Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: CPAPs, Hickeys and Biscuits

Pallas
  • Start Topic

43 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Were there some very dark episodes of Roseanne I missed in the 90s?

How about the whole episode where the family was discussing DJ's "self-love" habits lol? Plus they did joke about sex a lot with each other. 

• Love 4

My objection to D.J.'s lack of reaction wasn't that sex was being discussed; it has generally discussed with a healthy degree of openness in this family.  It was that he didn't bat an eye at the fact his dad was getting ready to sleep with someone other than his mom for the first time in eons.  I wouldn't have expected him to have a problem with that, but I would expect a small non-verbal oh, wow, this is different/really happening/a little weird/bittersweet reaction to hearing it stated.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

If they did lose the house (they won't) DJ's house will be the first house they try to move into. 

And risk making him a more integral character to the show? Surely you jest! 😛 

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I was also a little confused about Ben and Darlene.  Is he supposed to be moving into the Conner house? 

No, he's been staying over there a lot, but he still has his own place (and it sounds like Darlene might be moving in with him now). 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

As much as I squeed at the Dan and Louise shimmy-sham, for me it would have been better if there were more of a build-up to it, i.e both of them being nervous, talking a bit about what this would mean to them, etc....but beggars can't be choosers.

Wish they would give Michael Fishman more to do.

Cosign at Bev saving the day with the house, god help Dan.

I am sort of sick of Dan always being in this situation. He really should of kept that government job back in the day.

• Love 7

I could watch Dan and Chuck and the New Recipe Du-wright and his other buddies playing poker all day. Glad to see Leedle Ed (aka Ed Jr) at the table. And DJ has always been awkward as he had gotten older. 

I hated Darlene less this episode for some reason. Perhaps since she got carted off to jail **cackles wildly*** And I loved the full circle where Harris was ribbing her. 

I'm guessing Dan has been so wrapped up in mourning his wife that supporting all his family members became his priority and because they all have their own problems, they weren't paying attention. I'm hoping Bev doesn't end up holding it over his head if she does bail him out. Bev was a mean sea hag in the past, but she seems to have gotten meaner and more vindictive as she's gotten older. And I hope Darlene as her power of attorney doesn't just pay off the mortgage to "save" Dan. Oh, hey, how about if Dan wins the lottery?!?! ; D

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

I am sort of sick of Dan always being in this situation. He really should of kept that government job back in the day.

Yeah, but at this point of time, that apparently NEVER happened. Dan has just been floating through construction jobs all his life and up until 2008 when everything went out the door. 

• Love 5

We don't know if that job ever existed in this retconned world though. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

We don't know if that job ever existed in this retconned world though. 

That's probably true. 

However, it is worrying that he is in foreclosure and he seems to be keeping all he people that live in his home in the dark about the situation, probably out of a misplaced sense of pride.

As some one else said, foreclosure does not happen overnights, he must have missed several months worth of payments. Becky actually had her baby with the idea that she will be able to live at home for a while, though she could move in with Jackie.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

I'm sorry but it's been years since I've seen Roseanne but this was the prison job correct? Why did he quit that job? 

5 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I'm sorry but it's been years since I've seen Roseanne but this was the prison job correct? Why did he quit that job? 

No, I think he had a very good lucrative job fixing school busses that actually had excellent benefits. I think he was the supervisor and was also able to hire Mark and Fred (Jackie’s husband).

He quit that job (I think) after he got a contract for drywalling a prison, since one of his partners was a minority. This was after he had often complained about how much he hated putting up drywall. 

I forgot what happened with the prison job, since that was kind of the time I stopped watching the show.

Of course in this world, I guess none of this happened.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

No, I think he had a very good lucrative job fixing school busses that actually had excellent benefits. I think he was the supervisor and was also able to hire Mark and Fred (Jackie’s husband).

He quit that job (I think) after he got a contract for drywalling a prison, since one of his partners was a minority. This was after he had often complained about how much he hated putting up drywall. 

I forgot what happened with the prison job, since that was kind of the time I stopped watching the show.

Of course in this world, I guess none of this happened.

Thanks for answering. Yeah that was stupid of Dan to quit. It seems out of character for Dan to do especially after losing the bike shop.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Thanks for answering. Yeah that was stupid of Dan to quit. It seems out of character for Dan to do especially after losing the bike shop.

Basically it was Chuck going: "Dan, look you can make more money in three months." Never also bringing up that doesn't equal more jobs will magically appear after a few months. Even though Chuck didn't force Dan to do anything and he was like: "Yes, you are right, screw this good job where I get to work on things and gave my brother-in-law and son-in-law a good in to make a living, but screw that! My family loves self sabotaging things!"

Of course now, from the way they have done things, seems Dan never worked for the city and just scored a few great jobs, the kids moved out and then everything went to hell in 2008 and they never recovered financially. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I blame the writers.

Yeah, they think its more funny for the Connors to constantly screw themselves up financially or put themselves "get poor" schemes (mostly Jackie) or they find it boring to write. Then again look at The Middle, it got to the point you were waiting for the Hecks to have their house foreclosed on the way they couldn't making smart money decisions.

• Love 2

For those saying it wouldn't be that easy for Emilio to just come back once they're married, they said in the ep that Becky would have to move to Mexico for a few years for it to possibly work. Which is just... for someone you don't love... yike.

• Love 4

After that they won the lottery. I think the prison job was originally meant to be a financial step up for the Conners until the dreadful last season when any realism went out the window and it was one Roseanne fantasy after another.

But IIRC, the Connors never shied away from talking about sex among the entire family. 

Dan and Roseanne were just as uncomfortable having those conversations with their kids as any other parent. Dan even had to have his arm twisted before he would talk to DJ about his erections in school, and Roseanne had a very awkward conversation about sex with Becky and Darlene which made both girls squirm. 

I don't think Dan talking about having sex with Louise in front of DJ signifies anything other than poor writing and/or editing. For whatever reason, DJ has never gotten any kind of attention from the writing in this show. There was no reaction because the writers either didn't think about it or something got cut.

There is no history in the original show of the Conner parents being so progressive and forward thinking they openly discussed their sex lives in front of their children. Ever. Darlene and David apparently overheard them having sex once (it was loud) and Roseanne was visibly embarrassed.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, andipandi said:

For those saying it wouldn't be that easy for Emilio to just come back once they're married, they said in the ep that Becky would have to move to Mexico for a few years for it to possibly work. Which is just... for someone you don't love... yike.

I missed a couple of episodes, so I'll have to look for that when I get to them.

There are several things I like about this version of the show (mainly Becky and Louise), but I can't get over how awful they have made Darlene. At this point, I actively want to strangle her multiple times per episode. And I can't figure out what the root of the problem is- is it the complete lack of self-awareness and humor that they've saddled her with, or is it the lack of Roseanne's domineering personality to act as a counterbalance who can knock her down a few pegs? Either way, she's so insufferable that it's affecting my reactions to other characters. For instance, I started out liking Ben, but I lose more and more respect for him with each passing episode. It's utterly beyond me how he would want to spend any time with Darlene, let alone make a commitment to her. And after watching his easy chemistry with Becky, the Ben/Darlene dynamic is even more baffling and unbelievable. I hate it.

On a positive note, Dwight 2.0 is fast becoming my favorite side character. He doesn't say much, but he always makes me laugh, and I hope he sticks around. I've actually been secretly hoping that he and Becky might get together, but I highly doubt it will happen. But a girl can dream!

• Love 11

Dan also had a city job as a supervisor in the auto maintenance area, if I remember correctly. I think he quit that job to open the bike shop?  Just another one in a series of very poor choices.   
Darlene and Becky should both be paying rent.  They ( as written) absolutely know  what Dans’ finances are.  One of them would have dealt with all the paperwork  after Roseanne’s death, including the bills.  Jackie definitely knows what Dans’ financial situation was/is because she was close to Roseanne. 

• Love 5

Dan also had a city job as a supervisor in the auto maintenance area, if I remember correctly. I think he quit that job to open the bike shop? 

Dan was still doing dry wall before he opened the bike shop. After the bike shop folded he had a series of crummy jobs (working in a men's clothing store, selling hot tubs at the fair) When he finally landed that job with the City, he should have hung on to it like grim death. Medical  benefits, pension, steady full time work where he could hand out jobs to his friends and relatives. Then he and his buddies decide to bid on a dry wall job at the new prison, a job that would last a few months, at most. And to top off that brilliant decision, he cashed in his pension and remaining sick pay to take the whole fucking family to Disney World. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Dan was still doing dry wall before he opened the bike shop. After the bike shop folded he had a series of crummy jobs (working in a men's clothing store, selling hot tubs at the fair) When he finally landed that job with the City, he should have hung on to it like grim death. Medical  benefits, pension, steady full time work where he could hand out jobs to his friends and relatives. Then he and his buddies decide to bid on a dry wall job at the new prison, a job that would last a few months, at most. And to top off that brilliant decision, he cashed in his pension and remaining sick pay to take the whole fucking family to Disney World. 

Right and even Dan went: "It's Civl Service so I have to cause a scandal to get fired." Yeah, they turn Dan into a complete idiot and even before the bike shop, he wasn't happy with just various dry wall jobs. Bike shop was a gamble, and Iggy left money for it, but it proved right there. Dan was not good as private/small business, but really the supply and demand basics. Even the dry wall with the prison, might be a huge cash out, but seriously at the most, 3-7 months top. Not constant and not like he couldn't have worked it on the side and just made minor reports, so never would have conflicted with the city job. If anything, it be where he could make extra money on the side and get ahead. Instead he quits a great job with benefits and the whole 9 yards. Then cashes in his pension 20 years early for Disney World. Talk about super dumb. Like with Jackie not wanting the desk job for the police after her injury because: "I can't do desk" yet she went from job to job where she "sat" half the time. Oh shut up!

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, readster said:

Right and even Dan went: "It's Civl Service so I have to cause a scandal to get fired." Yeah, they turn Dan into a complete idiot and even before the bike shop, he wasn't happy with just various dry wall jobs. Bike shop was a gamble, and Iggy left money for it, but it proved right there. Dan was not good as private/small business, but really the supply and demand basics. Even the dry wall with the prison, might be a huge cash out, but seriously at the most, 3-7 months top. Not constant and not like he couldn't have worked it on the side and just made minor reports, so never would have conflicted with the city job. If anything, it be where he could make extra money on the side and get ahead. Instead he quits a great job with benefits and the whole 9 yards. Then cashes in his pension 20 years early for Disney World. Talk about super dumb. Like with Jackie not wanting the desk job for the police after her injury because: "I can't do desk" yet she went from job to job where she "sat" half the time. Oh shut up!

I think the problem was in the beginning of the series Roseanne had a very good understanding of what it was like being working class and the show treated the characters with dignity.

Sure, they did not always make the best decisions but they were not stupid and pretty hard working.

As the show continued and Roseanne became rich, the characters begin to act like what rich people think of the working class. The family made one poor decision after another for no reason at all.

This show has a lot of potential but it still feels like rich people’s versions of poor people.

It makes no sense to keep an impending foreclosure secret or try to have another baby in middle age when you have no job, money, and two kids already you can not support.

It makes the audience hate the characters instead of rooting for them.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I was just watching the episode the other night.  Dan is indecisive about taking the prison job, him and Roseanne are talking. Roseanne tells him to take the prison job because they are people who take risk.....like no, the city job is pretty stable but sure convince your husband to take a risky job because all of your other decisions have turned out fine.

Roseanne argues that everything else is going fine, Darlene and her job offer, and Becky filling out college applications.. so why not take the prison job. Which just irritates me, like okay things are going well for your daughter’s but that’s them, that is there lives just because their lives are starting to shape up doesn’t mean that Roseanne needed to base the better option of Dan quitting the city job, and take up the prison job.

Exactly! Just adding how Roseann and Jackie just threw things to the wind when it came to money and stability. I also find it irksome that Chuck went to even discuss it with Dan. All he had to say he got the prison job and if Dan needed to make a few extra dollars, talk to him. Chuck KNEW Dan was a good stable life for the first time in years. He was respected enough that he got his Fred and Mark jobs there. To even think that he had to basically go: "It's us or them Dan." Then have Roseanne put Dan over with that stupid talk and POV. Showed that Dan is sadly just a guy who wants an excuse to do dumb things.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I was just watching the episode the other night.  Dan is indecisive about taking the prison job, him and Roseanne are talking. Roseanne tells him to take the prison job because they are people who take risk.....like no, the city job is pretty stable but sure convince your husband to take a risky job because all of your other decisions have turned out fine.

Roseanne argues that everything else is going fine, Darlene and her job offer, and Becky filling out college applications.. so why not take the prison job. Which just irritates me, like okay things are going well for your daughter’s but that’s them, that is there lives just because their lives are starting to shape up doesn’t mean that Roseanne needed to base the better option of Dan quitting the city job, and take up the prison job.

And that’s how you end up in your 70’s with your house not paid off, even though you bought it in your 20’s.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 9

I also find it irksome that Chuck went to even discuss it with Dan. All he had to say he got the prison job and if Dan needed to make a few extra dollars, talk to him. 

If Dan was smart he would have invested some money in Chuck's business and kept his job at the City.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2020 at 10:47 PM, rmontro said:

I'm sure no one in the modern world sees anything wrong with it, but I'd say Becky found the problem with it.  She ended up with a child she can't afford.  And it not only changed her life, but also Dan's since they're all living at his house (which is being foreclosed), and also the tias who have to watch the kid every day so Becky can work.  But hey, as long as they can have free drunken consequence-free sex, that's all that matters, right?

To be fair, Becky was prepared to give the baby up for adoption and her family told her they would help her.  I don't see her as mooching so much because they wanted to keep the baby in the family as well, so hell yes they can help her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I was just watching the episode the other night.  Dan is indecisive about taking the prison job, him and Roseanne are talking. Roseanne tells him to take the prison job because they are people who take risk.

Roseanne was also the one who pushed Dan to open the bike shop a few years earlier. He worried about the risk, but she used basically the same argument above to convince him to do it. (Just saw that episode and thought "yep.")

• Love 2

Wow it sure is getting old watching Ben kids Darlenes ass all the time.  He’s turned into this pathetic loser who is just constantly falling all over himself to prove his devotion.  What has Darlene contributed to that relationship?  I’m baffled by that whole thing.   
of course Becky is in a tough spot now.  They’re all totally irresponsible, it’s really hard to root for any of them at this point.  I remember Roseanne being the one to indulge this kind of crap before, wasn’t Dan the one who seemed more grounded and exasperated at his kids shit life choices before?  It’s like he doesn’t even notice anything going on in his house at this point.  Darlene needs to get a job, Ben needs to contribute financially if he’s going to be there all the time, Becky is farther away from being able to move but why isn’t she paying anything?  Harris can’t cover anything?  There’s 4 sometimes 5 adults living there and it’s all on an old man to worry about it?  That’s gross.  Even the characters on shameless had their shit together more than these clowns when it came to covering living expenses.  

• Love 9
(edited)

Harris can’t cover anything?

I don't particularly like the character of Harris, but they did show her working hard at her Wallyworld (sorry I have no idea what they called the walmart clone she worked at) job and she had a good plan to attend a low cost college paid for by her job, despite the fact that her mother was pushing her to consider schools they absolutely couldn't afford.  It appears she lost her Wallyworld job through no fault of her own, and she's really young.  For a kid in her late teens/early 20s she's not doing so badly.   For most of her childhood, Darlene was her only parent, since David mostly disappeared.   Which means her role model is the kind of person who got herself thrown in jail for mouthing off to a cop.   She could be doing a lot worse.

Darlene and Becky are grown women in their 40s who seem to have no qualms about living with their dad and expecting him to support them.    Darlene is unemployed since she chose to blow off a job at Wallyworld since it was beneath her, and Becky believes that it is reasonable to have a baby she can't afford and then pursue an unlikely dream of working at the restaurant.  I'm glad she's working, but now is kind of not at all the time for pursuing a dream full time.  You can pursue a dream part time if you can, but not full time.  I am way more concerned about Darlene and Becky's choices.  It also strikes me that Dan got thrown in jail for beating up Fisher after he hit Jackie, and Darlene got thrown in jail just for her arrogance.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, lexiexx said:

Ben needs to contribute financially if he’s going to be there all the time

I agree - not in a defined sense like paying rent or even any other set monthly contribution, but just in terms of not being a freeloader.  He's far beyond a guest at this point, and he seems to be there a lot (like David before he officially moved in, but without the excuse of being a teenager escaping an abusive home).  But he's also pretty much always babysitting someone (presumably for free) when he's there, so he is contributing to the household.  He's probably eating there a fair bit, though, based on his overnight visits*, so hopefully he's also doing some of the cooking and bringing over groceries sometimes.

*I still do not begin to understand them spending so many nights at "her" place that is packed to the rafters with other people when he has his own - whether the normal apartment he had back when they got into that ridiculous fight about shoes and salt, or the crappy place he was living in during his non-showering depression phase. 

• Love 5

Can’t wait to see how Dan miraculously saves the day and gets himself out of foreclosure.  I’m sure it will be realistic.  Not.

This shit pisses me off.  I work in a bank.  The people that come in the day before the foreclosure on their homes crying about how their home is gonna get taken.  YOU HAD NOTICE.  We don’t even bother to initiate legal actions until at minimum 6 months payments have not been made.  Then it takes at least another 6-12 months to foreclose and evict.  

You know that bank was calling them every day every hour.  That land line phone hanging on the wall in the kitchen they are so proud of?  That thing would be ringing off the hook.  

But nope, they chose to open a restaurant.  Not even a well established FRANCHISE.  A hole in the wall Stew (still da fuq on that) restaurant.  Only the most risky of self employment ventures.  

Whoever is coming up with this shit is dumb.  I can’t even.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 8

Another thing I'm hating about the reboot: can we please stop with the "Becky was a slut in high school" jokes? It reared it's ugly head again this week during the hickey storyline, and I groaned. It's not funny, it's certainly not true, it's insulting to the viewers who actually remember the original run, and it's very lazy writing. Enough already!

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Another thing I'm hating about the reboot: can we please stop with the "Becky was a slut in high school" jokes? It reared it's ugly head again this week during the hickey storyline, and I groaned. It's not funny, it's certainly not true, it's insulting to the viewers who actually remember the original run, and it's very lazy writing. Enough already!

No kidding, in fact outside of Mark, Becky seriously maybe had 3 boyfriends the entire run of the original series. She only slept with Mark. Darelene had like... 2 and that included David. Of course we are also trying to get that Dan and Roseanne who bought their house probably in the double digits and yes had the house for close to 40 years still don't have it paid off because they kept trying to: "Get rich" from The Lunchbox to constant unemployment. Just NOW, Dan is about to lose the house. Pride or not, there have been NO HINTS of Dan in that kind of financial problems. No money to make repairs and supporting his grown daughter and his grandchildren. Yes, I get that, but it is lazy writing with: "See how bad they are with money? They are worse than the Hecks ever were." Because working class people are idiots.

• Love 8

If Harris was grown enough to waltz out of the house and move in with her friend she’s old enough to pay some bills at her grandpops house.  She must have helped her friend because she had to move back home after she lost her job.  Now she has a new job, thanks to dan, so she should be contributing.  Really it should be on Darlene to provide for her kid but that’s not happening.  There is no reason why with four adults in the house Dan should be in this situation. 
I bet Louise is going to move in and help him.  Loiise is another character who inexplicably wants to be a part of that shitshow lol 

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, lexiexx said:

If Harris was grown enough to waltz out of the house and move in with her friend she’s old enough to pay some bills at her grandpops house.  She must have helped her friend because she had to move back home after she lost her job.  Now she has a new job, thanks to dan, so she should be contributing.  Really it should be on Darlene to provide for her kid but that’s not happening.  There is no reason why with four adults in the house Dan should be in this situation. 
I bet Louise is going to move in and help him.  Loiise is another character who inexplicably wants to be a part of that shitshow lol 

Yeah, the Connors really have a lot of people interested in them romantically considering none of them seem to bring anything to the table besides misery.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

The above-referenced scene, is my favorite John Goodman/Dan scene in the entire original run. Roseanne took Jackie to the hospital, to be checked, after Fisher assaulted her. Dan didn't say a word, just got up, walked to his coat, grabbed it, & walked out the door. We all knew he was going to take Fisher down. JG is attractive in a teddy bear way, to me, but in that scene, when he took charge, with no words, I found him to be smoking hot. I don't advocate violence, but I made an exception.

One thing that I do appreciate in the new show, is that Dan is still in love with Roseanne, & is heartbroken at her loss. Once she ended her association with the original show, I figured they'd marginalize her character, & I wouldn't blame them, her words were ridiculous. However, It would be unrealistic to have Dan move on very fast, after her death. Even the girls still reference her, as shown in "Slapgiving", or whatever that was called, when Darlene called out Jackie for always having depended on Roseanne. I know IRL Roseanne is persona non grata, but in the show-life, I'm glad that they've acknowledged her impact, & the impact of her loss.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, nkotb said:

The above-referenced scene, is my favorite John Goodman/Dan scene in the entire original run. Roseanne took Jackie to the hospital, to be checked, after Fisher assaulted her. Dan didn't say a word, just got up, walked to his coat, grabbed it, & walked out the door. We all knew he was going to take Fisher down. JG is attractive in a teddy bear way, to me, but in that scene, when he took charge, with no words, I found him to be smoking hot. I don't advocate violence, but I made an exception.

EVERY SINGLE TIME that episode is on, I watch it for that exact moment. I don't necessarily see JG as hot but I swear I duck cos I know he's about to beat the crap outta Fisher. (who did deserve it). 

• Love 5
On 4/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, RocknRollZombie said:

Oh okay sorry if it seems like we were attacking you, but yeah a different way of phrasing would have been better.

How 'bout this phrase:  It takes two to tango.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:40 AM, kitkat343 said:

I was really disgusted that Darlene had the nerve to complain about how Ben supervised her children while she was in jail.    She didn't get arrested for trying to integrate a Woolworth's lunch counter - she got arrested for mouthing off to a cop, undoubtably resulting in significant fines and court costs that she can't afford.  While trying to conceive a child she can't afford and living in her dad's home that is about to go into foreclosure.  

And then she had the nerve to criticize a parenting decision Ben had to make while she was in jail.  I was surprised he didn't say to her, "if you'd want to make all of the decisions, then you need to stay out of jail."  

In all fairness to Darlene, cops should not be able to arrest you for mouthing off. Saying rude and disrespectful things is not a crime. The fact that cops regularly abuse their power and stomp all over the rights of poor people is fucking tragic; it's not a "funny" subplot of a terrible sitcom.

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

In all fairness to Darlene, cops should not be able to arrest you for mouthing off. Saying rude and disrespectful things is not a crime. The fact that cops regularly abuse their power and stomp all over the rights of poor people is fucking tragic; it's not a "funny" subplot of a terrible sitcom.

Plus the fact the police didn't question: "Why is a teenaged girl living by herself?" Plus they would have checked to make sure the pot she had was "legal". They didn't make it at all funny and shows why cops get bad reps. 

• Love 2

Does anyone feel that this show wants to have it both ways in regards to realism?

They want to show the struggles of a working class family but have these people acting in ways that are ridiculous.

How does broke Ben and Darlene have 4 grand? Is Ben independently wealthy or has he just saved really well? A throw away line about this would help since he has not been employed for a while and the magazine is not up. 

If most of the money is his then it is horribly stupid to give to Dan.

Even if they hold off foreclosure...then what?
Are they all going to live in that house together and pitch in every month to pay the mortgage? Why the hell would Ben want to live this way?

The Roseanne house is iconic but why would an adult want to crowd into a house with his girlfriend’s family if he had other options?

I actually like Darlene’s kids better than her. The way they refused to get excited about the nice apartment because they knew it would not happen.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone feel that this show wants to have it both ways in regards to realism?

They want to show the struggles of a working class family but have these people acting in ways that are ridiculous.

How does broke Ben and Darlene have 4 grand? Is Ben independently wealthy or has he just saved really well? A throw away line about this would help since he has not been employed for a while and the magazine is not up. 

If most of the money is his then it is horribly stupid to give to Dan.

Even if they hold off foreclosure...then what?
Are they all going to live in that house together and pitch in every month to pay the mortgage? Why the hell would Ben want to live this way?

The Roseanne house is iconic but why would an adult want to crowd into a house with his girlfriend’s family if he had other options?

I actually like Darlene’s kids better than her. The way they refused to get excited about the nice apartment because they knew it would not happen.

I think you nailed it in your previous post that this is what rich people think poor people are like given that the cast and such are no longer able to relate to what it's like not to be rich.  So whatever they do now is completely out of touch with the real world and yes, ridiculous.

So they're all now acting like infantile, stuck inside their own bubble 20 year olds, which is an insult to 20 year olds, but are an example of the very worst of that generation.  And the sad thing is that these people are far older than their 20s, and far poorer than to act like they're being supported and haven't got a care in the world and when they feel like it can pull $4,000 out of the air, because that's like what "real" adults do, right? <---sarcasm  The weak attempts at making them look like responsible adults are pathetic and don't convince me.  Reminiscent of those that post on SM "Look at me, I'm "adulting"!!!  Wheeeeee".  Give the kid a gold star, someone!

And I've already gone on about how the show is actually insulting the working class now, probably without realizing it because they're so out of touch with that working class and make them look like every decision they make is yes, out of the head of an infantile, immature, responsibility-free 20 year old who reacts emotionally to everything without thinking first.  The only responsible people on the show are the children - of course, that's an old trope sitcoms love to push - the irresponsible adults and their responsible children.

And as someone who really didn't have much knowledge of this show in its first incarnation, I'm finding it incredibly hard to follow the back story on any of these people because as time goes on they bear less and less resemblance to their former selves.  I just don't understand not making the characters and storyline in this show congruent with what happened in the past.  It's pissing off the old fans understandably (I'd be pissed too) not only for lack of congruence but for sheer idiocy, plus it's confusing the hell out of anyone that just walked through the door last season.  They just won't pick a direction and stick with it.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think you nailed it in your previous post that this is what rich people think poor people are like given that the cast and such are no longer able to relate to what it's like not to be rich.  So whatever they do now is completely out of touch with the real world and yes, ridiculous.

So they're all now acting like infantile, stuck inside their own bubble 20 year olds, which is an insult to 20 year olds, but are an example of the very worst of that generation.  And the sad thing is that these people are far older than their 20s, and far poorer than to act like they're being supported and haven't got a care in the world and when they feel like it can pull $4,000 out of the air, because that's like what "real" adults do, right? <---sarcasm  The weak attempts at making them look like responsible adults are pathetic and don't convince me.  Reminiscent of those that post on SM "Look at me, I'm "adulting"!!!  Wheeeeee".  Give the kid a gold star, someone!

And I've already gone on about how the show is actually insulting the working class now, probably without realizing it because they're so out of touch with that working class and make them look like every decision they make is yes, out of the head of an infantile, immature, responsibility-free 20 year old who reacts emotionally to everything without thinking first.  The only responsible people on the show are the children - of course, that's an old trope sitcoms love to push - the irresponsible adults and their responsible children.

And as someone who really didn't have much knowledge of this show in its first incarnation, I'm finding it incredibly hard to follow the back story on any of these people because as time goes on they bear less and less resemblance to their former selves.  I just don't understand not making the characters and storyline in this show congruent with what happened in the past.  It's pissing off the old fans understandably (I'd be pissed too) not only for lack of congruence but for sheer idiocy, plus it's confusing the hell out of anyone that just walked through the door last season.  They just won't pick a direction and stick with it.

Well said.

The show lost all touch with the original when they had the whole story line with Ed Jr, with no mention of Krystal, who is his mother in the old series.

In this incarnation, Becky has always been a drunken slut, Darlene has incredible affection for a home that she always thought was a Hell hole, and nobody can think in any way that makes sense.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, qtpye said:

Well said.

The show lost all touch with the original when they had the whole story line with Ed Jr, with no mention of Krystal, who is his mother in the old series.

In this incarnation, Becky has always been a drunken slut, Darlene has incredible affection for a home that she always thought was a Hell hole, and nobody can think in any way that makes sense.

Exactly! Becky was NEVER like that. Plus, the way Ed Jr was brought back and this entire "rewriting of history" on everything MADE NO SENSE! What about Ed Jr's sister? Oh wait, much like Jerry and Andy, and even Fred, they are long forgotten. Including it seems Dan NEVER worked for the City. He has just been making one bad decision after another and the rest of the extended family have just been complete losers. Now, they have Jackie making up stories that she had an affair with Dr. Suess? It isn't funny, these people all act like they lived underground their entire lives. 

• Love 5

I agree with everyone who has pointed out (in frustration) the ret-conning of SO many details. I don't understand why there at least can't be a passing reference to absent family members ("Jerry Garcia Conner is on a boat" being the sole and isolated exception and that was just kind of ridiculous).

It's even driving me a little batty how Ben's beard disappeared 3 or 4 episodes ago, with everyone making a big deal about it (I thought he looked better, but whatever), and now it's magically back with no reference to it at all. 

That being said, I have to point out my favorite line of this episode, which is Ben yelling at Mark after the hickey reveal: "We had a deal! You were gay!!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 6