Type keyword(s) to search

Leah McSweeney: Designer to the Mob

• Start Topic

I figured our newest HW needed her own thread, so here it is...if anyone has any recommendations for a better sounding title, feel free to suggest it...

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1

When it was first announced that RHONY cast Leah, the website for her clothing line was up but had no damn clothing.

At the time, I had wondered why Leah had a fashion site with no fashions when she had such a golden PR opportunity in the RHONY announcement, but it appears Leah was just biding her time until the show’s actual premiere. Her label’s website now just has a landing page that says, “We’ll be right back, bitch. 4/2/20”

I guess she’s hoping for something like the Shark Tank effect, with a massive inflow of web traffic on premiere night.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

So is she cool or not? She seems okay from the above video so I hope she does well this season. What's the mob from the title mean? 

Just a play on the name of her clothing line, “Married to the Mob.”

• Love 3

As a WOC, I can't even fuck with Leah after that stunt she pulled with Michael Che. That was some gaslighting bullshit that she released to the press for fun and profit. It was so fucked up.

I only watched last season because I was curious how Luann's continued downward spiral was going to be handled, but I don't think I'll be watching season 12. I don't really care for anyone in the cast; I'm not a Bethenny fan either. I think I'm just weirdly over Bravo and reality tv.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
14 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Ok.  Color me dumb.  What happened with her and Michael Che?

She went on her podcast and talked about attempting to hook up with him via a dating app. She said he was arrogant and rude to her so he or someone in his camp released their text exchange which was very different than how she portrayed it. Plus add in some homophobia and weird racial comment on her side.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6

As someone who has listened to her podcast, read most of her columns over the last few years she is very opinionated and outspoken.
I’m curious if her opinion on Erika Jayne has changed now that she’s a housewife. When Erika’s book came out, Leah and her daughter went to a signing. They brought her some MTTM items. Erika was cold, unfriendly to everyone which is the opposite of what you should be when strangers are buying your goods. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She went on her podcast and talked about attempting to hook up with him via a dating app. She said he was arrogant and rude to her so he or someone in his camp released their text exchange which was very different than how she portrayed it. Plus add in some homophobia and weird racial comment on her side.

Oh wow. This is who she is? I read that when it came out. She is awful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Erika was cold, unfriendly to everyone which is the opposite of what you should be when strangers are buying your goods. 

According to Leah, anyway...

• Love 8
(edited)

Out of curiosity, peeked in at Leah's instagram. Aside from the Michael Che crap that she pulled, not a fan of a woman who thinks she's a tough bitch wearing a BLOWME necklace.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Out of curiosity, peeked in at Leah's instagram. Aside from the Michael Che crap that she pulled, not a fan of a woman who thinks she's a tough bitch wearing a BLOWME necklace.

Oh that’s tame compared to her own sayings, designs and things she discusses. 

Shes stopped the funny instastories high on edibles since signing on to be a housewife. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Oh that’s tame compared to her own sayings, designs and things she discusses. 

Shes stopped the funny instastories high on edibles since signing on to be a housewife. 

I need an eyeroll reaction.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I need an eyeroll reaction.

We need one of those around here. I’m sure she’s right about Erika being cold at the signing. But on the other hand why are you taking your ten year old to see Erika Jayne? It reminded me of when fans were taking their kids to the Girls Next Door calendar signing. 

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Do Tell! 

A lot of it’s NSFW so I don’t know if it’s okay to post but you can look at Married to the Mob’s past designs or look at her Improper Etiquette episode titles. 

In fairness though, some of her journalism is good. 

I’m not a prude, I just think she’s a very bizarre choice for a housewife. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Apparently Bethenny referred her, and LuAnn thinks she is cool.  With the Bethenny stamp of approval, and the fact that LuAnn thinks she is cool, added to the Michael Che fuckery, no more needs to be said. IMO. She is not someone that I want to follow on RHNY. Like @HunterHunted I will be out on watching the upcoming Real Housewives shit. It's all circling the drain. We know all about the upcoming storylines based upon housewives laying the foundation on social media. No more surprises, no more "Well, who is this woman and what is she all about?" Too scripted, fake storylines, over produced BS. We are being played, and I'd rather not be suckered in. I'll still check in on forums just in case something new pops up, but I doubt it.

• Love 8
On 2/28/2020 at 2:21 AM, biakbiak said:

She made me side with Michael Che and therefore I cannot stand her sight unseen (I only know about her through that exchange through articles).

I just read that text string and wow, how embarrassing.  And gee, do you think she'd be all over him if it weren't for him being on SNL?

• Love 9
8 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I just read that text string and wow, how embarrassing.  And gee, do you think she'd be all over him if it weren't for him being on SNL?

In my opinion, Michael Che is very attractive and funny. I wouldn’t blow up his phone, but I would definitely feel happily nervous around him. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Michael has a shit ton of evidence of being homophobic, misogynistic and attacking female comics and critics on his own unrelated to Leah showing her fucking ass.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10
On 4/5/2020 at 10:52 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

In my opinion, Michael Che is very attractive and funny. I wouldn’t blow up his phone, but I would definitely feel happily nervous around him. 

Funny yes; I don't think he's attractive.  

• Love 2

Once i saw the name of her company, seeing her face etc, it clicked!  She was on an ep of "The Millionaire Matchmaker" where IIRC she bragged how she was arrested, sued the NYPD for whatever happened to her during the arrest for like over a million $ and that's how she started up her clothing line. It was her startup $. 

She's a real piece of work🙄

*ETA I didn't watch above video so idk if the lawsuit/ startup $ was mentioned but I didn't see anyone comment as such. 

Edited by Kdawg82
Didn't watch above video
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I’m behind on episodes but so far I’m surprised how sanitized she is on the show. Not at all the same woman whose podcast I’ve heard for years. For Someone who prides herself on being so original and “real” it’s weird. I’m starting to wonder if pulling then putting all the archives of Improper Etiquette on Patreon behind a pay wall was meant to prevent some controversies or dirt being dusted up now that she’s on a very popular show. 

I know she can’t talk on tv the way she normally does due to censors but still. This is a scrubbed up, sanitized Leah. Not the I ate too many edibles and tried to masterbate myself sober Leah (yes, she said that on a podcast) or how embarrassed and horrified her daughter is over weed use, trying to explain to her that it’s a helpful plant. Even the current MTTM slogans have been watered down. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Once i saw the name of her company, seeing her face etc, it clicked!  She was on an ep of "The Millionaire Matchmaker" where IIRC she bragged how she was arrested, sued the NYPD for whatever happened to her during the arrest for like over a million $ and that's how she started up her clothing line. It was her startup $. 

She's a real piece of work🙄

*ETA I didn't watch above video so idk if the lawsuit/ startup $ was mentioned but I didn't see anyone comment as such. 

Leah was on WWHL recently and they showed a scene 🙂

I REALLY like Leah thus far, but I wonder how long it's going to last. 

• Love 5
On 3/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, LemonSoda said:

In fairness though, some of her journalism is good.

I know nothing about this girl except that she starts sentences with "Me" and always puts herself first - "Me and my mom aren't speaking right now...," "Me and Sonja trashed Ramona's back yard," etc. This is such a pet peeve of mine and she does it A LOT. With some franchises, this doesn't surprise me (Teresa G.), but NYC? And is she really a journalist??? lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

I know nothing about this girl except that she starts sentences with "Me" and always puts herself first - "Me and my mom aren't speaking right now...," "Me and Sonja trashed Ramona's back yard," etc. This is such a pet peeve of mine and she does it A LOT. With some franchises, this doesn't surprise me (Teresa G.), but NYC? And is she really a journalist??? lol

Yes. And oddly some of her work is good. Keyword some. 

She’s scrubbed a lot since becoming a housewife.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Teri313 said:

That just bothers me from a grammatical perspective, and my grammar isn’t always the best.

• Love 5

I’ve looked at some of the MTTM clothing and I just don’t understand it.  It looks like a bunch of T-shirts and sweatshirts with silly slogans about being a bitch, etc.  Clearly she is selling to a young demographic.  Is that the junk she wants her daughter to wear?

Lastly, why do all these housewives want to consider themselves bad bitches and gangsters.  I can be a bitch when it’s called for but I wouldn’t want to be fifty something (yes, I’m talking about Dorinda) calling myself a bad bitch and gansta.

1EC8E034-A8D6-4B2D-9E2D-CFDFCB7ECC89.jpeg

• Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I’ve looked at some of the MTTM clothing and I just don’t understand it.  It looks like a bunch of T-shirts and sweatshirts with silly slogans about being a bitch, etc.  Clearly she is selling to a young demographic.  Is that the junk she wants her daughter to wear?

Lastly, why do all these housewives want to consider themselves bad bitches and gangsters.  I can be a bitch when it’s called for but I wouldn’t want to be fifty something (yes, I’m talking about Dorinda) calling myself a bad bitch and gansta.

It really is disturbing that female empowerment is equated to being a bitch or "boss bitch", etc.  I consider myself an independent woman, with a healthy self-esteem, but I don't consider that as fodder for gangsta rap lyrics.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 20
On 5/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, Emmeline said:

Eh, I like some of her stuff. The left sweatshirt is empowering, and the one on the right is humorous. These are things I would wear on a casual day outing with friends, to lunch or shopping.

I don’t think she would have any qualms with her daughter wearing her pieces, except the sexually explicit stuff.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, link417 said:

Eh, I like some of her stuff. The left sweatshirt is empowering, and the one on the right is humorous. These are things I would wear on a casual day outing with friends, to lunch or shopping.

Whenever I see someone out in public wearing a shirt with a vulgar saying on it, I wonder, "Who does that?"  I guess now I know!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Whenever I see someone out in public wearing a shirt with a vulgar saying on it, I wonder, "Who does that?"  I guess now I know!

Yup. 🙋🏾‍♀️ Me and lots of other people, apparently, or they likely wouldn’t keep making more.

Some of my personal faves are merch from a place called Big Dick’s Halfway Inn. But they’re more tongue-in-cheek double entendres, not really as explicit as MTTM. (Sayings like, “Liquor — She’ll love it!”)

• Love 5

Good grief.  She needs to be doing damage control and walking it back.  But I guess this is the rep she wants to have.  Her poor mother and daughter.  

What a selfish pig headed girl this one is.  

• Love 11

I posted this info on last night’s episode thread - but it belongs here too:

https://screenrant.com/real-housewives-new-york-leah-mcsweeney-relationship-mom/

“Leah discussed her struggles following her Bipolar II diagnosis in a piece that she wrote for HYPEBAE in 2016. She revealed, "My doctor kept upping my dosage thinking it would help. At that point, I seriously started to feel like I losing my mind. I told my mom I needed to go to Bellevue Hospital, but instead she had me throw out the bottle of medication. She watched me fall apart and literally lose my life over seven months on it." She followed her mom's advice and eventually she found the medication that was best for her.”

Leah’s article:

https://hypebae.com/2016/8/leah-mcsweeney-bipolar-mental-health

“I turned a dark corner when my hypomania got out of control and became dangerous. It was so hard to see that I was out of control. I felt charming, seductive. I swear I even feel like during these elated times I look sexier and prettier. I was sexually insatiable, I spent a lot of money I didn’t have, and I was agitated and impulsive. I’m not sure I’m explaining my hypomania in a way one can understand. But it’s a constant hunger, a constant need for stimulation, constant thinking. Not hungry for food though. I barely eat during these episodes. There is no peace. No serenity. It is a state of needing more non-stop.

I thought it would be a great idea to go to Spain for a weekend even though I had just been there for two weeks not long before. I also thought it would be a great idea to change Kier’s school out of nowhere, buy a couch that cost $10,000 USD, and date a couple. I couldn’t sit still and I couldn’t stop spending money. Finally the mania ended and like clockwork the 747 of depression hit. BOOM. Floored me. I had no idea what hit me. I seemed to have forgotten the pattern. And once again I was sitting in the brown leather chair. In tears. But this time worried about my mascara running because I decided I had a crush on my doctor — the mania was lingering.

That was in the summer of 2014. I have been in remission, as they call it, since then. After trial and error I am on the right medication cocktail. Sometimes I want to go off it all but my support network of friends and family always talk me out of it. I’m creative but stable. I don’t go out all night. I eat a healthy, balanced diet. I get a solid eight hours of sleep and I try to stay with a routine. I took up ice skating, and I go to the gym. Taking care of myself keeps my “episodes” at bay. When I feel they are coming on, I go see my doctor right away. Sometimes I need to make a little change in the dosage or add or take something away. But I kind of have it down to a science at this point…knock on wood.”

• Love 3

I looked at her website and her tshirts and hoodies seem awfully outdated.  There’s no way she pays her rent by selling $30 shirts.  20 products total.  

• Love 7

I’m not sure why Leah is the way she is or thinks the way she does or speaks the way she speaks, but she is such a nasty, embarrassing woman. She’s no example for her daughter, for sure. 

• Love 12