Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: Baby Steps

Claire lands an interview for her dream job but is thwarted on her way to the interview by Phil's tricky staircase; Cam and Mitch debate the pros and cons of adopting another baby.

Poor Luke. From always  getting his head stuck in the railing when he was nine to taking a header tonight, that stair case is out to get him (and everyone else). And being ignored while he obviously has a concussion. "Someone could get hurt!" "I'm getting sleepy...."

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

So Alex having $1,000 shoes is supposed to be ridiculous, but Cam and Mitch buying that multimillion dollar LA dream home on a whim is just adorable?

Coronavirus is making these characters' disgusting spending habits even harder to take.

• Love 4

Well, the episode title tipped me off. All this baby talk has officially made this show a soap opera.

I pretty much fast forwarded though Cam and Mitch. Being 60 with a kid in high school is nothing. And moving what, down the street? 

They need to move shelves to Claire? Isn’t she in, uh, stairs? They look an awful lot like shelves to me.

Arvin was fantastic. I wish they had kept him around as a regular character to poke holes in this family. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

So Alex having $1,000 shoes is supposed to be ridiculous, but Cam and Mitch buying that multimillion dollar LA dream home on a whim is just adorable?

Coronavirus is making these characters' disgusting spending habits even harder to take.

I felt they were just shoving Alex into the corner and doing some half ass job or wraping things up with the professor because the actor was free. My God! I just can't take Dylan, I mean I was also waiting for Jay to go: "How the hell did you get through nursing school?" I mean his comment about how Dylan just immediately says or thinks what is on his mind was hilarious. Of course, once again, the writers are trying to go: "See he is like Phil." Of course Phil not thinking about mold growing under his stairs for mushrooms was just plain stupid. His basement would have been a better place, not under the stairs. 

I actually felt bad for Luke, I mean seriously, the character has been just turned into nothing the past few years. From his: "I'm going to act like President Trump to win school elections." To all of a sudden: "I want to be with woman over 35, but I'm going to still hit on ex-girlfriends of Manny." I also find the entire adoption with Mitch and Cam really out of nowhere. I get now they are at a different place in life. But this just proves they should have gotten rid of the duplex years ago and now getting a new kid in their mid 40s with Lilly about 5 years from going to college. It just screams "thrown together' plus the damn adoption agency would have seen it had been 6 years, they can't just magically give them a boy when they should have had no problems 6 years ago, but the focus then was baby Joe.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I thought Alex was going to be a more hands-on scientist, rather than just a bureaucrat, after college.

Oh, changing the plan story out of nowhere? Why would we think that was beneath the writers in the LAST 4 episodes of the series. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 3/19/2020 at 6:58 AM, Blakeston said:

I don't see how they can afford a 2nd house without a signed contract for the sale of their current one.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

13 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I don't see how they can afford a 2nd house without a contract for the sale of their current one.

details, details...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Sure were a lot of copper pipes that went nowhere in their house.

I couldn't care less about Alex's story. So I was paying attention to the credits. It took a full 5 minutes to get through them and there were at least 10 exec producers. Not that they do anything but perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen tanked this show. 

Quite ready for the end. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Sure were a lot of copper pipes that went nowhere in their house.

I couldn't care less about Alex's story. So I was paying attention to the credits. It took a full 5 minutes to get through them and there were at least 10 exec producers. Not that they do anything but perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen tanked this show. 

Quite ready for the end. 

Oh I'm sorry, you also see the multiple writers from episode to episode the past few years. Too many writers are: "Let's do this." or "They never did that, they need to do this instead." "Hey remember 7 years ago when they did this? Let's do that again." Yeah, even my wife looked at the Mushroom room and went: "Where are all those pipes going?"

• Love 3

Also, no way in hell would a hyper-OCD Martha Stewart-type executive hire someone whose life is obviously a mess to run their company, just because that person enjoys the company's products. There's always been a lot of suspension of disbelief with this show, but that was absurd.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, readster said:

I also find the entire adoption with Mitch and Cam really out of nowhere. I get now they are at a different place in life. But this just proves they should have gotten rid of the duplex years ago and now getting a new kid in their mid 40s with Lilly about 5 years from going to college. It just screams "thrown together'

I do think suddenly giving them another baby is a really lazy way for the show to come full circle (since it began with the couple getting Lily), and allow them to go out on an emotional high.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Also, no way in hell would a hyper-OCD Martha Stewart-type executive hire someone whose life is obviously a mess to run their company, just because that person enjoys the company's products. There's always been a lot of suspension of disbelief with this show, but that was absurd.

That's what I thought too.  I can't imagine why using a company's products would qualify a person to run the company.  A complete and stupid disconnect, except these people always have everything just land in their laps.

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I do think suddenly giving them another baby is a really lazy way for the show to come full circle (since it began with the couple getting Lily), and allow them to go out on an emotional high.   

ITA.  Of course, they've done such a splendid job raising Lily.  How long would it take them to lose all interest in another child?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That scene with the professor, and Alex, and Haley is one of the worst I've ever seen on television.  And I watch a lot of television.

At least I still love Mitchell.

I wish Alex would have just said: "You know what? Good for fucking you!" "You got everything you wanted!" "A celebrity giving you tons of money, a husband who doesn't know the sun from the moon and twins!" "I have shit, good, you won, let's move on!"

• Love 2
On 3/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I didn’t make it past Jay and Phil sawing wood to fix the stairs while Claire had a big interview and needed them to shut the fuck up for an hour. I don’t know how it ended. A for-hire SUV taking Alex to the conference was believable enough if you thought someone with a bachelor’s degree was special in her field. I don’t know how it ended. Mitch and Cam think Lily’s misanthropy might be their fault and a new baby might prove it? I don’t know how it ended.

I don’t know how any of it ended. This show is so bad I’m bugging out with only a few episodes to go. Mitch and Cam got married. The End.

OK, maybe this is very pedantic, and yet, maybe I've found my people here...so stay with me on the math.

Lily challenges the adoption of the new child because Can mis *currently* 48 and Mitch is 44.  Lily then says that when the new child graduates from HS, Cam will be 68, and Mitch 62 but not until June. So this ep must take place after June  (whatever date is Mitch's b-day).  And previous mentions of Mitch's b-day has been far earlier in the year than June.

Lookid, this is what my OCD personality and very, *very* often reairing on USA does to one.  I'm not proud of it.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, readster said:

"Where are all those pipes going?"

Right out through the wall into the entryway-living room. Can't stand Claire.

There were some laughs in this episode...I gave myself a coughing fit when Luke made the pencil sharpener noise.

Loved Haley's butterfly sweater, but her scene with Alex was flat out weird/terrible.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, Blakeston said:

Since the dawn of sitcoms almost 70 years ago, writers have lazily relied on this same device:. Character has a job interview that goes disastrously wrong (mostly their fault). But the interviewer admires their moxie, spunk, resilience, creativity and some other attribute so they get the job anyway

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Since the dawn of sitcoms almost 70 years ago, writers have lazily relied on this same device:. Character has a job interview that goes disastrously wrong (mostly their fault). But the interviewer admires their moxie, spunk, resilience, creativity and some other attribute so they get the job anyway

Yep, been around since Father Knows Best. Same with the "nerdy kid" being ridiculed and can't get a "break in life" and has to be constantly shunned or called stupid. Just like with Alex here. Yet, the dumb characters fall their way up to: promotions, attractive spouses who tend to be as dim as them and then where people do stupid things and yet... NEVER LEARN.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Tyler said:

Yes its a tired trope.  Plus the show is ending and the fate of Claire from a  job standpoint is not something most people care about. 

On the plus side though, have to say Wendy Malick still looks good at almost 70 years old.

Same with Alex, being shamed for the job she took and her old professor, insinuating she is a "sell out" for working for whatever company that was, I knows its fake. 

Better ending for both would be claire doesn't get the job and Alex tells her professor no, she likes what she does and has no reason to feel guilty about it. 

Cam and mitch.......first of all, they completely overlook the fact in that whole storyline of having kis late in life that Jay was over sixty years old when he had a kid.  No one thought to ask him about this, instead they go to Gloria who was much younger at the time? 

As for if its nature or nurture in regard to Lilly, anyone who watches the show and sees their self centered, half assed parenting knows the answer already.  Although I did get a kick of out Lilly briefly thinking they were sending her back. 

And finally.....I must have missed something, I didn't know they bought the house too, I though they turned it down.

• Love 4

I’m assuming Alex and the professor will be endgame. I liked him when he first came on the show and at that time thought he should be with her, but now? Meh. They really watered down his character, especially toward the end of his relationship with Haley and even his playing both sides fickleness in this episode. Alex can do better. I wish she wouldn’t have settled for accepting his lower paying job offer as well. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I’m assuming Alex and the professor will be endgame. I liked him when he first came on the show and at that time thought he should be with her, but now? Meh. They really watered down his character, especially toward the end of his relationship with Haley and even his playing both sides fickleness in this episode. Alex can do better. I wish she wouldn’t have settled for accepting his lower paying job offer as well. 

Yeah, I don't like this at all, plus with the professor being so sure he was going to marry Haley from early on and he apparently is happy for her now and could also care less just makes his reaction to Alex even more stupid. Same with Alex, should could even have told the groups: "Yeah, and people protest a law firm, because of one of the partners stealing, but forget the firm also shut down two human trafficking businesses." "How about that yes, fracturing can be damaging, but has helped us get more alternative energies that have reduced pollution for the planet." "Every damn business is going to have issues, so go find someone who is REALLY EVIL and leave me alone." But oh no, she had to be guilt-ed, because remember, Alex is a bitter, smart loser since Season 1?

• Love 3

I had a different take about the job opportunity with Arvin. Yes it was going to be lesser paying than the company that she was at, but the Alex that we had seen over the years would be thrilled for the opportunity with working with out those geniuses. The perks of the company were nice, but I think she would give that up and be thrilled to be on a team in achieving cutting edge, scientific breakthroughs.

• Love 6

I agree Alex would want a science job like the one she was offered by Alvin, but you don't get a high paying job like she had, unless you really want it. It's not like taking that high paying job was the kind of thing you do just because you can't get anything better. It's a choice she made. No one gets hired to that position as a consolation when all else fails.

They showed she melted down at the Antarctic research station, and I thought the story they were telling about her was that she is too anxiety-riddled to cut it in any high pressure position. But again, you don't get a swanky job if you can't handle any pressure.

So I think they basically are not trying to make any sense. It's just convenience because someone in the writer's room wanted to bring Alvin back.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They showed she melted down at the Antarctic research station, and I thought the story they were telling about her was that she is too anxiety-riddled to cut it in any high pressure position. But again, you don't get a swanky job if you can't handle any pressure.

The only reason that she melted down at the Antarctic was because it would have been impossible to have her interact with anyone in the family except via Skype. It's not like when she was attending CalTech. She would visit at home, be there for the holidays, or have family drop by to visit.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

So I think they basically are not trying to make any sense. It's just convenience because someone in the writer's room wanted to bring Alvin back.

Pretty much, same why they threw Andy out was because they wanted Dylan back as Haley's endgame. It wasn't like the actor was really busy, he was part of the cast for a while and then the show was: "Well, we like Dylan's character more, so bye Andy." Then it was: "Well, I'm getting these other deals, so no big lost on me." Now, Dylan and Haley and dumb and dumber with twins that apparently want to destroy things because they can, not because they don't know better. 

• Love 3

There is no way a research job through a university will bring even half of what Alex is getting at her other job. Maybe if this had happened a season ago, I could get on board with the sudden switch, but it seems so rushed. I assume they want her and Arvin as the endgame which I am okay with but I don't like how they got there.

And I just couldn't get into the stair story because I don't know why Claire couldn't just ask them to stop work for an hour while she had her meeting. It was at 1:23. Take lunch then. I get it, it's farcical, but it was just ridiculous and stupid and I hated it.

I'm going to assume that DeeDee was secretly wealthy and left Mitchell millions of dollars because that's how much that house would be. I could sort of justify the duplex but there is no way a high school coach and a (I think) DA could buy that. Again, I know it's fantasy but it's so out there, they might as well have unicorns and dragons around too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xander874 said:

And I just couldn't get into the stair story because I don't know why Claire couldn't just ask them to stop work for an hour while she had her meeting. It was at 1:23. Take lunch then. I get it, it's farcical, but it was just ridiculous and stupid and I hated it.

Especially when they know it would bother the twins and could lead to other issues. I mean, it could have just been a half an hour break. Oh no! They have to throw in Phil's secret mushroom garden, copper pipes that really go nowhere and Dylan saying things that would get anyone else punched in the face.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2020 at 12:05 PM, Tyler said:

People keep tuning in, why change a thing?

• Love 1
On 3/19/2020 at 6:58 AM, Blakeston said:

Not to mention, Alex kept humble bragging about those shoes and her new status, like she was a kid from the projects who had succeeded in landing herself a better life. Surely the Dunphys, with their expensive home, many vacations, etc., bought their kids expensive items throughout their lives? Like Haley wouldn't have had any designer clothes or accessories?

On 3/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, nilyank said:

I had a different take about the job opportunity with Arvin. Yes it was going to be lesser paying than the company that she was at, but the Alex that we had seen over the years would be thrilled for the opportunity with working with out those geniuses. The perks of the company were nice, but I think she would give that up and be thrilled to be on a team in achieving cutting edge, scientific breakthroughs.

Same. IMO the point they were trying to make was that making tons of money didn't necessarily mean the person was fulfilled by their work or even enjoyed it. I never really knew what Alex's company supposedly did, but in this ep when she was telling everyone about it, she seemed almost like she was reading off a grocery list of items, like she was trying to convince her own self it was a great company doing great things. Maybe working at a university would make her happier.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:03 AM, readster said:

I also find the entire adoption with Mitch and Cam really out of nowhere. I get now they are at a different place in life. But this just proves they should have gotten rid of the duplex years ago and now getting a new kid in their mid 40s with Lilly about 5 years from going to college. It just screams "thrown together' plus the damn adoption agency would have seen it had been 6 years, they can't just magically give them a boy when they should have had no problems 6 years ago, but the focus then was baby Joe.

What I couldn't figure out why why Mitch and Cam could only see two options - getting a baby or not adopting at all. Why not look for an older child? There are lots of children who still need a home, yet will fit into their ages/lives at this point better.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

What I couldn't figure out why why Mitch and Cam could only see two options - getting a baby or not adopting at all. Why not look for an older child? There are lots of children who still need a home, yet will fit into their ages/lives at this point better.

After all their heartbreak the last time they tried to adopt a second child, this baby was literally dropped in their laps and they took the plunge and went for it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's highly doubtful that Alex would qualify to work for Arvin's team at CalTech unless she was pursuing a PhD there. An undergraduate degree alone does not qualify you for a research job at a major university.

Unless they are going to reveal that in the next two episodes. I think the writers, once again decided to make things up because they could.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:52 AM, readster said:

Yeah, I don't like this at all, plus with the professor being so sure he was going to marry Haley from early on and he apparently is happy for her now and could also care less just makes his reaction to Alex even more stupid. Same with Alex, should could even have told the groups: "Yeah, and people protest a law firm, because of one of the partners stealing, but forget the firm also shut down two human trafficking businesses." "How about that yes, fracturing can be damaging, but has helped us get more alternative energies that have reduced pollution for the planet." "Every damn business is going to have issues, so go find someone who is REALLY EVIL and leave me alone." But oh no, she had to be guilt-ed, because remember, Alex is a bitter, smart loser since Season 1?

I've loathed Arvin since his first appearance, all that bullshit about "running the calculations and we're going to end up together" was such gagworthy nonsense and I'm never a fan of the "you don't actually like me, but I'm going to hang around and wear you down.." trope that TV and movies seem to find so charming but is NOT cool at all in real life, so I super hate the idea of Alex ending up with Arvin.

Hopefully that storyline is just part of the show's nostalgia tour where they try to bring back or call back to previous characters. 

It feels like the show is doing fewer episodes, but I'm sure someone who's paying closer attention than I am will tell me that this is a standard number of episodes. It just seems to me like there are more reruns/no new show weeks than normal. 

On the plus side though, have to say Wendy Malick still looks good at almost 70 years old.

She has one of those faces that never looked particularly young even when she was very young. Not such a great thing at 25, but quite an asset when you get to the older end and have basically looked the same for 50 years.

True. Makes you wonder how many people who've grown up on this trope have been sorely disappointed to find that life doesn't work that way, lol. 

• Love 6

it makes perfect sense that Alex would jump.at the chance to do research, even for little pay. With her personality and demeanor, she belongs in a university lab, NOT a corporate boardroom. She wouldn't last long with her snarkiness, sarcasm and anti-social behavior.  That stuff is far less important in a lab setting.

Maybe I missed it: why did she take a corporate job in the first place?  All I remember is the episode where the family came to her fancy apartment. I don't remember a job search at all.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tyler said:

Maybe I missed it: why did she take a corporate job in the first place?  All I remember is the episode where the family came to her fancy apartment. I don't remember a job search at all.

I remember she was looking for jobs in that episode where she couldn't find her driver's license (because Luke took it to buy booze) but not why she took that one specifically. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Tyler said:

it makes perfect sense that Alex would jump.at the chance to do research, even for little pay. With her personality and demeanor, she belongs in a university lab, NOT a corporate boardroom. She wouldn't last long with her snarkiness, sarcasm and anti-social behavior.  That stuff is far less important in a lab setting.

Not if you work in accounting, pharmaceuticals or catering. It's right up there. 

• Love 1

I was an accountant, and they want you to be bland in the office. No loud reactions, just mechanical cheerfulness. As always, if you are gorgeous and sexy, you are the favorite. 

The bosses are the ones who can let their lousy personalities hang loose.

Same. IMO the point they were trying to make was that making tons of money didn't necessarily mean the person was fulfilled by their work or even enjoyed it. I never really knew what Alex's company supposedly did, but in this ep when she was telling everyone about it, she seemed almost like she was reading off a grocery list of items, like she was trying to convince her own self it was a great company doing great things. Maybe working at a university would make her happier.

I look at it from the opposite view which is just because you work for a big company and make money doesn't mean you aren't still doing important scientific work.  It doesn't all happen just at universities. 

But doesn't matter  The shows writers don't really delve that deep into these things.  Its whatever works for their desired end game at this point. 

• Love 2