Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Change

• Start Topic

I thought the writing did an excellent job throughout the season of making the viewers want Nick to be out of the picture and a terrific job of getting him out. 

I wish I lived in a world where $50K meant I could live in a beach house in LA. This show seems to be depicting 1950s economics.

And I’m really glad Bud didn’t have to give a kidney. 
Yet another reason to not put you DNA into a public database. 
I’m sure at least Brianna and my middle daughter would agree with me. 

I really really hope “being engaged forever” becomes a real life thing that eventually replaces marriage. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

I still don't understand why on earth Sol and Robert continue to socialize with Peter. He's really a toxic, hateful person who contributes nothing to that relationship. That's one character I wish they would have completely dropped already.

Completely agreed, he is the worst. But Robert has to remain on good terms with him since he makes the casting decisions for the musicals.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Apparently I'm in the minority but I hated it. How many relationships has the show broken off just so Grace and Frankie can stay together? What is the lesson here - that women have to chose between friendship and romance? That women of a certain age have no chance to ever get a happy romantic relationship? And in the end - in a twist right out of the 'Full House' handbook of plot contrivances - Sol and Robert move in with their ex-wives. I'm sure the two lawyers will never ask about the money in the freezer.

I also did not feel Brianna and Barry but at least I enjoyed Mallory's promotion to 'supervisor'.

Ah well, despite my gripes I got some good laughs - enjoyed Joan Margaret a lot and was happy for Coyote.

• Love 9

I thought this was a big improvement over Season 5. I've never been interested in Robert's theater career, so I was glad it was only a part of this season in passing. I'm actually going to miss Nick a little bit, though, and I liked Jack with Frankie.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

but at least I enjoyed Mallory's promotion to 'supervisor'.

When you think about it, it is really ludicrous she got that job. She barely has 1 year as an intern and that is ALL of her job experience. She has no credentials whatsoever, and she  doesn't even have the experience to back her up in supervizing multiple companies. But it will be an interesting plotline so it must happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Well, “Say Grace” has always been a family business...so nepotism is perfectly logical here. Brianna had zero experience in the beauty products business when Grace retired and handed it over to her the first time.

Of course Brianna also supposedly nearly ran it into the ground...

• Love 5

I don't know if I'll like them all living together if it's too long, will be some laughs but also tiring if the repairs take too long. Sol's cancer recovery was quick, almost forgot about it. I hope he stays well.

I like how Brianna came to compromise with Barry but I always have the feeling he will want children (and not just be a donor) I don't feel it with Mallory but time will tell before it goes off if they leave them a happy childless couple or add the pregnancy.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

How many relationships has the show broken off just so Grace and Frankie can stay together?

Can't argue there, it's a fair point.

8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And in the end - in a twist right out of the 'Full House' handbook of plot contrivances - Sol and Robert move in with their ex-wives.

Agreed about the contrivance but in a way, I'd welcome seeing those four interact more regularly. I generally find Robert and Sol (moreso Robert) exhausting on their own but rather enjoyable when they interact with their exes (or their partner's ex). If it means less-to-zero of Peter next season - yes, please!

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

I like how Mallory came to compromise with Barry but I always have the feeling he will want children (and not just be a donor) I don't feel it with Mallory but time will tell before it goes off if they leave them a happy childless couple or add the pregnancy.

You meant Brianna maybe? Because if Barry ends up with Mallory that’s going to make holidays extremely awkward...

🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I really liked the season overall but loathed the idea that Sol and Robert are going to live with Grace and Frankie. After all these seasons, I still don't think Sol and Robert have really comprehended how much they hurt and devastated G&F. S&R are just selfish assholes and they prove it season after season. Plus, Martin Sheen playing Jed Bartlett with a bit of arrogance made sense. His playing Robert the same way doesn't work because Robert is pretty much a cold, selfish prick.  The worst part of S&R living at the beach house is that I can no longer fast forward their scenes as they will be too interwoven into the G&F storylines.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

You meant Brianna maybe? Because if Barry ends up with Mallory that’s going to make holidays extremely awkward...

🙂

Yes, I'll fix that. Multi-tasking never really works. ; )

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I really think the 4 of them under the same roof will be a birthing ground for great comedy. But also that it will lead the four of them to revisit their journeys together and make peace with all that has happened once and for all. Also, we might get more Sol and Grace this way. They have an entertaining dynamic but they only had like, only 3-4 scenes with just the 2 of them together so far.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

When you think about it, it is really ludicrous she got that job. She barely has 1 year as an intern and that is ALL of her job experience. She has no credentials whatsoever, and she  doesn't even have the experience to back her up in supervizing multiple companies. But it will be an interesting plotline so it must happen.

Mallory getting a job for which she is not qualified is a very common real life occurrence (e.g., the Peter Principle).

1 hour ago, debraran said:

I like how Brianna came to compromise with Barry but I always have the feeling he will want children (and not just be a donor) I don't feel it with Mallory but time will tell before it goes off if they leave them a happy childless couple or add the pregnancy.

I think having the "donor" child will be sufficient since Barry is going to be a part of it's life (regardless of whether or not the reckless moms depart this mortal coil in short order). If the show's final season includes a flash forward, I could imagine seeing them having adopted another too.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this season more than season 5. In season 5 they forgot they were a comedy. I laughed a lot this season, and none of the plots was so heavy as to suck the fun out.

I loved how they got Nick out of the picture. When they mentioned tax evasion, etc. a few times during the season I noted it and figured they would do something with it later, but I have completely forgotten when we got to this episode. When Grace's credit cards wouldn't work, I thought he had gotten mad enough to kick her out and cut her off! I'm glad that wasn't it.

• Love 13

Yes it’s a huge contrivance but my favorite scene of the season was when Robert and Sol were planning a quiet lazy day for Sol to recover and In comes Grace and Frankie and their tornado of chaos.  So I just don’t care why they are all living together.   When  they are all in the same scene it is comedy gold.

As for Mallory.  She didn’t get the job she had to apply for.  She probably wasn’t qualified for it like she thought she was.   Bit because her family owns and runs this particular company her sister can legitimately give her any job she wants.    I mean Brianna took over for Grace with probably very little actual job experience and zero people skills.   So why not hire her sister?   

For the record I got my first job because my father worked at the company and I had zero experience that required “previous experience”.  My father asked a favor from his boss and I got the job.  It’s how I acquired previous experience.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
On 1/18/2020 at 3:13 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I thought this was a big improvement over Season 5. I've never been interested in Robert's theater career, so I was glad it was only a part of this season in passing. I'm actually going to miss Nick a little bit, though, and I liked Jack with Frankie.

I did too, but not a big Nick fan, he always seemed a little "plastic" to me, his personality. My sister, God bless her, keeps saying she wants Phil back (aka Sam Elliot) I told her Robert mentioned he died and she said "no funeral, no body, might have been a mistake".  I doubt it but she can keep dreaming he comes back to Grace. I feel they will fade out last show, with Grace and Frankie sitting in the beach chairs talking about something poignant.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Yeah, I would also like to see Phil back - that was one of the cruelest plot twists the show pulled off. And I still have to giggle at Sol's comment about his mustache. But Elliot has a steady gig on 'The Ranch' - and of course there's the whole 'dead' thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I did a quick google and although I agree, many times "dead is dead" the line some missed about him dying and lack of any funeral in the paper, etc. had quite a few think it was deliberate if they felt they wanted him back. Robert heard about his wife, not him, someone got it wrong type of thing.  Only one more season but that was her "missed chance", it might be a twist but only time will tell. ; )

Edited by debraran
23 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

How many relationships has the show broken off just so Grace and Frankie can stay together?

23 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:
On 1/18/2020 at 11:14 AM, MissLucas said:

Can't argue there, it's a fair point.

Some of the break ups are contrived, but it works for me because the Sol/Robert relationship is so central to the original premise that it's hard for me to consider any relationship for the women to really be a happy ending if it doesn't have the same comfort and intimacy of those two--which is different than swept off your feet romance. I don't always like watching them, but they're clearly true love forever. And it seems like the usual thing to do is to give the women some dream romance that makes up for their heartbreak in the past. But watching the show it's just obvious that their real best relationship is with each other so it just never makes sense for a guy to be the priority. They can still date, of course, but it makes sense to me that it never leads to something permanent. Even when Grace was with Nick her real life was with Frankie.

I really liked how they got rid of Nick without making him a villain, exactly. In the end he was done in by the very things he always seemed to be. He was pleasant and nice to Grace, but there was just never a sense of him being a whole person and they dropped plenty of clues that this was the case. 

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mallory getting a job for which she is not qualified is a very common real life occurrence (e.g., the Peter Principle).

Does it even count as that? It seems like she got the job because she listened to the other woman complain about losing Briana on the phone. Very classic TV employment where people fall into jobs that will make them rich without any experience at all.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I really liked how they got rid of Nick without making him a villain, exactly. In the end he was done in by the very things he always seemed to be. He was pleasant and nice to Grace, but there was just never a sense of him being a whole person and they dropped plenty of clues that this was the case.

I appreciated this character arc too. I can't recall seeing or reading anything close to it before. Anyone else?

• Love 3

Can I just gripe about one thing? What do Grace and Frankie think they're going to do with that much cash? It's not like they can just deposit it in a bank and no one will raise any eyebrows.  Hell - I had a hard time depositing my own money back into my account when I had taken out a lot of cash to go to Cuba. The bank gave me a hard time about depositing cash, and that was only like $1500, not $50k.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I was amused that Nick knew the FBI agent by name, like she was an old friend and that he told Grace to call his ex (can’t remember her name)-she’ll know what to do...we may see Nick next season!

I thought he knew her by name because he was pretty much a career criminal who'd been arrested and maybe done time plenty of times before. So I assumed that yes, he probably would be going to jail, but it would be with white collar criminals for a period of time he could handle, then he'd get out again.

• Love 4

I'm afraid that the character, Peter keeps the plot "real" as he meddles in Sol and Robert's personal life.

Unfortunately  there are "real" Peters lurching in and out of gay male relationships.  Their zingers sting.  You just need to cut ties with them and walk away.  Maybe Robert and Sol will do just that during the final season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

You just need to cut ties with them and walk away.  Maybe Robert and Sol will do just that during the final season.

I think Grace could cut him out pretty effectively - she seems more than capable of cutting someone down to size (and I wouldn't mind seeing it!)

• Love 1

I had to laugh after watching the "couch" episode, I saw this on my TV....I feel for the guy, no one offered him anything, a new couch, part of the money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/us/couch-money-found-trnd/index.html

It seemed Nick was in trouble a lot, cop was shaking her head, like "not this time fella" We will see. Does Grace not google? I'm sure Nick has been in the news. ; )

Why can't Sol sell his bike? I know I'm nitpicking but they can get some money selling some things.  I know some funny episodes are coming up but please not too much with them living there. It will get stale if they stay too long.

I heard a lot about how they decided to extend G&F for another year after Lily had said No. But on an old youtube video when it had been on a year, Martin Sheen said he and Sam and main cast were on the show for 7 seasons, then they'd all be too old or something like that. They'd have to renogotiate salaries etc. but it seems they all wanted it to end at 7 then.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

This was my least favorite season so far, but I liked the ending. I'm glad Grace had already decided something major had to change in her relationship with Nick before the deus ex machina of FBI agents.

Loved the callback to Grace's credit cards being declined. I think she would have kept some cards in her own name, but I'll hand wave that for the sake of coming full circle to season 1 thematically.

I have always disliked Nick. Rich guys who constantly brag about their wealth and power and how the law doesn't apply to them are my least favorite types of people. So I am quite happy to see him out of the picture. As he was being arrested, I mentally noted how much this moment had been foreshadowed. Then when Frankie said, "he did brag a lot about evading taxes,"  I literally LOLed.

14 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

What do Grace and Frankie think they're going to do with that much cash? It's not like they can just deposit it in a bank and no one will raise any eyebrows. 

I know! Won't they get in trouble if they try to spend that money?!

Frankie's toilet bong was genius.

Loved that we got a lighthearted season cliffhanger for a change. Robert and Sol moving in is so sitcommy, and I'm here for it.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:
20 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

What do Grace and Frankie think they're going to do with that much cash? It's not like they can just deposit it in a bank and no one will raise any eyebrows. 

I know! Won't they get in trouble if they try to spend that money?!

A few weeks ago I saw a woman around Grace’s age use cash in the grocery store. There are quite a few Nick-type men in close geographic proximity to that grocery store. Hmmmm.  I wonder… 🤔 

• LOL 4

I liked Nick.  Grace was the only person who had never felt loved, and she pretty much blamed herself.  Sol loved Frankie, but even one of Robert’s colleagues mentioned how badly he thought Robert treated Grace.  Her daughters have always let Grace know how she failed them as a mom.  I was thrilled that Nick was head over heels for her, and I am very disappointed how it ended for her.  I also thought it was ridiculous that now supposedly he’s this career criminal and no one knew.

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

Well, Nick dropped a few hints about not paying any taxes and being at odds with the SEC, so it was signaled. Like Frankie said, those are white collar crimes...in three years he could be President. Sadly, she’s not wrong. With the right lawyers and judge, he’ll be home by Christmas. 

He was talking about how hard it is to tell someone something when you’ve put it off for a long time...voila. 

• Love 4

Their financial situation has always been a bit of a headscratcher. We're told "Vybrant" is doing well and shouldn't Grace also have some money from the sale of her company? The couch contained 50 grand - probably not enough to launch "Rise Up" but definitely too much to quietly launder away buying groceries.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

The couch contained 50 grand - probably not enough to launch "Rise Up" but definitely too much to quietly launder away buying groceries.

First thing they need to do is buy a new couch - or a couple of those recliners that works like the "Rise Up" toilet.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

When Nick was taken away, and then when Frankie mentioned white collar crime, I thought for sure they were setting it up for Grace liquidating the penthouse apartment and Nick moving in with Grace and Frankie at the beach house on a year or so of house arrest. But with Sol and Robert moving in while their house is renovated, I'm not sure.

I knew that Brianna wouldn't take the SF job because it would be too much to have her 500 miles from the rest of the family, so Mallory taking the job caught me off guard. I'm curious what they're planning to do with that. They barely mention her kids anymore, so I'm sure any question of uprooting them and moving to SF or custody arrangements with her ex will be swept up under the rug. It's not a bad flight from SF to San Diego, so maybe they will always be having her just flying down to SD when the storyline needs her to interact with the family? 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Their financial situation has always been a bit of a headscratcher. We're told "Vybrant" is doing well and shouldn't Grace also have some money from the sale of her company? The couch contained 50 grand - probably not enough to launch "Rise Up" but definitely too much to quietly launder away buying groceries.

They could fund one of Roberts shows 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Well whattaya know...I expected to be "through" with This show. I thought I was "over it" after five seasons. Sat down to watch one - ONE episode, just to see...damn near burned the kitchen down (literally, need a new stove now) I got so absorbed. This show just gets better and better and better every season...how they do that????

Edited by hnygrl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I’m really gonna miss Sol and Robert’s house! It’s like the best character on the show. I’m so in love with it.

I liked this season better than last- more laugh-out-loud moments. But some of the storylines and plot points really fizzled. Like, what happened to their old business? Bud’s finding his cousin- is that plot ending now that he isn’t a kidney donor? What was the point of it? And yes- is Mallory planning to move four kids to San Francisco?

also, is that the end for both of Frankie’s boyfriends? I thought we would revisit and get at least one of them back by the end of the season.

Edited by betha
  • Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:26 AM, chitowngirl said:

I was amused that Nick knew the FBI agent by name, like she was an old friend and that he told Grace to call his ex (can’t remember her name)-she’ll know what to do...we may see Nick next season!

In real life someone as rich as Nick would have an attorney and would probably get bail.

I want to know how he got that money in the couch, it didn't have removable cushions so that means no zippers. It looked like it had one long seat cushion that wasn't removable.

I knew they would get rid of Nick so Grace would move back with Frankie but I thought he would die.

I liked this season more than last but Sol and Robert hiding things from each other and lying to each other is kind of giving me a Cam and Mitch Modern Family vibe. Which is not good, their relationship is so toxic.

I'm not too familiar with Sam Waterston so does he always shake his head when he talks or is that a choice he's made with Sol's character?

It's really hard for me to picture Sol and Robert as good attorneys, they don't seem too bright.

I could never have a friend like Frankie, her hippy dippy ways are too exhausting and would drain the life out of me. Sol too.

Coyote seemed to mature this season, but I cracked up when they were at the café waiting to meet Bud's cousin and talking about having a safe word so if he felt uncomfortable they could leave. After finally deciding on "sugar" when Bud said "pass the sugar" Coyote just passed the sugar.

Hopefully it'll be fun with Sol and Robert living with the ladies but they don't have to live in the same house since they have the outside room Frankie paints in. Also, doesn't Sol and Robert have more than 1 bedroom and bathroom, why would they need to move out of their house during a bathroom/bedroom repair?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm not too familiar with Sam Waterston so does he always shake his head when he talks or is that a choice he's made with Sol's character?

Yes, it was the same on L&O from 1994-2010, so if it’s neurological, at least it’s not getting worse. 

19 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I cracked up when they were at the café waiting to meet Bud's cousin and talking about having a safe word so if he felt uncomfortable they could leave. After finally deciding on "sugar" when Bud said "pass the sugar" Coyote just passed the sugar

I especially liked that we couldn’t tell if Coyote forgot about the safe word, or was he choosing to ignore it. Ambiguity in storytelling on screen doesn’t always work, but sometimes subtlety is best. 

22 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Hopefully it'll be fun with Sol and Robert living with the ladies but they don't have to live in the same house since they have the outside room Frankie paints in.

Wait. What?!? Are you suggesting Frankie give up her art studio?!?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I want to know how he got that money in the couch, it didn't have removable cushions so that means no zippers. It looked like it had one long seat cushion that wasn't removable.

Thank you! I didn’t want to be the first nitpicker on that!  If there was a way to get the money in, there should be a way to get it out that doesn’t involve box cutters!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thank you! I didn’t want to be the first nitpicker on that!  If there was a way to get the money in, there should be a way to get it out that doesn’t involve box cutters!

That didn’t bother me because Nick is not the sort who would do the physical labor himself of putting the money in the couch, and I can actually more readily imagine him hiring a custom upholstery designer to do it, rather than some poorly paid seamstresses who would have put the money in the cushions. 

Edited by shapeshifter
Because it was supposed to be “custom” not “customer”
  • Love 2

My thought when Frankie used her box cutter was Nick was clever to have the money built into the sofa. No one would think to look there.

I liked that Frankie finally got to use some of the amateur sleuthing skills she is always bragging about, but Nick's clue was so obvious Grace and the FBI officers should have figured it out.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That didn’t bother me because Nick is not the sort who would do the physical labor himself of putting the money in the couch, and I can actually more readily imagine him hiring a customer upholstery designer to do it, rather than some poorly paid seamstresses who would have put the money in the cushions. 

Yeah...he’d call his “sofa guy.”

• LOL 4

I thought the couch thing was dumb. When they arrest someone for tax evasion and securities fraud, they impound the premises, search, seize computers, etc. Anyone dropping a hint about a couch could be sure the couch would be up for thorough searching. This season really relied a bit too much on old sitcom tropes that were out of character (Frankie dating two men and lying to both of them), and the whole Bud/Jessica thing.

I also find it disappointing that it now seems to be three shows: Sol and Robert in one corner; the kids in another; and Grace and Frankie's lives. At least putting the four "oldies" in the same house should do away with some of that. I miss seeing the kids and parents interact, particularly Brianna and Frankie, who were great together in earlier seasons.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, wendyg said:

I thought the couch thing was dumb. When they arrest someone for tax evasion and securities fraud, they impound the premises, search, seize computers, etc. Anyone dropping a hint about a couch could be sure the couch would be up for thorough searching. This season really relied a bit too much on old sitcom tropes that were out of character (Frankie dating two men and lying to both of them), and the whole Bud/Jessica thing.

Yeah, all true, but since by this episode they had consistently trotted out classic comedy tropes, I could roll with the IRS leaving the house and catch untouched even though I've watched enough L&O-type shows to know better. I mean, I did a little mental WTF? but quickly got over it.
Plus, it is a comedy starring actors who are familiar with those tropes.