Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: California Pt. 1

Aulty

After Mateo and Cheyenne disagree on the best way to celebrate her 21st birthday, Cheyenne enlists Bo's help. Much to Garrett's chagrin, Glenn plays matchmaker to help Jerry and Sandra complete their family, and Dina attempts to help Amy keep a big secret from Jonah.

Original Air Date: 04/09/2020

After production has stopped due to the COV-19 crisis, this will probably be the season finale.

Edited by Aulty

To begin with,  I hated the Glenn and Sandra adoption storyline. Until the very end. And then:

queue reaction s GIF

[gif of woman crying and saying "it's so beautiful"]

I'm okay with Amy moving on to new things,  but I think Jonah should think carefully about what he wants. 

• Love 16

I think this would have made a good series finale (at least the Amy and Jonah part, not a good wrap up for the rest of the characters imo) Personally, I would have been satisfied if this was their ending, and I'm not sure if I'm excited about season 6. 

I wasn't crazy about the Sandra/Glenn story at first, but the end was pretty cute. I hope that's the end of Jerry and Sandra's family planning though, this show doesn't need another baby storyline. I like babies, I just dont find them to be interesting plots lol

Edited by cottoncandy
added some stuff
  • Love 12

I guess it depends on whether or not Ben Feldman is staying or going.  If he's staying, this was probably the original ending because the second half hour would tell us why he is not going.

If he's going too, then that would make sense.

• Love 5

I don't understand why Jonah had to be such a wet blanket for most of the episode. Why coudn't he just be happy for her? And I had automatically assumed that Amy would have expected him to move with her so I was surprised when she was surprised. Her kid isn't going to be happy...rousting a teenage  girl a hairs breath away from graduating with all her friends is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Welcome back EARLY seasons Garrett! Now this is the Garret I like when he serves as the voice of reason and or a Greek chorus commenting on the action like he used to do. He works best as a supporting character and not at the center of his own plots where he is written like a jerk.

Glad Bo is used sparingly...he's a one note cartoon character.

Its depressing knowing it's not going to work out...it's like the last episode of CHEERS when Shelly Long  returned and Sam and Diane was supposed to be the end game but fans got the football yanked out on that one too.

I wonder where this thing with a near grown man in Sandra's house is going.

I know there has never been a Justine centric episode but I was wondering if she ever had a strong B or C plot. I just love the character for some reason!

• Love 7

I know its a sitcom, but 2 things are bothering me:

Would Amy be able to take Parker that far away from Adam? And how is Amy climbing the corporate ladder if she doesn't have a degree? I know she was in college earlier in the series, so once she got this job I just assumed she graduated. The retail company I work for loves to promote people from within too, but at a certain point you have to get a college education. It probably won't be addressed, but that was bugging me. 

Edited by cottoncandy
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, cottoncandy said:

Would Amy be able to take Parker that far away from Adam? And how is Amy climbing the corporate ladder if she doesn't have a degree? I know she was in college earlier in the series, so once she got this job I just assumed she graduated. The retail company I work for loves to promote people from within too, but at a certain point you have to get a college education. It probably won't be addressed, but that was bugging me. 

I also was bothered by the custody considerations. As for the degree, I can handwave it, since she has been in the company for 17 years. But she'll probably be encouraged to get a bachelor's, I imagine.

I can't blame Jonah for not immediately jumping on the supportive train--he was blindsided by the interview, and found out that she wanted to take it pretty much immediately. Amy clearly doesn't think their relationship is at a point that this would be a discussion between partners. I don't necessarily blame her, but if I were Jonah, I'd also be hurt by that.

• Love 14

I like this as a finale, but I'm very curious how they were going to finish this storyline to let America go and keep Ben. I'm also curious how America's contract works now that the season was truncated - if she'll be back next season (whenever that is) because she didn't finish the last couple episodes or if she's just done.

It's upsetting that Amy wouldn't tell Jonah that she had an interview because I feel like that's just normal couple conversation over dinner or whatever. I mean, hasn't he been living at her house for at least a season of the show? It also felt weird that she didn't think he'd want to come with her since his job is retail and he could go anywhere (also has a college degree and could use the opportunity to stop working at Cloud 9 if he wanted).

Is there a reason why Amy's big kid (can't remember her name) couldn't live with Adam for her final high school year(s)? I know he's always got a random job, but he has to live somewhere and Amy could pay child support for him to upgrade as needed. I mean, I know she'd miss her kid, but the kid is old enough to make some decisions too.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, cottoncandy said:

And how is Amy climbing the corporate ladder if she doesn't have a degree? I know she was in college earlier in the series, so once she got this job I just assumed she graduated. The retail company I work for loves to promote people from within too, but at a certain point you have to get a college education. It probably won't be addressed, but that was bugging me. 

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing because through all my years of working retail I remember the furthest anyone could go without a BA was assistant manager. Even store managers needed degrees. And now she's moving on to corporate without even an associates degree? I don't buy it. Unless Walmart/Cloud 9 is different.

I think Amy's reason for taking the job is valid: she's been with the company for 17 years and (probably more importantly) she doesn't have connections that will help her climb the ladder. So she has to do it on her own and grab the opportunity when it comes along. However, when she pissly told Jonah she's taking the job, it seemed like she didn't give a crap about him. They've been in a relationship for a few years now and they live together but she was basically going to dump him and move to CA without him. I don't think she cares about their relationship as much as he does. And now the poor fool is going to follow her to CA? I don't think this is going to end the way Jonah would like it to.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, springbarb said:

I can't blame Jonah for not immediately jumping on the supportive train--he was blindsided by the interview, and found out that she wanted to take it pretty much immediately. Amy clearly doesn't think their relationship is at a point that this would be a discussion between partners. I don't necessarily blame her, but if I were Jonah, I'd also be hurt by that.

I agree.  I think it's natural to feel ambivalent. I felt that way when I first got a job that would put me on my chosen career path even though it's such a competitive field and he's not even the one getting the job. 

And it sounds like Amy didn't discuss the logistics of the job in advance regarding Jonah or her kids.  And it sounds like she didn't discuss them with Jonah or her ex before deciding to take the job.  She has excellent reasons for wanting to take the job but those she loves haven't gotten a chance to think about what it'd mean for them.

I think the tricky part is going to be coming up with a believable reason why Jonah doesn't go.  Is it going to be his activism that he won't want to give up?  Because I can't believe he's married to the town and the retail job he could get elsewhere.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I have a bigger problem with her getting the offer after a single interview.

This episode made it clear that nobody on the writing staff knows how corporate job interviews work. For a director level position there would be multiple rounds, and at least one full-day "loop" (i.e. five or six one-hour individual interviews plus lunch) onsite. There would definitely not be any scenario in which several candidates are told to show up at the same time.

54 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the tricky part is going to be coming up with a believable reason why Jonah doesn't go.  Is it going to be his activism that he won't want to give up?  Because I can't believe he's married to the town and the retail job he could get elsewhere.

It would actually be funny if Jonah does go to Silicon Valley, gets a retail job, and realizes that most of the people there are as "woke" and progressive as he is. He can't stand not being able to feel superior to them, so he goes back to KC and gets his old Cloud9 job back.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, cottoncandy said:

The one I worked for had long-term GM’s without college degrees.  I always felt a little bad for them because this was literally the best they could ever do.  One is a good friend of mine and has been with the company since he was 16.  He’s tried to apply for comparable jobs with other companies, but everyone wants the college degree.  He works too much to actually step back and get one.  He’s in his 30’s and this is it for him.  Good money but I can’t imagine it.  He has enough personality that he might be able to weasel himself into a District Manager position like Jeff had, but there’s no way he could even dream about headquarters.

• Love 1

Maybe they offer Jonah the manager job Amy had, and he takes it. The idea that CA isn't woke enough compared to wherever they are right now? Yeah, that's hilarious. I think he was just saying that, when they were riffing on how the job wasn't going to happen. It was like a sour grapes kind of thing "we don't want to live there anyway!"

And really, Jonah being upset that Amy worked for a big corporation doesn't really add up when she already works for them. So does he, for that matter.

I think it was more that she didn't talk to him about it, because you know he would have talked to her. So he felt how he's more invested than she is, and that is kind of a blow to find out, especially once you're living together, and such a big part of each other's lives-- he's essentially step-parent to her kids, and really his whole life revolves around her.

The reluctance to move doesn't really add up, because that I think Jonah would fit in even better in CA than where they are now, what besides Amy does Jonah really have going on in his life? It's not like he is close to his family and would have to move away from them, or his career is super-important to him and that would take a hit by moving. He can certainly be an activist in CA, and get a retail job there if he wants one.

Either the writing doesn't make sense, or it's a prelude to him realizing he's more invested than she is, and he can't uproot for her if she doesn't really see him as her partner.

It's tough when an actor wants out and the writers need to come up with some total change in direction to justify it. The obvious thing is for them to get married and move together. But that means firing Ben and losing Jonah, which they probably don't want to do.

• Love 4

They should’ve ended this show. Would’ve been fine to end it there. Now tho they are pretending everything is good with Jonah and Amy and I was almost happy but then I remembered Ben Feldman is not leaving the show so it’s just a jerk storyline and when the show finally does come back they won’t be together. Makes me not like this show honestly. Stop fucking around.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe they offer Jonah the manager job Amy had, and he takes it. The idea that CA isn't woke enough compared to wherever they are right now? Yeah, that's hilarious. I think he was just saying that, when they were riffing on how the job wasn't going to happen. It was like a sour grapes kind of thing "we don't want to live there anyway!"

I didn't mean CA won't be woke enough, I meant it will be too woke. Jonah's whole self-perception is tied up in being the woke one. Most of the people he'll meet in CA will be just like him, so he won't be able to feel special and unique anymore like he does at the Kansas City Cloud9. At least that would be a plausible comedic way to explain him not staying in CA (because AFAIK, Ben Feldman is not leaving the show). 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I didn't mean CA won't be woke enough, I meant it will be too woke. Jonah's whole self-perception is tied up in being the woke one. Most of the people he'll meet in CA will be just like him, so he won't be able to feel special and unique anymore like he does at the Kansas City Cloud9. At least that would be a plausible comedic way to explain him not staying in CA (because AFAIK, Ben Feldman is not leaving the show). 

Sorry--  I wasn't clear. I understood what you were saying, and I agree!

I meant that when Jonah was talking with Amy about how CA isn't for him because of their water management policies (i.e. he thinks they aren't woke enough), I thought that was ridiculous. 

• Love 4

Ben Feldman was so good at showing Jonah's emotion through his facial expression in this episode - especially during that scene with Amy in her office.

I doubt that I will like wherever they decide to take Jonah next and the reason for him to stay in the store. Its bound to be some social justice warrior story thats not going to marry well with Amy's cooporate career. I also expect a proposal, an off camera wedding and then long distancing between the two for the next couple of seasons ...

Glenn was so pushy, but the last scene with Sandra and the kid was really sweet.

• Love 5

As much as I loved that ending and have watched it multiple times, it frustrates me to no end Amy is (was!) never willing to talk about their relationship or future. They’re not dating. They live together and Jonah is helping raise Parker. That’s a serious commitment to involve someone in a baby’s life (or it should be). It’s also weird she was surprised he’d move with her. What did she want to happen if she got that job? Jonah deserved to be looped in.

• Love 14

Glen was being super annoying and invasive with Sandra. Sandra being put in precarious situations is funny when not literally forced upon her. 

The Amy and Jonah moment at the end was sweet, but ultimately gratuitous considering America is exiting but Ben isn't. Unless they keep them together off screen - which shows very rarely (if ever?) do - the episode should've setup their breakup instead of dangling the carrot with Jonah saying he's going with her. 

In any case, Amy's absence is going to leave a big hole to the shows detriment. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe they offer Jonah the manager job Amy had, and he takes it.

I hadn't considered this before last night, but the writers really had Dina lean into the idea that Jonah makes no money, and has basically nothing to offer, other than being Amy's support system. And would anybody be shocked it the white, upper class, business school dropout got offered the job?

And, as story lines go, would Manager Jonah really be all that different from Manager Amy?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There would definitely not be any scenario in which several candidates are told to show up at the same time.

It was a visual gag.  Amy's outburst during her interview doesn't work if we haven't seen the room full of Latina women.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

And would anybody be shocked it the white, upper class, business school dropout got offered the job?

Jonah can't be the manager. He doesn't have the qualifications. Amy had to go to that manageer training seminar. But also with the actress's departure, the show will need new blood. I am 100% sure they will bring in a new character to be the new manager.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Welcome back EARLY seasons Garrett! Now this is the Garret I like when he serves as the voice of reason and or a Greek chorus commenting on the action like he used to do. He works best as a supporting character and not at the center of his own plots where he is written like a jerk.

I loved when Sandra called Jerry and Garrett was like, "He could've said anything and we wouldn't know!" Oh, Sandra.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

Recent interviews with the showrunners appear to contradict this.

Which interview are you referring to? I just read two and there were no indications for that but if there is some other interview with more info on the upcoming season it would be great to se it.

https://www.tvinsider.com/931948/superstore-season-5-finale-amy-leaving-america-ferrera/

https://deadline.com/2020/04/superstore-season-finale-america-ferrera-jonathan-green-gabe-miller-nbc-season-5-1202915009/

• Useful 1

"We're lucky to have a large, strong ensemble that has established dynamics between the characters. We're excited to explore those and go even deeper with those characters that we do have. We're just starting to talk about possibly bringing in another character at some point in the season, but if we did, we wouldn't view it as replacing Amy. We would just see it as a way to kick up the dynamics with our other characters as a series would often do when it's been around for several seasons."

'Superstore' Bosses Break Down the Amy & Jonah Finale Cliffhanger and America Ferrera's Return

Doesn't sound like they've got a set plan to bring in someone new.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I am 100% sure they will bring in a new character to be the new manager.

I think Garrett might be an interesting choice, not least because it would make him Dinah's boss. But they will probably reinstate Glenn or choose someone left field like Sandra. Alhtough Sayid and his schlong should be in the running too.

• Love 1

So wait . . . Dina knew about the interview because Zephra called her for a reference on Amy? Since when does a company call someone's employee to get a reference on their boss?? I'd be inclined to chalk this us to sloppy writing, but the show made it clear that Zephra was only interviewing Latina candidates, trying to fill some sort of diversity quota. Which makes calling Dina about Amy even more problematic.

It might not be a bad idea to write Jonah off with Amy, and bring in a couple of new characters. Fresh blood might be just the thing this show needs. It definitely needs some sort of infusion. Better writers would help too.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Harvey said:

As much as I loved that ending and have watched it multiple times, it frustrates me to no end Amy is (was!) never willing to talk about their relationship or future. They’re not dating. They live together and Jonah is helping raise Parker. That’s a serious commitment to involve someone in a baby’s life (or it should be). It’s also weird she was surprised he’d move with her. What did she want to happen if she got that job? Jonah deserved to be looped in.

This is my biggest problem. I binged this show in a couple weeks about a month ago (thank you quarantine!) and if you just picked up today's episode, you'd have no idea they are even together. I'm not saying it's gotta be Jim/Pam with the bringing the kids to work or whatever. But I just don't understand the idea of dating someone to the point where you are living together and raising a child together (even if he isn't the biological father), but something like your new corporate parent company calls you for an interview and it doesn't even come up at the dinner table? And not only that, but now you're lying about where you are during the day? 

Not to go too off book, but it reminds of when Luke found out he had a kid on "Gilmore Girls." Regardless of the way it would have played out eventually, I was just struck at how odd it was that some girl came into his crowded diner in the middle of the day and took his hair to test if he's her biological father and it just....didn't come up with his fiancee ever. Not at dinner that night, no one in the town brought it up, just...nothing. What kind of relationship is that?

If the creators of this show want us to believe that Amy/Jonah was the "heart" or whatever (it's obviously Sandra/Jerry!), they've got to show us better behavior from them. Why should I believe they are a good couple if they don't believe that?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Since when does a company call someone's employee to get a reference on their boss??

I guess it depends on the role.  Companies can reach out to people who are not on a person's official reference list if they feel like they might have something useful to offer.  I think this is especially true when the move is within a corporation and so they know the reporting relationships better than someone from the outside.

I'm surprised they didn't contact Glenn as he's not only someone who supervised Amy but was supervised by her. 

• Love 3

My thought through the whole thing- “Wow, Amy really doesn’t give a shit about Jonah.”

I hope he realizes that, and that’s why he doesn’t go with her. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PJ123 said:

As an adoptive parent, put me in the extreme dislike side with the Glenn-Sandra story line.  Found NO humor in it at all and I hope it is never brought up again.

While not a parent, I shared that too. I can only imagine that it is such a huge decision that must be given the utmost consideration and not made out of pressure. I at least appreciated that Garrett was trying to get Sandra to stop letting Glenn persuade her. He's her manager and he also knows that she has difficulties saying no. Glenn compounded the issue by bringing the kid there. 

• Love 1

I must have missed something but why was a job that takes place in California holding interviews in St. Louis? Unless Amy flew to CA and back in the span of her normal workday but that would make even less sense.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Doesn't sound like they've got a set plan to bring in someone new.

Girl what? Literally in the quote you posted they say they will bring in a new person 😄 I am not trying to pick a fight but what even it is literally there. Obviously the new person does not necessarily need be there forever, it can even be a temporary replacement for laughs like the lots of changing captains in brooklyn 99 if you watch that. It's the same trope with the new character changing up the dynamic of the workplace since there is a lot of humor to be mined from that.

"We're lucky to have a large, strong ensemble that has established dynamics between the characters. We're excited to explore those and go even deeper with those characters that we do have. We're just starting to talk about possibly bringing in another character at some point in the season, but if we did, we wouldn't view it as replacing Amy. We would just see it as a way to kick up the dynamics with our other characters as a series would often do when it's been around for several seasons."

25 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Girl what? Literally in the quote you posted they say they will bring in a new person 😄 I

They said that they're just starting to talk about "possibly" bringing in a character, "at some point" next season.

So, no. They don't have a set plan to bring someone in.

So, no. They don't have a set plan to bring someone in.

Well, they should. They are losing a main character, they need to fill the void. There needs to be a POV character that recognizes how absurd everyone else is. 

22 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

I must have missed something but why was a job that takes place in California holding interviews in St. Louis? Unless Amy flew to CA and back in the span of her normal workday but that would make even less sense.

The last place I worked once sent managers around the country to interview candidates instead of flying them to us. They said it would be cheaper but it was a joke. They flew first class, stayed in five star hotels, and went to football and basketball games on the company dime.

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, Maya said:

My thought through the whole thing- “Wow, Amy really doesn’t give a shit about Jonah.”

I hope he realizes that, and that’s why he doesn’t go with her. 

We can dream. In all likelihood, they'll get married in the hiatus (or with COVID, in the probable time jump after America's last episode) and then come up with a contrived reason to bring him back to St. Louis and give him some throwaway lines about spending weekends with Amy. They wouldn't be giving them a(n unearned) sappy finale edit if they weren't staying together. Jonah's entire character exists to be inexplicably devoted to Amy, despite her being the most emotionally unavailable character on the show. The writers would never undo five seasons of "love story" because the actress decided to leave. They wouldn't let him aimlessly date around for the rest of the show's run, He'll just be like Cheyenne and have an offscreen marriage, which is a shame, because I'd like to see him with...anyone who wasn't cold and dismissive of him all the time.

20 hours ago, DrScottie said:

While not a parent, I shared that too. I can only imagine that it is such a huge decision that must be given the utmost consideration and not made out of pressure. I at least appreciated that Garrett was trying to get Sandra to stop letting Glenn persuade her. He's her manager and he also knows that she has difficulties saying no. Glenn compounded the issue by bringing the kid there. 

I mean, the entire plot involved Glenn peddling a teen like a shelter dog he had to rehome in the next 12 hours, which is definitely not how adoption works, so we can't exactly get mired down in realism, lol. It was just another "Sandra gets bullied into something no reasonable person would do because she's a pushover" plot, which can be kind of uncomfortable to watch (they're usually mean, cringey, and mocking Sandra), so I was glad to see her end up happy regardless.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There needs to be a POV character that recognizes how absurd everyone else is. 

Apparently, that's gonna be Garrett:

“I think we’re looking to use some of the space and energy that went to Amy and to spread that a little more around the cast,” says Miller. “We’ll get a little deeper into those characters and see their dynamics with each other and have them stepping up and looking out for each other. Garrett is someone who can be the ‘sensible’ stand-in for viewers as he reacts to the more crazy elements [of his co-workers]. Glenn has had a parental role, looking out for the staff, at times.

We should probably have a Speculation/Spoilers thread for this stuff. 

I'm with everyone who was creeped out by how Glenn was shopping his foster son.  They could have played this so much better, like he was a looking for a temporary place until he turned 18 and went to college.  But even then, when Sandra is not an approved foster parent and Glenn is, it didn't make sense.

The Cheyenne and Mateo plotline didn't really wrap up so much as end.  I didn't care for it that much.  There was one nice touch - in the ad video for the party one of the stock photos still had a water mark in the middle of it like they pulled it off a website without buying it.

If they need to bring a character into a more central role I vote for Sayid.  Not as manager, but as a regular.

Brett as Easter Bunny "Eggwin" made me laugh.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:41 AM, possibilities said:

And really, Jonah being upset that Amy worked for a big corporation doesn't really add up when she already works for them. So does he, for that matter.

Right now Jonah can claim that they are part of the proletariat, and not suits.  They are the working class underdogs in his story who are covertly promoting unionization.  I liked that they brought up how big a deal this would be for someone in Amy's position, and that Jonah should not be treating her as a sell-out for taking a position that will benefit her family.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, iMonrey said:

Since when does a company call someone's employee to get a reference on their boss??

I've heard of this, especially for upper level posts.

I am taking AMy's side on this one with Jonah.

I think she knew if she told him about the job opportunity he would get all uppity and go on and on about big corporations and how she is being a sell out, which is exactly what happened and how he reacted when he did find out.  He was a total asshole.  Not supportive and thinking only of himself and his feelings about "big corporations", not thinking at all about her feelings and what a big change this was for her.  She didn't want to hear it or deal with it, so she just didn't tell him until she had to do so. 

I truly don't care about the two of them together and have not really thought they made that great of a couple, so whatever happens, fine by me.  But Jonah's response to her was not so much about "I can't believe you didn't tell me" but more condescending liberal asswipe "I can't believe you are taking such a job in corporate America"  So I don't blame Amy one bit.  The exact reaction Jonah gave her I think was what she knew would happen, what she was trying to avoid and what she didn't want to hear. 

As for the rest about the unrealistic nature of the interviews, yes, all true, but typical TV.  The same with the adoption storyline.  Doesn't work like that, but whatever. 

So Amy gets an offer after just one interview? What was I doing in my last job hunt, doing phone and Skype interviews before doing multiple in person interviews before getting a job interview, when I could have gotten that job in five minutes if I had just called the people I was interviewing with racist! 

I know its sitcom silliness, but that does seem to be a bit much. I do like this as an ending for Amy's character, and I am curious about what happens with Jonah. Does he stay or does he go?

Glenn trying to force his almost grown up former foster kid on Sandra was super cringy, but I admit the ending was adorable. Sandra saves the day again!

OK, I'll admit it... I actually liked this episode.  It's a sitcom, so I'm willing to do a lot of handwaiving as far as how high level corporate interviews are supposed to work, or the issues with adoption.  I actually thought the waiting room full of Latinas was rather funny, and loved how Amy was trying to play the Latina card but just couldn't do it.  I also really loved the conversation Amy & Jonah had towards the end (as she was unshelving all the butt-less easter bunnies).  Jonah's entire demeanor changed, and with it his physical look also did.  He actually looked like a full grown adult to me for the first time.

As for the adoption plotline, yeah, it was totally unrealistic.  But it was consistent with Glenn's character and Sandra's (overbearing and doormat), and it had such a sweet ending. 

On 4/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, North of Eden said:

Yes!  This!  I love the comparison of Garrett to a Greek chorus!  That really is his role, and he does it so so well.  I loved his line to Sandra about how Jerry could have said anything on that phone call...

I sort of wish they'd just write off Jonah's character to go to CA with Amy.  But I know that's not happening.   I think the show can survive without Amy, but I think writing in a reason for Jonah to stay is going to be awkward. 

• Love 6