that Closed Captioning is my friend for this show.    In fact I learned how to turn CC on my TV for this show. 

Haha! Me, too!

• Love 2

I was just reading a recap on the Interwebs, and the recapper said that Dasha was the intended target all along. I missed that completely. So the American golfer was a red herring to lure Dasha? Planned by Helene? I thought Helene had told V to take Dasha so that she, V, wouldn't screw up another murder. Then I thought that V had just decided to kill Dasha instead. So this was all a Helene-approved set-up?

I think the location shoots and the set designs are probably 70% of why I love this show. The grand room filled with armor struck me as the right mix of wealth mingled with menace that seems to exemplify Helene's character.  It made me miss the Met Museum's Arms and Armor galleries, so when it's safe to leave my apartment and take the subway, I'm planning to hop back over to the Met to see it again. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Arkay said:

The scene with the man bumping into Konstantin on the train platform felt very like Chekhov's Gun. It was so fleeting, yet Konstantin commented on this random person "wanting to kill him" like everyone else in his life. Could the man have brushed by him intentionally in one of those Russian poison injection scenarios?  Especially since it was moments after that when the heart attack occurred? 

@Ms Blue Jay I think the American golfer said "what is this vile country?" Made me laugh as well. 

I thought him repeating ‘little prick, little prick’ indicated that he realized the guy that bumped into him injected him with something, causing the heart attack?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

I was just reading a recap on the Interwebs, and the recapper said that Dasha was the intended target all along. I missed that completely. So the American golfer was a red herring to lure Dasha? Planned by Helene? I thought Helene had told V to take Dasha so that she, V, wouldn't screw up another murder. Then I thought that V had just decided to kill Dasha instead. So this was all a Helene-approved set-up?

I think the location shoots and the set designs are probably 70% of why I love this show. The grand room filled with armor struck me as the right mix of wealth mingled with menace that seems to exemplify Helene's character.  It made me miss the Met Museum's Arms and Armor galleries, so when it's safe to leave my apartment and take the subway, I'm planning to hop back over to the Met to see it again. 

I missed it, too. I feel so dumb sometimes when I read recaps. One of them (maybe we read the same one) indicated that it was clear from Helene's dialogue that Dasha had been the target all along. I didn't catch that, I just thought that exchange was meant to show that V didn't love the idea of going back in the field alone so Helene was saying, take Dasha with you then. (In fact the synopsis for the episode says they are 'working together on a kill' or something similar.) They tend to sometimes clarify their intentions in later episodes so maybe you and I will be proven either right or wrong next episode. (I did wonder why Dasha was thrown by the 'character' choices V was improvising as the hotel check-in, like they weren't on the same page.) But watching the episode I def thought the Dasha bit was V's own plan, semi-improvised. Otherwise why let the fake target see and live to tell about it? She could have killed her in the hotel and blamed it on the fake dementia!

• Love 5

Yeah I didn’t get that from the episode. What I got was that Helene wanted the golfer dead, but V’s plan all along (with Konstantin) was to take out Dasha, hence why she asked Helene if she could bring Dasha on the mission.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Valny said:

Sorry but they have put Jodie in some fugly outfits this season. That green thing she was wearing tonight was...yikes!

I had the exact opposite reaction! I kept thinking how spectacularly fabulous it was, and how much I wanted that exact outfit! To each their own, I guess 🙂

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

The 12 woman asked V if she (V) had anything she wanted to get off her chest. V said, (paraphrase), "I did something terrible to my mother," at which point the 12 woman got all expectant that V was going to say something intense - but all V said was that she shit in her mother's shoe when she was three years old. Hardly a big "thing"! [Oops, I see that someone already answered this.]

I didn't think that the American golfer was the target. To me, it appeared that Dasha and V were looking at him as he did or said something a bit loudly and both were rather disgusted by him. I was actually shocked that V let him escape - I thought she was going to get rid of him right then and there, since he witnessed what happened to Dasha. 

What exactly is the pressure that Konstantin is under?  Does he have a specific assignment that he's not fulfilling? 

Add me to the club that found the golfing outfit really rather ugly. Like, seriously off-putting ugly and just flat out weird. Of course, fashion is subjective!

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They don't really explain why V. kills specific people. 

Do you mean why Villanelle kills specific people, or why The Twelve does? Villanelle kills them because she's told to by The Twelve, her employers. Why The Twelve are targeting these specific people, no one knows -- that's part of the overarching mystery of the show and we're not meant to know that yet.

• Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Do you mean why Villanelle kills specific people, or why The Twelve does? Villanelle kills them because she's told to by The Twelve, her employers. Why The Twelve are targeting these specific people, no one knows -- that's part of the overarching mystery of the show and we're not meant to know that yet.

Well, the 12 did not have her kill the little boy where she stole his pajamas.....and a few others... if she could just knock Dasha out and not make sure she was dead, then there was no reason for her to kill the nanny when she took the baby. She could have disabled her.  Those who would argue that she could identify her....at this point is her "identity" a secret from the authorities....and Dasha can hurt her much more by talking either to the police or the 12 than the nanny could have just by seeing her face for a few minutes. 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AnyTimeFromNow said:
20 hours ago, Valny said:

I had the exact opposite reaction! I kept thinking how spectacularly fabulous it was, and how much I wanted that exact outfit! To each their own, I guess

If she had been dressed like a soccer mom, she wouldn't have attracted the attention of men with money. Polo shirts and short skirts don't say "so much money, I have to be interesting."

The got-eaten-by-a-muppet look reeked of designer originality with stratospheric price tag....rich men would know that it wasn't ready to wear and any woman wearing it was ...rich or controlled by someone rich, self assured, free to do whatever she chose, and possibly as much a freak in bed as in street wear.  Dude in expensive Jaeger knit vestbut in cheap colors) saw an opportunity and as an important man cloaked in his own success, opportunities must be seized. 

38 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Well, the 12 did not have her kill the little boy where she stole his pajamas...

The not so little boy had wished he were dead.  She granted his wish.

• Love 2

Yeah, that boy in the hospital was a mercy kill, or what passes for mercy from Villanelle.

The baby's nanny could have identified her. Villanelle's identity is not a secret, but as far as everyone knew, she was "retired," right? It's better for her if they don't know she's active again and aren't actively looking for her in specific cities.

The woman with the baby was a Twelve target. The woman in the spice shop was as well; she was a political agitator.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I thought him repeating ‘little prick, little prick’ indicated that he realized the guy that bumped into him injected him with something, causing the heart attack?

That's an interesting observation. I assumed he was saying it in the usual pejorative sense. I do think it's possible, as I said somewhere above, that the brush-by could have been intentional just because Konstantin remarked on it, but he didn't appear to react as though he felt something sting him. But who knows?

@BingeyKohan  Maybe we did read the same recap. I don't remember the rule here, if we are allowed to post a link or comment about another site. That's what being homebound for more than two months will do. I REALLY wish this show had more episodes because NYC is doing a lot better as far as Covid goes, but I'm still not going out at all. I NEED an absorbing show right now! But the recap I read mentioned several times that Dasha was always the target, part of the plan with Helene, and that the golf situation was the cover. Which I still don't really see. My impression was much more that after Dasha told V that she had a son to hold her hand when she died and that V would die alone, Villanelle decided not to let that happen. As you said, Bingey, we will find out eventually. 

I'm not sure why I don't enjoy Helene's character, but I don't. Something about the acting feels forced to me. 

• Love 4

I’m still sort of thinking that maybe Geraldine will be unmasked in the finale as not someone who they seem to be. That rapid shift in facial expression, vocal tone and body language in the scene with Konstantin got my suspicions raised. She’s like Sandy in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, I tell you.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think someone saw Irina run over the man or something, because I don't think Konstantin knew about her arrest until after it happened.   Of course, I could be totally wrong.  

Konstantin saw Irina run over her mother's boyfriend at the end of the previous episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Villanelle makes a lovely high-fashion Grinch, doesn't she? Yikes! I didn't particularly like the ensemble, but it met our girls basic requirements: expensive and eye-catching.

This episode felt like the Killing Eve I fell in love with during Season One. I really wish I'd enjoyed this season more.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, eXiled said:

Villanelle makes a lovely high-fashion Grinch, doesn't she? Yikes! I didn't particularly like the ensemble, but it met our girls basic requirements: expensive and eye-catching.

One of the commenters on the AV Club recap called that outfit "Oscar the Grouch cosplay." 

The recapper also pointed out something that flitted through my mind during the scene but then I forgot about: "It’s requiring more than the usual suspension of disbelief to roll with the notion that Konstantin would leave a key with a neighbor."

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
On 5/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, Valny said:

That jacket looked like she’d killed a Muppet and wore it as a trophy!

• LOL 7
(edited)

Ok, fixed the Irina post.    I miss a lot of this show, it just moves so fast. 

I hoping the finale this Sunday will wrap up some threads on this show.     I think Dasha, and Konstantin being in the same ER might get interesting.    

I'm betting Geraldine will turn out to be a much bigger character than she has been so far.    

The golfer was hysterical.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The recapper also pointed out something that flitted through my mind during the scene but then I forgot about: "It’s requiring more than the usual suspension of disbelief to roll with the notion that Konstantin would leave a key with a neighbor."

Konstantin did express regret he did that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1