Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Kip1 said:

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think the winner is going to be a set up. IIRC, last season they brought in two or three local appraisers and averaged their appraisals. Jasmine's house was only $15,000 more than Mina's - a drop in the bucket on a million-dollar house. The more "designer" houses - Allison's and Leanne's were in 3rd and 4th - they clearly got dinged for not appealing to a wide audience. The design vs value couldn't have been more apparent than in Leanne's kitchen. Leanne took down a wall of cabinets and put up a rock wall. I couldn't believe she won the kitchen challenge. Yes, it looked great but it was totally impractical in terms of lack of storage and being nearly impossible to clean. I'm sure the appraisers devalued it.

I don't think Leanne won the kitchen challenge.  I think she only won the Master Bedroom/Bath challenge.  

I was groaning that A&M came up with the retaining wall extra area because I thought they would win but then the stupid idea of the putting green...no..just no.  I knew they wouldn't win because it was the same as the bowling alley last week.

T&D had a beautiful front yard and I bet if they did something on the level floor such as an outdoor kitchen;/patio area they may have won.

I loved N&J's space.  I love the screened in porch and now that I know the floor isn't slippery I love it even more.  They did a good job on the yard too.  They deserved the win.  I didn't like the potted plants but then I have potted plants in my front yard so who am I to talk

B&M are still boring. There's something about them that makes their spaces meh for some reason.  I like them and their show but they are not rocking the block.  I'm with you guys I bet they win.

I wonder why they didn't have Dave and Jenny Marrs in this.  They'd be perfect for this show.

• Love 3

My thoughts on the last ep: N&J seem like they have more money or something the way they say they are throwing money at everything,  I really like screened in porches and I agree the tile floor would not be slippery if not polished . A&M: I hated the giant golf ball and it looked like something you would see at a putt putt golf place. I can''t imagine even professional golfers would want such an eyesore in their backyard. Mike seems almost invisible here like he is not allowed to make any decisions. I would love to know what goes on behind the scenes, T&D: I liked their house but the back seemed unfinished. They seem to have a weird approach like they have zero interest in winning or appealing to buyers. M&B: I liked the pergola and thought they did a good job of making a livable space. 

I do wonder why there seems to be such huge front yards here. This looks like this would typically be a subdivision with a main driveway and maybe a common green area with benches or something. Trying to make a large front yard individual doesn't quite work here but I did think all of the planting looks nice. Of course Allison gets rids of trees once she orders them, I don't like her diva personaity. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I just watch the last few minutes to see the results, because I'm really bored with watching the contestants run around being hysterical.      I like watching remodeling, and design, but this time everyone seems hysterical, and doing designs I just didn't like.      (I also am sort of watching hoarders too, and don't want to miss the last lying screen on that show, claiming the hoarder has changed).    I'm sure they'll have this episode next Sunday before the finale. 

Note that the finale is until 9:32 Central.    

Was it M & B's house that had that blue sand, or gravel around the fire pit?   I found that hideous.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1

I think the houses have big front yards in order to have them as far away from the road as possible. The road looks like a busy one. Who would want to pay a heck of a lot of money for a house right on a noisy, busy road?

• Useful 1

N&J - I agree with N&J winning but I really hated the potted plants in their front yard.  To me it looks like the landscapers didn't finish and are coming back tomorrow to put them in the ground.  I think they would have looked much better in ground.

M&A - What is it with Allison and putting greens?  She put one of those in in one of her Windy City Rehab houses too and I really didn't like the gravel walkway.  Why is Mike letting her do all this stuff?  He doesn't seem to have much input.

D&T - I really didn't like the chocolate brown on all the decking.  If anything it should have been the same dark color as the shutters and slats on the front of the house.  And, they didn't even bother to sod the backyard?  They just thought their view would win it?

B&M - Nothing really wrong with it but it was just kinda "meh".  I think the glass railing looked a bit out of place with everything else being wood and the metal pergola top really didn't go.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Kip1 said:

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think the winner is going to be a set up. IIRC, last season they brought in two or three local appraisers and averaged their appraisals. Jasmine's house was only $15,000 more than Mina's - a drop in the bucket on a million-dollar house. The more "designer" houses - Allison's and Leanne's were in 3rd and 4th - they clearly got dinged for not appealing to a wide audience. The design vs value couldn't have been more apparent than in Leanne's kitchen. Leanne took down a wall of cabinets and put up a rock wall. I couldn't believe she won the kitchen challenge. Yes, it looked great but it was totally impractical in terms of lack of storage and being nearly impossible to clean. I'm sure the appraisers devalued it.

I'm not sure I trust a lot of these appraisers. Just being open concept would immediately make the house worth a LOT less to me, yet it seems to be a requirement for too many others. White or grey shaker cabinets and counters that are the same in the kitchen as in the bathroom make a house seem cheap and boring in my appraisal, as it would cost me money to change that out, yet all these flippers and supposed "custom" builders on HGTV do only that. Real estate appraisal might be just as hinky as art appraisal. 

• Love 2

I absolutely agree about A. and the putting greens.   I think if you're that committed of a golfer, you would want to be near the course, and close enough to drive your cart there.        I liked M & B's outdoor kitchen, and dining, but the fire pit area was a big fail for me.    

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Kip1 said:

Allison won the kitchen  and couldn't shut up about how wonderful she is.  Leanne won the bathroom because she changed the whole room and put the tub in the center.

• Love 1
(edited)

When Alison said she hoped the judges were golfers, I said, “Guys named Carmine don’t golf!” I was right! 😆 I hated that putting green. She’s done that on WCR. Brian and Mika’s outdoor kitchen was better than hers. I’m glad Nate and Jeremiah won. There’s was my fave. The screened porch (except for the marble on the porch. 🤦‍♀️) was ideal for the locale. BTW, I think Nate and Jeremiah are an adorable couple.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I don't think Leanne won the kitchen challenge.  I think she only won the Master Bedroom/Bath challenge.  

I was groaning that A&M came up with the retaining wall extra area because I thought they would win but then the stupid idea of the putting green...no..just no.  I knew they wouldn't win because it was the same as the bowling alley last week.

T&D had a beautiful front yard and I bet if they did something on the level floor such as an outdoor kitchen;/patio area they may have won.

I loved N&J's space.  I love the screened in porch and now that I know the floor isn't slippery I love it even more.  They did a good job on the yard too.  They deserved the win.  I didn't like the potted plants but then I have potted plants in my front yard so who am I to talk

B&M are still boring. There's something about them that makes their spaces meh for some reason.  I like them and their show but they are not rocking the block.  I'm with you guys I bet they win.

I wonder why they didn't have Dave and Jenny Marrs in this.  They'd be perfect for this show.

I like Dave and Jenny.  I could watch them on the show.  My problem with N&J's house  is I don't like sandy brown brick.  It is just blah.  I am also not crazy about the marble flooring everywhere.  Reminds me of a 50's diner, my grandma's kitchen and beetle juice. 

• Love 3

So...clearly Nate and Jeremiah have never mowed a lawn. I can't imagine how you mow the center of their little garden thing. And how you don't end up with grass clippings in the gravel and gravel in the grass. Similarly, Mike, the rubber mulch is a okay if you don't have any trees anywhere at all. Cuz guess what, leaves fall into it, if you try to blow the leaves out, you blow some of the mulch into your grass but if you leave the leaves in, they turn into dirt and weeds will then grow. And grass clippings end up in there too.

I liked the pergola. I didn't like the putting green but it wouldn't be too hard to pull it out and grow some grass

David and Tiffany must be having budgeting problems. They couldn't even get a cheapy bed to stage the basement bedroom and they did absolutely nothing interesting in the back. Maybe spend less on pink paint and save some for a product-placement sun shade for the back.

Someone make instructions on how to make Mike's thinker light. Me wanty.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The judge commenting about N&J's marble floor getting slippery when wet - it literally has a roof over it!  It's a covered porch, that keeps the rain out so it shouldn't get wet.  Did he make the same inane comment about everyone else's wooden floors?  They'll get slippery when wet also.  If anything, the screens should keep some of sideways rain out.  And I love that marble tile, it looks gorgeous!

People put in putting greens out here where it doesn't snow.  But it's something the homeowner does for themselves.  I doubt it would be a selling feature in a multi-bedroom home, aka a house filled with kids, where there's no backyard play space.  Then again, these were the people who thought a "bourbon room" would be a selling point.

I liked B&M's pergola a lot.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The judge commenting about N&J's marble floor getting slippery when wet - it literally has a roof over it!  It's a covered porch, that keeps the rain out so it shouldn't get wet.  Did he make the same inane comment about everyone else's wooden floors?  They'll get slippery when wet also.  If anything, the screens should keep some of sideways rain out.  And I love that marble tile, it looks gorgeous!

People put in putting greens out here where it doesn't snow.  But it's something the homeowner does for themselves.  I doubt it would be a selling feature in a multi-bedroom home, aka a house filled with kids, where there's no backyard play space.  Then again, these were the people who thought a "bourbon room" would be a selling point.

I liked B&M's pergola a lot.

It would get wet if someone spilled drinks and mopped the floor

• Love 1

If they have a third season I wonder who they will have as contestants.  I just really hope if Alison loses they will not keep bringing her back until she finally wins.

I have a feeling that Dave and Jenny Marrs would not want to be gone from their kids for that long  Also, they have a farm so they would have to get someone to watch everything there.  Same for Erin and Ben- she would not want to disrupt Helen's routine and even their new show was filmed within driving distance of Laurel.

• Love 4

I don't golf, although I am a golf orphan.  Putting is relaxing and fun to do.  If that side of the house is shady, having the turf there is perfect.  I even liked the golf ball statue.  I loved the front patio of N & J, with no real back yard to these houses, I think more people will use the front more, and can enjoy watching their children, or hanging with the neighbors in the front.  Around here, I am seeing more places encourage hanging out in the front more, as a neighborly thing.  

• Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 11:00 PM, justdoit10 said:

Craftsman and Victorian chick here, all the way. Agree with you on N&J brick color.  I hate brown, sandy brick.  I would never buy a house that color.  I also thought the plants should have been in the ground.  That was strange.  Allison and Mikes was a borefest.  I thought David and Tiffany had a house that caught your eye, along with Mika's and Brian's.  I would look at those.  The screened in porch seemed to be the deal breaker.  

Seems to me whenever we see this shade of brick on other HGTV shows, they always paint over it.   There are more appealing shades of brick than what they chose.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, disconnected said:

If Mika and Brian win overall after not winning any of the spaces, I'll know this contest is rigged. Their lack of interesting design and weird concepts show their builder background. I thought it was going to be a toss-up between Dave & Tiffany and Alison & Mike when the show began. But now it appears it's between Nate & Jeremiah and Alison & Mike. D & T still have a chance because of the mother-in-law suite and mud room. I hope either N & J or D & T win because Alison is being such a brat.

To me Mika and Brian are most in tune with what a Georgia buyer, particularly someone buying in the exurbs might want.  If they win, that will be the reason.

Example above with N&J's all brick house.  When discussing why they chose all brick they said they noticed that all brick houses are unusual in the area.    My immediate thought was I bet there is a good reason why all brick houses are not popular.  Either they aren't practical for the area or they aren't considered a value to the buyer.  Same thing with the rental suite.   There is likely not a huge demand for basement rentals in what appears to be the exurbs of Atlanta.   Although it may work as a MIL Suite.

Not a fan of N&J or A&M.  Although I've like many of their rooms.   They seem to look down a bit on M&B and D&T and don't consider either competition.   Hoping for a M&B just to see the sour looks on N&J and A (maybe not Mike's) faces.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pine said:

.I loved the front patio of N & J, with no real back yard to these houses, I think more people will use the front more, and can enjoy watching their children, or hanging with the neighbors in the front.  Around here, I am seeing more places encourage hanging out in the front more, as a neighborly thing.  

I think the owners would enjoy the screened porch. Having said that, I live in Georgia and many neighbors have unscreened front porches with the ubiquitous rocking chairs, which are mostly for decoration. No one ever sits outside on them to hang out with neighbors, but they are not screened. Screened in porches on the back of houses get much more use here. I spend hours in my back-of-the-house "Florida Room" porch for the better part of the year to read and watch TV. For the two months of winter we put up storm windows over the screens and use heaters out there.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, After7Only said:

Example above with N&J's all brick house.  When discussing why they chose all brick they said they noticed that all brick houses are unusual in the area.    My immediate thought was I bet there is a good reason why all brick houses are not popular.  Either they aren't practical for the area or they aren't considered a value to the buyer.  Same thing with the rental suite.   There is likely not a huge demand for basement rentals in what appears to be the exurbs of Atlanta.   Although it may work as a MIL Suite.

I live in Georgia. Actually, you find many more brick homes here and they are very desirable. In our subdivision the houses with other types of siding are known as "Jimmy Carter houses"--they were built when he was president and mortgage interest rates were high so builders didn't use brick because of the cost and, thus, the higher priced homes are brick.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
23 hours ago, KeithJ said:

M&A - What is it with Allison and putting greens?  She put one of those in in one of her Windy City Rehab houses too and I really didn't like the gravel walkway.  Why is Mike letting her do all this stuff?  He doesn't seem to have much input.

Gravel is the cheap way to go.   Can you image dinner guests in high heels trying to walk on that without twisting an ankle?  I'm sure any buyer would want a proper sidewalk in front and sod in back instead of wasting money on the putting green.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Seems to me whenever we see this shade of brick on other HGTV shows, they always paint over it.   There are more appealing shades of brick than what they chose.

To me Mika and Brian are most in tune with what a Georgia buyer, particularly someone buying in the exurbs might want.  If they win, that will be the reason.

I agree they'd have done better with a lovely red brick. I think there aren't many newbuild brick houses because they're expensive. And, just like with open concept w/g/s builders and HGTV have convinced people they're ugly unless it's white or black or that horrible schmear. I really hope M&B don't win. Their houses looks builder grade inside and out. 

• Love 1

As a transplant to the South, I spent the first half of this episode yelling “screen something in!!!” at this episode. A house in GA backing up to a boggy backyard with pine trees and a lake? The bugs have got to be in.sane. I can’t believe that N&J were the only ones to screen anything in. 

• Love 17

Basements:

N & J -  They knocked it out of the park!! Simple yet sophisticated.  I actually like the basement better than anything they did upstairs. They deserved to win because they definitely added extra value to their house and it was gorgeous!  

D & T - NO NO NO on the blush color!  Blush accents...yes OR blush walls...yes OR blush ping pong table...yes.  NOT ALL OF THEM!!  The metal "sculpture" was awful.  The 6th bedroom could have easily been staged so I don't understand why it wasn't.  NO NO NO on the deer head!

B & M -  The bowling alley was totally cool, but it doesn't add any value and not everyone is going to think it's awesome. They should have added a small kitchenette though - just big enough for a small fridge and a few cabinets for snacks, etc.  The MIL suite was nice and followed the same design as upstairs.  It would be easy to change out if a family wanted to do something different with the space. 

M & A - Basic finished basement.  Game room - check, bar - check, extra room with barn doors - check. Allison never has any original ideas.  She has designed this house with so much wasted space.  Bourbon room/flex space on the main floor, office/flex space in the basement, etc. When Mike pointed out the large window in the future bedroom, Allison agreed and commented how it was possible because of the "light and vent."  I wish Mike would have mentioned it being an egress window.  She probably doesn't even know what that means. The lamp was kind of cool, but I'm disappointed that he didn't use the pipe from the heavy metal challenge for curtain rods.  

I'm surprised none of the teams (except N & J since they were going for a rental space) didn't have a designated room for a gym and/or a child's playroom.

Exteriors:

N & J - loved the screened in porch!  I liked that the entire exterior of the house was done with brick and I loved the black trim, but I didn't like the shutters.  The huge white planters with the trees and bushes were so ugly - why didn't they just plant them in the ground?  The stone steps from the front to back was a great idea; however, the back deck was a disappointment.  I'm assuming they did nothing with the backyard since it was never shown.  What a let down. I didn't think they deserved to win.

M & A - I liked the retaining wall, but the putting green was stupid!  And that huge golf ball "sculpture" will be the first thing that ends up in the trash when the homeowners move in.  I like the idea of an outdoor kitchen but they didn't really have one.  It looked more like an oversized grill.  Plus, to have it on the basement level is not practical, especially since they have to walk up and down INSIDE the house.  The front exterior looked like any other model tract home.  The plants and paint/siding colors were bland and underwhelming.

D & T -  I liked their Tudor style exterior. I liked their front yard, but it was super disappointing that NOTHING was done in the backyard except an outdoor couch on the deck.  Since they had a lake view, that should have given them all the more reason to make the backyard awesome! 

B & M - I think they should have won. I can't believe they were the only team that installed stairs!  At least when they have to go down to their outdoor kitchen, they have a set of stairs.  The front yard was fine.  The pergola was cool and I'm surprised at the judge's reactions to it.  They had a nice outdoor kitchen, but I though the fire pit was kind of "messy".  

All in all, I'm disappointed with everyone's backyards.  Considering these homes are mostly catered to families, I'm even more disappointed that none of the teams did any type of play area.  No place for a swing set or sandbox, trampoline, etc. 

I hated that Alison told Nate and Jeramiah that D & T and B & M were no threat to her because D & T's house was just "crazy" and B & M were basically idiots by putting a bedroom on the first floor with no en suite.  B & M had it staged as an office.  I would much rather have a main floor office with a window (that could easily be a bedroom or both) rather than a windowless office in the basement...ahem Allison - or as she referred to it "Flex Space". 

On a super vain note, I don't know who the judges were (I've never heard of or seen Inside Out), but they were super good looking!  

• Love 8
On 4/2/2021 at 3:06 AM, Kip1 said:

If the basement unit was going to be used as part of the family's living space and the stove wasn't going to be used, just unplug it or flip the circuit breaker if it's electric, or turn off the gas.

My thoughts exactly!

• Love 3

Season 2 winners are: Brian and Mika 

I just noticed, the M & B bowling alley doesn't have a metal pin setter, the pins are on cables from the top, and just rise back into place.   Much safer than a pin setter machine. 

The judges brought up a good point, N & J's place really wasn't a family house, and the decorating was too high end for the market.   I really like the T & D extra suite on the main floor with the full bath.    On D & T's I didn't mind the entry wall paper, but painting the walls black, and the stair backs blue ombre was too much.    I hated the ombre tile and grout in the main bathroom in M & A's house, and the kitchen brick I didn't like at all.   I really like M & B's back deck with the smart pergola, and stairs down to the patio. 

Someone asked about the whole house generator.  As long as you have a gas line (not propane), it's maintenance free, and if a tornado comes through anywhere on the local electric grid, or you have a lot of rain or an ice storm that takes out tree limbs, your power can be down for a few days.   In that case, losing power for a few days or a week, can seriously impact your life, so anyone I know who has a gas line at their house, gets a whole house generator if they can afford it.  

The biggest flaw to me about B & M's house is the small dining room.   But the huge storage wall, and giant pantry, make up for it.    It has the largest appeal to the widest buying pool.    However, that 'garage' gym, that was a big fail for me.    That seems like something that would really belong in the basement, on a concrete slab (I'm not sure who the garage/gym was done by.       Also, I think the first floor bedroom deserves a full bath, not just a powder room.    I really liked that the back deck had stairs to the patio and back yard.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10

Brian and Mika winning was a travesty. They had the most boring designs and they didn't win any competitions. Nate and Jeremiah should have won. They added a full finished basement that could be used as an  in-law suite.  Alison and Holmes had two master bedroom closets and would been my second choice to win. Even David and Tiffany added a whole first floor bedroom suite plus a mudroom and a movie theater. B &M added a door to a laundry room and bowling alley.  Ho hum.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Well, there was that home gym we were talking about😄

Mika and Brian winning was, as noted earlier, predictable. For whatever reasons the appraising team had to give.

Quick question: Is there a way to program your TV so that whenever screaming Ty or wailing Guy open their mouths, the mute button automatically activates? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 14

Congrats to Brian and Mika! I truly feel like they deserved the win. The judges were right in that all of the other houses definitely seemed designed for a specific client, whereas Brian and Mika's was marketable to a wider range. Seeing the whole of all the houses tonight really brought that point home. The tag at the end that their house sold at full price after only 6 days whereas all the others are still on the market is very telling.

Still don't like Alison and Mike's kitchen, and don't get all the fuss over it. It's bland and boring IMO.

I would guess Nate and Jeremiah's house got the second highest appraisal.

• Love 21
16 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Congrats to Brian and Mika! I truly feel like they deserved the win. The judges were right in that all of the other houses definitely seemed designed for a specific client, whereas Brian and Mika's was marketable to a wider range. Seeing the whole of all the houses tonight really brought that point home. The tag at the end that their house sold at full price after only 6 days whereas all the others are still on the market is very telling.

Still don't like Alison and Mike's kitchen, and don't get all the fuss over it. It's bland and boring IMO.

I would guess Nate and Jeremiah's house got the second highest appraisal.

I agree about Allison’s kitchen, only thing I like is the brick, that is it

21 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

The judges were right in that all of the other houses definitely seemed designed for a specific client, whereas Brian and Mika's was marketable to a wider range. Seeing the whole of all the houses tonight really brought that point home.

I agree. It was nice to see the judges give props for the laundry room setup and the outside deck stairs, which would be tremendously valuable to the people who actually live in the house.  It seemed like B&M really did understand the premise of adding overall value for a buyer, not just value in terms of what looks fancy or pretty. (Although their house had more of what I’d look for in a house as far as looks and function except for missing D&T’s mudroom. That would have made it 100% for me.)

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Finale:

D & T - I liked the idea of the extra bedroom and bath upstairs, but I don't know how much value it would add since the house already had 5 beds/3 baths.  I agree with everything the judges said about the house.  They shouldn't have designed it for themselves and they missed a lot of opportunities.  

M & A - A generator? Does the electricity go out that much?  The ERV was a good idea.  I knew they wouldn't win.  I would say probably 3rd place after N & J coming in 2nd.

N & J - I liked the idea of a home theater but it didn't make any sense IF the basement is going to be rented out.  

N & J are definitely designers.  They are hired for a specific look so I agree with Ken, Anita and Jasmine when they commented that the house looks like it belongs in a magazine, but it really wasn't practical.

B & M - Finally a home gym!  I didn't like the turf - either laminate or gym matting would have looked a lot better.  I don't think the powder room not being a full bath should have been a con since they had a bedroom with a full bath in the basement.  I think most buyers would use the main floor room how it was staged - as an office.  I knew they were going to win and they totally deserved it!

Please don't bring Allison back for season 3.  

All 4 of the homes were listed for $635k.  N & J's and M & A's are pending, but D & T's and B & M's were both were listed "for sale active" as of April 10, 2021 so I'm curious why the show posted that B & M's house sold immediately for full asking. I wonder if Anita and Ken are going to change some of D & T's designs if it doesn't sell after a certain amount of time.  

Does anyone know if the houses from season 1 sold?  The only one I'm aware of that sold was Leanne's.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 3

I'm super curious about the final appraisals because three teams were said to be close, but they didn’t reveal details as far as I saw, besides the winner. I also wish they'd focused more on ROI throughout, especially for stuff like the ombre tile or the brick kitchen that reminded me of Olive Garden but is apparently gorgeous. 

Super fun show, I think D&T were doing some kind of experiment instead of competing. I want more details though. Or a crossover with one of their home buying shows, get some actual buyers and offers. 

• Love 3

M&B's house looks way to builder grade. It's almost as if HGTV is desperately trying to convince people that low quality goods with absolutely no design (which would costs quite a lot in money and time AFTER you've already bought the house) is what people are supposed to want. It's right up there with the builder cost saving idea of open concept. Families have lived for centuries in beautifully designed houses. Why is a place only worth something if it's open concept, white/grey, shaker cabinets (with most likely the exact same in the kitchen AND bathrooms) with stainless steal appliances (as if they work better than others?)?!?! HGTV has made a pact with some cheapo design devil. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I hope the buyers or stagers can take out Brian and Mika's bowling alley and move the gym equipment inside the basement, where there is a bathroom, and, more importantly, air conditioning. I live in metro Atlanta and there's no way I'd work out in a garage in the summer, even with both doors open.

Edited by RowdyCam
  • Love 10

If Nate and Jeremiah had added the door and stairs down from the third garage like Brian and Mika did and then you really could rent out the basement, offer a garage for parking their car, and easy access down the stairs to the living space, and get buku bucks. I know my basement renter would bless my name (and pay extra) if I were able to offer her a garage.

I'm glad Brian and Mika won. They might not have had all the highest end design features, but most of their choices/modifications were good ones--laundry access, covered porch, stairs down, workout space (and yeah, changing the bowling area to a workout zone is probably on the new homeowner's to-do list...after they got a few parties out of the way)... only thing they were missing was a screened in portion (which, being from Florida, you'd think they would know to do). The only thing they failed on was the mudroom space that David and Tiffany created.

So as a design show, they weren't the best. But as a building/selling show...I can see how they won. Any space that makes a BIG statement might be saying "go away!!" to a good portion of of the buyer pool as easily as it could be saying "buy me!!" to others. Bland sells these days.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, juliet73 said:

All 4 of the homes were listed for $635k.  N & J's and M & A's are pending, but D & T's and B & M's were both were listed "for sale active" as of April 10, 2021 so I'm curious why the show posted that B & M's house sold immediately for full asking. I wonder if Anita and Ken are going to change some of D & T's designs if it doesn't sell after a certain amount of time. 

Where did you find the info about the houses being still active? Not that I'm surprised to find out that that HGTV wasn't exactly accurate in the episode. 

• Useful 1

I was glad Brian and Mika won. Once you take out the staged furniture and decorations you need a house that will work for buyers with families. Glass shelves with no real storage in a kitchen isn’t doable for a lot of families. Having a pergola and a way to quickly get in and out of the house and deck makes it easier for a family or having a party. I also think the second floor laundry would be great since you don’t have to carry laundry up and down stairs.

I think a lot of buyers are going to look at what fits with their furniture, their art work and their lifestyle. If you don’t have antiques and formal furniture, your stuff wouldn’t look good in Nate and Jeremiah’s house. I think they will find buyers for all the houses but to me Brian and Mika was the most oriented to a family who can then put their own stamp on it.

• Love 14
42 minutes ago, Sewlitaire said:

Where did you find the info about the houses being still active? Not that I'm surprised to find out that that HGTV wasn't exactly accurate in the episode. 

I don't know where they found it, but I get all my real estate info from realtor.com.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Atlanta_GA/price-600000-800000?view=map&pos=34.064922,-84.814373,34.054567,-84.804717,17&qdm=true

42 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I was glad Brian and Mika won. Once you take out the staged furniture and decorations you need a house that will work for buyers with families. Glass shelves with no real storage in a kitchen isn’t doable for a lot of families. Having a pergola and a way to quickly get in and out of the house and deck makes it easier for a family or having a party. I also think the second floor laundry would be great since you don’t have to carry laundry up and down stairs.

I think a lot of buyers are going to look at what fits with their furniture, their art work and their lifestyle. If you don’t have antiques and formal furniture, your stuff wouldn’t look good in Nate and Jeremiah’s house. I think they will find buyers for all the houses but to me Brian and Mika was the most oriented to a family who can then put their own stamp on it.

I agree.  If I had to pick one of those houses B&M's would be my choice any day.  I could easily add a huge fan or AC unit to the garage workout space, and an extra head in the shower if that's an issue, but getting rid of the gaudy in the other houses would be more of a pain to me.

If I was judging on design alone, I guess I'd give it to Nate and Jeremiah, but for practicality and resale, I'd go with B&M every day.  There are several finishes in the other houses that were just a hard NO from me.

• Love 12

So now we know that whoever doesn't win during the show will win at the end.  They've done that both times.  It's pretty telling that Nate & Jeremiah's and Alison and Mike's homes are the only ones with pending sales.  Liar Liar HGTV for telling us Brian and Mikas house sold already when clearly it's on the market still.

I agree that their house should have won.  Hopefully they can take out the bowling alley and it won't cost too much.  I did think they should have won the master bedroom/bath challenge because I liked the addition of the laundry room.

If David and Tiffany weren't so gaudy they would have been in the running with their added mud room and master suite on the first floor.  Their gaudiness and lack of backyard amenities did them in.

I wanted Nate and Jeremiah to win.  Boo hoo.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

....but getting rid of the gaudy in the other houses would be more of a pain to me.

That's exactlly what I thought throughout the series.  Repainting a black wall and taking down hideous wallpaper would be time consuming and messy.  Who wants to buy a new house knowing that has to be done.

I always give the side eye to designers who use bold patterns in tile or wallpaper.  Something like that is very personal and when I was going to sell my house the realtor told me to get rid of everything bold because it makes it too hard for perspective buyers to picture their furniture in a room.

That brick wall in the kitchen gave me the willies.  Maybe I am not the neatest cook in the world and accidents happen.  How do you scrub spaghetti sauce off of brick?

If this is a neighborhood where families are the norm then M & B really hit it on the head.  So many family friendly things with the exception of that stupid bowling alley.

3 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Liar Liar HGTV for telling us Brian and Mikas house sold already when clearly it's on the market still.

Maybe there was a pending sale that fell through?

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

That's exactlly what I thought throughout the series.  Repainting a black wall and taking down hideous wallpaper would be time consuming and messy.  Who wants to buy a new house knowing that has to be done.

I always give the side eye to designers who use bold patterns in tile or wallpaper.  Something like that is very personal and when I was going to sell my house the realtor told me to get rid of everything bold because it makes it too hard for perspective buyers to picture their furniture in a room.

That brick wall in the kitchen gave me the willies.  Maybe I am not the neatest cook in the world and accidents happen.  How do you scrub spaghetti sauce off of brick?

If this is a neighborhood where families are the norm then M & B really hit it on the head.  So many family friendly things with the exception of that stupid bowling alley.

Maybe there was a pending sale that fell through?

I have a brick arch over my stove and it's never been a problem. It cleans off just fine, but it's a wide arch so it's not like it's right over the pot of sauce anyway.

My big issue with Alison's kitchen is that it seemed incomplete.  It was weird the way it just stopped at the dining area.  I don't get that at all. It looked really unfinished to me.

I do think there was a sale that fell through. On the listing it says B&Ms is new, which seemed odd when the others were already pending. I strongly suspect they had to relist it a couple of days ago. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MaKaM said:

If Nate and Jeremiah had added the door and stairs down from the third garage like Brian and Mika did and then you really could rent out the basement, offer a garage for parking their car, and easy access down the stairs to the living space, and get buku bucks. I know my basement renter would bless my name (and pay extra) if I were able to offer her a garage.

That's a great idea! I was kind of surprised that N&J got full credit for adding two bedrooms in the basement. The "bedroom" with the murphy bed had the entrance door from outside. Who wants to have a bedroom that other people walk through to get in and out? I think you'd only use it occasionally as a guest room.

• Love 2

How do you scrub spaghetti sauce off of brick?

I suppose you can seal it, but that brick was everywhere near the burners. As someone who makes her red sauce from scratch, that kitchen was a no-go for me. The double bedroom closets and the air filtration system were the only things I liked in that house. Not enough to win. And if the show comes back, the return of Alison would be an ongoing comedy bit.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

So now we know that whoever doesn't win during the show will win at the end.  They've done that both times.

I don't think that's accurate. Jasmine won one of the challenge weeks (the outdoor one, if I recall correctly) and won the whole thing in Season 1. Mina was the one who didn't win any week. Or am I on crack? I can't find an episode-winner list anywhere.

Ken and Anita are going to have to have that basement repainted at a minimum in David and Tiffany's space. Like, if you can't step into there without laughing, it isn't a selling feature. Those were not the good "wows".

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

And I noticed tonight that there's very little storage in there...just those glass cabinets, some cabinets around the fridge, and the pantry, which only had cabinets on the bottom?  I didn't see if there was any storage in the island.

Brian and Mika's was definitely designed to appeal to the masses...it was boring, yes, but you didn't have to redo anything, and you could decorate it in whatever style you liked.  It was a blank canvas (with a great laundry room!).

• Love 7

B & M's design was boring in some ways and not the house I would buy but I liked the pergola and the staircase. I was waiting for Jasmine to say something about their house being builder grade because its the 1# thing she'll complain about on her shows.

N&J - I wanted them to win because I like their style and the screened in porch. I'd buy their house and then add a non-smart pergola and a staircase. Having seen their real life home, I was not surprised at all that they aren't kid friendly in mind. Their LA home was a little geared to kids in the main spaces but the current home, it seems like they have the kids adapt.

M & A - There's nothing I really like but it's good to have Mike's safety/quality stamp of approval even if he made some concessions to Alison.

D & T - If I couldn't get N&J's house I'd go for theirs. I like the mudroom, library and I don't mind most of the colours (although I'd be changing some of them). I find the pink basement a fun novelty. I liked that they unintentionally showed that sometime peel and stick wallpaper can cause damage. I've seen a lot of shows encourage using it, especially in rentals but I always worry about the residue when you go to remove it and the potential to damage the walls.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MaKaM said:

I don't think that's accurate. Jasmine won one of the challenge weeks (the outdoor one, if I recall correctly) and won the whole thing in Season 1. Mina was the one who didn't win any week. Or am I on crack? I can't find an episode-winner list anywhere.

Ken and Anita are going to have to have that basement repainted at a minimum in David and Tiffany's space. Like, if you can't step into there without laughing, it isn't a selling feature. Those were not the good "wows".

Jasmine won the outdoor because she built a pool and the other contestants hadn't.

Mina didn't win any challenges (although I preferred her house) but If I remember correctly she was second place.

• Love 1