Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Suicidy said:

Baron Shaughnessy’s hip surgery may have created some short term plotting problems for the writers.

The writers have been complete shit with timing and dropping plots even without any interruptions so I don’t think we can blame him being out for surgery.

I’m behind so I just saw Friday’s episode.  God, I could barely watch the Carly/Drew scenes. So cringe the way they were smiling at each other like dopes.  I felt so embarrassed for them.  On the other hand, I really enjoyed all the Sonny/Nina scenes.

Eh, I don’t think I’m feeling Anna and Valentin anymore.  I liked her with Finn.  And I am DEFINITELY not feeling Brooklyn and Chase anymore.  Is he going to get suspended for another infinity now that he punched Linc?  Whatever, I don’t care.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

No, especially since the mystery who wrote the oped was solved within two segments, by Sonny and Ms. Wu.

Sam, who told Mac that she would handle it, was useless.  And I hated Carly in an ELQ had when earlier in the episode she told the Quartermaine's that they had no honour. The pro-Quartermaine speech came from Olivia when it should have been Monica.

Big budget for the baseball caps. Laura, Finn, Britt, Pip and Violet in a GH cap (I guess Jon Lindstrom refused to wear one), Mac, Felicia, Chase and Robert  in PCPD caps, Scott and Liesl in Kelly's caps,  Lucy in Deception,   Sonny alone in Corinthos Coffee,   Alexis and Sam in Invader, Portia crossing over to join Curtis in Savoy caps

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sam, who told Mac that she would handle it, was useless. 

Sam hasn't been allowed to do her PI job in like 10 years.

Sam was useless. Curtis was useless. And Carly was there to do what she does best, sneer at someone for something they may or may not have done. 

JZ still looks bad and the flashback did her infinity no favors.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Sam hasn't been allowed to do her PI job in like 10 years.

Sam was useless. Curtis was useless. And Carly was there to do what she does best, sneer at someone for something they may or may not have done. 

JZ still looks bad and the flashback did her infinity no favors.

I agree with all of this. Especially JZ which is unfortunate she didn't need all that work done. She was already a beautiful woman looked like a young Susan Sarandon back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I appreciated that they went way back with the flashbacks especially a young Scotty/Laura(although I was curious why they did that tbh since this show never seems to have them as an actual item for long periods of time)  As well as Bobbie/Laura.

I don't think you can encapsulate Laura's history in just one hour.  She probably deserves a whole week tbh. We needed to see her and Robert, Lesley, her kids (even though her grandkids are superior). Monica(although LC couldn't do it at that time) list goes on.

While I hated Luke and L&L him not being referenced was glaring to say the least.

I appreciated the effort had its moments but it could've been way better.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I appreciated that they went way back with the flashbacks especially a young Scotty/Laura(although I was curious why they did that tbh since this show never seems to have them as an actual item for long periods of time)  As well as Bobbie/Laura.

I don't think you can encapsulate Laura's history in just one hour.  She probably deserves a whole week tbh. We needed to see her and Robert, Lesley, her kids (even though her grandkids are superior). Monica(although LC couldn't do it at that time) list goes on.

While I hated Luke and L&L him not being referenced was glaring to say the least.

I appreciated the effort had its moments but it could've been way better.

The umbrella plot of Laura being “targeted” was dumb, but some individual pieces were good, especially the ladies getting a manicure and reacting to Scotty asking Liesel to marry him and Laura taking to Cyrus and especially his reaction to her forgiving him

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:
3 hours ago, Blackie said:

BTW did I miss something or was that random that Sonny and Violet at the hospital.

Violet was there because she got into  patch of poison oak camping. Sonny was there because he overdid it boxing.

No I meant did I miss this on the last show ? Today when the show started I thought I had actually missed an episode yesterday even though people said it was pre empted. It just seemed random that today's show started in the hospital and that this big meeting of the "minds" (Sam excluded) was at the hospital. How about a meet room at the metro court, then at least Carly would have has a reason to be there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, DanaK said:

The umbrella plot of Laura being “targeted” was dumb, but some individual pieces were good, especially the ladies getting a manicure and reacting to Scotty asking Liesel to marry him and Laura taking to Cyrus and especially his reaction to her forgiving him

It was they should've come up with something better. I thought the 10,000th episode was better where Luke/Scotty were trapped in an elevator with a woman about to go into labor. Bobbie/Laura were coaching them from the other side etc.

• Love 2

Not a bad episode today but I would have liked more flashbacks. and while I actually like violet, I fail to see why she’s in every scene and Elizabeth’s boys aren’t. 

I did chuckle at Cyrus when Laura abruptly said ‘I forgive you.’ And Scott walking into the salon only to be greeted by all of his exes lol!

But as much as I love Laura, she really is an awful mayor and the PCPD is totally inept. Of course that predates her time as mayor but still…

• Like 1
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I honestly thought we were going to call back to Spencer ensuring Laura won the mayor's race but I think the writers forgot about that.

Given the current RL situation, there isn’t a snowball’s hence in hell GH will ever revisit that storyline.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I'm not sure which was more hilarious, the idea that Bobby is scoring runs on the GH softball team, or that Laura referred to Charlie's as a "mom and pop business" at the heart of Port Charles. I guess she forgets it was owned by two mobsters (one of which was murdered) before it was gifted to Phyllis. 

Laura should be recalled! She won the election illegally, spent months of her term hiding in a secret safe house from her mobster brother, and she is friendly with Sonny the mobster.

I do think the show should have ended with Laura getting a call that Lulu woke up, even if it was just for a second to give hope for the future.  

• Like 1
  • Love 9
38 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's probably bad news that my main reaction to the Laura/anniversary episode is that I really, really, reeeeaaallly hate Carly.

That's my reaction every single episode she's in. She's obnoxious and exhausting.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 9
(edited)

Carly storming into the Q mansion acting like a social justice warrior can kiss my ass.  What the fuck is wrong with this show that they write her lines accusing everyone else of evil doings without ever acknowledging her own?  God, she sucks.

ETA: Laura really shouldn’t be in politics if one op-Ed letter and a recall petition get her weepy and clutching her pearls.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I honestly thought we were going to call back to Spencer ensuring Laura won the mayor's race but I think the writers forgot about that.

Yes. Like the show wants the recall to happen so that Laura wins the office legitimately, erasing the cheating win. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As a side note, I was a little bummed when I saw that the hearings were on at 3 p.m. today (Thursday), because I thought, "Oh well, another missed episode..." Until I remembered GH is on at 2 EST now, and has been for years!  

I can excuse myself a little because I rarely watch it live these days, but honest to God it's amazing how ingrained "the way things used to be" can be when it comes to things that have been part of your daily life since forever. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I can excuse myself a little because I rarely watch it live these days, but honest to God it's amazing how ingrained "the way things used to be" can be when it comes to things that have been part of your daily life since forever. 

So true!!  It’s still on at 3pm in my mind…I used to run home from school to watch, before I got fancy and started recording it on my vhs. I don’t watch anything live anymore but I still get a little surprised when I see it’s on at 2 now, ha!

• Wink 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Scott walking into the salon only to be greeted by all of his exes lol!

That was one of the best parts of the episode for me, tbh. I loved Scott's reaction. For once Kin didn't overdo it.

Mayor is another role like police commissioner where the character can't win, so I don't blame Laura for being a crappy mayor. The deck will always be stacked against her until the show decides that maybe a mob-forward show has had its day and it's time to revamp the show. Spoiler: This will never happen.

I think today's ep will be preempted by the hearings again no matter what time you watch it. When something is scheduled like this, they don't air the show in one market and not the rest of the country. (Local preemptions are the exception.)

Edited by dubbel zout
grammar, good lord
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:
15 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Scott walking into the salon only to be greeted by all of his exes lol!

That was one of the best parts of the episode for me, tbh. I loved Scott's reaction. For once Kin didn't overdo it.

That scene was really fun--not just Kin's reaction, but KG's face as Scotty was proposing and then her "no," KW's line about how romantic it was, LH helping Kin up--what a charming, well-done scene!  Almost washed away the vileness of Carly wearing an ELQ hat.

• Love 11
On 6/14/2022 at 6:05 PM, Runningwild said:

Regarding the start time of the show: I also used to watch after school. Also watched Dark Shadows. You are all so aware of things. Do you think moving the start time back to 3 might increase the younger audience or are they a list cause for this medium?  

• Love 2

When GH was moved to 2:00, one of my first thoughts was that they were going to lose the afterschool audience. (Heck --  I was a teacher, and back in the day, there were Fridays that I skipped happy hour in order to see what was happening on GH.) 

But I realized that kids are so plugged in now, that -- if they're even watching -- the time the show airs probably doesn't even matter any more. There are so many ways to see what you want whenever you want.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, rur said:

When GH was moved to 2:00, one of my first thoughts was that they were going to lose the afterschool audience. (Heck --  I was a teacher, and back in the day, there were Fridays that I skipped happy hour in order to see what was happening on GH.) 

But I realized that kids are so plugged in now, that -- if they're even watching -- the time the show airs probably doesn't even matter any more. There are so many ways to see what you want whenever you want.

my whole Grade 12 year I planned so I had spares at the end of day so I could go home and watch Another World, but I think that is when I go hooked on Frisco and Felicia too.

• Love 2

I needed to make a dentist appointment after yesterday’s show. I enjoyed the few flashbacks, but that was unbelievably saccharine, especially at the end. I expected an episode about Laura, instead I got “It’s a Wonderful Port Charles”. Hee haw. 🙄

• Like 3
(edited)

Finally watched the Very Special Episode and it was ok. I would have liked more flashbacks, I love them. Babies, indeed. Genie looked really good. JZ didn’t look too bad either, all the facial work seems to have settled although it’s now frozen solid.  The flashbacks show they both never evolved from the 80’s school or overacting though.  Laura always seems she’s two seconds away from hysterically crying. 

Michael never misses an opportunity to be an asshole. I’m not understanding why Carly and Sam were involved. Ditto Maxie visiting Liz, what was up with that?  She said she was there in Lulu’s place but I don’t remember Liz and Lulu being particularly close.  The softball teams were cute, it was so silly everyone wearing their associated hats.

Cyrus was the best part of the episode. Great scenes between him and Laura. And as far as the op-ed well…it wasn’t wrong. She is a shitty mayor, acting all superior to some while at the same time propping her criminals of choice.  Truth hurts. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

d. I expected an episode about Laura, instead I got “It’s a Wonderful Port Charles”. Hee haw. 🙄

I felt exactly the same!  It also made me think of It’s a Wonderful Life at the end.  And yeah, more flashbacks should have been a must.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Cyrus was the best part of the episode. Great scenes between him and Laura. And as far as the op-ed well…it wasn’t wrong. She is a shitty mayor, acting all superior to some while at the same time propping her criminals of choice.  Truth hurts. 

that was the more hilarious thing bout it. and then her response is basically. well whatever, PC forever. let's party - vs reflecting on what was being said. She lets a lot of crap go by because of her friendship with Sonny. Jordan lets a lot of crap go and wants to have relationships with Sonny. (Mac never did. bless that man). she's more focused on bringing down Victor vs running the town. this woulda been a great time for her to realize that yeah being mayor wasn't for her. 

I will say it does irk me that Laura still mocks Cyrus for finding God (even though it seems that Cyrus is acting like one of those people who would find themselves with a butt tonne of sister wives and start a cult). like the show bends over backwards to have Sonny kissing his prayer beads and praying and we all know how murderous he is. but Cyrus can't find religion? (and I love how he basically said that he wasn't perfect so yeah sometimes he acts out in anger, but it doesn't change the fact that he did find religion so stuff it Laura LOL).

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I will say it does irk me that Laura still mocks Cyrus for finding God

It's a cliché—the prisoner finds God and gets early release (or whatever) only to go back to a life of crime. Sonny's a hypocrite about religion, definitely, but at least he was raised in the faith he's blaspheming.

• Like 5
On 6/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, DanaK said:

I can’t understand why Laura kicked Mac out of that group meeting but not Robert. He is the DA after all and the meeting was political not criminal

That made zero sense to me as well.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Because the District Attorney is a political job-one is elected as the DA. It’s the ADAs who apply for the job to work in the DA’s office.

Probably an unpopular opinion (I don’t care), but there should have been clips with LUKE. He was a HUGE part of Laura’s life, as well as Lucky and Lulu-you know, her children.

But Frank is a passive aggressive cheap ass bastard.

The accountant in me would love to look at the budget for this show and see where money is allocated.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Carly storming into the Q mansion acting like a social justice warrior can kiss my ass.  What the fuck is wrong with this show that they write her lines accusing everyone else of evil doings without ever acknowledging her own?  God, she sucks.

ETA: Laura really shouldn’t be in politics if one op-Ed letter and a recall petition get her weepy and clutching her pearls.

Turning Carly into a fanatical SJW would be frightening.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

(And hopefully stays that way.) Unless they can convince Julie Berman to return.

I would prefer Lulu in a coma as well myself however it would be nice to reference her existence for this episode at least.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree with all of this. Especially JZ which is unfortunate she didn't need all that work done. She was already a beautiful woman looked like a young Susan Sarandon back in the day.

As a man, I would prefer seeing a wrinkle or two over the look she has.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/22/2022 at 2:57 PM, Daisy said:

Im not known for being tactful, but i can do it on a special occasions." 

Yeah, talk about  self awareness.😒

I don't know about anyone else, but  absolutely loathe Felicia. She's so fucking chipper all the time.  It drives me crazy.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

The flashbacks show they both never evolved from the 80’s school or overacting though.  Laura always seems she’s two seconds away from hysterically crying. 

I have only felt that in this last stint of Laura scenes she has evolved into more contemporary style of soap acting. Maybe because she has to interact with the youngsters (?). JZ's acting is frozen in time (with her face muscles).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Yeah, talk about  self awareness.😒

I don't know about anyone else, but  absolutely loathe Felicia. She's so fucking chipper all the time.  It drives me crazy.

Kristina Wagner has probably  started a short leave of absence, so you might not see much of her soon.  For a little while, anyway.

• Sad 6
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Suicidy said:

The accountant in me would love to look at the budget for this show and see where money is allocated.  

Look how they handled the “montage” in remembrance of Stuart Damon. 10 seconds of muted clips.

Cheap Bastard.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Turning Carly into a fanatical SJW would be frightening.

And out of character. Carly has never cared about justice or equality, only about her tribe getting the best of everything.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

She's so fucking chipper all the time.  It drives me crazy.

Ha!  Well I like her but I understand what you mean. Her facial expressions were so goofy at the salon. And that baby voice is just terrible. 

• Like 1

Dante: rage mcragerson about Britt and how it's crazy she's a doctor, and her parents are like scummy bad people too!*

Me: who is your father again? oh yeah right. so shut up.

Why is the shareholder meeting in the living room?  Come on

So many dipsticks today. blegh

Please let Carly be charged with insider trading. omg Carly sold her half of the metrocourt? PLEASE. PLEASE. let this burn in her face. especially how she is all "Ill always bet on Michael. let this crash. And let Nina buy the Hotel. please

Carly. don't you think AVERY'S MOTHER want to take HER DAUGHTER on vacation instead of letting you take her, you dipstick?

Willow's convenientious is rearing its ugly head.

why are you wasting my time with Linc and CLQ's stupidness.

I can't help but laugh. Drew should not have any say in regards of how the proxies vote - because he's the major benefactor of how they vote. They should have contacted this Pascal guy told them how they voted and move in. Like. no freaking way the guy who benefits the most is going to make the proxies say go his way. COME ON. 

Ned, you are my hero.  
hahaha Michael has a temper tantum lol
YAAAYY. YAAAAYYYYYYYY. YAAAAAYYYYYYY

"About that merger with Aurora Media. It. Is. Not. Happening. " Val. you have never been more sexy to me than you are right at this moment. and now... Carly, Michael and Drew are screwed. merry christmas to meeee

*this doesn't mean that Dante doesnt have a right to be mad at Britt forever. but like you can't be all Britt and her family is the evul, without taking a serious look at your own, you dumbo.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 12

I think this has been a good week for the show. Today even pulled me away from my solitaire game.  The pacing is still terrible, especially the ELQ stuff, but at least they pulled it together in the end.

Go Lucy! Go Valentin!

If Olivia is part-owner of the Metro Court, doesn't Carly have to at least inform her before selling her shares?

Nice tease that Carly is going to lose her share of the Metro Court but I'm sure that Michael and Sonny between them will bail her out. I hope this isn't the start of a CarSon reconciliation because I've been enjoying the new Sonny. Well, at least more than the old one.

BLQ/Chase/Linc is a complete waste of time.  And if Chase has so little control of himself, maybe he really shouldn't be in the police department.  (Hint: beating up people for Brook Lynn is not romantic.) Why doesn't she just write more songs that Linc doesn't own?

Ugh, there goes Willow fainting. I don't care. There she is looking daggers at Ned. I care even less.

Why do they need to tie Cody to Britt via Faison? Isn't making him Dante's boyhood friend enough? How about making him charismatic instead?

17 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Why is the shareholder meeting in the living room?  Come on

With the Quartermaines at the helm, it seems like a Mickey Mouse operation. Shouldn't they have had the merger vote before voting to oust Valentin? That way Drew would have had more votes and hence more power to oust Valentin.

How did Drew get all the family proxies that Valentin had last vote?

• Like 1
  • Love 1