Type keyword(s) to search

S28:E06: Top 9

• Start Topic

Once Spicy was saved, I knew I wasn't going to like the ending.  I don't mind Ally, but I was rooting for Sailor and that poor girl was CRUSHED.  I never cry at exits, but I teared up for her. 

In shallow news...James' booty.  

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So who got eliminated?

Sailor. 

Well can't say I was expecting that. Not so much Spicer still living to dance another day but Sailor being the one eliminated. I was sure Karamo or hell even Kel might have left before her. 

And no one can say girlfriend wasn't genuinely upset because poor girl had a full on snot moment on national television. Like being eliminated wasn't awful enough. I continue to not care much about this season, though I did enjoy James and Kate. 

eta: And this exactly why I've said, when many were adamant about the whole judges picking who to eliminate that sure it help, but at the end of the day, the  judges can't do a damn thing when a very weak dancer gets enough votes that they're not even in the Bottom 2. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 15
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

Sailor. 

Well can't say I was expecting that. Not so much Spicer still living to dance another day but Sailor being the one to be eliminated. I was sure Karamo or hell even Kel might have left before her. 

And no one can say girlfriend wasn't genuinely upset because poor girl had full on snot moment on national television. Like being eliminated wasn't awful enough. I continue to not care much about this season, though I did enjoy James and Kate. 

Oh wow. I'm very surprised that it wasn’t Sean.

• Love 6

Sailor did not take that well, poor girl.  I thought she was the better of the two but I’m sure they kept Ali because she’s “famous” vs. Christie Brinkley’s daughter.

Spicer will win, they won’t let the judges choose the winner.  They are looking at another Bobby Bones scenario.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Well that was hard to watch.  I knew they were going to save Ally over Sailor but also Sailor was not even a little bit prepared for that and while I do think her emotions were very genuine, I wish somebody had tried to prepare her a little better? I also thought the judges did her a disservice these last three weeks where they fed her solely praise and no constructive criticism on dances that needed constructive criticism.  Did Val never prepare her for the possibility of leaving?

Anyway, this season is kind of a crap shoot on eliminations because talentwise most are in the same place and outside of Sean there is no obvious sucky person.

Also Sean is going to win this season especially if they are going to score him that high.

Anyway, loved Kate, James and Kel tonight.  

I felt for both Karamo and Lauren but emotional contemporaries are not my thing and I'd need to rewatch both to separate the packages from the actual dances.  I really wish they would end contemp/jazz altogether on the show.

• Love 14

Man FUCK this season SEAN SHOULD BE GONE.  He claimed his first real Victim. This fucking sucks. Shame Sean is probably take out more better dancers. Also sucks that Production Pet Hannah will go far. Dont want her to win I'm tired of her. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Lauren's crying after her dance left me cold, I guess because I didn't see any tears.  

Not everybody cries the same way.  Not directed at you but I've seen that theory often that if a person doesn't produce the appropriate amount of tears it's considered fake.  I don't know. I've seen Lauren act and that girl can't act.  She could barely deliver her one line in the stupid opening package so how do people think she put on a whole crying performance?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I really, really hope that we can get rid of Sean sometime soon.  

Sailor really took that elimination hard.  Too bad she got Spicered.  

I wasn't really impressed by some of the dances that the judges were gushing about, besides the Contemporaries which are alway gushed over too much.  That first quick step?  she was so out of sync for most of the dance I couldn't figure out why Len was gushing so much.

• Love 9

Poor Sailor. There were others who should have gone before her. (And I'm going to guess this was a "not necessarily the bottom two" because between her scores and the Fifth Harmony fan base, there's no way Ally was actually in the bottom two. Do I need my tinfoil hat here?)

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I was rooting for Sailor and that poor girl was CRUSHED.  I never cry at exits, but I teared up for her.

The poor little thing. I cried along with her. As soon as they called Sean safe, I wasn't going to be happy with whoever got sent home but that was really hard to watch. I have to give props to Val. He really seemed to want to get her off the stage so she could have some privacy, and you could hear him telling her how great she was when he was holding her. Gosh, that was hard.

On a positive note, Kate and James did so well. I was thrilled for them. And I loved Karamo and Kel, they're really improving. I wish the voters who are voting for Sean would just. . . stop.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

I think the judges have been overpraising Sailor for the last several weeks and I thought the beginning of her jive was rough, but she should have outlasted Spicer.  Everyone should outlast Spicer.

As for Karamo, I only think he was spared the B2 because he had the emotional backstory package whereas Sailor didn't.

• Love 12

Jesus Christ, why the hell is Sean still here? 

Dang, Sailor took that elimination hard. Gotta love the show ending on the image of everyone just standing around her as she's sobbing. 

Um. On to other topics...Lauren's dance was very moving. I loved Tom comforting her as he did when she came over for the judges' comments afterward

And go, James! Work those hips! That was fun :D. Also liked Kel, and Kate looked absolutely lovely during her dance. Karamo had what I'd say is probably his strongest dance tonight, too. I'm glad he and his dad were able to reconcile and are working to improve their relationship :). 

• Love 9
Just now, MsJamieDornan said:

She was never going to win, so hopefully she knew she had to leave sooner or later.  She started the crying when the bottom 2 were announced, geez.

That's what I mean.  I get talking up your celebs and being positive, but half of this show is the mental game and so I would think the pros prepare their celebs for different scenarios.  Especially since in this case Sailor wasn't coming in with her own fanbase so eventually the whole Christie's daughter angle was going to wear off.  Especially on a night where other dancers had sob stories or more emotional packages.

• Love 7

Watching Lauren, and then Sailor, cry uncontrollably in those last 15 minutes were very hard to watch. I felt for Lauren, who did open up in a very vulnerable moment. I was shocked at the scores. I was convinced that, with them hyping up Lauren's dance all night that she'd get at least a 10. But no, she didn't even crack the top of the leaderboard.

And poor Sailor, who really didn't need to go over Sean or Karamo. Poor girl clearly was hit hard with her elimination and I felt super bad for her. She didn't deserve that elimination.

Just now, scenicbyway said:

Sailor did not take that well, poor girl.  I thought she was the better of the two but I’m sure they kept Ali because she’s “famous” vs. Christie Brinkley’s daughter.

It felt like they kept Ally because they like Ally better. It's easy to tell who the judges like in their scoring system, and Ally has hardly been criticized, so it's easy to tell that they want her around for the finale. I don't think Ally's an amazing dancer; she's decent, maybe better than Sailor, so I get why they'd keep her. But still, I felt like Sailor started off as someone who had a lot of potential and we were only just getting to that with this week. Ally, for me, is solid, which is why I do think it was a hard choice. The women are all really strong this season. I'd gladly get rid of all but two of the men (James and Kel) over any of the women.

Um, hi judges, why you no give James a 10 this week? Seriously, I thought his samba was great. If they docked a point for the dumbass lights....I get being harsh this year, but I don't think James' samba was quite on par with Kate or Sailor's dances. But I guess I can't be too upset.

Speaking of Kate, she FINALLY gave me what I was looking for: a different, more serious side to her dance. And yeah, it was pretty darn good. And Sailor's jive was great.

Meanwhile, they give Hannah all 8s...it's not her fault they gave her a crappy song to dance to. Who the hell can dance a samba to a country song like that? Pick better, producers! My god! 

2 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

And I'm going to guess this was a "not necessarily the bottom two" because between her scores and the Fifth Harmony fan base, there's no way Ally was actually in the bottom two. Do I need my tinfoil hat here?)

I dunno. Remember that Normani also had the scores and Fifth Harmony fans and, although she got to the finale, she didn't get higher than third place, so I don't think the FH fans are as strong as they like us to believe. 

• Love 7

They have to give the real B2 this season.  They can't fake it because otherwise they would potentially be sending home couples that weren't on the bottom of the leaderboard.  Then what even would be the point of voting?

Also on another note while Sailor leaving was sad, I'm not going to be mad at the 55 year old woman getting fan votes over some of the younger ones.  Kate is not going to win but I feel like often this show is unforgiving to older women in the popularity contest aspect.  Older men, all the time.  Older women, a lot less so.

I also fully expect Karamo to be in trouble next week when he has to go back to ballroom.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 12

I think it was a strange coincidence that Sailor was eliminated on a night when her mother wasn’t in the audience.  
Lauren was full out crying during her entire performance.  I was amazed how controlled her lifts were and that she even remembered the routine. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, spanana said:

That's what I mean.  I get talking up your celebs and being positive, but half of this show is the mental game and so I would think the pros prepare their celebs for different scenarios. 

Right. I'm trying so hard not to use the word entitled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

Poor Sailor. There were others who should have gone before her. (And I'm going to guess this was a "not necessarily the bottom two" because between her scores and the Fifth Harmony fan base, there's no way Ally was actually in the bottom two. Do I need my tinfoil hat here?)

Not surprised about Ally. The band dismantled a longtime ago and she really hasnt done much with her solo career outside of the group like Normani and Camela who r the only ones popping from the group. Im not sure she has a strong enough fanbase as Normani did when she came onto the show because the group was still very much big at the time and yet Normani got 3rd place so Ally may be in trouble vote wise no matter how great she continues to dance.

• Love 3
Just now, Koalagirl said:

Lauren was full out crying during her entire performance.  I was amazed how controlled her lifts were and that she even remembered the routine. 

Right? If that were me, I'd be lucky if I could even begin the routine, let alone get through it. 

• Love 8

Poor Sailor. I didn't think she was gonna win, but she didn't deserve to go this soon, either.

As far as I'm concerned, if Spicer gets within smelling distance of the finals, let alone wins, this show should be cancelled. Sorry Tom.

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, spanana said:

That's what I mean.  I get talking up your celebs and being positive, but half of this show is the mental game and so I would think the pros prepare their celebs for different scenarios.  Especially since in this case Sailor wasn't coming in with her own fanbase so eventually the whole Christie's daughter angle was going to wear off.  Especially on a night where other dancers had sob stories or more emotional packages.

I assume that both Sailor and Val thought that they might be able to get by another week over Sean or, at the very least, Karamo. Which, to be fair, I also thought. Sailor shouldn't have been the one to go over those two men. And I think that's what made the elimination harder. If it was next week that she was eliminated and Karamo or Sean were eliminated this week, then there may not have been such a strong reaction from Sailor. I personally thought that she might hit the bottom 2...but her issue was always going to be who she was in the bottom 2 with. And unfortunately for her, the judges favor Ally; she's the one that I've seen gets the most praise from them so I knew that all three judges would have chosen Ally over Sailor. 

That's not to completely discredit Ally because she's had her own strengths and she has had a better run than Sailor. But I think that Sailor needed someone like Karamo next to her in order for her to have stayed an extra week. 

• Love 9

The 5H fanbase isnt nearly as rabid as it was when Normani was on and even she couldnt get the votes in the end, so no I'm really not shocked about Ally. I agree they aren't going to fake the bottom two with this new format.

Juan Pablo not even making the finale and Bobby Bones winning is the most recent example of all you really need to see to understand how screwed up this shows voting base can be.

I wasn't the biggest Sailor fan but she was decent and its times like this the show pisses me off.

James' hips and booty alone deserved 10’s whew.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I assume that both Sailor and Val thought that they might be able to get by another week over Sean or, at the very least, Karamo.

But after watching this show every season, everyone on the stage needs to be prepared to go. We have seen some crazy things happen.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, spanana said:

I felt for both Karamo and Lauren but emotional contemporaries are not my thing and I'd need to rewatch both to separate the packages from the actual dances.  I really wish they would end contemp/jazz altogether on the show.

I completely agree!!

Why do only some get the contemporary dances? Shouldn't they all have to dance the same dances at some point?

Would we really see Sean Spicer dancing contemporary?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Len was right on with his score for Ally.  They were way out of sync, and she messed up a lot.

im not upset about Sailor leaving. I didn’t think she was that great a dancer, and she has very little showmanship.

kels dance was very good, and OMG, how did James not get 10s?!?

i still love Hannah, hate Gleb, wish Jenna would just leave.

• Love 7
Just now, MsJamieDornan said:

But after watching this show every season, everyone on the stage needs to be prepared to go. We have seen some crazy things happen.

Sure, that's true. But not everyone can control their emotions, especially not someone as young as Sailor. Which, yes, you could say that it's because she's entitled or spoiled or whatever. But I do not fault Sailor for not being able to reign it in. I don't know how much Val did to prepare Sailor for the possibility of elimination, but even if he had, maybe Sailor wasn't able to control her crying in the moment. We see that she mouths along to the songs as she dances. So I don't think she has as much control.

I get why people may be annoyed but I understand why Sailor was crying. And hey, I'd rather an uncomfortable moment like this than seeing another Joe the Grocery Bagger grinning at HIS elimination.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I assume that both Sailor and Val thought that they might be able to get by another week over Sean or, at the very least, Karamo. Which, to be fair, I also thought. Sailor shouldn't have been the one to go over those two men. And I think that's what made the elimination harder. If it was next week that she was eliminated and Karamo or Sean were eliminated this week, then there may not have been such a strong reaction from Sailor. I personally thought that she might hit the bottom 2...but her issue was always going to be who she was in the bottom 2 with. And unfortunately for her, the judges favor Ally; she's the one that I've seen gets the most praise from them so I knew that all three judges would have chosen Ally over Sailor.  

I don't disagree really and I understand Sailor not getting how this show works but I think Val should have been smart enough to know it was a possibility.  He could see that Sean has never hit B2 even when having lower score.  He could see that Karamo had a more emotional package and contemporary, which usually gets votes, etc.  I don't blame Sailor at all.  I just think Val should have maybe prepared her a bit more.

I am not begrudging Sailor her emotions. I think it was genuine and since she's not an actress, she's unable to act her way through a tough moment.  She's 21 but she reads a very young 21 to me.

Edited by spanana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Am I the only one didnt care for karamos contemporary? The emotion was there but once again it felt like JJ dance. All I could see was her being tossed around and showing what she can do. Karamo hardly danced, he was more of dancing pole for her. I love karamo but JJ has to go, sorry not sorry.

I found it funny Len speaking on Kel and Whitney's lack of chemistry but someone need to bring that up toward Karamo and JJ who have zero chemistry on the dancefloor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
Just now, vdw84 said:

Am I the only one didnt care for karamos contemporary? The emotion was there but once again it felt like JJ dance. All I could see was her being tossed around and showing what she can do. Karamo hardly danced, he was more of dancing pole for her. I love karamo but JJ has to go, sorry not sorry.

I found it funny Len speaking on Kel and Whitney's lack of chemistry but someone need to bring that up toward Karamo and JJ who have zero chemistry on the dancefloor.

I thought Karamo had a much better week. But...I dunno, I feel like him lifting her up a bunch of times ISN'T really that impressive to me? He just needs to use his upper body strength, which I guess is impressive, but I feel like Jenna also needed to add more content for him to show off HIS moves. Instead, it felt like 75% lifts. 

Maybe I'm more impressed when the female celebs get lifts, because the person who is getting lifted seems to have a little bit more content while the guys just need to make sure they don't fall. Maybe it's a biased opinion. Maybe I'm just a bit grumpy tonight.

Meanwhile, I DO give credit to Gleb and Lauren's dance. I know this season that producers have more control over the creative side, but I do feel like Gleb did a great job with Lauren. It's probably one of his best weeks that I've seen. He did well with her for this dance. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

I don't care for any of the contemporaries so I fast forwarded thru most of them.  I was also annoyed with the fact that it seemed like every other celeb seemed to think that this was their most memorable dance so we had to drag out the tears.

• Love 2

I really wasn't surprised. Bristol Palin proved you can get far even though she wasn't the best. She got to third place and beat better dancers. 

I don't care about the Bachelor, but their fanbase is tough. Grocery Store Joe got too far. Hannah is a good dancer even though I don't like the franchise. 

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Love 4

Truthfully I need to rewatch but I didn't think either Karamo or Lauren's contemporaries were particularly well danced but I get it.  Lauren was lucky she remembered her dance since she was so emotional and Karamo was mostly in the background of his since the contemps often favor the woman so all eyes were on Jenna.  I get why they were safe of course and they both had emotional numbers but I didn't think either danced particularly well.  I think Karamo looked better than he does in some of the ballroom numbers because he could hide behind Jenna more.

• Love 3

My favorites of the night were Kel and James. This was Kel's best dance and I really hope he is in the finale. I also really enjoyed Kate's dance.

I felt really bad for Sailor. I actually really liked her jive even though it was slightly over scored. I love Karamo and he had his best dance yet but he still should have been in the bottom two with Sean. Sean should have been gone. 

• Love 6

How James didn't get at least one 10 I can't figure out. That routine was awesome and by far the best dance of the night. It should've been scored as the best of the night.

As soon as they came back from commercial, I knew Sean wasn't going home. About a minute later, I knew it was Sailor. How, you ask? Erin has a lousy poker face. And it's at its worst when it comes to Maks and Val.

That being said, I wasn't sorry to see Sailor go. I didn't think her dance this week was a good as it was scored (seriously, the same score as James?!?). She has no fan base and filling in for Mom became old by Week 2. I'm just surprised Val's fans didn't keep them in it longer, but I have a feeling a lot of them were thinking Val was safe so they were directing all their energy towards keeping wifey around.

I know I wasn't the only one who saw Sailor's snot shot. Kudos to Val for noticing it too and immediately stepping in front of her to block her from the camera. 

I also noticed that when everyone came out to Sailor, Val stepped out of the crowd and the only one who went over to him and shook his hand/hugged him was Sean.

As I keep saying every week, this new voting system was a HORRIBLE way to prevent what happened last season. The judges can't save someone or send someone home if they're not in the bottom two. And honestly, I don't think they can go back to giving Sean 4s and 5s now that they've all given him 7s. Like him or not, he has improved from his first week -- not much, but he has improved. So you can't mark him down. I do think they've been overscoring some people trying to keep those 7s as the low score, but it's not enough. They needed to still be giving 4s and 5s for there to even be a shot of Sean going home. Unfortunately, him still being around is NOT doing anything to help them recover from last season's Bones shitshow, and I really fear this will be the last season for the show.

I'll end this by saying thank God it appears Christie was not there tonight. I can't begin to imagine how she would've thrown herself into the middle of Sailor's moment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I somewhat felt for Sailor just because she was genuinely shaken up, but I feel that she slid into this thing through her mother's machinations and she should be glad for the time she got. I was relieved Christie wasn't there, because every week I dread seeing her overreaction to everything. I appreciate that Val was trying to shield her from view, but girl's gotta grow up.

I love that Kate is doing so well. It's fantastic to see an older woman hanging in there and really looking good. Also, I think Pasha is a sensational teacher. 

I like that Sean has a cheerful attitude and is truly trying. To me that goes a long way, compared to someone like Lamar who sulked and complained. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I went to a dance camp once - we danced our feet off for a week -- came home every night and put our feet in buckets of ice water.  We were so physically and mentally tired for prepping for a performance on the Friday night, when we'd started rehearsal 5 days earlier, that when my dance instructor gave me a note of correction (something I was plenty used to getting), I, a totally boring middle of the road kinda person in my 40s, cried without being able to stop for 2 hours (and then danced, gah).  So I don't fault Sailor for her uncontrolled reaction because there is every chance she is also feeling physical limitations. 

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 14

Gee, Spicer and his followers are really sticking it to Hollyweird by getting... Sailor eliminated??? Ugh. I don’t think she could have won but she should have lasted longer than stompy spicey.

We are at the point in the season where I just have to decide the few couples I actually would be disappointed to lose... it is James/Emma and Kate/Pasha. Otherwise I’ll just be too annoyed at Spicer outlasting people who should be staying over him.

I wish the lights hadn’t been so nuts in James’s dance. To me it actually detracted from how good it was. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Yeah. This is why having Spicer on is such crap. He has rabid voters that will carry him much too far on pure spite, in the process eliminating stronger dancers. To be fair, this has been always going on to some extent on the show. The problem with Spicer, like with Bristol, is the purely political motivation many of his votes have. Which is why it was a horrible idea for the producers to bring him on. The show can't afford another toxic/controversial season. Not to that extent. Oh well.

I thought Sailor was improving each week and Val did well with her, so that was a shame. And I felt sad for her and how crushed she was. OTOH, apart from her mom she's probably very little known. So she's brought barely any fanbase of her own into the show. Her package and dance this week also wasn't very emotional, so the insta-voting format probably also worked against her. Ah well. I will miss her, she'd become entertaining to watch.

Kate was lovely and looked lovely. Pasha's choreo was also lovely. It was immediately apparent that he was back on solid ground with a ballroom dance. They make a super team as well. Really the surprise of the season, the two of them IMO. And it seems like Kate is getting votes to some degree. So this is also a situation where social media/youtube views etc. mean nothing, Kate isn't at the forefront there. She probably appeals to an older demo that isn't as visible on social media as much, which makes it a bit difficult to predict how many votes she's getting.

James was very good as well. So was Kel. And I didn't hate Lauren's dance, at least for a contemporary, soGleb better not backslide into terrible nonsense next week. 😉

• Love 12