Type keyword(s) to search

Movie Quotes: Memorable Lines We Like To Quote Over & Over

• Start Topic

It's not old old, but it's been stuck in my head for the past twenty years:

"When you love someone, you've gotta trust them.  There's no other way.  You've got to give them the key to everything that's yours.  Otherwise, what's the point?"

James Garner's death reminded of two quotes that I say (or in one case think) a lot when the situation arises:

From My Fellow Americans, whenever we hear Hail to the Chief, we'll sing "Hail to the chief, I'm the chief and I need hailing!"

From Murphy's Romance, when told that some people would call him a bleeding heart: "Lady, I don't give a diddly shit what they call it, but at least I've got one!" (This one drifts through my mind whenever I see political posts on my FB news feed. The majority of my family is on the extreme opposite side of me on many issues *sigh*)

• Love 1

Diana Scarwid, Mommie Dearest - "Because I'm not one of your FAAAAAAAANS!"

OMG, I live to say the "NO WIRE HANGERS!" line. Seriously, I'll go raid your closet just to see if there are any.

Also, Real Genius. Anytime someone says "I had the weirdest dream last night" someone in this house will say "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

From Ferris Buellar's Day off, I've started telling the kids that they'd have to "barf up a lung" before I'd let them stay home from school again.  And I'm probably going to hell for this one, but when I'm sitting through a 6th grade beginning orchestra/band concert, and they're up there doing their best, I can't help but lean over and whisper to my husband "Never had one lesson!". 

I use that one, too. Val Kilmer has the best lines in Real Genius! "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, '... I drank what?'" John Hughes movies are immensely quotable for me because I've seen them thousands of times. I love quoting Chet from Weird Science: "How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"  "You're stewed, buttwad!" This was a good one when I was younger: "I'm gonna tell Mom and Dad everything. I'm even considering makin' up some shit!"

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Always great to use for any word used in the wrong context. 

I love to quote Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, as he is completely full of shit. "Everybody relax, I'm here." "Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president." "It's all in the reflexes."

• Love 1

If someone asks a question we can't answer, we may reply, "Is it an African or European swallow?"

We also say of any injury: "It's just a flesh wound."

Both Monty Python and the Holy Grail

• Love 3
(edited)

There's a scene in "The Fugitive" when the marshalls are looking for one of the escaped convicts and Tommy Lee Jones' character shoots him. The convict's girlfriend starts screaming hysterically when TLJ walks through the room. He puts up his hand and says, "Shut up." His delivery of those two simple words cracks me the hell up.

"Dolores Claiborne" is really quotable but my favorite line is by Vera Donovan.

"Sometimes, Dolores, sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang on to."

Edited by RedKoolAide
  • Love 2

@Sweet Tee, I went on a vacation with my brothers to Amsterdam and when we got there one of them pointed to the brand label on my suitcase and went, " What is that, swimmy, swammy, swenson, swanson..." I, of course, knew where he was going with it and immediately went, "Oh SAMSONITE! I was way off!"

And for that matter, I do like to say that I thought the Rocky Mountains were rockier than I thought. And that John Denver is full of shit, man.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is full of awesome quotes, but the ones I use the most:

"Jesus! did you see what God just did to us, man?"

"No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand?"

"As your attorney, I advise you to... " I just fill in the blank with whatever the situation calls for.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

• Love 1

"You gotta be one stupid motherfucker to get fired on your day off."

"Toodaloo motherfuckaaaaaaaaaaa....."

"Would you please put some pants on?  I feel weird having to ask you twice."

"This isn't the real Caeser's Palace is it?"

"Not you, Fat Jesus."

So... Does everyone else quote A League of Their Own and change the last word? In my office complainers are told:

"There's no crying in construction!"

I quote that movie all the time. When anyone mentions getting an autograph, I say "avoid the clap, jimmy Dugan". "That's good advice!"

Or, whenever I see a bratty child I say "he's really a great kid." "Yeah, I hope I have 5 just like him."

"If I paid you more, jimmy, could you be a little more disgusting?" "I could use the money."

Edited by avecsans
  • Love 7

From My Big Fat Greek Wedding "What do you mean he don't eat no meat?!" It's all in the delivery...love it

From Robin Hood: Men In Tights "If you don't pay no tolls, then we don't eat no no rolls" (I always say this one on the Jersey Turnpike)

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 3

I don't use this line, but I have to mention it anyway.  I've never shopped in Walgreens, but recently we had to change our insurance companies, which meant changing pharmacies.  The closest is the Walgreens down the road.  I've been in a few times now and every time I get "Be well" when I leave and each time, I thought of Demolition Man.  I half expected to hear my name after the sentiment.

Another John Cusack line from Grosse Pointe Blank:  when I took the service exam my psych profile fit a certain... moral flexibility would be the only way to describe it.

I've found many occasion to use "moral flexibility" as a descriptor for someone.

Just remembered another from Princess Bride that I use anytime I hear "I mean it" ... "Anybody want a peanut?"

I cannot not respond with that.  It comes our automatically.

• Love 1

Heathers- "the white whale drank some bad plankton & splashed through a coffee table".

"The afterlife is so boring. If I have to sing kumbaya one more time..."

"They were gay!"- taking bottled water out of bag

Better off dead- "give me my 2 dollars!"

All About Eve- "I may have seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail...like a salted peanut."

Princess Bride: "Mawwiage..."

"Inconceivable!"

• Love 3

After Ted Williams died, there were rumors that he had his body frozen. I immediately thought, "There's no cryogenics in baseball!"

I am in Ireland on vacation right now. RTE2, one of the national channels, is showing Jaws. Hooper just showed up.

"This was NO boat accident!!"

• Love 5

Better off dead- "give me my 2 dollars!"

This is what I say to myself when I have to badger my colleagues to answer my emails/get me the report/whatever else they owe me. It makes me feel slightly less stabby.

"You sit on a throne of lies!" - from Elf. Also said in my head about my colleagues on a regular basis, often in conjunction with the above.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

"Serpentine, Shel!  Serpentine!" from the original The In-Laws

Comes up surprisingly often in my circle of friends.

Same here - we have a neighborhood family that has some really screaming fights - and if we have to go out to the car or take the garbage during one, one of us saying "Serpentine, Shel" is a given.

When we see an interesting hairdo, we'll mention that there's "a hair hopper" at 2 o'clock (or wherever)  - an epithet hurled at Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray (the Divine version, the only one that matters)

Bill Murray's rant from Scrooged - If you can't work late, I can't work late.  And if I can't work late, I CAN'T WORK LATE! - gets a lot of exercise at my house, adapted to whatever situation is appropriate.

Lots of stuff from Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist  - 

"I was looking at you, were you looking at me?"  (said drunkenly)

"Let's dance, douchebag!"  

Critiques of parallel parking jobs along the lines of "Good job, Nick"  or "A little closer, Nick"

Yeah, I guess we don't watch the best movies all the time. 

• Love 1

On the way back from Ireland yesterday, the plane's entertainment choices included Aliens, which I definitely watched. I was hooked on that film in the late '80s--my sis and I watched our tape on a weekly basis, so we have the whole film memorized. It is just jam-packed with terrific lines:

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?!"

"Hey, Vazquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"

"No--have you?"

"Hey, mira, who's Snow White?"

"Some kind of consultant. Claims she saw an alien once."

"Whoopie-fuckin'-doo."

"I always keep this for close encounters."

"There's a substantial dollar investment in this establishment."

"They can bill me!"

"I don't know which species is worse. You don't see one of them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage."

"Ripley, she doesn't have bad dreams because she's just a piece of plastic."

"You heard the man, you know the drill! Assholes and elbows! Hudson, come here. Come HERE!!"

"I may be a synthetic, but I'm not stupid."

We can't quote from Bull Durham and leave out the classic description of Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLouche: "A million-dollar arm and five-cent head."

I also have a soft spot for this exchange:

"Annie, do you think I deserve to wear white at my wedding?"

"Honey, we all deserve to wear white."

• Love 6

Bob Uecker, from Major League: "Just a bit outside." (It's all in the context)

Bob Uecker had my favorite line in Major League 2: (about the movie Willie Mays Hayes filmed in the off-season) "Went to see his movie but it was only out for two and a half hours. I was told, however, that it was in focus"

• Love 3

Se7en's "What's in the boooox?" is an always-favourite of mine. And it's always useful, somehow.

So... Does everyone else quote A League of Their Own and change the last word? In my office complainers are told:

"There's no crying in construction!"

Heh, well, I'm a football supporter (soccer, that is) and I would love to be able to use in that context, but unfortunately football players have to be some of the whiniest sportsmen on the planet, so it just doesn't work. The original is still a favourite quote, though!

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 2

From Two Weeks Notice:

George, I have an ulcer. I don't sleep at night because you keep calling me, and when you don't call me I dream that you're gonna call me. I think about you in the shower, not in a good way, but in an "I'm so distracted I can't remember if I washed my hair" way, so I wash my hair again. There's a hole in my stomach, I'm running out of shampoo, and today is the first time in my life I didn't give a thousand percent on the job and I hate that feeling.

Whenever I'm going through a long list of things that are stressing me out, I can feel "I'm running out of shampoo" trying to sneak into it.

• Love 1

When I'm feeling particularly busy & stressed out I quote the Princess Bride:

"I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder & Guildor to frame for it. I'm swamped."

• Love 7

I can't remember if this is from BIloxi Blues or Brighton Beach Memoirs --"You can't marry your cousin.  You'll have a kid with six heads."  I think of this quote whenever I hear any bad idea.

Biloxi Blues " Do you like the right side or the left side?"  "If we do it right, we'll use both sides"

Edited by ikmccall
  • Love 2

I just wasted lots of time watching clips from Better Off Dead on YouTube. Speaking of "Frawnch" food...

Lane: "I'm really sorry your mother caught on fire, Ricky."

I use this whenever a team I'm rooting for loses in shameful fashion. So...pretty often.

http://i.imgur.com/tDXwZIY.gif

Cypher: "If you have anything really important you want to say to Switch, you''d better say it now."

A Christmas Story "Get the glue." "We're out of glue." "You always use up all the glue....on purpose!"

• Love 1

I thiiiiiink this is from "The Way Of The Gun"-"Someone shut that bitch up before I fuckstart her head!"

Pretty much everything the drill argent says in "Full Metal Jacket", but this is one of my favourites-"You are pukes. You are not even human fucking beings.  You are nothing but disorganized, grabastic pieces of amphibian shit!"

There's a scene from the original Lethal Weapon where Murtagh and Riggs are talking to their boss, and his boss just says "I don't give a fuck Rodge. That's why I don't have an ulcer, because I know when to say, 'I don't give a fuck'"

• Love 2

Whenever watching a sporting event where one side/player is getting whooped, I break into - sing it with me now - "Yo-oo-ou sti-ink, you're gonna lo-ose!"

Just a little trivia for you . . . the guy who played bratty little Stillwell Angel is now the football coach at a local high school. The team had a rough year, and at some of the games the opposing team's fans would chant "You're gonna lo-ose." He sounds like a really good guy though....we have some friends in common and they all have good things to say about him, so hopefully his team will improve.

• Love 1