Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Fallout

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Seems as if this show is going all "ripped from the headlines" a la Law & Order for this episode. To air on November 3, 2019:

An emergency alert of an impending missile attack sends Los Angeles into chaos and uncertainty, while the officers each try to keep the peace and deal with their own disasters.

21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Seems as if this show is going all "ripped from the headlines" a la Law & Order for this episode. To air on November 3, 2019:

Holy Chaos, Batman!  How many times has this scenario been done? I'll be willing to bet it'll be defused or exploded in the ocean.

29 minutes ago, rhys said:

Nice to see the rotten judge get arrested. What a punk. 

I .missed how the lawyer boyfriend got stabbed. Who the neck had a knife?

I should’ve guessed that if they cast Jim Ortlieb/Nasedo as the judge that he’d make some immoral decisions. But is Nolan going to be in trouble for overruling/overpowering a judge in his courthouse?

And if he’d been watching the violent offenders instead of playing kissy face with his girlfriend, maybe nobody would’ve been stabbed, shot, etc. 

@rhys, the smart mouthed prisoner got scissors from a first aid kit and used them as a shiv. 
————

Lucy and Tim drinking 80-some proof liquor while on the job —that they stole from the convenience store??? WTH?

——

a total This-Is-Us tear-jerker ending. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, preeya said:

Holy Chaos, Batman!  How many times has this scenario been done? I'll be willing to bet it'll be defused or exploded in the ocean.

Holy Chaos, Batman turned into Holy False Alarm, Batman.

Bradford agreeing to take it easy on Chen. Who is this man?

Grey and others should have advised Nolan to also know the layout of the courthouse. 

Nyla showed restraint and never shot the dog. 

Within 10 minutes after the text: chaos, grid lock, anarchy, and lunacy had nicely settled in the city. 

Did Jedediah communicate with the 5 by text? How quickly they stepped off the ledge after a brief talk with Lopez. Where was their commitment and faith? Their next gulp of Kool Aid will need some stronger stuff!

Wasn't Nyla suppose to be on the street and Rachel watch her daughter? 

Did Grey shed a tear over Nyla's story or did something catch his eye?

Poor owner: son gets beaten, lose a hundred dollars, looters, and Chen/Bradford drink his liquor without paying. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 6

I hope after drinking all the liquor, that Bradford and Chen used those folding metal doors to close up the shop.

If there had been any more kissy-face, I would have thought this was the Valentine's episode.

What happened to West's boyfriend, the nurse?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I should’ve guessed that if they cast Jim Ortlieb/Nasedo as the judge that he’d make some immoral decisions. But is Nolan going to be in trouble for overruling/overpowering a judge in his courthouse?

And if he’d been watching the violent offenders instead of playing kissy face with his girlfriend, maybe nobody would’ve been stabbed, shot, etc. 

@rhys, the smart mouthed prisoner got scissors from a first aid kit and used them as a shiv. 
————

Lucy and Tim drinking 80-some proof liquor while on the job —that they stole from the convenience store??? WTH?

——

a total This-Is-Us tear-jerker ending. 

I think he got a nail file instead of scissors, but I could be wrong. He could have broken them in half - because what he was holding against the judge's neck wasn't a pair of scissors. Though what a nail file would be doing in a first aid box, I don't know.

8 hours ago, preeya said:

Holy Chaos, Batman turned into Holy False Alarm, Batman.

I had a friend who went through this in Hawaii, those 20 minutes were pretty horrific, though she at least, was at the beach. But she made her "final" phone call to her west coast family.  It seems irresponsible to me to say that a heat wave caused an error in the system. Even in Hawaii it is not an automatic system, the cause was human error.

6 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

What happened to West's boyfriend, the nurse?

I'd forgotten about him. Wasn't there some issue with how open (or closed) West was about the relationship?

7 minutes ago, paigow said:

Nolan did not have his phone in court...almost everybody else did...looks bad when cops seem clueless...

That was bad. Cops always have their phones, at least in my neck of the woods. I was pretty annoyed that what's her name's lawyer called during business hours, and that she picked it up in the middle of checking out the DB odor.

Edited by Clanstarling

The episode title should have been: The Purge

The guy passing counterfeit bills could be the next CI...

9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Bradford agreeing to take it easy on Chen. Who is this man?

A man that does not put pride before sexy times......

• LOL 7

I thought the blond criminal in the bomb shelter found a scalpel in the first aid kit and that's what he had at that woman's throat. But he seemed clear across the room from lawyer boyfriend.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mxc90 said:

We didn't get a resolution to that situation, did we? Did the dog kill the guy, or was he 'just' eating him post-murder? At any rate, I'm pretty sure a dog would be put down under either of those circumstances, so Nyla's restraint didn't make much sense.

So did the toilet in the bomb shelter also stop functioning 'during the Reagan administration' like the phone? This wasn't addressed, but it sure would have been the first thing I would have been concerned about.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Wow, just so many plot holes, contrivances and things just plain wrong about this episode.  Partly due to a wildly unlikely disaster scenario, partly due to lazy writing.  Let's see...

1.  Gridlocked traffic, yet Nyla gets a) to her kid's school, and b) back to the station with her kid, her ex gets to the kid's school (even though she's no longer there), Wesley gets an ambulance, and he and entourage get to the hospital, etc.

2.  Nyla answering the cell phone a) while on duty, and b) while entering an unknown building not knowing what/who to expect.  (Cops answering personal calls on duty seems to happen in about every episode and is unbelievable each time - they'd get fired for that.)

3.  Speaking of cell phones, it is standard procedure - if not required by some court rules - to turn cell phones off when in a court room.  I could buy that there were several on vibrate, but practically none - especially those belonging to attorneys or clients - would be on audible ring.

4. No one other than one judge, out of what has to be many judges, bailiffs, cops & general court personnel, knows about the bomb shelter. 

5.  Overcrowding a bomb shelter, yet despite having at least 10 minutes before the purported bomb dropping, no one goes to get additional water, food (there is almost certainly a court cafeteria that has been abandoned), toilet paper, etc. 

6.  Wesley is possibly dying, the whole station is there (is anyone on duty???) and yet, where are his parents?

I was surprised the alleged murderer was shot.  I was certain that plot line would be Nolan goading him into admitting to the murder in front of everyone, so case closed, parents get closure.  Otherwise, why not duct tape his mouth shut?  Also expected Nolan's suspect to confess, just so he'd have a win in court. 

I could handle one or two of these, but so many, and I'm sure I'm missing some here.  NF should be embarrassed as a named producer of this episode. 

• Love 9

3.  Speaking of cell phones, it is standard procedure - if not required by some court rules - to turn cell phones off when in a court room.  I could buy that there were several on vibrate, but practically none - especially those belonging to attorneys or clients - would be on audible ring.

The only way to not have your phone make noise alerting about a Nuclear attack is to turn it off. 

There are a series of escalating messages that government officials can send to all phones. Some just send texts while the most extreme cause an alert to sound on your phone even when it is muted or on vibrate. The idea is that everybody needs to know about something like a nuclear attack so it's okay to override your settings.

There are protocols about which level to send the message on and who gets to authorize it. 

So, it is accurate that the phones would have rung in the courtroom in this case.

But he seemed clear across the room from lawyer boyfriend.

The lawyer saw him breaking into the box and grabbing the scissors, so he probably tried to stop the criminal and got stabbed for his trouble before the criminal grabbed the woman. For a guy who stabbed another man in the chest, the prisoner should have had some blood on him.

Also, those looked like dressmaker sheers in that first aid kit. What first aid kit has those? They always have those scissors with the blunted end for sliding under clothes so you can cut them all up. Even back in the Reagan era and earlier, they wouldn't put scissors like the one the prisoner found in a first aid kit. Maybe somebody thought they'd be in the shelter so long they would have to start tailoring their own clothes out of blankets and the clothes of the people who did not survive.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, rhys said:

I thought the blond criminal in the bomb shelter found a scalpel in the first aid kit and that's what he had at that woman's throat. But he seemed clear across the room from lawyer boyfriend.

Lawyer boyfriend walked towards him trying to placate him. When she was let go, he was close to blond criminal and that's when he got stabbed.

• Love 3

Does L.A. have court on Sunday? When the lawyer whose name I don’t know showed Nolan the alert on his phone the date was Sunday, November 3.  

Edited by LizDC
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

Wow, just so many plot holes, contrivances and things just plain wrong about this episode.  Partly due to a wildly unlikely disaster scenario, partly due to lazy writing.  Let's see...

1.  Gridlocked traffic, yet Nyla gets a) to her kid's school, and b) back to the station with her kid, her ex gets to the kid's school (even though she's no longer there), Wesley gets an ambulance, and he and entourage get to the hospital, etc

6.  Wesley is possibly dying, the whole station is there (is anyone on duty???) 

His parents were gridlocked... Surprised that Bradford & Chen made it to the hospital apparently sober after drinking 20 oz each.

• Love 5

I've already said I disliked the lame "it was the heat that caused a system malfunction" explanation for the false alert. But it particularly bugged me because it seemed like they'd set it up so that it could be explained as a planned escape plan for the mouthy con who eventually got the scissors. From "hey you can take as long as you like, I'll go to the back of the line" to pretty much every interaction, it seemed like he was waiting for something - and then when the judge and bailiff disappeared, it looked like they were accessories. 

Anyway, it would have made me happier for it to be a human triggering the alerts as part of an escape plan than the explanation they gave.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I live in Hawaii, and traffic got tied up very fast during our false alarm incident.  I was at Whole Foods.  While everyone was pretty calm, there were a lot of super scared, sobbing people.  But it was caused by human error, not some glitch caused by temperatures?  That was a lame explanation.  I did laugh when Nolan referenced the Hawaii incident.  Sooo many plot holes in this episode, but I still enjoy the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That was bad. Cops always have their phones, at least in my neck of the woods. I was pretty annoyed that what's her name's lawyer called during business hours, and that she picked it up in the middle of checking out the DB odor.

That whole scene with the DB and the dog was quite lame (and disgusting).

• Love 1

I really wish they hadn't gone with the "there's a nuke coming" plotline this episode because I actually found all the other stories way more interesting than the missile one.  Was that guy who the dog was eating murdered or did he die due to some other cause (accident, OD'ed, dog attack,etc)?  And what was going on with the funky looking guy with the counterfeit money?  I would have much rather watched all those things play out (as well as Nolan's court storyline) than the incoming missile story that we got.  

Also, Chen's ex is insane.  Who sends a wedding invite to not just their ex, but their ex who they cheated on with their best friend, who they are now marrying?  Why she didn't immediately just throw it in the trash is beyond me.  

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Also, Chen's ex is insane.  Who sends a wedding invite to not just their ex, but their ex who they cheated on with their best friend, who they are now marrying?  Why she didn't immediately just throw it in the trash is beyond me.  

On a different show, I think I would have enjoyed watching her take the revenge from day dreams to actuality. But, I like that she calmed down about it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Poor owner: son gets beaten, lose a hundred dollars, looters, and Chen/Bradford drink his liquor without paying. 

My guess is that Chen and Bradford will pay for the booze. Plus, they were keeping the place from being looted in their potential last moments on Earth.

Was that guy the owner's son? I thought he was just a dumb employee.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Was that guy the owner's son? I thought he was just a dumb employee.

He was just an employee.  The owner's kid was a baby, which is why he and his wife were at couple's counseling (lack of sleep due to baby was stressing them out or something like that).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But is Nolan going to be in trouble for overruling/overpowering a judge in his courthouse?

No.  He pulled a gun on a cop.  Doesn't matter where he did it.

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

18 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I hope after drinking all the liquor, that Bradford and Chen used those folding metal doors to close up the shop.

Agreed.  Why couldn't the store owner just  pull down the grate and lock the store?

19 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Wasn't Nyla suppose to be on the street and Rachel watch her daughter? 

No, Rachel took her to the vending machine while Nyla spoke to the Sergeant about her daughter.

But why would the daughter be any safer in the police station then at school?  Why didn't her mother take her to the shelter in the parking lot?

19 hours ago, mxc90 said:

9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Did the dog kill the guy, or was he 'just' eating him post-murder? At any rate, I'm pretty sure a dog would be put down under either of those circumstances, so Nyla's restraint didn't make much sense.

Agreed. He appeared rabid, so might as well have shot him instead of taking a chance of being bitten.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was pretty annoyed that what's her name's lawyer called during business hours, and that she picked it up in the middle of checking out the DB odor.

Well, it's the lawyer's business hours, too.  Also, he can't be sure exactly when Nyla has a shift, or when she has a break.  It was ridiculous for her to answer the call at that moment, though.

• Love 3

So many issues with this episode...😖

Why the hell was Nyla answering her phone?

I thought maybe Oscar somehow had something to do with the alert because of all the stalling he was doing.

How did no one see/hear the handcuffs being taken off? Also, as soon as they showed a close-up of the keys, I knew the prisoners would get a hold of them and get free.

Why didn't Wesley shout out a warning when he saw Oscar getting the scissors?

The people on the roof were annoying.

I agree with the above poster who said that they would have rather seen the other storylines play out instead(counterfeit guy, db, etc.). Me, too.

I think I missed a couple, but those are the ones that really stuck out.

I am kind of glad that Wesley didn't die(yet, anyway).

• Love 6
6 hours ago, AlleC17 said:

I live in Hawaii, and traffic got tied up very fast during our false alarm incident.  I was at Whole Foods.  While everyone was pretty calm, there were a lot of super scared, sobbing people.

Nobody tried to steal anything? Some $50 grass fed rib eye would make a great last meal on earth....

• LOL 3

A judge, some cops, a federal agent, some lawyers, a bunch of criminals and the court gallery (including the parents of one of the victims of one of the criminals) are the only survivors of a nuclear attack would make for a pretty cool show, huh?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Did the dog kill the guy, or was he 'just' eating him post-murder?

It looked to me like the dog was licking his face, trying to wake him up. Like maybe it was his owner. But maybe not. All I know is if she'd shot the dog, I was out. I don't care what you do to people, but you don't touch the dog! And really, if she'd simply closed the damn door when the dog first looked up and snarled, she wouldn't have been in that situation. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

It looked to me like the dog was licking his face, trying to wake him up

Seriously? The dog's face was smeared with blood, there was blood on it's bared teeth. I adore dogs, but unless he has been confined with the dead guy for several days-ie, is starving-a dog that will eat a man is never going to make a safe pet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

How did no one see/hear the handcuffs being taken off? Also, as soon as they showed a close-up of the keys, I knew the prisoners would get a hold of them and get free.

A bunch of prisoners get into a fight with deputies none of us will be watching his keys. The Deputy on the other hand who in real life had experience working in the county jails wouldn't be hanging keys like that. But of course the deputies were not the star so they all became Barney Fife.

19 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I really wish they hadn't gone with the "there's a nuke coming" plotline this episode because I actually found all the other stories way more interesting than the missile one. 

The entire 30 minute timeline was just to compressed for what they were trying to pull off

On 11/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, chaifan said:

1.  Gridlocked traffic, yet Nyla gets a) to her kid's school, and b) back to the station with her kid, her ex gets to the kid's school (even though she's no longer there), Wesley gets an ambulance, and he and entourage get to the hospital, etc.

4. No one other than one judge, out of what has to be many judges, bailiffs, cops & general court personnel, knows about the bomb shelter. 

5.  Overcrowding a bomb shelter, yet despite having at least 10 minutes before the purported bomb dropping, no one goes to get additional water, food (there is almost certainly a court cafeteria that has been abandoned), toilet paper, etc. 

1a. I remember an earth invasion movie Battle:Los Angeles where I don't the most scifi element of the show was that Santa Monica was mostly evacuated in the face of an alien attack. In the best of times within 10 minutes nobody, not even Jack Bauer moves around LA. like they did being able to pick up the kids, get to the station for a briefing, go back on the street with plan on getting downtown to the courthouse during the last 10 minutes

4&5a. I agree there is more than one judge and courtroom in a LA County Superior Court building, where did everyone else go during the panic? It takes 10 minutes to move around during the staggered lunch breaks in regular times. Besides if they left that judge wasn't going to let them back in

• Love 1
On 11/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, LizDC said:

Does L.A. have court on Sunday? When the lawyer whose name I don’t know showed Nolan the alert on his phone the date was Sunday, November 3.  

It also said the time was 11:30am, but the clock in the bomb shelter read around 10:30am. Maybe he had his phone set to a different time zone?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

All I know is if she'd shot the dog, I was out. I don't care what you do to people, but you don't touch the dog!

I love dogs as much (and more) as anyone, but when I saw that dog, I kept saying "Shoot it, shoot it!" It was nasty, and was going to seriously hurt, if not kill, her if he got close enough.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I love dogs as much (and more) as anyone, but when I saw that dog, I kept saying "Shoot it, shoot it!" It was nasty, and was going to seriously hurt, if not kill, her if he got close enough.

National Lampoon used folks with their if you don't buy this magazine we will kill the dog cover back in 1973

• Love 2

Even though she was in the middle of a call, Nyla answered the phone because it was her lawyer.  In fact, I laughed out loud because it didn't say his name on her screen, it just said "Lawyer".  That way we'd know, because her asking about her daughter and custody and stuff would not have tipped us off, right?

I think the idea was to show that her daughter is everything, so a call from the lawyer is important enough to answer even while at work.  A misguided attempt to show how "good" her priorities are or something.

The thing that bugged me -- and I know it's stupid -- was that her daughter is named Lila.  Nyla and Lila.  At least it's not spelled Lyla.  I had a boss named Kevin once and his idiot son came to visit him at work and bother everyone.  The kid's name was Devin.  Kevin and Devin.  Really, dude?  (Yeah, I'm sure some people think that's cute.  I admit that it's dumb to get hung up on that.)

Edited by Orbert
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, taurusrose said:
On 11/3/2019 at 11:47 PM, mxc90 said:

I  am probably the biggest animal lover alive, but that fucker would have been shot.

Yeah, but Nyla wouldn't shoot the dog because (a) it could jeopardize her kid custody/job issues (assuming the nuke is fake) and (b) because dogs don't get killed like that on TV because it's bad for ratings/social media image. And all of that was running through my head during the dog barking/snarling rather than o.m.g. what-will-happen-to-poor-Nyla.

This show really does depend upon heartwarming touched-by-Angel-Nolan moments to not get cancelled.

My end-of-the-world go-to would be chocolate before booze. But now that I think about it, if you wanted to use alcohol to anesthetize you during the final throws of death by radiation (assuming you weren't close enough to the blast zone to be incinerated) you probably would need to start imbibing before radiation sickness set in and made you vomit. But I doubt that's what our Trusty Officers were thinking.

BTW, the messages everyone got were simply "incoming missile," not "with nuclear warhead," right? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, the messages everyone got were simply "incoming missile," not "with nuclear warhead," right? 

Yes, I believe you're right. Which makes a world of difference in whether to bother to take shelter or not.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, taurusrose said:

I  am probably the biggest animal lover alive, but that fucker would have been shot.  

Everyone is talking about why she didn't shoot the dog, but didn't she open a door to that room where the dog was with the dead body? Why didn't she just run out of the room and close the damn door on the dog so he couldn't chase her lol. 

• Love 4
On 11/4/2019 at 1:14 PM, LizDC said:

Public school teachers in L.A. are very dedicated to be working on Sunday....If it was Sunday, every cop and paramedic would be at the chargers / rams home game trying to deal with 100,000 spectators and employees panicking....

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

because dogs don't get killed like that on TV because it's bad for ratings/social media image.

Yeah, dogs, babies, and characters that I absolutely cannot stand have the strongest plot armor.

58 minutes ago, paigow said:

If it was Sunday, every cop and paramedic would be at the chargers / rams home game trying to deal with 100,000 spectators and employees panicking....

Rams, maybe. But LA folks stay away from Chargers' games in droves.