Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Product Commercial

• Start Topic

Each finalist is tasked with creating a product that represents his or her unique brand and culinary style. After receiving feedback from the judges, each finalist makes a commercial for his or her product in an unorthodox setting.

I just cannot get past Emma's voice. I keep waiting for her to apologize for the fact that she has a cold. Between her and Loreal's screeching, I can't listen to either one for very long.

Sarah is grating my last good nerve. Baby food? Texas? WTF? I was questioning a lot of the choices they were making, based on their POVs, but that one was the farthest from where she claims she wants to be. I cannot understand why she is still there.

I liked Chris' coins in the bag, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I just made a bunch of different compound herbed butters so I was along for the ride with him. His commercial wasn't great, but as Bob said, that's teachable. Evidently not teachable to Christopher, however.

Someone must have had a little talk with Giada, because she wasn't nearly as bitchy this week as she was last week. I bet she got called into Principal Bob and Suzie's office.

I am not sure how Loreal won based on that really bad sauce. Commercial was just OK for me. I thought she was just as flaky as Lenny. Yes, she knew where she was and mentioned it, but her delivery reminds me of Romper Room for some reason.

I thought Reuben was a goner in the first 5 minutes of the show. Their editors need to stop giving it away.

Glad the Dial of Doom is coming back. Finally, an audience will have some input. Maybe. If the Triumvirate doesn't cheat.

• Love 2
(edited)

We make compound butters all the time in cooking school.  They have nearly infinite uses.

I think Show heard howls of outrage from last week because they were careful to point out the best commercial AND the best food.

Edited by susannot

I have figured something that annoys me about Sarah--when she speaks, and some of her mannerisms remind me of Jenny McCarthy. UGH.

And, yet another stupid challenge that is all about creating a personality and has little to do with cooking or skill. Not one of these people make me want to get up off my couch and go cook something.

• Love 1

DwyrcMM.jpg  Giada, tell us how much it must hurt to clench your teeth and pull your cheeks back to smile like that.  I got the impression she would have wanted to keep Reuben (not surprising!).

Texas / baby food POV ????  How about Italian / won-tons, Irish / enchiladas???  Sarah is all over the map....and unfortunately, still on our TVs on Sunday nights!

(edited)

Lots of hot sauces, kind of boring, & why did Sarah think that baby food would make people think of Texas? I will admit I laughed when the director asked Lenny what his commercial had to do with the Great Wall of China & he said "Goooood question!" I knew it was going to be Reuben, he has never been good on camera, at least Emma & Nicole have. As for Christopher's butter, does he know somebody already makes this?

Edited by GaT

Loreal needs to be slapped every single time she says, "what what?!"  I liked her at first but now her incessant caricature of herself is relentlessly tiring. And Sarah's "I have kids, ergo I have the authenticity to make baby food and by the way that is related to Texas"? Please. Way to limit your market, dim bulb. I really really do not like her.

• Love 5

Reuben is probably a terrific chef and a nice guy, but terrible on camera and no imagination whatsoever. I mean, something as simple as saying his salsa has a kick that will take you right to the moon would have at least acknowledged that part of the challenge. I'm not exactly happy he was sent home - no schadenfreude here - but very glad Emma was spared as there's something I like about her.

• Love 1

Republic of Texas? REPUBLIC OF TEXAS??? There hasn't been a fucking Republic of Texas since 1845 so unless Sarah intends to cook pre-Fanny Farmer Cookbook, I fail to see how that's a viable POV for baby food or anything else.

• Love 3

Reuben is probably a terrific chef and a nice guy, but terrible on camera and no imagination whatsoever. I mean, something as simple as saying his salsa has a kick that will take you right to the moon would have at least acknowledged that part of the challenge. I'm not exactly happy he was sent home - no schadenfreude here - but very glad Emma was spared as there's something I like about her.

That would have been a really good idea. I thought he should have continued the thought of bringing a bottle with him when he's far from home & maybe put it on a piece of green cheese or one of those astronaut meals.

I hate it that it seems that Sarah is the one who is criticizing everyone after their ad aired.

I know. I notice it every week. She must have been one of the mean girls in high school. Usually when someone constantly criticizes, they are insecure about their own abilities. Well, she should be. She sucks. :)

• Love 5

OMG Sarah..how could you forget to tell them you had sons!!!  What's wrong with you.

She still needs to go.  I hate her.

Bye bye boring Ruben.  You can take yee ha  Ken with you on the way out.

The whole green screen thing was stupid, but Loreal got the best background; it is easy to talk about being in a garden when you making food from vegetables from a garden. I thought they all did a good job of packaging and I want to try Chris' butter. 

They should have given them a little more help with the scripts. It is hard to sound sincere, funny, describe the product and take note of your surroundings in 30 seconds. Still can't stand Lenny and his whooping nor Loreal and her trying to be cute with the What! What!  This seems to be a new thing to say and I pray it goes away soon-can't stand it.

I liked Ruben and he seems like a passionate chef, but he just can't think fast on his feet. I did think Nicole did a worse job though, she looked very nervous in her commercial.

I'm so glad Emma stayed.  She's still the only one I like.  All the commercials sucked imo.  Chris sounded like he was having a heart attack. Ms. Dang can go home next.  I lol'ed for real over how puzzled the judges seemed regarding her product.

Does anyone like Lenny?  He seems like a caricature to me.  And for all his good ol' boy talk, he seems a little mean in his TH's.

When are they going to get rid of that awful table they use at judging?  Bobby must have built it himself and refuses to throw it out.

(edited)

Yeah. Nicole had a moment where she stopped playing the Food Network Star game and got flustered by the challenge of selling her coastal POV while on a wild west green screen. So did Lenny, who fell (further) into a strange used car salesman persona, and Emma, who put on that stupid accent.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

The only thing worse than Lenny's ad was Lenny WATCHING his own commercial, with that big toothy grin and stupid eye blink he does.  Clearly he is his own biggest fan.

Texas baby food?  huh?

Bye-bye Ruben and your pretty, pretty eyes. 

• Love 1

I think Nicole is nice and she's certainly pretty (MUCH prettier than Sarah) but she just doesn't seem cut out for this.  I don't think she'll last much longer.  Emma is lovely and I like her voice but she isn't going to make it either.  Sarah is an obnoxious twit and Loreal is even worse so I'm sure we're stuck with them for several more weeks.  So that leaves Chris, Lenny and, hopefully, Luca for final three.  I hope.

SUSANNOT, ON 06 JUL 2014 - 10:04 PM, SAID:

I think Show heard howls of outrage from last week because they were careful to point out the best commercial AND the best food.

All the episodes except for the finale have already been shot and edited.

Yes, but my money is on Bobby and/or Alton telling Bob and Suzie "Giada was a total bitch, go look at the dailies"... and Giada got a talking-to.

• Love 1

I just cannot get past Emma's voice. I keep waiting for her to apologize for the fact that she has a cold. Between her and Loreal's screeching, I can't listen to either one for very long.

For some reason, I like Emma's voice.  Loreal on the other hand ....

Loreal needs to be slapped every single time she says, "what what?!"  I liked her at first but now her incessant caricature of herself is relentlessly tiring. And Sarah's "I have kids, ergo I have the authenticity to make baby food and by the way that is related to Texas"? Please. Way to limit your market, dim bulb. I really really do not like her.

I liked Loreal at first too.  She is starting to grate.  I'm glad she is so passionate about her work, but the fact that it's butchering animals that really turns her on - yuck.  Tonight she talked about it as if it's high art.

Republic of Texas? REPUBLIC OF TEXAS??? There hasn't been a fucking Republic of Texas since 1845 so unless Sarah intends to cook pre-Fanny Farmer Cookbook, I fail to see how that's a viable POV for baby food or anything else.

She fulfills every stereotype I've ever heard about Texas.

They said Emma's accent was cheesy?

This whole stupid show is cheesy!

And I know some/most of you can't stand her voice.  But, I love it!  It's so calming and soothing to me.

I think Emma could make millions recording children's books and nursery rhymes.  Parents can pop the CD in at bedtime, and children can fall asleep feeling safe and secure.  I'm not even kidding.  She makes me want to fall asleep, but not from boredom.  More like a short pleasant nap.

Does anyone like Lenny?  He seems like a caricature to me.  And for all his good ol' boy talk, he seems a little mean in his TH's.

I know what you mean about looking mean, but he doesn't seem to be.  I couldn't stand him at first, but he really kept his calm and was good natured about that stupid sabotage challenge.

I really liked Nicole at first, but not so much this week.

Bobby seems to be the guy in charge this season.  Is he supposed to be?

• Love 2

I think Bobby is the voice of reason amongst the three. Bob and Suzie being here this week helped a great deal. I think that's why Giada was on her best behavior. I wish they'd go back to Bob and Suzie being the final word and get rid of the other three except for having them come in to help out now and then.

What a load of odorous crap. I've decided to stop thinking about this as a show about food anything, but instead think of it as a poorly made game show & the prize is the win. This is swirling down the toilet more each episode.

The only ones left I can even tolerate are Nicole & Emma, but I think that's just because they don't annoy me. I loathe Lenny so much that it hurts. I also want to hurt Sarah with her snotty ridiculous blathering. Loreal grates too & her voice makes me stabby. It's been a long time since I've disliked almost everyone. Way to pick the central casting winners there FN!

I thought Giada looked like she was holding in the bitch this week & it was a strain. She really doesn't like women much does she? Or maybe, more specifically, she doesn't like attractive women. I really don't like her either. I think this show may be bad for my blood pressure.

Bobby slamming on Lenny a bit for his lack of knowledge of peppers was my favorite moment of the night. I usually waffle on liking Bobby versus thinking he's an arrogant jerk. He won me over a bit tonight. I honestly believe he has some food knowledge & on this show that's shocking.

• Love 1
(edited)

I predicted that Reuben was the one to go home from the beginning of Sunday nights show. He's been on the chopping block a couple of times now and from that I knew his days were numbered. When Bob said that Reuben couldn't seem to portray what they see in person on camera I knew he was a goner. This is just not the right place for him. I'm sure he is a great cook. The mentors have said that they have liked his good. It's just his personality.

Emma earned herself on the chopping block because of that stupid phony French accent. She should have to apologize to the people of France for the cheesy way she portrayed them. The whole time she was doing the commercial I kept wondering why the French accent. Her food wasn't even as good this time as it has been from what the panel said.

I agree with whoever said Nicole wouldn't be there much longer. She is so stiff on camera but do natural when she does the commentary. She has cooking chops but I'm not sure she has the personality to have a tv show.

Chris seems to be improving and moving up in the pack. I think this is the first week he wasn't in the bottom 2 or 3.

I really don't like any of them except I do have to say that they seem to be better cooks than in past contests.

I don't know if I am reading into things but does it seem like the mentors seem to be giving more feedback to some of the contestants and not others? I didn't notice it as much as I did last week.

No, Giada, we DO NOT LIKE LENNY! Does anybody like Lenny? His phony shtick is annoying. Taking his hat off, calling women "Ma'am", that's condescending, not politeness.

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Lenny but it seems like Giada and the other mentors seem to like him. I'm not sure I can watch a show with him. He does have a lot of personality and cooking chops and seems to be a natural in front of an audience or camera. He would probably be less work than some of them. L'Oreal would be another easy one yo work with. When she starts with the butcher babe schtick she's got the personality and most of her food is good.

I don't agree with Bob and Susie about Emma. I think she just had a bad week. I don't think she has as much work to do as some of the others. I think they all have work to do to become camera ready. Yes, even Lenny.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3

Lots of hot sauces, kind of boring, & why did Sarah think that baby food would make people think of Texas? I will admit I laughed when the director asked Lenny what his commercial had to do with the Great Wall of China & he said "Goooood question!" I knew it was going to be Reuben, he has never been good on camera, at least Emma & Nicole have. As for Christopher's butter, does he know somebody already makes this?

I've made that butter before and The Pioneer Woman has even talked about how she makes it. I think Chris should get credit though for actually not being painfully bad on the commercial as he has been with timing and speed of talking. He's listening to the mentors advice.

By the way..... I missed Alton tonight. I really like his feedback and honesty. I don 't mind when Giada isn't there but I do like Bobby and Alton. Giada can be bitchy to the other women contestants especially Sarah. She definitely hates her and seems to want her to fail. She was right today when she said that Sarah should have mentioned she was a mom and that Texas had nothing to do with where her commercial location was. If someone didn't know anything about Sarah they would wonder why she was making and selling baby food.

When Giada whispered advice to Lenny, she acted like she was being sneaky. It did seem like she was working extra hard to help him.

Giada is sneaky like that..... Bobby fave advice but he made sure he was giving everyone advice.

No, Giada, we DO NOT LIKE LENNY!  Does anybody like Lenny?  His phony shtick is annoying.  Taking his hat off, calling women "Ma'am", that's condescending, not politeness.

I'm female and I don't find him condescending at all.  I think he has an authentic schtick.  That sounds like an oxymoron but.................... Cowboy cook is what he does for a living.  It's not an act he puts on for FNS.  He lives the role, belt buckle and all I'd guess.  I always look at people's eyes and what I see in Lenny is a genuinely nice guy with some insecurities. And he can cook.  I do wish he'd turn it down a notch but I like him.

• Love 7

AQUARIUS, ON 06 JUL 2014 - 9:33 PM, SAID:

She fulfills every stereotype I've ever heard about Texas.

She's probably one of those people who think Texas should secede from the US.

My daughter was following Alton's live tweets during the show.  When asked which of the three should go, he tweeted, "ALL OF THEM."

What was behind the judges telling the contestants who would have which background.  It would have been fairer if the contestants chose envelopes containing the locations.

• Love 4

What was behind the judges telling the contestants who would have which background. It would have been fairer if the contestants chose envelopes containing the locations.

I totally agree. They set up a perfect fail for Reuben. Giving Sarah a tropical location....maybe Bobby hoped she'd come out in a bikini.

• Love 1

I thought Giada looked like she was holding in the bitch this week & it was a strain. She really doesn't like women much does she? Or maybe, more specifically, she doesn't like attractive women. I really don't like her either.

That must be why she seemed nicer to Sarah this week.  I noticed overall niceness from Giada and the teeth weren't quite so prominent.

If the contestants could have chosen there own background this would have been a pretty good episode (for this season).  I was impressed that nearly all the food tasted good (except Loreal's).  Loreal's persona bugs me a lot!  When she does a talking head she uses a normal tone of voice and sounds like a rational human being, but when she's in front of the judges or doing a presentation, her pitch goes higher, she puts on the accent and does that ditzo personality that is so fake.  I definitely wouldn't vote for her. 

• Love 1

OVC2mfw.gifcooksdelight,      Sarah in a bikini .....!!!!!  After the assault on our eyes with Lenny's shirtless stunt, the only over-exposure that we will be subjected to is LBH's cleavage.

• Love 1

"The black mamba is the other side of Lenny..."

In the words of Frasier Crane: "Oh dear god!"

I don't need another side of Lenny. Really, I don't. Besides, when in h*ll would a cowboy have ever met a black mamba? They live in Africa. Sidewinder or diamondback? OK, but Black Mamba Branding Iron is just a mess.

• Love 2
(edited)
Besides, when in h*ll would a cowboy have ever met a black mamba? They live in Africa. Sidewinder or diamondback? OK, but Black Mamba Branding Iron is just a mess.

Maybe they have black mambas in the Republic of Texas.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

Let's have them create a product that represents their brand, then put them in a location to sell it that has NOTHING to do with their product or brand, then tear them apart when their commercials make no sense. 

Loreal lucked out with the tomato garden. Almost all of them could have done something with that. Her product was ridiculous though. Damn! what the hell are you supposed to do with that stuff?

I hate watch this show. 

Giada loved the pie guy last year. Loved him. Two things going for Lenny over pah stahl:  1) No singing (yet)   2) Lenny seems to be able to cook

Maybe they have black mambas in the Republic of Texas.

Ha! And maybe they are fed baby food there. Or babies?

About hurled at all of Sarah's "mommy" talk. "Mommies love teeny tiny things." "Tiny tummies." BARF. Which is what a lot of Republic of Texas babies will be doing if that food ever gets on the shelves.

• Love 2

My daughter was following Alton's live tweets during the show.  When asked which of the three should go, he tweeted, "ALL OF THEM."

He had a few interesting post-its during that run:

Q: Why is Sarah still on this show???

A: I'll tell you why: The producers liked her interviews.

Q: Why do the challenges suck so much this year?

A: Well, I'll be honest: No one asked the judges!

Q: Why is there such a small emphasis on cooking this season:

A: That is a VERY good question. #WeJudgesWerePissed

Q: And, yet, last week you sent home the contestant who made the best dish. Seems like you could have emphasized cooking then.

A: The point was the DEMO & he demo'd diddly.

There were a whole bunch of other things, but I've extracted the ones I thought were interesting to things we've talked about recently.

I understand and have always watched this show with the belief that the vast majority of what happens is a result of people making decisions they believe will improve THIS show. The premise of the show is to find a Food Network Star, but the production of the show has to center around making this show entertaining.

So I give the producers a lot of room when I see things like they might be keeping around a contestant a little longer because she gives good interviews. I actually have almost no problem with that. Seems like standard reality TV show stuff, and I'm sure that I get more entertainment from good interviews than I do get satisfaction from people getting eliminated in the proper order. And I am only tuning in because I want to be entertained.

But when the producers of a reality show tinker with the format to create drama in a way that fundamentally changes the premise of a show, I can quickly lose interest. For example, when Top Chef Masters shifted from "Bring together accomplished chefs and put them through the same competition as the regular Top Chef contestants", to "Bring together accomplished chefs and give them challenges that are way more difficult than the normal Top Chef contestants", I found myself really turned off. I wanted to see great chefs kick ass and show me where the bar should be set for the regular show, and I got that for the first season. Then they changed it and made the poor bastards cook in a camper or in the back of a taco bell, and then they judged them harshly for not producing TCM quality results.

And the same thing happens on this show sometimes. For example, the idea of make a product and a commercial that conveys your POV is actually a terrific challenge. And then to ratchet up the drama, we're going to put you on a green screen background that has NOTHING to do with any of the other important components of the challenge. Is there anybody who looks at this in hindsight and thinks the assigned backgrounds ADDED something to the show?

The problem for me and probably for the producers is figuring where the line is for each challenge. I personally didn't have a problem with assigning specific American dishes to the contestants last week and telling them to figure out a way to make a version that goes with their POV. I thought that a good POV leaves plenty of room for interpretation. But other people have made convincing arguments that it wasn't a fair challenge. 

So I understand there is a big game the producers are playing while they try to make this show be as interesting as possible. I am usually willing to give them some slack, but I think they screwed up with this one.

• Love 4

I really liked watching the packaging/marketing part of the episode.  Picking out graphics, the containers, piece of burlap for a ribbon.  Thought that was really cool.

Would watch a show all about marketing and packaging.  Is there something out there like that that I'm missing?

• Love 2