Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E30: Howard Stern, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Ben Domenech, John Heilemann, and Shawna Thomas

• Start Topic

Just now, GoldenGirl90 said:

EXACTLY. Why is Bill giving this idiot a platform? Ugh.

If Bill is going to be true to form, the first words out his mouth to him will be to thank him for "being brave" for coming on his show. A plagiarist, homophobic racist asshole. What could possibly go wrong?

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If Bill is going to be true to form, the first words out his mouth to him will be to thank him for "being brave" for coming on his show. A plagiarist, homophobic racist asshole. What could possibly go wrong?

Yep, and this why I can't always watch. Bill Maher pisses me off at times.

• Love 8

I'm almost 25 minutes in. Is there a rest of the show?  This is very disrespectful towards the other guests tonight.  This is where Bill's producer should be yelling at him to end this love fest between him and Howard.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, cali1981 said:

I'm almost 25 minutes in. Is there a rest of the show?  This is very disrespectful towards the other guests tonight.  This is where Bill's producer should be yelling at him to end this love fest between him and Howard.

You must just be angry that they're the only two "honest" people in the world. /eyeroll

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

I travel a lot for work and Howard does great interviews with people on his show, which helps me pass the travel time, so I do like him.  Howard always challenges the hosts/interviewers when he goes on their shows, and I thought it was funny that he did that to Bill (who hated every moment of it).  

Funny Amy Klobuchar was on the same night as him.  Howard often says that Hillary Clinton should've gone on his show, and I do agree with him -- the long unfiltered interview format he uses - has  me (and others) genuinely get to like people I really have no interest or fondness for.   He is able to get to who they are as a genuine person --  and I think he could've done the same thing with Hillary.  I almost wish he had interviewed Amy K, because I (personally) am a moderate so I like her policies/legislation, but I can see her being too "Midwest" to win, as she really has no flair for political dramatics, and thus is not firing up a base.  An interview with Howard may be the ticket.  

I finally got to see Megan McCain's husband and I can see why they are together -- nothing real in that head.  (I occasionally watch The View and she is unbearable on that show).  

Oh well, just my thoughts on the show.

• Love 18
57 minutes ago, burghgal said:

I finally got to see Megan McCain's husband and I can see why they are together -- nothing real in that head. 

I'll part company with you just on this one point concerning Domenech last night. I often think the "right wing slot" on this show is occupied by an a-hole. But I didn't think that in this case. Now, disclaimer, I knew nothing about Domenech at all before last night, so for all I know, he's a first class a-hole in everything else he's said and written in other venues. But confining myself to things he said in this episode (which is all I have to go on), I didn't hear anything that I could actually identify as incorrect. I mean, I certainly don't like where I extrapolate he's going with some of his points, or what he sees as his most desired outcome, but the points themselves were intellectually valid. And challenging.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

Ok - I'll admit Ben D. wasn't that bad on this show.  He was really quiet, and I wonder if its because it was a shortened panel, with nothing they couldn't agree on to some degree (its been that kind of week).  Some of Ben's stuff is a little hateful and he doesn't really own it - so that's my issue I think.    

• Love 7

I was sitting watching with my jaw open.  What is is this mutual masturbation I am witnessing between Howard Stern and Bill Maher?  Have I ever seen Bill suck up to anyone like this and for this long?  How much did Bill just want to cancel the rest of his show so he could tell Howard some more how amazing he is, and how honest and right the two of them always are?  Bill could give lessons on breathtakingly obsequious apple-polishing to the people he frequently derides for breathtakingly obsequious apple-polishing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, burghgal said:

Ok - I'll admit Ben D. wasn't that bad on this show.  He was really quiet, and I wonder if its because it was a shortened panel,

Yeah, the panel was only about 18 minutes long.  What's the point of a mid-show guest who's off to the side?  Book them as your front of show guest on another show.  Better yet, don't book Howard Stern at all.  Yeccch.  I hope it wasn't that Amy K didn't want to face the panel.

• Love 2

Dear Bill:

How hard is it to pronounce Ukrainian?   Yew-ker-anian isn't it. *

Also, stop licking Stern's taint.  And stop trying to convince us that you two are the only two HONEST and LAST SANE PEOPLE on earth.  Broaden your horizons, Bill, because you are DEEEELUSIONAL.

*especially when you seem to be able to pronounce "Ukraine" properly.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 15

Mr. Meghan McCain didn't get to talk enough to dig himself into a hole, but I noticed that all three panelists tended to talk continuously just so nobody else could cut in (like they were filibustering), often taking twice as long as necessary to make their points (if any).  Boring.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4

What is is this mutual masturbation I am witnessing between Howard Stern and Bill Maher?  Have I ever seen Bill suck up to anyone like this and for this long? 

When it comes to sucking, Ann Coulter comes close.

Mr. Author and I finally put Howard on Mute. And then I thought he'd refuse to leave. And THEN the chair had barely cooled down from Stern's kissable ass when Amy Klobuchar sat down. Since when does Bill do a "mid-show interview"? And why invite a panel at all?

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I love Howard, so I was thrilled Bill gave him 15 minutes.  I could have gone the whole hour with just Howard.

I'm (apparently in the minority) with you. I was loving that instead of just going along with Bill slobbering over him and pimping the book he tried to have a real conversation at times and get Bill to drop the glib facade. I wouldn't have minded if they changed up the format and dropped the panel and the scripted bits and just had Stern and Kolbuchar. It would have given Bill a good reason to skip Overtime and not have the candidate join the panel. BTW Bill the reason you don't win awards isn't that your some sort of rebel or don't go with trends - it's because the hosts that win all those awards give 110% to their shows and wouldn't even consider doing a gig on the same night as their show.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I'm (apparently in the minority) with you. I was loving that instead of just going along with Bill slobbering over him and pimping the book he tried to have a real conversation at times and try to get Bill to drop the glib facade.

I so agree. I loved how uncomfortable Bill got when Howard confronted him on his romanticized bachelorhood (Howard to Bill: You're so angry). I'm all for adults enjoying their life free of the ties that bind, to each their own. But I've always thought there was something disingenuous about Bill's "choice" not to commit. 

• Love 16
17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I love Howard, so I was thrilled Bill gave him 15 minutes.  I could have gone the whole hour with just Howard.

I'm old enough to have been around when Stern was talking on the FCC. I'll listen to him for 20 minutes. I actually think he's much more genuine than Bill. I was dying when he kept on with the 'so tell me about these girlfriends.'

I would not have a problem voting for a moderate Democrat and I like her policies, but I'm really sorry to be so shallow, Klobuchar is just sexy. 

I did like her point that we have so much drama on the white house that she's offering stability and calm. She should really lead with that - I'm an adult. I won't do all this ranting. 

I did laugh when she said the staff told her she needed a viral moment and Bill yelled for Howard to come out. 

Bill is a comedian and always will be. He'll be working the circuit in his 80s like Joan Rivers. If they canceled the show tomorrow, he'd still have gigs. I have zero problem with him hoofing off to Vegas. I'm sure he has these appearances in his contract anyway. 

I mean even Stern pointed out - it's a full hour of live TV with two written monologues. I think HBO is satisfied with his commitment. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 8

Personally,I have no argument with Bill’s single status. It takes a certain kind of woman to live with a man so self absorbed.  Bill’s type ( which I’m sure is young and beautiful and possibly smart) AND willing to be subservient to his ego,Is a no doubt a small subset,and the older he gets the smaller the pool is getting. Not that he doesn’t have plenty of people to choose from but just not THE one.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm (apparently in the minority) with you. I was loving that instead of just going along with Bill slobbering over him and pimping the book he tried to have a real conversation at times and get Bill to drop the glib facade. I wouldn't have minded if they changed up the format and dropped the panel and the scripted bits and just had Stern and Kolbuchar. It would have given Bill a good reason to skip Overtime and not have the candidate join the panel. BTW Bill the reason you don't win awards isn't that your some sort of rebel or don't go with trends - it's because the hosts that win all those awards give 110% to their shows and wouldn't even consider doing a gig on the same night as their show.

I wish Howard Stern had a talk show on tv or at radio I didn't have to pay for and use up data. He is a fantastic interviewer. His book was good. I love him now and there was a time I well, did not. Totally love how he and his wife are animal nuts! Otherwise the show sucked.

14 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Personally,I have no argument with Bill’s single status. It takes a certain kind of woman to live with a man so self absorbed.  Bill’s type ( which I’m sure is young and beautiful and possibly smart) AND willing to be subservient to his ego,Is a no doubt a small subset,and the older he gets the smaller the pool is getting. Not that he doesn’t have plenty of people to choose from but just not THE one.

He needs to stay single. He does not seem to be the marrying kind. His wife would be miserable. 

• Love 7
On 10/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, sistermagpie said:

You must just be angry that they're the only two "honest" people in the world. /eyeroll

My, my how presumptuous of you.  Amy Klobuchar was going to be given a fair amount of time by design. I was annoyed because the show had a potentially good panel that was short changed because of the Stern love fest. 

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, cali1981 said:

My, my how presumptuous of you.  Amy Klobuchar was going to be given a fair amount of time by design. I was annoyed because the show had a good panel that was short changed because of the Stern love fest. 

I can't tell if you knew I was being sarcastic and are being sarcastic back or if you didn't know and are being sincere. So just to be sure--I was making fun of Bill and agreeing with you.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Since when does Bill do a "mid-show interview"?

He did one with Barbra Streisand.  Keeping the mid-show guest separate from the panel just creates an impression that the guest is a sensitive snowflake who can't handle live questions from diverse sources.  Amy K should have been front of show, as Bill has generally done with the other Presidential candidates.

• Love 2

My heart bleeds for Bill,  his audience doesn't cheer or clap like lunatics for everything he says 🙄. They sometimes disagree with him 😯, gasp. I did ff some of Howard Stern interview, I don't mind him but a girl can only take so much ass licking in one night😉.

Mr Meghan was on his best behavior.  He is an asshole on Twitter. 

Amy did well, I agree why was she separated? She should have been the first interview. And have Howard come out to the panel.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

He did one with Barbra Streisand.  Keeping the mid-show guest separate from the panel just creates an impression that the guest is a sensitive snowflake who can't handle live questions from diverse sources.  Amy K should have been front of show, as Bill has generally done with the other Presidential candidates.

But this isn’t something new. He’s done it before with other guests throughout the years. It’s not very often, but he’s done it a few times.

2 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Mr Meghan was on his best behavior.  He is an asshole on Twitter. 

And a bigoted, racist, homophobic ARSEHOLE. Not to mention a plagiarist.

Since I deleted this, and this show is now available on YouTube, I can now cancel HBO from my subscription. I’ve deleted more episodes than I’ve watched.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

AFAIC, Amy Klobuchar should have been the lead guest and Howard Stern should have been the last interview. But no, the massively bloated ego that is Stern needed to be satisfied. So Bill obliged.

Could you give me the source that says it was Howard who insisted he be in the first segment?  I guess I missed that.

• Love 2

Could you give me the source that says it was Howard who insisted he be in the first segment?  I guess I missed that.

Yeah, I think that's just supposition on the part of Howard's detractors, of which there are many. I've been a fan since his WNBC days, and thought it was a great interview. He really has mellowed in the past few years, but still can't resist pushing Bill's buttons when given the opportunity! And Bill's buttons are so easy to push. He sure had a short fuse about the whole '17 girlfriends' thing!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Stern has always wanted to be the first person interviewed on any talk show. There was an incident a couple of decades ago where he insisted he be first ahead of Sharon Stone - back when she was still a big deal - or he wouldn't go on the show. It seems nothing has changed from his overrated self.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Bill could have wanted them first because they're friends. The senator might not have been able to arrive until later, so they slotted her in mid show. There are a lot of reasons how a show gets put together. Maybe they offered her a panel and she didn't want to do the whole hour. 

• Love 3
On 10/12/2019 at 6:23 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I would not have a problem voting for a moderate Democrat and I like her policies, but I'm really sorry to be so shallow, Klobuchar is just sexy. 

She is or she isn't?

I am a Klobuchar fan for all of the reasons mentioned on the show, but thus far she hasn't demonstrated star power. Considering star power is a big part of why we're in the situation we're currently in, I wish it was less of a factor in determining support.

I was never a Stern fan—I could not get past some of the degrading shit women would do on his show—but this interview made me more curious about him. It is interesting that people (even Bill, to some degree) open up to him. But honestly, I'm not in the least bit curious about why Bill isn't married nor do I think he should be.

Was there anything specific at the heart of the Bill-Howard feud?  

Broken record here: Bill needs to stop being critical of the way his audience groans, or doesn't hoot over every joke. The jokes he tells aren't necessarily knee slappers, and that's okay. 

• Love 2

Is Bill's interview with Howard in that book? I also wonder what their beef was about.

Howard gets too raunchy for me, but whenever I have seem him in an interview, I've always found him to be intelligent, well-spoken, humorous, and willing to be candid. All of which I appreciate.

Bill is also very intelligent, well-spoken and humorous, but less candid, so although I like him too, he comes off more aloof. Bill is getting older and maybe he is feeling like he's not gotten enough appreciation, which is never a good look, but a lot of people in the autum years of their vocations feel that way.

The difference is Bill makes unfortunate passive-aggressive comments to the audience and has conspiracy theories about why he hasn't gotten an Emmy, while Howard would just come out and say how he feels. Which is why Howard is easier to warm up to, and Bill might actually benefit from therapy.  (Just a little bit, Bill, not 30 years! ❤️

• Love 3

OMG, the therapy thing, I almost forgot! It was so strange how incredulous/hostile Bill was regarding therapy. Howard has the money, and it's obviously something that makes him feel good and helps him get through life. I bet it makes him a more pleasant person to be around (and to be with himself). What could be wrong with that?

• Love 7

I enjoy listening to Stern do interviews.  I realize what I don't enjoy about him being a guest on other shows is he will not allow himself to be interviewed.  He must control every interaction, regardless of which seat he is in.  The questions he was posing to Bill about his relationships were good ones and worth exploring, but MAYBE HE SHOULD INVITE BILL ONTO HIS RADIO SHOW as an interview guest to delve into that.  Otherwise, taking all that time to deflect the interview questions back on the interviewer is only a technique to avoid answering questions and not very respectful to the interviewer.  Yes, Howard will speak ad nauseum in excruciating detail about his masturbation sessions, bowel movements, and related private matters.  This is such an unusual thing that it creates his persona of being completely honest and open since most celebrities (and people in general) don't spend much time (or any at all) speaking about the size of their own genitalia (or anyone else's really).  However, try to get past the superficial with him and actually find out something about how he actually feels, and I assure you you will see him flip that on the interviewer rather than share something of substance with an audience.

It's lead to his well-deserved success as a radio personality, but I don't expect to ever learn very much about what makes Howard Stern. . .Howard Stern.

I would have been curious to hear what their long-standing falling out was about.

To the poster who finds Klobuchar. . .uhm. . .sexy - I honestly don't share that attraction but I'll be vulnerable enough to admit I think the same about Tulsi Gabbard (another Real Time top of show interview guest a few months ago).  I can't see her as the democratic nominee but whomever does receive that nomination is going to need a running mate to complement the ticket. . .

On 10/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, sistermagpie said:

I can't tell if you knew I was being sarcastic and are being sarcastic back or if you didn't know and are being sincere. So just to be sure--I was making fun of Bill and agreeing with you.

I realize now  that you were in agreement  My bad and please accept my apologies.  After all when great minds think alike, there should be peace and harmony in all things.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 1

No, I was saying Klobuchar was sexy, but I was trying to couch it by stating first that I'm reasonably well informed about the candidates policies and I wasn't going to be excited to vote for her because she's so sexy. I mean, I will be excited but not *just* because she's sexy. 

One interesting contrast in the interviews is that Howard just lets anything fly about himself, but Klobuchar was more in campaign mode. She even said that she needed a viral moment. Not that she should do something outrageous, but open up a little more than 'I haven't lost an election'. Well, ok, until you do. 

I mean, the story about the duck was embarrassing and kind of horrifying, but it was at least something about her. Not everyone has to be funny, or be able to bust out a crack, but try to be a person more. I think she wasted a great opportunity with a friendly audience. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, sd dude said:

I enjoy listening to Stern do interviews.  I realize what I don't enjoy about him being a guest on other shows is he will not allow himself to be interviewed.  He must control every interaction, regardless of which seat he is in.  The questions he was posing to Bill about his relationships were good ones and worth exploring, but MAYBE HE SHOULD INVITE BILL ONTO HIS RADIO SHOW as an interview guest to delve into that.  Otherwise, taking all that time to deflect the interview questions back on the interviewer is only a technique to avoid answering questions and not very respectful to the interviewer.  Yes, Howard will speak ad nauseum in excruciating detail about his masturbation sessions, bowel movements, and related private matters.  This is such an unusual thing that it creates his persona of being completely honest and open since most celebrities (and people in general) don't spend much time (or any at all) speaking about the size of their own genitalia (or anyone else's really).  However, try to get past the superficial with him and actually find out something about how he actually feels, and I assure you you will see him flip that on the interviewer rather than share something of substance with an audience.

It's lead to his well-deserved success as a radio personality, but I don't expect to ever learn very much about what makes Howard Stern. . .Howard Stern.

I would have been curious to hear what their long-standing falling out was about.

To the poster who finds Klobuchar. . .uhm. . .sexy - I honestly don't share that attraction but I'll be vulnerable enough to admit I think the same about Tulsi Gabbard (another Real Time top of show interview guest a few months ago).  I can't see her as the democratic nominee but whomever does receive that nomination is going to need a running mate to complement the ticket. . .

Bill Maher did Howard's show on 10 June of this year.  I'd link the story but my client doesn't allow the HS site on their network.  So yeah, it's already been done and fairly recently.

Gotcha. But then my point seems even more salient.  Since now he is the interview guest on Bill's show, let Bill interview him and focus instead on answering the questions.  Again, I have never seen him be a guest on another talk show and not totally hijack the interview. Its zany and most talk show guests are more deferential to the host, so viewers experiencing the interaction tend to get a kick out of it, but let's be clear it doubles as a strategy to avoid being open and vulnerable. Perhaps the interview I've heard where he was most "normal" was on Fresh Air on NPR with Terry Gross a month or two ago. Maybe the absence of any live viewing or listening audience allowed him to stop performing so much. 

• Love 1