Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Who's been refilling Marshall's medications all these years? The original doctor made the original diagnosis and gave him the original prescription but then what? Can you drop off a prescrition at the local drug store in 1990 with 147 refills? You never need to see another doctor at any time for a checkup and an update on your meds? Don't people have yearly or bi-yearly physicals where all of those things get discussed? If Marshall hasn't seen a doctor in 37 years, then isn't it his fault for not following up ?  None of this makes any sense.

I don’t think it’s impossible that decades ago a doctor wouldn’t question the diagnosis and refill the prescription. It also wouldn’t surprise me that with him being a musician, he managed to score pills. And given how ashamed he felt about having the disease, he probably never asked a doctor to recheck the diagnosis. And if he said he never saw another doctor about it, which I don’t recall, that wouldn’t surprise me either. If so, he either scored pills illegally or missed doses but didn’t think to check why he didn’t have episodes

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, jsbt said:

Because FV did not want to admit defeat after hiring not one but two of another network's stars, and because he doesn't like changing his canvas or ceding to fan pressure.

Recalling now an interview I read during the ‘90s heyday of the Brenda/Sonny/Jax triangle. GH producer or writer, cannot recall which, said you try to please most of the fans, but you cannot please them all, referencing the decision to put Brenda with Sonny at that point. I was a Jax fan then so I fell in the all part. 

Frank’s a stubborn man, that is for sure. I also think some of what he does is for practical reasons. Where’s Easton going to go willingly? Or Duell? Changing up the canvas is risky because as we have seen with many over the years those with other prospects very often head for the exit… You can’t build around people who will bounce or be gone for significant amounts of time. Not criticizing the actors who do it by way as it’s their careers and ambitions, but it does give the show problems. It just is what it is. 

What I think Frank should do is find more Harringtons, who I do like as Jagger ;-) for roles like Michael. Actors of a certain age with prime time abilities who didn’t get lucky or lucky enough in the gotta get it years. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Based on this show's history, I get why people would jump to the worst possible conclusions about Nina's future direction, but it was apparently the new writer's first day. It feels like jumping the gun and making assumptions about what the new writers have planned for her based on one day. I'm also unsure why people keep saying she has no ties to canvas or friends. She's shared quite a few scenes with Ava recently. They're friends. She may not have had scenes with them in a while, but she's friends with Curtis, and Maxie is her friend/family. And, of course, there's Willow. I'm curious if the new writers will do anything new with that angle because the previous writers handled it as poorly as possible. 

On 3/16/2024 at 7:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t Alexis and Diane partners in their own firm before Alexis was disbarred? So Diane’s “offer” just made me go 😒😒😒😒. Then again, whoever wrote that didn’t bother to research or Caroline and Nancy didn’t let them know that hey! Diane and Alexis used to have their own practice!

I don't recall Alexis and Diane having a law firm together (there was a time before Alexis got disbarred that I wasn't watching regularly, so maybe it happened then.) 

• Like 3

I could swear the last person who joined Diane's firm was either Elizabeth Hendrickson's pointless character or Claire Walsh from the late 2000s who tried to get both Sonny and Lucky to give her a baby. Not long after that Claire disappeared into the Black Hills Forest like those kids from the Blair Witch Project.

• LOL 5
(edited)

I always want the unconscious person to wake up and tell the person talking to them to stop yammering and let them get some rest, LOL. Or, if the person talking is spilling secrets, the sleeper tells all. Hee. 

I can get behind Nina as the town shit-stirrer, especially when her facts are true and they're aimed at Joss.

Nina's desperation for Sonny is gross.

"It's just you and I here." Oh, Diane. You should know better. (And as a writer herself, so should Carolyn Hennesy. I am doubly disappointed.)

I'm confused: I thought the first time Marshall was diagnosed with anything was after he was arrested at the civil rights protest. And once he learned he was supposedly schizophrenic, that label stuck for decades. When did he seek help for his anxiety before coming to Port Charles? And wasn't that the first time he seriously started wondering about the diagnosis? (Before that, it seemed to me that he didn't want to examine things too closely.)

They wrapped up this story very quickly. Not that I'm complaining, but I find it a bit facile for Marshall to say we're all humans, and he's going to be a good Christian and forgive the poor shrink who misdiagnosed him.

LOL at Joss being shocked and angry that Dex might have gone through with killing Cyrus after being hired as a hit man for Sonny. I can't take this level of stupidity. Does this breakup mean Dex is on his way out? Fingers crossed!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 5
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL at Joss being shocked and angry that Dex might have gone through with killing Cyrus after being hired as a hit man for Sonny.

Joss exudes big "'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party" energy. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
(edited)

Joss can miss me with her pearl clutching over Dex. Girl, did you think he was going to stop at beating up guys? Apparently his murdering past didn't matter as long as he was working for Michael and Carly, but it's all oh noes now!

Also, the hypocrisy of being okay with Jason's murdering ways but the wailing over Dex? A bit much, dumbass. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

the hypocrisy of being okay with Jason's murdering ways but the wailing over Dex?

But, but, but…Jason only kills people when there are guns involved. Dex was going to kill a poor, defenseless sick old man! The horror! Even after he told her that it was him or Cyrus, she still was all OMG a HOW COULD YOU??????? 🙄 and then she had the balls to go crying to Trina, who’s boyfriend is ‘dead’ and CAN’T come back? Self centered much?

still not a fan of Hat Man but the scenes with Kevin were well done. Now maybe Hat Man can get on with his life far away from PC.

I thought Stella was a bit OTT with Tracy and the whole privilege thing. Yes she is privileged. And as such, it’s her right to decide if, when and where she gets her annual health exam. If you want to fight against the injustices toward minorities, fine. It’s a worthy battle. Just don’t rail at the first person you see. Glad she apologized and that it looks like she and Tracy are going to get along. Maybe the two of them can team up on something that will help. 

diane telling Alexis to shit can the gossip columnist because he ran a piece about Diane is ricH. If you don’t like the publicity, stop representing mobsters. 

Ava definitely has feelings for Sonny. 

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I thought Stella was a bit OTT with Tracy and the whole privilege thing.

Stella admitted she was still worked up after her rant to Kevin. I think if that hadn't happened, she wouldn't have said anything to Tracy. And as you noted, Stella did apologize. And Tracy admitted she'd been rude to Stella (heh). I wouldn't mind seeing those two team up for something. The actors are good and the characters can stand up to each other. Neither is a pushover.

20 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

the gossip columnist

Everyone is acting as if this guy is some sort of Perez Hilton back in the day. Nothing he's posted so far has been false.

• Like 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

"It's just you and I here." Oh, Diane. You should know better. (And as a writer herself, so should Carolyn Hennesy. I am doubly disappointed.)

That line caught my attention, too. But I'm pretty sure it's correct. "You" and "I" are subject complements and therefore nominative, not objective. I think it might be more likely that Carolyn changed it to the right pronoun. 

But that aside, I'm hoping that the article about Diane  sleeping with the D.A. leads Robert to decide they can't continue their relationship. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, rur said:

I'm pretty sure it's correct

‘You and I are the only ones here’ is correct. ‘It’s just you and I’ is not. Reverse it and it doesn’t work: ‘it’s just I and you.’

• Like 3
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

They wrapped up this story very quickly. Not that I'm complaining, but I find it a bit facile for Marshall to say we're all humans, and he's going to be a good Christian and forgive the poor shrink who misdiagnosed him.

On one hand, it does seem they are wrapping it up; on the other hand, are they going to do anything with the important conversations the characters are having now with Kevin? If not, why are they spending time on them?

• Like 5

Guess the writers are too young to know, even after all the research they did for Kevin's monologue.  But Medicare already covers a free annual exam for seniors.  No need to be a GH board member.  

• Like 1

Based upon some of the comments here about the writing on this show ticking up recently, I returned from my trip to the barge last week.  Overall, things do seem to be getting better.

That said, anyone else burst out laughing at Joss' reaction to learning her boyfriend, the mob boss' flunkie, admit to being ready to carry out said mob boss' order to murder someone?  Boy, was that some clunky writing.

• Like 8

There, there Joss, don't cry. I bet "mob enforcer boyfriend almost murdered old man" sex will be even hotter than "trying to stop mob mole boyfriend from fleeing town" sex.  

Meanwhile, I just can't buy that Ava is catching feelings for Sonny. Crazy crypt sex, sure. Demure hand resting on his shoulder as she gazes at him, hell NO! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

Ava does understand the potential loss of a child so maybe it's just empathy? But yeah it sure is starting to look like she somehow caught feelings. Ugh.

Dex looks to be turning state's evidence so maybe we're not through with him yet. Double ugh.

That said I am still seeing improvements in the writing. And some clunkiness as they bring stuff to a close is to be expected. Still I thought the Marshall stuff was good today and any team up if Stella and Tracy has my interest  i also like Diane most in scenes with Alexis. NLG clearly told her old friend Patrick what she wanted and he is delivering. She's been tweeting about Alexis's law license for a while now.

• Like 5

Finally watched another episode today(as I rarely watch anymore). Nina needs to get a clue and realize something is up with Ava. Look at her face! Lol she doesn't seem like she wants to talk to her about Sonny, and doesn't want to help her. Ask her what's going on! I kinda like Nina and Ava's friendship even if it is weird that they even became friends. I don't want to see her sleeping with Sonny like that. I mean she could just at least tell Nina that she's been getting closer to Sonny, and might be catching feelings before she ends up in bed with him. Not that that would make it any better, but they all know stuff happens. 

• Like 7

Mulcahey, upon entering the writers' room: "You're planning WHAT long drawn-out story for Hatman? No. Let's wrap this up with a single scene and move on." My hero.

Apparently Joss thought Dex was working as Sonny's gummi bear delivery driver. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Mulcahey, upon entering the writers' room: "You're planning WHAT long drawn-out story for Hatman? No. Let's wrap this up with a single scene and move on." My hero.

Apparently Joss thought Dex was working as Sonny's gummi bear delivery driver. 

I don't even think they were planning a big story. Just to keep returning to it every 3 to 6 weeks for a day or something, which has been the usual FV and co. plotting method for B or C-storylines for many years (and began with Frank and Ron Carlivati). It's how they seem to manage guarantees.

This stuff is clearly dear to PM as he dug into the Black experience at B&B in the same way, and was a huge booster for Monti Sharp's character at GL. I don't need any more Hat Man in my life but I'm glad they got to talk about this stuff onscreen.

• Like 6

The previous regime didn't seem to think in terms of stories. They had occasional events and then things people can talk about between the events. That's the difference I felt immediately once the new writers were involved. Jason's return/the threat to Sonny already feels like an actual story. It feels like we are actually going somewhere again. One thing leads to another that leads to another. I may not love the direction each story is moving in (Ava should have feelings ABOUT Sonny not FOR Sonny, it's a very big difference!) But there is momentum again.

• Like 9

A focus on the doctors and the work they do in the last two days with official writing change is what I come away with most. The intelligence and care given over to the Heather situation despite her many insane crimes - and it's true, before '04 Heather (while batshit crazy) wasn't a totally irredeemable psychopath. And the fun back and forth between Laura and Robert over it in the background was neat. I assume this is being done so PM can continue to use Alley Mills probably similarly to her supporting B&B role of the slightly nuts sister Pam (who Mulcahey wrote for), though Heather was always a lot more nuts than Pam. I'm dubious but if they keep using Heather as a foil/talk-to for Laura I could potentially if grudgingly get behind something like that, because AM is talented and the roots are there with Laura and Heather in classic episodes involving them and their families you can find on YT, and it's nice to see that touched on. But Mills is gonna have to seriously tone down her performance.

What really impressed me though were the Ashford family scenes with Kevin. That was very good stuff and clearly a labor of love for Mulcahey given his past work re: minority issues, and it felt to me like GH fulfilling its social contract with the viewers for the first time in a long time. They haven't gone near abortion or birth control or COVID in many recent years, just had people keep pumping out babies which I found shameful, but this is a good start back from that. Those scenes were long, layered, intelligent and emotional, and made me actually invest in Hat Dad's feelings for the first time. It reminded me of the show that gave Robin AIDS and educated its afterschool audience, and that made me proud.

And LOL I do appreciate Diane reading Julian and Britt for filth as dead perjurers. I may have very limited tolerance for ol' Diane but those scenes with Alexis were spiky and smart as she broke down exactly how Alexis could get back into the law. As for Nina, she is clearly harkening back to apeshit classic Nina from the Stafford days - spoiled, snarky, OTT and histrionic. Which I find Watros has often played the undercurrent of to get through years of boring material, but now it's really defined. Which is fine by me, it's who the character has always been. Time to let her loose!

Ava: I do think she is still deep in all this. I can also buy her becoming legit dickmatized for Sonny during the course of her scheme while also having worked him from the start. She's fallen for (somehow) worse men, or even lamer ones like Morgan and Griffin Munro. This is the woman who brought us Aunt Denise DiMuccio. She's both brilliant and down bad!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I've liked Diane since she came on the show.  She added some much needed sass to all  the mobby stuff.  Reminded me of the type of characters Eve Arden used to play (anyone?).  

I was looking forward to seeing Joss being the one dumped by Dex leaving.  Instead, now she gets to be the dumper and be oh so noble about it. What a letdown.

I would like to see Nina and Sonny get back together but I want it to be Sonny's  idea. It's awful seeing her humiliate herself for him.  The ball's in Sonny's court, Nina.  Give him a chance to get over it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, graight said:

I've liked Diane since she came on the show.  She added some much needed sass to all  the mobby stuff.  Reminded me of the type of characters Eve Arden used to play (anyone?).  

I was looking forward to seeing Joss being the one dumped by Dex leaving.  Instead, now she gets to be the dumper and be oh so noble about it. What a letdown.

I would like to see Nina and Sonny get back together but I want it to be Sonny's  idea. It's awful seeing her humiliate herself for him.  The ball's in Sonny's court, Nina.  Give him a chance to get over it.

Eve Arden fan saying Hello while agreeing that, yes, Diane has had some EA moments! Hopefully, she will have more with the new writers on board.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 7:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t Alexis and Diane partners in their own firm before Alexis was disbarred? So Diane’s “offer” just made me go 😒😒😒😒.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:29 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I don't recall Alexis and Diane having a law firm together (there was a time before Alexis got disbarred that I wasn't watching regularly, so maybe it happened then.) 

This one is really testing my memory. 

They were definitely partners. It started well before the disbarment, though. Alexis either joined Diane's firm or they started their own in 2010, when Sonny "Pure Muscle" Corinthos was on trial for the murder of Claudia Zacchara. 

For a very brief time, Claire, the federal attorney who had a relationship with Sonny, was also their partner. From looking at episode summaries, she simply stopped appearing...right after becoming partners with Alexis and Diane. I guess someone at GH decided that three lady lawyers was one more than necessary. 

My recollection—which isn't worth a lot in this case—is that in the years leading up the disbarment, Alexis and Diane were back to being written more as close friends who had the same profession, rather than partners. So their being part of the same law firm may be something that just slipped away over five writing regime changes. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, graight said:

I like Diane too and hope these writers do her more justice. ...so to speak. 🤣 I remember my dad listening to old time radio programs of "Our Miss Brooks" and Eve's fiesty working woman character was a true original. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jsbt said:

But Mills is gonna have to seriously tone down her performance.

Maybe now that Heather has an actual diagnosis, she won't feel the need to caterwaul all the time. As annoying as her yowling was, I think a lot of it was to draw attention to herself and try to be taken seriously, which of course backfired because she overdid it. Allie Mills is smart enough to modulate things if that's the direction Heather is taking. 

I do like that we're getting more depth in the stories, and I agree with @Grinaldi that we're getting actual stories that have some momentum. If some of them are ending a bit abruptly, at least there is a bit of thought put into them before they're wrapped up, as with Marshall. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Dex to Anna:  I want to confess to attempted murder on Cyrus Renault on Sonny's order.  

Anna: Did you ever get anything incriminating on Sonny?

Dex  I did.  He was helping move illegal arms for PIkeman.

Anna: <mouth agape>

Damn, did not see that coming !!

Edited by perkie1968
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2

I feel like there was a better way to make Joss turn anti mob other than just flat out writing her as stupid and naive. Michael, Morgan, Molly etc figured what Jason did by the time they were preteens but she had no idea that he murdered people at her big age? LMAO 

Anna is dead to me if she doesn’t take Dex up on his offer to help take Sonny down. 

I guess they are setting up Jake being the good kid that rejects his father and his lifestyle while Danny is seeking his approval. Interesting but probably should have been reversed considering that Dante was the one raising Danny. However, it is interesting that Jake feels guilty for his father and his actions because that was always a beat missing from Sonny’s kids. 

• Like 8
(edited)

It won't surprise me if Jake turns away from Jason. He's been raised by Liz and by Lucky for a lot of years, and after that came Drew's kinder, softer Jason who saw a life outside the mob, and who he was very close to. They tried to replicate that with Steve but it didn't work IMO. Creating a distinction between the two boys (like Jason and A.J., which also existed even before the accident) would be smart, because Danny does seem like the overcompensating type with something to prove. And frankly Sam did go back to the life with Jason for awhile, and it's hard to shake years of that off as their kid (or the stories she and the town likely told about his hero hitman father for years and years).

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 6

Anna: <mouth agape>

Seriously, now Anna gets that Sonny is a bad and dangerous guy? I rolled my eyes at her teary eyes.

Spare me the tongue bath by Kristina and then Blaze's mom about what a wonderful father Sonny is. The line about her a young child in particular made me roll my eyes.  He didn't know Kristina was his for the first couple of years, and he didn't see her very much for what, the first 15 or so years of her life? 

"love struck idiot" - more like sex struck, Joss, but yes you have been. I hoped lightning would strike Carly on her "doing the right thing isn't always easy" line. What would Carly know about doing the right thing, ever? I don't count her telling Nina the truth about Willow, because she really didn't have a choice at that point with Willow's life on the line.

I LOVE seeing Elizabeth's relationship with Aiden and how things are with him and Jake. I just wish we didn't hear about Jake's reactions and responses regarding "Jason is alive" and "Jason may have shot Dante" second hand. It's an interesting difference between Jason's two sons: one full of anger and doesn't want to hear Jason defended, one is skeptical and wants more time with his dad. There is just no warmth coming from SB as Jason was - interviewing?? - Danny about his interests. I genuinely felt bad for Danny because part of what he told John/Jagger is acknowledging the truth: "I barely know him. I don't know why he came back but it wasn't for me."

I also really liked Brooklyn dismissing the mention of Diane Miller and telling Danny he can call his Quartermaine Family lawyers if the police try again. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Anna: Did you ever get anything incriminating on Sonny?

Dex  I did.  He was helping move illegal arms for PIkeman.

Is Dex going to blab about the flash drive, and that Carly, Michael, and Joss (and Willow?) knew about it?  Accessories after the fact?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I LOVE seeing Elizabeth's relationship with Aiden and how things are with him and Jake. I just wish we didn't hear about Jake's reactions and responses regarding "Jason is alive" and "Jason may have shot Dante" second hand.

I can't fault them for scrapping a lot of direct town reaction stuff. This is like Jason's third or fourth shocking return from the dead (counting Drew). That has diminishing returns. Just get to the story and you can bring those people in in time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Is Dex going to blab about the flash drive, and that Carly, Michael, and Joss (and Willow?) knew about it?  Accessories after the fact?

No.  the only thing he said about Carly is that she and Michael had Dex stay on to protect Sonny from his stupid instincts.  

The talk then went back to him almost killing Cyrus and that he's willing to pay for his sins, but Anna told him he doesn't have proof and Sonny will kill him.  Dex offered his services if Anna wants to take down Sonny.  

• Like 3

So Nina tipped off joss. She breaks up with dex. Dex goes to the police. If they decide to take him up on his offer sonny, Michael, Carly are in trouble. It’s all Nina’s fault. 

She knows she’s the cause of Sonny’s downfall, the man she loves. 

• Useful 2

It's thrilling to know Anna says 'I see Sonny Corinthos clearly now,' but showing up at Wagger's could potentially leave her the fool depending on how he is actually involved here. Though again, I don't think a black ops kill squad would meet at FBI HQ in Quantico which is explicitly where Wagger met Jason in the flashback.

1 minute ago, jacourt said:

So Nina tipped off joss. She breaks up with dex. Dex goes to the police. If they decide to take him up on his offer sonny, Michael, Carly are in trouble. It’s all Nina’s fault. 

Classic Nina!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I can't fault them for scrapping a lot of direct town reaction stuff. This is like Jason's third or fourth shocking return from the dead (counting Drew). That has diminishing returns. Just get to the story and you can bring those people in in time.

But this isn't the town -Jake is Jason's (biological) first born child. We should get to see his reaction to the possibility that his Dad shot Dante, who is a loved member of the extended family since he is Lulu's ex/Rocco's dad. Not to mention that as of Halloween/last we heard, Jake is dating Charlotte and Dante is Charlotte's stepdad.  Elizabeth could acknowledge to Jake that this may be a painful reminder of when he and Cam were in conflict over whether it was Jason who killed Franco. 

I will give the new head writers credit that as of March I've seen the under 20-year-old characters interact with the adults and the extended family members (esp. Quartermaines) more now than in at least 10 years. 

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Any explanation for the last 2 years that doesn't include a threat against Jake's life or Danny's life isn't good enough.  I need at least one character to explicitly say something close to that directly to Jason's face.  I would prefer Jake.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I loved Carly's reaction to Joss telling her that Sonny told Dex to kill Cyrus. Carly knows the score.

Good for BLQ for reading Wagger the riot act about coming in to talk to Danny, a minor, with no responsible adult present.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Bringonthedrama said:

But this isn't the town -Jake is Jason's (biological) first born child.

Jake has seen and reacted to Jason coming back from the dead at least twice. I don't need it. He's been onscreen plenty lately and I'm sure he will be again soon, and I say that as someone who thinks Hudson West should be on contract. I don't need to watch the same beat play out over and over for each fanbase.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I genuinely felt bad for Danny because part of what he told John/Jagger is acknowledging the truth: "I barely know him. I don't know why he came back but it wasn't for me."

It's sad because he is very clear about Jason while wanting his attention and his love. Of course Jason is still his good ol' borg self. Not a hint of warmth or love from him for his son. Didn't even ask about his other son either. 

The episode wasn't bad at all. I didn't even realize it was done until the credits started rolling.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

I think we got the Sonny, Krissy, Natalia scenes of 'Sonny, he's so great' as a counter showing what a hypocrite he is because of the Dex, Anna and Joss, Carly stuff. It seemed very pointed to me.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Of course Jason is still his good ol' borg self. Not a hint of warmth or love from him for his son. Didn't even ask about his other son either. 

I honestly can't understand why SBu plays Jason this way and the show doesn't acknowledge it. I get that Elizabeth and Sam might not want to slag their kids' dad, but I don't think it would be wrong to say something like "Your dad has always had trouble expressing emotion" or whatever. The worst thing for me is that even before this latest absence, we never saw Jason doing stuff with his kids. He could still be emotionally awkward with them, but at least if he spent time with them (and didn't seem resentful he was doing it), it would show he has some feelings for them. Ugh, he's such a terrible dad and no one has the guts to tell him that.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, he's such a terrible dad and no one has the guts to tell him that.

The way SBu plays him, and the way he's written, is that Jason has no room in his heart for anyone not named Sonny, Carly, or Michael--one or a combo being no doubt the reason he let the world believe he's dead.  

• Like 10
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I honestly can't understand why SBu plays Jason this way and the show doesn't acknowledge it. I get that Elizabeth and Sam might not want to slag their kids' dad, but I don't think it would be wrong to say something like "Your dad has always had trouble expressing emotion" or whatever. The worst thing for me is that even before this latest absence, we never saw Jason doing stuff with his kids. He could still be emotionally awkward with them, but at least if he spent time with them (and didn't seem resentful he was doing it), it would show he has some feelings for them. Ugh, he's such a terrible dad and no one has the guts to tell him that.

i was going to say - the thing is that's a lie. Because when he wants to he's very capable of showing emotion. Just not you know, anything related to him. he's shown more attention to Kristina, Morgan and Michael in their formative years than his own kids by choice) he's always more emotionally invested when something happens/happened to them. 

when Jake was "dead" when Luke hit him, sure Jason had the classic "crumpled face, rolling tear down the cheek" but he never really lost it, or like raged that he lost his kid. (or if he did i didn't remember). i still remember him saying he wish he told Sam that he didn't want to have kids with her. someone tried to tell me once that he is a great loving father but the show never writes it in for him, and i am like please tell me where, when and how coz I don't remember at all

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

Kristina's story about Dante made it sound as if he was around as a teen, getting into scrapes, but I thought that Sonny didn't even know about Dante until he was an adult. That sounded strange to me.

• Like 11
27 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The way SBu plays him, and the way he's written, is that Jason has no room in his heart for anyone not named Sonny, Carly, or Michael

That order is Michael, Sonny, Carly.

Danny and/or Jake need to ask Jason why Michael is more of a priority than his own kids, especially now that Michael is an adult (supposedly™ Silas Clay forever) with his own family.

• Like 9