Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Dex/Joss makeout scene looked crazily stilted and awkward to me this time. They usually don't exactly have that problem lol. It felt very choreographed and awkward, she was clumsily turning away from him then back, etc. much less organically than you usually see actors on these shows able to pull off (particularly ones who give the vibe they're fucking for real).

I guffawed BTW when he just poked his head out from behind that shed or whatever. Joss is on a desperate quest to find Dex only to find him the first place she goes. I thought it was a dumb fantasy sequence at first, like it can't be that easy. But it typifies the dramatic inertia this show has often had for years.

The less said about BLQ's latest Blofeld/Chairman Mao floral ensemble the better. This mess with Setton dictating the character's look and behavior like a Mormon wife can't go on forever.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 7
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Karen moved on to others and barely mentioned Jagger, 

So (deceased) Karen's not the mother of John/Jagger's son, Stone? I thought she was because John/Jagger said his son lives independently, implying he's an adult now. Karen and Jagger could definitely have an adult child at this time.  I thought it was a little odd that Scott didn't ask about the kid nor did John/Jagger say "your grandson is ..."

• Useful 6
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

The less said about BLQ's latest Blofeld/Chairmao Mao floral ensemble the better. This mess with Setton dictating the character's look and behavior like a Mormon wife can't go on forever.

That just reminded me when Chase and Brooklyn were locked in the steamroom where he was just wearing a towel and she wouldn't even remove her blazer.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

So (deceased) Karen's not the mother of John/Jagger's son, Stone? I thought she was because John/Jagger said his son lives independently, implying he's an adult now. Karen and Jagger could definitely have an adult child at this time.  I thought it was a little odd that Scott didn't ask about the kid nor did John/Jagger say "your grandson is ..."

Karen divorced Jagger when he cheated on her with his partner when he was a cop. She moved back to Port Charles and was a resident doctor. At some point after this, Jagger became a dad as we found out when he returned to visit on the Night Shift and we found out about his son Stone.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

This is coming from a guy who has a meltdown every time Deke is mentioned.

Sonny is—I want to emphasize, only in this one way—similar to Tony Soprano. That was an amusing running theme in The Sopranos. Even though he was in weekly therapy, Tony expected everyone from his wife to his mistresses to his criminal associates to (in one egregious example) his kid's therapist to be his sounding board about all the problems in his past, present, and future. He once even showed up at a friend's house in the middle of the night for, essentially, an unscheduled free therapy session. But when one of those characters was dealing with something serious, such as the death of a parent or a sibling, he'd say something like, "All right, but you gotta get over it."  

The Sopranos presented this personality in a more self-aware and better-written way, and when there were laughs, they were intentional.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Tony expected everyone from his wife to his mistresses to his criminal associates to (in one egregious example) his kid's therapist to be his sounding board about all the problems in his past, present, and future.

Preach. Remember this line (paraphrasing) "I had an awful childhood, there was very little love in the house," as Carmella sat next to him, rolling her eyes. They were at the therapist's office to talk about his suicidal son, not him.

In other news, the sooner Brooke Lynn gets out of that horrible wedding dress the better. As they say, kindly, "It's not for you."

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

So, Sonny uses Karen's stripper name and Stone's death to goad Jagger into hitting him... Weird because I would have sworn he told Nina that pettiness was unforgivable. 

And they keep trying to make Joss/ Dex an epic love story and it just isn't. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

So, Sonny uses Karen's stripper name and Stone's death to goad Jagger into hitting him... Weird because I would have sworn he told Nina that pettiness was unforgivable. 

Sonny subscribes to the "one rule for thee, another for me" school of thought.  Gee, this 'meltdown' of his is bad, huh?  If only someone who really knew him could show up and help him out. /s

Here's hoping Brooklyn does a massive overhaul of Lila's dress, because that thing was ugly back in 1995.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, jsbt said:

The less said about BLQ's latest Blofeld/Chairmao Mao floral ensemble the better. This mess with Setton dictating the character's look and behavior like a Mormon wife can't go on forever.

I didn't know there was an actor-dictated reason for this. I thought maybe it was post-baby figure anxiety. Is it a religious thing on her part?

Since Jason returns Monday, I'm braced for someone reacting in shock when they open the door or return home at the tail end of today's (Friday's) episode. Or maybe we'll just get the creepy POV of someone hiding behind a bush.

• Useful 4
21 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I didn't know there was an actor-dictated reason for this. I thought maybe it was post-baby figure anxiety. Is it a religious thing on her part?

Since Jason returns Monday, I'm braced for someone reacting in shock when they open the door or return home at the tail end of today's (Friday's) episode. Or maybe we'll just get the creepy POV of someone hiding behind a bush.

I don't know if it's religious.  I know she is religious, and bragged that she won't do sex scenes because she's "wildly" committed to her husband.  Imagine being a married costar who does sex scenes and hearing that.  Like, I really don't think soap love scenes have anything to do with how committed you are to your spouse.  

• Like 15

Didn’t SB have some rule about keeping his shirt on and doing live scenes because if his marriage beliefs?  How’d that work out Steve?  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

I don't know if it's religious.  I know she is religious, and bragged that she won't do sex scenes because she's "wildly" committed to her husband.   

Odd. While her character doesn't dress sexy, she does make out with Chase, unbutton his shirt, etc. Maybe she declines being shot in a scene with her back bare or shirtless with just a bra on? It doesn't make sense to me because adult JJ (ex-Lucky/married a former GH actress when he was 20) is well known for being a conservative Christian yet he did a love scene with Becky Herbst/Elizabeth, which resulted in Aiden's conception.

I recall when SB was young, he didn't want Jason in love scenes. Fast forward a couple decades, he was quoted about working out and a lot and really watching his diet when he saw in the script that he had a love scene coming up. 

These actors get paid to do a job and have co-stars depending on them. It has nothing to do with a commitment to one's spouse, unless the actor's behavior is in question due to observed flirting, lusting after/checking out another actor's anatomy etc. 

It makes me wonder if this actress's husband/family/community have given her feedback about perceived sexuality on-screen. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I recall when SB was young, he didn't want Jason in love scenes. Fast forward a couple decades, he was quoted about working out and a lot and really watching his diet when he saw in the script that he had a love scene coming up. 

Also, a lot of us old-timers recall SB's love scene with Kimberly McCullough where his pants were...ah... noticeably tighter in a certain place, if you know what I mean. I actually remember screen captures posted on TwOP back in the day.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 10
11 hours ago, nilyank said:
13 hours ago, jsbt said:

That just reminded me when Chase and Brooklyn were locked in the steamroom where he was just wearing a towel and she wouldn't even remove her blazer.

whats up with that?  Her choice?  Why??

2 hours ago, jacourt said:

Didn’t SB have some rule about keeping his shirt on and doing live scenes because if his marriage beliefs?  How’d that work out Steve?  

Not great Bob!

• LOL 3

Good for Kristina for opting out of Carly's attempt to gossip with her about her and Blaze's relationship. 

I miss when Anna was smart and showed good judgement.

Did MB shave one side of his face but not the other? Maybe it's just the lighting on that particular set ...

Dante speaks for us all in the preview: "What the hell?!"

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It makes me wonder if this actress's husband/family/community have given her feedback about perceived sexuality on-screen. 

i know on a reddit recently that Setton did with the Chase actor that they both don't want to do love scenes because they don't want that "out there". and their kids watching etc.. which i mean. I respect that decision. but in my head i'm like then .... why are you on a soap? that's sort of expected (Imo). 

so that one just makes me side eye a bit. but whatevs

however

14 hours ago, jsbt said:

She does have the right to feel comfortable in her clothing choices. everyone does. I just feel what we might think that isn't fashionable or comfortable it could be for them and their taste. I don't know what she was wearing or anything but i know people got on Brooke for her jumpsuit and i thought it looked decent and comfortable. fashion (like beauty) is in the eyes of the beholder.

• Like 4

Carly going through the kitchen drawers like she was home made me want to reach in the screen and slap her. 

The conversation Alexis and Drew had made me wanna stab him, then we caught a glimpse of old Drew with Sam. Still hate him and have no use for him. Color me shocked that he and Carly are still a couple.

Are Jake and Danny supposed to be today's version on AJ and Jason? 

Chase taking notes and notes to give Dante the answer he was looking for is peak Chase.

I find Anna super annoying. She needs to get off her soap box and Sonny still isn't a good person. He mellowed out a bit but he has no regrets for the things he's done.

• Like 10

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Carly had to remind Drew that it was Scout's birthday. He talks about how much time he's missed with her, but we still never even hear about them spending time together, much less see it.

OMG, Drew, if Nina had turned you and Carly into the SEC because she was a concerned citizen, would you still be hellbent on revenge? I CANNOT with him. And really, his firing of Nina says more about him than her. He's a petty, vindictive asshole who can't see past his bruised ego.

And speaking of ego: "I wish whoever's targeting me would get in my face, but I get it; they're too scared." LOL. Clearly Sonny has never heard of the long game.

Why don't Felicia and Spinelli understand why Maxie is so hurt? Maxie made some excellent points about honesty and autonomy and they pooh-poohed them, saying they acted from a good place. Good motives don't erase Maxie's legitimate feelings. I really don't like how those feelings are being ignored.

11 minutes ago, jacourt said:

What the heck!  Sam wants crazy on the edge Drew to talk to Danny?  What’s wrong with Dante?

Dante is too close to being a parental figure. I get that. But Drew isn't the alternative.

Previews: Ugh, more shrieking Heather.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Doesn’t Sam know that Drew is acting unhinged? She was concerned about him not that long ago. You’d think he’d be the last person she asked to help with Danny. Even if she knows he won’t open up to Dante, I’m sure there’s plenty of other male figures in his life that she can have talk to him. Though I guess it’s a moot point since Jason will probably save the day and be the only one who can get through to him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Even if she knows he won’t open up to Dante, I’m sure there’s plenty of other male figures in his life that she can have talk to him.

Who, though? I honestly couldn't think of someone close enough to Danny that he'd feel comfortable talking to. No man connected to Sam save for Dante is anyone Danny should be looking up to. They're all terrible in one way or another.

• Useful 1

Smug, Sonny-apologist Anna is almost as annoying as weepy, sad sack Anna. "Yes, he is a mobster, killer, crook, but you are not taking the whole measure of the man. He is also pals with my daughter." 

Glad they are making Jake the good brother and Danny the fuck up. See Sam, that is what happens when you park your kids at the Q Daycare for Neglected Children. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 10

Catching up on the past few days.  Hoping Sonny spirals himself right off the canvas, but I've no such luck.  Alternatively, I will root for John to take him down.  Or maybe Ava.  MW can sell anything.

I realize it's traditional to have a scene partner in a soap, but I really would watch a one-woman show with Jane Elliot.  Tracy is different these days, as she would be in the autumn of her life.  She is more easily touched, less volatile and definitely less combative, and I think it has all been a set of purposeful choices on the part of the actress.  I love her softening with Gregory, and making herself vulnerable.  Love that she's found a family with his.  There's a lot of potential to that storyline, especially in the hands of JE and GH.  If not for that, I'd be all for Tracy finding her way into a May/December romance with someone, because JE could pull it off.  

Anna, you disappoint me.  Or are you playing some kind of long game?

It doesn't sound like Chase is expecting his mother to be at the wedding.  Has it been said why? 

Loved seeing Lila for a few seconds.  The dress, not so much.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I'm not sure we've had Danny/Jake scenes together with these actors, have we?* They were pretty good together -- there's some potential there! 

*On Halloween there was one clump of the littler kids at Kelly's, and one clump of teens trick-or-treating, but I vaguely remember that one of the bigger kids was oddly at Kelly's. Can't remember if it was Rocco or Danny, though.

• Like 2

I liked the Maxie/Felicia conversation today. Still completely disagree with Felicia and Spinelli’s actions but the conversation seemed more natural between mother and daughter. 

Anna: I wouldn’t hesitate to arrest Sonny if there was evidence 

me: of course you would. You’d also give him a heads up that he was going to be arrested so he had time to get out of town or at least get Diane started on the paperwork. Also, how is taking Sonny’s ‘good deeds’ into account going to help bring him down? I loved John reminding her that criminals use philanthropy to launder their money. 

so. I guess Dante is going to be the first to see Jason on Monday? I can’t wait 🙄

• Like 7

Carly should not be allowed to set up parties in that house.  Drew, Alexis and Sam couldn't have this party anywhere else?

Sam thinks unstable Drew should be speaking to Danny, not stable Dante?  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Pin the tail on the donkey?  That was lame when I was a kid.  Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Maxie needs to invest in mothballs.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 21-12-41 FULL General Hospital 03_01_2024 ABC GH - General Hospital March 01th 2024 FULL EPISODE 720HD - YouTube.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Who, though? I honestly couldn't think of someone close enough to Danny that he'd feel comfortable talking to. No man connected to Sam save for Dante is anyone Danny should be looking up to. They're all terrible in one way or another.

Sam's brother Lucas knows plenty about coping with loss(es) however reaching out to Lucas would a) mean the Show acknowledging that Lucas matters for relationships beyond Bobbie, Carly and Carly's spawn and b) allow the audience to be reminded that Julian existed aside from his relationship with Ava. 

• Like 5
(edited)

All I know is that for decades Steve publicly made a point of avoiding love scenes, and horny fans would set their watch to the exact timestamp and amount of seconds spent any time he occasionally got his shirt off. Then all of a sudden in 2021 the show broke up the eternal purgatory of Jasam like the house was on fire, and a couple months later Jason was into explicit deep dick lovemaking onscreen with Britt who he barely knew. It was the most I'd seen Steve give to a sex scene since maybe the Jason/Liz ONS in the 2000s (which was very rare back then), and even by that comparison it was still a lot from him. Then he hopscotches to Carly, who Steve had vetoed being re-paired with since the Clinton administration.

Historically Jason needs a blood test, an 18-month waiting period and a writ from the Pope to get with a woman onscreen. Then he got down with two in rapid succession shortly after splitting with his longtime love interest of decades. So whatever went on BTS with Steve was a big deal. It's anyone's guess what they have planned now.

As for Amanda Setton, I loved her on OLTL and I thought she was an ideal choice for BLQ but everything going on backstage there is equally weird. It's one thing if it's a body confidence issue, but if you don't want to wear age-appropriate clothing or have love scenes because of religious convictions, don't be on a soap opera.

It was one thing putting up with this stuff from the occasional performer in the '90s or 2000s when hot love scenes were still commonplace for other couples and stories, but so much of these shows are neutered now in terms of both content and tone, there's very little overt sexuality IMO and the younger characters especially (like BLQ) often behave either like old people or like children, they're staid and safe and just pump out babies or talk about having babies or long lost children. LGBT characters in particular are often reduced to brood mares or given children to desexualize them (Kristina has fallen prey to this, but bucked the trend slightly last week by having the most explicit sex scene with Blaze I've seen on this show in quite awhile). This kind of puritanical regression can't be tolerated anymore IMO. Imagine if they ran story today like Jason and Carly's ongoing no-name fuckfests at Jake's or wherever it was in 1996 (material often written, I might add, by incoming HWs Patrick Mulcahey and Liz Korte). I watched that shit again recently. Would not happen today. And that's fucked up in 2024.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 4
  • Applause 9
  • Love 2

Confused as to why Blaze hasn't clarified whether, career-wise, she is out.  I would think she would want to discuss it with her manager before telling teenagers, who are probably on social media. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

It was one thing putting up with this stuff from the occasional performer in the '90s or 2000s when hot love scenes were still commonplace for other couples and stories, but so much of these shows are neutered now in terms of both content and tone, there's very little overt sexuality IMO and the younger characters especially (like BLQ) often behave either like old people or like children, they're staid and safe and just pump out babies or talk about having babies or long lost children.

I agree with you as a whole, but the real world concern of COVID must have done quite a lot to affect things. I know people are sick of hearing about it, and I'm sick of talking about it, but we're in the fifth year of COVID being a thing, and it's one of the reasons Burton left in 2019, because he refused to be vaccinated. It's unclear if he was fired or quit, but that was why.

But you're not wrong. I'm old enough to remember the first iteration of Steve and Kayla on Days of Our Lives in addition to popular couples on GH, and we just don't see that kind of heat these days. It's weird that TV, at least the remaining daytime shows, has regressed rather than keep up with the times.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Sam's brother Lucas knows plenty about coping with loss(es) however reaching out to Lucas would a) mean the Show acknowledging that Lucas matters for relationships beyond Bobbie, Carly and Carly's spawn and b) allow the audience to be reminded that Julian existed aside from his relationship with Ava. 

It seems like Lucas is not in PC anymore. I don't remember who he told that he had a flight to catch after he met with reporter BJ.

Also, does Sam really know how far gone Drew is? They barely interact as it is. I would avoid Drew talking to anyone not because he's unhinged but because he's such a self-righteous preachy holier than thou asshole. It's not the sort of thing teenagers respond to. Like I said, I saw some old Drew in the scenes with Sam. I imagine he'll go full on unhinged when "my brother" comes back.

• LOL 6

I wonder if the rise of intimacy coordinators post MeToo may also be a factor in the reduction of sex scenes on daytime. It's an additional budget item and a longer shoot so I could see Frank just deciding to just skip them instead most of the time. Though we did get plenty with Jex recently.

As for Burton, I don't need to see that so his and my interests have been aligned these last several years in that one regard.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

I wonder if the rise of intimacy coordinators post MeToo may also be a factor in the reduction of sex scenes on daytime. It's an additional budget item and a longer shoot so I could see Frank just deciding to just skip them instead most of the time. Though we did get plenty with Jex recently.

Frankly I suspect daytime is, as with many other things, the last frontier re: sex scenes, etc. They've never been as explicit as primetime, cable or film and we know from the recent DOOL sexual harassment saga that these shows often still have little to no post-#MeToo oversight. I'm not saying they shouldn't have more safety in place, but I do think the more puritanical shift re: younger characters and their behavior and attitudes, and forcing a ton of baby stories vs. anything more realistic or salacious, began well before the pandemic. It's been around for over a decade - the increased trending towards having any and all characters under 40-50 become deeply involved in baby stories above all else.

That is allegedly at least partly because the networks greenlight baby stories before others, and it fills a lot of time in a calendar year. I think the reason it's so easily greenlit also goes back to the networks' perception of what it is believed the majority of the remaining audience base (which they believe is largely old, white and conservative) will be comfortable with. Not saying that's accurate, but that's what I think has happened. So you end up with a canvas full of hot young Mormons clucking over babies, surrogacies, baby swaps and who their real mom/dad is.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I think this is a very interesting conversation.  I also always want the actress to be comfortable.  I'm sorry I am more concerned about the women, maybe because they are the ones we usually hear about being exploited, harassed, and worse.  For a while, after hearing what went on with Emilia Clarke on GOT, I didn't want to see ANY sex scenes to be honest.  So I have such mixed feelings on it.  On Twitter, a lot of people were complaining heavily about the Jex sex scene last week, saying we don't get to see the undressing etc with Sprina.  I personally think Jex are a real life couple, and mentioned that.  I mean, I do think that comes into play and I think you can tell just from the kissing.  It's different.  And that's okay with me. 

But Amanda and Joshua basically said they don't want to be in bed together.  IMO you don't belong on a soap then. 

Also, Eden has like sex stalkers.  There's one I heard about who is on Reddit who is really gross.  So it's one thing for her to be comfortable with Evan, it's another for her to always have her clothes off.  I hope she is comfortable with that.  If I were a Taby stan I don't think I'd be clamoring for her to have the many near-naked scenes Eden does.  Honestly, it's not a prize you win IMO.  

As for SBU he can keep his clothes fully ON, thank you!  But I'm interested in seeing NuJagger take it off.  lol

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

But I'm interested in seeing NuJagger take it off.  lol

ALL of it please and thank you that man is  🔥

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

For a while, after hearing what went on with Emilia Clarke on GOT, I didn't want to see ANY sex scenes to be honest.

D&D are two disgusting pricks who had no business writing or running a show. 

To GH, I tend to FF any sex scenes because I'm not interested in the couples. They are just so bland. And I hate most of the characters. If you want to torture me, strap me to a chair for a Carly/Drew love scene or Michael/Willow. I will tell you whatever you want to know inside 30 seconds.

• LOL 13

“Love in the afternoon.”  I’d like to see more of that please.  I respect people not wanting to do sex scenes because of their beliefs, but at the same time, soaps are about love and relationships and making love (sex). 

I think that the ratings would go up if there were more sex and super romantic  scenes.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

Interesting discussion re: portrayals of intimacy on soaps.  The mention of Steve and Kayla from DOOL reminded me of the very long build up of that relationship, the months and months of growing sexual tension that led up to their first time together.  When it finally happened, I suspect much of the 'heat' was coming from the viewers. 

We don't get those kinds of stories anymore.  We don't get prolonged scenes, deep character development, or slowly-building relationships.  Those are the kindling that's missing, and without them, it's hard to build a fire.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JMO said:

We don't get those kinds of stories anymore.  We don't get prolonged scenes, deep character development, or slowly-building relationships.  Those are the kindling that's missing, and without them, it's hard to build a fire.  

Without that, what sex we see is just simulated sex, i.e. Jex. The couples I remember from my youth made me feel as if I was intruding because of the level of intimacy that informed the scenes. The Sprina N.Y. scenes the scabs wrote were a lovely callback, I thought. 

We all know Easton and Setton are both friends of Frank dating back to at least OLTL, and the one thing I really do appreciate about Frank is that he tries to take care of people that he cares for in a very unkind industry. However, I think something needs to give especially as the show is reset and will if Patrick Mulcahey is a decision maker like NLG said he is. It will be interesting to watch from out here. While BTS stuff can be entertaining, I often lack the stomach for just what we find out about… 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Did NGL say that?  If Patrick really is a decision maker that will go along away with me.  We could see real change in that case.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CeChase said:

Did NGL say that?  If Patrick really is a decision maker that will go along away with me.  We could see real change in that case.  

NLG did. In a very recent interview with SOD. Also said positive things are happening. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I think I would have loved a flashback to Robin at Lois’s wedding.

WHAAAAT?

That dress BrookLynne was wearing was not good.

But LILA!🥰🥰🥰🥰

Oh please. As if Michael (cuz we can’t use our nicknames anymore) was EVER allowed fully into da bidnez. He’s always wanted this, but was refused time and time again.

And for someone who is supposed to be the biggest mafia “Don” on the East coast, he barely  has any foot soldiers and no capos. His entire organization is a joke.

As for the conversation about Amanda and Swickard? They are in the wrong business If they’re not willing to do whatever anemic live sex scenes there are. There are a good number of actors-in Daytime and Prime time, and movies, who are married and do what the job requires.

I think the last one I enjoyed was with Robin and Patrick, after she returned from her abduction. But it was their last night together before she left because of Victor’s blackmail.

• Like 1
(edited)

NLG may not be that well-informed tbqh. I would love to believe Mulcahey has gotten the Guza II-type deal and that Frank will be downgraded to a facilitator for the creatives, as he used to be with Ron long ago and as JFP was after she and Megan McTavish tanked the show. But I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm very excited to have a reason to be excited for the show again, and to be back here on a more consistent basis for the first time in years. I've gone in and out in the intervening period, but largely dipped in 2015. Not because I adored Ron Carlivati's writing at that point - I knew he needed to be fired - but because I knew his replacements were dreadful from experience and had no intention of watching them HW a show again. You could say a lot about Ron's GH but it was rarely boring; the succeeding writers were and are another story. What I didn't know is how much more overt Frank's own personal tastes would begin to guide and steer the show. The impression I've gotten over the last decade or so is that Frank now sees himself as a creative visionary a la other overbearing EPs who lack vision; all the writers he's installed since (until now) were merely internal hires he could control and dictate to. There have been claims that Frank wanted to bring back PM. It could be true but I don't believe it, especially if (as rumored) Mulcahey is bringing with him a small suite of longtime, famous GH writers. That is a challenge to FV's longstanding vision of the show, just like bringing back Vanessa Marcil or Jonathan Jackson (two performers too big for the current canvas) would be. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I am very excited for Monday, because that's when Mulcahey's work will allegedly begin to trickle onscreen (even if his name isn't yet on it) as SON is claiming he had a hand in the Jason return starting on that date, while other D&C material will continue to air alongside it a bit longer. I don't expect the show to become magic again overnight. There is so, so much wrong with it and bringing back Jason for the umpteenth time is just another symptom. But I'd like to believe we can uh, Make GH Great Again I guess. I certainly never expected this writer hire. So I'm excited, but I am also at a stance of 'trust but verify'.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, ComeWhatMay said:

We all know Easton and Setton are both friends of Frank dating back to at least OLTL, and the one thing I really do appreciate about Frank is that he tries to take care of people that he cares for in a very unkind industry. However, I think something needs to give especially as the show is reset and will if Patrick Mulcahey is a decision maker like NLG said he is. It will be interesting to watch from out here. While BTS stuff can be entertaining, I often lack the stomach for just what we find out about… 

I wish Frank (and other show producers) treated all actors with the same amount of respect and not the ones they are friends, so it isn't a credit to me. In fact it seems to be quite a common occurrence in the enteratinment industry . Lindsay Morgan (former Kristina) wasn't treated particularly well by the show when she was on at the start of FV tenure. It is extra insulting because he often treats the remaining longterm cast of this show worse than his OLTL transplants. I will always stand by that he gave Liz Webber's storylines and arches, like the rape revisited and the art therapist job to RH's Franco because Roger was OLTL royalty, even though Franco was an awful character through and through. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I will only get excited if he can undo all the damage to Anna and have her be grateful to Corinthos for being there for Robin, but that that won’t influence how she treats him like the criminal he is. But I’m not hopeful, because EVERYONE must genuflect and kiss the ring.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Lindsay Morgan (former Kristina) wasn't treated particularly well by the show when she was on at the start of FV tenure. It is extra insulting because he often treats the remaining longterm cast of this show worse than his OLTL transplants. I will always stand by that he gave Liz Webber's storylines and arches, like the rape revisited and the art therapist job to RH's Franco because Roger was OLTL royalty, even though Franco was an awful character through and through. 

He also gave Franco to Liz because he knew Rebecca Herbst and her incredibly devoted fanbase were a safe harbor and job security for Roger Howarth, until she wasn't given the nature of the Franco character finally catching up with them BTS. This tactic has played out again since with Michael Easton.

I didn't like Lindsay Morgan on the show at all but she wouldn't be the first person Frank blew off. His passive aggression or iceman behavior is well-known going back to OLTL, as much as his generosity and kindness to others. That all said, I can critique Frank all day and night but I also can't deny that he is one of the last people on daytime (if not the last) who knows how to bring this show in on or under budget without it looking like a ghost town (check out Y&R, or DAYS by comparison to any issues GH currently has with either production value, extras or location variety) or that he and Ron saved the show from cancellation in 2012, period. I will always be grateful for those things, and for what he did for both John Ingle and Kimberly that year. There's other good things he's done in the years since, particularly the fine tribute episodes for many departed actors including Jackie. I will never say he is not capable within his skill set. I also think he's been here too long and that new blood is needed at the executive level, but I highly doubt there is any out there capable or coming. So I would settle for him getting out of the creative mix and micromanager role and instead doing what every EP should do best.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Alright.  I'm just going to come out and say it:

A. Mulcahey had a hand in Jason/Carly 1.0.

B. He's coming back at the same time as SBu.

C. Before Jason "died" Jason/Carly was a thing again.

I'm going to assume that the only reason Mulcahey agreed to be HW is because he was given carte blanche to write a Jason/Carly story however he wants.  We are going to get the same old Carly is Smart&Brave and Always Wins show we have always had, just with better dialogue.  I find it is better to set low expectations.  If I am wrong, then I get to be pleasantly surprised.  If I am right, then I can only hope that the Jason/Carly crapfest won't eat the entire show and Mulcahey will expend at least a little effort on improving the subplots.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5