Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Goat Yogurt and Ample Parking

Jaded

Christy is asked to perform questionable tasks for her demanding new boss, Veronica, and Bonnie has second thoughts about taking Adam's last name.

Airdate: 10.10.2019

I hope it's ok that I started this thread early. I had to say somewhere that the promo for this episode is driving me crazy. I've seen it a lot so far when FF'ing through the past two episodes of Y&R and while watching a couple shows last night on CBS. When I saw the preview at the end of last week's episode it was one of the rare times with this show where my first ought was that I might not want to watch this one at all just based on what was shown. 

• Love 2

This was the funniest the show has been in a long long time.   Paget Brewster was hilarious and her breakdown and the slap fight was great.  

The scene in the pot dispensary was really funny as well.  Must be what real addicts go through now that pot is becoming legal in a lot of states.  The awe and wonder at the genetic modification and safe buying.   I thought it was all really well done

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Hated every thing about Christy interning at the law office.  OMG, why is she such a spazz.  I hope shes going into transnational law and NOT litigation.  But we all know she will be a litigator for the court room hijinks.   I'm pretty much FF through all her scenes.  

• Love 3

Grrr, I'm so jealous pot is legal in California. It should be legal everywhere. 

Bernie Kopell! Still alive and kicking! Probably best known as Doc on The Love Boat but I remember him from all the classic sitcoms in the 1960s. Great to know he's still getting work.

Always fun to see Paget Brewster too. 

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Grrr, I'm so jealous pot is legal in California. It should be legal everywhere. 

Bernie Kopell! Still alive and kicking! Probably best known as Doc on The Love Boat but I remember him from all the classic sitcoms in the 1960s. Great to know he's still getting work.

Always fun to see Paget Brewster too. 

Did you notice when the girls walked into his store he said everything is "exciting and new".   Loved the hat tip to Love Boat.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Did you notice when the girls walked into his store he said everything is "exciting and new".   Loved the hat tip to Love Boat.

I think that was the pot dispensary guy, no? Bernie Kopell was the dry cleaner Bonnie went to.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

His character here reminded me of his character on Bewitched. Yes I'm old.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I liked this episode.  The "road trip" was hilarious.

I like that they have figured out how to use Tammy in a way that doesn't make the character annoying. She is excited about almost everything. Even going grocery shopping would be a fun adventure for her. 

I liked that Bonnie and Adam were actually able to have a mature discussion about the name change, once Bonnie finally decided to be honest about it. 

• Love 9

I guess I'm the odd one out here.  Another underwhelming episode.  Rather than finding the over-the-top abusive boss funny, I kept asking myself why anybody would have such little self-respect to work for somebody like that.   Christie is being treated like a servant/errand girl and if that's how she thinks she's going to have a career in law, and that this is how she is paying her dues, she ought to stick to waiting tables.  The slapping scene was horrifying to me (I never liked the 3 Stooges either) and anything but funny.     I did get some laughs from the gang in the pot store - that was the hi-light of the episode for me.  

• Love 14

His character here reminded me of his character on Bewitched. Yes I'm old.

He played several characters on Bewitched. Yes, I am old too.

I kept asking myself why anybody would have such little self-respect to work for somebody like that. 

Well, boss lady was an over-the-top cartoon for sure. But people have to work for bosses like that because there are probably a hundred law students standing in line to take their place. Jobs at law firms don't grow on trees and for an attorney just starting out you need to get your foot in the door any way you can.

• Love 5

I was kind of dreading this episode, because I’m so damn sick of “Christy is treated like garbage by a superior” storylines. The show has gone to that well so many times already.

But I ended up being fine with this. Paget Brewster managed to make the character  funny enough that I didn’t mind her. And I loved the trip to the dispensary.

• Love 1

Where the heck are Christy's kids?  I know Violet is an adult, but parents do still reference their adult children from time to time.  And what about Roscoe?  Does he permanently live with Baxter and his wife now?  I haven't heard them mention either of the kids in ages.

2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

The slapping scene was horrifying to me (I never liked the 3 Stooges either) and anything but funny.     I did get some laughs from the gang in the pot store - that was the hi-light of the episode for me.  

Same here, everything else just meh and the slapping scene was not funny to me. Christy acts like a 20 yr old not 45 or is she 40? Either way, it's starting to grate. I think the best thing about this show is when all the girls are together. They bring out the best when they are playing off each other. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6

To this day I hate all the slap-bets episodes of HIMYM with a burning passion (I know lots of people love them) - so the whole slapping scene and the Joker makeup didn't work for me at all.

But I loved new mature Bonnie, she's still struggling but her explanation why she wanted to keep her name was very poignant. Glad Adam was okay with it. Also had to laugh at Gus's last name being Wooferton (and how the dog reacted on cue - good boy!).

• Love 8

Where the heck are Christy's kids? 

They've been disappeared. The funny thing is that there's an article linked on the home page about how Mom is the best Chuck Lorre sitcom and the description of the show says Bonnie and Christy live with Christy's two kids. Wow. Whoever wrote that hasn't watched the show since Season 1!

4 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Rather than finding the over-the-top abusive boss funny, I kept asking myself why anybody would have such little self-respect to work for somebody like that.   Christie is being treated like a servant/errand girl and if that's how she thinks she's going to have a career in law, and that this is how she is paying her dues, she ought to stick to waiting tables.  The slapping scene was horrifying to me (I never liked the 3 Stooges either) and anything but funny.   

I've only seen the commercials so far, but, yeah, I don't find slapping funny. I hated the whole "slap bet" from "How I Met Your Mother."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

Where the heck are Christy's kids?  I know Violet is an adult, but parents do still reference their adult children from time to time.  And what about Roscoe?  Does he permanently live with Baxter and his wife now?  I haven't heard them mention either of the kids in ages.

Chuck Lorre has politely requested that we don't bring them up.

When we refused, he made Violet disown Christy and big Bonnie up as someone who was the voice of sanity for her when Bonnie was as bad, if not worse as Christy.

If we keep bringing them up, he'll make Roscoe say he hates Christy, doesn't want to be involved and to let the Big Red Turd adopt him and be his mother since she is 100x better. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

I hated Violet from day one, so I don't miss her.  And I honestly think it's logical, given the way their relationship broke down, that Violet would be estranged from Christy, trashing her to anyone who will listen, etc.  And sadly, logical that she would see Bonnie in a different light.  Violet needs both a recovery group AND Al-Anon.  Would be about the only way I'd want to see her back, and on a limited basis.  Both would make her accept responsiblity for her actions (drinking, pot smoking, antagonizing her mother, blaming her mother for things that weren't always her fault, etc) while learning to forgive Christy's.

I never really cared much for Roscoe either, but found him tolerable.  When they brought Sara Rue in to the picture, I was happier when Roscoe wasn't on the show.  I don't have anything against her personally, but it was her character that I couldn't stand.  I know too many people like her - they take on "projects" (why else would she be with someone like Baxter?), and make themselves look good to others (look how I turned him around!), but also will get sympathy if it fails (well, I tried, but it's not my fault he chose his old life).  The crap she pulled with turning Roscoe against Christy really hit home, and I was glad they ended that whole thing before the inevitable where either Candace would have a baby with Baxter and Roscoe would no longer exist in her eyes, or the two split up, and she dropped Roscoe like a hot potato.  I saw this happen to friends growing up, and family members, and I know what the aftermath is.  Christy was right to detach, because there was no good outcome.  The best she can hope for is that the kids come around someday.  I think the show is right for not mentioning them, and having Christy focus on improving herself.  

• Love 6

I'm not a big fan of the slapping either but good gods was I rolling when boss lady turned to the camera with the full-on sad clown makeup.  "Oh, aren't you pretty. Whatcha got going on there?"

I loved the pot store road trip too, from them all treating it like it was a big road trip to someplace exciting and new to the collective sad resignation that it's all legal and readily available now that it's off the table for all of them.  Tammy's enthusiasm for even the most mundane things is funny.

Bonnie's struggle with the name change rang true and was nicely handled.  As a woman who didn't change her name upon getting married also well past 25 (Thanks, Wendy.) for identity issues similar to what she was having, it's always struck me as an odd thing to automatically expect, especially when the woman is older and especially when the name is one apparently none of them can spell like Janikowski.  

It does feel a little odd that the show is called Mom, yet there's nary a kid in sight unless you count the adult Bonnie-Christy relationship.  I didn't hate either of Christy's kids as they felt realistic for personalities raised in what had to be a longterm chaotic and sometimes toxic environment, but I don't really miss them much either.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

We saw Violet once last season. Violet is now an adult who has seperated from Christy. She wants nothing to do with her mother and Christy was not going to try to force a relationship her daughter does not want. The writers have pretty much wrapped up Violet's story. Roscoe is living with Candance and Baxter. Even if Roscoe is no longer living with Christy (or the actor in real life decided to leave the show) they could still mention him and what he's up to with a quick line or two, especially since Baxter still pops up every now and then. 

• Love 3

The best she can hope for is that the kids come around someday.  I think the show is right for not mentioning them, and having Christy focus on improving herself. 

I can understand the decision to eliminate the kids from the show and focus on Christy, Bonnie and their friends. That being the case, however, they should have had Baxter and Candace move away somewhere with Roscoe. Instead we actually saw Baxter last season at the car dealership where he works when Christy went to see him, and neither of them even mentioned their son. That was just odd. 

On another note, I don't understand why Bonnie and Adam are living with Christy. Adam had his own apartment. Wouldn't they rather live there for the sake of privacy? It's possible Bonnie has to live there because she's the building's super but she could still perform that job if she lived elsewhere. If nothing else, Christy could move into Adam's apartment if he intends to keep it.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, MissLucas said:

To this day I hate all the slap-bets episodes of HIMYM with a burning passion (I know lots of people love them) - so the whole slapping scene and the Joker makeup didn't work for me at all.

But I loved new mature Bonnie, she's still struggling but her explanation why she wanted to keep her name was very poignant. Glad Adam was okay with it. Also had to laugh at Gus's last name being Wooferton (and how the dog reacted on cue - good boy!).

I varied from neutral to fairly positive on this episode, but Mr. Gus Wooferton was definitely my favorite part.  (Who's a good boy?)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can understand the decision to eliminate the kids from the show and focus on Christy, Bonnie and their friends. That being the case, however, they should have had Baxter and Candace move away somewhere with Roscoe. Instead we actually saw Baxter last season at the car dealership where he works when Christy went to see him, and neither of them even mentioned their son. That was just odd. 

On another note, I don't understand why Bonnie and Adam are living with Christy. Adam had his own apartment. Wouldn't they rather live there for the sake of privacy? It's possible Bonnie has to live there because she's the building's super but she could still perform that job if she lived elsewhere. If nothing else, Christy could move into Adam's apartment if he intends to keep it.

Adam sublets his house for extra income.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

IIRC Bonnie needs to live there in order to keep her job - in exchange they don't pay rent. If Bonnie moves out Christy would have to pay rent or had to take over as building manager. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't mind the three of them sharing the apartment, but, I remember on the last show of last season that Wendy mentioned that she was living alone. Maybe, at some point she and Christy could rent an apartment together to share expenses.

• Love 1

I think it’s odd that Adam got a mat with The Janikowskis on it with Christy living there.  Even if Bonnie did take his name that doesn’t make it Christy’s.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

IIRC Bonnie needs to live there in order to keep her job - in exchange they don't pay rent. If Bonnie moves out Christy would have to pay rent or had to take over as building manager. 

Exactly. The whole reason the job includes the apartment rent free is so someone is onsite to handle after hour emergencies. Christy can move out but Bonnie can’t without changing jobs. 

11 hours ago, 60sgirl said:

I don't mind the three of them sharing the apartment, but, I remember on the last show of last season that Wendy mentioned that she was living alone. Maybe, at some point she and Christy could rent an apartment together to share expenses.

Wendy lives with 2 other nurses. Christy tried living there but they were not considerate enough of her needs.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Wendy lives with 2 other nurses. Christy tried living there but they were not considerate enough of her needs.

Wasn't it that they talked about work in all its gory details during dinner?

Why is Christy working as a secretary/personal assistant at the firm if she's studying to be a lawyer? Those are two very different career trajectories. I would think she would be doing research and other grunt work, not running perdonal errands for her boss, like buying her drugs.

I'm really sorry they went the "studying to be a lawyer" route with Christy. Social worker or paralegal would still let her help people. I think she'd be better suited to be a social worker. 

Marjorie had a good point about being subjected to marijuana smoke on the street in a way you're not subjected to alcohol. I think it's more disgusting than passing through a gaggle of tobacco smokers.

So the sales clerk at the pot store was high? How is that any different from being drunk at work? 

Is Bonnie's maiden name Plunkett? I always assumed it was a married name from a previous husband (like Susan Saradon uses her first husband's last name professionally).

Who is Paget Brewster that I should know her? I've seen the name before but I can't recall anything I might have seen her in. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

).

Who is Paget Brewster that I should know her? I've seen the name before but I can't recall anything I might have seen her in. 

She is Kathy from Friends (the best sitcom of all time)

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Emily Prentiss on Criminal Minds.

• Love 4
On 10/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, iMonrey said:

But people have to work for bosses like that because there are probably a hundred law students standing in line to take their place

I respectfully disagree with people 'having' to work for bosses like that. 

As someone who had to take over working in HR for several months, no employee - regardless of how low on the totem pole they are or how high their supervisor is - should ever EVER have to take being ordered, screamed for, demanded of....whatever.  That was verbal abuse at one of it's worse and there was nothing 'comedic' about it.  Even the employees we have at our office who have passive-aggressive behavior and have trouble taking direction or correction are carefully spoken to by their supervisor and conversation documented (believe me - I've read some of these conversations with employees who have deserved being shown the door, but due to state/HR laws that protect the employee, the words used have to be constructed very carefully in case the discharged employee files a complaint)

I don't know what it's like in law firms or how senior partners treat interns or what abusive treatment interns are willing to take in order to keep their foot in the door, but that's THEIR choice.  I know Christy is earning her water wings, but law firms are hardly scarce.  She could go somewhere else, even if it takes her a while, and find one with a supervisor who is going to groom and mentor her and not treat her like a golden retriever.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Harvey said:
17 hours ago, 60sgirl said:

In last seasons finale there was a line where Wendy mentions living alone. I think the writers may have forgotten she is supposed to have roommates. 

Regarding the kids again. I don't bind that they aren't on the show, but I would at least like them to mention Roscoe every handful of episodes. Even once a season would suffice!

Also, I really wanna know what Baxter and Roscoe's last name is, for some reason I always fanwanked that it was Hoagland.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Dani said:

Exactly. The whole reason the job includes the apartment rent free is so someone is onsite to handle after hour emergencies. Christy can move out but Bonnie can’t without changing jobs. 

Plus the whole point of the show for a long time has been Christy and Bonnie living together.    Do we really want the show to be about Bonnie and her marriage?

7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Her most famous roll is on  Criminal Minds.

2 hours ago, ctlady said:

I respectfully disagree with people 'having' to work for bosses like that. 

As someone who had to take over working in HR for several months, no employee - regardless of how low on the totem pole they are or how high their supervisor is - should ever EVER have to take being ordered, screamed for, demanded of....whatever.  That was verbal abuse at one of it's worse and there was nothing 'comedic' about it.  Even the employees we have at our office who have passive-aggressive behavior and have trouble taking direction or correction are carefully spoken to by their supervisor and conversation documented (believe me - I've read some of these conversations with employees who have deserved being shown the door, but due to state/HR laws that protect the employee, the words used have to be constructed very carefully in case the discharged employee files a complaint)

I don't know what it's like in law firms or how senior partners treat interns or what abusive treatment interns are willing to take in order to keep their foot in the door, but that's THEIR choice.  I know Christy is earning her water wings, but law firms are hardly scarce.  She could go somewhere else, even if it takes her a while, and find one with a supervisor who is going to groom and mentor her and not treat her like a golden retriever.

No one HAS TO stay at a job but there have always been reasons why people felt like it was in their best interest to do so.   In this case Christy is gaining experience in a law firm.   She isn’t the typical age for a typical intern so she has that going against her so being able to stay with the impossible boss might actually look good on her resume when she goes looking for a job when she gets her law degree.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

Also, I really wanna know what Baxter and Roscoe's last name is, for some reason I always fanwanked that it was Hoagland.

According to the Mom Wiki, Roscoe's last name is Plunkett. Baxter does not appear to have a last name (not on the regular wikipedia page or IMDB, either).

But, yeah, a mention that the kid still exists would be nice. A passing reference to what he's up to or Christy talking to him on the phone or something, at least. They gave us an in-show reason for Violet not being there. I guess we're just supposed to assume Roscoe is with Baxter and whatever relationship Christy has with him is off screen.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2019 at 1:18 PM, iMonrey said:

I felt the exact same way. 

6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

But, yeah, a mention that the kid still exists would be nice. A passing reference to what he's up to or Christy talking to him on the phone or something, at least. They gave us an in-show reason for Violet not being there. I guess we're just supposed to assume Roscoe is with Baxter and whatever relationship Christy has with him is off screen.

This is exactly what I want too. 

6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

So the sales clerk at the pot store was high? How is that any different from being drunk at work? 

I didn't think he was high. Just curious, what gave you that idea? To me, he seemed like a good modern salesman at a retail store. 

3 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I didn't think he was high. Just curious, what gave you that idea? To me, he seemed like a good modern salesman at a retail store. 

He said something like "everything in the store contains pot, including me."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Is Bonnie's maiden name Plunkett? I always assumed it was a married name from a previous husband (like Susan Saradon uses her first husband's last name professionally).

This (Adam) is actually Bonnie's first marriage. She was never married to Christy's father and doubt she even had a long term boyfriend since then. Which is why Christy's last name is Plunkett and Violet's too (since the implication is that Christy was never married to Violet's father (I think Christy was 17 when she had Violet). As to why Roscoe's last name is Plunkett (since Christy was married to his father (Baxter)) is a mystery.

• Love 1

Christy either didn't change her last name when she married Baxter or did and changed it back when they divorced, thus continuing to have the name she got from Bonnie.  Roscoe's last name also being Plunkett is just speculation, right, not something ever heard on the show?  He could actually have Baxter's unknown last name, or it could indeed be Plunkett (or a hyphenate) - while it's more common for kids in America to have their dad's last name, even if that's not also their mom's last name, it's certainly not a given.

I'm surprised Adam assumed, in this day and age and at Bonnie's age, Bonnie would change her last name because they got married, and I'm glad she didn't and look forward to hearing the conversation between them about it when I get to this episode, because it sounds good.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised Adam assumed, in this day and age and at Bonnie's age, Bonnie would change her last name because they got married, and I'm glad she didn't and look forward to hearing the conversation between them about it when I get to this episode, because it sounds good.

Adam didn't assume it, in the beginning of the episode when they were in bed Adam said "it's not a big deal for me" it was Bonnie who it was important to. The issue wasn't that she didn't change her name, but that she lied about it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Adam didn't assume it, in the beginning of the episode when they were in bed Adam said "it's not a big deal for me"

Oh good, that makes a lot more sense.  Thanks.