Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Let Them Eat Penis Cake!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Just now, DeeplyShallow said:

And, yet, you are incapable of not being blinded by your hate for Kate when she is clearly enduring hateful, mysogynistic, and dangerous attacks. 

You reap what you sow. Karma is a bitch. It all catches up with you in the end. 

You need to quit while you are ahead. What Kate did to Caroline last season was her ultimate triumph. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, lgprimes said:

I just thought Kate looked exhausted all episode. When she’s too tired to be bothered to put her contact lenses in....

also these guests were chill. I think they were so easy-going that she didn’t feel pressured to put on that high-maintenance servitude attitude that some primaries seem to expect.

Lastly, I do think over-inflated lips tend to create RBF.

I really hope the admiration she and Jemele are expressing for each other is genuine. I like when strong women support each other!

I agree - I think all the women on the boat are emotionally exhausted and it is showing.  Courtney did not have a big smile plastered on her face while serving the welcome champagne to the charter guests - in fact, she looked downright miserable.  

Kate (and Rhylee, I think) spent a decent amount of time crying the night before.  They both woke up saying their eyes were very puffy.  

And, while I don't disagree that Kate does have a stand-offish demeanor at times, she IS the head stew, and has more on her mind than the other stews.  I have found that Kate has always been professional with the guests (with the exception of the blanket penis back in Season 2), maybe just not with a big beaming smile.  

The lead charter guest reversed her first opinion.  Some of her friends disagreed with Jemele's original opinion, and told her so.

If I were a charter guest, would I be put off by Kate when she's in full-blown resting bitch face?  Probably.  Would I call her out on it?  I don't know - I think I give some slack to those who are in supervisory positions as I have been there, and it's not an easy job.  

• Love 20
12 hours ago, dosodog said:

I'm always happy when there's "more cake for everyone"!  I'm just happy when there's cake!

I am completely confused about the penis cake.  I thought that the guests asked for the cake?  And I can't blame Kevin for timing.

They all seemed horrified.* And I don't understand why if they asked for it?  Or did they want a bachelorette party and at the primary meeting, Kevin came up with the cake?

*Except for Kate.  She was gleeful!

Jemele explained the confusion. She said that it was the wrong timing when he brought out the cake. The guests were basically having a deep conversation with Captain Lee and it wasn’t what they were expecting. She also said she would not have been impressed with that cake either, but won’t hold it against him because she realized he was set up by Kate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Jemele said on WWHL that on her fantasy crew she would have Kate as her Chief Stew (and she didn't pick Kevin for either of the chef positions, although she did affirm that his food was delicious).  Just my opinion but Kevin tried to blow off any of his faults for the season and was still blaming Kate.  

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think so.

Kate was a total witch regarding those guests.  Yes, they bonded with Simone, she's a black woman and they were black women.  Nothing wrong with that. 

giphy.gif

Kate bonded instantly with Courtney and no one had a problem with that.  It seems that when we black women do ANYTHING, we're slammed.  Kate was upset because the guests liked Simone more than HER.  And now she wants to sleep with nasty, disgusting Tanner.  

giphy.gif

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeplyShallow said:

And, yet, you are incapable of not being blinded by your hate for Kate when she is clearly enduring hateful, mysogynistic, and dangerous attacks. 

No one's saying that Kate wasn't attacked by the "bro brigade."  Enduring those attacks doesn't make it okay for her to attack a group of black women. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I felt bad for Courtney because Brian’s behavior follows a pattern I’ve seen before. She was barely interested in him or a relationship and he was falling all over himself for her. Finally, the walls break down and she starts to return the interest and now the chase is over and he has to be mean to her so she’ll be sure to get the message he’s not into her instead of manning up and saying that, “yes, it was just a fling”.  Been there.

If I had a dollar for every time this happened to me, I would have my own yacht!  I always end up saying, "wait, you liked ME, I didn't even like YOU!" when I inevitably started to like the guy.  Uuugh is there a playbook for assholes where they explain how to do this to girls?

1 hour ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

You reap what you sow. Karma is a bitch. It all catches up with you in the end. 

You need to quit while you are ahead. What Kate did to Caroline last season was her ultimate triumph. 

I keep forgetting that I hate Kate for what she did to Caroline!  I start to like her, but then I remember how she went after a crazy person.

6 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

When did Kate attack a group of black women?

She didn't... I am not sure where that conversation is going.  😕

• Love 8
8 hours ago, scrb said:

Penis cake is a setup.  If they didn’t put it on their preference sheets, he wouldn’t have bothered to spend all that time.

No way they’d serve a penis cake unless they asked for it.  Previous night they were playing with all the fake dicks at the party.  Bet that was all for the cameras.

Just as this feigned offense.

This was a bachelorette trip.
The primary asked for a dick cake.  
Brian called Kate a “dick” for suggesting he use a light weight plastic container instead of a glass one for lunch. Containers Kate and staff would have to pack, carry, unpack and carry again.

Kate waited for her moment to get Brian where it hurts.

The primary began the day with a shot of whiskey and drank all day. Chances were high she would not make it to cake reveal.  Kate failed to mention the primary had gone to her cabin midway through dinner.

Dick cake was a total letdown. Brian deserves the ED he experienced in front of guests and Capt Lee.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, hisbunkie said:

This was a bachelorette trip.
The primary asked for a dick cake.  
Brian called Kate a “dick” for suggesting he use a light weight plastic container instead of a glass one for lunch. Containers Kate and staff would have to pack, carry, unpack and carry again.

Kate waited for her moment to get Brian where it hurts.

The primary began the day with a shot of whiskey and drank all day. Chances were high she would not make it to cake reveal.  Kate failed to mention the primary had gone to her cabin midway through dinner.

Dick cake was a total letdown. Brian deserves the ED he experienced in front of guests and Capt Lee.

You mean Kevin. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, esco1822 said:

Brian is the Bru who made Courtney cry again this week. Because he can't always be the nice guy. 

When he was whining to Tanner afterwards at first he made it sound like she was just randomly crying again for no reason which made me want to punch him right on his stupid cut up nose.  By the end he did at least mention that they'd talked again and she was crying again and he felt bad.  Too little too late for me though.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

Well she did keep going on and on and on about how the guest was a "bitch" to her, so there is that.  She's not St. Kate to me at all, especially after the way she treated Simone.  Sure Simone was a shit stew, but Kate didn't know that when she immediately bonded with Courtney.  I can't stand either of them, especially Courtney with her....tears.  If Simone had been crying no one would have given a shit.

But IMO, the men this season were crap and it started with their leader, Ashton who acted like a child, and his "bros" followed the leader.

giphy.gif

• Love 6

Kevin was really into making the penis cake. His jokes were especially unfunny. However, Tanner leaning in all creepily excited about the 'girth' of the penis cake was bizarre. 

The guests seemed fun and easy going. The Kate and Jemele interaction seemed like forced drama to make the episode seem more interesting. #fail

I agree with the poster who said Brian was all about the chase with Courtenay. Now that she's developed strong feeling for him, it was time to dump her.  Also, it was really irritating when she was trying to talk to him, he shut her down and called her a bru. I never want to hear that word ever again. 

I'm hoping Kate is fucking with Tanner and not actually going to fuck him. He's absolutely disgusting. I don't like any of the bru crew but he really grosses me out. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, esco1822 said:

I'm not sure that's any better. You can hate a person and still recognize and verbalize that the people treating them poorly are wrong. I'll show you, I hate Kevin and I think it was a shitty thing for Kate to have sent him out with the cake without having told him the primary went to bed. Kate endured things this season nobody should ever have to endure and nobody DESERVES to endure. That is a very dangerous stance to take. 

Oh I don’t think it’s better. I think it’s revolting.

Edited because I just saw the Mod’s post

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

Kevin was really into making the penis cake. His jokes were especially unfunny. However, Tanner leaning in all creepily excited about the 'girth' of the penis cake was bizarre. 

Also, what was with whatever he used for the pubes? It looked like a purple santa's beard or cotton candy to me. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, bencr said:

With regard to Kevin's cake, I think there is a thin line between erotic and obscene, and I think Kevin crossed that line. That may help explain the reaction.

I thought the whole thing about penis cake and such at bachelorette parties is to be slightly shocking, obscene, and funny.  I didn’t quite get why Kevin interpreted “erect penis cake“ to mean it had to be quite so 3D, but I did applaud him for the effort and think if Jemele had been there for the presentation she would have laughed long and loud.

Unfortunately, it was brought out (ha, thanks Kate!) just when the captain and the other guests were enjoying a serious conversation. Probably the most relaxed and engaged I’ve ever seen the captain at a guest dinner. The cake was a shock because no one knew Jemele had requested it.  Still not sure why Kevin didn’t make it for the party the previous night, it would’ve been quite a hit then!

Edited by RedHawk
Siri doesn’t understand the correct use of contractions
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I didn’t quite get why Kevin interpreted “erect penis cake“ to mean it had to be quite so 3D, but I did applaud him for the effort and think if Jemele had been there for the presentation she would have laughed long and loud.

In fairness to Kevin, that was Kate's suggestion. I'm not sure how Jemele would have liked it though, based only on what she said on WWHL last night. One of the poll questions for the audience and her was whether or not they would have liked (or eaten?--I don't specifically remember the wording) the cake and she said no, as did the vast majority of voters. Kate suggested it be standing up, the rest was all Kevin. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Well she did keep going on and on and on about how the guest was a "bitch" to her, so there is that

Well Jemele’s first real words about Kate were that she was going to cuss her out if Kevin’s food was bad so it wasn’t like she was warm and fuzzy. Anyway both on Twitter and WWHL she said she loved Kate and Kate said they were her favorite charter guests.

Edited by biakbiak
M
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

In fairness to Kevin, that was Kate's suggestion. I'm not sure how Jemele would have liked it though, based only on what she said on WWHL last night. One of the poll questions for the audience and her was whether or not they would have liked (or eaten?--I don't specifically remember the wording) the cake and she said no, as did the vast majority of voters. Kate suggested it be standing up, the rest was all Kevin. 

Thanks for the info that it was Kate’s suggestion, I missed that. Of course, she wanted to make it as difficult as possible for Kevin (ha!). He did “rise” to the challenge! 

I kept waiting for her or someone else to make a remark that she knew all about making penis shapes, or was that rocket shapes?

Why not eat it? It’s CAKE!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

Calling your charter guests out their name is attacking them. She called them b’s and c’s just because Jemele asked her if they were annoying her. That’s not okay.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, spunky said:

Calling your charter guests out their name is attacking them. She called them b’s and c’s just because Jemele asked her if they were annoying her. That’s not okay.

She called Jemele a bitch not all of them. And Jemele did not just ask her if they were annoying her. She repeatedly asked her over and over again if they were annoying her to which Kate said no and apologized for making them feel that way and Jemele than kept it up and said she was going to do it until she annoyed her. Anyway they clearly made up.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 24
23 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

It was a jelly roll with ganache.

I don’t know the flavor of the bottom layer..... but it looks good. Topped with his usual candied nuts. 

When they are arguing Kate (next episode) calls him a baker.

Now that she brings it to my attention. Maybe that is his strong point.  Desserts.

Everyone loves his desserts. Kevin elevated that penis cake!

The cake Andy had on WWHL......that looked basic! 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

She called Jemele a bitch not all of them. And Jemele did not just ask her if they were annoying her. She repeatedly asked her over and over again if they were annoying her to which Kate said no and apologized for making them feel that way and Jemele than kept it up and said she was going to do it until she annoyed her. Anyway they clearly made up.

I would have asked her too if we were annoying her. Their interactions with Simone and the deck crew were all fun and upbeat. Then in comes Kate looking like she couldn’t be bothered. I agree with Jemele 100%. If I’m paying all of that money for a private charter I expect you to at least fake a damn smile and act like you want to be there. 

2 minutes ago, nytonc said:

Everyone complains about guests. We’ve prob heard every member of the crew mumble something under their breath.  I really doubt Kate called them what she did because of the color of their skin. 

I meant in general. It’s not okay for any staff member to complain or call the guests names. At the end of the day, they’re tipping them and they’re expecting the staff to be respectful.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, spunky said:

would have asked her too if we were annoying her.

There is a difference between asking once and than not taking the answer and apology and repeatedly asking and saying you were going to try to actively annoy her. One of the other guests even told Kate that she should cuss Jemele out. Clearly, Jemele gets along fine with Kate now and said she would be on her dream crew. 

• Love 14
16 hours ago, jkitty said:

I was disappointed with this episode. I like Jamele Hill in the “real” world. I appreciate that she has put her values before money and really stood up for what she believes in on certain issues. I was looking forward to seeing her tonight. I liked the “realness” of her and her friends. No makeup. Laughing. Having fun. Being rowdy. but the weirdness with Kate felt forced. Either it was for the show or editing did not lay enough foundation to set it up. And then it was over as quickly as it started. 

I have been neutral on Simone this season but it seems weird to me how much she hates Kate. Again, lack of foundation. Is it because of laundry? Because of Tanner? Neither is really a thing. We have seen her on service plenty now. And she hasn’t actually done anything with tanner besides a 1-second “friend kiss.” If it is because of the “you might not be a great second stew,” Simone needs thicker skin. That might not have been the nicest way to express displeasure but if that makes Kate the worst person she has ever worked with (when the brus including one who dumped her mid-charter and is pursing her boss are right there), her standards are very weird  

I can’t with the brus. Even Brian has lost his last shred of potential. Kevin’s face when he walked out to silence was everything. I loved the montage of him saying how horrible Kate is contrasted with her perfectly reasonable questions or responses to him. 

I think these ladies were familiar w the show, at least w Capt & Kate & Jemele was on a mission. I did appreciate her apology & otherwise these guests were fun!

• Love 5

In the last two seasons Kate has continued to push Ashton into his old role as a sex worker. She pushed to have him strip and give lap dances for the guests amusement. She also set up the eating sushi off of Bruno’s naked body.

Would that acceptable if they did that to Courtney if she were a former stripper? Or is it only acceptable to do it to men?

I think Ashton was totally wrong in his advances to Kate and he should have been fired. Of course Kate continually does things that would normally result in her termination for cause. This is a TV show. A reality TV show. It’s just not gonna happen.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

She pushed to have him strip and give lap dances for the guests amusement. She also set up the eating sushi off of Bruno’s naked body.

She asked him every tine if he would do it. He is a grown man who immediately agreed, she isn’t his boss and he didn’t have to do it.

• Love 17

6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think so.

Kate was a total witch regarding those guests.  Yes, they bonded with Simone, she's a black woman and they were black women.  Nothing wrong with that. 

giphy.gif

Kate bonded instantly with Courtney and no one had a problem with that.  It seems that when we black women do ANYTHING, we're slammed.  Kate was upset because the guests liked Simone more than HER.  And now she wants to sleep with nasty, disgusting Tanner.  

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Did anyone at any point (including Kate) say that was a problem???  I don't think Kate gave a crap how they felt about Simone nor do I think her contemplating sex with Tanner has anything to do with Simone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really do not think this is a race issue AT ALL.

3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

No one's saying that Kate wasn't attacked by the "bro brigade."  Enduring those attacks doesn't make it okay for her to attack a group of black women. 

4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm at a loss as to what any of this has to do with what I said in my post.  I didn't mention the guests at all.  I was referring to Simone finding friendship with the idiot, woman-hating deckhands (one of whom also treated her like shit).  If you can make a case for racism in that, go ahead.  Just leave me out of it, please.

Subconscious bias is bias. Yachting and a number of high end services are notorious for treating Black customers terribly. Black customers are stereotyped as being difficult and cheap. Was there anything that Jemele and friends did that was out of bounds or particularly taxing? Drunk ass Brandy needed the crew to extricate from the island and rush a doctor to her. There were those assholes who told Hannah to find them a direct flight to some place warm. Jemele was minor in that respect. Additionally, there are very few Black stews. However if you're aware that Black people are discriminated against in this industry, it's possible to view Jemele's comments as sincerely trying to make sure the group hadn't irritated the staff and to make sure their service wouldn't get demonstrably worse.

That being said, I think Jemele's comments were 1/3 Jamele being "on" as provocateur Jamele Hill, 1/3 as a fan of Below Deck, and 1/3 as a worldly Black woman who has traveled and knows about the not so stealth shit Black people have to put up with.

• Love 6

I would still like to know what my post about Simone buddying up to the douche-hands has to do with discrimination or lack thereof against the black guests.  Please stop quoting me and lumping my post in with others that don't relate in any way to what I said.  My post was about lack of self-esteem on the part of a woman who should hold herself as high in practice as she does in theory.  If Simone wants to align herself with men who have no respect for her simply because she hates Kate for calling her out as incompetent and they also hate Kate, good luck to her in the rest of her life.  I predict it will not go well for her.  The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

• Love 23
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would still like to know what my post about Simone buddying up to the douche-hands has to do with discrimination or lack thereof against the black guests.  Please stop quoting me and lumping my post in with others that don't relate in any way to what I said.  My post was about lack of self-esteem on the part of a woman who should hold herself as high in practice as she does in theory.  If Simone wants to align herself with men who have no respect for her simply because she hates Kate for calling her out as incompetent and they also hate Kate, good luck to her in the rest of her life.  I predict it will not go well for her.  The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

Simone has major daddy issues--he left her family and started a whole new one not far away--and other men have let her down. She should have focused on learning how to make a good cocktail instead of waking up next to a douche. I wonder what her mum said after seeing the show,

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, politichick said:

Simone has major daddy issues--he left her family and started a whole new one not far away--and other men have let her down. She should have focused on learning how to make a good cocktail instead of waking up next to a douche. I wonder what her mum said after seeing the show,

This100%!!  But she does have that oft touted math degree to fall back on. She’ll need it because her stew skills definitely need improvement. To add insult to injury, she turned out to greet the guests wearing the wrong skirt.  I don’t think Kate treated her all that badly all season. The 3rd stew almost always ends up hating the job and Kate. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I feel like I have a greater understanding of Simone and Brian's character now that I've heard their backstories.

Both were abandoned by their fathers, Brian's father to death and Simone's to another family. Either loss can really mess your head but wow, Simone's story was heartbreaking. It was more heartbreaking to see where this abandonment has led her, to seek out emotionally unavailable men and suffer the consequences of more rejection.

Brian has taken his hard scrabble life and created bizarre rules about loyalty and kin. I wonder if he thinks about how much loyalty he's shown Courtney?
People don't need blind loyalty from their friends, they need loyalty and sometimes to be told an ugly truth. I think that no matter what the facts are, and how many times he's told and by whom, he will always be loyal to Ashton (and Tanner and Kevin) and their combined behaviors on the boat. When he bought them all friendship bracelets he was like a middle school girl solidifying her friendships by icing out another girl. It was classic middle school mean girl behavior. Sad to see it in a grown man, especially a "man" so determined never to look in the mirror and see where he might improve.
I still think if he'd played his cards better he could come back next season as the bosun. Kate like him (before he called her a bitch) and she has pull.

Simone would benefit from some extended counseling to address and heal the horrible hurt she is feeling from her father abandoning her family and setting up a new family that he lives with and openly loves. I just can't imagine the hurt that accompanies that kind of behavior. I'm thinking higher of her now because I realize what she's been through and her determination to become a better person, worthy of love. It's a good start Simone, but your work is not done!

The Captain really enjoys people of substance, especially women of substance, and that is who he dined with on this charter. A serious discussion about what gives life meaning and suddenly here comes idiot Kevin with his ill-timed cake. If he'd served it the night before, perfect. That night during the discussion of substance and merit was pure delight to me. Watching Kate take her petty revenge like that was awesome. She has so few options to get back. I think Kevin deserves a sharp kick in the nuts, maybe six of seven kicks, but that is not going to happen so this was satisfying in it's place. I hope she can land another figurative punch before the show is over. 

But I'm ready for this season to be over. Before it began I was telling a friend that I like the Below Deck shows but BD was so far superior to BDMed. She decided to watch it on my recommendation and then this season unfolded. Yikes!!   
I'm not able to sit and watch the shows at this point. I'll have it on while I'm washing dishes, organizing papers, or something else that distances me from the events on the show.

If you watch the advertisements for the show it's clear that it's mostly women that watch. The imbecilic bru crew should have figured that out before filming and catered a bit to the viewers.
Instead they became the cancer to this show. And like a cancer they need to be completely rooted out and disposed of. I never want to see any of them again.
Ever. 
Okay, maybe for reunion. Although I'm not sure I can watch it if the guys haven't figured out how horrible they've been all season.

Edited by lcarolynl
Forgot to include a word
  • Love 7