Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Product Commercial

• Start Topic

I'd love it if during one of these really stupid and bizarre challenges that someone made homemade dog treats and went into a big spiel about healthy eating for your pet. It might blow Giada's teeth out of her head.

Especially since the judges would then have to taste them.  [i'm waiting patiently for the day when a cheftestant on any show I watch decides they have no chance to win and intentionally makes the most nauseating plate of food imaginable as a deliberate Screw You to their judges.]

I am not a huge fan of TNIC, but I do like the way the challenges are at least nominally structured to test qualities desirable in an Iron Chef.  There's not a whole lot about any of these challenges that really pinpoints for Kermit and Medusa who deserves a show on their network.  This, as so many have said, is a self-contained show that, if by a chance a star breaks out, sees it as a bonus.  It seems like every day there's a new show on FN or CC hosted by someone who didn't have to run this gauntlet.

And I've watched Bobby Flay on many different shows over the years and I don't know a thing about him except he's an Irish guy who cooks Southwestern.  And that's all I need to know, because clearly the man can cook.  What is this freaking obsession with forcing these competitors to share their personal lives and tie everything they do to their upbringing?  Where does FN get the idea that viewers need to know??? 

And speaking of Kermit and Medusa, I almost miss having them there every week, because it means LBH is there instead. 

• Love 1
What is this freaking obsession with forcing these competitors to share their personal lives and tie everything they do to their upbringing?  Where does FN get the idea that viewers need to know?

I hope, but have no faith in the notion that, they don't really think they need to share their personal lives and tie everything they do their upbringing. I think what they're really after is please be telegenic, authoritative, and interesting on camera simultaneously. At least, that's my idealized version in my head of what they really want.

BUT with the amateurs they cast, they are generally none of these things, or one and not the other two. And "be interesting" is a really vague direction to give. So instead, they keep hammering home the whole "tie it to YOU" spiel because that is a clear direction. That's something specific they can tell someone to do when they really mean "make me like you by watching you do this". And then hopefully, if this person actually is both an authority and interesting, when they do that, the result will be good. So they're telling them to share in an attempt to cull out whatever it is we're supposed to like about them.

The problem is when the people are not interesting, even when they do know what they're talking about. If someone on the show were charismatic, knowledgeable and witty on their first go on any of these silly challenges, without ever saying a damn word about their nana or the old country and their childhood hopes and dreams, I would HOPE that nary a judge would say a word about how they didn't see "you" or "your heritage" iff the person were good at everything they are asking them to be good at and engaging to watch. Except people who go for reality shows are rarely polished enough that they could swing that on the spot in this kind of pressure situation. So it doesn't happen, so we lather-rinse-repeat on the requests for heartfelt personal bullshit from what really should just be a request that someone be watchable.

• Love 4

It's interesting to me watching this show as someone who met Guy Fieri in person, unintentionally and not on camera (well part of it was, but I was at the restaurant for hours and they were only filming the commercial for a few minutes).  Honestly I think he would've driven me nuts if he was 'on' all the time, but he wasn't and he was a really great guy. I like watching him because I remember those 'real' moments when I was chit-chatting with him.

When I watch this show it makes me wonder if I'd like these people in person if they weren't in their "on camera" personas. I bet I would, but I wish we could somehow see more of that to get an idea of how they really are.

• Love 1

When I watch this show it makes me wonder if I'd like these people in person if they weren't in their "on camera" personas. I bet I would, but I wish we could somehow see more of that to get an idea of how they really are.

That's why I hate they no longer show us the contestants living in the house they keep them sequestered in. It was a way to really get to know the contestants when they were being themselves. Top Chef does it still, you get to watch them hanging out, talking about their families, etc. Even Hell's Kitchen does it to some degree. Now, they just want us to see the "manufactured" version of each contestant.

• Love 2

That's why I hate they no longer show us the contestants living in the house they keep them sequestered in. It was a way to really get to know the contestants when they were being themselves. Top Chef does it still, you get to watch them hanging out, talking about their families, etc. Even Hell's Kitchen does it to some degree. Now, they just want us to see the "manufactured" version of each contestant.

For the life of me, I cannot remember another house other than the infamous Penny/Jylll/Mary Beth house.  I thought at the time they only started showing the house scenes because they had such DRAH-MAH going on there . . . I remember being annoyed because of that, and all it did for me was prove what a hateful person Penny was, which was already obvious through the competition and talking heads anyway . . . I got nothing more out of it than that. 

What other seasons did they show the house?

t's interesting to me watching this show as someone who met Guy Fieri in person, unintentionally and not on camera (well part of it was, but I was at the restaurant for hours and they were only filming the commercial for a few minutes).  Honestly I think he would've driven me nuts if he was 'on' all the time, but he wasn't and he was a really great guy. I like watching him because I remember those 'real' moments when I was chit-chatting with him.

I'm not a huge fan of his DD&D personality - or the show itself, which seems to endorse the massive, super-caloric plates that seem more appropriate to an extreme eating competition - but on this show, whenever I see him, he's very appealing. He's usually mentoring them through an individual challenge and A) he's extremely helpful, encouraging and patient, plus B) he really seems to know what he's doing. FNS has actually gotten me to like Guy Fieri.

• Love 2
(edited)

Since I'm a newbie to this show can anyone tell me if any of the previous winners have a show on FN or is this just a ruse to have a lame reality show ???

To answer your first question, yes. Damaris Phillips is on each Sunday morning, Jeff Mauro has a show, Sandwich King, there are reruns of shows by Aarti Sequeria and Melissa D'Aarabian. Others have had shows that are no longer airing. Guy Fieri is their most successful winner.

In answer to your second question, yes, this is a lame reality show. :)

Here is a rundown of each season, who won, what show they had, etc.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Network_Star

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1

How important is it that these people can cook well?  It's not like the viewer will ever be able to taste it.  If you make their dish at home and it tastes bad, you just figure you didn't follow the recipe correctly. Although, I suppose if every recipe you try turns out badly, you would stop watching.  So it is somewhat important that the episode provides a recipe that is tasty, but it isn't important that the chef on tv is able to come up with a tasty recipe on his/her own. 

It is important that they have a personality that will make viewers want to watch (which means different things to different people) and that they sound like like an authority - say "julienne" instead of "cut it up into long thin pieces."

I don't know if Bobby or Giada or any of the other FN hosts are good cooks.  I assume they are because they sound like they are and because of the notion that they wouldn't have a show if they couldn't cook.

So, with this logic, they should be basing their winner on personality and they ability to cook and talk at the same time (and talk like they know what they are doing) - not on how well they cook.  This seems to be the criteria they are using - but the problem is that they tell us how the food tastes, which changes things.  People may watch a cooking show assuming that they host can cook well, but they probably won't watch a show when they have been told by "authorities" that host serves bland food. 

Bobby, Giada, and Alton all have culinary school training. Bobby has multiple restaurants and cookbooks. Giada worked for Wolfgang Puck, had a catering business, and was a personal chef. So, yeah, I'd say they can all cook. But they're not picking the winner - FN execs are. Based on what I've seen of Bobby on Iron Chef, I'd say he's a damn good cook, which is probably why he's focused on the cooking abilities. But that isn't the point of THIS show. They've had winners that I'd never try one of their recipes. I watch less and less of FN, and rely on PBS to really learn new things. Support your local PBS stations!

• Love 2

What Chessie Girl said!    PBS is where I get actual food content (Martha, Cook's Country, Sarah Moulton, Hubert Keller...) 

That said, I appreciate the snarkability of this show.  That's why I'm on Team Lenny.  I think he's one of the better cooks left (his pepper tasting was a farce in my opinion) and he's every bit as believable as SemiHo Sandy saving us money (spice packets for all!!!!!).

I finally found the song they play in the commercial for this lameass show. "On Our Way" by The Royal Concept. Catfish used it in one of their recent episodes, too. Just in case it was bugging anyone else like it bugged me. :)

I finally found the song they play in the commercial for this lameass show. "On Our Way" by The Royal Concept.

I've been meaning to ask for weeks if anyone can understand what's being sung in those commercials.  I can't understand a word of it.

Thanks for the link.  I'd never heard of the group or the song so I had no clue what to Google before your first post.  Who in the heck is David?  The lyrics don't seem to have a thing to do with a group contest situation.

The show used to feature a lot more cooking than it has this year.  I have watched every season and it seems to me that this year has had the least amount of cooking of any and has been loaded with nonsensical tasks.

• Love 3

The show used to feature a lot more cooking than it has this year.  I have watched every season and it seems to me that this year has had the least amount of cooking of any and has been loaded with nonsensical tasks.

Yeah, I feel like in a few years I'll be able to send in an audition tape of me making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich my grandmother used to make for me and I'll be able to win the entire thing.

• Love 5

Yeah, I feel like in a few years I'll be able to send in an audition tape of me making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich my grandmother used to make for me and I'll be able to win the entire thing.

Only if you can make that sandwich while riding a unicycle through flaming hoops while presenting your POV to the camera. :)

• Love 2

I think its because food network is becoming more than cooking. Look at all the shows that are on. Most of them are games or reality type of shows (cutthroat kitchen, Beat Bobby Flay, Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, Mystery Diners, Restaurant Stakeout ) talk show like The Kitchen, there's very little cooking anymore. Basically Giada At Home, Barefoot Contessa, Pioneer Woman, Trisha Yearwood ' s show are the cooking shows. Rachael's show is reruns, Secrets of a Restaurant a Chef is no more. They're going more and more into the big personality types than just watching someone cook.

I wish they'd let us suggest things for the hosts/judges to do. I can think of so many devilish challenges for Giada. Like holding her head under water for ..... oh..... forever? LOL!!

lets talk real torture for Giada - a season full of only wearing turtlenecks...muahahahaha

• Love 3
(edited)

Giada at the Cromwell. Four and a half stars on Yelp. 

Emma's stories about Thailand and Jamaica made me wonder if she had adopted my strategy and was just making shit up. Next week she'll be talking about foraging for mushrooms in Norway.

Edited by xaxat