Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Leaving the Station

• Start Topic

What a beautiful, emotional final episode of this series I’ve loved so very much.  Tea Leoni is the best and her chemistry with literally everyone is amazing.  The familiar faces who came to the wedding made me get so teary.  What a stellar cast this show has had.  Hearing Blake sing was just wonderful.  The repartee in the limo on the way to the rehearsal dinner was magic — so realistic for parents with their daughter.  Loved the ending scene and oh, I will miss Madam Secretary dearly.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 23

Though I thought this season didn’t have enough episodes to breath and felt rushed (and the impeachment story was unwelcome and had a rushed ending), it was a beautiful finale. I’ll miss this show

Was that Peter Frampton as the last singer at the wedding?

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

Yep. Bess's fave. And I'm glad that Russell walked away at the end and went back to his wife. And that Conrad performed the wedding; I do remember the days when you could send away to be ordained from an ad in the back of Rolling Stone!

The only return appearance I missed was Bebe Neuwirth. I wish they'd been able to talk her back so we could see Nadine once more. 

A lovely ending to a show I will miss.

And bravo and brava to the people here who have illuminated my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Though I thought this season didn’t have enough episodes to breath and felt rushed (and the impeachment story was unwelcome and had a rushed ending), it was a beautiful finale. I’ll miss this show

That was indeed Peter Frampton.  

Ah yes, I knew someone key was missing.  Nadine! 

Who played Zach, Mike B’s son?  Some very funny lines said by Russell and Mike B about Zach. 

Got a kick out of:  Tyne and Tim’s dialogue together — well-done.  Also Bess and the soccer players and flubbing her takes.  

Bess looked lovely at the wedding.  Henry choking up at the reception and whispering just to Stevie — perfect. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6

Okay, that was a good episode.

One thing, though - I was surprised that during the dancing scene, they didn't do little flashes to stuff like Matt & Daisy having a bunch of kids and dogs running around, Bess & Henry getting dogpiled by grandkids, etc.

• Love 2

Mike B. pimping out his son?  Jason just generally being Jason?  Horrible to the end, the both of them.

Otherwise, this was nice.  I wish FGOTUS had cut out the Aquinas pontificating and just focused on the couple, but Henry will always Henry.  Stevie's dress was beautiful, and Blake's jacket was faaaaaabulous.  Nice to see most of the returnees (and, Noodle, you stay far away from anything with 50% of Mike B.'s DNA!!), glad Russell went back to Carol and Jay took over, love the push for the ERA.  I wish nine-tenths of this season hadn't been spent on a fatuous impeachment storyline, but this was a nice way to end the series.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I couldn't figure out why Stevie was in a tiny thin dress, but Bess was wrapped up in a giant blanket looking thing during the ceremony. 

She was trying to hide all the flowers on the top of her dress.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

As soon as "Miss Jane Pittman" was led into the Oval Office, there were bound to be sparks; you don't hire Cicely Tyson just to play a demure and silent old woman.

1 hour ago, cameron said:

I thought that Bess's dress was hideous.  At first I thought she was wearing a robe before getting dressed for the wedding.

It looked as if the dress was made from old discarded curtains from their summer home. Thankfully she found an unused tarp to wrap around her and hide that thing.

Dimitri is depicted as such a sunny and naive young thing, despite everything that happened to him, that he should find a job far from politics or his new family or else he will  be crushed by more seasoned and ruthless colleagues.

Was that Russell's secratary at the wedding with a hairdo that looked liked chocolate fondant was piped on her head in short ribbons?

Aside of getting a brother-sister scene out of it, why bother casting Tyne Daly in a role that turned out ot be rather unmemorable; any actress could have served to make the point that some women may be their gender's worst ennemies?

I liked that they did not resolve the ERA plotline and left it open as the next great fight for this administration; it would have been too easy to wrap it up in nice silk paper with silver bows on top.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cameron said:

I thought that Bess's dress was hideous.  At first I thought she was wearing a robe before getting dressed for the wedding.

Maybe the problem is that Bess McCord has aged, but Tea Leoni (apparently) hasn't. I thought her outfit was appropriate for Bess.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Maybe the problem is that Bess McCord has aged, but Tea Leoni (apparently) hasn't. I thought her outfit was appropriate for Bess.

I'm older than Bess and wouldn't ever be caught in that dress.  Thought it was beyond frumpy and older people don't have to look frumpy.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 4

Mike B had some humorous lines in this episode (liked the side-five between him and Bess as they celebrated an achievement).

• "You've met my four sisters, you know my triggers."
  • "Were you also thinking about mood rings and Super Tramp?"
  • "Go get in good with the middle one. I want in to this family."

Tyne looked maaarvelous.

Miss Jane Pittman Flo: But thanks for the pen. (C Tyson is catching up in age with MJP!)

Russell's wife saying, "I'm not the person you tell your day to anymore" kinda hit me as it did Russell. 

Russell: For God's sake, there's a strip joint down the street!

St. Thomas Aquinas will personally greet Henry at the Pearly Gates.

Edited by mojito
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Amazing finale to an amazing show. Can't believe it's been 5 years. This has been one of the rare shows I look forward to watching every week without fail. What's next to replace this for you guys? I feel kindof lost. 

• Love 10

By the way, the whistle stop tour, although cute, would have been mostly useless.  People don't vote to ratify amendments; legislatures do.  And, if experience holds, most people don't write their state legislators in support (or opposition) of any issue.  I hardly think that the President would have the time to take an extended train trip to states that opposed the Amendment.

Sorry, but I fast forwarded through much of the show.  I don't really go for tv that wraps itself around a will-it-or-won't-it-happen wedding for the lovely couple, etc.  A bit to Hallmark for my taste, my everyone looks for their own thing. 

"By the power vested in me by an ad in the back of Rolling Stone magazine..."

Bess’s mother of the bride dress was hideous. That blanket-like wrap, while covering the dress, was just another dimension of ugliness.  But Stevie and Noodle looked great. 
Was great to see the gang back together.  How can Daisy afford to take months off?  I must have missed the explanation of her being Independently wealthy.  
Don’t they have the farm anymore?  That’s where the wedding should have been. 
I thought this final season did not measure up to the others.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

What a beautiful, emotional final episode of this series I’ve loved so very much.  Tea Leoni is the best and her chemistry with literally everyone is amazing.  The familiar faces who came to the wedding made me get so teary.  What a stellar cast this show has had.  Hearing Blake sing was just wonderful.  The repartee in the limo on the way to the rehearsal dinner was magic — so realistic for parents with their daughter.  Loved the ending scene and oh, I will miss Madam Secretary dearly.  

Couldn't agree more!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cameron said:

I'm older than Bess and wouldn't ever be caught in that dress.  Thought it was beyond frumpy and older people don't have to look frumpy.

No one of any age should ever be caught in that dress. It was just plain bad. It was honestly the worst thing they've ever put her in, and I'm including the neckties they've put her in this season. Which, what the hell? She's never worn a tie, but now that she's President, she's wearing one? I thought it was cute the first time, but then it just started to annoy me. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, DanaK said:

From what I read, they were lucky to get eight episodes at all...CBS wanted to end it last season but cooler heads prevailed and they gave them a final season but only ten episodes. It was nice that they ended it with all the gang back for Stevie's wedding. I had hoped see Bebe Neuwirth (Nadine Tolliver) return for the wedding scenes but, alas, it wasn't to be. And yes...that was Peter Frampton! 

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SpyGuy said:

Amazing finale to an amazing show. Can't believe it's been 5 years. This has been one of the rare shows I look forward to watching every week without fail. What's next to replace this for you guys? I feel kindof lost. 

I know! I feel the same way! I guess I will start watching "The Crown" on Netflix and "Homeland" on Showtime when it starts back up in February. I can't imagine what CBS will put in Madame Secretary's place on Sunday nights...it's a tough spot during football season.

• Love 1

Wait...  What?  This was the series finale?  I thought it was just the fall finale?  I'm not ready....I wasn't prepared...  What the hell?

Thank you for identifying the actress playing the 19th Amendment baby.  I knew she was someone I should know, because she walked in with presence.  Now that y'all say Cicely Tyson I am nodding my head thinking "of course she was!"  Perfect casting.

I loved all the callbacks, from getting the old gang (minus Nadine) together, to Peter Frampton, to the Thomas Aquinas joke.  Blake singing, Noodle making the wedding dress...Tyne Daly!

2 hours ago, mojito said:

Russell's wife saying, "I'm not the person you tell your day to anymore" kinda hit me as it did Russell.

OMG.  That line, its delivery, and watching it hit home gave me all the feels.  And then we see that relationship mirrored in Stevie and Dmitri's new life together, with Stevie volunteering to turn her wedding into a political arena, and completely ignoring Dmitri in favor of lobbying around.  Did we even see Dmitri at all during the reception?

I snort!laughed at the "By the powers vested in me by an ad in the back of Rolling Stone Magazine, I now pronounce you..."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojito said:

St. Thomas Aquinas will personally greet Henry at the Pearly Gates.

For sure. 
I was dozing off through this episode and should rewatch, but I hate the idea that Stevie married Dmitri, for so many reasons. 
But I’m glad I caught this line:

26 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

"By the powers vested in me by an ad in the back of Rolling Stone Magazine,

39 minutes ago, kicksave said:

From what I read, they were lucky to get eight episodes at all...CBS wanted to end it last season but cooler heads prevailed and they gave them a final season but only eight episodes. It was nice that they ended it with all the gang back for Stevie's wedding. I had hoped see Bebe Neuwirth (Nadine Tolliver) return for the wedding scenes but, alas, it wasn't to be. And yes...that was Peter Frampton! 

That doesn't surprise me given they were only given 10 episodes instead of 22. Sometimes CBS does a decent job allowing shows a final season to say goodbye (The Good Wife), but usually you don't even know when a season ends that CBS has decided to cancel it (Scorpion, Two Broke Girls). At least MS had a final season, even if it was short. I just wish they hadn't decided to go down the Impeachment route. It ended up being wrapped up too quickly and easily

And honestly, ending last season probably would have been fine, as Bess was preparing to run for President. An abbreviated last season that was weighed down by an Impeachment story where Bess was a new President probably didn't need to be told, especially for a very abbreviated last season

36 minutes ago, kicksave said:

I know! I feel the same way! I guess I will start watching "The Crown" on Netflix and "Homeland" on Showtime when it starts back up in February. I can't imagine what CBS will put in Madame Secretary's place on Sunday nights...it's a tough spot during football season.

NCIS: New Orleans will get the spot come mid-season (starting Feb 16). It's probably the worst spot for a CBS show, too often being pushed late. That spot has one of the worst ratings for CBS

Edited by DanaK

...meant to say that Conrad is able to indulge his inner hippie post-presidency. Long hair, releasing an album, performing weddings. And probably being a helluva leader for UNICEF. He was one of my favorite TV presidents.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

That doesn't surprise me given they were only given 10 episodes instead of 22. Sometimes CBS does a decent job allowing shows a final season to say goodbye (The Good Wife), but usually you don't even know when a season ends that CBS has decided to cancel it (Scorpion, Two Broke Girls). At least MS had a final season, even if it was short. I just wish they hadn't decided to go down the Impeachment route. It ended up being wrapped up too quickly and easily

Oh man, Scorpion - that was a show. I watched seasons 2 & 3 of that show every Friday because that was the day after I took my chemo pills - and that was not a show you needed to pay attention to. That show was like a live action Saturday Morning cartoon and it was delightfully bonkers.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the finale so much that I watched it twice.  I think they did a great job of wrapping things up.  I was always a fan of Stevie & Dmitri, so I am thrilled that he's the one she married.   I will sorely miss this show.

• Love 4

Nice enough ending for this show.  I loved Stevie's wedding dress and hated Bess' mother of the bride dress.   I know that Bess was always presented to us as a woman who thought nothing of fashion but jeez - you have this beautiful actress, Tea Leoni, who could probably wear a sack and look good, and even she couldn't save that awful dress they put her in.  At some point you begin to wonder if she pissed off somebody in wardrobe in this show.   Other than the various NCIS shows which look as if they have a makeup/hair/wardrobe budge of $25, I can't recall an actress so poorly dressed on a tv show.  

I had to snigger at Dimitri's speech about how much Stevie's family has done for him - I guess the young groom has a short and selective memory or a taste for punishment.   Good to see he got the girl at the end.  

And too bad Nadine didn't make it to the wedding!  Makes you wonder what the story was - even if Bebe Neuwirth was in a play, actors bug out of plays all the time (that's what understudies are for), and from what the guy who plays Blake said at the Thanksgiving Day parade interview, the show is filmed in New York, which isn't all that far from Philadelphia.   Whatever.  

If it's true about NCIS New Orleans being moved to this time slot, that's the kiss of death for that show.  Seems CBS moves shows that are on their last legs or doomed to cancellation to that time slot.   Guess it then becomes a good excuse to axe the show.     

• Love 2
18 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And too bad Nadine didn't make it to the wedding!  Makes you wonder what the story was - even if Bebe Neuwirth was in a play, actors bug out of plays all the time (that's what understudies are for), and from what the guy who plays Blake said at the Thanksgiving Day parade interview, the show is filmed in New York, which isn't all that far from Philadelphia.   Whatever. 

I googled the play and I don't think there is more to the story. She was headlining a four-actor play that ran from Oct 18 to Nov 10. Filming for the last episode was from Oct 31 to Nov 13 (and the outdoor wedding scene was filmed on either Nov 4 or 5).

A four-actor play that one headlines does not sound like a play where you let your understudy take over. And since they filmed the outdoor scene outside of NYC, I'm assuming they would have needed her for two shooting days, so it doesn't sound like they had any chance of working something out schedule wise. (Even if they were shooting all of the wedding scene with the guest stars on one day, I don't think the show had much flexibility since it was the last episode of the last season).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I had to snigger at Dimitri's speech about how much Stevie's family has done for him - I guess the young groom has a short and selective memory or a taste for punishment.   Good to see he got the girl at the end.

When he said "everything your family has done for me", I thought "and to you!"

Still, it's nice he got a happy ever after with a family. As he said, he never would have expected to. He entered the military at a young age, and while he hasn't really talked about it, it's clear his and Talia's parents are not alive.

Speaking of, Talia wasn't in evidence at the wedding. And Kat Sandoval hasn't even been mentioned this whole season, I missed her.

5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I googled the play and I don't think there is more to the story. She was headlining a four-actor play that ran from Oct 18 to Nov 10. Filming for the last episode was from Oct 31 to Nov 13 (and the outdoor wedding scene was filmed on either Nov 4 or 5).

A four-actor play that one headlines does not sound like a play where you let your understudy take over. And since they filmed the outdoor scene outside of NYC, I'm assuming they would have needed her for two shooting days, so it doesn't sound like they had any chance of working something out schedule wise. (Even if they were shooting all of the wedding scene with the guest stars on one day, I don't think the show had much flexibility since it was the last episode of the last season).

This^ all makes sense, but I wish they could have had her read a 30 second FaceTime line about how she had only 30 seconds etc.

42 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:
23 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

When he said "everything your family has done for me", I thought "and to you!"

So said we all!!! Honestly. Did the writers think the audience had amnesia? Or maybe it was new writers who didn't know any better???? Or maybe it was an inside joke? 

42 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Still, it's nice he got a happy ever after with a family. As he said, he never would have expected to.

Hrmph. Sooo unlikely given the backstory. They really should have at least thrown in a line about it being a "fairy tale wedding" to acknowledge that improbability. Sheesh. 

ETA: Okay, so they DID have these lines at the beginning of the episode:

Wow. - Yeah. I mean the pictures don't do it justice. - It's like a fairy tale. - I know. How did you guys find this place? 

Thank you.

I do remember my love for the show. I never minded Dr. Arm Candy Spy Daddy Jack of All Trades stories too much. But somewhere along the line my love started to wane (probably around Nadine's departure? definitely all stories about Dmitri -- why did they have to do all the torture crap???), so I'm glad it's over now.

I'll miss MS/POTUS Bess. *sigh* And Russell and Blake . . . and some Scarecrow whose name eludes me now.

Now I just need to slog through the last few episodes of Mr. Robot. Heh. 

</end_rants>

Edited by shapeshifter

They could have shot a brief scene wherever Bebe Neuwirth is. Just her and some extras, and she says a line to someone off screen. They could cut that into the episode to make it look as if she was at the reception. This sort of thing was discussed a lot when there was a wedding on ER.

• Love 1

I love Téa Leoni, and look forward to what ever her next project is, but MS one is done now.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say it was overdone. And I'm not sticking around to scrape this particular pot for the bun-bun, because the last season or two didn't taste all that great.

Un-following.....

1 hour ago, Driad said:

They could have shot a brief scene wherever Bebe Neuwirth is. Just her and some extras, and she says a line to someone off screen. They could cut that into the episode to make it look as if she was at the reception. This sort of thing was discussed a lot when there was a wedding on ER.

That would have cost a fortune even assuming she was willing. Nadine left some time ago and may well not have been in touch. Same for Kat. Just because you work together doesn't mean you're friends.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, bobalina said:

I meant that the character may not be close to the McCords and might not be asked. Never that Bebe Neuwirth would ever not be asked.

Ah, okay. I thought you meant Bebe Neuwirth because she left the show early and one never knows regardless of what is publicly said.  🙂

As far as Nadine is concerned, they kept in touch. In S5 (I believe "The New Normal"), the NASA administrator asks Bess if she's heard from Nadine and Bess mentions that she has and is doing good.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, Driad said:

Way too expensive