Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

On 8/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, dubbel zout said:

Can they please start writing Finn and Elizabeth as adults? I'm so tired of the grade-school level crap we're getting.

Still an episode or two behind but -

The envelope scenes with Deena, Liz and Finn brought smiles to  my face.  I enjoy watching actors who rise above the script/scenes and that is what Liz, Finn, Laura - heck most of the veterans do - day in and day out.  Ava and Roho have been extremely enjoyable to watch dance around for the past couple of months waiting for their characters to finally have their plot - front and center (and after all this waffling - they might get a couple of episode to shine before the writing/screen time tip back to the mob boss and the mean queen of Port Charles.

The stuff that I can't abide by is the gaslighting (e.g., Michael splaining that his mother spiraling in and out of CHAOS  when Sonny died). 

However, much like Nina was at one time Sonny's whisperer, it seems that Kristina is doing the same with Michael.  Fingers are crossed that it continues as siblings.  The guy grew up with father/brother figures of a mob kingpin and his enforcer so Michael does need to evolve - and not as a Carly Jr.  And I am fine with Michael doing some office work but what was with Willow complementing that Michael is being 'devious' for picking up the slack while Ned and Drew are unable to work? It's what most people do naturally when their co-workers (let alone relatives) are ill or unable to perform their normal functions.  

It also seems like Sam is trying to find her way.  Fingers are crossed.

Cody and Brooklyn gel together much better than Chase and Brooklyn.  Sasha should have been the one stuck with Michael as she has more of a backbone than Willow.  But I am pleased that this age-group is starting to get its act together. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Yes, let's drag Connie into things, because slagging on a cousin who had the nerve to want to do more than stay in Bensonhurst is the worst thing someone could do. 

I can't really blame Olivia in the case of her cousin.  Kate/Connie carried so much self-hatred back then.  She rejected her Italian ancestry, her working-class roots, and even her own family.  It's understandable to me why Olivia would be so hurt by that.  It's ok to want to leave your home for bigger and better things, but that doesn't mean you have to show so much shame and ugliness towards your identity.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lala2 said:

Portia is awful!

She was dreadful today.  She's willing to make her daughter miserable all because she has deemed Spencer as 'evil.'  Jesus, now somehow it's his fault that Curtis was shot?  If she's truly worried about Spencer's connection to Sonny then she should also be concerned with Trina hanging around with Joss, who's dating Sonny's bodyguard.  But, this isn't about Sonny, so I'm sure she's fine with that.  God, she's the worst. 

The Olivia/Carly scenes were vomit-worthy.  Prostrate yourself a bit more Olivia, I don't think you've sufficiently apologized to the Queen of Port Charles.

• Like 6
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 8
  • Love 3

When Marshall and Curtis were playing GoFish, Marshall asked Curtis for 8's, then set down four 8's ...but then they showed his hand and he still had a 5th 8 in it! What kind of monster cheats his paralyzed son!! I bet Carly will stop by and discover Marshall's shady dealings!! - sorry, still looking for anything to be entertained by. 

Can't believe this is how they are wasting what will probably be NC's last year with the show. 

PS. How is throwing an axe a safe activity for someone with unstable motor control?! Gregory could have chopped his leg up.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, lala2 said:

Did Sam go there too?

She went there on a date with Dante.  I don't recall any other time.

From the photos the other day:  I don't think Mason is any more of a cousin to Austin than I am.  When Mason was first introduced, they used "cousin" to explain why he was hanging around with Austin.

Does Olivia think that bra-less, spandex slingshot of a dress is work-appropriate? 

• LOL 5
8 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

She was dreadful today.  She's willing to make her daughter miserable all because she has deemed Spencer as 'evil.'  Jesus, now somehow it's his fault that Curtis was shot?  If she's truly worried about Spencer's connection to Sonny then she should also be concerned with Trina hanging around with Joss, who's dating Sonny's bodyguard.  But, this isn't about Sonny, so I'm sure she's fine with that.  God, she's the worst. 

That's like when she came into the show and decided that Ava was the worst and that Trina couldn't be around her because she was dangerous, but was okay with Trina hanging out at Sonny's house and being around Sonny, even though her ex-husband tried to bring Sonny and his criminal enterprise down in the past.

Portia is a hypocrite and an all around shitty person. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sorry, but it should be "Olivia and me." ("I" can't be the object of a preposition, "between.") 

which makes me wonder - there are always SO MANY grammar errors in the dialogue - I've always wondered if it is the writers or actors doing that.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

which makes me wonder - there are always SO MANY grammar errors in the dialogue - I've always wondered if it is the writers or actors doing that.

I’m sure it’s a little of both. A lot of native English speakers write or say what sounds correct in their head and it’s not always what is grammatically correct.  

• Like 4

These Kristina scenes with Alexis and the solo scenes she had a few days ago with Sonny are the first times I’m buying her as Kristina and not as a completely different character. I think it was mainly Molly and Sam bringing her down for me. Kate Mansi was having trouble connecting with those actresses. 

• Like 6

Bartender when Carly asked for a beer:  "I had you figured for a glass." Carly: "You figured wrong." [subtext: I'm trashier than I look.]

Eddie hitting on Carly was totally cringe, and not in an entertaining way. Carly stepping on his foot "Thought I saw a roach" was funny.

I am so tired of Curtis whining that he'll never be able to walk again. First, there are new developments in spinal cord injuries all the time so no, he may walk again. Second, it's disrespectful to people who really are in wheelchairs and handling it with grace and dignity.

Oh, look at Portia and Trina both blaming themselves for what happened to Curtis.

Trina and Joss wearing cutoff shorts to go to the hospital would horrify my mother.

Does Michael know that Valentin is back taking charge of ELQ?

Why would Pikeman want to shoot Sonny, they're working with him? Why would they want to kill Anna?

Did anyone not guess that Maxie is going to move into Lulu's house?

Anyone here tried axe-throwing? Is it really that much fun?

3 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think it was mainly Molly and Sam bringing her down for me. Kate Mansi was having trouble connecting with those actresses. 

Both nunuMolly and Sam were over the top bitchy to Kristina.  The actresses should have played subtext.

Today's scenes with Alexis and Kristina were nice.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Both nunuMolly and Sam were over the top bitchy to Kristina.  The actresses should have played subtext.

That’s exactly it and tbh, it’s an ongoing weak point of Kelly Monaco that I’ve noticed. She needs to play layers and soften things when she’s fighting with her loved ones and she never does. It made Sam seriously unlikeable during Alexis’ alcoholism storyline. I think she should take some tips from NLG in that area because she’s been pretty good at softening those types of scenes with her daughters if that makes any sense. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Bartender when Carly asked for a beer:  "I had you figured for a glass." Carly: "You figured wrong." [subtext: I'm trashier than I look.]

LOL that drinking beer from a glass instead of the bottle is the height of class. And of course Eddie hits on Carly.

I am so tired of Curtis whining that he'll never be able to walk again. First, there are new developments in spinal cord injuries all the time so no, he may walk again. Second, it's disrespectful to people who really are in wheelchairs and handling it with grace and dignity.

I know. At this point I'm ready for him to have his miracle recovery so I don't have to listen to his endless pity party a second longer. 

It cracked me up that Kristina was watching "To Catch a Killer" wearing a serial-killer facial mask. Nice intentional humor for a change.

• Like 9
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Everyone is acting as if Curtis is going to rehab in another country and they'll never see him again.

I resent that I'm supposed to feel sorry for Curtis when we've seen nor heard nothing of him trying to improve. I don't need or expect him to be Pollyanna about being paralyzed, but all he's done is whine.

49 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Oh, look at Portia and Trina both blaming themselves for what happened to Curtis.

Fine. It's all their fault. I'm sure Curtis will be relieved to hear that, since it gives him another reason to pout.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Eddie hitting on Carly was totally cringe, and not in an entertaining way. Carly stepping on his foot "Thought I saw a roach" was funny.

Trina and Joss wearing cutoff shorts to go to the hospital would horrify my mother.

Does Michael know that Valentin is back taking charge of ELQ?

Why would Pikeman want to shoot Sonny, they're working with him? Why would they want to kill Anna?

Did anyone not guess that Maxie is going to move into Lulu's house?

Anyone here tried axe-throwing? Is it really that much fun?

I just tried it this week!  I loved it actually!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Portia is the worst. 

The writers sure are bending over backwards to not have meaningful Trina/Spencer scenes. Yet, we get every second of Joss/Dex. I still think TIIC aren’t happy Sprina went viral with the leap and Joss/Dex can’t generate the same.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

I know that the actress who plays Trina is popular with a lot of posters but I just haven’t been able to accept her in this role. Her constant hoarseness and hesitancy while speaking just turns me off.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
On 8/9/2023 at 8:31 PM, Tenshinhan said:

I can't really blame Olivia in the case of her cousin.  Kate/Connie carried so much self-hatred back then.  She rejected her Italian ancestry, her working-class roots, and even her own family.  It's understandable to me why Olivia would be so hurt by that.  It's ok to want to leave your home for bigger and better things, but that doesn't mean you have to show so much shame and ugliness towards your identity.

I can, especially after all these years and close to a decade since Kate was murdered by her youngest son's half aunt. I saw that scene and it was judgmental mean girls shit and not familial anger. Of course she did it with the biggest mean girl there is, Carly, a raging hypocrite whose entry story into GH was hiding her original identity to drive Bobbie to despair.  And nice Olivia "outed" Kate at her wedding, even though the groom, Sonny (the asshole who should have cleared it with Kate instead of inviting Olivia behind Kate's back.) knew, so the real damage would have been to her career that she carefully cultivated. Also in light of the huge recon that Kate was r*ped before she went to Princeton, maybe she wanted to bury her past because of trauma. Honestly, f*ck Olivia. Kate could have easily out Olivia's Dante/Sonny secret at anytime, but didn't. That is a far bigger deal than Kate hiding her working class roots to get a head in the fashion world. Kate should have really given everything to Maxie.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

I heard there's an ax throwing business that just started up here. I'm afraid if I went, I'd get addicted and go every day. It looks like an awesome way to release stress.

I think the staring contest with Austin and Cyrus was the most interesting thing happening this week, because it's the most unpredictable.

I just can't hate Cyrus. IDC if he takes out half the town.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

With all of Curtis's angsting about his paralysis, my new nickname for him is "Million-Dollar Manbaby." 

Ignoring the fact that there's already an over-under on how long he'll stay in the wheelchair, I'm sure TPTB thought this storyline would generate lots of feels for the character of Curtis. If they hadn't  written him as a self-righteous prick for so long, it might have worked. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 9
9 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I heard there's an ax throwing business that just started up here. I'm afraid if I went, I'd get addicted and go every day. It looks like an awesome way to release stress.

With my lack of coordination, I'd probably drop it on my foot lol!

As for Curtis' whining about being paralyzed, I can understand it. I'd likely be wallowing in self pity as well. Everyone is telling him he'll never walk again, that there's absolutely no chance. For a man who's always been active, this has to be a huge blow. But as others have said, the character has become such a total hypocrite that I just can't muster any sympathy for him. And him pushing everyone away is already old. Then again, Portia is just as much of a hypocrite so maybe they do belong together. Can it please be off screen?

• Like 10
9 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I'm uncoordinated enough that I'd be afraid I'd end up throwing the axe into me rather than the target.

4 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Everyone is telling him he'll never walk again, that there's absolutely no chance.

They aren't, though. They're telling him he has to accept his new situation, which may or may not include walking again. Curtis is the only one saying he'll never walk again, after doing next to no physical therapy.

4 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

I grew up with 'Insert name and I' grammar. 'Me' always sounds wrong to me :)

Sometimes "I" is correct. The easy way to know what's right is to take out the other name(s): If "I" doesn't work, the correct pronoun is "me."

Examples:

She gave the tickets to Sally and I. Take out Sally: It should be "me" here.

David and me went to the store. Take out David: It should  be "I" here.

Professional writers should know this grade-school grammar rule. It's not hard at all.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

A good rule of thumb on that one is to take out “the other’s person name and” and just say the sentence with me or I. Whatever is correct there is grammatically correct. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
7 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

Both are correct in different circumstances. For example, "Fishsanwitt and I went fishing" but "Fishsanwitt wants to talk to me.' General rule is to reverse it: 'Me wants to talk' is wrong, just as 'I and Fish' is also wrong.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

A good rule of thumb on that one is to take out “the other’s person name and” and just say the sentence with me or I. Whatever is correct there is grammatically correct. 

That’s how I always remember it as well!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I really liked the writers' trick today of having it be night for everyone and seeing what they are doing, from Liz and Finn working the overnight shift, to Anna being stalked, to Eddie, Carly and Olivia being arrested. It's something different than the show's usual and highlights even more how bankrupt the regular writers are.

What happened to the Highsider's bouncer? Is he only around when Joss and Trina visit?

Why wasn't Mason arrested too? And put in jail at last.

Am I supposed to believe that this is the first time that Sonny has left Nina in the middle of the night? And that she's so clueless that she's not aware that she's sleeping with a mob boss? This over the top insecurity is out of character.

I laughed at Sonny's eyeroll when Carly said that she wouldn't go with him. She's like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum.

5 hours ago, rur said:

Ignoring the fact that there's already an over-under on how long he'll stay in the wheelchair, I'm sure TPTB thought this storyline would generate lots of feels for the character of Curtis. If they hadn't  written him as a self-righteous prick for so long, it might have worked.

It was already bad enough when he was healthy. But since he's been shot it's been an endless mope and rejection of everyone who wants to help him.

And Portia accusing Spencer's relatives of causing it isn't helping.

• Like 7

The thing about Portia telling Spencer Curtis is paralyzed because someone was trying to shoot Spencer's Uncle Sonny is that; her daughter is best friends with a Mob-adjacent Joss, AND her daughter hangs out with one of Sonny's henchmen, Joss' boyfriend.

Honestly, if they don't have someone read that bitch from here to kingdom come this isn't gonna work for me. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I really liked the writers' trick today of having it be night for everyone and seeing what they are doing

They usually don't keep the same time frame—it's dinner time for some people and the middle of the night for others—so yes, the consistency made it much more interesting (not to mention logical).

Since everyone at the PCPD was over 18, why did they need to be signed out by someone? Especially since no charges were being filed? So dumb. And Olivia, shut up about Bensonhurst and your brothers. No one cares. It's no threat at all in Port Charles.

Finn is only now thinking about a guardian for Violet? Way to be a responsible parent. This is something the show could do a real service about, making sure people have wills and end-of-life plans, POA, health proxies, etc. It's okay to admit it's kind of maudlin. But it's incredibly important, and once it's done, you can forget about it for the most part. 

Instead, the show acts as if even thinking about this stuff means you're going to drop dead tomorrow. Unless you believe in the Secret, that's very unlikely to happen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And Olivia, shut up about Bensonhurst and your brothers. No one cares. It's no threat at all in Port Charles.

And those bars don't even exist in Bensonhurst anymore. It's not the 'good old days' and it's not a Family neighborhood anymore. Although if Olivia is really jonesing for the old neighborhood, I'll buy her a one-way plane ticket. But she has to promise to never come back!

So Anna opens the door to the house, finds it engulfed in flames and...just stands there watching it burn? 🙄

Why was she out for a run when it was 'so late' that everyone in town was already in bed?

Why was the side door unlocked so the bad guy could just waltz right in? 

Why doesn't she have security cameras in the house?

So many questions...

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

Anna thinks there's someone out to kill her. Anna goes out for a run while it's dark, not exactly wearing clothing a person should wear in the dark while they're running in the street.

I think Valentin is the one who burned down her house. If whoever wanted to kill Anna wanted to kill her, they could have set her place on fire while she was asleep in it. But this person was stalking her and waiting for her to leave the house before they set it ablaze.

Thank you, writers, for confirming that Carly has no one outside the Carlys. Got no friends, keeps calling her daughter who is probably busy banging her bobblehead boyfriend.

I got the impression that Finn might be on his way out.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I got the impression that Finn might be on his way out.

Would they do that with Gregory already with a death sentence? It felt to me like  pushing the Finn/Liz relationship although as @dubbel zout pointed out, this is something that a parent should have done very early on even before Finn got into a relationship with Liz. Not to mention, Liz does make the most sense as she is Violet's aunt, has children herself, and Chase is in a dangerous job.

Carly does have Olivia to call to get her out of jail but Olivia was arrested too.  Sam would have done it too but I don't think that Chase told Dante that Carly was there.  And Joss would probably think it a sign of honour that she was in a bar brawl.

But Carly remains her own worst enemy. So what if Sonny signs her out? It doesn't mean that she owes him anything now.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why wasn't Mason arrested too?

He told Austin he ducked out the back when he heard the sirens coming.  

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

the show acts as if even thinking about this stuff means you're going to drop dead tomorrow.

Some people actually believe that, for example my in laws.  You can't talk about death, dying, making a will, nothing like that because if the words come out of your mouth, you will be struck dead.  You also can't celebrate your birthday before the actual day otherwise you will be struck dead, I think because you're being greedy.  It's a thing.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Lol was Carly’s 20 year old daughter really her only option to bail her out?

Well, Bobbie is "out of town" and she didn't want to "wake up Michael at this hour."  but she could have called Diane or Trish the Metrocourt hostess.  They just wanted us to feel badly for her that she doesn't have Drew and refuses Sonny's help.  

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think Valentin is the one who burned down her house.

Me too.  I love him but with Victor gone, they need someone to be the villain, and I think they're turning him back into that.  Plus the shoes just made me think it was him.  Plus with her house burned down, she can move in with him, wherever he lives.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Carly does have Olivia to call to get her out of jail but Olivia was arrested too. 

But once Dante signed and released Olivia coudn't she have turned around and signed out Carly?  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

But once Dante signed and released Olivia coudn't she have turned around and signed out Carly?  

This is GH!  Logic has no place here!

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

I kept thinking the backlight went out on my TV! 

Fiz should have been the sex scene, on the roof, cuz I swear those two are going from flirty to boring already ~AGAIN~ before they even throw down. 

PS. Of course Anna goes running alone, at night, in all black, wearing slip on casuals, when she knows someone is trying to kill her. 🙄 

• Like 5

Anna is running in the middle of the night, knowing she has someone targeting her while others are sleeping because???

Because great things always happen in dark trails in middle of the night. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2