Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Unsaid

Trini
  • Start Topic

Despite everyone else's doubts, Shaun is hopeful that Carly is truly fine with his friendship with Lea. Meanwhile, the team treats a young boy - born without a fully formed trachea and unable to speak - who may be a good candidate for an experimental procedure.

Written by Sal Calleros and Thomas L. Moran, and directed by Mike Listo.

Airdate: Feb. 17, 2020

What a sad series of events.

Shaun has already tried to hook up with Lea. She blew him off. So now that he has a girlfriend she’s jealous. Please. I can’t stand Lea. How contrIved.

Claire sure is devious. She’s starting a terrible thing. Too bad men cannot think with their brain when they need to.  

There are no words for Reznick. She now knows that her skills are compromised. She’s more intent on her career than lives. I bet she is killed. I don’t think she will leave otherwise.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

Oh, god, "The One I Love". Interesting song choice at the end there (interesting version, too).

Oof. Well. That was painful :(. I don't know about the whole "love" thing, though. Shaun is clearly close to Lea, yes, and they get on well, and he may perhaps have a bit of an attraction to her. But I don't know about love. Even if he does have deeper feelings for her, though, I'm not sure she'd reciprocate them. 

That being said, yeeeeeeeah, when he and Lea were singing to each other I was sitting here like, "Keep your eyes on your date, Shaun." So it'll be interesting to see how that does pan out.

(On a happy note for a moment, okay, can we talk about Shaun singing "Super Bass" :D? Or, as he later mentioned, "Whip It", apparently :p? That was such a fun scene, hehe. Shame it had to get so awkward so fast.)

As for Melendez and Claire, I'm glad she called him out about his behavior this episode, because she was right (when he told her she was overreacting...oooh, the look on her face there). And I liked Lim pointing it out to him, too. I'm glad he did come to his senses about that stuff, though. 

I'm also glad that Claire and Park resolved their issues, because damn, talk about tense. 

As for Morgan, interesting reasoning behind her being the one to make the complaint. I hope Lim's words to her at the end are the wake up call she needs to finally take care of her problems the right way. For somebody who loves to give other people advice about how to handle their problems*, she sure struggles to deal with hers. But isn't that often, if not always, the way? 

*I did chuckle at Lim telling her to be quiet at one point this episode, 'cause seriously, yeah, sometimes these people need to remember time and place when discussing personal stuff. The moment between her and Shaun, where they complimented each other a bit in regards to the surgery, was nice, though. 

And yay for both patients turning out okay! That little boy was a sweetie, I loved all the moments with him and his parents signing to each other. 

• Love 14

Lazy writers. Not only was I not interested in Shaun's love life I am certainly not interested in Leah. So they use the mature character of Carly to "work" with him to get in touch with his emotions and is manhood only to send him back to "fun loving" Leah?  If they were going to do this they could have done it a few episodes ago.   It also does not appear that Leah was pining for Shaun while she was having this revelation about her feelings for him. 

Odd that they are going the friendship route with the only two people on the show that have real sexual chemistry.   Although Claire had a point about two male colleagues in a mentor/mentee relationship hanging out, she is old enough to know how things really go. 

Good on Park for trying to take on the role of the reportee in order to squash Claire's interest in it and also possibly discourage dissent between the two women....but although I understand  Resnick's reasons, I thought she had made some growth. 

I don't think I can take more about Shaun's love life and Leah annoys me. Now that she is working at the hospital...ugh! 

Why couldn't they bring in a third person, not Leah or Carly?  Why can't women and men be friends?  Why not be realistic.....not everyone has a fairytale ending with the first person they had an attraction to.....just lazy, lazy writing or pandering to the fans.....both unacceptable..

• Love 13

Just when I was thinking maybe Morgan was ok.  She sure is devious, but Lim’s onto her.  Good for her!

Loved the little boy and his whole story.  Way to go Shaun!

Shaun and Leah?!  I love them together. I think they have great chemistry. It was so sad though when Carly broke up with Shaun.  She was great for him.  

• Love 10

Reznick is devious. When she had to step aside in that first surgery and Shaun stepped in, she TRIED to rattle him by what she said, so that he wouldn’t shine when she didn’t. She got shutdown though. 

Claire has caught her catch and is now reeling him him. Next time they will be bed. It won’t end well for him.

• Love 10

Lea has treated Shaun terribly. When he professed his feelings for her she shut him down and then brought home lovers who she got loud with in her bedroom, knowing Shaun was listening and hurting. She didn’t care. I have no use for her.

• Love 17

"It's better to feed down than to kiss up."  That line was worth the price of admission for the episode.

Morgan is wrong that women express more non-verbally than men do. Both sexes express the same amount, it's just that women are better at decoding non-verbal behaviour.

Shaun needs to see a therapist about his projection issues. Just because he feels limited doesn't mean that the boy will feel limited too.

Why did the boy still have a trach tube if the incision was healing nicely?

The Critical Period Hypothesis states that there are critical periods in the development of various abilites, e.g. acquisition of language, vision, imprinting, movement etc. and if it is missed, the ability cannot be regained. But I can't find anything that says that speech is one of them.

Lim is so much more competent than Cuddy, I can't believe that it's the same showrunner.

I really don't care about the Lea/Shaun/Carly triangle. But Morgan is right, Lea is definitely pissing on his leg.

Claire wasn't wrong about the lack of mentorship opportunities for women

University of Toronto researchers published a commentary in The New England Journal of Medicine arguing that men in academic medicine are using the #MeToo movement to justify avoiding mentorship of women, depriving the women of key opportunities to advance their careers.,,,

Of particular concern to the authors is a lack of mentoring opportunities for women in academic medicine relative to men, in part because men claim that they fear false allegations of sexual misconduct. The authors cite several recent studies showing that some American have stopped meeting with female colleagues or subordinates alone due to fears of false sexual harassment reports.

The authors argue that mentorship is essential for career advancement in any field, including academic medicine. Nevertheless, women report less access to mentors than their male colleagues.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8

I was really starting to like Morgan, but that was some shady shit right there. I thought they were faking us out and it was Park, who was trying to help in a misguided way, but nope, it was just Morgan being shady, trying to sabotage Claire, trying to cover her bases if the illness she is covering up ends in her hurting someone and getting fired, or a bit of both. At least Lim is on to her. 

This drama with Shaun's love life is just exhausting. Shaun tried something romantic with Lea, and it didnt work! I was really happy that Lea and Carly seemed to have made peace, and the karaoke started out as so much fun! It was so great seeing Shaun up there rocking out in front of a crowd, with a friend and a girlfriend and everything seemed to be so great for a second, especially after everything he went through with his dad, and then it just went totally sideways. As much as the drama has gotten old, I really did like Shaun with Carly, and it sucks to see it end like this. I guess it was inevitable, as Carly never seemed really comfortable with Lea around, and its hard for Shaun to ditch his only non work friend, but it still really sucks. 

• Love 17

Gotta hand it to Morgan, filing that complaint as a preemptive strike against her own firing was genius. I honestly don't think she was out to get Claire of Melendez, I think she made the complaint specifically knowing there wasn't anything really all that worrisome going on. She just wanted to be on record as a whistle-blower to make her losing her job look shady. Too bad for her that Lim is on to her. Morgan trying to rattle Shaun during surgery smacked of desperation, she's getting into scared animal mode. (Speaking of which, I would have liked to know how that poor lady ended up getting mauled like that, and why wasn't there any discussion of possible rabies? I'm not a dog-lover -- in fact I cross to the other side of the street if I see someone walking off leash -- and even I know that it's unlikely that a random dog on the street would go after me for no reason.)

I really like the idea of Claire and Melendez being buddies. We don't see enough of that. Also, was Melendez about to drive away after having a presumably alcoholic drink? Tsk tsk.

My favorite part of the episode was Shaun being able to get across how incredibly isolating it is to not be able to communicate with others. I spent two weeks in a country where I didn't speak a word of the language and it was like I became a different person. I'm very very talkative in  my native tongue, and when I couldn't communicate I started feeling like a supremely awkward ghost. And even somehow animalistic. I noticed I used my elbows a lot more in a crowd, for example. When you don't talk it can be like you don't exist. With his problems communicating, he was in a pretty damn good position to advocate surgery for his young patient.

By God I HATE the trope of "everyone else can see it" love stories. As far as I'm concerned, you don't get to tell other people how they feel until you've lived inside their minds and bodies. Carly was out of line pronouncing love from an evening of brief observation. If she wanted to break up because she just couldn't get past the feeling that Shaun loved Lea, that was one thing. To essentially place the breakup on him by telling him that was how he felt, that is shitty and presumptive.

• Love 22

I *loved* it when Lim told Morgan to "shut up" during the surgery! I know this show is not all about the surgeries, but that's something that's been bugging me more and more about this show lately - how these doctors keep yacking about their personal lives in the middle of procedures - if I were a patient under the knife I'd want to know that my doctors are concentrating on my procedure, not their love lives!

I also liked the revelation that it was Morgan, not Park, who filed the complaint and how Lim called out Morgan on her preemptive strike - no one's pulling the wool over Lim's eyes! And I agreed with the people who posted last week that Park would be above filing a complaint like that, so I was surprised when he admitted to it earlier in the episode and glad when we found out it was really Morgan.

• Love 8

So when Morgan was doing that little practice surgery... did she just pop some MTX to try to help her arthritis?

MTX doesn't work that way, Morgan.

I feel like how they had Carly act was out of character, and they are just trying to push the pairing of Lea & Shaun, when they need to just stay friends.

• Love 6

So it was Reznik after all... then why did Park tell Claire he was the one who complained? Could it be they both did?

Nitpick time: when Melendez got into his Tesla he made a movement like he was reaching for the ignition and then changed his mind. But there’s no ignition to reach for — no inserting a key or pushing a Start button. You put your foot on the brake to wake the car up and then (if you don’t have PIN to drive enabled) just put the car in gear and go.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I’m one of the few who doesn’t like Carly or her relationship with Shaun so this apparent breakup is music to my ears.  I like Lea.  Who knows where this is going?  That said, less emphasis on Shaun’s sex life would be fine with me.  

• Love 9
8 hours ago, frogzapper said:

I *loved* it when Lim told Morgan to "shut up" during the surgery! I know this show is not all about the surgeries, but that's something that's been bugging me more and more about this show lately - how these doctors keep yacking about their personal lives in the middle of procedures - if I were a patient under the knife I'd want to know that my doctors are concentrating on my procedure, not their love lives!

A friend of mine had a procedure and as she was going under she realized that the doctors were talking about Eminem. She said it made her feel a lot better about the procedure because it couldn't have been too scary if they weren't being super serious about it. Plus complicated surgeries can take time, and I mean A LOT of time. When my dad had the Whipple Procedure it was a nine hour stretch. Doctors are only human, and as long as they know what they're doing meanwhile, I say let them talk if they want.

That being said Morgan deliberately targeting Shaun's confidence over an open body and during a tricky moment was completely out of line and Lim was right to smack her down for it. She's lucky she didn't get reported by anyone in that OR.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Gotta hand it to Morgan, filing that complaint as a preemptive strike against her own firing was genius.... Too bad for her that Lim is on to her...

I really like the idea of Claire and Melendez being buddies. We don't see enough of that...

By God I HATE the trope of "everyone else can see it" love stories...

Agree with all. TV is too predictable. Writers like to stick to the tried and true, which means every attractive man and woman have to be attracted to each other, there has to be a sexual pairing in every medical show, people can't have complicated relationships unless they're sleeping together. Tiresome.

Last episode and this one, I momentarily found myself turning the corner on Carly and then she went all Carly... This time it was during the karaoke scene. It would've been good if she'd merely gotten in on the act and partnered with Lea's date and sang and then they traded off with different partners throughout the song (including Carly and Lea) and then they ended up with their original dates. But, no. I guess Carly and Shaun aren't meant to be.  Shaun was doing so well reasoning out Lea's humor at the table while the others enjoyed the joke all over again.

The thing I like about Lea is her intrusiveness (eating off his plate, horning in on him at times, coaxing him to do things he doesn't want to do). I personally don't like it, but it works with Shaun and loosens him up.

I like the way Lim treats Shaun. She acknowledges that he's special, but he's also an adult.

Gotta love Shaun's pursed-lips kissing!

• Love 8

So I really don't need commentary from Resnik about anyone else's relationships, thanks.

So did both Resnik and Park make complaints? I don't see why Park would take credit if he didn't.

Shallow note: Will Yun Lee, please keep this haircut; so much better, thanks!

Carly breaking up with Shaun - because of karaoke? ::sigh::  I guess they never really wanted them to be happy together anyway.  😒

Back to Shaun and Lea, again?? UGH NO, just NO.

However, Claire/Melendez is still happening! It might end up as well as Lim/Melendez, but I'm going to enjoy it for now.

• Love 8

The love triangle does bug me. I always knew they'd get back to Lea/Shaun eventually. I knew they'd never truly let it go, so it's been more of a waiting game, to see when the other shoe will drop. Unfortunately for me, it still hasn't quite dropped because they haven't dived into Lea's feelings for Shaun, which I assume she has for him but hasn't said anything. I still would rather Lea have zero romantic feelings for Shaun. Alas, I never really expected them to drop it. 

At least Carly got to end things with Shaun on her own terms, and it was a decent scene. I just didn't care for the circumstances to which is happened. I get that Shaun/Lea are close, and it's always bugged me that they have had Shaun so distant from Carly and unable to have fun on the level that he does with someone like Lea. 

Claire/Melendez seems to be right on track. With what Claire said about not getting to have a male mentor without the rumours starting, however, I kind of wish that they WOULDN'T go the romance angle. I don't mind if they do, but Claire makes a great point and it's a shame that she couldn't have a platonic male mentor. 

I think it was both Park and Morgan who made separate complaints? With the first complaint, Lim said that it was anonymous. But with Morgan, it seems like she went to Lim directly? I also don't see why Park would lie if he didn't make the complaint so...I'm guessing it's both of them? 

Morgan has turned back to her season 1 awful human being of a person. I am very frustrated with her right now. I get that she's floundering due to her RA, but that's no excuse to go ruin other people's lives. That being said, I loved the shadiness in the Morgan/Lea interaction. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

So it was Reznik after all... then why did Park tell Claire he was the one who complained? Could it be they both did?

28 minutes ago, Trini said:

So did both Resnik and Park make complaints? I don't see why Park would take credit if he didn't.

21 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think it was both Park and Morgan who made separate complaints? With the first complaint, Lim said that it was anonymous. But with Morgan, it seems like she went to Lim directly? I also don't see why Park would lie if he didn't make the complaint so...I'm guessing it's both of them? 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this was left ambiguous. Unless I missed a scene where Park took back his admission, I assumed that both Park and Reznick made separate compaints based on what we were told. I only started questioning this when a lot of the viewer comments and recaps I read only mentioned Reznick as making the complaint. Thought I was going crazy!

• Love 6

I think that Lim said that someone had complained however the identity of the complainant will be kept anonymous. Later, Lim confronted Reznik about the complaint that she had made.

I got the feeling that Park said that he had done it to settle Claire, who was obsessing over who had complained. It had to be either him or Reznik since Shaun probably would not notice favouritism , as well as getting some favouritism himself (e.g. the surgery rehearsal).

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

That being said, I loved the shadiness in the Morgan/Lea interaction. 

That was glorious; I checked to see who had written the episode because it was so good.

I understand Carly backing down when she saw how open Shaun was with Lea, it's an openness that he doesn't show with Carly herself and Carly has a lot of her own self-esteem issues. I think of Lea like the bubbles in champagne, they get the alcohol into your system faster but they don't last long. Lea is the fun, exicting friend and Shaun is thinking of sex with everyone now that he's experienced it, but Carly is the one who they're writting who can share Shaun's medical talk and even his cases.

As @Lady Calypso said, we've never really been given a look at Lea's feelings beyond things like the pissing contest with Morgan and the scene in the elevator with Carly. My impression of Lea is that she's possessive of Shaun, and given the making out scene on the dance floor, emotionally immature. (For that matter, so is Shaun to some extent.)

When I compare how they are writing Claire/Melendez with the first seasons of Grey's Anatomy, i laugh and laugh. This show may be a soap opera, but it's nowhere near the levels of GA.

• Love 6

4 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think that Lim said that someone had complained however the identity of the complainant will be kept anonymous. Later, Lim confronted Reznik about the complaint that she had made.

They both complained.

Park was the first complaint - the anonymous one that Lim told Melendez about and he then spoke to the team about.

Reznick was the 2nd complaint - she went directly to Lim and then Lim said that she had received a complaint but would keep the complainant anonymous.  Lim then confronted her in the locker room about it. 

Park kind of did it because he hoped that it would give him more opportunities to succeed and it did - he got to finish off a surgery that Claire might have been given on another day.

Reznick was going for the jugular, but Lim has her pegged.  She did it to hope that she couldn't get fired for being a whistle-blower, but Lim sees through that.  She knows that something is up.  And Reznick trying to rattle Shaun to fail on the surgery table - that's seriously cold blooded.

I totally understand that Reznick is devastated.  All those years spent trying to measure up in her family.  Finally becoming a surgeon with all the years of training required and then RA comes down from the skies to smite her.  She's in the anger stage of grief, but she needs to move past this and find another way that she can still be a doctor - she can still be a perfectly good and successful doctor in many other fields, but she's going to have to let surgery go.

As for the whole Carly and Lea thing - seriously show?

You force Lea to move out of the apartment - which in a real life situation would be a complicated and very shitty thing to force someone to do that quickly.  Then Carly is upset that Shaun is still friends with her.  Now she breaks up with him because after one karaoke song, she is convinced that they are pining away for each other.

Lea has already said multiple times that she is not interested in Shaun romantically.  Shaun has made a lot of effort to work on his relationship with Carly, and she's already behaving somewhat immaturely with this whole thing - and then she breaks up with him?  Way to piss me off show!

Men and women can just be friends.  I have a few male friends.  I enjoy spending time with them and we can hang out and do stuff, but I am not interested.  I will never be interested.  They are not my type physically.  They don't have the same goals and/or values that I need in a life partner.  Many of them are already attached and I've been married forever.  Really - can't men and women just be friends?  That is the one thing I loved about the show Elementary the most: The show was about a man and a woman who loved each other dearly and would do absolutely anything for each other - but there was never a speck of romance between them.

• Love 6

Throughout the history of the show, Resnick has shown that she has no clue about how romantic relationships work.  She is pound for the pound the absolute worst when it comes to any sort of insight.  With this ep, her track record is still 100% wrong.  LOL.

I did not like Carly and Shaun as a couple.  I did at first but over time I think any potential  they had got smothered under bad writing that leached anyway any chemistry they may have had early.  That said, I do like Carly.  So I hate that she was basically used as canon fodder for Leah, a character I intensely disliked from the start.  A character the writers had to pretzel themselves into making a space for in the story and narrative.  I will say for a romance that I had come to feel was not great, I thought the break up scene was sad and I felt bad for both Shaun and Carly.  And I liked the use of 'The One I Love.'  I am a  sucker for a great cover.  The Watchmen on HBO did an episode where the background music throughout the episode were different covers of 'Careless Whisper' and, like 4 or 5 of them,  it was awesome!

So my takeaway from Park and Resnick both filing a complaint is that Park is a whiner and Resnick is an calculator.  Of the two, I actually respect Resnick's hustle more because it was a smart move on her part.  Yeah, I am also glad Lim is waaay onto her and told her what's what, but at least there is more of a compelling reason behind her complaint.  Meanwhile Park is feeding down and kissing up both.  And his complaint just comes off as pissy and juvenile because as I said re: last week, neither of the two instances we were shown of Melendez agreeing with Claire, rose to the level of favoritism, imo.   And you know what, what if a string of Claire's ideas as presented on patient care were better than Park's each time? Should Melendez have not decided to go with what he felt was best just in the interest of being egalitarian?  And in filing a complaint shouldn't you have had to present compelling reasons?  Show a pattern?  Or at least show that a detrimental outcome was the result of such favoritism?

I loved how Claire presented the whole thing as a matter of mentorship and yeah. a little sexism as well.  But my shipper heart still goes pitter-pat (yeah... I know...) because I head wank that while Claire sees it as a mentor/mentee relationship Melendez is very aware he is favoring Claire and not just for professional reasons (bow-chicka-wow-woww).

• Love 8

I never thought Shaun/Carly would last, but this was even quicker than I imagined.

IMO Lea’s an asshole. In the nightclub scene, she sees Shaun and Carly kissing, already knowing she’s causing some problems between them. So what does she do? Instead of a quick, casual hi, or better yet leaving them the hell alone, she comes over and yells “SHAUNYYYY!!!”  (that came across possessive as hell) — ignoring Carly — and then basically invites herself and her latest fling (can’t recall if she even bothered to introduce him) to hang out with them, completely destroying the mood. WHO DOES THAT?! She behaves like even though she doesn’t want Shaun, she doesn’t want anyone else to have him either.

And the eating off Shaun’s plate — ARGH. Do that to me and I’ll be sorely tempted to stab your hand with my fork! It seems really out of character for him not to be severely annoyed by that.

• Love 16

Not gonna lie, I’m not upset that Carly and Shaun broke up.  Their relationship was mostly just a struggle to watch, and frankly I got so tired of hearing Shaun blather on about his sex life.  It seemed a little juvenile.  As for Leah, I don’t know if he is in love with her, or she him, but they do seem a little proprietary with each other, especially Leah. 

I agree that Park and Reznick both filed complaints, because I really don’t think Park would cop to something in order to protect her when they don’t seem particularly close. 

• Love 4

After the elevator incident, it was like Lea was intentionally provoking Carly during the karoke scene.  Like someone mentioned above, the skanky way she was acting with dude on the dance floor, then comes over to Shaun & Carly, screaming Shaun's name - just acting like a total jealous witch.  

I also agree with CarpeFelis above, she really doesn't want Shaun as a lover or the special man in her life, but she doesn't want anyone else to have him either.  If he's unattached, she can manipulate him all the more.  That's why she resents Shaun and Glassman's relationship. 

Carly and Shaun did not have any chemistry whatsoever and I'm glad it's over.  She poured everything into making the relationship work and it wasn't enough because Shaun isn't in love with Carly.  He's in lust with her now that he's no longer a virgin.  He has always loved Lea who doesn't love him back.  She does things to hurt him, upset him, disappoint him and it doesn't phase her one bit.

I hope she breaks his heart in a gazillion pieces and leaves the show for good.  Maybe then the show can get back to letting Shaun be "The Good Doctor" the show is designed to be about.

They need to give Claire a nice boyfriend, who is not a doctor, so she can move on.  It's apparent the writers are trying to hook Claire and Melendez up and it would be a disaster for the show.  Look what happened with Lim & Melendez.  The writers now pretend like their affair never happened. 

It a good show without all the sexual antics and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.  I like that Resnick has an issue that has nothing to do with a man or a romance.  They made Claire out to be a $2 hooker after her mom died.  Why I don't know.  It didn't fit in with anything.  Claire is always the punching bag for this show and I'm kind of tired of it.  If she and Melendez hooks up, we know who's going to be left holding the bag.

Edited by Evagirl
typo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

And the eating off Shaun’s plate — ARGH. Do that to me and I’ll be sorely tempted to stab your hand with my fork! It seems really out of character for him not to be severely annoyed by that.

I was a little amused with the whole thing of her eating off his plate and the implications surrounding that because my dad used to tell me about how my mom would often eat off his plate when they were dating :p. 

But yes, I do agree that her interrupting Shaun and Carly when they were kissing was intrusive. It's one thing to meet up with friends at a bar and decide to hang out with them on the spur of the moment, and things were actually going fairly well with that double date at first, which was good to see. But if you know your friend's having a quiet, intimate moment with their girlfriend, and especially if you're aware that said girlfriend has had some reservations about your friendship with him besides...read the room and leave them be. 

My main issue with Shaun/Lea is that even if there is some kind of romantic interest there, now is absolutely not the time for them to even attempt a relationship. Lea's still working out her own life and trying to figure out what she wants. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with that, or her dating around if that's what appeals to her. But it does imply she's not ready for a serious relationship at this time. 

And Shaun, of course, will be extra vulnerable now he's gone through this breakup, and then there's his own complicated history with Lea on top of that. He needs time to work through his feelings about all of that stuff, too, and figure out where to go from there. Maybe someday down the line he and Lea might actually be able to make something work, who knows? But if they try to do it now, it's gonna backfire, big time. 

As for Melendez and Claire, my big issues there, aside from the whole mentor/mentee angle, are the fact that he hasn't had much luck dating women he's worked with, and besides that, doesn't he still want a family of his own? Is Claire even ready for that, or interested in that? I just feel they're at too different of places in their lives for a relationship to work between them even if that's what they wanted. And I get the sense Melendez may want that, but I'm not really getting that same vibe from Claire. 

• Love 4

I really think it's wrong for Melendez to be socializing with any of the people he supervises. If he was going running with and having dinner with Park, I'd feel the same way. It's inappropriate even if it isn't romantic. They can come to him for support at work, but they should not be socializing or meeting off-campus.

It's not just about mentorship what's going on with Claire. You can and should mentor people of all genders. But it IS favoritism when you become mentor to only one of your 4 underlings, and give that person special off-work attention, including meeting at bars.

Glassman is a special mentor to Shaun, but they had a pre-existing relationship and he also isn't Shaun's primary direct supervisor.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, sadtvjunkie said:

SOOO happy Shawn and Carly are done! She looks and acts like an OLD lady instead of a young woman with and boyfriend. I've wanted them to break it off every week. She can now exit stage left and be gone.

I wouldn’t exactly say she looks like an old lady, but she definitely seems too old for Shaun! (Also liked her much better in Fringe.)

• Love 2

If Leah was a true friend to Shaun, she would not do things to cause a rift with his girlfriend.  She has rejected Shaun plenty in the past insisting that she doesn't feel that way about him.  So, turned him away.  She knew that there was potential for jealously  by Carly.  You could tell that she was trying to light a flame of it under Carly when she was asking her about it in the elevator.  It's as if she was insulted that Carly did not consider her a threat, so, what does she do, but, show up in the same place as Shaun to show off her make up techniques and then act too familiar with Shaun.  IMO, a  real friend would not do that. You respect the platonic friend and their lover.  She could just have STAYED IN HER LANE.  I don't see the good in her that Shaun does.  I think she'd stab you in the back in a heartbeat, IF it suits her. She's nice enough, when it suits her, though.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yes, I agree. There had to be two complaints because after Melendez talked to them, someone went to Lim and told her about Melendez's "just come to me directly next time" comment. So, I think Park made the initial complaint and then Morgan took advantage of it to make her own complaint.

I don't care about Shaun and Carly breaking up. I think they've been overdoing it on the romance stories, but I don't think that is going to change. I will hate if they make it that Lea is secretly in love with Shaun though. I can buy him still having feelings for her, but she has never seemed into him romantically. TV shows need to let there be male/female friendships that are really just friendships.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If Leah was a true friend to Shaun, she would not do things to cause a rift with his girlfriend.  She has rejected Shaun plenty in the past insisting that she doesn't feel that way about him.  So, turned him away.  She knew that there was potential for jealously  by Carly.  You could tell that she was trying to light a flame of it under Carly when she was asking her about it in the elevator.  It's as if she was insulted that Carly did not consider her a threat, so, what does she do, but, show up in the same place as Shaun to show off her make up techniques and then act too familiar with Shaun.  IMO, a  real friend would not do that. You respect the platonic friend and their lover.  She could just have STAYED IN HER LANE.  I don't see the good in her that Shaun does.  I think she'd stab you in the back in a heartbeat, IF it suits her. She's nice enough, when it suits her, though.  

THIS. I don’t think she’s in love with Shaun at all. She’s in love with herself and a big attention-whore. I think Shaun having someone else after she had rejected him was a little too much for her ego. So she just had to do all that attention-grabbing stuff (eating off his plate, screaming “SHAUNYYY!!!” right in front of his girlfriend, squashing their romantic mood, showing off with the karaoke...

• Love 5

I hope they don’t do any “Shaun tries to get Carly back” stuff. Anyone want to bet that now he’s single again, Lea will knock off the attention-seeking behavior?

What I’d really like to see is more storyline for Dr. Lim. She and Melendez are my favorite characters. Wish there was a way to get them back together because I really hate where they’re going with Claire/Melendez. Yes, they have chemistry. But I don’t want to see Melendez fired. And Dr. Lim is much more suitable for him than Claire, who seems to still have some growing up to do.

Romantic stuff aside, they really should have Lim mentoring someone too.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oof. Well. That was painful :(. I don't know about the whole "love" thing, though. Shaun is clearly close to Lea, yes, and they get on well, and he may perhaps have a bit of an attraction to her. But I don't know about love. Even if he does have deeper feelings for her, though, I'm not sure she'd reciprocate them. 

What a confusing mess.  I thought Lea had made it clear she didn't have feelings for Shaun, but Morgan and Carly are apparently reading non-verbal clues that say otherwise.  I never really saw Shaun and Carly as lasting, but I'm not keen on going back to Lea.  

I guess Reznick really had me fooled, I thought she had turned the corner.  Maybe people really don't change.

20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Morgan is wrong that women express more non-verbally than men do. Both sexes express the same amount, it's just that women are better at decoding non-verbal behaviour.

I disagree with that, I think women communicate in a much less direct fashion than men do.

20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was really happy that Lea and Carly seemed to have made peace, and the karaoke started out as so much fun! It was so great seeing Shaun up there rocking out in front of a crowd, with a friend and a girlfriend and everything seemed to be so great for a second. 

And here I was going to say that I hope they never show them doing karaoke again.  But everyone else here seemed to enjoy it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Is it just me? I'm finding this season to be very meh.....Andrews is close to becoming my favorite character......

I am but I don’t know if it is for the same reasons.  It is starting to remind me a little bit of House in that the romantic relationships are starting to interfere and overtake the storylines. 

• Love 4