Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: A Hard Pill to Swallow

• Start Topic

Granted, I haven't watched all seasons so I don't know what Amelia's been through although I remember something about drugs, losing a partner and/or a baby, etc.  So I get that she's had it rough. 

However, and maybe this is just the actress's delivery, her crazy eyes and the halting way she speaks like she's in seventh grade and trying to tell a boy that she likes him, just annoys the hell out of me.  Teddy and Maggie are the same way.  Sometimes they all just blurt shit out and you'd never know they were doctors.

• Love 4

Some random thoughts:

I like DeLuca and believe he deserves someone better than the sun-moon-stars-universe Meredith Grey. 

If Teddy and Owen decided to take the kids and move back to Germany, I'd help them pack.  

Any episode with Maggie getting a minimal amount of screen time is a plus.

I still don't care much about any of the interns.

• Love 9
On 1/31/2020 at 2:43 PM, NUguy514 said:

Yes, that same episode where Linc saw firsthand how abusively her family treated her (especially that bag of dicks Kathleen) and how gracefully she coped with their inexcusable shittiness – I don't see that episode as a great indication of her unreliability or cowardice; rather, I see that episode as proof of her growth, to be able to handle such verbal abuse with relative grace.

I agree. Link’s reaction is such a stupid writing choice to me. The writers spent the last 2 seasons transforming Amelia’s character from the chaotic addict to a mature and emotionally honest one. And now, in the healthiest relationship she’s been in (including Private Practice), he dumps her for reasons that would perfectly describe pre-tumour Amelia. 

Yes, she shouldn’t have gotten into a relationship so soon, but she also acknowledged that. Which is more self-awareness and growth than any other character has shown. Big writing fail. 

Whatever epiphany Link got from his patient was applicable to Amelia from a few seasons ago, not the current character. 

• Love 7

I still don't understand how Amelia could be 4 weeks off on her pregnancy. I'm irregular but I know if my period hasn't shown up for awhile and I'm not a doctor.

This storyline would be more believable if she didn't know who the father was when she realized she was pregnant. 

Maggie can leave and I don't care. 

• Love 2

I think Linc is wrestling with his own emotional devastation.    He went from never thinking he’d ever be a father to cautiously accepting it to actively embracing it.   He is almost in mourning in a way.   So he lashed out because of his own fear and sense of loss.    

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Court said:

I still don't understand how Amelia could be 4 weeks off on her pregnancy. I'm irregular but I know if my period hasn't shown up for awhile and I'm not a doctor.

This storyline would be more believable if she didn't know who the father was when she realized she was pregnant. 

Maggie can leave and I don't care. 

I can understand how she could be 4 weeks off.  She was so irregular she was skipping periods entirely. That is how she didn't know she was pregnant until DeLuca's sister said something. And if she was a few months along when she found out, she may just not remember her last period. But what I can't understand is how, knowing how irregular she was, she didn't consider the possibility of Owen being the father from the beginning. Like you said, that would have been more realistic. It's almost like the writers changed their minds about the plot halfway through the season....

• Love 7

How much of a gap was there between when she and Owen broke up until she went to that conference and slept with Linc? I mean, I know time exists in a weird vacuum on this show, but still. It seems like if there was less than a month between those two events, she would have at least considered the possibility that Owen could be the father when she initially found out that she was pregnant.

I'm just saying that it would be one thing if there had been a six month gap between those two events and there was no way that Owen could be the father, then sure assume that Linc is definitely the father.

• Love 4

Thank goodness for the internet which helped me piece together this timeline:

S15.E12 (Girlfriend in a Coma) takes place December 24 - February 14.

S15.15 (We Didn't Start the Fire) -  Amelia breaks up with Owen at Catherine's party. Teddy is seven months pregnant. This episode takes place two weeks after S15.E14 (I Want a New Drug) so approximately beginning of March.

S15.E17  (And Dream of Sheep) - Amelia and Linc first sleep together at the alternative medical conference. According to this Grey's Anatomy timeline (which is where I got all of this information), the medical conference takes place five days after Catherine's party.

S15.E18 (Add It Up) takes place on March 27.

S15.E19 (Silent All These Years) takes place March 27-28.

S15.E23 (What I Did for Love) takes place on May 3.

S16.E1 (Nothing Left to Cling To) -  Amelia finds out she's pregnant. This episode picks up right where the S15 finale left off (no time jump between seasons) and takes place over five weeks.

S16.E2 (Back in the Saddle) - Amelia tells Linc she's pregnant.

S16.E6 (Whistlin' Past the Graveyard) takes place on October 31.

S16.E8 (My Shot) takes place three months after S16.E2 (Back in the Saddle)

S16.E9 (Let's All Go to the Bar) takes place the Monday after Meredith's trial in the previous episode. This is when Amelia finds out that she's 24 weeks pregnant, not 20 weeks pregnant.

So if I understand this correctly, Owen and Amelia broke up in March. As far as I can remember, they didn't have sex again after they broke up. Amelia and Linc first slept together five days after she and Owen broke up. 

It's not entirely clear what the date is when Amelia finds out she's 24 weeks pregnant, but it's definitely after October 31. Let's just say for the sake of the argument that she finds out on November 1. Counting back 24 weeks takes us to May 17. That's some time around S15.E24. By that time, Zola was already referring to Linc as Auntie Amelia's boyfriend. Around the same time, Teddy had the baby and Owen was declaring his love for her. So that's when Amelia and Owen supposedly had sex one more time?

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's not entirely clear what the date is when Amelia finds out she's 24 weeks pregnant, but it's definitely after October 31. Let's just say for the sake of the argument that she finds out on November 1. Counting back 24 weeks takes us to May 17. That's some time around S15.E24. By that time, Zola was already referring to Linc as Auntie Amelia's boyfriend. Around the same time, Teddy had the baby and Owen was declaring his love for her. So that's when Amelia and Owen supposedly had sex one more time?

Apparently, but this is also the show that had Teddy pregnant from March/April 2018-May 2019, and then also jumped right into Halloween six episodes later.

Krista doesn't care about how the timeline works, especially since I feel like we had verbal confirmation from Amelia during one of the breakup with Owen episodes that had her say that they weren't sleeping together. Or maybe this is the Mandela Effect, where I'm only imagining this scene happening when it really didn't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I have one more thought...the scene where Linc is like I feel betrayed and Amelia was like I tend to do this and hurt people...while she’s clearly being honest...I would be alarmed if I were Linc.  It’s the way she said it like this is who I am and I have no plans to change.  It’s not I’ll try to change I realize this is an issue but I’m still working on it.  

OBVIOUSLY, the teen was a vape case & the kid swallowed the ring. WHY are they acting so dumb about the missing ring? WHERE is it? Take apart this p-trap. Ohh no! The kid's sick now, it must be a cold.... Totally NOT related to the missing ring.. Yeahhhh. RIGHTTTT. 😒😒

Edited by Lindz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2020 at 10:02 PM, ams1001 said:

Did they do an x-ray just because Leo threw up? Or did I miss something explaining why he needed it?

They did it because they are doctors and had access (in a fictional world where there is no accountability for using the machines).  I know when my child was young, heck even now, I would LOVE to have been able to get diagnostic tests done...for my own comfort!  LOL.  

On 1/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, Jeopardy15 said:
On 1/30/2020 at 10:02 PM, ams1001 said:

Asshole-for-no-real-reason-then-shows-his-soft-side-for-five-minutes Koracik is getting old.

Exactly. Why is he still around? 

I ADORE Koracik and hope they keep him around a long time.  

• Love 1
On 1/31/2020 at 4:11 AM, NUguy514 said:

I hate McWidower because he exists solely to be yet one more person to fall in love with Our Lady of the Sun. 

My husband can't believe he would come from SWITZERLAND to Seattle.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/31/2020 at 6:29 AM, asiasrasia said:

Linkk had the right to be disappointed and even furious.

disappointed yes, but furious?  It was an honest mistake (and may still be his) but that's what can happen when you just go to bed with whoever suits your fancy.   Nobody in this show seems to have any problems with this.  

On 1/31/2020 at 8:39 AM, Lady Calypso said:

They really need to stop making Tom so hostile and then turn it around. I love Tom, I do, but it's getting tiring this season. That being said, still liked his conversation with Bailey at the end. When they write him right, he's really a loveable guy.

This.  IMO Koracik is the most interesting character on this show.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Thank goodness for the internet which helped me piece together this timeline:

S15.E12 (Girlfriend in a Coma) takes place December 24 - February 14.

S15.15 (We Didn't Start the Fire) -  Amelia breaks up with Owen at Catherine's party. Teddy is seven months pregnant. This episode takes place two weeks after S15.E14 (I Want a New Drug) so approximately beginning of March.

S15.E17  (And Dream of Sheep) - Amelia and Linc first sleep together at the alternative medical conference. According to this Grey's Anatomy timeline (which is where I got all of this information), the medical conference takes place five days after Catherine's party.

S15.E18 (Add It Up) takes place on March 27.

S15.E19 (Silent All These Years) takes place March 27-28.

S15.E23 (What I Did for Love) takes place on May 3.

S16.E1 (Nothing Left to Cling To) -  Amelia finds out she's pregnant. This episode picks up right where the S15 finale left off (no time jump between seasons) and takes place over five weeks.

S16.E2 (Back in the Saddle) - Amelia tells Linc she's pregnant.

S16.E6 (Whistlin' Past the Graveyard) takes place on October 31.

S16.E8 (My Shot) takes place three months after S16.E2 (Back in the Saddle)

S16.E9 (Let's All Go to the Bar) takes place the Monday after Meredith's trial in the previous episode. This is when Amelia finds out that she's 24 weeks pregnant, not 20 weeks pregnant.

So if I understand this correctly, Owen and Amelia broke up in March. As far as I can remember, they didn't have sex again after they broke up. Amelia and Linc first slept together five days after she and Owen broke up. 

So we've clearly put more thought into this than Grey's. I agree Amelia didn't sleep with Owen after Linc, as far as I recall. So how is this even a question? 

If it was two weeks, I would shrug ok because even ultrasounds and "measuring" can vary. I always measured behind.

So this is why people have ultrasounds between 8-10 weeks especially when you're skipping entire periods. How did Carina even come up with her due date?

• Useful 1
On 1/31/2020 at 2:38 PM, politichick said:

Count me in on the DeLoser hate. Yeah, he's nice to her children, and their Italian exchanges are kind of sexy, but I don't think he's the man for Meredith. 

I think the Irishman is very, very sexy.

Deluca is not right for Meredith but I like him for himself.  And yes, the Irishman is HOT. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

This.  IMO Koracik is the most interesting character on this show.  

He WAS until they stuck him with Teddy, and then made him unbelievably besotted with her.  And now after she went back to her baby-daddy, Koracik is, equally unbelievably, heart broken and devastated and jealous. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2020 at 10:43 PM, pieinmyeye said:

DeLoser, hahahahaha! I miss Alex also. Are they ever going to offer an explanation as to why he’s still “at his mother’s” or just going to pretend he never existed?

I got the sinking feeling watching this episode that Alex will never be spoken of again. I hope that I am wrong. I have an unnatural need to know what went on BTS with JC. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Granny58 said:

They did it because they are doctors and had access (in a fictional world where there is no accountability for using the machines).  I know when my child was young, heck even now, I would LOVE to have been able to get diagnostic tests done...for my own comfort!  LOL.  

then you must be not so clever,  becouse such examination is harmful to health and cannot be performed without indication. And no ... One-time vomiting in a  child is not an indication.

3 hours ago, asiasrasia said:

then you must be not so clever,  becouse such examination is harmful to health and cannot be performed without indication. And no ... One-time vomiting in a  child is not an indication.

Oh, I'm clever enough.  Seems like you are not so cheerful.   It is evident that I was saying how nerve wracking it is to be a new parent and how one worries about every little thing.  Lighten up.  It's fiction.  

• Love 4
On 1/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, marceline said:

So much this. One of the things I liked about Koracik at first was that he was honest and straightfoward but not an asshole. The show apparently decided that the loss of Teddy was a reason to turn him into a snide, thoughtless dick who occasionally shows a soft side. I want Original Recipe Koracik back.

thirding this. I really liked Koracik last year. this year they are messing up his character. You can't have someone be a jerk all the time but every time someone mentions losing a kid, he turns into nice guy. 

• Love 7

As someone who generally adores Irish accents, I find McWidow absolutely repellent. The actor is one of those charisma-voids who has me looking anywhere on screen he isn't because he's so unappealing in both appearance and personality. I feel similarly towards Pompeo so I'm kind of hoping they do shove them together so I can just fast forward through their dreck.

Count me as one who hates the textversations with the ghost of Christina and who found the shoelace untie simply mean and another reason to hate Meredith. The longer Mer and DeLucca were together, the more and more I liked him, but that may just be because in comparison to her everyone seems likable. McWidow will surely test this theory.

I agree with whomever it was upthread who said they couldn't care less about the current interns. Not a one of them is compelling. I don't care at all what happens to any of them. Every time they're on screen I'm just reminded of what a huge mistake it was to get rid of Arizona and April.

I like the Richard and Maggie stuff. Maggie is grating, but it's nice to see her grappling with her innate fallibility, as a human, and I love how Richard has stepped up as her father. 

Catherine has always felt like she wandered in from some other show and I won't mind when she wanders off again. In a perfect world, she'd take Owen with her when she goes.

I don't blame Linc for being upset to learn that the baby might not be his. I mean, c'mon! He's had to rethink his whole idea of himself, as a result of this pregnancy, and, in his own words, he'd fallen in love with the baby, despite having previously committed to an elaborate litany of reasons he never wanted to be father. His whole world was turned upside down. And, now, Amelia has completely pulled the rug out from under him. For the record, Amelia is probably my favorite character on the show, at this point. It's impossible for me to reconcile the ridiculous writing of a surgeon who has previously given birth and who is sexually active being unaware that she's pregnant again until she's nearly halfway through her pregnancy. I don't buy it in any universe, which leaves the options of either deciding she's a denialist to the degree of having a severe mental illness or assuming the same level of denialism and wholesale refusing to acknowledge this as part of the plot. The writing with this is just awful, unbelievable and incoherent.

Someone elsewhere noted that a miscarriage at 20 weeks is a pretty serious deal, which involves having to deliver the fetus. I can understand why some might oppose showing this onscreen (including, possibly, the network), but I think it could have been educational for many viewers, affirming and even cathartic for others, a great showcase for Chandra's talent and a really powerful episode, had they chosen to take this experience seriously for Bailey. To reduce it to Tom mansplaining her own trauma to her really missed the mark.

Edited by Elbow
  • Love 6

Finally watched the ep.

I have never been a big fan of Derek's sister whatshername -- Amelia! (there it is.) Anyway -- she is off putting and crazy and has never really been likable IMO so I understand Linc saying -- "believe it when someone shows you who they are"-- Amelia has shown him from day one that she is unstable at best and a psycho at the worst. If that kid ain't his-- run!

That dude that's playing the new doc -- McWidower --I feel like I've seen him before... wasn't he the boyfriend of Fiona on Shameless? I didn't like that character but I am willing to see how this plays out. I suppose he will eventually hear stories of the Twisted Sisters. That ought to be funny.

Ummm... Maggie and Richard? I like Richard but Maggie's whinefest hurts my head so I FF'd through a lot of their shit.  Oh and yeah as someone else said -- the red-haired chick with the heart issue will be the patient that gets Maggie's grove back.

See I never hated Deluca and Mere and their scenes together were cute but also highlighted their age difference. But I didn't hate it. That used to be Derek and Meredith once upon a time. and I hate the double standard that an older guy can date a younger woman and no one bats an eyelash but let an older woman dare to date a younger man and the internet explodes! (Just kidding but you get my drift)

Don't care one iota about Owen and Teddy.

I had read here that Koracik acted like a dick to Bailey but when I watched my perception was that initially he was acting like her boss - like why did you take days off without clearing it with him. But when she actually used her words and explained -- Koracik behaved as a person -- not a boss -- and sympathized with her loss. I rather liked the whole exchange.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, taanja said:

I had read here that Koracik acted like a dick to Bailey but when I watched my perception was that initially he was acting like her boss - like why did you take days off without clearing it with him. But when she actually used her words and explained -- Koracik behaved as a person -- not a boss -- and sympathized with her loss. I rather liked the whole exchange.

Well...he was acting like a dick because he kept pestering her about how she used up her personal days, without knowing why. As her boss, he doesn't need to know exactly why she was taking days off. So him making snide comments about her lounging around on a beach, or whatever he was saying, was inappropriate. What Bailey does on her time off doesn't affect Tom. She also wasn't obliged to give him the reason for her taking some personal days. All he needed to know was that she would not be in for the week, or however long she had taken off. 

That's why he was a dick. 

• Love 12

Not sure I'm adding anything that hasn't already been said but here goes:

Yes, all interns can just go away. I never learned their names, their nicknames, or cared about any of them. I was rooting for the blond intern to die after the crash into the bar... 

Maggie and her perpetual resting "I smell something stanky" face can just go away too. I am tired of her pity party, her immaturity, etc. 

Please add Catherine to the list of those who can just walk out the door and not return. She's such a snooty-voiced bitch. 

Carina takes one look at Amelia and declares that she's pregnant. WTF, does she have a crystal ball? Apparently there are some tell tale signs, but how can anyone see anything under scrubs and a lab coat? Maybe Amelia just gained some weight? Nope. At least Carina's scenes were super short. 

Loved the conversation between Koracik and Bailey at the end. That is all, end rant. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, taanja said:

See I never hated Deluca and Mere and their scenes together were cute but also highlighted their age difference. But I didn't hate it. That used to be Derek and Meredith once upon a time. and I hate the double standard that an older guy can date a younger woman and no one bats an eyelash but let an older woman dare to date a younger man and the internet explodes! (Just kidding but you get my drift)

I don't think its the age difference that people don't approve off. It's more about the very different stages of life they are in, and life experiences they have. He usually just seems immature next to her with his actions and what he says and does. 

Also I have to add this, though who know if its true as they have changed the timeline too many times. Meredith and Derek did not have a very huge age difference, people seem to forget this. In the pilot, in the script it was said Mer was 32, she took tome from college to med school. And Addison mentioned on season 3 or so I think, she was 38/39 and Addi and Der went to med school together. So they would be the same age. So a 6 year age difference in not that big of a deal when people are in their 30's. And MerDer were single(or not widowed I guess, that is a very different kind or baggage then divorced) had no children and all that. If Mer was with Deluca after she had been divorced, had no kids I don't think people would be complaing as much. It not about the age difference, it's the glaring maturity, emotional level they are at. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, taanja said:

I understand what you're saying, although I don't think anyone here was talking about their age differences.  The thing is, though, when you have a young man and an older woman - unless it is purely a casual fling - then you eventually have the issue of children come up.  If DeLuca wants children of his own some day, he won't have them with Meredith, so that relationship is doomed anyway.  If he doesn't care about that, fine.  But they haven't ever talked about it, so it's an open issue.

• Love 2

Deluca is chief resident so he has to be in his early thirties by now. There is a lot of living that can be done by then. Even if Meredith is in her late forties, he still fits the "half the age plus 7" rule.

I agree that Deluca looks much younger than Meredith, and professionally she's his superior, as Derek was Meredith's. But when it comes to emotional maturity, he's got Meredith beat.  He's the one who is more concerned for her children when things happen, and he's the one who realizes that Meredith is all over the place about him and steps back, telling her to take the time to decide what she really wants.

Meredith isn't even mature enough to tell McWidower that Cristina is her best friend when he cuts her up.

I'm not a fan of the Mer/Deluca pairing right now but because she treats him badly, not because he's too young for her. He deserves better than OLofS.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

But when it comes to emotional maturity, he's got Meredith beat.  He's the one who is more concerned for her children when things

Does he though? I don't recall Meredith as a resident or intern throwing a hissy fit when she couldn't figure out what was wrong with her patient like Deloser did at the end of this episode. He was just short of stomping his foot, and the way Meredith calmed him down came off as very mother-son and not at all like they are lovers. 

I can't ever get behind the pairing. Life experience, temperament, emotional maturity, the fact that he dated her sister... it's all a big miss, and I feel that the leading lady aka "The Sun" aka Saint Meredith at least deserves a love story that isn't reduced to retcons. And for what it's worth, Deloser deserves someone better, too. Sam Bello was on his level - he should've just went with her to Zurich to work at Cristina's hospital. Even Maggie was a great match for him because their emotional maturity is about the same. He was Maggie's best love interest. lol

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Does he though? I don't recall Meredith as a resident or intern throwing a hissy fit when she couldn't figure out what was wrong with her patient like Deloser did at the end of this episode. He was just short of stomping his foot, and the way Meredith calmed him down came off as very mother-son and not at all like they are lovers. 

Well, he hasn't gone around committing/covering up crimes as an intern or resident or begging a married person to choose him or untying his sister-in-law's shoe in a fit of pique when he is in his late 40's, so, yeah, I'd say he does have OLotS beat on the emotional maturity front.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Koracik was more than willing to raise another man's child when he and Teddy were together. If Linc isn't of the same mindset, I can't blame him. Everyone is different. I think Linc needs to wrap his head around the larger picture, namely, do he and Amelia truly have a solid, committed, loving relationship separate and apart from any baby? I don't think they know each other well enough to even answer that question.  Even though Amelia professed her love to Linc,  he may not be there yet. I do hope the child is his, though. But this being a soap opera, it will be far more upsetting if it's not. Happy couples are a big no-no for soap operas.

I'm one of the very, VERY few people who like Catherine. Sure, she's done and said some awful things, but...I don't know, there's something about her that I like. Maybe I just like seeing an older actress who's still vital. That said, her and Richard's marriage is circling the drain. I feel like they still haven't sat down and hashed things out, though. Given her travel schedule, they're barely in the same city for more than a few moments. I don't think Richard has any interest in carrying on with Jasmine Guy's character, tempting though she may be. 

I was a bit surprised to hear Richard tell Maggie to just let her insurance cover a payment/payoff to her uncle and let it all be swept under the rug. I mean, I get what he was trying to do - get Maggie to move forward - but yikes! He was so cavalier about it! Guess he is OK with putting a dollar figure on his nieces' life. Not that any amount of money is going to change anything, and I'm not saying Maggie should be bankrupted by a lawsuit...but it sort of irked me that Richard was so quick to hand wave the lawsuit away by having the insurance company write a big settlement check. I guess a medical malpractice lawsuit isn't gonna happen, and yes, I do agree with those who've suggested that Maggie will solve the redheaded mom's mystery situation. 

I like the Irish doctor, but I'm not sure I want him to be Meredith's next love interest. I guess there's no other role for him in the show if that doesn't happen, though - it's like the old saying about theatre - if a gun is introduced in Act I, it will show up again later in the play. Same here - Irish doctor isn't just going to fade into the background. He's there for an obvious reason, as we know - a "gift" from Cristina - so it's just a matter of time before he and Meredith connect in some way. Ho hum.

Alex's absence is becoming more and more conspicuous and weird, seeing as we viewers all know he won't be seen again. 

Speaking of absence - how great was it that none of the interns were in this episode??? One quick mention of their various statuses, and boom, that was it! 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Speaking of absence - how great was it that none of the interns were in this episode??? One quick mention of their various statuses, and boom, that was it! 

It was such a great surprise, like finding a $20 bill that you had forgoten about in a coat pocket!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Alex's absence is becoming more and more conspicuous and weird, seeing as we viewers all know he won't be seen again. 

I had zero knowledge about Justin leaving the show until after last week's episode and everyone here was talking about it.  Had I not come here, I still would have no idea he isn't coming back.  He was hardly on the show as it was.  Jo wasn't in this episode either, was she?   Just saying, it's probably not conspicuous yet to most viewers who don't know Justin is gone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Jo wasn't in this episode either, was she?  

Yes, she was. She had quite a few scenes with Linc, including telling him that you can love someone and be angry with them at the same time.