Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Mutations

Trini
  • Start Topic

Dr. Audrey Lim, Dr. Shaun Murphy and Dr. Morgan Reznick treat a 25-year-old runner suffering from severe swelling; but when things take a turn for the worse, Dr. Shaun Murphy enlists the help of Dr. Carly Lever. Meanwhile, Dr. Alex Park, Dr. Claire Browne and Dr. Neil Melendez treat two 16-year-old cancer patients who are dating; and Dr. Shaun Murphy and Dr. Carly Lever work toward intimacy.

Written by Liz Friedman and Tracy Taylor, and directed by Nestor Carbonell

Airdate: Jan. 20, 2020

154007_2197_595.jpg

Yay, a happy outcome for Shaun and Carly :D! I liked the way he tried to reassure her when she was all upset about their patient, and I'm so glad that case ended well. I know Carly acknowledged that her issue had to do with the stuff with Lea, but I also sense that it was hard for her to really get into the mood with Shaun in part because of everything that was happening with this patient, and her struggle to adjust to working on somebody directly like this. I mean, they got a call during their attempted night together about the patient-that's a mood killer right there if ever there was one. 

But it's so nice to see them finally sorting stuff out at long last and taking that big step forward. I do wonder how Shaun and Lea will adjust to not living together anymore, though, and what that means for their friendship going forward. 

As for the other case with Angie, I had a feeling it wasn't going to end well, especially after the happy news regarding the boyfriend's cancer, but damn if I didn't get all choked up at that ending anyway. I liked the mom and Angie's boyfriend consoling each other at the end, and I'm glad Angie and her boyfriend got one nice happy evening together. 

And of course Melendez was prom king. Of course :p. I liked his response when Claire talked about spending her prom night in the drunk tank, too: "Did you see Park there?" LOL. Also, Claire looked absolutely gorgeous in her prom outfit. 

I like the idea of her and Melendez working out some of these issues through running together, too. I like how he's helping her through all of this. And I'm also really, really glad that we got a moment between Shaun and Claire, too, with them talking about their respective losses. It was brief, but it was nice. I hope we get more moments like that between them going forward. I'm just glad to see Claire actually talking to people about her problems, instead of holding it all in. She needs a.few hugs. 

I'm also liking the stuff with Glassman trying to help Morgan. Their scenes together have been interesting so far. 

Good episode. Nice mix of bittersweet and happy. 

• Love 24
32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm also liking the stuff with Glassman trying to help Morgan. Their scenes together have been interesting so far. 

Right before the scene where she agreed to change her meds there was an ad for Xeljanz XR -- for RA when Methotrexate didn't work well or wasn't tolerated!

• LOL 15
  • Love 3

"It was a beautiful, perfect idea.  From a beautiful, almost perfect woman.  (Pause)  Your earlobes are lopsided."  Oh, Shaun, you sweet-talker, you!

Interesting seeing Carly have to actually be outside of her lab and interact with the patients and other doctors.  While I do think the relationship between her and Shaun is important for both of their growths, it's nice when they let her interact more with the rest of the gang (one of my favorite smaller moments from last season, was when she and Park were kind of bantering over what is better between surgeons and forensic folks.)  I'm glad this case worked out, but I do wonder what will happen if/when she is on a case, and the ending is less than ideal.

Speaking of which, another rough case for Claire, although I'm glad she and Melendez at least were able to create for Angie and Ryan, so they got to have a final happy moment together (only thing to have really made it accurate would have been to force Park to play the role of the grumpy, chaperone, rolling his eyes and secretly taking sips from a flask!)  Kept thinking the actress playing Angie looked familiar, and I it ended up being that she was on an episode of Agents of Shield as a younger version of one of the characters (Hale.)  Continue to like the bond between her and Melendez, but I still have some fear that the show might try and take it to a romantic level.

Glad that they didn't drag out Reznick trying to power through the nausea, and is already asking Glassman to try something else.  But how much longer can she keep this hidden?  Especially since she is now going to be working alongside Andrews, now?  

Curious to see what; if any; they have in store for Lea going forward.

As for that final scene, well, I have a feeling that Shaun's mindset is probably something along the lines of this:

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Claire/Melendez!! It's happening! ::flails::  It's happening!! I had the most silliest grin when they danced at "prom".

And this was an actual good episode for Shaun & Carly (and Carly in particular got some fleshing out). Glad they are making progress!

And yay! a Shaun/Claire scene! I'll take these crumbs.

Speaking of Claire, they still can't let her get a win. 😕  Was not expecting her patient to die, suddenly and offscreen. But otherwise I did like her subplot, and was glad she was back to her compassionate self. Prom was cute.

Still wish that they would give Park a story.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 10

A good episode for Shaun and Carly! Yay!

When Melendez was like "I know what will help" and we saw a door opening I was like "NO NO NO NO NO DON'T HAVE THEM GET TOGETHER NOO"

Then it wasn't them and yaaay

Also, re: Reznick and MTX - When Reznick & Glassman were first talking about how she was responding to MTX, I was like "no wayyyy she is having no side effects!" Then when she was vomiting, I was like "that's more like it, that's how I felt on MTX!" - I took MTX for oral chemo 1x weekly for 2 years. MTX sucked. Eventually I got a new doctor who agreed to discontinue it due to the side effects.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

So was it just getting over the insecurity and realizing that Carly wanted to impress him as much as he wanted to impress her, that made the difference in enabling Shaun to really be ready? Or was it that he really liked working together, since work is his main zone of comfort?

I was glad mom didn't flip out and ruin prom. They did violate her direct instructions to refuse visitors. Why didn't she want them to visit, anyway? Not even by Skype! It clearly wasn't about germs.

I was interested that Carly and Shaun disagreed about which drug to try, and Carly seemed to have a very good reason. Usually Shaun doesn't make a sloppy mistake like that. But he deferred to her quite easily, and it worked out okay.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the medical episodes this week!  Zebra fish....cool!  And finally seeing Shaun’s superior intellect (and Carly’s) saving lives again.  The girl with cancer was heartbreaking.  But the prom ... classic Claire back!   It was wonderful.  Also really glad to see the start of Shaun and Claire talking again. More please.  

im glad Shaun and Carly finally had success.  Glad to see Shaun’s smile at the end.  Still think this relationship is not that great tv though. We’ll see what happens.  

• Love 6

I am surprised with how Claire, Park, and Melendez's case got to me. I didn't expect the poor girl to die just right there at the end of the episode. But it was very sweet and very sad. 

Shaun, Morgan, and Carly's case was done well. Yay for more Carly! Like Lea, it seemed like she was only there for Shaun. But the show keeps forgetting that Carly's a doctor, so she could interact more with the other characters. And then she did, with Lim! And Morgan! That helped me a lot with Carly this week. And her and Shaun took a HUGE step forward, which is all that I wanted. Plus, they didn't really fight this week. It was Shaun confused about Carly's feelings, Carly also confused about her feelings, but also dealing with her first patient. 

Again, I don't expect their relationship to last, but they have to give me more wins, such as this episode.

Morgan and Glassman's stuff this week was great. I'm glad to see Morgan try to deal with her diagnosis. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was glad mom didn't flip out and ruin prom. They did violate her direct instructions to refuse visitors. Why didn't she want them to visit, anyway? Not even by Skype! It clearly wasn't about germs.

She was obviously trying to break them up. With all the hurt facial expressions she kept making, I’d assumed it was all about herself and she was probably a control freak. So I was surprised she didn’t flip out. When she saw how happy Angie was she backed down. So I’m guessing she thought Ryan, being a kid, would probably flake out at some point during Angie’s very difficult recovery and make it even more difficult, so it was better to get the heartbreak over with.

ETA: Thinking about it a little more, she may also have had some resentment toward him for getting better when her daughter was getting worse.

Edited by CarpeFelis
added comment
  • Love 14

Got a little emotional with the patient of the week....and totally blame ER-before that show they didn't let the nice, cute blond girl die. They always found some way to save her even if she lost her memory. But that show let them die....and often off-screen. And I also like that they didn't let the mom be a total bitch and really had the characters act almost like real people. Well done show.

Plus, we finally got to see what Carly sees in Shawn. I cant recall ever really seeing that side of caring and compassion and having it come so easy and so natural.....even with the Shawn monotone.  This episode they "showed" us why she cares about him, rather than just telling us. Plus, it was cool seeing them work together as equals and that Shawn respects her and her intellect. Well done show.

And glad that Claire and Melendez didnt just hop into bed to get over the loss of the patient. Many shows would have...and I think this show would have with someone other than Melendez, who seems way too buttoned up to do that without a lot of thought and analysis, especially with a subordinate.

• Love 9

I wish that they had gotten a little more into what her issue was, because there was clearly something there.

35 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

She was obviously trying to break them up. With all the hurt facial expressions she kept making, I’d assumed it was all about herself and she was probably a control freak. So I was surprised she didn’t flip out. When she saw how happy Angie was she backed down. So I’m guessing she thought Ryan, being a kid, would probably flake out at some point during Angie’s very difficult recovery and make it even more difficult, so it was better to get the heartbreak over with.

ETA: Thinking about it a little more, she may also have had some resentment toward him for getting better when her daughter was getting worse.

These are also good theories.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Shaun, Morgan, and Carly's case was done well. Yay for more Carly! Like Lea, it seemed like she was only there for Shaun. But the show keeps forgetting that Carly's a doctor, so she could interact more with the other characters. And then she did, with Lim! And Morgan! That helped me a lot with Carly this week. And her and Shaun took a HUGE step forward, which is all that I wanted. Plus, they didn't really fight this week. It was Shaun confused about Carly's feelings, Carly also confused about her feelings, but also dealing with her first patient.

Yes.  I was about ready to throw in the towel with them, but this one episode showed them together in a positive light and actually showed why they liked each other and how they could work together and how they communicate with each other.  Honestly this is the first time I've really liked them together since the early days.  Also the case was a good one.  And I loved Shaun's goofy sex-drunk grin.  Man, I can just imagine him next week announcing 'Carly and I had Sex.  It was successful."  LOL.

I also liked Claire & Melendez' case.  I actually got a little sad about it.  And of course Melendez was prom king.  I can't lie, I am a big Claire/Melendez shipper and have been since before Lim came along.  It is all wrong of course because of the boss/subordinate thing -- but damming, it would be so nice because they have smolder and they aren't even trying!!

• Love 16

So, I'm a little confused about Morgan and her goals.  Is she still intending to be a surgeon? Her condition is a secret from all except her doctor?  I suppose that she is just denying that her RA is going to interfere with this.  But, isn't it a lot of time, money and energy into something that she might not be able to utilize? Couldn't she consider things like, psychiatry, oncology, or something that does not require manual dexterity.  Once, it's discovered, would she even be able to get liability insurance?   RA runs in my family.  I have some of the other autoimmune conditions, but, not RA.  It can be extremely debilitating. My cousin was a nurse and had to retire early.  My grandfather was bedridden with it and sadly died before some of the more modern treatments were developed. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I noticed Nestor Carbonell directed this.  It would be nice to see him as a guest star some day, but I read somewhere he was planning to focus more on directing than acting. 

They sure are dropping a lot of anvils that something is going to develop between Claire and Melendez romantically, which doesn’t thrill me.  I think it would make an awkward work situation with Dr. Lim still at the hospital and also with Claire being his subordinate.  Please show, don’t go there!

Speaking of Claire, I was almost certain that Angie was either going to get an infection after seeing Ryan or the mother was going to show up and demand Claire be taken off the case (or both).  I was pleasantly surprised when neither happened.  Too bad she ended up losing her battle with cancer though. 

I’m still not feeling Carly and Shaun.  Even though they seem to have made some progress, I personally don’t feel the actors have much chemistry together.  I wonder if the actor playing Leah is leaving the show. 

• Love 4

My guess with Morgan is that (1) she loves being a surgeon and doesn't want to give it up yet, (2) she's a little in denial and is hoping it won't get worse, and (3) maybe she thinks she can turn her surgical experience to good use in another way, like research or consulting, the way they showed Glassman consulting during this week's surgery, where he scrubbed in but didn't cut.

• Love 6

It's past time that they showed us a reason why Carly and Shaun should be together. I really like that they showed Carly being vulnerable about her abilities and doctoring rather than sexual jealousy of Lea.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Given that the mom brought in Angie's teddy bear for her, I got the impression that she was trying to keep Angie as her baby girl. When she saw how happy Angie was with Ryan, she accepted that her baby was growing up, and that Ryan was good for her.

When Melendez asked Claire to dance, the person I was watching with jumped up and said "See, that's how House and Cameron could have been. Or Wilson and Cameron since he was nicer."

Kudos to the writer and director for the fake out of Shaun and Carly being the ones to slam the door open to have sex, not Melendez and Claire.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

My guess with Morgan is that (1) she loves being a surgeon and doesn't want to give it up yet, (2) she's a little in denial and is hoping it won't get worse, and (3) maybe she thinks she can turn her surgical experience to good use in another way, like research or consulting, the way they showed Glassman consulting during this week's surgery, where he scrubbed in but didn't cut.

Yes. It's too soon for her to give up on her dream of being a surgeon. She thinks that she can overcome anything.

• Love 4

I do think Clair got a win on some level with the prom thing, because she made one of the girl's last experiences a very happy one.  Looks like she (they?) spent some money on those prom decorations, but hey they're making doctor salaries.  I don't understand why they didn't think the mother would be upset about it though, she had made her wishes very clear.

The mother almost seemed to be jealous of the boyfriend, but yeah it would have been nice if they had given a clear reason.

I had to laugh at Melendez being prom king.  

Wonder if we'll see any more of Leah, and if so in what form?  Having lunches together?  Coming to Shaun and Carly's dinner parties?

• Love 3

Yes. It's too soon for her to give up on her dream of being a surgeon. She thinks that she can overcome anything.

and jeopardizing her patients. Dr Toby knows he can't/shouldn't operate anymore even tho he had mad skills, so he doesn't operate. She doesnt have mad skills or at least hasnt developed them and therefore she is being reckless and selfish and dangerous.....

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Wonder if we'll see any more of Leah, and if so in what form?  Having lunches together?  Coming to Shaun and Carly's dinner parties?

I think it will be hard for them to work Leah into the show, if she isn't living with/near Shaun. The show hasn't really been using her very much as it is.

It kind of sucks because Shaun deserves to have friends, and Leah seemed good for him. I wonder if they will have Shaun reach out to her to move back in if he and Carly break up? I would assume she would reject that.

It also sucks for Leah to have to move out, it looks like she did it pretty quickly. I wasn't some huge fan of hers, but it just seems crappy to be in her shoes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

It also sucks for Leah to have to move out, it looks like she did it pretty quickly. I wasn't some huge fan of hers, but it just seems crappy to be in her shoes.

It's one of the hazards of moving in with someone of the opposite sex.  You should pretty much expect that at some point, they are going to meet someone that they want to have a serious relationship with.  And that partner is not likely to like the living arrangements.  

Leah should be all right, she was resistant to moving in there in the first place.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It kind of sucks because Shaun deserves to have friends, and Leah seemed good for him. I wonder if they will have Shaun reach out to her to move back in if he and Carly break up? I would assume she would reject that.

Shaun does needs friends. 

It was a misstep, imo, to introduce Lea with a big honkin' telegraph that they'd try to make her a romantic interest for Shaun.  It would have been nice for her to have simply stayed his next door neighbor who was a cool friend. 

This is one of the reasons I miss having Kalu around.  There was a point when it seemed like they trying to make Claire and Kalu into a friends group for Shaun.  But they jettisoned him, seemed to back off from  friendship they were forming between Claire and Shaun, and intro'd Morgan and Park neither of whom seem like they be a comfortable fit as friends-friends for Shaun.

• Love 11

Good episode although I wonder why they are always trying to break Claire?  Of all the things that they could have done to show her "acting out," I am still disturbed that they chose sexually promiscuous.  

It was difficult to tell if the mother had issues with the boyfriend before the daughter got sick or if that was a recent development.  Either way while everyone else was moved, I was annoyed because that would never happen in a hospital, especially as the mother said no visitors.  

I could care less about Resnik but my goodness can ANYONE on this show have a good relationship with their parents, children or siblings??!!!  Am I remembering correctly and Jared said his parents had left him or put him in boarding school or something.....

At this point I am expecting Melendez' parents to be serial killers......

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

It's one of the hazards of moving in with someone of the opposite sex.  You should pretty much expect that at some point, they are going to meet someone that they want to have a serious relationship with.  And that partner is not likely to like the living arrangements.  

Leah should be all right, she was resistant to moving in there in the first place.

Yes, I am sure she will be fine. But I feel like if you trust the person you are dating, having a roommate of the opposite sex shouldn't be any different than having one of the same sex. It seems like Carly doesn't totally trust Shaun.

But I am glad they got some happiness in this episode.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, izabella said:

Did Melendez and Lim officially break up?  I do not want to see a cheating triangle with them and Claire.  Just no. 

Yes; several episodes ago. :(

• Love 1

Melendez and Kim broke up because they were having work disagreements and her being his boss gave her the final word something they were both having trouble with.  In the way of teasers, it was implied in an interview at TV Line which I can't find at the moment that

Spoiler

the door is not shut but they are not going to get back together this season.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

She was also going to write that paper with, uhhhh, what's his name - the guy that was the chief of surgery.

She might also want to give it time to see how she progresses - since if it progresses rapidly, she will obviously need to switch specialties, but if it progresses slowly, she can be a surgeon for a while. She might also still be trying to fully grasp the diagnosis and grieve the career/specialty she wanted.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I could care less about Resnik but my goodness can ANYONE on this show have a good relationship with their parents, children or siblings??!!! 

Probably part of David Shore's cynicism.

19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yes, I am sure she will be fine. But I feel like if you trust the person you are dating, having a roommate of the opposite sex shouldn't be any different than having one of the same sex. It seems like Carly doesn't totally trust Shaun.

I think for most people, there's going to be a point where it's not okay anymore.  Carly was okay with it at first, but as she became more intimate she wasn't comfortable with it anymore.  Especially after Shaun decided to take Lea to Wyoming to comfort him, when Carly clearly wanted to be asked, and to fill that role.

Anyway, different people have different lines in the sand.  If you trust them living together, do you trust them sleeping together in the same bed?  Do you trust them snuggling through the night?  Do you trust them kissing on the lips?  Making out through the night?  Having sex?  Some couples would be fine with all of that.  Some wouldn't be fine with any of it.  For most people, somewhere in there a line is going to be crossed, they just have to decide where it is.  And they should have the right to.

• Love 4

It is probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Carly with Shawn. She seems too serious and treats him like a project. Leah on the other hand has fun with him does goofy things and shows him casual affection. I also think it’s pretty presumptuous of a relatively new girlfriend to demand he kick out his roommate especially on such short notice. Lots of people these days have opposite sex roomies.  Or is her plan to move in? I guess I just don’t like it when partners start issuing orders 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, milner said:

It is probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Carly with Shawn. She seems too serious and treats him like a project. Leah on the other hand has fun with him does goofy things and shows him casual affection. I also think it’s pretty presumptuous of a relatively new girlfriend to demand he kick out his roommate especially on such short notice. Lots of people these days have opposite sex roomies.  Or is her plan to move in? I guess I just don’t like it when partners start issuing orders 

I don’t care for them as a couple either.  They seem mismatched to me, for many of the reasons you stated.  However, I didn’t really feel she was issuing orders as much as she was establishing what her comfort zone was.  That being said, I think Shaun should have been the one to have moved out.  I suppose the lease is in his name, but he could always sublet it to her.  It hardly seems fair to expect a roommate, at the drop of a hat, to just up and move out, especially after you had to persuade them to move in with you in the first place.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, milner said:

It is probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Carly with Shawn. She seems too serious and treats him like a project. Leah on the other hand has fun with him does goofy things and shows him casual affection. I also think it’s pretty presumptuous of a relatively new girlfriend to demand he kick out his roommate especially on such short notice. 

1)  I'm not at all convinced Shaun and Carly are long term.

2)  Lea is fun and goofy, but she also made it clear she has no interest in being in a romantic relationship with Shaun.

3)  I think it was Shaun's idea to ask Lea to leave on such short notice, because he wanted to bed Carly, and this was the quickest way to do it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Exactly. It's also possible new therapies come out that can slow the progression of the disease even further. 

Yeah, RA is one of the popular diseases for research - and since Reznick is in a state like California, they'll have quite a few clinical trials available if she wanted to go that route. I bet they'll do that, then she'll bump into a patient there, and then the RA comes out.

• Love 2

I want Claire to be Shaun's new roommate.

Well, Shaun would like her free sexual attitude  🙂

Looks like she's traded it for therapy sessions and jogging though.

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I want Claire to be Shaun's new roommate.

If he gets a new roommate, I'd rather it be someone who just shares the apartment but doesn't really have a relationship with Shaun. I'd love for the show to guve him a roomie who he almost never sees or talks to, but pays the rent and keeps the place clean, to eliminate the roommate as a source of conflict. Develop the relationships that already exist instead.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

If he gets a new roommate, I'd rather it be someone who just shares the apartment but doesn't really have a relationship with Shaun. I'd love for the show to guve him a roomie who he almost never sees or talks to, but pays the rent and keeps the place clean, to eliminate the roommate as a source of conflict. Develop the relationships that already exist instead.

Have the roommate be heard, but never seen.

Like how some characters were in 90s sitcoms, you heard about them from time to time, but nope, never seen them.

• Love 1

It's a 2 bedroom apartment, though; his old one was (I think) a studio or one bedroom. I thought it might be too expensive for him alone. Also, I like seeing him interact with other people. I don't want a roommate to become a distraction, but a few "drive by" scenes and small interactions I think could be amusing. It's not necessary, though. I just kind of assumed it was going to happen.

• Love 5

This was a really good episode for Carly/Shaun, I really liked Carly being more involved with the case and dealing with actually getting to see a patient and how much that affected her, and then Shaun actually doing a really good job comforting her and saying how their patient would be dead without her. The zebra fish thing was really cool, and it was fun seeing her and Shaun using their combined intelligence to solve the problem. And they finally have sex! Sex times have been successfully had! It was also nice to get more into Carly's head and get to know her more outside of her relationship with Shaun, getting more into her own insecurities and professional hangups and successes. 

I didnt expect poor Angie to die, that case really hurt. Its another tough break for Claire, but at least she helped make Angie's last days nice, and gave Ryan and her mom one last good memory of her. 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, CarpeFelis said:

She was obviously trying to break them up. With all the hurt facial expressions she kept making, I’d assumed it was all about herself and she was probably a control freak.

I think there was definitely some of that going on, I thought it was weird how her response to Angie wanting to go to prom with her boyfriend was offering to take her to a nice dinner just the two of them, literally the exact opposite of a dance with her boyfriend! I also thought it was really crappy that she let Angie think that her boyfriend ditched her just because she wanted to be the only person in her life, and kept giving the poor kid death glares every time he came around, but I think it was really that she was super overprotective, thinking that anyone not her would inevitably hurt her daughter, and still saw her daughter as a little girl, hence her bringing her a teddy bear when her daughter was just begging to get to go to prom. It looked like it finally hit her that Angie had grown up and could be happy with other people when she saw her having fun at prom. It was a nice bit where they hugged each other when she died. I do wish they had gotten a bit more into what her exact issue was, but there was a lot implied. 

Of course Melendez was prom king! Great seeing Claire slowly recovering and getting back to herself, and that she and Melendez didnt hit the sheets, but when on a run! If they really are going to go there with them, I hope that its a slow burn.

Nestor Carbonell  did a good job directing! I know he is mostly doing behind the scenes stuff now, but it would be cool to see him show up sometime as a guest star.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 1/21/2020 at 11:43 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Side note: since when is Melendez a neurosurgeon?

Yes this is the most unrealistic aspect Of the show for me. I think Melendez is supposed to be cardio thoracic surgeon but he does neurology, oncology, Siamese twin separation, trauma, you name it.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/21/2020 at 2:47 PM, statsgirl said:

Given that the mom brought in Angie's teddy bear for her, I got the impression that she was trying to keep Angie as her baby girl. When she saw how happy Angie was with Ryan, she accepted that her baby was growing up, and that Ryan was good for her.

I thought the same thing, especially when she brought the bear. She was afraid of losing her little girl, which she did. But at least she accepted that she had grown up, which had the added benefit of enabling her and Ryan to comfort each other.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, milner said:

I thought it was wrong of Carly to object to Leah living with Shawn, too. Shawn needs friends, and he hasn't had that many in his life. Not cool for Carly to shut down one of his closest ones, who understands him and knows what he's been through. I don't see why Carly should have expected him to ask her to go to Wyoming with him, either; their relationship is still so new, he is frequently uncomfortable with her, and he had a lot on his plate with his parents. Just because Carly wanted to be the one to go doesn't mean she was the right person to go. And just because Leah comforted Shawn after an event that would have been traumatic for anyone, it doesn't they would inevitably sleep together. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:49 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

This hit me right in the feels. I was rooting for a House/Cameron romance and it never came to pass. I hated him and Cuddy together. 

Same! I can't even watch the episodes when they were together. 

• Love 2

I'm keeping it simple here

Shaun got LAID, finally.  He didn't run away from his own apartment after lying in bed and really having sex with Carly,

Shaun SMILED after sex.   Amazing.

I, personally, was getting to the point that I would stop watching the show if this story line didn't resolve itself.   It finally did.549351589_images(5).jpeg.6b0852a9a4ff43c5225e20b410e6797a.jpeg

• Love 3
On 1/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, Zoe said:

Claire totally runs like a girl.

She doesn’t run like a runner, that’s for sure. And she was a runner in prior episodes. Bad directing, IMO. 

The only time I heard a tiny bit of Antonia Thomas‘s British accent was when she was upset and talking to Melendez on the bridge. But she still nailed the emotionality of the scene. 

• Love 1