Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Return of the Masks, Group D

• Start Topic

I honestly thought the eagle was Howard Stern. It sounded like him and the eagle's theatrics matched too. I looked up Dr. Drew's height and he is 6'0." Howard Stern is about 5" taller according to the Google. He was fun to watch even though his singing voice wasn't great.

I really want to know who the Fox is. He had a very interesting voice.

Is the Flower someone recognizable? Her singing voice sounded fairly distinct.

• Love 4

I must live in the dark! I have no idea who Dr. Drew is! Will have to google him. I also still have no idea who the YouTube guy is either. Guess I need to get out more!

I also wish they would tie Ken to his chair and gag him!!

Edited by suebee12
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I missed Flower and I’m really bummed. If people are guessing Patti LaBelle, she must have been good. I’ll rewach tomorrow.

Dr. Drew was a complete surprise. The eagle head made him seem taller so Howard Stern was a good guess. Dr. Drew was not good, but he was less horrible than I would have thought he would be.

I did not think the Fox’s voice was as good as a professional singer. He had good stage presence though. 

I hope we have guest judges later on. Jenny and Ken are terrible guessers and they aren’t funny. They should be forbidden to guess Jamie Fox anymore. Kenan Thompson was great last year. Too bad he is probably too busy to be a permanent judge.

• Love 7

I found last nights show extremely dull for some reason, even though I liked all the voices other than the Eagle/Drew. 

The panel needs new phrases.  Especially Jenny & Ken.  Or kicked off & replaced which would be better.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 7

Dr. Drew was a complete surprise!  I also was totally convinced it was Howard Stern.

I was 100% convinced the Fox was Neil Patrick Harris with the package- Doogie Howser, "superhero"= Dr. Horrible (he was the villain, but still) and then the little fox because he's a dad.  But from the very first note I knew it wasn't him.   I feel like this show is totally up his alley so I am surprised he hasn't been on yet.  

I think the Penguin is Sherri Shepherd.  When she was talking after her performance I think it sounded like her. 

9 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

deleted post because i typed my guesses of who the performers were tonight, and i think that belongs in the clues discussion thread.

You can make guesses in the episode threads. 

• Love 2

Every guess last season was "I think it's Raven Symone" "I think it's Sherri Shepard"  and now every guess this season is "I think it's Raven Symone"  "I think it's Sherri Shepard" C'mon people, come up with some new guesses!

Oh, another one - "It's Jamie Foxx".  Just stop

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Unraveled said:

I honestly thought the eagle was Howard Stern. It sounded like him and the eagle's theatrics matched too. I looked up Dr. Drew's height and he is 6'0." Howard Stern is about 5" taller according to the Google. He was fun to watch even though his singing voice wasn't great.

I was also convinced that it was Howard Stern.  I follow Stern's wife on IG and she has a post of Howard singing to one of their cats and it really sounded just like him.  I was shocked to discover it was Dr. Drew.  In fact, I didn't even realize it was Dr. Drew until the chiron (or Nick?  Can't remember) identified him.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Unraveled said:

I really want to know who the Fox is. He had a very interesting voice.

Is the Flower someone recognizable? Her singing voice sounded fairly distinct.

I thought that he didn't do that bad.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Every guess last season was "I think it's Raven Symone" "I think it's Sherri Shepard"  and now every guess this season is "I think it's Raven Symone"  "I think it's Sherri Shepard" C'mon people, come up with some new guesses!

Don't forget Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.

• Love 1

I was thinking the Flower was Reba, until the end.  Maybe Reba can hit those notes, not sure.  Not many could.

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I thought that he didn't do that bad.

Right on Dr Drew!  I was thinking Wayne Brady

• Love 1
7 hours ago, roughing it said:

I agree. Those are either really lazy guesses, or the panel comes to the show with some prepared family-friendly names to generate buzz and fill airtime. But seriously, you can’t have Wayne Brady on the show twice and you aren’t guaranteed to get him once. Maybe there are other people who can sing!

14 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I got Wayne Brady immediately from the fox. Sounds exactly like him. 

And he played Neil Patrick Harris's half brother on How I met your Mother.  I don't know about the doubtfire clue, but didn't he play on Broadway in Kinky Boots?  That's a drag role.

I somehow guessed Dr Drew about 2 seconds before he took the mask off.

Think the flower is Patti LaBelle. Especially the cooking clue. Doesn't she have a line of pies? I also think it sounds like her.

• Love 1

I really enjoy the singing and seeing who is behind the masks, but the judges (are they actually judges on this show?) really ruin it for me -- I can't stand them, except for Thicke.  Ken and Jenny are especially annoying.  I'm another one who FFs through their nonsense.  The show would be much more enjoyable with a more likable panel.

• Love 3

Well, my guesses about the Eagle were completely wrong, but I knew that as soon as he started singing, so...

When the Flower started singing, I kind of got a Tina Turner vibe, but with her health issues I'm pretty sure it's not her.  Also, I'm not sure I was listening to the same thing the judges were-I thought her singing was ok, but not as great as they were making it out to be.

As soon as the Fox started singing I thought "that's Wayne Brady", but the Doogie Howser reference is confusing me.

The Penguin was fun, and is likely a comedienne 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, suebee12 said:

I must live in the dark! I have no idea who Dr. Drew is! Will have to google him. I also still have no idea who the YouTube guy is either. Guess I need to get out more!

I'm right there with you!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Well, my guesses about the Eagle were completely wrong, but I knew that as soon as he started singing, so...

When the Flower started singing, I kind of got a Tina Turner vibe, but with her health issues I'm pretty sure it's not her.  Also, I'm not sure I was listening to the same thing the judges were-I thought her singing was ok, but not as great as they were making it out to be.

As soon as the Fox started singing I thought "that's Wayne Brady", but the Doogie Howser reference is confusing me.

The Penguin was fun, and is likely a comedienne 

I'm right there with you!

Wayne played NPH's half brother on How I met your mother. 

• Love 2

I did not see Dr. Drew coming at all! He actually wasnt half bad. Not great, but not terrible at all. I am definitely thinking Wayne Brady as The Fox, it sounds just like him! Was he ever on Doogie Houser? 

This show has really upped its game with creative production and costumes, they all have so much life and personality, regardless of who is inside. I saw some commercials for it last season thought it looked kind of...half assed, but they look great here.

Is it me or do the judges keep making the same guesses over and over again? They are also getting on my nerves, are they always like that? Especially Ken, who I normally like, he is just always up to 11, which is a lot to deal with on a show where EVERYTHING is up to 11. 

30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am definitely thinking Wayne Brady as The Fox, it sounds just like him! Was he ever on Doogie Houser? 

No, but he worked with NPH on How I Met Your Mother. He played Barney's brother so they have worked together.

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

And he played Neil Patrick Harris's half brother on How I met your Mother.  I don't know about the doubtfire clue, but didn't he play on Broadway in Kinky Boots?  That's a drag role.

I somehow guessed Dr Drew about 2 seconds before he took the mask off.

Think the flower is Patti LaBelle. Especially the cooking clue. Doesn't she have a line of pies? I also think it sounds like her.

Wayne Brady has worked with Robin Williams, ie Doutfire.

The Fox has Wayne Brady's voice, his class, and his stage presence. Gotta be him, he stands similarly. Been watching him since he started in Whose Line in 1998. I know it's early days, but I'll be surprised if it's not him.

Very surprised at Dr Drew, but of course I've never heard him sing before. Glad it wasn't Carollla.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Carrots4 said:

Although didn’t Gladys Knight claim that “Patti can’t cook” last season during her identity reveal?

She did but she followed it up with “I taught Patti everything she knows.”  Patti LaBelle had a cooking show and has written multiple cookbooks in addition in addition to her line of pies. 

I have a problem with the judging this season. With the introduction of someone potentially as famous as Patti La Belle, and the changing in judging rules (where now the judges clearly get the final say vs being part of the audience vote last year), I feel that this is going to become a showcase for "reward the most famous singer." And true showmen and performers like the Fox, or even someone like the Rottweiler, are never going to beat the likes of the Flower because their voices simply aren't as good.

At its core, I do feel like this show should be more like American Idol or Dancing with the Stars -- where the best performer, not necessarily the best pure singer/dancer wins. But if there are people still grumbling that the Monster beat Gladys Knight (the superior singer losing to the superior performer), this seems like a massive overcorrection. And I see little incentive to do this show unless you're massively famous, because the judges having the ultimate say means that they're going to reward someone based on their career outside the mask, not behind the mask. It makes it less fun, that's all.

I watch this show for hidden gems like the Monster (where I'd never heard of T-Pain, but I loved watching the Monster because he could sing and perform) not "oh, that household name singer? breaking news: they can actually sing!"

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I have a problem with the judging this season. With the introduction of someone potentially as famous as Patti La Belle, and the changing in judging rules (where now the judges clearly get the final say vs being part of the audience vote last year), I feel that this is going to become a showcase for "reward the most famous singer." And true showmen and performers like the Fox, or even someone like the Rottweiler, are never going to beat the likes of the Flower because their voices simply aren't as good.

At its core, I do feel like this show should be more like American Idol or Dancing with the Stars -- where the best performer, not necessarily the best pure singer/dancer wins. But if there are people still grumbling that the Monster beat Gladys Knight (the superior singer losing to the superior performer), this seems like a massive overcorrection. And I see little incentive to do this show unless you're massively famous, because the judges having the ultimate say means that they're going to reward someone based on their career outside the mask, not behind the mask. It makes it less fun, that's all.

I watch this show for hidden gems like the Monster (where I'd never heard of T-Pain, but I loved watching the Monster because he could sing and perform) not "oh, that household name singer? breaking news: they can actually sing!"

I don’t necessarily disagree, I do think it should be a combination of singing and performance.  I think that’s why Gladys was eliminated before Donny, Donny gave better performances.  Although Gladys said that her costume was so intricate that it was difficult to move and she wished we were able to move more.  

I don’t think Monster was that great of a performer.  He moved more than Gladys for sure, but a lot of his performance was in his costume, which of course he had little to do with.  He was a decent enough singer but I’m ticked off that he beat out Gladys (and Joey) mainly because it was so obvious that the show was fixed for him.  They gave him this cuddly costume that the panel (Jenny and Nicole) fell in love with.  They gave him the powerhouse song “Stay With Me” and it was just obvious he was going to win.

I do feel like the panel annointed him the winner, so it the complaint is that the panel has too much power, then I would agree.

I think the main difference between this season and last is that this season has so many more talented singers as compared to last.  I’m not sure if there is a “judge’s darling” this season but I suspect it might be the Thingamajig.  

If I were to pick the Final 4, I would say Black Widow, Flower, Rottweiler and Butterfly.  I think Patti is easily the best singer but I see her going out at #3, unless she starts moving around more.  I wish that wouldn’t be a complaint against her but I could see her losing because of it.  Interestingly, on the German version of this show (spoilering in case others want to find it online somewhere and be surprised)

the winner appeared to be a professional singer who only sang soulful ballads, including, yes, “Stay With Me”.

. And didn’t lose for just standing there and singing like I think Patti will be doing.

Rottweiler and Butterfly and Black Widow have more complete packages.  I’d be happy to see any of them win.  I find both the Fox and the Leopard a little annoying.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Is there not going to be a new episode next week? Because the only other listing that I see is for Saturday and that's it.

World Series starts next week, and it's almost every day so I imagine they will just preempt most shows for a week.

• Love 2

All it's missing is Nicole claiming either that the person is not a real singer (unlike her) or the person is old(er than her.)

I know Jenny and Ken get rightly shit on, but Nicole is also awful in her own insecure and self-centered way.

• Love 2

FLower is definitely old school like Gladys.  It's obviously a mature famous voice - and the judges obviously know it but someone mentioned it could be someone younger and I'm like whaaaaat?? Like I know they kinda have to give way off options.. but c'mon... from their original reactions they know they're in the presence of greatness. 

• Love 1