Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

That was horrible.  An episode I wish I could unsee. So much Carlys propping.

All the Carlys telling Willow that it's she's been a part of the family for a long time -- yes, she really fits into the cult.

Carly's dress would have been nice on a Caribbean beach. Inappropriate for the mother-of-the-bride/matron of honour/giver away.

I wish I looked as healthy as Willow does.

Why does Ned need to help Olivia in the kitchen?  The Quartermaines have staff and there can't be more than a dozen people at that very elaborate wedding. This is all so very stupid.

This was awful. The Ice Princess/Demeter was just filler for the wedding of Carlys. Save James, Nina and her grandchildren, Liesl. maybe Bailey, and let the virus do it's work on the rest of PC.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

The outfits so far were bad. Joss is in FLDS/Mormon chic, Carly in her tropical vacay dress, Sasha looks like a kindergarten teacher and Maxie was dressed for a funeral. Even if I fanwank that no one had time to shop before this wedding because of the late notice, there’s no way they didn’t all have at least 1 wedding appropriate dress in their closet from some previous event. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

That happens only when Nina is her around. She becomes very frail whenever Nina shows up.

Thank god Carly is never more than a millisecond away to come storming in and save the damsel in distress.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 8
6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

That happens only when Nina is her around. She becomes very frail whenever Nina shows up.

I thought Nina would show up, if only to longingly peek through the window.

Back to insider trading, is it less of a crime if the people involved lose their shirts rather than making a profit?

Edited by ciarra
  • Useful 1

MB's tone when Sonny asked Nina why she was talking to her lawyer was too accusatory for me. Nina runs a business. She can talk to her lawyer whenever she damn wants. I find MB does that a lot. What he's saying isn't a problem; it's how he says it.

Why is it a shock to Anna and Robert that Victor's plan is fatal? It's almost as if they don't know him at all.

"If anyone can save Willow, it's Drew." Ugh, they're not even pretending to care about Dr. Body Parts. So gross.

30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly's dress would have been nice on a Caribbean beach. Inappropriate for the mother-of-the-bride/matron of honour/giver away.

I didn't mind Carly's dress, but I thought Joss's was awful. Very Little House on the Prairie. The men are in regular suits, so I don't see why the women have to be fancier.

I think Luke would have tolerated Willow at best. She's way too insipid for his tastes.

Just wait until you decide to disagree with Carly, Willow, Then we'll see how much like family you are.

Victor, don't threaten Obrecht, the only person who can check the pathogen. Killing her is cutting off your nose to spite your face, you dope.

2 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Back to insider trading, is it less of a crime if the people involved lose their shirts rather than making a profit?

No, because the crime is about using inside information, not whether it works. I think a profit might affect the sentencing, but that's probably it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ciarra said:

No, but it’s probably not something anyone would care to report or that the SEC would flag as suspicious if they lost money. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think a profit might affect the sentencing, but that's probably it.

I suppose the other stockholders might have a beef, since this manipulation caused the stock to drop.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
Just now, ciarra said:

I suppose the other stockholders might have a beef, since this manipulation caused the stock to drop.

That is true considering the stock dropped not because the merger didn’t go through but because some bigger investors saw the obvious stock inflation going on and got out early. They essentially were able to screw Carly before she could screw them over by selling her large stake at a huge profit and causing the stock price to drop. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

My internet was down for half the show - apparently a blessing.

It was nice of Victor to provide his hostages with coats 🙄. Not a fan of NC’s current acting choices, but oh well.

I muted everything about the wedding but it looked like the bride (are we supposed to think she has a wig on? That was a lot of hair) was wearing a ready for the bedroom negligee, her bridal party was dressed for a summer outing and the groom’s side, for a funeral the men didn’t bother to shave to attend.

Not even MW and CW could save the day. And who is styling MW right now because her hair looked dry and black roots were showing and her earrings didn’t go with her blouse.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Fingers crossed he'll return to PC in a body bag.

Also, give me a break that Carly is in love with him. 

If that’s supposed to be true, they’ve done a terrible job of selling it because not once have I seen that Carly genuinely considers him as anything more than good support and someone who just happens to be there to fulfill the Sonny/Jason sized hole in her life. It’s it even their lack of chemistry, actual dialogue as well. We’ve seen some from Drew but none from her. 

• Like 11
4 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

As an OG Carly lover, all the current Carly worship is so bizarre to me. I loved SJB's Carly, who was the town pariah and couldn't walk 5 feet without someone telling her how awful she was. This is an entirely different character.  Whom I loathe.

Fandom worship has also taken its toll on this character for me. I can't even enjoy Carly for the shitty person she is, among other fans cos most of them act like she's a heroine who's grown up when she hasn't. It's just no one calls her out for being a bullish, selectively moral jackass anymore. And that's not factoring in the obnoxious ones that act like Carly didn't do anything wrong a day in her life. I just....really can't stand those people. 

I'm in the process of re-watching SJBs Carly and even back then(I guess this is when Guza took over) she was allowed to steamroll a bit too much for my taste to convey narrative balance. Against Bobbie, the Q's and most certainly A.J & Tony. People she had dicked over had to walk on eggshells around her before and after baby Michael was kidnapped. If anyone did call her out she either projected her shit onto them(while getting the last word) or the person rightfully dragging her was made to look like an asshole, busybody, maniac, or an imbecile. Sometimes all of the above scary enough. Carly all but gave Bobbie her ass to kiss even when she tried to help her bitch ass with her post-partum. 

In spite of all this, miraculously enough, I don't hate her 100%(mostly to do with SJB, TB, & early LW days) but a spade is damn spade. And her character clearly fucking sucks if it has to be catered to this much, for this long. 

Edited by Skarzero
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Willow has said not one word about Liesl herself in this whole kidnapping, only about the fact that Liesl is not there to save her live. And now that Liesl isn't in the room to remind Willow that her one ask was to communicate with Nina, Willow has completely shut Nina out.

that's not true.  She wouldn't be human if she didn't care that Liesel's absence pretty much means her death, but the first thing she said was concern about Maxie and even Nina.

57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

that's not true.  She wouldn't be human if she didn't care that Liesel's absence pretty much means her death, but the first thing she said was concern about Maxie and even Nina.

It is also the last thing she said about Liesl as a person and not body parts.

To be fair, Willow also doesn't seen to care about Ace being kidnapped or Esme losing her baby. Willow's heart seems to be all for show these days.

I find that very elaborate wedding gross. It's not about Willow being married to Michael at last  as she keeps saying, it's about the spectacle and showing off. I'm surprised that they haven't brought in a reporter and photographer from The Invader to take pictures for the next edition.

3 hours ago, ciarra said:

No. But the schadenfreude is sweeter.

2 hours ago, ciarra said:

This is who really should be going to the SEC to investigate Aurora, not Nina but the people who lost large amounts of money when the stock crashed. But then the show couldn't blame Nina.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

This is who really should be going to the SEC to investigate Aurora, not Nina but the people who lost large amounts of money when the stock crashed. But then the show couldn't blame Nina.

I can't remember exactly why the stock crashed, but i don't think it was because Carly bought stock.  

17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

To be fair, Willow also doesn't seen to care about Ace being kidnapped or Esme losing her baby. Willow's heart seems to be all for show these days.

They're not related to her, though. And she's never met either of them.

Frankly, I find the general reaction of Leisl's family a bit underwhelming. The only one who has shown concern is Nina and even then, the concern has been tied a lot more to Willow's survival.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

It occurs to me that there is no mob villain right now - Victor is it.  That's been a nice break.  I did not even notice it until now.  And I guess it's been since the "Mike" days in Nixon Falls (took me a minute to come up with the name of the town lol). 

There's SOMEONE out there, apparently, because they're the ones that took out a hit on Sonny a few days ago (in GH time). 

I don't necessarily think it's Pikeman baddies, because why wouldn't they want their shipment thing to go smoothly? But speaking of Pikeman, it's so weird that Michael is supposedly seeing Willow's point about inviting Sonny to the wedding as a step toward keeping the family together on the one hand, while on the other he's setting Sonny up to go to prison for years.

So, literally, it's "Come to my wedding today, for tonight you shall be arrested, mwa ha ha."

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Oh yeah the Pikeman deal. Didn't Sonny sort of tell Nina that they can't see each other for a while until that got resolved. So even if Sonny could bring her as a plus one, they weren't going to be going together.

As for Tracy's arrival and the Qs reaction to her, this is the same thing they do to her each time she returns. She picks on someone in the group and they trade barbs while the others gang up on her and rib her as well. It is all for laughs.

Luke would have loved Willow? Yeah no. Luke would have HATED Willow. Or at least not had any use for her. She has no agency. She’s pathetic. And Luke held people like that in contempt. He probably would have called her  weeping Willow or some other derogatory name.

so Willow feels like a Spencer? And always wanted a family like these horrible women? In that case, maybe Nina is better off without Willow in her life. 

Does wardrobe just not have any idea how to dress Joss? Her nurses ball dress was better suited for a 30-40 year old and the floral thing she’s wearing to the wedding would look better on a 14 year old. Plus it fit her all wrong. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Oh yeah the Pikeman deal. Didn't Sonny sort of tell Nina that they can't see each other for a while until that got resolved. So even if Sonny could bring her as a plus one, they weren't going to be going together.

The Pikeman thing is supposed to go down "tonight," but IIRC Sonny and Nina were staying apart because of the attempted hit. He also put extra security in place for other family members. Of course today he goes waltzing off to a family wedding with his young daughter in tow. <shrug>

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I can't remember exactly why the stock crashed, but i don't think it was because Carly bought stock.  

It was indirectly. She was pumping money into Aurora to help the stock price look more attractive for the merger (which is also illegal) and then the stock price started climbing even more because others saw the price steadily increasing and probably thought it was a good buy. Drew said the price crashed because some of the other investors saw the stock manipulation that was going on and sold so they could get out early. Carly couldn’t sell before the stock bottomed out because she was so busy bragging about all the things she would do with her new fortune that she neglected to answer her money manager’s call until it was too late. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Not to go too much into history on the Episode thread, but it would be refreshing if Nina and Willow could sit down -- once Willow gets miracle'd up -- and discuss the fact that they are essentially the same age, thanks to Nina being asleep for 20-odd years.

The show always deals with the babyless aspect of her history, but the actual thing about going from being a pampered heiress/doctor's wife to a (admittedly still rich) person without a friend in the world is a rich back story they haven't fully tapped. 

• Like 12

Not sure where to ask this, but did anyone on the show mention Maxie's new hair in between planning Millow's wedding?

I feel bad for the KS- I know she couldn't change her hair color without permission from EP and other higher-ups.  To me, it looks like she is either channeling Wednesday Adams or a stylist used an inferior hair dye. I want more for the KS than that.  If she's going to change her hair color, do it properly. I would think FV would want it too.

• Like 3

When Bobbie walked into the cottage with Donna and said it was time for Willow to "become one of us" I really expected her to be dragging a goat in to slaughter and have Willow drink the blood while they stood in a circle around her and chanted "one of us, one of us."  Seriously, show, go to hell with this ridiculous family.  And, bwahahahahaha that Luke would've loved Willow.  He would've been quipping how insipid and helpless she was every chance he got.

Other thoughts:

I'm glad Spencer was provided with brand new Adidas while being held captive.  Never sacrifice looking fashionable!

Good luck getting those cufflinks back, Dante.  Once something gets sucked into the Carlys vacuum it's never coming out.

Why does ES say all her lines as if she's delivering gossip at a tea party? 

Lastly, I'm on the edge of my seat about the peonies shortage!  If there aren't peonies at this WEDDING TO END ALL WEDDINGS will it even count?  Victor might as well release the pathogen because I don't want to live in a world without peonies at the WEDDING TO END ALL WEDDINGS.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4

Oh Nina, Willow will never forgive her for this. Not that Carly doesn't deserve it but this was a ridiculously stupid move if her goal is to care and have a relationship with Nina or the kids. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

To me, it looks like she is either channeling Wednesday Adams

It took me a long second to even recognize who she even was when she showed up at the door.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ciarra said:

I thought Nina would show up, if only to longingly peek through the window.

I haven’t watched yet because my dvr is acting up but color me shocked she didn’t make a last minute appearance.  I was sure she would be there so well done show for actually surprising me.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why is it a shock to Anna and Robert that Victor's plan is fatal? It's almost as if they don't know him at all.

I would be more shocked if his plan DIDN’T involve mass homicide.  Come on you two, you’re smarter than that (I think). 

• Like 5

This wedding would be 1,000 times more fabulous if the writers just cribbed from that one scene from Coming to America. “Willow, what do you like?”, “Whatever you like!”, “What’s your favorite food?”, “Whatever your favorite food is Michael”, “Okay hop on one leg and bark like a dog”, now okay I guess that part might be a little mean to someone supposedly dying of leukemia but seriously that’s about the level of personality Willow has. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

I haven’t watched yet because my dvr is acting up but color me shocked she didn’t make a last minute appearance.

The way things are going, Nina still has about a month to show up at the wedding ceremony and look sad. 

I had visions of LWB popping up out of that bunker freezer.  It looked like the same one Finn and Liz put him in.

Will Sonny and Carly end up together in PCPD lockup?  Him for the Pikeman deal, her for insider trading?   Will there be paddy wagon sex?

Edited by ciarra
  • LOL 10
3 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Like that's going to stop Sonny's sperm.

This show wants us to think all the women are in their forties - Mac last year was wondering if Felicia was pregnant. 

Hell, let's just have Tracy pregnant then!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

Oh Nina, Willow will never forgive her for this. Not that Carly doesn't deserve it but this was a ridiculously stupid move if her goal is to care and have a relationship with Nina or the kids. 

It's about evening the scales. Carly does something, therefore her enemy must do something worst.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

The money that was spent on that painting by the window in the Qs living room looks like it features bird droppings would have been better spent on providing Liesel with something more than latex gloves for protection against a pathogen capable of destroying millions. 

Edited by sunnyface
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, Artsda said:

If Nina had shown she gives up and knows she will never have a relationship with Willow, then it would make more sense.  Blaming that on Carly. 

Also how is Nina the only one who knows this happened?  The SEC would never do anything without this tip?  

In the long run, they are going to end up like Alexis and Sam.  Carly being Nina's friend and all that jazz.  So it feels like it is ginned up.  Maybe the writers realize that the not telling about Sonny isn't enough bad action.  

And that Carly is guilty isn't even a factor.  We're not supposed to notice that. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, ljr said:

I didn't see the original ice princess story. What does a necklace have to do with something to kill the population? 

I believe it contained the coordinates to the particular bunker that contained the virus

• Useful 3

This week has been really hard to watch.  I watch on Hulu, and I think I had ten minutes.  I fast forwarded every single scene with Willow and Carly.  That was most of the show.  I have become a bigger Nina fan than I realized.  Maybe it's because of Cynthia's performance which is so layered and touching.  I don't know, I'm drawn to her.  And I feel like there's just nothing for Nina fans.  Just nothing.  They never should have had her reporting Carly and Drew, it should have been Tracy or Valentine.  This wedding feels like it will never end.  

I did have a nice laugh when Spencer walked into that room and said "what a dump!" or something like that.  The line reading made me laugh.  But there really has been very little for me this week.  Scraps. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

I have become a bigger Nina fan than I realized.  Maybe it's because of Cynthia's performance which is so layered and touching.  I don't know, I'm drawn to her.  And I feel like there's just nothing for Nina fans.  Just nothing. 

It's like the show knows that there is no story for Carly so they've manufactured this feud with Nina.  But it's not even a true feud, because Nina never gets to win.  The writers think they've got a Viki/Dorian when it's really Wyle E Coyote and the Roadrunner.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Cheyanne11 said:

It's like the show knows that there is no story for Carly so they've manufactured this feud with Nina.  But it's not even a true feud, because Nina never gets to win.  The writers think they've got a Viki/Dorian when it's really Wyle E Coyote and the Roadrunner.  

I get shades of Sonny/Jason always having mob enemies who we were told were worse than them and we know would never win. They’re trying to convince the audience that Carly is a great person but instead of writing her as a decent person, they have Nina doing dumb things while everyone in Carly’s life lives up her ass. We’re supposed to think Carly is amazing because Michael, Willow and Joss do (also ignoring that they’re all terrible and selfish people themselves)

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

Carly was set up as the heroine of this show long ago and much to it's detriment. She's not a good person, she's not even a mostly good person who sometimes does bad things, she's just awful. And she has zero character growth and no friends and I know we're supposed to believe that she and Jason were the bestest friends ever! But even he barely tolerated her most of the time. Meanwhile Nina actually has shown growth as a character, she has good friendships with people (even people who by all rights shouldn't like her), and has made Sonny tolerable which by itself is a Festivus miracle! So of course she has to be taken down a notch by doing something not even stupid, but bad by the metrics of this show where evil wins and good is dumb. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
  • Love 3