Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

E.gregious, I do agree with what you’ve said. I’m not Catholic and am not an atheist. I am a Christian just so you know. I think this young woman has had severe anxiety for many years which has resulted in this behavioiur. I think she just checks out before any anxiety provoking event, as her sister said. I did notice that at the end of the show when Shill offered for her to go to the PCP center, she was very appreciative. Then they showed the sister for a few seconds and she was very dubious with a frown on her face. Is it possible that the sister and mother don’t want to be proven to be wrong after all of these years? I can’t even imagine why anyone wouldn’t want their family member to get the help she needs to live a full, happy life with her husband and her child. Perhaps, once this woman is living a normal life, her mother and sister won’t have this dramatic stuff to focus on in their own lives? Just a thought.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Showthyme said:

Yes. Where in the world is Jack Trimarco? Haven't seen him in awhile.

He woke up one day, looked in the mirror and saw himself smiling.  So he had to go visit Robin.

4 hours ago, patty1h said:

I saw the preview for the episode with the woman who believes that she was possessed by the devil for years and now suffers from PTSD.  They showed her rolling on the floor babbling, etc., then her going into a "spell" right on the stage.  Some of these people who Phil tries to help are definitely mentally ill, but what I saw was some chick who was looking for attention.  What puzzles me more is that her mother and sister believe this.  I wonder if these three just wanted a free trip to LA, and to get on TV for the thrill.  I will probably be back after I watch the episode.

I saw the preview also.  I decided to switch it to another channel to record a very old episode of Dragnet, which was much more interesting.  The possessed lady episode will be on again in the morning on OWN if I can bring myself to record it then.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm a lapsed Catholic who doesn't believe in demon possession, so I side-eye this story like crazy.  

After watching the woman with PTSD, I don't know what the hell.  Is Phil and his doctor friend saying that they believe that she was possessed all those times and the PTSD is triggered by a part of her brain that "stores the bad things that happened in her past"?  Her brain makes her fall on the floor with seizure like symptoms and pass out 20+ times a day?  OK, sure. 

I think that Phil is nervous about a backlash from the religious folks in the viewing audience if he pooh-poohs the idea of devils/demons.  There are some segments who believe the devil is real, and it's not worth the headache to piss off those people and raise a potential outcry from angry Christians.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, patty1h said:

I'm a lapsed Catholic who doesn't believe in demon possession, so I side-eye this story like crazy.  

After watching the woman with PTSD, I don't know what the hell.  Is Phil and his doctor friend saying that they believe that she was possessed all those times and the PTSD is triggered by a part of her brain that "stores the bad things that happened in her past"?  Her brain makes her fall on the floor with seizure like symptoms and pass out 20+ times a day?  OK, sure. 

I think that Phil is nervous about a backlash from the religious folks in the viewing audience if he pooh-poohs the idea of devils/demons.  There are some segments who believe the devil is real, and it's not worth the headache to piss off those people and raise a potential outcry from angry Christians.

He  was treading a fine line there but I don't think it was about religious viewers.  It was not to shut her down to the help he was going to offer. He said all of her symptoms can be found in conditions that are not about possession but did not say she is wrong. . He left that to the place he sent her.  She needs to be handled carfully and that takes longer than Phil had. 

Neither he or that doctor gave any indication that possession was a possibility! 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, patty1h said:

Last month the Vatican reported there had been a three-fold increase in requests for exorcisms in Italy alone and they needed to train more exorcism-qualified Priests.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/02/23/vatican-host-international-exorcism-conference-meet-growing-demand/367735002/

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Gam2 said:

E.gregious, I do agree with what you’ve said. I’m not Catholic and am not an atheist. I am a Christian just so you know. I think this young woman has had severe anxiety for many years which has resulted in this behavioiur. I think she just checks out before any anxiety provoking event, as her sister said. I did notice that at the end of the show when Shill offered for her to go to the PCP center, she was very appreciative. Then they showed the sister for a few seconds and she was very dubious with a frown on her face. Is it possible that the sister and mother don’t want to be proven to be wrong after all of these years? I can’t even imagine why anyone wouldn’t want their family member to get the help she needs to live a full, happy life with her husband and her child. Perhaps, once this woman is living a normal life, her mother and sister won’t have this dramatic stuff to focus on in their own lives? Just a thought.

@GAM2, Yes! I saw the dubious look on the sister's face too.

I don't think it's about being right or wrong for the family, they are true believers.  The problem (as I see it), the mother and sister are one hundred percent devoted to the girl with the demons attached. What would be the reason for their existence if the girl doesn't NEED keepers (including the husband)?

I certainly hope girl gets the support and help she needs to get away from the clinging and grasping of her family.

I will have to re-watch next week on OWN.  I remember cringing at the show they were putting on; the whole jaw cracking, eye-rolling, hanky-waving exhibit.

The sister put me off right away with "there is no need to go over how we got here".  She was defensive from the start.

I don't remember what started the need for exorcisms?

• Love 1

Watched the show with Sexy Vegan's return and the woman who is afraid of food. I felt bad for the woman who really seems to have mental health issues. Hopefully she will get help to get over the food issue. She did remind me of Erika Jayne from RHOBH. Watchng Sexy Vegan just made me sad. He is a lost soul who also has serous mental health issues and no matter how much Dr. Sophy works with him, I don't see him getting rid of his delusions. I actually felt embarrassed for him.

• Love 2

I agree with Sappy's post above.   Hopefully Dr. Sophy gets Vegan to focus on his cause (which seems to be animals in cages).  First he needs to become educated on the subject and not listen to what is spread on the internet.  Great strides have been made in keeping animals properly and he can help move that process along in a responsible manner without being hysterical.   Temple Grandin is an autistic woman who was thought to be a simpleton and is now considered one of the most foremost experts on animal communication.   Vegan could be as effective.  Hopefully he will change his name back to his given one.  

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Snappy said:

I felt bad for the woman who really seems to have mental health issues. Hopefully she will get help to get over the food issue.

Based on her history with alcohol and heroin, she traded those addictions for this one.  While I appreciate that she kicked the previous habits herself, she didn’t get the education as to how to prevent the addictive personality from resorting to a different outlet.  That is what was missing.  Hopefully she will get this training where she is going.

I didn’t get a good sense whether her husband will hang in.  She has spent an awful lot of time blaming him.  He won’t play in to enabling her, which is a good thing.

• Love 3
On 3/2/2018 at 3:11 PM, TresGatos said:

Last month the Vatican reported there had been a three-fold increase in requests for exorcisms in Italy alone and they needed to train more exorcism-qualified Priests.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/02/23/vatican-host-international-exorcism-conference-meet-growing-demand/367735002/

Oh good god.  

On 3/1/2018 at 7:15 PM, parrotfeathers said:
On 3/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, Showthyme said:

Yes. Where in the world is Jack Trimarco? Haven't seen him in awhile.

He woke up one day, looked in the mirror and saw himself smiling.  So he had to go visit Robin.

High five! 

• Love 2

That repugnant waste of protoplasm who sat there and actually said his daughter not only consented to, but initiated, her abuse should really do the world a favor and put a bullet through his head. He is completely irredeemable. 

• Love 8
(edited)

OMG just saw the demon possessed woman on Dr. Phil (rerun on OWN).   How interesting that she now has THREE people in her clutches to control just by having a little fit--mom, sister and boyfriend.   She had her on episode fit to get that control back when she saw it was going down the drain.  I loved it when Dr. Phil said "your reactions to your anxiety aren't even in the top 100 I have seen" or something like that.  I bet she was thinking "darn I should have done some research."   And sis looked as if she wanted to beat him (Dr. Phil) up.

Where does he get these people?

P.S.  I wanted to watch her demon(s) levitating her.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 1

"The Mooch" continues his media tour with of all things - "Dr. Phil Show"!  I guess he must be looking for redemption but as long as he keeps saying what a great guy Trump is, I'll never enjoy his brand.

• Love 4

The mooch sure seems to have a high opinion of himself. Why his wife is still with him is a mystery to me but she didn’t seem like a rocket scientist either. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Is Dr. Phil planning to retire?  Yesterday he had "The Mooch" helping out and this was the second time I've seen Lisa Nichols ( some kind of Life Coach) working with his guests.  Are we looking at "spin offs", perhaps?  Hey, I'd watch the Mooch talking about what an ass he has been, for sure.

Edited by Caseysgirl
Extra word

It makes me crazy when people (in this case, Lisa Nichols) call a photograph a “pitcher”. A pitcher is a vessel that holds liquids. A picture is also not a photograph. It also makes me crazy when people act like they’re crying (today’s mother) and yet produce no tears. Usually Shill calls them out on that but not today.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Gam2 said:

It also makes me crazy when people act like they’re crying (today’s mother) and yet produce no tears. Usually Shill calls them out on that but not today.

Oh yes...she was a fake cryer for sure.  I think she thought she was auditioning for a soap opera or a role on Real Housewives of Orange County.  I didn’t finish the show because of the local weather hysterics (we are getting rain! AND snow! In winter! In New England!).

• Love 4
On 3/7/2018 at 11:22 AM, ButterQueen said:

My TV listing is always wrong about this show.  Anyone else?

Comcast dropped the local channel that showed Dr. Phill at 5:00 p.m. so I have the choice of OWN at 5:00 a.m. where the description is correct or COZI at 7:00 p.m. where the description is always off by 1 or 2 days and where you have to flip back and forth to get the sound to come on.

• Love 1

Today the woman who lost 300 pounds is in a very dangerous marriage and I don't see this improving. The help he gave was skin removal for her.  Nothing else.  I think Phil saw that nothing would help.   

Of course her extra skin doesn’t bother him, it keeps her from wandering.  He checked her underwear when she returned home!  This is a Dateline episode in the making.  

• Love 4

Yeah, today’s show was just creepy. That guy kept playing the sad victim saying you can beat me up, you can blame me for everything, I’m a man, I can take it. Wow. If that kind of talk isn’t a clue to this guy’s character, I don’t know what would be. She needs to run far away from that control freak. Her daughter was so right about him.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Yeah, today’s show was just creepy. That guy kept playing the sad victim saying you can beat me up, you can blame me for everything, I’m a man, I can take it. Wow. If that kind of talk isn’t a clue to this guy’s character, I don’t know what would be. She needs to run far away from that control freak. Her daughter was so right about him.

And she just seemed like a nervous wreck, I felt bad for her.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 2:41 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Is Dr. Phil planning to retire?  Yesterday he had "The Mooch" helping out and this was the second time I've seen Lisa Nichols ( some kind of Life Coach) working with his guests.  Are we looking at "spin offs", perhaps?  Hey, I'd watch the Mooch talking about what an ass he has been, for sure.

Delete delete delete.  Hubby has the news on all day and the last thing I want on Dr. Phil is politicians.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Just start using Robin's Revelation skin care. We can all be beautiful.

Are you really?  Or just making a funny?  If it's true, do you like it?

22 hours ago, Wings said: He checked her underwear when she returned home!

He checked her underwear when she returned home!

Ok, I know I'm going to sound either naive or stupid (or both) but what is he checking for?  If it's his (the other man) or her bodily fluids, couldn't she just shower and or carry an extra pair of panties with her?  That would be an ABSOLUTE deal-breaker if my husband wanted to check my underwear.  It's just gross, actually, the idea of his sniffing the crotch.  Eeeeeewwwww!!!

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Ok, I know I'm going to sound either naive or stupid (or both) but what is he checking for?  If it's his (the other man) or her bodily fluids, couldn't she just shower and or carry an extra pair of panties with her?  That would be an ABSOLUTE deal-breaker if my husband wanted to check my underwear.  It's just gross, actually, the idea of his sniffing the crotch.  Eeeeeewwwww!!!

Looking for evidence of intercourse with someone else. 

3 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I was being sarcastic regarding Mrs. Mcgraw's skin care products.

On 3/10/2018 at 4:26 PM, slasherboy said:

Solution: Go commando. Just stop wearing underwear. Voila! No place to check for "evidence of intercourse". LOL

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Solution: Go commando. Just stop wearing underwear. Voila! No place to check for "evidence of intercourse". LOL

Hardly.  A suspicious person will simply make up a reason for why they should be suspicious.

* Your bra and panties are matched?  You're seeing someone else.
* You're wearing a thong?  You're seeing someone else.  God help you if you're wearing a matching bra and thong, because you're probably taking pictures of the event.
* Your pantyhose is inside out?  You were in a hurry to get them off when you visited your other romantic partner and were in a hurry to get them back on again before you came home.  Yep.  You're seeing someone else.
* You're not wearing any underwear?  You left them behind after your interlude with your illicit lover.  You slut.  And he or she is probably cuddling up with the abandoned underwear right now, which makes them a pervert.  You're both slutty perverts.
* You're on your period?  You can't fool me, you're seeing someone else, and you're both sicko's for having sexy times during this time of your cycle.
* You're in labor?  You're about to become a mother and here you are spreading out for anyone who walks in.  Why are you being so free with your body?  You're obviously a slut who is trolling for a new lay, unless you're already seeing someone on the medical staff.  Is this even my kid?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Zahdii said:

Hardly.  A suspicious person will simply make up a reason for why they should be suspicious.

OK. I was going to reply and say that this is true and also far less funny than what I posted....... Then I read the rest of your post and was howling with laughter by the end of it. So, while I know you are deadly serious, you're also aces at creating comedy gold at the same time. I would like your post more than once if it were allowed!

7 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Seriously?  John Taffer?  This show is scraping bottom w/zero redeeming qualities.  Someone, ANYONE, should cancel this train wreck.

I am very excited to watch that episode! I love Bar Rescue!

• Love 3

I used to like Bar Rescue too but what the hell does he have to offer to this screwed up couple and their screwed up son? And why does Shill need so much back up lately? I guess his staff sees what we’re seeing with his decline and are trying to keep the show going so those 300 people will remain employed. 

• Love 2

The bar rescue guy is going to help with Failure to Launch man boy? Is Dr. Lawlis not taking any new clients at PNP? Robin isn’t going to offer his mom some lotions and potions? 

Manboy has a permanent pout face. 

Dr. Phil needs to get a lawyer on the show to tell parents how to evict these adult children. Manboy said that he has his own residence but he expects his parents to let him back in the house.

• Love 4

I hate the stretching out to two episodes.  If I knew that this was a twofer, I could have waited until tomorrow.  I was home sick but I still didn’t have that much time to waste.......Of course I’m ignoring the fact that the Dr. Phil show is a waste of time in general. But sometimes you just need to waste some time.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Showthyme said:

Dr. Phil needs to get a lawyer on the show to tell parents how to evict these adult children. Manboy said that he has his own residence but he expects his parents to let him back in the house.

That's what I was thinking. their situation was a mess, but I gathered he wasn't paying rent, so filing an unlawful detainer should do it. I don't know if someone really told them that as long as someone lists an address on their ID, there is nothing the property owner can do, or whether they made that up to show their victimhood, I have no idea. The kid is a major fuckup, and has been aided and abetted by mom and dad for years. I loled when mom and dad congratulated themselves on sitting outside a college 5 days a week to make sure he went to school. Then as soon as he graduates he gets pinched for stealing drugs. What a shock!! These parents are more enablers than victims. To say that your 31 year old, seemingly functional son can't  live outside  your cocoon leads me to believe there's a lot of codependence going on.  

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

To say that your 31 year old, seemingly functional son can't  live outside  your cocoon leads me to believe there's a lot of codependence going on.  

I strongly suspect that should you go look up "codependence" in the dictionary, they'll be referenced with a "See also: Family on Dr. Phil S2039, E451" (or whatever actual season and episode they're on).

Going to watch Part 2 of Failure to Launch tonight.   He's 31 years old.  How does he get anyone interested in a relationship when he still lives at home?   Whoever it was would have to move in with him?  I guess he could find someone if he looked hard enough that would take him in and let him stay home during the day while she/he made a living.

This entire two hour show was an absolute waste of time. Shill was inept, Jon kept saying the same things over and over, the 31 year old child kept saying the same things over and over, etc. I won’t give away why Shill had Jon on his show but if you watch it, you’ll find out. What a bunch of grifters!!!!!

5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Going to watch Part 2 of Failure to Launch tonight.   He's 31 years old.  How does he get anyone interested in a relationship when he still lives at home?   Whoever it was would have to move in with him?  I guess he could find someone if he looked hard enough that would take him in and let him stay home during the day while she/he made a living.

You must not watch Judge Judy. There are seemingly hundreds, maybe thousands, of desperate women who take in losers like this- and then sue them when they find them talking to their baby mamas or other “females” ??

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shksabelle said:

You must not watch Judge Judy. There are seemingly hundreds, maybe thousands, of desperate women who take in losers like this- and then sue them when they find them talking to their baby mamas or other “females” ??

I love Judge Judy!  And I agree with you.  JJ always tells them what a loser they have along with "you seem like an intelligent human being."

12 hours ago, Gam2 said:

This entire two hour show was an absolute waste of time. Shill was inept, Jon kept saying the same things over and over, the 31 year old child kept saying the same things over and over, etc. I won’t give away why Shill had Jon on his show but if you watch it, you’ll find out. What a bunch of grifters!!!!!

I think it's called a new book?

15 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

He said he had a girlfriend. It takes all kinds

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:
14 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I think it's called a new book?

Donn't forget Shill and mini-Shill are co-executive producing Jon's new show. If Shill wanted to see riding your parent's coattails in action, he needs to look at his own kid. 

• Love 4

Watched today's show about the mom who had the out of control daughter who among other things was caught doing blackface. I think Phil and the sister were actually on target when they suggested that the daughter might be out of control because the mom was a functioning alcoholic. However, they implied that mom had other kids or least another son?  I'm assuming that he turned out ok-ish?

• Love 1

I did watch today’s show and noticed that Shill has a whole new group of therapy places to send people that he’s never mentioned before. Apparently, he’s worn out the “Turn About Ranch” for the kids and “Origins” for the parents. My husband and I have an ongoing bet as to which one he’ll send someone to depending on whether or not they’re kids or adults. And then, of course, at the end of the show, he had to Shill AGAIN for Robin’s crap. We’ve had a few weeks without that nonsense so I was hoping it was finally over after all of the complaining we’ve done for so long. Nope. Can those people not undertand that we can see Robin’s plastic surgery and huge fake teeth (despite how many times Shill denies it)? 

• Love 1

My station repeated this morning the show about the lady who wanted to leave her husband of 18 years and four children, and marry a "pastor" in Kenya.  The info said it was filmed in November (and I remember seeing it then), she wanted to leave in February when their income tax refund came in - but the Good Doctor asked her to wait and think about it for 90 days.  Well, here's my question.  It's March now, it's been 90 days and more, and how hard would it be to offer the audience an Update on what has happened ?    

Sometimes they will give carefully chose updates five or ten years later.  If we're supposed to care about these people, and I sort of am wondering about this story, it would be nice to have a later version of "After the Taping".   (I would post this question on the show's web site, but the access there to actually comment has shrunk to nothing.)  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Chippings said:

it's been 90 days and more, and how hard would it be to offer the audience an Update on what has happened ?    

How hard would it be?  Well, it depends on what the outcome was.  If it wasn't favorable to him and his, we'll never hear about it again.  We only hear about the success stories and they are becoming fewer and farther between.

• Love 4

Dear Dr. Phil show--I don't know which is worse--

1). the fact you just HAD to have someone on your show that gets a thrill out of killing helpless creatures, 

or

2). the fact that she does it.  

No place on this earth can fix this sicko.  I deleted it at the intro.  No way will you draw me into this sensationalism for ratings.  I'd rather watch Robin and her face cream stuff.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Dear Dr. Phil show--I don't know which is worse--

1). the fact you just HAD to have someone on your show that gets a thrill out of killing helpless creatures, 

or

2). the fact that she does it.  

No place on this earth can fix this sicko.  I deleted it at the intro.  No way will you draw me into this sensationalism for ratings.  I'd rather watch Robin and her face cream stuff.

I didn't watch, either.  If this horrible person really killed small animals for the thrill, and filmed it, why isn't she in jail or a psychiatric facility? 

From the intro, it sounded like her mother was also a horrible person.  Who texts their daughter to "Just kill yourself'?

• Love 3