Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, lala2 said:

And she was messing with Todd around that time too IRC. 

You may be correct; I know that LW has worked with Howarth twice, when Carly was sort of paired with Todd, and then she was engaged to Franco when she thought he was her dead bestie's twin brother. That was before the writers decided that Franco would be Scott and Heather's son instead.

As for the wedding, what was the deal with Portia's dad and brother leaving before she threw the bouquet, and Trina returned? Did I miss that they had to go somewhere urgently?

Portia's fine with Trina missing the bouquet moment because "I don't want Trina catching the bouqet." Seriously, give up thinking that you have control over your adult daughter's life. Sure, Trina and Spencer are into each other and have had a rocky history. Yet they're being honest with each other, which is more than you can say about your relationship with your now husband. And of course Portia seems to think that Trina's text to Joss means Trina wanted some alone time with that bad influence  Spencer.

I really liked Stella's line to Spencer that this is a family matter and he's not family, when he mentioned secrets. It's a great callback to Spencer very recently asking Trina to leave the hospital chapel so he could talk with his grandmother and father about a  "family matter."   VW did a great job with Stella answering yet not answering Trina's questions and then the hug. 

Ava and Nina shimmying as Marshall played on stage was the best part of the wedding!  Also, I think hell froze over when Sonny expressed gratitude to Ava for being a good friend to Nina, and seemed genuinely friendly to her.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

It may be tacky for Portia to be getting married with a WTD secret, but it's still not as tacky as that extra wearing a white dress that looked pretty bridal to the wedding! Seriously has Sonny's mafia started smuggling weed gummy bears and the wardrobe team ate them all? 

Sonny and Nina were cute (what is wrong with me???) as were Spencer and Trina (although leave Stella alone Trina! What is it with this family and their inability to take no as an answer? If Trina wanted to be a busybody she could have used those skills to spill a glass of Cabernet on the extra wearing white instead)

If you're talking about the guest in a spaghetti strap gown I don't think her gown is white. On my TV it looks like a pale mint. Which would be more suited to a summer wedding. In the 1980s.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Today I finally realized that I have absolutely no interest in this wedding, the bride, the groom, that daughter, Stella and especially Drew the Toastmaster. Boring, boring. This is the last thing a wedding should be. 

• Like 10

Isn't there some other secret going on that Stella is keeping that involves Marshall? Like maybe Curtis was gonna be Stella's son or something. Didn't Stella fake faint at one point to draw attention away from it. I can't even keep track of this shht anymore!!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/11/2023 at 12:30 PM, Daisy said:

is he? I thought it was his brother.

No, it's Austin, although it's pretty much been dropped since the Leo/diagnosis storyline. Now he pretty much just reads as "eccentric," but they were heavily hinting at Asperger's.

• Like 1

"Is the secret that my mom had an affair with Curtis *20 years ago*?"  Oh, Trina, so so close!  You're red hot, right there!  If Portia confesses that she "doesn't know for sure" to Trina tomorrow, I am going to both rage and roll my eyes at the typical stupidity of this show.  Because, sure, why wouldn't a doctor have found out that info for certain as soon as the kid was born?

Speaking of dumb, Sam needing name-addled townfolk to put the pieces of the 2 PIECE puzzle together for her that the barkeep's secret was that she's the nanny.  I guess Spinelli's magical keyboard really does do all the heavy lifting in her PI skills.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 2/14/2023 at 6:19 AM, standbyme said:

I get depressed whenever I see the official gh instagram comments, because they're all clamoring for the return of pre-Nina Sonny.  But Sonny today is charming, and happy, and makes reasoned, logical decisions.  

I've thankfully managed to miss out on this as I only use Instagram to follow about 50 cats, a few dogs, and a couple of barnyard animals (watching baby goats wearing pajamas will make even the worst day better).  I think if I looked at comments about GH anywhere other than this board it would cause my eyes to roll directly out of my head. Pre-Nina flailing jazz hands rageaholic Sonny was the worst. 

Sam and Dante are dumb. 

I break out into a cold sweat anytime I hear Sonny reference his sister or Spencer mention his mother. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
On 2/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, sashabear21 said:

Did the wardrobe team go on strike before filming this wedding? Terri, Nina, and Molly were the only ones who looked decent. Joss's dress looked like it came off a Forever 21 clearance rack and was the wrong size, Trina's dress looked unfinished, and Liz and Ava both looked like they were headed to the after party at Studio 54. Also are we supposed to be entertained by the lowest stakes WTD storyline in the history of soaps?

Joss is a brat and Spencer shouldn't have apologized to her. Someone needs to smack her on the back of the head and tell her to stop rolling her eyes and pull up her damn dress. 

Sam and Dante are boring and there's nothing more embarrassing than watching Americans try to pretend to be British but watching Dante try a British accent and get a right bollocking for his efforts would be more entertaining than watching him and Sam talking and trying to pretend they like each other. 

Still confounded these days by how much I don't hate Sonny anymore. 

Sonny is likable in the same sense that Thornton Mellon made himself look thin.  Sonny is surrounded by utter assholes, amd has had the good sense to not go out of his way to one himself.

4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Today I finally realized that I have absolutely no interest in this wedding, the bride, the groom, that daughter, Stella and especially Drew the Toastmaster. Boring, boring. This is the last thing a wedding should be. 

Yes, it was the most boringest wedding ever.

• Like 3

Trina walking into the wedding behaving like a brat makes her for sure perfect for Spencer and related to Stella.

I do hope she stays Taggerts just to prove Detective Jordan running all over town declaring her Curtis's because of some GH version of Ancestry DNA wrong. Jordan and now Stella have problem lying about the divorce papers to this day. Jordan and Stella both being wrong would be great, they both can go.

I enjoyed the wedding parts, Portia telling Curtis not to smash the cake on her face, the overall family and fun event of it all. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Suicidy said:

Sonny is likable in the same sense that Thornton Mellon made himself look thin.  Sonny is surrounded by utter assholes, amd has had the good sense to not go out of his way to one himself.

I guess I'll be the party of one still loathing Sonny as much as I have the last few years. Sonny has always, to me anyway, been able to be charming in certain settings and with certain people, but he's still a hypocritical thug who somehow thinks he can pick and choose who he can look down on and still thinks his crimes should be forgiven because of his "code."

53 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I do hope she stays Taggerts just to prove Detective Jordan running all over town declaring her Curtis's because of some GH version of Ancestry DNA wrong. Jordan and now Stella have problem lying about the divorce papers to this day. Jordan and Stella both being wrong would be great, they both can go.

Jordan has never declared Trina was Curtis's. She doesn't know for sure because Portia has never said. She's always advised Portia to tell Curtis that it's a possibility. Maybe Jordan wouldn't have been running around playing detective about if Curtis is the daddy if Portia would put on her big girl panties and admit the truth, or if she had bothered to find out who the father of her child was. The show tried to make it seem suspenseful about whether Portia would admit the truth at the altar, but I knew she was too much of a coward for that. More than Jordan or Stella, it would actually serve Portia right if Trina turned out to be Taggert. All that lying and worrying for years and all for nothing.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Because, sure, why wouldn't a doctor have found out that info for certain as soon as the kid was born?

I can kinda sorta understand this a little.  Portia has the affair.  Curtis finds out she's married and dumps her.  Taggert finds out about the affair and they break up.  Somewhere in there she's pregnant.  It could be either guys' baby but it serves her better to have it be Taggert's.  Taggert turns out to be an excellent father to his daughter and Curtis is not in the picture, not even in town, so she sticks her head in the sand and accepts Taggert as the baby daddy for 20 years. 

The problem comes when she runs into Curtis in PC and they start up their relationship.  Curtis even point blank asked her if it was possible for Trina to be his and she denied, denied, denied.  At that point, she should have gotten tested, for her own piece of mind, especially when the schizophrenia issues with marshall came up.  Why put that much worry on you when a simple test would determine if Trina needed to worry about that gene. 

So I understand not saying anything and messing up the father/daughter relationship for years, but more recently, yeah, she should have taken her head out of her butt and gotten tested  

2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

It's the Tan O'Malley. 

You win the internet today!!

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

I can kinda sorta understand this a little.  Portia has the affair.  Curtis finds out she's married and dumps her.  Taggert finds out about the affair and they break up.  Somewhere in there she's pregnant.  It could be either guys' baby but it serves her better to have it be Taggert's. 

I thought that Taggert and Portia got divorced when Trina was a kid--so that means they didn't break up over the affair. Plus, I do remember Show saying it was his cop and undercover work that ultimately was the reason for the divorce (and the affair, too), I think.

Then again, this shitshow keeps retconning stuff, so what was revealed originally is no longer "canon" as far as Frank, O'Connor, and his hacks are concerned.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Portia's fine with Trina missing the bouquet moment because "I don't want Trina catching the bouqet."

FFS, it's not as if catching to bouquet means you have to get married. GOD. The antediluvian attitudes this show has toward women is so gross.

11 hours ago, nilyank said:

Hmm that bar in Ireland

I thought Sam and Dante were in Devon (England), not that this show cares about geography.

9 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Yes, it was the most boringest wedding ever.

Followed by the most boringest reception ever. I can't even root for Trina to confront Portia, because I DON'T CARE. (#KeepTrinaTaggert's, though.) I still haven't warmed up to TA, and I don't think I will.

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

At that point, she should have gotten tested, for her own piece of mind, especially when the schizophrenia issues with marshall came up. 

Speaking of Marshall's schizophrenia issues, has he heard about the test results yet? I know he finally decided to do it, and I'd think knowing that Curtis has not one of the multiple markers would give him some comfort that at least he didn't pass it on. Ugh, another story I couldn't care less about, since the show gives us all sizzle and no steak. TFGH.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 4

Stella is just dumb.  She should have just gone and officiated.  Her not going raises a lot of red flags.  Spencer's point was a general one, so it had nothing to do with intruding into the family matter.  Trying not to tell Trina when it was obvious there was something to tell - just dumb.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

Spencer's point was a general one, so it had nothing to do with intruding into the family matter.

I did like how respectful he was to Stella, immediately apologizing for overstepping--and then offering to leave so they could discuss in private.  

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

Stella is just dumb.  She should have just gone and officiated.  Her not going raises a lot of red flags. 

Actually, I respect Stella for not officiating at a wedding she had moral reservations over. She has the right to refuse. Trina is the dumb one. Barging in on someone who said she was sick to berate her for not being at the wedding? Where does Trina get off?

This whole story is galactically stupid, of course, and the stakes are low, as is usual with this fakakta show.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Quick wedding question, and I know this is from last week (I am a few days behind)....  anyway, why was Portia so shocked that her father and brother showed up at the wedding as a surprise from Curtis?  Why hadn't she invited them herself if they were able to attend?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Speaking of Marshall's schizophrenia issues, has he heard about the test results yet?

I think I remember him saying that he wouldn't know by the wedding day, so I'll go with no.

18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Actually, I respect Stella for not officiating at a wedding she had moral reservations over. She has the right to refuse.

I completely agree.  It may not be her business if they get married, but she doesn't have to facilitate it.

17 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

Quick wedding question, and I know this is from last week (I am a few days behind)....  anyway, why was Portia so shocked that her father and brother showed up at the wedding as a surprise from Curtis?  Why hadn't she invited them herself if they were able to attend?

Her mother has some long-term sickness and they are her caregivers.  Curtis hired someone to take care of her for the wedding so they could come.

On another note, Portia's squealing at everything is driving me nuts.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Her mother has some long-term sickness and they are her caregivers.  Curtis hired someone to take care of her for the wedding so they could come.

stupid plot point writing - Portia could have easily arranged that herself; or, her father the doctor could have made that happen.....

• Like 7

Okay, so I am not crazy. This is from Dec. 2021...

Spoiler

General Hospital (GH) spoilers tease that Stella Henry (Vernee Watson) could be hiding a birth mother bombshell. Curtis Ashford (Donnell Turner) might be Stella’s secret son with Marshall Ashford (Robert Gossett), General Hospital spoilers say Marshall and Stella’s true connection will be exposed down the road. 

By down the road, I am guessing they mean in the new millennium. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

That was before they decided that Marshall's secret was that he was schizophrenic.  

16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Why did there need to be a mother in long term care in the first place?  They could have just had dad and brother show up from wherever without the excuse that Curtis did something to help them get there.  Especially since they weren't sticking around longer than 3 episodes.  Seemed rather convoluted writing when it wasn't necessary and there are 7899 other stories in progress that need extra writing.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:
19 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

That was before they decided that Marshall's secret was that he was schizophrenic.

With this show, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

ANOTHER parental switch? STAAAAAHHHPP. Does it really matter that Stella could be Curtis's mom instead of his aunt? His mom is dead, and Stella appeared to be a very present influence in his life anyway.

• Fire 2

Oh god, I just realized that we’re probably going to have Drew playing host at the Nurses Ball. Hopefully they skip the mic because his game show host voice at this reception is distractingly loud. 

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

No, it's Austin, although it's pretty much been dropped since the Leo/diagnosis storyline. Now he pretty much just reads as "eccentric," but they were heavily hinting at Asperger's.

Austin said it was his brother. Of course it’s moot since they completely dropped it.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Oh god, I just realized that we’re probably going to have Drew playing host at the Nurses Ball. Hopefully they skip the mic because his game show host voice at this reception is distractingly loud. 

Ugh, you're probably right, especially with Lucy "dead." Well, here's hoping Drew ends up in his underwear. It's only fair.

• LOL 9
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Yeah, Stella telling Trina "it's not my secre t to tell, but it's big, and affects you and Curtis, and you should ask your mom" is not really keeping the secret. 

The rationalizations both she and Jordan create, so they can lead people riiiiiiiiiiight up to the information, but avoid actually saying the words, as if that makes them honorable or something. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
25 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Yes, the wedding was boring, but at least Carly wasn't the bride.  Again.

That week long Jarly wedding where nothing interesting happened and we had to witness characters who hate Carly talk about how amazing that couple was might have been the worst thing this show has aired in 60 years

• Like 6
  • Fire 2

President Biden will deliver remarks at 2pm ET on the Chinese spy balloon and related unknown objects so the show will likely either be partially or fully preempted for the 2pm telecast, assuming ABC broadcasts his remarks

• Useful 3
26 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

That week long Jarly wedding where nothing interesting happened and we had to witness characters who hate Carly talk about how amazing that couple was might have been the worst thing this show has aired in 60 years

🤢🤢

So glad I was on the Barge and missed it. Which wedding was this again? The 1456789101112?

I know everyone raves about NAC and while I do agree that he’s a strong actor, I think AP is the most talented of the younger group. She can plays layers and different emotions that the rest of them haven’t demonstrated yet. It’s been especially evident since Esme got amnesia. She’s an entirely new persona and I honestly don’t think the rest of that younger group would be able to pull this off. Heck, a lot of the older cast couldn’t do it 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I know everyone raves about NAC and while I do agree that he’s a strong actor, I think AP is the most talented of the younger group. She can plays layers and different emotions that the rest of them haven’t demonstrated yet. It’s been especially evident since Esme got amnesia. She’s an entirely new persona and I honestly don’t think the rest of that younger group would be able to pull this off. Heck, a lot of the older cast couldn’t do it 

oh i agree. like 1A/1B for me, it's sort of why i am glad they are trying to humanize her (and my hope is when she gets her memory back it just makes her grey). she's murdered and everything but again i think that can really be worked on that ryan really preyed on her emotions  etc (cultish behaviour etc)  it doesn't excuse it of course but it can put her in a different angle

• Like 7

A for effort, but the "reveal" really falls flat. 
It also has no punch because we actually "don't know" outside of the genealogy thingy, which could still mean nothing. so ehhh. 

I do give credit for Spencer basically answering the basic question of "We went to Stellas, but I'm not family, it doesn't concern me, back off." lol

• Like 9
26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

A for effort, but the "reveal" really falls flat. 

I disagree, because for the first time I saw the "fire" in nuTrina that I haven't seen since Sydney Mikayla left the role of Trina. The mental anguish she showed, and then the rage came in waves with every word that Portia said to excuse/justify lying to her and both Marcus and Curtis for 20 years. My favorite Trina part was her exploding "You're a doctor!!!" in a tone that I interpreted as: are you f-ing serious you self-absorbed delusional twit. 

Was this supposed to be a Friday cliffhanger episode? Because both potential baby daddies in the doorway as Trina's storming out, Mac knocked out by Ryan, and Ryan face-to-face with his two obsessions at Wydemere (awesome!!) seems like a Friday episode to me.  Although Dante's "I'm confused" look instead of shock/horror when Maggie finally spit out "Ryan Chamberlain" did nothing for me. 

The only genuinely romantic Valentine's Day moment I've seen so far was Mac and Felicia being lovey, and the mentions of both Robert and Anna were good too.

ETA: President Biden's remarks only took out a few minutes of the show

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4

Lol why was Joss at this wedding? They had her fluctuate between third wheeling Spencer/Trina and snarking at Spencer. When they were busy, she was basically an extra. I’d assume that they are trying to use up the actresses guarantees but she’s on a lot. They didn’t have discount Jason on with her except for that 1 scene.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Bringonthedrama said:

My favorite Trina part was her exploding "You're a doctor!!!" in a tone that I interpreted as: are you f-ing serious you self-absorbed delusional twit. 

LOL that was awesome

I just mean more of.. the reveal is flat, because we really don't know. we're just knowing that Portia lied, which is okay finally, but we've gone through this with Chase, Finn & Jackie. if they were going to drop this bomb, at least drop it with all the facts.

• Like 5
Just now, ffwbe said:

Lol why was Joss at this wedding? They had her fluctuate between third wheeling Spencer/Trina and snarking at Spencer. 

She was also walking around to the guests with a video device, asking people to look into the camera and record well wishes/advice for the bride and groom. I guess Trina asked her to do it? Unclear.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Good for Spencer, not spilling the beans when three big adult men hone in on him.

JL is brilliant at playing crazy Ryan. The last look as the show ended was so much fun.

Sam and Dante telling Maggie that they want to help Esme -- talk about a half truth. The only reason Sam started looking for Maggie was to nail Esme for the sex tape.

I assume that Joss is at the wedding because she is Trina's best friend and Portia probably wanted to invite the whole world to it. And also to snark at Spencer because that seems to be something everyone must do.

Were Terry and Yuri the only couple who genuinely had a good time at that wedding?

4 hours ago, MarciNJ said:

why was Portia so shocked that her father and brother showed up at the wedding as a surprise from Curtis?  Why hadn't she invited them herself if they were able to attend?

It's so stupid that she created this fairy tale wedding for herself and didn't think to get a caregiver so that her father and brother could come. Or even just one of them.  I'm pretty sure that her doctor father is not with her mother 24/7.

56 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I know everyone raves about NAC and while I do agree that he’s a strong actor, I think AP is the most talented of the younger group. She can plays layers and different emotions that the rest of them haven’t demonstrated yet.

I'd say that both are very good. AP was marvellous today with the horror of seeing Ryan stab the guard, and then having Ryan tell her that he is her father, something no one wants to hear.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

I have to say, Ava opening the door to let Felicia out and Ryan just standing there looking disheveled and evily, scared the crap out of me!  I literally gasped and had to rewind to get the expereince again.  Giant kudos to Jon Lindstrom who has been rocking this since they brought Heather back, but no more so than in the past few days, dealing with Heather and than Esme.  Plus he gets two for the price of one with not only Ava but Felicia being there as well.  Though I call shenanigans if he's able to get the drop on both of them, while one handed.  Felicia should know every karate and jitsu move ever invented and Ava fights like an alley cat.  

There is absolutely no way that Esme is faking the amnesia.  Her reaction to everything today, from Ryan stabbing the guard and dragging him away to crying when Ryan tells her he's her father to trying to fight off Heather who's trying to keep her quiet, all of it shows desperation from a girl who's completely freaked out.  Also, if none of this throws her into labour, I dont' know what would!!

I was surprised at how quickly Portia told the truth.  I thought she'd string Trina along a little longer.  The men showing up at the end should make things even more intersting.  

• Like 13

LOL at Trina giving Portia the stink-eye. I appreciate one properly deployed.

Ugh, I wish Maggie had told Dante and Sam to go fuck themselves.

Too bad Curtis couldn't see Mac and Felicia being so reasonable and mature about keeping secrets.

I guess Trina didn't know the exact timing of the affair, but you'd think she'd have wondered about it at some point. At least the penny finally dropped. But seeing as Portia doesn't know who Trina's bio dad is, it's another flat balloon of a reveal. I did like Portia opening the door to the guys. That and Ava opening the door to Ryan were nicely soapy.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1