Type keyword(s) to search

Movie Quotes: Memorable Lines We Like To Quote Over & Over

• Start Topic

Since there are topics for favorite movies, favorite fight scenes, and favorite dance sequences why not one for favorite movie quotes?

From Dogma (one of my favorite movies to re-watch)

Hospital PA Announcer: I repeat, this is not a drill. This is the apocalypse. Please exit the hospital in an orderly fashion. Thank you.

Metatron: You people. If there isn't a movie about it, it's not worth knowing, is it?

• Love 2

I just watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time and I swear I'm going to start working the following quote into conversations from time to time:

"I've been to one world fair, a picnic and a rodeo and that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

I don't use it, but one of my favorites is from Clueless, when Cher was defending her choice to still be a virgin:  "Come on  you guys....you know how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my feet."  lol!

• Love 3

Another from Princess Bride - "I don't think it means what you think it means."

And Ferris Bueller "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

• Love 1

From The Emperor's New Groove:  "Well, that makes you ugly AND stupid."  (As well as about fifteen other quotes from that movie.  It's very quotable.)

And from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang:  "What, fuckhead?  Who taught you grammar?"  Although I rarely use the first part unless it's with a friend who knows the movie really well.  For obvious reasons. 

One of my all-time favorite movie quotes is from ...And Justice For All: "My client...the Honorable Henry T. Fleming, should go right to fucking jail, the son of a bitch is guilty!!"

Then there are the quotes I just use randomly in my everyday life:

From Friday "You ain't got to lie, Craig!" (I don't know anyone named Craig, but they understand lol)

From Airplane! "Chump don't want da help, chump don't get da help!"

From Lean On Me: "It kills your brain-cells son, it kills your brain-cells!"

• Love 2

I'd list some quotes from Mean Girls, but I'd end up quoting pretty much the entire script, so I won't get started. But, yeah. So many lines from Mean Girls. Even now, 10 years after it came out, if you make a Mean Girls joke on Tumblr, everyone gets it -- even the kids who were too young to watch the movie at the time.

See? I have to force myself to stop now.

• Love 4
(edited)

From Friday "You ain't got to lie, Craig!" (I don't know anyone named Craig, but they understand lol)

Ok, I'd never heard of this movie before, but I heard a quote from it that we tend to use quite a bit:  "You got to be a stupid mother fucker to get fired on your day off!".  I wanted to know what movie it was in and googled it.  It was Friday. 

From The Emperor's New Groove:  "Well, that makes you ugly AND stupid."  (As well as about fifteen other quotes from that movie.  It's very quotable.)

"Well, which is it?  And or or?  That's a pretty crucial conjunction". That's one of my favorites, but the one we really quote a lot here is "Oooh! Scary leaf! I'm afraid!"

Another from Princess Bride - "I don't think it means what you think it means."

Yes! 

Good God, I could go on all night here.  Ok, two more (for tonight :)  From Caddyshack:  "Always remember Danny--a flute without holes isn't a flute and a donut without a hole is a danish".  From Terms of Endearment (because now that I'm a mother, I really get it) about being a parent:  "It's a tough job.  As hard as you think it's going to be, you end up wishing it were that easy."

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

There are too many good lines to quote in this movie, but in honor of the 40th anniversary of Blazing Saddles, here's my favorite:

"Boy, they said you was hung!" "And they was right."

"'Scuse me while I whip this out." "Aw, Mongo straight."

There are so many from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" that I could just list the whole script.

I'd list some quotes from Mean Girls, but I'd end up quoting pretty much the entire script, so I won't get started. But, yeah. So many lines from Mean Girls. 

I use these quotes a lot, but another one that gets thrown around a lot is the "did you have an awesome time? did you drink awesome shooters and listen to awesome music?" line. Usually when a friend goes to some event (that honestly I usually have no interest in) that I wasn't invited to. I've used it so much that I just shorten it to "awesome shooters" and everyone knows what I mean. 

• Love 2

From Heathers (I can't believe it's been 25-years since that film was released)

Veronica Sawyer: What is your damage, Heather?

Thanks for the memory of Blazing Saddles - one I use all the time, and you would be surprised how will it fits in most situations:

Oh, I use that one all the time too ..... though credit where credit is due, that line was first uttered in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre ......... oddly enough it was a question on Jeopardy last night and I was shocked I knew the answer (thanks to grandpa).

Gold Hat: Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

• Love 1

My favourite movie for all of my adolescence was Cruel Intentions, a movie my friends would get mad at me when we watched it because I practically knew the whole script by heart. My favourite quote ...

KATHRYN: So, I assume you've come here to make arrangements. But unfortunately, I don't fuck losers.

• Love 2

"How do you fuck that up?"

Richie Cusack says to one of his  men for failing to kill Richie's brother, Tom Stall, in A History of Violence.  That's one of my favorite movies, and it's just the way William Hurt as Richie Cusack says that line, and the expression on his face.  Actually, he says that line twice. 

I once used Nick Fury's "given that it's a stupid-ass decision, I've elected to ignore it" to my manager at work.

Granted, you've got to have serious respect from your manager to pull it off :)

• Love 4
(edited)

Despite the quality of the movies being low, I have found myself often using quotes from Anchorman and Step Brothers.

Anchorman's "that escalated quickly" and "I immediately regret this decision", are frequently used by me.

And for Step Brothers, "sssshut your mouth. Just shut your mouth. You're just coming off as stupid", "did we just become best friends? YUP!", "that was a terrible idea! Why did you let us do that?" and the whole rant about how badly things sucked frequently star in conversations between my husband and myself.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 3

One of my favorites from Ghost:

Oda Mae: "He wants me to tell you what he's saying, word.for.word."

Sam: "Molly, you're in Danger."

Oda Mae: "Now you can't just blurt it out like that. And quit moving around, will you, you're starting to make me feel dizzy.

I'll just tell her in my owwwn way. Molly? You in danger, girl."

And:

Oda Mae possessed by Orlando: "Damn, Baby, what'd you do to your hair?"

"Orlando? you like it? It's called Autum Sunrise."

• Love 2

Good ones!  Also from A Christmas Story:

"I triple dog dare you!"  (I say this on many occasions).

"It's a major award."  (I say this when I'm putting on panty hose/tights and I stick one leg out).

• Love 3

From Scrooged:  "Have you tried staples?";  "You know I like the rough stuff, don't you Frank?"  and  one that wasn't uttered, but written on the wall of a room in his office building:  "Cross:  Something you nail people to." 

• Love 2

Because Harvey Keitel always has to go all Harvey Keitel on someone's ass, from Thelma & Louise:  "Your miseries will be my goddamn mission in life."

I use a lot of quotes from that movie (I often have to restrain myself from telling clients, "The law is some tricky shit.")   I do use "I'm in deep shit.  Deep Shit, Arkansas."  When watching, I pretty much recite the entire film, especially when they blow up the truck and when they stuff the state trooper in the trunk of his cruiser at gunpoint:

Trooper:  Please, I have a wife and kids.

Thelma:  Well, you be sweet to them.  My husband wasn't sweet to me and look how I turned out.

And these words of wisdom:  "You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you want to get caught."

• Love 2

From A Christmas Story

Ralphie: Oooh fuuudge!

Adult Raphie: Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

I wish there was a double like button, TRIPLE dog like button.  In my top five of all time best movies.

• Love 2

Because Harvey Keitel always has to go all Harvey Keitel on someone's ass, from Thelma & Louise:  "Your miseries will be my goddamn mission in life."

Thelma and Louise had some great quotes.  My favorite was "Well, I've always thought that if done properly, armed robbery doesn't have to be a totally unpleasant experience".

Another I think of a lot when I'm cooking dinner:  From Overboard:  "You shot a chicken?"  It's all in the delivery. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of delivery, to me the icy calm of this speech was more chilling than the actual words. Michael to Fredo, Godfather II:

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend, I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you in the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you come to see our mother I want to know a day in advance so I won't be here. Do you understand?"

The deliveries of these two reduce me to uncontrollable giggles every time:

Gregory Peck, The Boys From Brazil - "Shut up you ugly bitch!"

Diana Scarwid, Mommie Dearest - "Because I'm not one of your FAAAAAAAANS!"

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

How about Loki's "Ta-dah" from Thor 2. I know it isn't original yet it makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Sometimes, it's all in the delivery :)

A few years ago we had a problem with gophers in our front yard. As you can imagine, "Freeze gopher!" became a rather popular phrase around here, as well as "excuse me, but if you kill all the golfers, won't that be bad for business?" whenever my husband kept mumbling about having to do something about them.

Also, Real Genius. Anytime someone says "I had the weirdest dream last night" someone in this house will say "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

From Ferris Buellar's Day off, I've started telling the kids that they'd have to "barf up a lung" before I'd let them stay home from school again.  And I'm probably going to hell for this one, but when I'm sitting through a 6th grade beginning orchestra/band concert, and they're up there doing their best, I can't help but lean over and whisper to my husband "Never had one lesson!". 

• Love 2

How about Loki's "Ta-dah" from Thor 2. I know it isn't original yet it makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Sometimes, it's all in the delivery :)

Which is why I love "I need a horse" from the first Thor. Makes me laugh every single time, but I have yet to use it in everyday life. Now, Ta-dah I can use.

• Love 2

From A Fish Called Wanda, one of my favorite films of all time:

John Cleese: You're a true vulgarian aren't you?

Kevin Kline: You're the vulgarian, you fuck!

Also, pretty much all of the usual suspects from Aliens:

• "Game over, man! Game over!"
  • "Aye-firmative"
  • "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"   "No... have you?"
  • "I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure."
  • Love 5

From Major League:

"I hate this f%$#ing song."

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like shit."

"So cross him off then."

And from Bull Durham:

[singing "Try a Little Tenderness"] "Oh, she may be wooly, and young girls they do get wooly, when they're under lots of stress...."

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Larry: Lollygaggers!

Skip: Lollygaggers.

And I love the whole sequence when a few of them are on the pitcher's mound and instead of discussing the next play in the game, they're talking about everything but.

• Love 1

I quote Major League a lot.  I live for wild pitches so I can say, "Just a bit outside."  I really wish I had occasion to use, "Hats for bats.  Keep bats warm."

That horrid owner had some great lines.  The aforementioned, "Cross him off then" is my favorite, but I also love "That ought to shut these people up." 

"You put snot on the ball?"

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill."

• Love 2

I live for wild pitches so I can say, "Just a bit outside."

We don't watch baseball, so that doesn't come up often, but when my son was in Little League, oh yeah....it was quoted a lot.

Also:  "You sayin' that Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?!"

From Better Off Dead (and there are many quotes from that one, too!);  "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

That's my absolute favorite line from that movie. Followed by: "And to drink...Peru!" (Lane's mom presenting her "French"-inspired menu)

• Love 2

I just wasted lots of time watching clips from Better Off Dead on YouTube. Speaking of "Frawnch" food...

I can't quit!

"Two brothers, one speaks no English, the other learned English from watching "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me, which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?"

• Love 2
"Two brothers, one speaks no English, the other learned English from watching "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me, which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?"

"It's an awesome spectacle. An audacious display of seething opponents, once again parallel in an obstinate attempt to prove superiority of the roads unequaled in our lifetime. The crowds swell in anticipation as the light turns green."

• Love 3

As has already been noted, John Cusack is wonderfully quotable.  I watched the last 15 minutes of High Fidelity this morning:

The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules. Anyway... I've started to make a tape... in my head... for Laura. Full of stuff she likes. Full of stuff that make her happy. For the first time I can sort of see how that is done.

More?  How about from Say Anything?

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

And Must Love Dogs (this one is in the delivery):

Oh Charlie, you should've seen this girl; she's shy, she's fragile, she's self conscious, she has no idea how beautiful she is... she's a M-E-S-S-S... it's FAN-TAS-TIC!

How about Serendipity?

Oh, come on. You've never seen Cool Hand Luke? Paul Newman? Oh my god. Come on! "Failure to communicate." Sadistic cop in sunglasses with no name. Reminds me of you in that way.

America's Sweethearts?

Look, Byron, I want to be honest with you. Before I came down from the room, I took a half a pound of Vicodin, so I'm going to be really comfortable until about late March.

Even Eight Men Out:

Buck Weaver: How do I look?

Helen Weaver: You look just fine.

Buck Weaver: I look like a future jailbird.

Shoot, we need to set up some sort of John Cusack movie marathon.  ::giggle::

I quote Major League a lot.  I live for wild pitches so I can say, "Just a bit outside."  I really wish I had occasion to use, "Hats for bats.  Keep bats warm."

That horrid owner had some great lines.  The aforementioned, "Cross him off then" is my favorite, but I also love "That ought to shut these people up." 

"You put snot on the ball?"

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill."

We quote Major League all the time in my house. We can't go to a game without my boyfriend yelling "Too high! Too high!" whenever a long ball is hit. And I giggle everytime.

I use the "Hats for bats" when we go golfing and I pull off my club covers.

• Love 1

When someone says something to me that's either really dumb or really smart, I like to quote from Joe Versus the Volcano: "I have no response to that."

And I feel like I say this a lot from Rush Hour: "Do YOU understand the WORDS that are COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?"

• Love 2
(edited)

And I feel like I say this a lot from Rush Hour: "Do YOU understand the WORDS that are COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?"

And on a related note, I often find myself mentally screaming at my students: "English, motherfucker! Do you speak it??" which is definitely Samuel L. Jackson but I'm not 100% sure which movie. Pulp Fiction?

Aha, found it! Yes, it was Pulp Fiction. Same scene as the also often-used "say 'what' again! I dare you!"

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 3

And on a related note, I often find myself mentally screaming at my students: "English, motherfucker! Do you speak it??" which is definitely Samuel L. Jackson but I'm not 100% sure which movie. Pulp Fiction?

Aha, found it! Yes, it was Pulp Fiction. Same scene as the also often-used "say 'what' again! I dare you!"

I really hope you teach an ESL class and/or teach kindergarten. 

Another favorite of mine from that movie is "Mmmm. THAT is a tasty burger!" Usable whenever you're eating a tasty burger.

• Love 1