Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

So I’m a few days late  on the Jasam breakup conversation but wanted to put in my two cents.  I haven’t really watched the show since 2017 but I have followed along some on here and twitter. When is I saw that Jasam were actually going to split I decided to actually watch the scenes. All I could think while watching them was seriously this is why Dream was drop kicked off the face of the earth, so we  could have 3 years of whatever the heck it was TPTB were going for the last three years with Jasam? This was preferable to the triangle that was handed to them on a silver platter? 
Seriously WTH was this? Like I’ve said I haven’t watched, but have Jason and Sam really even been together? First Sam choose Jason but wasn’t ready to be with him, next they were together but had to put the breaks on so Sam could setup her own assault and get a tramp stamp. Than there was Sam in jail and Sam on parole. I had no desire to see a return to Jasam when Sbu came back but you would think if you’re going to completely eliminate one person from the equation like they did with Drew they would have gone all in with Jason and Sam given them a wedding or something. Again I just don’t get what the heck they were going for.

As far as the reasons for the breakup  this would have made sense 3 years ago now it just seems like lazy writing. Sam had a life free from danger, she had a life where her kids didn’t have to feel embarrassed by guards or their “scary” father. She had a man who treated her as the most important thing in the world and she drop kicked it for a man who she knew would never put her first and would never fight for her or her kids. Now 3 years later the danger and Jason’s complete disinterest in being a father are this deal breaker for her? The infuriating thing too is their giving Sam this dialogue about danger and Jason not being around but refuse to let her have dialogue about the fact that Drew did all the things Jason refuses to do. As someone said though their never going to paint St Jasus in a bad light and heavens knows the most important thing here is Jason won against Drew. I’ll seriously never get over how Sbu’s entire return was basically written as a vehicle for LW and Mo to get to play “neener neener you’re not Jason” to BM. 

As far as how long this breakup lasts on the one hand I just don’t know where they park Sam if not with Jason. On the other hand this break up to me kinda played like someone with obvious authority was like “put this thing out of its misery”. I guess you could say there have been some hints this was coming with Kristina’s and Alexis’s truths to Sam about her relationship with Jason but you also had Sam selling out her own kids and willing to do just about anything to undermine her parole officer so she could be with Jason so to have her now decide to end things does make me wonder if this is less about story and more about the right people finally realizing this pairing needed to be done. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I can't stand precocious children like Violet. I did not miss her during her hiatus.

Finn is extra. Your anger at your dad has nothing to do with him getting married soon after your mother died. Your anger is because you boinked his wife to be less than 24 hours before he was set to marry her. Why don't you put on your big boy pants, Finn, and own up to it and stop making your poor father feel worse than he should. 

So Laura is going back to being catatonic. Of course, shady doctor will drug someone who isn't all there. Did something in her fake ass chart said that she needed to be drugged?

I hate Carly, but LW when she is being a non-cuddly mother is at her best, I find.

Also, Jordan, way to assume that Carly knew about Taggert. Port Charles has the collective IQ of a dung beetle.

Fake flashback with Trina and Taggert. *yawn*

I don't remember what else.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Sam/Dante yuk!  I would rather them bring back Brenda. Honestly Dante can be HOT!  Bring on someone Dante could be HOT with, maybe we will have to wait for post COVID for that though.

I don't mind Violet, she is sweet but not overly saccharine to me. 

Why didn't they just send a wig-on-a-stick with a hidden microphone into the hospital 😉  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Does someone running this show think that it's cute to have Curtis play all these roles of different people while detecting? The terrible Spanish was bad enough (not to mention the misogyny of Curtis ragging on "his assistant" Jordan) but his pretending to be a doctor to put Laura in the home was all kinds of cringeworthy.  There was nothing anywhere realistic about either Curtis or his story or the facility with the head doctor who was willing to welcome someone without previous arrangements and give her an injection without examining her. And by the way, Kevin can't be Laura's doctor because sleeping with your patient means losing your license, as Alexis will tell you.

Joss insisting that she can't tell Carly that she couldn't tell her who told Trina that her father is alive was idiotic. Sadly Joss appears to have inherited her brains from her father who can be incredibly stupid.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Joss insisting that she can't tell Carly that she couldn't tell her who told Trina that her father is alive was idiotic. Sadly Joss appears to have inherited her brains from her father who can be incredibly stupid.

Carly is literally telling  Joss that it is dangerous for Trina's search for her dad and she doesn't want to say who told Trina that Taggert was alive when the someone is Cyrus. Who kidnapped Trina and Cam, shot at Sonny, Mike, Carly, Taggert to name a few.

No one believes that Cyrus is a misunderstood philantropist who was framed for being a big time drug dealer including Joss.

Dumb for being dumb sakes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Does someone running this show think that it's cute to have Curtis play all these roles of different people while detecting? The terrible Spanish was bad enough (not to mention the misogyny of Curtis ragging on "his assistant" Jordan) but his pretending to be a doctor to put Laura in the home was all kinds of cringeworthy. 

He also keeps giving out his real name. I don't know if it's for the sake of plot point, but Curtis is coming off as extremely stupid.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does someone running this show think that it's cute to have Curtis play all these roles of different people while detecting? The terrible Spanish was bad enough (not to mention the misogyny of Curtis ragging on "his assistant" Jordan) but his pretending to be a doctor to put Laura in the home was all kinds of cringeworthy.  There was nothing anywhere realistic about either Curtis or his story or the facility with the head doctor who was willing to welcome someone without previous arrangements and give her an injection without examining her. And by the way, Kevin can't be Laura's doctor because sleeping with your patient means losing your license, as Alexis will tell you.

The show hasn’t attempted to do a realistic portrayal of PIs in years when you look at Sam’s attempts. They think it means playing dress up and lying to break into places. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I liked Valentin and Martin bonding over evil relatives. It seemed like the beginnings of a beautiful friendship. Between this and Tracy and Obrecht yesterday, my subtle villainy card is being ticked.

The actress playing Violet can memorize dialogue, unlike the boy playing Rocco so I understand why they want to (over)use her. What bugs me is the attitude that "what Violet wants, Violet gets". It was passable when Finn was first delighted in having a daughter but it's getting old now.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does someone running this show think that it's cute to have Curtis play all these roles of different people while detecting? The terrible Spanish was bad enough (not to mention the misogyny of Curtis ragging on "his assistant" Jordan) but his pretending to be a doctor to put Laura in the home was all kinds of cringeworthy. 

The actor who plays Curtis has said on several occasions that he wants to be "the Black Luke Spencer." These ill-conceived stunts seem to be the writers' way of accommodating him, b/c Luke often did the same kind of lame-ass impersonations. But he was never: a) dumb enough to use his real name; or b) reckless enough to put someone in serious jeopardy. Hopefully Laura doesn't relapse from whatever is in the syringe and goes back to being an actual wig-on-a-stick again.

• Useful 3
5 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Hopefully Laura doesn't relapse from whatever is in the syringe and goes back to being an actual wig-on-a-stick again.

The show ended with that doctor holding the syringe up and then getting ready to inject Laura. I have a feeling she'll stop him from actually doing it. But, we'll see.

This whole subplot of Finn shutting down whenever his father shows up has passed its Expiration Date. Didn't they make up after Finn was shot? And seriously, what's his deal with Gonzo? Finn was the one who slept with his step-mama to be the night before she married his father. And if the constant "I know you're not good with emotions" mantra is true, he sure managed it with Anna and Violet. It's all so stupid. Finn isn't 12 years old.

The only thing I enjoyed was Trina by herself and the scenes with Valentin and Tad Sanders. Who'dathunk?

Boy does Cameron have a swiss cheese memory. I suppose both he and Joss just forgot how they thought Jake was dead, but he came back alive. Or Lucky. Oh, wait. Can't mention Lucky cuz he's the deadest of the deadbeat dads.

Again. Surprised that lightning didn't strike the SheBeast dead while she railed at her spawn.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, those scenes with Anna, Finn, and Violet were torture. All the scenes with Violet were torture. They really overdo the adorable with her.

I think she is adorable, but the poor thing is just begging for the first hair cut of her life. She’s starting to look like a sister wife. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

What bugs me is the attitude that "what Violet wants, Violet gets". It was passable when Finn was first delighted in having a daughter but it's getting old now.

Finn needs to take a look at Spencer to see how that turns out. It's not cute or precious. Spencer is a turd.

Edited by dubbel zout
belated spelling correction
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Regarding Trina, Cam and Joc looking into Taggert's death, none of them have twigged to the possibility that Taggert is in hiding and Cyrus told Trina her father was alive in order to draw him out. Not even Carly suggested that obvious possibility to Joc and she knows the guy is alive and in hiding. I do like the 3 kids together though even if they are going about this investigation a little cluelessly.

Tracy is certainly being a bit evil with getting Alexis arrested on a DUI, but Alexis wasn't helping herself by refusing a breathalyzer test.

And in regards to Alexis, I know it's bad when someone falls off the wagon, but unlike Sam, I don't think I would have harassed or threatened Alexis just for drinking. I would have gently suggested she be careful and not drink and drive, put the grandkids in danger, or otherwise embarrassed herself or anyone else by getting into a public fight or embarrassing situation while drunk. And I probably would have gently indicated there would be consequences if one of those things happened. But Sam just goes full force Tiger Mom on Alexis the second she falls off the wagon when she should have started more gently

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, DanaK said:

but Alexis wasn't helping herself by refusing a breathalyzer test.

That's the one thing Show got right in how long? One can refuse to take a breathalyzer. It's all Plot!, but Chase really had no grounds to arrest her or ask her to take the test, as all his questions were based on what Tracy said. He didn't, as he could have, made her walk a line, touch her nose, etc. Nope. Oh, look, her car is on the side of the road. That's it! She was driving drunk. He could have said, I smell alcohol on your breath, so that's why I'm arresting you on suspicion. But nope. It's all because of what Tracy said.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

How does Sam kicking Jason out of the fahmily keep the kids safe?   Won't Jason still get some sort of visitation with Danny?  Do bad guys suddenly forget that Sam and the kids are important to Jason, and will leave them alone?

• Love 1
Just now, ciarra said:

How does Sam kicking Jason out of the fahmily keep the kids safe?   Won't Jason still get some sort of visitation with Danny?  Do bad guys suddenly forget that Sam and the kids are important to Jason, and will leave them alone?

I doubt Jason will come around for visitation. I will be shocked if he does.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The show ended with that doctor holding the syringe up and then getting ready to inject Laura. I have a feeling she'll stop him from actually doing it. But, we'll see.

This whole subplot of Finn shutting down whenever his father shows up has passed its Expiration Date. Didn't they make up after Finn was shot? And seriously, what's his deal with Gonzo? Finn was the one who slept with his step-mama to be the night before she married his father. And if the constant "I know you're not good with emotions" mantra is true, he sure managed it with Anna and Violet. It's all so stupid. Finn isn't 12 years old.

The only thing I enjoyed was Trina by herself and the scenes with Valentin and Tad Sanders. Who'dathunk?

Boy does Cameron have a swiss cheese memory. I suppose both he and Joss just forgot how they thought Jake was dead, but he came back alive. Or Lucky. Oh, wait. Can't mention Lucky cuz he's the deadest of the deadbeat dads.

Again. Surprised that lightning didn't strike the SheBeast dead while she railed at her spawn.

It looks like Iron. Why in the world did the set people make the fluid brown? The most it will do is burn her vein. 

I don’t mind when Carly sets Joss straight. I would be more horrified if Carly expected Joss to be like her. 

14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I doubt Jason will come around for visitation. I will be shocked if he does.

It's terrible that Jason has more loyalty to Sonny and Carly than his own family. Of course, it's terrible that the show writes these gangsters as the good guys

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

It looks like Iron. Why in the world did the set people make the fluid brown? The most it will do is burn her vein.

So that it's Obviously Teh Evul. A clear liquid wouldn't look nearly as scary.

41 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Tracy is certainly being a bit evil with getting Alexis arrested on a DUI, but Alexis wasn't helping herself by refusing a breathalyzer test.

With three drinks (I think that's what she said she drank) she probably would have tested over the legal limit with a breathalyzer anyway. Maybe she thought that she had a better chance at fighting the charge if she refused to be tested roadside.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's the one thing Show got right in how long? One can refuse to take a breathalyzer. It's all Plot!, but Chase really had no grounds to arrest her or ask her to take the test, as all his questions were based on what Tracy said. He didn't, as he could have, made her walk a line, touch her nose, etc. Nope. 

He tried to have Alexis follow his pen with her eyes, but she refused. I think it's a safe bet that she was going to refuse everything else.

8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

With three drinks (I think that's what she said she drank) she probably would have tested over the legal limit with a breathalyzer anyway. Maybe she thought that she had a better chance at fighting the charge if she refused to be tested roadside.

Alexis drank her three drinks because she knew she wasn't driving. And she knows she wasn't driving. So I can see her digging her heels in because she knows that Tracy did her dirty.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I do like the 3 kids together though even if they are going about this investigation a little cluelessly.

I like that the kid are a little clueless. They should be—they're high schoolers. Granted, they sometimes have more smarts than the grownups, but in this case, it's fitting they don't.

• Love 4

Some of the things I'm really liking about the show lately:

- Nic and Ava have stopped fighting and admitted they love each other, but they aren't quite saints either. They've got a good chemistry together

- The relationship between the 3 teens Trina, Cam and Joc. I'm glad they dropped kicked Dev; he wasn't working for me. The actress playing Trina especially is a find. I wish they would make her more front and center; it does help they brought her mom on board and her dad is Taggert.

- Trina's chemistry with Ava is great too and it softens Ava somewhat

- Genie Francis as Laura returned to the show after her apparent pandemic hiatus and it's nice she has a front-burner storyline

- The chemistry and interaction between Alexis and Valentine. More please

• Love 13

Does this show have more than 3 or 4 poorly dressed sets? I understand budget constraints and Covid protocols, but seeing the Metro Court and that non-descript room with a single table in some unnamed coffee shop every. single. day. is getting...sad.

Also, if it’s a budget issue, why did they spend money destroying the Quartermaine den by putting up ugly wood paneling? 

Edited by Stinger97
  • Love 1

Today on Paraphrase Hospital....

Joss:  Cyrus says Taggert is alive.  He's a lying liar, amirite?

Carly:  Sometimes parents do things for their children that not an easy thing to do 

Joss:  So......Taggert's alive???

Carly:  Nope, no, niet, no, no, nope, no siree

Ghost Duke, Ghost Connie (OG Connie of the wonderful hair), Conscience Alexis:  Julian, you're a terrible person, drop dead.

Julian:  Ok, I mean, the writers could have had me head out of town, to come back at a later date, but death it is.

Britt:  Ryan has regained conscience but his brain is mush

Me;; Yeah right, heard that one before

• LOL 8

So is Julian dead? I thought the ticket for Montreal was funny since that's where WdV is originally from. Honestly, I would have preferred he escaped Sonny and Jason, but at the same time, him dying is like a middle finger to them and their plans, so I will take it. I'm petty that way. 

Now the whole world knows that Taggert is alive. 

Ava's rant at Ryan will likely come back to bite her in the ass. 

• Love 4

I love when Laura and Curtis team up. They make good buddies and Genie really sparks in these scenes. 

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I like that the kid are a little clueless. They should be—they're high schoolers. Granted, they sometimes have more smarts than the grownups, but in this case, it's fitting they don't.

I like it, too. I used to roll my eyes at the ridiculously adult speech of Dawson’s Creek. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And it's OG Kate Howard, Megan Ward!

Which surprised me because they just had Ava remember/flashback to shooting Connie about a week ago, and it was KS so it seemed odd to bring in MW for this cameo.  

25 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So is Julian dead?

Looked like it to me.  They all told him to drop dead, he tilted his head to the side and dropped the bus ticket.  I took that to mean he's dead and it will foil SaSon's plans when they find him.  

30 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So is Julian dead?

Ugh, no because he was in scenes for tomorrow. 

You get the feeling that Frank told the writers to make sure Julian's death is a long and drawn out as possible so when he finally kicks the bucket there is no chance of resurrection. Oh my god, die already. Even Mike eventually died.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Which surprised me because they just had Ava remember/flashback to shooting Connie about a week ago, and it was KS so it seemed odd to bring in MW for this cameo.   

I don't care because I preferred MW's Kate. I hated her split personality storyline line. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I love when Laura and Curtis team up. They make good buddies and Genie really sparks in these scenes. 

Yes, he is much more interesting with her than with Jordan. Or Sam. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Wow, I have zero recollection of that.  Shows how quickly I purge this show from my brain's hard drive.  But big YES for OG Kate! 

Me when Duke first showed up: Oh, for fuck's sake, another person back from the dead!

Me when it was revealed Duke was the Ghost of Julian's Past: Ah, OK, this is acceptable, I suppose.

I did want Julian to say to Alexis "Wait, when did you die?"

And outing myself as 106 years old, but Josslyn, when you refer to your friend's dead/not dead father, show some damned respect and don't just call him by his last name. 

Oh, look, it's Brick again.  Great.  OTOH, at least it wasn't Spinelli.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

Jason: [Secaucus] is right across the river [from Manhattan] it'll take no time to get there.

Unless there's traffic, construction, etc etc. Then it'll take 12 hours!

I was thinking the same thing! In fact, I even said to my TV: yeah okay. Just try to get through the Lincoln Tunnel or the GWB in ‘no time.’ AND they’re in Brooklyn. So they’re either going through Staten Island or Manhattan. Either way you’re looking at at least an hour. Unless they’ve got a helicopter. Maybe it can land in the parking lot of Ceasar’s Bay and then drop them at the Meadowlands 🤣

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

Jason: [Secaucus] is right across the river [from Manhattan] it'll take no time to get there.

Unless there's traffic, construction, etc etc. Then it'll take 12 hours!

I know! Writers never lived in NYC. There is traffic ALL THE TIME. I lived near the GWB and all I heard all day long was cars honking, like traffic was going to move any faster.

Jason sounds like a moron 24/7.

• Love 4

I had to check my calendar that it wasn't December 24th with all the ghosts visiting Julian. Great to see them again though.

Why are Sonny and Julian Jason so determined to go after Julian? Shouldn't they be going after Cyrus instead? Julian was just the stooge.

What exactly is Curtis and Laura's plan? To interrogate a comatose Florence Grey?  As much as I dislike Spinelli, they would be better having him hack Florence's files.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Wow, I have zero recollection of that.  Shows how quickly I purge this show from my brain's hard drive.  But big YES for OG Kate! 

Me when Duke first showed up: Oh, for fuck's sake, another person back from the dead!

Me when it was revealed Duke was the Ghost of Julian's Past: Ah, OK, this is acceptable, I suppose.

I did want Julian to say to Alexis "Wait, when did you die?"

And outing myself as 106 years old, but Josslyn, when you refer to your friend's dead/not dead father, show some damned respect and don't just call him by his last name. 

Oh, look, it's Brick again.  Great.  OTOH, at least it wasn't Spinelli.

This bugs me so much. 

Every kid calls every adult by their name and i am like ..... my mama would be having words with y'all 98x over.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I dunno.  I was happy to see Dewk.  And I never liked Duke.  And I thought of how much better he was with Anna than Finn.  But then I realized that Jules was just hallucinating Duke, and then I was sad again. 

Poor Kate/Connie, having to wear the bloodstained dress...again.  Duke got to be all cleaned up and dapper, why couldn't they put Connie in something that didn't look like a Heinz factory blew up?

On 12/12/2020 at 6:40 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

Hilarious. MEK is really the only actor who should play Col. Sanders in the commercials.

Or movies. Producers of the Horndog Colonel Sanders flick missed a golden opportunity by casting Mario Lopez instead of Tad.

On 12/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, dubbel zout said:

"New York City, New York." Oh, Show. If you have "City," you don't need the state. They can't get anything right.

They should just label it “New York City, New York State” to avoid any confusion. Lean into it, Show.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:33 PM, ffwbe said:

The show hasn’t attempted to do a realistic portrayal of PIs in years when you look at Sam’s attempts. They think it means playing dress up and lying to break into places. 

All while wearing 10” stiletto boots. Can’t beat the boots for stealthiness and speed, as has been proven countless times. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I know! Writers never lived in NYC. There is traffic ALL THE TIME. I lived near the GWB and all I heard all day long was cars honking, like traffic was going to move any faster.

Jason sounds like a moron 24/7.

Most of the writers are in NYC, that's the ridiculous thing.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

Megan Ward! Bring her back somehow, Show. I don't care if it isn't as Connie/Kate (who got wrecked when KS took over).   

Clonazepam was the big cliffhanger? <snort> Maybe if she started taking large amounts of it every day for years, she could join a support group and meet Stevie Nicks, but I don't think the injection alone was going to send her into wig-on-a-stick territory. Nice suspense, though, with the visual of the liquid with brake-fluid coloration.  

When Josslyn rhetorically asked what kind of parent would fake their death, were we supposed to be thinking about Carly having done this when Michael was little? I know her car accident was legitimate, but then she stayed away and let everyone worry about her and get to the point of having her funeral. Jason later did some digging and found out she'd been suckin' on a chili dog outside the Tastee Freez in a neighboring town.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ulkis said:
9 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Most of the writers are in NYC, that's the ridiculous thing

We’re probably supposed to believe Jason knows nothing of NYC traffic since he’s from a small upstate town. Sonny grew up in Brooklyn. Even just a throwaway line like ‘it’s rush hour so we better get moving’ would have been nice. But I guess that would lessen the ‘suspense’ or something 🙄

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Everyone calls him Taggert, though, so I don't think it's so disrespectful.

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:
On 12/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, dubbel zout said:

"New York City, New York." Oh, Show. If you have "City," you don't need the state. They can't get anything right.

They should just label it “New York City, New York State” to avoid any confusion. Lean into it, Show.

LOL! Why not?

5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Jason later did some digging and found out she'd been suckin' on a chili dog outside the Tastee Freez in a neighboring town.

Did that really happen????🤣😂

ETA: Just caught it - "a little ditty about Jack & Diane. Two American kids doing the best they can" LOL.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2