Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: A Hard Pill to Swallow

• Start Topic

Richard finds out Maggie quit Grey Sloan, and he is concerned about how she's handling the death of her patient; Bailey returns to work after taking some personal time; Meredith thinks she might miss DeLuca; Amelia updates Link on her pregnancy.

Promo:

Original air date: 1/30/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

'k, I actually laughed out loud at Meredith untying Amelia's shoe. I might just be tired but that was funny.

For the love of god, get a paternity test before you tell Owen, please. 

I called the kid vaping as soon as they said he was coughing up blood. New Amsterdam had a kid-dying-from-vaping story last night, too. (Actually I don't remember if he died or not.)

Did they do an x-ray just because Leo threw up? Or did I miss something explaining why he needed it?

What kind of bar keeps fish where customers can just grab them and swallow several of  them without an employee noticing?

Dr. Yang. A nightmare. lol

Asshole-for-no-real-reason-then-shows-his-soft-side-for-five-minutes Koracik is getting old.

• Love 6

I don’t understand the deal with Leo either. It seemed like he came into a scene out of nowhere and Teddy and Owen were talking about him not feeling well. Boom, there was an X-ray and surprise, he had swallowed her ring. Unless I missed something, it made no sense at all.

I’m disappointed in Link. I thought he loved Amelia for more reasons than her being pregnant with a baby he thought was his.

• Love 7

I don’t care about Maggie’s plight. At all. 

Team Link for sure. The first thing Amelia should’ve done once she learned how far along she was is get a paternity test. 

Dr. McWidow Hayes is here, sent by Cristina, has the life experience to understand Meredith on tangible levels, yet her dumb ass is still mooning over Deloser.  

What are they doing to Koracick and why? It’s like they’re treating him as collateral damage to make the other males look good. 

I really and truly don’t understand the writers choices. 

I miss Alex. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I don’t care about Maggie’s plight. At all. 

Team Link for sure. The first thing Amelia should’ve done once she learned how far along she was is get a paternity test. 

Dr. McWidow Hayes is here, sent by Cristina, has the life experience to understand Meredith on tangible levels, yet her dumb ass is still mooning over Deloser.  

What are they doing to Koracick and why? It’s like they’re treating him as collateral damage to make the other males look good. 

I really and truly don’t understand the writers choices. 

I miss Alex. 

DeLoser, hahahahaha! I miss Alex also. Are they ever going to offer an explanation as to why he’s still “at his mother’s” or just going to pretend he never existed?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, pieinmyeye said:

I don’t understand the deal with Leo either. It seemed like he came into a scene out of nowhere and Teddy and Owen were talking about him not feeling well. Boom, there was an X-ray and surprise, he had swallowed her ring. Unless I missed something, it made no sense at all.

It would have been funnier if they had just changed his diaper later and found the ring that way, after tearing the place apart looking for it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Asshole-for-no-real-reason-then-shows-his-soft-side-for-five-minutes Koracik is getting old.

Exactly. Why is he still around? 

I'm so tired of Maggie’s pity party. 

Don’t really care about the Irish doctor or that he was a “gift” from Yang.

Since Korev has left the show, can we get rid of Jo too?

Why am I still watching this show?? 

• Love 5

I didn’t mind the episode other than the Teddy/Owen stuff.  It almost seems like it was just an excuse for them to leave the room so that Amelia couldn’t tell them about the baby. My guess is that Jo will accidentally spill the beans to one of them not realizing that Amelia hadn’t said anything yet. 

• Love 2

Maggie's back.  Yawn.  I just don't care.

She had the ring when she was showing it to Amelia but some how Leo swallowed it? 

If you're going to do a story about vaping, include all the facts.  The people who are getting sick, are vaping THC or buying dirty products off the streets.  I'm not saying it's ok for teenagers to vape.  There's just a lot of misinformation out there.  Alcohol is by far a more serious problem than vaping.  The statistics are staggering.

Anything about catfish make me cringe.

I do like someone going up against Mer.  But we haven't got to the part when he 'sees' she's the sun.  It could work if he doesn't get there.  He seems to be just as qualified as her.

I did like the scene with Koracick and Bailey.

Maybe Catherine will divorce Richard and go away....  Yeah.  Probably no.

• Love 4

I hope we're heading towards the end of Catherine. Isn't she based on the East Coast and we just see her visiting Seattle? She owns Grey Sloan but doesn't work there. If she and Richard split up we should see far less of her.

Also, Vic is going to be so glad she dragged Dean to dinner next week. Always nice to have a friend when things turn awkward. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Also, Vic is going to be so glad she dragged Dean to dinner next week. Always nice to have a friend when things turn awkward. 

Is he the one who asked Maggie out way back when?

1 hour ago, pieinmyeye said:

I’m disappointed in Link. I thought he loved Amelia for more reasons than her being pregnant with a baby he thought was his.

Yeah, Link lost a few points in my book as well.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

This.

14 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Maggie's back.  Yawn.  I just don't care.

And this.

15 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I do like someone going up against Mer.  But we haven't got to the part when he 'sees' she's the sun.

Definitely this.

11 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I hope we're heading towards the end of Catherine.

Amen.

• Love 10

Sarah Rafferty and Lindy Booth!  Great to see you and all that red hair! Also kudos to Rafferty for being willing to realistic post-surgery and not wear makeup.

I really liked Richard in this episode and how he took care of Maggie. More than I ever have before.  However writers, Richard is 60. There were no time outs 50 years ago.

YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE MISTAKE, MAGGIE. THE PERFUSIONIST DID.

Catherine remains a bitch. Way to dump on Richard when he's suffering the loss of his niece.

Linc, I understand you're in shock. But you're a bum. [tm The Paper Bag Princess] You were having a fling with Amelia, no promises and certainly no promises of fidelity. Since you've actually been together, she's been faithful to you.  And what kind of a soap opera are you GA? You've killed the only romantic relationship I enjoyed.

Uncommon opinion:  I like Deluca. He's smart, kind, and good with Meredith's kids when she is too busy for them. The only liability to him is that he doesn't have the experience and status of McWidower.  McWidower himself seems okay too albeit on the hysterical side. The least worthy part of this triangle is Meredith. And why can't she tell him that she knows Cristina? Isn't basic honesty important in a potential relationship?

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Did they do an x-ray just because Leo threw up? Or did I miss something explaining why he needed it

No, they did an X-ray just because he threw up even though Owen thought another kid had given him a bug.  I certainly wouldn't expose my toddler to unnecessary X-rays but then, I never left my ring out in a place she could get it. either. {Greg House voice: I'm sorry, I mistook you for doctors, not idiots.]

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

No, they did an X-ray just because he threw up even though Owen thought another kid had given him a bug.  I certainly wouldn't expose my toddler to unnecessary X-rays but then, I never left my ring out in a place she could get it. either. {Greg House voice: I'm sorry, I mistook you for doctors, not idiots.]

So another parallel with New Amsterdam because Max had a bunch of unnecessary tests done on his kid last week, too. These writers need to stop cheating off each other's papers.

What did they think an xray was going to accomplish? They didn't suspect he'd swallowed the ring, and an xray isn't going to show them anything if he has a stomach bug or just ate something that disagreed with him (the two possibilities they actually mentioned).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

I hate McWidower because he exists solely to be yet one more person to fall in love with Our Lady of the Sun.  There is literally no other reason for him to be, and it's so fucking stupid.  I'd rather he and DeLuca fell in love, leaving OLotS to rot alone be a fucking parent for a change focus on herself.

The metaphor the writers were failing at comparing the catfish dipshit and his awful fiancée to Linc and Amelia was so stupid.  I saw Amelia be honest and loving with Linc, and while she waited a few days to process the news herself, she didn't wait what I would consider to be too long to tell him.  The "when someone shows you who he/she is over and over again, believe him/her" thing...I don't know, to me, Amelia showed him that she loved him and was trying to handle things maturely, honestly, and lovingly while emphasizing how much she loved him in the process.  Her actions didn't come across to me in at all the negative way the show was trying to portray them as (or was trying to portray Linc as believing them to be).  His reaction just felt off, and I didn't really believe it.  I will say I was thiiiiiiiissssssss close to deleting the show from my DVR, but then he didn't break up with her.  You're on such thin ice, show.

I laughed at the Richard/Catherine scene at the end because it was such a random scene in this episode, and it was so stupid.  Catherine will never not be the biggest dickhead ever.  Richard, I often can't stand you, but go call Jasmine Guy over to your house and bone her on your and Catherine's bed right in front of her!  She'll drop dead of a stroke (because that cancer of hers sure isn't doing the job), and the world I will rejoice!

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 15

In a vacuum I like the new doctor Cormac.. He's competent and level headed which a show like this needs when the majority of the characters can go pretty close to the ledge... As a match for Meredith while she's still in the middle of figuring out what's up with Deluca, I'm less a fan of... He's a widow and age appropriate he's taking over for Alex.. He's got a stamp of a approval from Cristina... Its all a bit too much.. I'd prefer if he stayed  single dad and struck up a friendship with one of the guys... I enjoyed Deluca only calling Meredith for doctor advice.. While I was upset with the show last week for making it Deluca was in the wrong for asking Meredith to figure her self out.. This week he skipped over the relationship drama and spoke to her like the genius doctor she is and asked for help... pretty mature if you ask me... Richard and Maggie was great.. Totally agree that's why you don't operate on fam... Overall a well done episode nobody was too much everything that happened made sense.. Looking forward to next week

• Love 8

3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

The metaphor the writers were failing at comparing the catfish dipshit and his awful fiancée to Linc and Amelia was so stupid.  I saw Amelia be honest and loving with Linc, and while she waited a few days to process the news herself, she didn't wait what I would consider to be too long to tell him.  The "when someone shows you who they are over and over again, believe him/her" thing...I don't know, to me, Amelia showed him that she loved him and was trying to handle things maturely, honestly, and lovingly while emphasizing how much she loved him in the process.  Her actions didn't come across to me in at all the negative way the show was trying to portray them as (or was trying to portray Linc as believing them to be).  His reaction just felt off, and I didn't really believe it. 

This... Link had the right to be disappointed and even furious. It doesn't change the fact that Amelia never treated him badly. With him she was always the best version of herself. I don't understand this metaphor about showing who they are.

Edited by asiasrasia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't like him from jump.. Still don't for the most part... But the actor really sells his more tender moments and the jerkiness so well... 

• Love 7

Boy some folks really can't stand Maggie... A perfectionist who a big part of her self image is how competent she is.. Whos always longed for family.. Right after a pretty devestating breakup Meets some family instantly gravitates towards it  and in the blink of an eye is partly responsible for the death of said family... Because a mistake ( that seems reasonable to me.. But I guess could've been avoided)  she made and in top of that gets sued By her uncle.. Her father initially can't even look at her..  I mean that's a lot... Karev nearly beat a guy to death.. Hell so did Jo.. Kepner abandoned her husband to go almost get killed in a war zone.. Ppl on this show have done and reacted a lot worse and not faced the wrath on all the message boards I've seen directed at Maggie. 

As for Link... I dunno what ppl are expecting from him... If Owen  is the dad their whole future changes from what he was probably imagining.. And I don't think he was angry about it possibly being owen's ( cuz they weren't together like that)  I think he was miffed that Amelia was like it doesn't matter... When that's just delusional 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

The metaphor the writers were failing at comparing the catfish dipshit and his awful fiancée to Linc and Amelia was so stupid.  I saw Amelia be honest and loving with Linc, and while she waited a few days to process the news herself, she didn't wait what I would consider to be too long to tell him.  The "when someone shows you who they are over and over again, believe him/her" thing...I don't know, to me, Amelia showed him that she loved him and was trying to handle things maturely, honestly, and lovingly while emphasizing how much she loved him in the process.  Her actions didn't come across to me in at all the negative way the show was trying to portray them as (or was trying to portray Linc as believing them to be).  His reaction just felt off, and I didn't really believe it.  I will say I was thiiiiiiiissssssss close to deleting the show from my DVR, but then he didn't break up with her.  You're on such thin ice, show.

I agree with this. If anything, this is tremendous growth for Amelia as a character. A couple of seasons ago...hell, maybe even last season, she would have waited a couple of weeks before ever deciding to tell him. Here, she was trying to find the kindest way to break the news. I get if Link's issue was solely about the paternity test and Amelia's reluctance to get it. But the show presented Link's issue with the paternity itself. And, yes, the stupid "when someone shows you who they are over and over, believe them" is absolutely ridiculous. Amelia wasn't being cruel...and, quite frankly, Link doesn't know Amelia well enough to use that phrase. It's not like Amelia has been flip flopping between Link and Owen for a full season. Once she got together with Link, she was all in with Link. She never lied about her thing with Owen so...I dunno, it doesn't quite sit well with me. 

They really need to stop making Tom so hostile and then turn it around. I love Tom, I do, but it's getting tiring this season. That being said, still liked his conversation with Bailey at the end. When they write him right, he's really a loveable guy.

Meredith is...taking on some of Derek's worst qualities. Her beginning scene with Deluca felt very Derek-esque with the smugness. I don't know if it was supposed to come across that way, but her confidence felt more like an ego trip. Again, not a horrible thing, but it felt like early series Derek when he was pursuing Meredith. I don't think I like it.

McWidow is pretty solid. I like him, but I'm wary. He should really run from Meredith, at this point.

At least Maggie's storyline had nothing to do with Jackson, which is a plus. It wasn't necessarily fun to watch, but Kelly McCreary did an excellent job, even if I was frustrated with it.

Oh, look. Catherine wants to divorce Richard. I don't necessarily blame her, but I'm also not surprised in the slightest. I didn't think these two would last, just because of Catherine's personality and Richard's half-cheating with whats-her-face. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Maggie referencing "my distaste for sharing my emotions" was hilarious.

It's probably that grey gene, or not even grey I guess, whatever Ellis' last name was. Because Lexie definitely shared her emotions, more than she should sometimes hahaha. 

• Love 1

Two of my favorite moments were Cristina refusing to respond to Meredith's texts with anything besides the shrugging emoji and Meredith untying Amelia's shoe. Those felt like old school Grey's moments. I also loved when Cormac said after the surgery he did with Cristina, she kept leaving him notes saying, "I was right and you were wrong" with drawings of the lung. I was picturing Cristina cackling as she wrote these notes and found places to leave  them.

11 hours ago, pieinmyeye said:

I think he loves Amelia for more than being pregnant but I think he also realized that as the father/possible not father, he was not comfortable with the fact that she kept this information from him and is willing to keep this information from Owen. When she said she didn't need a paternity test, it made it seem like if Linc said he was okay with the situation, she wasn't going to tell Owen that it might be his.

Honestly, I get why Amelia needed a minute to absorb the information before telling Linc because it was a shock to her. But I also see why the way it all played out didn't sit well with Linc.

• Love 8

Richard and Maggie were good. He is actually good at taking to the doctors he cares about, loves, when they are going down the rabbit hole in drunken stupors after they lose important patients. Is was very remenisent off when he went to the trailer when Derek got dark and twisty, and he uses tailed  approaches that would work for each doctor. I hope they don't go down the road and make Maggie and alcoholic. I really like Richard when he is not cheating, I guess though I would not mind if he cheating on Cathrin, they should probably already just get this marriage of life support. It does not seem Catherin cares about Richard. He can he an annoying meddler sometimes but he is fun to watch when he is doing it. I don't mind Maggie much either, I am kind of more indifferent towards her, but don't get all the hate she gets. 

Teddy and Owen were kind go funny I guess, their storyline was the comic relief part of the episode. Though I was just as confused as in why they gave a toddler an x-ray for what seemed to be just a stomach flue. Maybe there was something that thaw cut from the episode. 

Amelia and Link were one of the sweet, easy, innocent couple in the show. True to who said she has been her best version of herself with Link. I see him needing sometime to process this, but Amelia has been good to him. I do hope they can work it out and that the baby is not Owens. That man does not need anymore babies, at this rate he will have a basketball team in a few years. Or maybe they are gearing up to put Link with Jo now that Alex will not be on screen anymore. They will address that though, won't they, or will he be onscreen for the remainder if the episode?

The patient with the fish was funny and so was Jo's I worry about your gender. 

They have to stop with this Tom back and forth. They make him a jerk and give him these sweet moment after. I did like his advise to Bailey. 

That brings us to Meredith. Her untying Amelia's shoe was such a sibling, petty thing to do, I did love it. Her Seattle is known for its coffee totally reminded me of her Seattle is surrounded by water in three sides respond to Derek, right before she jumped him on an elevator. I continue to dislike Deluca and  her and Deluca together. He continues to act like a whiney baby. When Mer was trying to calm him down at the end, it felt to me like a mother talking to a child "its't ok honey mommy will fix it", not like she was taking to a grown adult doctor that will be an attending soon. And this is why I think he is not good for Mer. He is just too child like.  I am liking Yang's present a lot though. He seems to have a presence on screen, be emotionally mature,  does not seem to be afraid to challenge Mer (well yet anyway lol, he will soon learn who the sun is) and it seems like she is liking the challenge anyway. I loved their exchange when they were waiting for the images. It was sweet and I do like Mer sharing her feeling like that. Just realized if they do end up together Mer will have the five chatty children she once talked about. And these two would know how to talk, treat to each other's kids, or what their kids are feeling. Maybe these kids will go in another magical bedroom in la case Grey. It will forever be a mystery on where Mer's kids sleep in that house. Also Mcwidow's stories with Yang were funny "she is a nightmare " or whatever he said. Is Mer going to tell him she knows her? 

Edited by catspjs
  • Love 5

add me in for another person who doesn't care about Maggie's story line.

I am also over Meredith and Delucca...honestly I was never under it.

I am not entirely sold on new guy he seems a little bit off but he's better.

Sigh Amelia.  My opinion here is Amelia has bad judgement.  I don't think jumping into another relationship so fast was wise.  Her and Linc don't know each other.  I mean they slept together and had two dates.  Also the moment she knew how far along she was she should have been upfront with both guys and just had a paternity test.  Not the best situation, but it is what it is.  

Koracik approves personal days now, I could have sworn that was HR.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I saw Amelia be honest and loving with Linc, and while she waited a few days to process the news herself, she didn't wait what I would consider to be too long to tell him.  The "when someone shows you who they are over and over again, believe him/her" thing...I don't know, to me, Amelia showed him that she loved him and was trying to handle things maturely, honestly,

But Amelia also showed him who she was when they were out of town for a conference. They ran into her sister and she let her sisters think he was Owen, because she didn't want to explain about her on-again, off-again relationship drama with Owen. She only acknowledged that Linc was not Owen when her mom confronted her in front of her sisters. 

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I get if Link's issue was solely about the paternity test and Amelia's reluctance to get it. But the show presented Link's issue with the paternity itself. And, yes, the stupid "when someone shows you who they are over and over, believe them" is absolutely ridiculous. Amelia wasn't being cruel...and, quite frankly, Link doesn't know Amelia well enough to use that phrase. It's not like Amelia has been flip flopping between Link and Owen for a full season. Once she got together with Link, she was all in with Link. 

It's not ridiculous, because Amelia has a history of not having the guts to be honest up front. She didn't want her sisters judging her, so she introduced Linc to them as Owen rather than do the mature, adult thing.  She has not been deliberately cruel to him, but in the time he has known her, she has lied about him until confronted by her mother, slept with him and then pulled away soon after breaking up with Owen, and now acted like the paternity of her baby didn't matter because she didn't want to be honest with both Linc and Owen.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think he loves Amelia for more than being pregnant but I think he also realized that as the father/possible not father, he was not comfortable with the fact that she kept this information from him and is willing to keep this information from Owen. When she said she didn't need a paternity test, it made it seem like if Linc said he was okay with the situation, she wasn't going to tell Owen that it might be his.

Honestly, I get why Amelia needed a minute to absorb the information before telling Linc because it was a shock to her. But I also see why the way it all played out didn't sit well with Linc.

This.

1 hour ago, dmc said:

My opinion here is Amelia has bad judgement.  I don't think jumping into another relationship so fast was wise.  Her and Linc don't know each other.  I mean they slept together and had two dates.  Also the moment she knew how far along she was she should have been upfront with both guys and just had a paternity test. 

This.

• Love 4

So disappointed in Link and I really feel for Amelia.  So much for Link loving her for who she is without the baby.  A paternity test should be done before anything is said to Owen.  Why bring Owen and Teddy into the drama if it isn't necessary?  If the baby is Link's or not...  I hope that Amelia cuts off a romantic relationship with him because "when someone shows you who they are, you should believe them" and to me - Link showed he only was invested in a relationship with her because of the baby.

Link KNEW that Amelia was coming off a fresh relationship with Owen when they both threw caution to the wind and slept together.  Why is it always that the woman is at fault?  Link should have maybe been concerned about that before he got in her pants.

The Maggie story line needs to end...  OMG, hasn't she been nursing this thing for like 3 months now??   How can anyone have a job when they don't show up for work that long?  More like Grey Sloan fired her.  Bailey has a miscarriage and doesn't show for 3 days and is given grief... but Maggie can go on like this indefinitely?

Catherine needs to move on.... please.  Richard can do much better then to be stuck under her thumb all the time like she is the sun his world should rotate around

So, Jo is gong to flit around the hospital and pretend she is married when we know that Karev is never coming back?  Or are we just not suppose to notice

I am ok with Mer and Delucca....   or Mer and McWidow...  I guess I just don't ever see her settling down with a man again... So there will always be a new story line there.  What I wonder... is when does she have time with her kids between always being at that hospital or out on a date? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, catspjs said:

It's probably that grey gene, or not even grey I guess, whatever Ellis' last name was. Because Lexie definitely shared her emotions, more than she should sometimes hahaha. 

Ellis was not Lexi's mother.

Count me in on the DeLoser hate. Yeah, he's nice to her children, and their Italian exchanges are kind of sexy, but I don't think he's the man for Meredith. 

I think the Irishman is very, very sexy.

Also cannot stand Maggie. Never could. She may be a brilliant surgeon but is stunningly emotionally immature and always has been.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

But Amelia also showed him who she was when they were out of town for a conference. They ran into her sister and she let her sisters think he was Owen, because she didn't want to explain about her on-again, off-again relationship drama with Owen. She only acknowledged that Linc was not Owen when her mom confronted her in front of her sisters. 

Yes, that same episode where Linc saw firsthand how abusively her family treated her (especially that bag of dicks Kathleen) and how gracefully she coped with their inexcusable shittiness – I don't see that episode as a great indication of her unreliability or cowardice; rather, I see that episode as proof of her growth, to be able to handle such verbal abuse with relative grace.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, politichick said:

Ellis was not Lexi's mother.

I know Lexi's mom was Susan. I took what Maggies said (I could be wrong, to lazy to go watch that part again) that she does not like to share her emotions that that is like Ellis, because it seemed Richard wanted to talk about this feeling, and Maggie did not. What I was trying to say both Mer and Maggie took that trait from Ellis and whatever maiden last name Ellis had. I probably did not explain myself properly in what I was trying to get too hehehe

Edited by catspjs
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

McWidow is pretty solid. I like him, but I'm wary. He should really run from Meredith, at this point.

I like him, too, but then I'm a sucker for an Irish accent. And, okay, so what's the deal with this "gift" thing from Christina? When Mer mentioned her first name he didn't know who she was talking about, then he mentioned her later so it seems he only knows her as Dr. Yang and doesn't seem to like her much. So obviously he doesn't know he's supposed to be a present for Mer. Or he's good at playing oblivious. On what basis did Christina decide that he's perfect (hot with an Irish accent?), how much did they work together, and is she actually somehow involved in the fact that he was hired at GS or what? How long are the going to drag that bit out?

I did laugh at the "pit" exchange. "The what?" "Why do they call it that?" "...I don't know!"

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'd be more on his side if she had waited weeks, instead of just taking a few days to get her own head around it. The "I should have known from the beginning" was a little over the top, given the timeline of her realizing the situation. It's still the beginning.

But telling the one who would be raising the kid he might not be the father, not finding out for sure, and (maybe?) not telling the other possible father at all...did she really think he'd go for that? Or that it wouldn't get out eventually? If she really wanted to keep that secret, she should have kept her mouth shut completely.

4 hours ago, dmc said:

Koracik approves personal days now, I could have sworn that was HR.  

My boss is the one who approves my time off. Payroll keeps track of what I've used. HR has nothing to do with it, really, as far as I can tell.

Though if the setup was really that Koracik has to approve Bailey's time off, wouldn't she have to submit a request ahead of time instead of just announcing she's taking some days? I don't know how hospitals work (or even what Koracik's role truly is these days) but Bailey seems like she's high up enough she should be able to manage her own time, anyway.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I like him, too, but then I'm a sucker for an Irish accent. And, okay, so what's the deal with this "gift" thing from Christina? When Mer mentioned her first name he didn't know who she was talking about, then he mentioned her later so it seems he only knows her as Dr. Yang and doesn't seem to like her much. So obviously he doesn't know he's supposed to be a present for Mer. Or he's good at playing oblivious. On what basis did Christina decide that he's perfect (hot with an Irish accent?), how much did they work together, and is she actually somehow involved in the fact that he was hired at GS or what? How long are the going to drag that bit out?

I did laugh at the "pit" exchange. "The what?" "Why do they call it that?" "...I don't know!"

I'd be more on his side if she had waited weeks, instead of just taking a few days to get her own head around it. The "I should have known from the beginning" was a little over the top, given the timeline of her realizing the situation. It's still the beginning.

But telling the one who would be raising the kid he might not be the father, not finding out for sure, and (maybe?) not telling the other possible father at all...did she really think he'd go for that? Or that it wouldn't get out eventually? If she really wanted to keep that secret, she should have kept her mouth shut completely.

My boss is the one who approves my time off. Payroll keeps track of what I've used. HR has nothing to do with it, really, as far as I can tell.

Though if the setup was really that Koracik has to approve Bailey's time off, wouldn't she have to submit a request ahead of time instead of just announcing she's taking some days? I don't know how hospitals work (or even what Koracik's role truly is these days) but Bailey seems like she's high up enough she should be able to manage her own time, anyway.

My company submits days to HR. Letting your boss know is a courtesy.  In addition, asking an employee why they need a day off is inappropriate for this reason. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

I don't see that episode as a great indication of her unreliability or cowardice; rather, I see that episode as proof of her growth, to be able to handle such verbal abuse with relative grace.

It started off with cowardice; they ran into her sister in a public place, her sister assumed Link was Owen, and so Amelia went with it rather than immediately clarifying that she and Owen were no longer together. I'm not disputing that Amelia's family's behavior was awful later during the dinner scenes. My point was that Amelia could and should have said, "Actually, this is ---. Owen and I are no longer married." But she didn't want to tell the truth up front because it would make her life harder.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, dmc said:

My company submits days to HR. Letting your boss know is a courtesy.  In addition, asking an employee why they need a day off is inappropriate for this reason. 

Yeah, I've never been asked specifics for why I'm taking a day off; just have to specify what kind of day I'm using. My boss can deny it but I've never had that happen (mostly because I know when the busy times are and I can see if others in my group have days scheduled so I know whether or not I should bother before I ask). If they notify HR, I don't know about it. Payroll is part of the Finance department here. I also work for reasonable people who expect us to use up our allotted time.

Edited by ams1001

I’ve had a crappy week, so Meredith speaking Italian to DeLuca has was heartwarming and comforting.  In today’s world, I need more of that sexy flirting in Italian.  When can those two get stuck in an elevator again?

Also, Team Link.  Owen has too many kids already.

The Irish Widow annoys me.  He needs to go back to Christina and hook up with her.  

• Love 9

OK, so obviously Maggie is going to end up solving the mystery case of the woman with the problem nobody can figure out, and then she'll have her mojo back. Right? I mean, I can see it coming a mile away. The entire staff is baffled about this and as soon as Bailey said there was a buildup of fluid around her heart I knew Maggie was going to get involved.

I really don't like the new Peds doctor. I don't see what the hell is so hot about Richard Flood. I think he's pretty wooden as an actor. He played the boyfriend on Shameless a couple seasons back and was virtually the same character there - just this low key, emotionless dude.  

In a vacuum I like the new doctor Cormac.. He's competent and level headed

Give him time. Give him time.

When she said she didn't need a paternity test, it made it seem like if Linc said he was okay with the situation, she wasn't going to tell Owen that it might be his.

Well then maybe he should have asked for clarification on that if that's how he read it, because that's not how I took it. She said she was talking to him first. That implied she would definitely tell Owen but wanted Linc to know first. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well then maybe he should have asked for clarification on that if that's how he read it, because that's not how I took it. She said she was talking to him first. That implied she would definitely tell Owen but wanted Linc to know first. 

This may be true, since we got the scene where Amelia was walking in on Owen/Teddy looking for the engagement ring, and she was mentioning that she was feeling anxious. I think that Amelia was going to tell Owen, but was trying to find a way to. It's not like Amelia told Link and then was A-Ok for the episode. She was anxious throughout the episode. 

I reflected more upon the episode today. I do think that it went better than I initially thought. I still think Link and Amelia had a mature conversation and Amelia has really grown in the last couple of seasons. She's definitely made mistakes, but I think what works with Amelia and Link is that they HAVE been honest and been able to share their feelings, which is important. Link was able to tell Amelia that he wanted the paternity test and Amelia understood.

But...I still stand by my opinion that what rubbed me the wrong way was the whole "When someone shows you who they are, you're supposed to believe them." I really, really wish they had gotten rid of that moment completely, because it implies that Amelia has been shitty to Link personally this entire time. Amelia's lied about Link to her sisters, sure, but she has NOT been a horrible person to Link. If it was someone like Owen who said that to Amelia, someone who Amelia HAS been shitty to (as he has been to her), then the line would make more sense.  But because it's Link, and we've seen Amelia at her worst, this line just really could be taken the wrong way (and it has with me). 

If not for this stupid shitty line, the Amelia/Link plotline would have been much, much better because Link's right about the paternity test. 

• Love 11
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So much this. One of the things I liked about Koracik at first was that he was honest and straightfoward but not an asshole. The show apparently decided that the loss of Teddy was a reason to turn him into a snide, thoughtless dick who occasionally shows a soft side. I want Original Recipe Koracik back.

• Love 17
14 hours ago, asiasrasia said:

This... Link had the right to be disappointed and even furious. It doesn't change the fact that Amelia never treated him badly. With him she was always the best version of herself. I don't understand this metaphor about showing who they are.

I thought that was where they were going with Jo's comment about being mad and loving someone.  Linc was mad at Amelia for the situation, and he has a right to be. But I hope when he anger dies down he and Amelia can still work things out.

I also hope he is really the father, but I'm not sure why they would introduce this plotline if they weren't going to have Owen and his super-sperm be the father.

4 hours ago, dmc said:

My boss has to approve my days off, but I agree it is inappropriate for anyone to ask why. However, that doesn't mean a boss won't ask if they see someone asking during a super busy time. Koracik should have read Bailey's reaction when he asked and figured out it was a personal thing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OK, so obviously Maggie is going to end up solving the mystery case of the woman with the problem nobody can figure out, and then she'll have her mojo back. Right? I mean, I can see it coming a mile away. The entire staff is baffled about this and as soon as Bailey said there was a buildup of fluid around her heart I knew Maggie was going to get involved.

I really don't like the new Peds doctor. I don't see what the hell is so hot about Richard Flood. I think he's pretty wooden as an actor. He played the boyfriend on Shameless a couple seasons back and was virtually the same character there - just this low key, emotionless dude.  

Give him time. Give him time.

Word to ALL of this, and I also immediately thought Maggie would solve the red-headed mother's heart (or whatever) issue and get her groove back, just like Derek got his groove back by saving Izzie from Ghost!Denny cancer.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This may be true, since we got the scene where Amelia was walking in on Owen/Teddy looking for the engagement ring, and she was mentioning that she was feeling anxious. I think that Amelia was going to tell Owen, but was trying to find a way to. It's not like Amelia told Link and then was A-Ok for the episode. She was anxious throughout the episode. 

I reflected more upon the episode today. I do think that it went better than I initially thought. I still think Link and Amelia had a mature conversation and Amelia has really grown in the last couple of seasons. She's definitely made mistakes, but I think what works with Amelia and Link is that they HAVE been honest and been able to share their feelings, which is important. Link was able to tell Amelia that he wanted the paternity test and Amelia understood.

But...I still stand by my opinion that what rubbed me the wrong way was the whole "When someone shows you who they are, you're supposed to believe them." I really, really wish they had gotten rid of that moment completely, because it implies that Amelia has been shitty to Link personally this entire time. Amelia's lied about Link to her sisters, sure, but she has NOT been a horrible person to Link. If it was someone like Owen who said that to Amelia, someone who Amelia HAS been shitty to (as he has been to her), then the line would make more sense.  But because it's Link, and we've seen Amelia at her worst, this line just really could be taken the wrong way (and it has with me). 

If not for this stupid shitty line, the Amelia/Link plotline would have been much, much better because Link's right about the paternity test. 

Yeah, word to all of this, too.  I am prepared for the show to fuck up Amelia and Linc completely, but I still have hope they will keep them together because it's obvious to a deaf and blind person how terrific they are together.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Amelia showed him that she was a vulnerable, traumatized person who was bullied by her family and felt that she couldn't tell them the truth because all she would get is attacked by them again and called a failure. Even her mother, who softened towards her at the end, had no idea of what Amelia had gone through and how it had contributed to her addiction.

None of them except her mother knew what Owen looked like because not only had none of them had cared enough to show up for her wedding, they hadn't even exchanged cards and pictures since then.

Amelia also showed Linc that she would stand up for him when his parents were attacking him, and supported him when he needed it.

The whole idea of Amelia showing Linc "who she really is" because she delayed a few days to process what she had found out was a big logic fail.

14 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

As for Link... I dunno what ppl are expecting from him... If Owen  is the dad their whole future changes from what he was probably imagining.. And I don't think he was angry about it possibly being Owen's ( cuz they weren't together like that)  I think he was miffed that Amelia was like it doesn't matter... When that's just delusional 

It didn't matter to Amelia so much. She knew that she loved Linc and wanted to raise the baby with him. If the baby is Owen's, he will have to be involved but Amelia sees her life as being with Linc, not Owen. Only Linc can change that.

Linc's reaction/rejection is going to hurt, possibly a great deal. It's something I would expect from Owen, learning that he isn't going to reproduce his genes again, but not the good guy Linc has been shown to be...  I hope that Maggie and Meredith are there for her because Amelia is a recovering addict and vulnerable.

Hopefully Linc will take some days to process this, the time he thought Amelia should not have taken, and get his head on straight.

In the hospital where I worked, HR covers salaried employees but not medical staff. They were under their own administration. But a person at Bailey's level shouldn't need permission to take personal days off as long as her duties are covered.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Amelia showed him that she was a vulnerable, traumatized person who was bullied by her family and felt that she couldn't tell them the truth

The whole idea of Amelia showing Linc "who she really is" because she delayed a few days to process what she had found out was a big logic fail.

It didn't matter to Amelia so much. She knew that she loved Linc and wanted to raise the baby with him. If the baby is Owen's, he will have to be involved but Amelia sees her life as being with Linc, not Owen. Only Linc can change that.

Linc's reaction/rejection is going to hurt, possibly a great deal. It's something I would expect from Owen, learning that he isn't going to reproduce his genes again, but not the good guy Linc has been shown to be... 

I'm not disputing that Amelia's family is awful, but she immediately lied to her sister about him. I interpreted "who she really is" as him acknowledging to himself that Amelia has a difficult time with honesty in situations, not just in dealing with her family. The truth is, Amelia has a history of poor judgement, for example getting back with Owen and then having a *fling* with Linc right after her relationship with Owen was over again. I believe Amelia and Linc have become very infatuated with each other over X months, but they certainly haven't been a couple for long enough to be declaring that they're truly in love and committed to one another. Case in point, when Amelia and Linc told Meredith and DeLuca that she's pregnant and Meredith said, I didn't know you were that serious. Amelia said, Neither did we.   

I wouldn't believe it if a guy declared about his pregnant girlfriend that he doesn't care who the father of her baby is. Of course it matters.  Yes, there are plenty of men in the world raising children who are not biologically theirs, by choice not ignorance or deception. An uncle of mine married my aunt when she was a young mother of two sons (the father/husband abandoned the family and then died). He came into their lives when the younger son was 3. He had a son of his own and chose to become their father as well. He even legally adopted the younger son (the elder wanted to keep his given last name).

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Yeah, word to all of this, too.  I am prepared for the show to fuck up Amelia and Linc completely, but I still have hope they will keep them together because it's obvious to a deaf and blind person how terrific they are together.

I seriously can't remember the last time they had a couple this terrific together.  Maybe Callie and Arizona early on.  

• Love 6

I understand Linc’s feelings and agree with him.  That said, Amelia has come a very long way in the last couple of seasons.  I like her.

Dr. McWidower is growing on me but not necessarily as a love interest for Mer.

Enjoy having Christina’s energy back in the show.

I like DeLuca.  ...and I like him with Meredith, too.

Maggie still bugs the heck out if me.

Owen and Teddy are FF material each and every week.  I hope he’s not he father if Amelia’s baby.

Although a timely and important conversation, I’ve seen the exact vaping storyline on 3 recent medical shows within the last 10 days.  (I watch too many medical shows.)

Catherine?  Pffffft...

• Love 1