Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Hand-Off

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing on March 22, 2020:

Nolan is having a particularly bad day after learning his identity has been stolen and could jeopardize his position as an officer. Grey must confront his past and testify at the parole hearing of the man who shot him and murdered his partner.

1) If your college fund is stolen, apply for financial aid.  You make a cop's salary.  Henry will probably get something, at least.

2) If you sell the comics collection, you'll have to pay taxes on it.  Better to legally get the seller to refund the money in return for the comics, since they were purchased with stolen money. (Assuming he still has the money.)

3) The convicted murderer would not be hanging out hugging his wife and kid just because he's up for parole.  So ridiculous!

4) One reason Rachel would want to know about her health status is if she wants to have kids.  That would definitely be Tim's business, too, if he wants kids.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, Driad said:

Maybe I missed an ep or two, but I had not known about Tim Bradford's girlfriend Rachel.  Can someone fill me in please?

She's a friend of Chen's and a social worker (I think).  They had her in a few episodes at the beginning of the season but she's been MIA for a few months now, so understandable that you didn't know about her.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

1) If your college fund is stolen, apply for financial aid.  You make a cop's salary.  Henry will probably get something, at least.

that takes time and certainly won't cover what Nolan had saved.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Maybe I missed an ep or two, but I had not known about Tim Bradford's girlfriend Rachel.  Can someone fill me in please?

Chen bet Bradford she could set him up with a date with someone who he actually liked. She won the bet. However, Bradford and Rachel tried to pretend they hated each other, so Bradford wouldn't have to admit that Chen had been right. It was all pretty cutesy.

• Love 8

Seth Green's hair and makeup (didn't match his neck) looked weird.  

Did Jordan foolishly tell the criminals the watch was being tracked! Too bad he didn't know the guy's reputation with a machete. That was some quick amputation!

"Hand-Off"? And they had to show one! Those "clever" writers!

So the father didn't trust Bradford could make a routine arrest, knew the suspect would run and waited by the gate (somehow this out of towner is a quick learner of this area and is in great shape to get to that spot)?

West is the only cop that can catalog evidence? 

The pilot in the police helicopter took his sweet time to warn Harper.

Shocked Rachel is staying! I would have thought the writers brought her back this episode to say goodbye in order to make way for Bradford/Chen. 

Why is Smitty a cop?

The kid was allowed to bring his ball and glove into courtroom?

That was some ensemble the basement detective was wearing!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

It would also be too late to apply for financial aid for the current semester or even next year. The application deadline is usually during the first week in March.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

It would also be too late to apply for financial aid for the current semester or even next year. The application deadline is usually during the first week in March.

Of course with the corona virus....
I kept thinking how this episode would have been different in so many ways.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

2) If you sell the comics collection, you'll have to pay taxes on it.  Better to legally get the seller to refund the money in return for the comics, since it was purchased with stolen money. (Assuming he still has the money.)

If he keeps them for a year before he sells them, the taxes would be 15% instead of the 39% he'd have to pay if he sold them immediately.

Edited by eel21788
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

4) One reason Rachel would want to know about her health status is if she wants to have kids.  That would definitely be Tim's business, too, if he wants kids.

There is a 50% chance that she is not carrying the gene and thus neither will any of her offspring. I do understand her rationale for not wanting to be tested; however, I'd get so much piece of mind if the test came back negative. I'd being willing to risk finding out the worst knowing that it also might be possible for me to learn that I never have to worry about it again. Besides, if I did have the gene, I could also have the hope that medical science would have advanced beyond where it is today by the time I started developing symptoms.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

If he keeps them for a year before he sells them, the taxes would be 15% instead of the 39% he'd have to pay is he sold them immediately.

--which is an excellent example of how the rich can afford to get richer while the poor are lucky if they break even.

But Nolan could just rent out a room in that mansion-sized house of his to make enough money to pay for tuition. Then his kid might have to get 3 jobs like my youngest and oldest did to pay for housing. My middle kid didn't work in college and is now approaching middle age unemployed and on the verge of being homeless.  

Sorry. I forgot to turn off my reality-ometer while watching.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

If he keeps them for a year before he sells them, the taxes would be 15% instead of the 39% he'd have to pay is he sold them immediately.

Is this a capital gains tax situation? If Nolan re-sells the comics for exactly $147K then there would be no tax consequences...

• Useful 2
23 minutes ago, paigow said:

Is this a capital gains tax situation? If Nolan re-sells the comics for exactly $147K then there would be no tax consequences...

The IRS won't see it that way. They'd say the comic books were a gift making Nolan's basis $0. Even if he sold them for less than the $147k the thief paid for them, it would be considered to be a profit for Nolan and, therefore, taxable income.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Did Jordan foolishly tell the criminals the watch was being tracked! Too bad he didn't know the guy's reputation with a machete. That was some quick amputation!

I think the thug figured it out when he realized he was being followed. I don't think Jordan realized it until the watch was being "removed" from his body.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:
2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

Sure, but Henry's "dream school" is likely an elite one that doesn't throw people out when there's been a drastic change of circumstances.  They would work with him.  This happens sometimes when a parent becomes too ill to work, or loses a job.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

That was some quick amputation!

Which could have easily killed him, rendering him unable to do what they wanted him to.  It made no sense at all.  (It also didn't seem like the doctors tried to reattach the hand.)

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

The kid wouldn't have been at the parole hearing at all.  He had nothing to contribute.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Seth Green's hair and makeup (didn't match his neck) looked weird.  

"Hand-Off"? And they had to show one! Those "clever" writers!

So the father didn't trust Bradford could make a routine arrest, knew the suspect would run and waited by the gate (somehow this out of towner is a quick learner of this area and is in great shape to get to that spot)?

West is the only cop that can catalog evidence? 

The pilot in the police helicopter took his sweet time to warn Harper.

Shocked Rachel is staying! I would have thought the writers brought her back this episode to say goodbye in order to make way for Bradford/Chen. 

Why is Smitty a cop?

That was some ensemble the basement detective was wearing!

See, I read some stuff on twitter That makes me think this is just the beginning with the whole Bradford/Rachel ordeal. But that’s for the spoiler section.

Lopez and Grey did make me all emotional 😭 

Without spoilers, I can see some very uncomfortable ways they could get Rachel off scene in order to make room for Chen.  It was amusing that her dad was exactly the same kind of jerk Bradford can be.  You'd think as a social worker, she'd be able to see that and would run a mile.

• Love 2

I was very disturbed by Seth Green's appearance.  He looked like a wax statue of himself, and his hair looked like a wig.  I just didn't take Seth Green to be a botox and fillers kind of guy.  Maybe the character was supposed to be a botox and fillers kind of guy?  Maybe this is one of Seth Green's performance art/joke pieces?  I seem to recall he likes to mess with people like that.

Who was the basement detective?  He looked familiar.

Were the cops in the helicopter just enjoying the show, or like every telecom I've been on forgot they were on mute?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Rachel definitely wanted a man like her Dad. Many people end up with someone just like their Mom or Dad. 

The next clever episode title should be "Greek Tragedy"...

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, auntiemel said:

I loved Lucy's delivery on the line, "Smokehouse, huh? I...love their bread." 🤣

I interpreted that scene as if Lucy was wishing it could be Tim taking her to the restaurant instead. Cute scene though.

6 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He was also Dr. John Deegan in the CW "Elseworlds" crossover.

I also remember him from the god awful final season of Sleepy Hollow. After such a promising start that show really fell off the tracks quickly.  

Thankfully I'm happy that the Rookie seems to have found it's niche this season and has been consistent. Ratings were great last night again for the Rookie. 

Edited by Thomas Crown
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, preeya said:
7 hours ago, paigow said:

Jeremy Davies

Faraday on LOST.

Yep. Even with the facial hair, 15 years later I had no problem recognizing him as Faraday (although I couldn't recall the character's name).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was very disturbed by Seth Green's appearance.  He looked like a wax statue of himself, and his hair looked like a wig.  I just didn't take Seth Green to be a botox and fillers kind of guy.  Maybe the character was supposed to be a botox and fillers kind of guy?  Maybe this is one of Seth Green's performance art/joke pieces?  I seem to recall he likes to mess with people like that.

Who was the basement detective?  He looked familiar.

Were the cops in the helicopter just enjoying the show, or like every telecom I've been on forgot they were on mute?

Yeah, I looked at him and thought, what the hell happened to him?  He looks like a plasticine version of himself.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yep. Even with the facial hair, 15 years later I had no problem recognizing him as Faraday (although I couldn't recall the character's name).

I recognized him from his very distinctive, whispery voice.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, eel21788 said:

There is a 50% chance that she is not carrying the gene and thus neither will any of her offspring. I do understand her rationale for not wanting to be tested; however, I'd get so much piece of mind if the test came back negative. I'd being willing to risk finding out the worst knowing that it also might be possible for me to learn that I never have to worry about it again. Besides, if I did have the gene, I could also have the hope that medical science would have advanced beyond where it is today by the time I started developing symptoms.

It's a devastating disease.  Finding out one has it means no life insurance, among many other things.  However, it seems unlikely that Rachel's father had her before both his father and sister were diagnosed, considering his sister was only in her 20's.  That would have been the time for him to either get tested, or forego having biological children.

• Love 3

They made such a big deal out of short sleeves that now they have all the actors in jackets instead of the long sleeved uniform presumably because it was too cold for everybody but Eric Winter

• Love 2
On 3/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, eel21788 said:

The IRS won't see it that way. They'd say the comic books were a gift making Nolan's basis $0. Even if he sold them for less than the $147k the thief paid for them, it would be considered to be a profit for Nolan and, therefore, taxable income.

As I understood the scene, Seth was going to swear that he bought the comic books with the money he stole from Nolan, so it would be seen as a reimbursement of stolen funds, not income.

22 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Without spoilers, I can see some very uncomfortable ways they could get Rachel off scene in order to make room for Chen.  It was amusing that her dad was exactly the same kind of jerk Bradford can be.  You'd think as a social worker, she'd be able to see that and would run a mile.

Unless she likes her dad. It happens, even for those who are jerks.

12 hours ago, preeya said:

He also played Charles Manson in Helter Skelter and Faraday on LOST.

I definitely recognized him from Lost.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

They made such a big deal out of short sleeves that now they have all the actors in jackets instead of the long sleeved uniform presumably because it was too cold for everybody but Eric Winter

Guess he runs hot. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's a devastating disease.  Finding out one has it means no life insurance, among many other things.  

You can still buy the type of policy that Alex Trebek is always advertising for. As I said before, I understand why she would make that decision. It just isn't the decision I would make given the same situation.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As I understood the scene, Seth was going to swear that he bought the comic books with the money he stole from Nolan, so it would be seen as a reimbursement of stolen funds, not income.

However, the IRS still won't see it that way. They intend to get money out of you no matter what. If he tried to fight them on it, I can't see LAPD being okay with "one of their own" going through an income tax evasion debacle. After all, the police department said a low credit score was a fire-able offense.

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought that he said that so that instead of the comic books being sold and the proceeds joining those from the sale of other such articles, which would eventually be split up among all the victims, Nolan would get all the proceeds from the comics.

Did they seriously have a scene where Chen GOOGLED fucking HUNTINGTON'S? Was that seriously the best that the writers could come up with to explain what Hungtinton's was? Chen, a well-educated child of doctors looking it up on her phone and reading what Wikipedia said?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, eel21788 said:

However, the IRS still won't see it that way.

Is the IRS going to audit everyone who sold something on that AMC series Comic Book Men?

Or Pawn Stars?

5 hours ago, paigow said:

Is the IRS going to audit everyone who sold something on that AMC series Comic Book Men?

Or Pawn Stars?

The comic book store is going to send a 1099-B for the sale to the IRS. If that sale doesn't show up on a tax return, the IRS will find it. 

• Love 1

Our business was required to have a name and address (from government issued ID) for anything we bought. We were in the  philatelic business both retail and auction.

Same with pawn shops, coin dealers, anyone buying and selling second hand goods. This was a municipal bylaw though. 
I believe our auction consignors would be getting income tax forms for their sales. Most of our over the counter purchases were fairly low value (under $1000) because we preferred to push those to auction, where the seller would do better, and more importantly our capital would not be tied up.

• Useful 3

A google search told me that if I received restitution from a criminal, it is not taxable for me.

If a business has to pay criminal restitution, the business cannot claim a deduction for business expenses and their payments are therefore taxable to them.

🙂  And also, I suspend belief to a certain extent anyway on this show as it's not always the most accurate.  In the Rookie universe, criminal restitution isn't taxable apparently and him signing over the comic books was a great thing for Nolan to recover at least part of his money quickly.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

A google search told me that if I received restitution from a criminal, it is not taxable for me.

However, it would not be considered restitution if the transaction wasn't ordered by the court. Like said before, the IRS will find a way to get their money. 

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 2:31 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Sure, but Henry's "dream school" is likely an elite one that doesn't throw people out when there's been a drastic change of circumstances.  They would work with him.  This happens sometimes when a parent becomes too ill to work, or loses a job.

It said 149k was taken out of the bank account - so let's say Henry has been in college for 3 semesters, and this was going to pay for his 4th semester. 149k divided by 5 semesters - $29,800 a semester, so let's round it up to 30k a semester tuition. That's like Princeton tuition cost.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Thomas Crown said:

I also remember him from the god awful final season of Sleepy Hollow. After such a promising start that show really fell off the tracks quickly.  

Sleepy Hollow is one of the few shows where I wish it hadn't gotten renewed past the first season - then it would've been a great "What if it had gotten renewed?" show, instead of.... that.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, eel21788 said:

You can still buy the type of policy that Alex Trebek is always advertising for. As I said before, I understand why she would make that decision. It just isn't the decision I would make given the same situation.

Those policies are only available when you hit a certain age (I believe Colonial Life is minimum age 40) - younger than that, and you have to try to find a policy to cover you. Young adults with cancer and other conditions get screwed over (Especially people with chronic cancers!)

Edited by bros402
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Sleepy Hollow is one of the few shows where I wish it hadn't gotten renewed past the first season - then it would've been a great "What if it had gotten renewed?" show, instead of.... that.

Amen. I stopped watching after the third season, and am surprised I kept watching that long.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, Clanstarling said:

Amen. I stopped watching after the third season, and am surprised I kept watching that long.

I watched the entire thing because of Jeremy Davies

and, well, John Noble is an amazing actor.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

I watched the entire thing because of Jeremy Davies

and, well, John Noble is an amazing actor.

I stopped watching before Davies was in the show - didn't even know he was. And even though I love John Noble, I grew to hate his character in SH as well. Which told me I could blame everything on the showrunners. LOL

• Love 1

Hey, everyone, I let this go on for a little bit, but let's get back to talking about this episode. If you wish to discuss Sleepy Hollow and its turning to crap, please feel free to take it to the Small Talk thread. Thank you!

• Love 2