Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: The Pleasure Principle

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I once joked about coming out with a line of clothes that were splotchy multi-colored so that no one could see the ketchup, mustard, spaghetti, etc., that always seems to find its way to my shirts.

MessyMe

I just bought a lovely white smock to wear if/when we ever go back to the office. I'll have to eat before and after I leave for work because there's no way I can eat with that thing on. Even if I wear a bib, stains will find it. I can take it off and eat in my bra, but if there's food in the same room as this beautiful thing, it will end up on it.

• LOL 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

No, you are most certainly not the only one. I'm skeeved out by those ads. There is absolutely nothing normal about a mother washing her adult child in the shower. And the fact that the daughter says her mom washing her body and hair makes her feel comforted (or something like that) is yucky. These people have serious issues. I feel like I need to take a shower (I can do this all by myself) after seeing those ads, they gross me out so much. 

The entire concept is disgusting and gross.  I will never watch it.  Let's hope most people feel the same, so they can go the way of that fingernail show.

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 8
On 5/19/2020 at 8:59 PM, RubySoho said:

My thought is, a customer service rep isn’t going get snippy like that with a customer if the customer wasn’t dishing out the attitude to begin with. Considering the fact that we’re talking about BGL...well. She was probably well-deserving of that curt response. And then some. 🙄

I didn’t think the rep was the least bit rude.

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

The entire concept is disgusting and gross.  I will never watch it.  Let's hope most people feel the dame, so they can go the way of that fingernail show.

Even reading the comments about this show grosses me out a little.  No would never watch.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, RealReality said:

Ha ha, I'd love to hear your positive cheerful attitude up against that CSR in the office.

My friend is a retired flight attendant and she told me the way she handled passengers was the nastier someone got, the sweeter she would become. Honey would drip off her tongue and she would nod and smile broadly. It was totally disarming and people most people didn't know how to react so they backed off. IOW, kill 'em with kindness! 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, magemaud said:

My friend is a retired flight attendant and she told me the way she handled passengers was the nastier someone got, the sweeter she would become. Honey would drip off her tongue and she would nod and smile broadly. It was totally disarming and people most people didn't know how to react so they backed off. IOW, kill 'em with kindness! 

Reminds me of that show The Closer where the main character was from Atlanta, Georgia.  She kept saying thank you, thank you so much.  On one episode it was pointed out that saying thank you like that could actually mean thank you, or could mean you are now dismissed, or could mean go to h---.  Yet the words and the tone are always the same.  Genius.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

And a tiny diamond chip engagement ring.

not even a diamond chip, it was a CZ, but David's supposed explanation is that it's a "placeholder" ring to give Lana when he proposes then gets to pick out a ring she likes. I'm hoping Lana whips out a jeweler's loupe to appraise it and says NYET. Maybe Ed would sell him the allegedly REAL diamond solitaire he brought for Rose (tucked into his suitcase along with various dental products.) 

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Yeah plus it gets the other passengers on your side.  I have heard customers intervene when one is being rude to a store clerk, knowing that the clerk cannot be rude back without risking discipline.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

Let's hope most people feel the same, so they can go the way of that fingernail show.

Unfortunately, they must have gotten enough viewers to justify a second season, just like "The Family Chantal." 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, magemaud said:

I believe when we first "met" Lisa she said something about Usman having asked her to marry him but she was waiting until she got to Nigeria for the official proposal. What a romantic! 

I do not understand this.  "Propose" means to suggest they get married, right?  Either that was implied or they'd already talked about it, because that's one of the major reasons Lisa went to Nigeria - to meet Usman & marry him.  I think TV and other media has made women feel they "deserve" a formal proposal, guy down on one knee, ring-in-a-box presentation, etc.  Extra points if it's a "surprise."

I worked with a woman once who was pregnant by her boyfriend, probably 7-8 months along, and they decided to get married (probably against their better judgment).  I found her one afternoon crying in the bathroom because the courthouse wedding was the following weekend and "he still hasn't proposed."  WTF?!?  Remember when you two decided to get married, planned a wedding, and made an appointment for the courthouse?  THAT'S YOUR PROPOSAL!  Get over it!  Not everyone gets the made-for-teevee moment!

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

Another thing about Lisa that should be a deal breaker is her refusal to pronounce his name correctly. Everyone says "OOOS-mahn" while she continues to say "US-min" in rapid staccato. I don't mean she needs to adopt an affected "Andreeiii" pronunciation, but it's not that hard to say it correctly. But she's lazy and finds "Bibbiluv" easier. 

• Love 5

Gran has made her selection and it will get to her within a week.

Drum roll please....

From the extensive Walmart selection...Up2Date Sunset/Safari Print.

She must have selected that monstrosity with the idea she could shorten it with enough fabric to sew herself:

A couple of matching face masks to wear when greeting the postman, UPS guy (they see it all)

Bows for her doggie.. all matchy matchy

Lap napkin to catch dropped the hot cheetos

She is tickled pink with her new muumuu.

• LOL 5
52 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I work in customer service & can vouch for this method.  The louder someone gets, the quieter & kinder I get.  Yelling back just ramps up the frustration.  This method brings it down.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

I do not understand this.  "Propose" means to suggest they get married, right?  Either that was implied or they'd already talked about it, because that's one of the major reasons Lisa went to Nigeria - to meet Usman & marry him.  I think TV and other media has made women feel they "deserve" a formal proposal, guy down on one knee, ring-in-a-box presentation, etc.  Extra points if it's a "surprise."

She wants one of those prom-posal type productions with Usman singing a new song he wrote just for her. She wants everyone to witness her being treated like a queen. Of course, how she imagines it versus what Usman comes up is just another fight waiting to happen. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

And when it's the other way around, when a clerk or salesperson is rude to you for no good reason, you ask sweetly, "And what is your name?" and take out a scrap of paper and write it down.  You don't do a thing with it but put it in your purse.  It's remarkable.

If the salesperson knows he or she is being rude, the attitude will change immediately, and you might even get an apology.  If the person does not feel like they've done anything wrong but believe you are going to complain to a superior, they will make sure to help you in a more "helpful" way.  Everybody wins.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

Another thing about Lisa that should be a deal breaker is her refusal to pronounce his name correctly. Everyone says "OOOS-mahn" while she continues to say "US-min" in rapid staccato. I don't mean she needs to adopt an affected "Andreeiii" pronunciation, but it's not that hard to say it correctly. But she's lazy and finds "Bibbiluv" easier. 

"Michael" (of Michael and Big Angela/Grangela/I-can-tote-it): That's not even close to his name, Big Ang just started calling him that. Her trashy ass couldn't even begin to pronounce his true name I'm sure. 

3 hours ago, procrasstinator said:

Reminds me of that show The Closer where the main character was from Atlanta, Georgia.  She kept saying thank you, thank you so much.  On one episode it was pointed out that saying thank you like that could actually mean thank you, or could mean you are now dismissed, or could mean go to h---.  Yet the words and the tone are always the same.  Genius.

I loved "The Closer!"

And, so true - she could say "thank you, thank you so much" and you knew sometimes it just mean "Fuck off Mister!" 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kath94 said:

I worked with a woman once who was pregnant by her boyfriend, probably 7-8 months along, and they decided to get married (probably against their better judgment).  I found her one afternoon crying in the bathroom because the courthouse wedding was the following weekend and "he still hasn't proposed."  WTF?!?  Remember when you two decided to get married, planned a wedding, and made an appointment for the courthouse?  THAT'S YOUR PROPOSAL!  Get over it!  Not everyone gets the made-for-teevee moment!

LOL, I think that "traditional proposal" ship sailed for your friend when she realized she'd be getting married with a baby bump.  If you wanna go in on tradition, go in, but don't be half in an half out.  "Traditional engagements" dictate that you aren't pregnant at the alter. At least not pregnant enough so that you can't lie about having a "wedding night" conception.

3 hours ago, Kath94 said:

I work in customer service & can vouch for this method.  The louder someone gets, the quieter & kinder I get.  Yelling back just ramps up the frustration.  This method brings it down.

Or the person just implode and malfunctions.  Either way, the call will be over sooner without yelling.  

Source: I have Karen-esque tendencies that I'm working on.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kendi said:

She wants one of those prom-posal type productions with Usman singing a new song he wrote just for her.

Wasn't it enough that he introduced her at the club as his "White American Woman Fiancee?" 

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

"Michael" (of Michael and Big Angela/Grangela/I-can-tote-it): That's not even close to his name, Big Ang just started calling him that.

I thought he introduced himself as "Michael" when he first started talking to her online. (And, IIRC, at first didn't she also think he was in England or am I getting my Yahoo Boys mixed up?) But dopey Benjamin couldn't begin to pronounce Akinyi's real first name and calls her by her surname. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Kath94 said:

I remember Usman saying that they were talking and Lisa decided they should get married and he went along with it.  And before she flew over she said something about needing a proposal.

It's a stupid expectation, but she did make that clear as one of her conditions.  She is such a ray of sunshine.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, John M said:

I would love you to meet my half-sister and her husband, I almost think their sexual fetish is to be goddamn miserable about everything in their lives to the point of creating it. It's so weird! I can understand it, they would literally rather complain about their wallpaper for a decade in their kitchen nook than just replace it or paint over it and they have more than enough to do both or just move.

As lovely as they sound, I think I’m gonna have to pass on that introduction. 

• LOL 11
9 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I didn’t think the rep was the least bit rude.

Oh, I didn’t think she was being rude either, considering who she was dealing with. Just thought I caught a hint of something in her voice that was less than cheerful/chipper/happy to be helping. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 4

BGL was looking for a fight and to tear into someone since she's already tore into SJB ... The poor woman who answered the phone and had to deal with an ogre, irritable and jumpy from nicotine withdrawal.... needing a cigarette badly...that woman heard the ugliness in her tense voice so she kept her cool with a professional attitude and responses.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Gran has made her selection and it will get to her within a week.

Drum roll please....

From the extensive Walmart selection...Up2Date Sunset/Safari Print.

She must have selected that monstrosity with the idea she could shorten it with enough fabric to sew herself:

A couple of matching face masks to wear when greeting the postman, UPS guy (they see it all)

Bows for her doggie.. all matchy matchy

Lap napkin to catch dropped the hot cheetos

She is tickled pink with her new muumuu.

I won't knock the Walmart collection.  I just got some sweet Golden Girls jammies from there.

Preview is up.  It's only 20 minutes this week, but I guess it's difficult not to be spoiling important things this close to the end.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kangatush said:
12 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

I won't knock the Walmart collection.  I just got some sweet Golden Girls jammies from there.

Jealous of your jammies!!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, magemaud said:

I thought he introduced himself as "Michael" when he first started talking to her online. (And, IIRC, at first didn't she also think he was in England or am I getting my Yahoo Boys mixed up?) But dopey Benjamin couldn't begin to pronounce Akinyi's real first name and calls her by her surname. 

You totally could be right about "Michael," seems so long ago I don't remember and don't care enough to look it up. 

I totally forgot (and now remember) about Akinyi being her last name. Benjamin is too dopey to pronounce her first name and he has zero willingness to even learn how. That's just plain inconsiderate.

Reminds me of all the others who are lazy and don't try to learn "the love of their life"'s language. They expect the others to learn English. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

They expect the others to learn English

Or communicate through a translation device indefinitely.

but I guess if the idea is to bring your fiancé to live and work in the United States, it makes sense for the foreigner to learn to speak English. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, Mondrianyone said:

The Jackson Pollock At-Home Collection.  You'd clean up with it.  So to speak.

My big concern is, once the pandemic is over, will they make us start wearing a bra again? (The women, I mean.)

I wonder if Colt and Debbie will.  Or Lisa finds one that fits her appropriately.  I mean, she's been busy lately on the soshul meedya, but in theory, she has time to find one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, Mondrianyone said:

The Jackson Pollock At-Home Collection.

will there be cold shoulder style options? Asking for a friend

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

will there be cold shoulder style options? Asking for a friend

As the creator of the line, I must confess.  I have several cold-shoulder tops so that I can show my tattoos without showing the flab under my arms.

So, yes.  Thank you for your input.  I will add cold shoulders to the line.

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

OMG! I'm an influencer! (Soshully distant, of course)

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 5/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Sign me up for a pay per view cage match between Lisa and Angela!

Angela would wipe the floor with GGL (Golden Girl Lisa).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 5/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Avery and Ash had been talking online for a year before meeting. Ash told her his divorce occurred right around his SEPARATION, a decade before. Yes he 100% lied to her and Sian (the ex wife) confirmed the actual divorce time line. So Avery had every right to be suspicious as Ash’s divorce occurred right around the beginning of their correspondence- not 10yrs before like he told her. 

On 5/18/2020 at 9:27 AM, bichonblitz said:

Darcy isn't independant at all. She lives in that big house with her parents. It's their house. Her daughters and Stacy live there, too. I think Stacy has a kid or two there as well. Not sure if Darcy has shared custody of her daughters or not so I don't know if they live there full time. At 45 she can't support herself and her daughters alone? Maybe if she stopped worrying about dick all the time and start concentrating on all the other mess of her life she would be better off. Those poor daughters. 

Yolanda has got to be the most boring person on the planet. How is she collecting a check for sitting and scrolling through her phone pretending she really thinks there is a Williams? I want that job. 

I can't stand Ash. Every word out of his mouth is a lie. He talks so damn fast every sentence has to be captioned. How is he supposed to keep a job if he's in the U.S. for 3 months at a time and then back home in Australia? His son is a doll, though. 

Here we go with the google translation app again. Oh, David. He is another bore. Neither one of them had anything to say to the other after 7 years apart. He was hugging Lana to death and she just stood there her hands down by her side. Lana is much prettier in photo's. 

Wow,  Didn't know Darcy and Stacey  Still live with their mommy! Grow up.

Avery  Now you know he's a liar and he's got crazy eyes...RUN!!  I cannot stand ash! Lol  Every time I say ash they think I'm saying a**.

• Love 1

So far rose is the only smart one, And she is basically destitute over there. Poor girl.

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

As the creator of the line, I must confess.  I have several cold-shoulder tops so that I can show my tattoos without showing the flab under my arms.

Omg,  I hate the cold shoulder tops. They were passe almost as soon as they came out. The biggest problem is Really heavy women tend to buy them in tent sizes.  They are definitely not attractive.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2020 at 9:08 AM, MrBuhBye said:

Perhaps Mary and Varya can have a boxing match like Rocky Balboa and Ivan Drago.  Loser gets stuck with Deliverance man who orders her to squeal like a pig.

They should both put on the gloves but Box Jeffrey.

2 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

When Usman said he had never proposed before, but he copied what he saw on TV-- I thought that was SO SWEET. I love Usman. 

He sure deserves better than that wench.

• Love 4
On 5/20/2020 at 9:50 AM, Pondlass1 said:

The visit to Geoffrey’s home was a planned event right down to the expedited travel visa arriving two weeks after Geoffrey’s huffy departure.
We saw the van with camera crew ahead of the taxi.  The dogs didn't bark. Geoffrey and PICK ME! Mary were waiting by the door for the arrival.

The only one not in on the surprise was Varya. She seemed genuinely nervous and excited to have this opportunity. She thought she was staying at his house. No one would think  that in real life, so production had set it up.

It all makes for silly drama and ratings, but not fair to Varya who probably was egged into jealous What’s she doing here! anger for the cameras.

Anyway they all get nice trips at TLC expense. So there’s that. But it would be great if future seasons could be less manufactured for drama and more realistic. Nicer participants we can root for would make a change too.

Omg, yes to all the above.  Nicer people,✔ less manufactured,✔ someone to root for. ✔ Bring rose back and let her meet a nice guy. I will root for her and her son.✔ Hey TLC are you listening? 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, monagatuna said:

I just bought a lovely white smock to wear if/when we ever go back to the office. I'll have to eat before and after I leave for work because there's no way I can eat with that thing on. Even if I wear a bib, stains will find it. I can take it off and eat in my bra, but if there's food in the same room as this beautiful thing, it will end up on it.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, antfitz said:

Hey TLC are you listening? 

I don't think TLC cares.  They've stooped to a certain low level of producer and can only get worse.  They probably think of the "Bachelor" and "Housewives" franchises as the epitome of reality TV ... something they yearn for but can never reach.  Still...their ratings keep climbing.

Edited by Kayz Opinion
  • Love 3

I know the foreign women are trying to hook the guys, but they all look like hookers in their pictures. And they all claim to be "models."  Have a feeling a model for douchey men's magazines.

• Love 4
On 5/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, DEL901 said:

Especially in another country.   You don’t know their slang.   For example, when you root for the team in Australia, you are having sex with them.  

Lol 

On 5/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, DEL901 said:

Especially in another country.   You don’t know their slang.   For example, when you root for the team in Australia, you are having sex with them.  

Lol 

Sometimes I feel like I wanna slap these women silly and get   some sense in to them.  Don't they know that when these guys call them baby girl, sweetums, my love, etc.  It is because they are talking to a lot of women and getting money from them, and they don't want to get them mixed up and call them the wrong name. So they call ALL OF THEM THE SAME "AFFECTIONATE" term.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Honey said:

Angela would wipe the floor with GGL (Golden Girl Lisa).

I'm sorry, but as a golden girl devotee it hurts my feelings to compare those vibrant, humourous and loving women to that fried haired slag Lisa.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

The only reason why Ed was crying was because Rosemarie foiled his plan. His plan was that HE was going to break it off.

He complains that she left without saying goodbye, but he was the one who walked away from her!

He told his mother Rose wanted two more children which was a deal breaker for him but he made it sound like it came as a bombshell DURING THE TRIP when in reality Rose had been saying that all along. 

Oops, that conversation happens in the next episode. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, antfitz said:

I know the foreign women are trying to hook the guys, but they all look like hookers in their pictures. And they all claim to be "models."  Have a feeling a model for douchey men's magazines.

Deavon (and others, I think) has said that tlc recommends that cast members do not give out their real jobs (for safety reasons) and encourages the women to say they are "models".

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Gobi said:

Deavon (and others, I think) has said that tlc recommends that cast members do not give out their real jobs (for safety reasons) and encourages the women to say they are "models".

But most of the women have had jobs that weren't kept secret. Maybe "model" is TLC's code word for "unemployed." 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, magemaud said:

But most of the women have had jobs that weren't kept secret. Maybe "model" is TLC's code word for "unemployed." 

I think “model” is supposed to convince the mark, John, suiter that she is desirable and almost out of his league.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2