Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Help Me Through the Night

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, anna0852 said:

I just recently thought (cause I'd forgotten) but I wonder if dating Jackson is her subconscious way of hurting Maggie. Maggie was the doctor who couldn't save Ripley and Vic is very much Not A Fan.

That's a great idea.

Unfortunately it's probably beyond these writers.

5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

They just needed a non-hurt intern/resident to keep an eye on Parker! Why trust a sedated Hellmouth? Nico and Schmitt didn't even come by until later.

Parker had a PTSD - induced psychotic break that caused him to run away and hide. He needs more than a surgical resident to keep an eye on him, even a conscious non-injured one. A nurse would have been an improvement, a psychiatric  nurse a vast improvement.

I hate this show when it considers a surgical intern to be  >>>>>>>>>> everyone else.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

especially since I made the mistake of watching Station 19 and whatshername's endless repetition of "my hot doctor lover" made me hate her faster than I've ever hated a TV character.

Ugh, that was so annoying.

18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I hate this show when it considers a surgical intern to be  >>>>>>>>>> everyone else.

Sometimes I think they forget that other kinds of doctors exist.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

She played Mrs. Teasley, the high school principal on Beverly Hills, 90210.

Ah, yes. The only high school counselor in history to attend a former high school student’s bachelorette party. 

Who is McWidow?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This episode was so boring, and probably more so b/c I’m still pissed about the Alex Karev situation. Seriously, how are they going to write him out with no more future appearances?

Didn’t watch Station 19. Hate Bailey’s bad acting freak outs that have been going on for too many years now, not interested in a “who’s the baby daddy” storyline, and like you I didn’t know who Korasic’s intern was so why should we have cared?

And wasn’t Nico interviewing for some amazing position several episodes ago? Why is he still here? I don’t hate Schmidt as much as most people, but he and Nico have such awkward chemistry together, and he really brings nothing to the table. 

I have to finish out the series because I’m too invested, but I’m bored and hate watching at this point. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Especially since she strong-armed Bailey into making her an attending.

Parker should be on the psych floor in a locked ward, not parked in Helms' recovery room because they can't find a place for him.

Wasn't Maggie the one who broke up with him?

Meredith really was treating him like crap and he confronted her on it. It's like for her, men are either for sex and disposable without regard to their feelings, or they're surgical gods who are worthy of being her consort.  I'd suggest therapy but that kind of person isn't open to change.

From your mouth to the writers' fingers. Linc and Amelia are the ONLY relationship on this soap opera that I enjoy, especially since I made the mistake of watching Station 19 and whatshername's endless repetition of "my hot doctor lover" made me hate her faster than I've ever hated a TV character.

No he broke up with Maggie.  yes Meredith does treat him  like crap but that wasn't the reason he broke up with her

• Love 1

I was so waiting for Owen to call Koracick “Tommy” as he walked away.

Since I watch The Good Place and Project Runway, Grey’s is a recorded watch for me. After looking at the 5 comments the Station 19 thread had, I knew I hadn’t missed anything important. I learned a LONG time ago that very special “crossover” events have to be self contained so those watching years from now in syndication can still follow the story.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Okay, so I googled...

According to the Grey's wiki:

"Hannah Brody is a surgical resident at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital."
She has been on in seasons 12-16 and has all of 15 appearances.

I still don't remotely remember her.

https://greysanatomy.fandom.com/wiki/Hannah_Brody

I think they are gas lighting us. I do not remember her at all. Unless maybe she was just a background person and never had lines, and people didn't say her name?

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's likely that they didn't know at the time of filming that Justin was definitely not coming back, so they left his ending open-ended in case he would return. Or, alternatively, they didn't want to rush his abrupt exit so they're leaving it open-ended for another episode. 

Justin Chambers is leaving? When did that happen? He has been my favorite character for a long time, that totally sucks. It seems weird that they wouldn't have him stay long enough to do a proper goodbye episode, unless there's bad blood. They better keep him alive offscreen.

• Love 4

I watched a few minutes of the end of Station 19, and hated it.    Then I sort of watched Grey's, and it reinforced my decision to just look at the tidbits on here, and skip the show.    It was so boring.    Having Bailey and others not know what to do for a mass casualty wasn't realistic, since they have had a major disaster every season of the show, and sometimes more than one.  I know Bailey was still suffering from her miscarriage, but no one else was stepping up to take command either.   Plus, having Teddy, and Amelia standing around chatting in the middle of a major load of seriously injured patients was bizarre.   

They've been rerunning the first season of Grey's on Lifetime on Mondays, and the contrast is so dramatic.   The first seasons are the reason I watched this show for so long, and they've lost all of the excitement, and complex medical stories that made this show so good.  

On the media thread they discuss the dust up when Justin's departure happened.   His last episode was the fall mid season finale, when he went to take care of his mother.   From what's been said, he isn't getting a final scene or anything.    Something like when Dr Hahn just disappeared. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:
On 1/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, redfish said:

Seriously show, stop making Korasik the bad guy.

SO SO SO very much this! He'd become pretty much my favorite snarky character and it seems like they just decided midstream they needed him to be the asshole to make the other characters who kinda ARE assholes seem less assaholic and it is NOT WORKING FOR ME AT ALL.

Bring back original recipe Koracik, please. 

I agree 1000%

• Love 2
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Justin Chambers is leaving? When did that happen? He has been my favorite character for a long time, that totally sucks.

He's already left, his last episode was when he brought all of the former patients to Meredith's trial. He's been the main reason I've kept watching for awhile, too, so I completely agree that it totally sucks.

• Love 5
On 1/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, pieinmyeye said:

To add to the confusion, did anyone recognize the woman playing Sims(?) grandmother? She looked familiar, but I didn’t see a name I recognize in the credits.

If you watch The Resident, she plays A. J. Austin's mother.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

He's already left, his last episode was when he brought all of the former patients to Meredith's trial. He's been the main reason I've kept watching for awhile, too, so I completely agree that it totally sucks.

It also just kind of proves that no matter what happened, Justin was pretty done with the show and wants to move on with his career and life. How they handle this is a different question, but how are they going to explain: Jo still being around. McWidower just magically having Alex's job because Christina said so? The show went off the rails a long time that the writers are acting like a bunch of 11 year olds trying to write their first essay for a teacher. ABC really needs to step in and go: "Yeah, we need to end this. There is nothing left."

• Love 5
6 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

If you watch The Resident, she plays A. J. Austin's mother.

THANK YOU!!! I love The Resident and I LOVE A.J. Austin/MJW. Talk about a child star who has really come into his own as an adult. The episode with his parents (all of them) made me cry. 

• Love 4
On 1/23/2020 at 9:56 PM, ams1001 said:

Atticus and Scout? Uh, Scout's a girl. The boy is Jem.

Also don't name your kid Scout.

My first reaction was exactly that- don’t name your son Scout, people will think it’s a girl’s name. Then it occurred to me that tons of people give their daughters names that might be considered “boy” names, so I guess I’m okay with it. Except the Atticus connection might be a little much, girl or boy. 

On 1/23/2020 at 9:31 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Is he the one with PTSD? Who’s the person having facial surgery? Besides the doctors, the only ones I know are Helms and Schmidt, who I could do without.

Okay, show. You have characters with a first name and a last name and a nickname (or two, looking at you, Glasses/Contacts), then half of the time they’re on screen they’re wearing a mask and a surgical cap, so all you can see is their eyes. Can’t figure out why I’m having so much trouble figuring out who’s who. (And have we ever heard Helms’s first name before?) 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, funnygirl said:

Intern/Resident/Dead Weight Hannah Brody is played by Debbie Allen's daughter. 

So that explains why she's here. 

It seems her brother, or Allen's son I guess, is on the show as well. According to imdb he sometimes plays a nurse, sometimes an intern (intern James)

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

(And have we ever heard Helms’s first name before?) 

Taryn Helm. Yes, we've heard it. And I still had to think about it for a couple minutes before it came to me. Popped into my head just as I was giving up and opening a new tab to google it. (And it was in at least one of the recaps I just read yesterday, too, in the comments of which someone was commenting on how confusing it was to read the recap when the writer kept referring to characters by their name in one paragraph and their nickname in the next.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, abc123 said:

Seriously, how are they going to write him out with no more future appearances?

I don't think they're going to write him out.  He'll just be referred to.  He was already working at the other hospital, so it would be easy for them to just pretend that's where he is all the time.  

"I spoke to Alex about...."

"Alex stopped by to see the kids..."

"I consulted with Alex and he said..."

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 1/23/2020 at 10:44 PM, funnygirl said:

Amelia's baby better not be Owen's. Link doesn't deserve that. 

Didn't they confirm in the previous episode that it was Owen's?  Am I misremembering that she went into the ultrasound thinking she was X number of weeks along, which would make it Linc, but was told she was (I think) 4 weeks more along than she thought, which would make it Owen's (unless she slept with someone between owen and LInc)

22 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

was told she was (I think) 4 weeks more along than she thought,

I think that it was 2 weeks further along..  That's enough difference to tease, but also enough leeway to make it Linc's.

On the other hand, that doesn't make sense since you start counting from the last menstrual period an they're usually 4 weeks apart.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, dmc said:

No he broke up with Maggie.  yes Meredith does treat him  like crap but that wasn't the reason he broke up with her

He didn't break up with Maggie though, he told her that he was stepping back so that she could take some time to think about what she really wants, whether it;s him or something else. It rather makes him the adult in the relationship.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That's enough difference to tease

But I thought it wasn't a tease.  I assumed it was pretty definite that both couples are at a good place and now this will muck it up.  which pisses me off because Linc has been super cute and super supportive through this whole thing and Hunt needs another baby like he needs a hole in the head.  So stupid of Shonda.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

On the other hand, that doesn't make sense since you start counting from the last menstrual period an they're usually 4 weeks apart.

Didn't she make a comment at one point about not having periods because of being on birth control? Which would make determining how far along she is that much more questionable. (And I'm sure that ambiguity was the purpose of said comment.)

35 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

But I thought it wasn't a tease.  I assumed it was pretty definite that both couples are at a good place and now this will muck it up.  which pisses me off because Linc has been super cute and super supportive through this whole thing and Hunt needs another baby like he needs a hole in the head.  So stupid of Shonda.  

In the preview for the next episode she tells Linc "there's a chance" he's not the father. So she's not sure, yet.

• Useful 1

I’ve watched station 19 since it’s first episode and thought that episode was way more interesting than this Greys. 

ive watched greys since the beginning and have rarely missed an episode and I e enjoyed most of them. This time though I had no idea who Brody was. Had no idea whose face they redid. Remember the name Parker but that’s it about that character. I had to google all those people. Also couldn’t remember the story line with the guy and the wife and Deluca. I was like wtf half the episode.

then I come here and fine out Alex is gone for good??? Ugh!! I had no idea and I’m super disappointed. How many more seasons has this been renewed for? This is the first time I’ve wondered if I should even bother anymore.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Which would make determining how far along she is that much more questionable. (

I googled the transcript for that episode and she says she's 20 weeks, but the ultrasound person says she's 24 weeks.  So the ultrasound confirms how far along she is.  Question is, when did she and Linc hook up for the first time.  

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

In the preview for the next episode she tells Linc "there's a chance" he's not the father. So she's not sure, yet.

Maybe that's just an easy way to eaze into it for him.  The look on her face when she's told she's 24 weeks made me think she knew it couldn't possibly be Linc's.  Now, like I say, I'm hoping I'm wrong and it turns out to be LInc's but Shonda can be a biatch with her shows and I never get what I want.   

8 hours ago, Spicymustard said:

I had no idea who Brody was. Had no idea whose face they redid. Remember the name Parker but that’s it about that character. I had to google all those people. Also couldn’t remember the story line with the guy and the wife and Deluca.

Same here.  They really should have done a "previously on" at the beginning because the only thing I remembered was Bailey's miscarriage.  Had totally forgotten about the who's the daddy and why Maggie had quit.  Also, I don't beleive that the face transplant guy and the chick with the scratches on her face, have been on the show before this episode.   I remembered the interns as being Glasses, Helms, Parker and the muslim woman that Bailey fired a few episodes ago.  And I barely remember their names.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Also, I don't beleive that the face transplant guy and the chick with the scratches on her face, have been on the show before this episode. 

Face guy was on (I did remember him, sort of, once I figured out who the hell he was...I did not know his name before reading comments on here) but his whole character seemed to be "be a dick to the other residents for no discernible reason whatsoever except that he thinks he's better than everyone else." Apparently he's Koracik's protege so I guess he learned it from him. I was never clear on where he came from or how he came to be transferred there in the middle of the program. I think all his scenes have been with the group, never anything focused just on him.

The woman Brody I don't remember ever seeing before. I certainly don't remember hearing her name. Even though the wiki page for her character gives a little synopsis of all the stories she was supposedly involved in. So show acting like she's been there all along is really annoying.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I don't think they're going to write him out.  He'll just be referred to.  He was already working at the other hospital, so it would be easy for them to just pretend that's where he is all the time.  

"I spoke to Alex about...."

"Alex stopped by to see the kids..."

"I consulted with Alex and he said..."

I always wished this is what they would have done with Mark.  So I'll be satisfied with the Alex situation if that's how they handle it. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Shellie said:

I always wished this is what they would have done with Mark.  So I'll be satisfied with the Alex situation if that's how they handle it. 

I hate when shows kill off a character (or some other grand exit) just for the sake of drama, when the actor just chose to leave. And I would be annoyed if they went through all the wedding fiasco/oh no our license never got filed we're not really married/let's go make it official stuff just to have them break up, or Alex die, offscreen. He already works elsewhere. He's in charge at another hospital; it's plausible enough that he's just at work if they have scenes at their apartment. 

But it would mean no future romantic storylines for Jo so they probably won't do that.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if Alex will be referred to while off-screen (obviously) for the rest of this season and Jo will continue to work as usual, then either in the final episode or in episode 1 of Season 17 we'll find one or the other was offered a fantastic, can't possibly refuse job or research position and they re-located.  It would mean losing Jo, but Grey's is notorious for its revolving door.

• Love 2

If they do just keep Alex offscreen, I wonder if the others who joined him at the other hospital will come back to Grey Sloan. Would seem odd to see them working there while Alex is never around. And now that Richard and Bailey had their moment maybe she'll hire him back. And Hunt for whatever reason they concoct (not that he actually ever seemed to go away...).

I wouldn't really care one way or the other if Jo decides to relocate with Alex somewhere else. Maybe Iowa.

Edited by ams1001

I was very disappointed by this episode like many others. I thought we'd lose at least one annoying intern and we lost zero. I don't know why we are stuck with Glasses. He is not cute; he is not interesting. He just makes you hope real medical schools weed out people like him. I could do without Helm as well but she at least acts competent at times when they are not having her crush on Meredith.

I, too, kept wondering who some of these people were. At first I thought maybe it was Maggie who was in the bar since it was kind of dark and I was watching without wearing my glasses. Then I could not remember why Maggie wasn't around until the very end.

I watched Station 19 in case it was necessary. My takeaway is they seem to have a firehouse full of people who date each other and then realize that might inhibit their career advancement. Didn't make me want to watch more.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, Quark said:

I thought this episode was a step-up as there was no Maggie.

But then she had to appear at the end.

OMG! Right! I didn't even miss her or remember her existence until she appeared and then I was like -- oh? Maggie.

Anyway -- late to the game -- I record that shit and watch later -- and I am glad I did. Anything Owen and Teddy I FF through. Also when Bailey started to weep and sob and blah blah -- I FF through that shit too. Sometimes she is just TOO MUCH.

So all the injured people are interns? At Grey's Death Hospital? Cuz I didn't feel like I recognized half of them. The one that professed her love to Mere is...?? Hellmouth? or something? And the weird little twerp that fainted and kept apologizing to Mere is...??? Yeah right! Whatshisname. The other's I feel like we have never even heard their names. So I didn't care.

• Love 1

I watched Station 19 for the first time, and nothing made me want to watch it again. I eventually figured out I could fast-forward thru the scenes that only featured Station 19 characters though. 

I agree there was a missed opportunity here to cull the herd of random interns I've never bothered to learn the names of. The show has done a crap job fleshing out these characters or making us care about them. 

Having Bailey and others not know what to do for a mass casualty wasn't realistic, since they have had a major disaster every season of the show, and sometimes more than one. 

I also didn't understand why she was in such a panic to call in extra doctors like there was some sort of mass casualty event. There were about six hurt people and one dead. Isn't that like a normal day at the hospital? Why did they need extra hands on deck?

To add to the confusion, did anyone recognize the woman playing Sims(?) grandmother? She looked familiar, but I didn’t see a name I recognize in the credits.

She played the Angel of Destiny on Charmed.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

My takeaway is they seem to have a firehouse full of people who date each other and then realize that might inhibit their career advancement.

Well, at least that's slightly more realistic than the relationship dynamics on Grey's...

• Love 1
On 1/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, taanja said:

So all the injured people are interns? At Grey's Death Hospital? Cuz I didn't feel like I recognized half of them. The one that professed her love to Mere is...?? Hellmouth? or something? And the weird little twerp that fainted and kept apologizing to Mere is...??? Yeah right! Whatshisname. The other's I feel like we have never even heard their names. So I didn't care.

Here’s my best guess, and very proud of myself for getting this far. Please let me down easy if I’m wrong. 
Intern with crush on Meredith=Helm=Helmouth =Taryn

clumsy intern=Schmidt =Levi=glasses= contacts 

Bonus: ptsd intern = Casey= trans guy who saved the hospital from cyberattack because he learned how to hack into the system to change the gender on his personnel file or something like that. 

I’m sure there were other interns but I’m blanking on them now. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Updated to correct Helms to Helm.
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Here’s my best guess, and very proud of myself for getting this far. Please let me down easy if I’m wrong. 
Intern with crush on Meredith=Helms=Helmouth =Taryn

clumsy intern=Schmidt =Levi=glasses= contacts 

Bonus: ptsd intern = Casey= trans guy who saved the hospital from cyberattack because he learned how to hack into the system to change the gender on his personnel file or something like that. 

I’m sure there were other interns but I’m blanking on them now. 

Pretty much (except it's Helm, no S).

I had to google the hacking details; he hacked into the DMV because they wouldn't change the gender on his license.

The other interns were Simms and Brody; know one knows who the hell they are, so don't feel bad about that.

(Actually, I think they're all residents now.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Pretty much (except it's Helm, no S).

Oh poop. And I have one of those last names that people keep wanting to add a “s” to. For the record, I can’t mention Seth Myers (or Meyer?) without checking with IMDb first. 

4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh poop. And I have one of those last names that people keep wanting to add a “s” to. For the record, I can’t mention Seth Myers (or Meyer?) without checking with IMDb first. 

Meyers. 😉 (I have his show's youtube page bookmarked.)

A few people have written "Helms" so it's not just you.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also didn't understand why she was in such a panic to call in extra doctors like there was some sort of mass casualty event. There were about six hurt people and one dead. Isn't that like a normal day at the hospital? Why did they need extra hands on deck?

I had the same thought. Kept hearing all hands on deck like their were 50 people to treat. There were around 3 or something. I get people wanting to be there to help out colleagues who were hurt but the all hands stuff was weird. And they kept saying it.

Giving Bailey some grace on this one - she had just had a miscarriage the same day and you also have to take into consideration that not only were their the hospital people who were injured but the man who had a heart attack and they didn't know how many other people might come in.  She should have been home resting in bed!

• Love 5

I don't know how many years it's been.. But I had a big issue about Ben asking for privileges (and more importantly, given to him).  you haven't operated in years. you haven't honed your skills. you're rusty as hell. this isn't knitting or anything that you can pick up and everything. like. you picked your lane (again) and just stay in it. 

• Love 3

"You did the right thing." How has NO ONE said this to Schmitt?
"You did the right thing. You noticed that a patient's ID bracelet was incorrect--a pediatric patient at that--and you brought it to the attention of an Attending." How has NO ONE said this to Schmitt?
This episode gave us one final opportunity, with Schmitt telling Meredith she must hate him. What does The Sun say? Does she say "You did the right thing?" No, she says, "I don't hate you. I still have my license and my job." Meredith, whose OWN ACTIONS nearly blew up her own and several other careers, lets Schmitt of the hook (where he shouldn't be, having done the right thing) because she got away with it.
Not because he did the right thing (which he did). But because she got away with what she did. 

• Like 1