Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E09: Boy Band & Girl Group Night

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, vdw84 said:

choreograph dance training that she wasnt good at, it was hiphop and she struggled with it. All the girls had the choreograph training on GMA but when it comes down to real training, real ringer type sh*t Ally doesnt fit the bill. The only experience Ally truly has from being in the group is stage performance u can tell that but her dance training, nope.

11 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

He's an obvious ringer? How so? Because he's good? Because his mom owned a dance studio? Not seeing the obvious here.

Honestly, the closest I think anyone is to being a ringer this season is Hannah. I don't include Ally. Just because someone is in a boy band/girl band and has done choreography doesn't mean they're a ringer - at least not IMO. The kind of dancing those groups do is not the same as ballroom. Do those contestants (and other contestants like Kate who did some dancing in college) have a leg up on those who never danced professionally whatsoever - sure - still doesn't make them a ringer.

I think (what I know about Hannah is just from here) is she did have years of dance training but I'm not sure for how long, how long ago it was, and what type of dancing. To me, I don't feel like she comes across as an obvious ringer because she's not miles away from the other contestants in terms of ability.

11 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Ally is not a ringer like Normani.  Girl group/boy band choreography is like musical theater choreography.  You just follow and you don't really need to have good technique.  You just need to be synchronized.  Plus the steps are simple. 

I think Hannah has dance training as a child so her lines are better especially with ballroom.  But I thought she would be like Alexis Ren and would suffer with Latin dances.  At first, she was like that and appeared too smiley but she's improved and her technique is better too.  I think James has some training too but only as a kid.  I don't think there's any ringers like a Jordan, Corbin, Nicole, etc. this season.

I still remember Joey McIntyre being accused of being a ringer back in S1. The argument was that he was a professional dancer with all this dance experience because he was in NKOTB. My counterargument was uh, have you seen the "dancing" they did in NKOTB? Those were not complex dance moves.

His level of experience was about the same as girls who took dance classes when they were little (like before high school). Yes, it gives them a slight advantage because they were exposed to moving their bodies and learning short routines, but it isn't a huge advantage. That's like saying if you learned to play the recorder in elementary school, you'd be able to play the cello if Yo-Yo Ma gave you private lessons for a few weeks.

There are some people who are just naturally inclined toward dance even without years of training. After college, a friend of mine said she'd always wanted to take ballet so we went to an adult ballet class together. She had no dance experience whatsoever. Within the first two minutes of class, the teacher came over to say that my friend had the most amazing demi plié she had ever seen.

A girl I danced with in high school didn't start dancing until she was 13. Within a year she was doing flawless triple pirouettes. She joined the dance team as a sophomore and was one of the top five dancers on the team. She had flexibility, beautiful leaps, ridiculously strong legs, and was already a talented choreographer. It took very little training to mold her into an outstanding dancer with super clean technique.

I know people tend to suspect that any contestant on DWTS who isn't tripping over their own feet has had previous training and is a ringer, but some people are just naturally gifted and look pretty good with minimal training.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 18
17 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

This is me, doing the Bye Bye Bye dance. Thank God he's gone.

The judges were totally overscoring Ally tonight. I didn't think either of her dances were worthy of a perfect score, let alone both of them. I don't know if they were trying to keep her out of the bottom 2, knock Spicy out or both but since he's gone, I'll take it.

LOL at Erin looking so devastated when they voted Spicy off. She really took those Twitter trolls to heart that were calling her out for looking sad that he was still on and she's been bending over backwards since then to play the role of Spicy's biggest fan.

I would like Lauren a whole lot more if she wasn't paired with Gleb. I can't root or vote for her because of that. He just skeeves me out.

I wonder if they'll consider bringing back the spring season to make up for the fiasco of this season. I think that's a big part of why people are losing interest in the show. Once a year mediocre seasons aren't really a reason to stay invested.

WTF is Cher doing the finale?!?

James or Kel for the win!

How do you know that Cher is doing the finale?

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That's way more math than I ever wanted in my guilty-pleasure TV... 😉

Thank you for reading it. 😀 I've put the math into a spoiler, for the benefit of number and non-number fans alike...

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Tom mentioned that Cher would be performing for the finale. 

I guess I don't understand the definition of the term "turning out" as I'm not following the significance of that conversation. A little help?

• Love 2

The thing that bothered me was how his shoulders looked hunched (and that turtleneck only made it look worse). I wanted to grab his shoulders and push them down and back.

I like Kel but I noticed this right away and it drove me nuts throughout the whole dance. I was glad that Carrie Ann mentioned it. His feet and presence in the paso were great though, as was his second dance.

I know people tend to suspect that any contestant on DWTS who isn't tripping over their own feet has had previous training and is a ringer, but some people are just naturally gifted and look pretty good with minimal training.

Lol, this comment brings me back to all the parties of my young adulthood. Some people could just move and flow with the music on the dance floor and then there was me, shuffling back and forth and praying no one was looking!

Edited by Jsage
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Len gets grumpier every season and more unfair and nit picky in some of his critiques and scores. Bruno's act has gotten old and Carrie Ann gets pretty loopy at times. 

Couldn't agree more.  And still, as much as I'd like to see new blood at the judges' table, it wouldn't seem the same without those three, as irksome as they've become.   Maybe they could rotate Joey Fatone into the mix and give each of the regulars every third week off or something.  (Does that even make mathematical sense? I'm hopeless with numbers).

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If there was any question as to who the worst dancer left on the show was at this point, the opening number made it abundantly clear. Stompy McStomperson could barely do a step clap in time to the music. Having all three of the male celebs standing next to each other doing the same moves provided a pretty stark contrast between Kel and James looking totally comfortable doing these simple steps and Spicy struggling to do the simplest thing.

Lol, yes, I had a lot more respect Lindsey and Jenna after seeing that.  In fact, Spicey is The White Guy who Claps on 1, 3, 5 and 7 (if he's on a beat at all!).  (Most people with any rhythm at all clap/snap/bounce on the 2, 4, 6 and 8).

To be fair, Lauren was okay on Hair Flip, Walk, Walk Walk, but started getting off once they got to hip, hip, hand, hand, pose.  And I do think she's the shakiest of the remaining female celebs.  I'd never heard of her before this season, but watching her, she seems like a singer who's been taught to walk to a mark and start singing, but very little as far as movement beyond that.

The celeb who struck me as having real dance training this season was actually Kate Flannery, and it really showed in the choreography that Pasha was able to give her.  Her routines were relatively "tidy" in a bunch of ways that aren't there for most of the other women, most of whom I want to tell to stay over their feet and get into their knees.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, sidwich said:

To be fair, Lauren was okay on Hair Flip, Walk, Walk Walk, but started getting off once they got to hip, hip, hand, hand, pose.  And I do think she's the shakiest of the remaining female celebs.  I'd never heard of her before this season, but watching her, she seems like a singer who's been taught to walk to a mark and start singing, but very little as far as movement beyond that.

I wonder if that corset helped or hurt her broken-rib situation...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

know people tend to suspect that any contestant on DWTS who isn't tripping over their own feet has had previous training and is a ringer, but some people are just naturally gifted and look pretty good with minimal training

Some people r just naturally gifted. U have ur trained dancers and u have the ones that have never taken a dance class in their life and just have naturalness to them like Kel for instance. Im assuming dude has never taken any dance classes but maybe trained in hiphop which is on a totally different level than what he is doing on dwts but he got natural rhythmn. Some people dont have to be trained, they just got it. 

• Love 3

Well, thanks to my news feed apparently forgetting how to do spoiler alerts, I knew the result before I watched this time.

While it was definitely Sean's time to go, I have to say that I appreciated his attitude during his time on the show. The judges were harsh, maybe rightfully so, but at least he always tried his best(even though his best wasn't all that good).

Kel has stepped it up, and I like him. At this point I would be happy with either James or Kel winning.

I thought James got low-balled a little on the scores tonight, but I agree that there wasn't enough partner work in the second dance. That being said, I don't really believe that that was a song that would lend itself to being able to have much partner work <shrug>.

I don't get the Ally or Hannah love. 

Lauren is just kind of there. She'll probably be gone next week.

I liked Joey Fatone as a guest judge. He's one of the better ones they've had, IMO.

Edited by marykat71702
Added something
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, vdw84 said:

The producers could be pushing for a male pro to win this season since it has been a longtime since a female has taken it home.

I honestly don't care if the winner is male or female, just the best dancer. That being said, however, for the seasons where there was an obvious ringer I would rather see the most improved/natural dancer win(i.e. James Hinchcliffe).

• Love 7
On 11/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, madpsych78 said:

That was my beef about her Samba! It should have been all 9s, because while what she did was good, there were no rolls. I just don't believe in awarding 10s for dances danced perfectly that have basic steps. 

On 11/11/2019 at 7:30 PM, scenicbyway said:

Joey pointed out that Ally’s Samba had no Samba rolls.  Yet it received 10’s...

They don't HAVE to include samba rolls...Joey just probably personally wanted to see one. The ballroom and Latin dances are supposed to have proper content, but the show has never had specific required elements for any of them (other than staying in hold for ballroom tango and quickstep, but even that gets ignored sometimes).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was pretty happy with all of the couples this week. I thought each couple had at least one good-to-great dance. Even Sean went out on his two best dances, IMO.

I thought Joey did a nice job as a guest judge - it's good to see a former contestant actually utilize what he learned about dance from his time with the show.

James/Emma Jive: I agree with Bruno that he didn't quite have the pumping leg action (like Lauren and Kate did successfully in their jives the previous week).

Sean/Jenna AT: I'm not as hard on Sean as others. His part of the dance was very simple, but I thought he did fine with what he was given and his character was appropriate. Yes, he walks around a lot, but AT can kind of play that off.

Hannah/Alan Salsa: I thought she did better in the salsa danceoff last week. She seemed to be back in her head again, but then again it was most likely costume-related.

Lauren/Gleb Quickstep: I thought this was solid. Like CAI, I didn't see anything noticeably off, but I agree with Joey that frame could possibly have been tighter.

Ally/Sasha Samba: I thought it needed more samba bounce, though that could be due to the song.

Kel/Witney Paso: It needed better shaping and broadness of movement, like the judges said.

James/Emma Jazz: This dance looked really good on James and he seemed so comfortable doing it. He completely fit in as a boybander. 

Sean/Jenna Foxtrot: I actually thought it was sweet and it was the most fluidity and gracefulness that Sean has shown in any of his dances.

Hannah/Alan Tango: This was probably my favorite dance of the night. Ballroom just suits Hannah so well. Like Bruno said, it was a beautiful blend of intensity, passion, and elegance.

Lauren/Gleb Rumba: Lauren had nice fluidity and hip action and looked comfortable and confident in this rumba. Much less posey than some of her previous Latin dances. Over the past 5 seasons or so, for some reason, rumbas have only been assigned sparsely on the show...I am really glad it got back into the regular rotation, because I have liked a lot of the rumbas this season.

Kel/Witney V Waltz: Kel has really improved over the course of this season. Nice posture/frame, good rotations, fluidity and extension.

Ally/Sasha: This actually looked like jazz to me. And the tricks they threw in were done pretty seamlessly. I agree with Bruno about the dance looking like an homage to Paula Abdul.

I normally root for the female celebs because so much more is expected of them, but I think I would prefer a James or Kel win.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

They don't HAVE to include samba rolls...Joey just probably personally wanted to see one. The ballroom and Latin dances are supposed to have proper content, but the show has never had specific required elements for any of them (other than staying in hold for ballroom tango and quickstep, but even that gets ignored sometimes).

Yep, the sambas dont always have the samba rolls added and that is fine with me because I dont think they really add anything to the samba, I always just look for the bounce to me that is the most important thing in the Samba is that bounce action.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2019 at 11:54 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

He's an obvious ringer? How so? Because he's good? Because his mom owned a dance studio? Not seeing the obvious here.

Honestly, the closest I think anyone is to being a ringer this season is Hannah.

Let's see...beautiful lines and extensions, graceful lifts and splits, good posture and carriage, dances in sync with the backups. He's at least as trained as Hannah.

Maybe "ringer" isn't the word for them, but they definitely had more than a couple of dance lessons.

I think Ally and Kel had some dance training as well. Not classical dance, but they aren't in the same league as Spicer or even Karamo or Lauren.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Let's see...beautiful lines and extensions, graceful lifts and splits, good posture and carriage, dances in sync with the backups. He's at least as trained as Hannah.

As has been pointed out, some people are just naturally gifted. I don't know if you were watching that season but do you believe that James Hinchcliffe had previous training? I don't believe he had any whatsoever. He was just someone who was naturally gifted and was great at it. As much as I personally didn't like her, I would say the same for Bindi Irwin. She didn't have experience but she was good. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

As has been pointed out, some people are just naturally gifted. I don't know if you were watching that season but do you believe that James Hinchcliffe had previous training? 

No, but IMO he and Bindi weren't as good as James Vanderbeek. They were naturally good, but they didn't look like they were trained. To me, James V. looks like he's had some training.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

As has been pointed out, some people are just naturally gifted. I don't know if you were watching that season but do you believe that James Hinchcliffe had previous training? I don't believe he had any whatsoever. He was just someone who was naturally gifted and was great at it. As much as I personally didn't like her, I would say the same for Bindi Irwin. She didn't have experience but she was good. 

James Hinchcliffe is my all-time fave! That jitterbug he did with Sharna might be my fave dance of all time. Incredible entertainment!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

James Hinchcliffe is my all-time fave! That jitterbug he did with Sharna might be my fave dance of all time. Incredible entertainment!

I agree. He is right up there for me. I've actually watched all of his dances again recently and he wasn't just good dancing, but as a non-actor/performer he was amazing in how he performed/sold the dances as well. Toss up for me whether my favorite was his quickstep, viennese waltz, or argentine tango.

A little more on topic, does anyone know what the dances are going to be next week? Tom said something about it at the end, but I don't remember anything specific. I hope they do Trio dances again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

A little more on topic, does anyone know what the dances are going to be next week? Tom said something about it at the end, but I don't remember anything specific. I hope they do Trio dances again.

Here's a list of dances.

Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Paso and Viennese Waltz)
Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Viennese Waltz and Charleston)
“The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Rumba and Contemporary)
Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Tango and Contemporary)
TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Cha Cha and Foxtrot)

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/stakes-are-high-as-five-celebrity-and-pro-dancer-couples-compete-in-the-semi-finals-for-the-coveted-mirrorball-trophy-on-abcs-dancing-with-the-stars-monday-nov-18/

1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Here's a list of dances.

Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Paso and Viennese Waltz)
Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Viennese Waltz and Charleston)
“The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Rumba and Contemporary)
Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Tango and Contemporary)
TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Cha Cha and Foxtrot)

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/stakes-are-high-as-five-celebrity-and-pro-dancer-couples-compete-in-the-semi-finals-for-the-coveted-mirrorball-trophy-on-abcs-dancing-with-the-stars-monday-nov-18/

Thanks. So doesn't mention anything about Trios. That's unfortunate. I loved a lot of those dances.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think Sean should have gone home weeks ago, but I'm still not all for the judges over-scoring other contestants to get him off the show.  I'm all for fair scoring, after all rules is rules.

I agree, and this new voting system is so stupid. How many times are they going to save Ally? Yes, she's a good dancer, but if the fans don't want her then she should go. The person with the lowest combo of votes and scores should go home like before. If a Bobby Bones wins again, so be it.

Yes, Bobby sucked and I couldn't stand him, but he didn't cheat to win. So what was the problem, exactly?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think Sean should have gone home weeks ago, but I'm still not all for the judges over-scoring other contestants to get him off the show.  I'm all for fair scoring, after all rules is rules.

I think the judges overscoring contestants is a bit more of speculation and theory, its no proof that is what is happening, they may very well be scoring on their truth of how the felt the dance was and not so much on manipulating someone into going home.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I agree, and this new voting system is so stupid. How many times are they going to save Ally? Yes, she's a good dancer, but if the fans don't want her then she should go. The person with the lowest combo of votes and scores should go home like before. If a Bobby Bones wins again, so be it.

Yes, Bobby sucked and I couldn't stand him, but he didn't cheat to win. So what was the problem, exactly?

I just think the judges scores need to weigh more than half. It needs to 75 to 80 percent on scoring, that may make a huge difference in the right ones staying. I do think the judges need to have more say in who stays vs leave but it needs to be with their scoring.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Fair scoring is subjective.  I think Sean was overscored.  I think it would have been generous to give him fours not sixes/sevens.  But they probably didn't want to rally his fans even more.

• Love 8

When they announced the theme, I hoped they would have asked Mel B. to be a judge and was thoroughly confused when they said it was Baby Spice. I was like... why ask Baby when she was never a contestant lol. Scary and Maks is one of my fave OG couples. 

Baby was a contestant on British DWTS and made it to third place with the highest average score of her season.  But I agree, Scary would've been a more natural choice.  And of course in the end, we got neither!

I wonder if Lindsay would have come back at all if Sean hadn't left. Obviously losing a relative is devastating but I wonder if she just wanted to GTFO of that sinking ship on some level as well. (Perhaps they addressed this during Sean's practice segments, if so forgive me, I fast-forwarded through them)

I thought something like this, and I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist.  I understand that some families are very tight-knit, especially in the Mormon culture.  Good for Lindsay for taking the time to support her husband and mourn the loss of his mother, and for the producers for giving her the time she asked for.  At the same time, I've never known anyone to take two weeks off work to grieve a spouse's parent.  Something seemed odd to me about that.  Maybe I'm just more a grin-and-bear-it type.  Best wishes to them both, at any rate.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I've never known anyone to take two weeks off work to grieve a spouse's parent.  Something seemed odd to me about that. 

Even if you loathe your in laws, taking time off to be there for your spouse is the kind and supportive thing to do.

When you live in the same city as your in laws, it’s not as necessary to take so many days off because you have the evenings and weekends to deal with all the family stuff, but when you are flying in from somewhere, it’s sometimes easier for you to stay until everything is taken care of and then you can go home.

When my friend’s dad died, he took a few weeks off because he had to plan the funeral, find a care facility for his mom (she was in the beginning stages of dementia and he felt she couldn’t live alone in the house), meet with the lawyers about his dad’s will, go through all of his dad’s belongings, pack up the house, and find an agent who could rent the house out. He lived several states away and going back and forth to do that in several trips wasn’t an efficient way to deal with it all. His girlfriend flew out and helped him. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

At the same time, I've never known anyone to take two weeks off work to grieve a spouse's parent.  Something seemed odd to me about that.  

Technically she only took a bit over a week off. She left rehearsals on Saturday and the funeral was the following Monday.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even if you loathe your in laws, taking time off to be there for your spouse is the kind and supportive thing to do.

I think because the death was unexpected from what she said maybe its harder to process and she needed more time with her husband and his family, I never give a time limit on grief or helping someone over that grief. U grieve for however u need too and for however it takes esp if its a parent or child.

• Love 4
On 11/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, boyznkatz said:

She may be annoying, but as a judge, he's supposed to be grading her dancing, not her personality. In whose universe is she one point better than Spicer? The stupid judges are the ones to blame for Spicey being on so long. They can shove their "shock" up their asses.

I like James, but Dude is an obvious ringer.

When saw that split from an over 40 man, that was an obvious clue that he had deep early training.  Thanks for clearing that up.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Technically she only took a bit over a week off. She left rehearsals on Saturday and the funeral was the following Monday.

The funeral wasn't until a week later, on Saturday. The wake was Friday. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kira53 said:

When saw that split from an over 40 man, that was an obvious clue that he had deep early training. 

Flexibility isn't a sign of "deep early training." Some people are naturally flexible. I know a few people who have never taken a dance class in their lives and can do the splits. Same thing goes for turn out, which is another dance attribute that involves a different kind of flexibility. Some people have to fight for every little bit of turn out and other people who have never taken ballet sit down on the floor and their knees flop all the way out and touch the ground.

And even so, flexibility is not something that requires a lifetime of dance training to achieve. You can stretch at home without ever taking a dance class.

Bradley Whitford, who just turned 60, did the splits on Perfect Harmony a few weeks ago. He is not a dancer but he does yoga.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Bobby sucked and I couldn't stand him, but he didn't cheat to win. So what was the problem, exactly?

The problem is a group of trolls who "vote for the worst" just to bust balls...including the mirror balls.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Kira53 said:

When saw that split from an over 40 man, that was an obvious clue that he had deep early training.  Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still able to do a complete split with ass on the floor and one month away from 70. I have not had any dance training either......just flexible.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Flexibility isn't a sign of "deep early training." Some people are naturally flexible. I know a few people who have never taken a dance class in their lives and can do the splits. Same thing goes for turn out, which is another dance attribute that involves a different kind of flexibility. Some people have to fight for every little bit of turn out and other people who have never taken ballet sit down on the floor and their knees flop all the way out and touch the ground.

And even so, flexibility is not something that requires a lifetime of dance training to achieve. You can stretch at home without ever taking a dance class.

Bradley Whitford, who just turned 60, did the splits on Perfect Harmony a few weeks ago. He is not a dancer but he does yoga.

I agree.  I also agree with what you said earlier that some people are just naturally gifted that they can pick up dance quicker.  It also definitely happens to people that used to do gymnastics or yoga.  They were flexible when they started and they already have a sense of body awareness. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

The problem is a group of trolls who "vote for the worst" just to bust balls...including the mirror balls.

In this case, I think a lot of it was also Sharna's fans determined to see her win a mirrorball.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

In this case, I think a lot of it was also Sharna's fans determined to see her win a mirrorball.

Bobby just seems to have a lot of fans. He had a radio show to get votes. The people he competed again just didn't have the fan bases. 

• Love 2

I was never, ever able to do splits, nor do my knees go to the floor when I sit on the floor. I've always been a decent dancer, I've taken some classes, I point my toes very well, but splits? Never going to happen for me.

Oh, and somewhere up in the posts someone mentioned Hannah's horrible feet during her lifts in the salsa, I noticed those also, her tango/Argentine tango, I can't remember, was much better than her salsa. Her head position was good, I don't remember her doing her pageant smile during the dance. I thought it was one of her better dances. Of the women left, I think she's the best and I am not a Bachelor/Bachelorette fan.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I was never, ever able to do splits, nor do my knees go to the floor when I sit on the floor. I've always been a decent dancer, I've taken some classes, I point my toes very well, but splits? Never going to happen for me.

Oh, and somewhere up in the posts someone mentioned Hannah's horrible feet during her lifts in the salsa, I noticed those also, her tango/Argentine tango, I can't remember, was much better than her salsa. Her head position was good, I don't remember her doing her pageant smile during the dance. I thought it was one of her better dances. Of the women left, I think she's the best and I am not a Bachelor/Bachelorette fan.

I think none of the women have perfect technique this season, they r good dancers but none that r just super great with technique. Hannah may have the best overall technique but its still not great.

• Love 1

Yay! Spicer is gone. 😎 He was the worst dancer left by some distance and IMO it's good for the show that he didn't make it into the semifinals/finals. I could live with any of the remaining contestants winning this thing, though obviously some are better than others. But they've all produced some good performances and have reached at least a decent level of dance competence. Can't be said about Spicer.

It's my impression as well that they're overscoring Ally (in a bid to keep her on the show?), and I'm not sure something like that is actually helping with votes. The judges can't "save" her to a DWTS title, can they?

I don't think James and Hannah have trouble with votes at all, which is why the judges are tougher on them. But it does start to look strange IMO, when the two of them are routinely better than Ally but don't get higher scores. Also, the tone towards Hannah has veered towards unpleasant at times IMO. And I really don't think it's necessary. She's too preppy/smiley, it's not a crime and it also doesn't warrant amateur psychoanalysis.

Kel has been improving a lot and I really like to watch him now! 🙂 I think the partnership with Witney has also strengthened in the last few weeks, which is nice. And I actually thought both of Lauren's dances were nice. Not the most spectacular ever, but entertaining to watch. The jive last week had good choreo as well, though she did make mistakes. And her rumba was impressive because that dance has such high potential to be cringeworthy for candidates. But she was fluent and had good connection with Gleb. 🙂

Which...he will never be my fave pro, his style/aesthetic isn't for me. And he's been inconsistent this season, but also produced a few nice dances for Lauren. And in the last few weeks it also seems like he's been teaching her quite well. Getting a confident rumba with decent technique from a contestant isn't so easy, but Lauren was pretty solid. So...I guess if we're stuck with him, I want him to stop flailing around so much. Obviously he's capable of solid choreo/teaching, now do it all the time.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Why didn't Sharna's fans rally when Charlie White was her partner?

There's a big difference between Season 18 and Season 27. I think as each season went on and people like Emma, Lindsay and Witney won, her fans became even more determined to see her win. Besides, was any group of fans able to overcome the obsessive group of fans of the fauxmance of the century?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Im not flexible either but I know how to dance, im not classical trained but I have trained in hiphop as I was on a dance squad in Highschool many moons ago, so thats pro why im more of fan of sytycd than dwts because I love to judge the hiphop routines, they r so much fun to watch but I do love watching other dances too, my other favs r jazz and salsa. I really want to learn to salsa dance, its one of my future goals.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, luvthepros said:

I'm still able to do a complete split with ass on the floor and one month away from 70. I have not had any dance training either......just flexible.

Are you a woman or a man?  I think that this is much more of a frequent ability for women.  Of course a lifetime of yoga makes a difference.