Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Goat Yogurt and Ample Parking

Jaded

10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Is she the woman Joey dates who Chandler falls in love with?

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Yes. It is her most prominent role.

I'd say 194 episodes of Criminal Minds trumps her six episodes of Friends, lol. I thought she was a hoot in this episode, hope we see her again.

Edited by Gothish520
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Harvey said:

Wendy lives with 2 other nurses. Christy tried living there but they were not considerate enough of her needs.

Yes, I remember the episode where Christy had dinner with Wendy and her room mates at their house, but, in the season after that, Wendy said she was living alone.

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I'd say 194 episodes of Criminal Minds trumps her six episodes of Friends, lol. I thought she was a hoot in this episode, hope we see her again.

Yep. An actor's most prominent role is always the one I've seen them in.

She has also appeared in a bunch of comedy things like Drunk History or Another Period. Or Community.  She has been in a lot of things so it's not surprising if she looks familiar.

As for Christy "having" to work for her.  If you read enough Ask A Manager, you'd know that law firms can be a hot bed of a toxic workplace behavior.  So jumping to another firm isn't necessarily a guarantee of better conditions if she even manages to find a comparable job.

• Love 2

If Roscoe's last name is indeed Plunkett, then maybe Baxter's last name was Roscoe and he was given Christy's last name so he wouldn't be "Roscoe Roscoe" LOL.

Also it might depend on if Roscoe was born BEFORE or AFTER Christy married Baxter. Before it would make a lot of sense since children who are born out of wedlock sometimes have their mother's name. Violet said Baxter was her stepfather for 6 years and the wedding video Bonnie showed Adam said that Christy and Baxter got married in 2004. Blake Garrett Rosenthal was also born in 2004 but Roscoe could be a year or two older.

Speculating is fun.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sarah 103 said:

We saw Violet once last season. Violet is now an adult who has seperated from Christy. She wants nothing to do with her mother and Christy was not going to try to force a relationship her daughter does not want. The writers have pretty much wrapped up Violet's story. Roscoe is living with Candance and Baxter. Even if Roscoe is no longer living with Christy (or the actor in real life decided to leave the show) they could still mention him and what he's up to with a quick line or two, especially since Baxter still pops up every now and then. 

This was my whole point.  Like I said, I understand Violet is an adult.  Given the relationship (or lack thereof) between her and Christy, I wouldn't expect to actually see her on screen.  But as someone who has dealt with an estranged family situation, people do still talk about their estranged family members.  Especially when it's their own kids who they once actually had a relationship with.  But I get why it's just easier to pretend she doesn't even exist for the sake of the show.  The Roscoe thing is completely different and crazy to me because he's not an adult, and although he and Christy had their problems as he got older, it's not like he completely hated her.  I remember he wanted to live with Baxter and Candace, but still it's weird to completely erase a kid his age without even referencing him here and there.  Christy is now basically written as someone who doesn't even have kids, and that's just strange to me considering being a struggling single mom was such a huge part of her identity, and she still has a minor child whose life she could be involved with even if he doesn't live with her. 

*Just wanted to add that I see some people on here don't like Violet.  As someone who grew up with an alcoholic parent, I relate to her character and I can understand why she acted out in certain ways.  She was the adult for many years in that house, and she was responsible for not only herself but also Roscoe and for taking care of Christy as well when she was drunk/high.  I can completely understand Violet not wanting to have anything to do with her mom at this point.  Christy basically did the same with Bonnie for a number of years.  Having to deal with an addict parent as a child can cause some serious issues.  Sometimes as an adult you feel the need to distance yourself from all of that, even if the parent is in recovery.  Everything that happened to you doesn't magically disappear just because your parent no longer drinks/does drugs.  Adult children of addicts often need to remove themselves from that parent (and sometimes the family in general) in order to heal.

Edited by TheLotusFlower
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, TheLotusFlower said:

*Just wanted to add that I see some people on here don't like Violet.  As someone who grew up with an alcoholic parent, I relate to her character and I can understand why she acted out in certain ways.  She was the adult for many years in that house, and she was responsible for not only herself but also Roscoe and for taking care of Christy as well when she was drunk/high.  I can completely understand Violet not wanting to have anything to do with her mom at this point.  Christy basically did the same with Bonnie for a number of years.  Having to deal with an addict parent as a child can cause some serious issues.  Sometimes as an adult you feel the need to distance yourself from all of that, even if the parent is in recovery.  Everything that happened to you doesn't magically disappear just because your parent no longer drinks/does drugs.  Adult children of addicts often need to remove themselves from that parent (and sometimes the family in general) in order to heal.

I didn't like her.  I was glad to see her go, but some of that may be due to the actress being very unlikeable to me.  I'm a spouse of a recovering alcoholic, so I get the whole caretaker mentality.  We were never able to have kids, but he WAS my kid for quite some time - and add in that he was an abused child, so he relied on me WAY too much for the simplest things.  I lost my identity in the process, as I was super confused as to where the line was drawn anymore.

I'd be OK with her coming back occasionally, but I'd want her to be in recovery.  They were absolutely right to detach from one another - it's what recovery teaches you when it's not healthy for either party to maintain a relationship.  It also teaches you that you have to own your responsibilities as well and can't blame everything on the alcoholic, like Violet is doing now with her nasty podcast.  I shouldn't have taken over the role of my husband's mom.  I now own that.  Some of the issues we're still having are largely my fault, and we're working on them, and I'm learning where to draw the line, and make him stand on his own two feet.

As for Roscoe, the last I had seen him, Candace was doing her best to destroy the relationship between him and his mom, and I figured she just finally succeeded.  I didn't mind Roscoe or Baxter, but couldn't stand Candace, and if she's part of the deal, I'm glad to have them gone too.  And as long as Baxter is still getting high, it's not good for Christy to be around him either.  YMMV.

I wish they had done a better promo for this episode. I watched and really enjoyed it. The trip to the dispensary was really funny. I also liked that Christy wasn't made to look like a fool and came across like a competent person.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, TheLotusFlower said:

This was my whole point.  Like I said, I understand Violet is an adult.  Given the relationship (or lack thereof) between her and Christy, I wouldn't expect to actually see her on screen.  But as someone who has dealt with an estranged family situation, people do still talk about their estranged family members.  Especially when it's their own kids who they once actually had a relationship with.  But I get why it's just easier to pretend she doesn't even exist for the sake of the show.  The Roscoe thing is completely different and crazy to me because he's not an adult, and although he and Christy had their problems as he got older, it's not like he completely hated her.  I remember he wanted to live with Baxter and Candace, but still it's weird to completely erase a kid his age without even referencing him here and there.  Christy is now basically written as someone who doesn't even have kids, and that's just strange to me considering being a struggling single mom was such a huge part of her identity, and she still has a minor child whose life she could be involved with even if he doesn't live with her. 

Im prob in the minority opinion. That Violet whole a brat, and self centred. Tbh I always Thought Sadie played her very realistically. I Diddnt mind the actress. 

That’s what a teenager is Was a principal character. That gave Christy sympathy as an protagonist. I don’t see any real point having Violet or Baxter a frequent part of Christys life. Violets made it clear she doesen’t want a relationship. Despite acknowledging Christys turned her life around. I mean heck look at Christy and Bonnies relationship. They only got back into each other’s life as Adults. 

As for the episode. I thought it was solid. 

Edited by BrianGriffin17

Violet is an adult and was never a particularly likable character anyway, so good riddance. It would be nice to at least get an occasional reference to Roscoe, since he is still a minor. Just a quick, "Roscoe got an 'A' on his math test", that Christy shares with the gang would be sufficient. I kind of miss the semi-regular appearance by Baxter, too, he can be very amusing. But I guess Candace has him on a short leash.

• Love 1

I can understand the decision to eliminate the kids from the show and focus on Christy, Bonnie and their friends. That being the case, however, they should have had Baxter and Candace move away somewhere with Roscoe. Instead we actually saw Baxter last season at the car dealership where he works when Christy went to see him, and neither of them even mentioned their son. That was just odd. 

Well, Violet has a podcast about how much she hates her mother, so in that respect, I'm glad she's not a regular recurring character. Girl needs therapy. Also, Bonnie never reconciled with HER mother.

I did like Roscoe, though. The child actor had an appealing sad-sack quality, and it really was apparent he'd be better off with people who had time to spend with him (in terms of Christy letting Roscoe live with Baxter/Candace, that was the right decision for her to make.)

Though I would like to hear whether Roscoe has continued to get high & drink.

The show is so much better now that it's not about a vaguely nuclear family. I didn't watch much the first couple of seasons, but became a HUGE fan when it became apparent that the "family" is the women in recovery. (And have filled in a lot while unemployed with those delightful 2am Nick at Nite blocks.)

On 10/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, MissLucas said:

For once I think Candace is not to blame. Matt Jones has a new regular gig on Bob Hearts Abishola.

And he plays basically the same character, a pot smoking slacker.

• Love 2